Chapter 32: Bang Yong-guk's Doppelganger

A K-Pop Utopia (A Black Kitty Series, Book 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We left the hotel in a black SUV and drove around town to get doughnuts. I could only think of one place to get them: the store where Zoey, Christine and I met B.A.P. 

"Wait, you're taking us to that store?" Daniel asked after I suggested we go there. 

"I know there are many other doughnut places," I said as I sat in the front passenger seat, staring ahead, "but that's the only place I could think of." 

"And besides, the doughnuts there are just delicious," said Zoey. I saw her through the rearview mirror her lips. 

"I wish we were there when you met B.A.P," said Mike. 

"Ya, you guys had your boys night out," said Christine. "Maybe these coming days, you'll get to meet them." 

"I still don't get why you all want doughnuts," said Lee who sat with Zoey and Christine behind me. 

"Because we want something sweet to lift our spirits," said Zoey, as she dramatically lifted her hands. 

"You should have just ordered candy instead." 

"You know all this is just an excuse to get out of the hotel," I said as I smiled to myself. 

"I thought as much." 

"We should hang around for a bit before going back," said Mike. 

"You sound just like Zoey," said Christine. 

"Well, I'm glad someone gets me on this one," said Zoey as I saw her smile back at Mike. 

"Come on, guys," said Lee. "We can't stay out for too long. You've a song to work on." 

"We know, Lee," said Daniel. "But it won't hurt just to have a little fun." 

"That's why you're only going out to get doughnuts and that's it. Collins will be mad if he knows that you have been out doing nothing but having fun." 

"Sadly, that's what we all plan on doing," said Zoey. 

"Sam, please, tell your crew that we can't stay out for more than an hour," said Lee as she looked at me. 

As much as I didn't want to admit it, Lee was right. We had work to do. And now that most of the BTW members weren't going to show up, we had to work on the song ourselves. I understand the other's will to have a fun free time, but that would have to wait. 

"We have to listen to Lee, guys," I said. "We get the doughnuts and leave." 

"You're so not fun," said Zoey. 

"Tell that to our managers," I turned to give Zoey a smirk. 

"Ooh, here we are," said Christine, looking out of the window. 

We were here, alright. And the little blue and pink store with a white coloured roof, shone brightly like a house you can only find in candy land. There was a free parking space right in front of the store and the driver took it. The five of us Toxins and Lee soon stepped out of the car. 

The six of us all headed for the door. Mike was there first, so he stood there to keep it open while the rest of us went inside. 

There weren't many sitting booths inside and the place was almost empty except for a middle aged Korean couple who sat in the booth close to the counter. They didn't seem to notice us as they were engaged in some conversation only meant for the two of them. I noticed them smiling at each other as they had a plate of doughnuts in between them with cups of coffee. They looked so adorable that I also couldn't help but smile. 

"Awww!" Zoey said admirably but again, almost too loud that I quickly had to hit her on the arm. 

"Ouch," she looked at me angrily. 

"Don't make it so obvious that you're looking at them," I whispered. "It almost feels like you're invading their privacy." 

"Please, I don't think they would mind," said Zoey as she went to one of the booth on the other side of the room. I quickly joined her, rolling my eyes. 

"I'll go make the order," Christine offered and went to the counter. Lee joined her. 

Mike and Daniel came to sit with us in the booth. Daniel sat next to Zoey and Mike next to me. 

"So when we get back to the hotel," said Zoey, "won't we be bored to death?" 

"Depends," I said. "To be honest, I feel like I can't continue working on the song." 

"Well, we just have to," said Daniel. "Disappointing as it is that the others couldn't make it - for we know what reasons - we still have to do our best." 

"Let's just hope the doughnuts could be the inspiration Sam needs," said Mike as he smiled at me, mockingly. 

"I just can't stop looking at that couple over there. They are so adorable," said Zoey with her elbow on the table and her fist under her chin as she stared at the couple with a smile. 

I snapped my fingers in front of her. "If they see you, they will get scared and think you're a freak," I said. 

"Well, isn't she?" Mike asked. 

Zoey slowly turned her head towards Mike and she quickly went from all smiles to killer mode. 

"I should have your head on a pike," she said, through clenched teeth. 

Mike leaned back in his seat and folded his arms. "I would like to see you try. But you do know I would hunt you in your dreams, right?" 

Zoey scoffed as she dropped her arm onto the table. "It seems I will never ever get rid of you, huh?" 

Mike surprisingly gave her a bright smile, but we all knew it wasn't genuine. "I'm glad you know," he said. 

Lee and Christine came back to the booth. Christine joined Mike and me. 

"Where are the doughnuts?" I asked. 

"Well, I know how someone likes chocolate dip doughnuts," said Lee, "so we will have to wait a little longer to have our assorted set complete." 

Mike, Daniel and I turned to look at Zoey. She shrugged her shoulders as she knew that she was the one who liked chocolate dip the most. 

"I don't think it will take long," said Lee as she sat joining Zoey and Daniel. 

I had a clear view of the counter and I saw the same man we met last time in a white apron, packing the doughnuts in pink and blue paper boxes. There was movement in the kitchen behind the counter. Looks like we weren't going to wait long for those chocolate dip doughnuts after all. 

The man at the counter looked towards our booth and waved at me with a smile. I smiled and waved back. He still recognised me. 

"Hey, Lee," said Zoey, "don't you think that couple over there is just super adorable?" 

Lee turned to look at the booth on the other side. "I believe so," she replied as she turned back to face Zoey. "Why do you ask?" 

"Oh.., no reason," said Zoey. "I just think they are." 

"Zoey's lovesick," said Mike. 

"What the-can you just sssh!" Zoey said as she looked at Mike with a vengeance. 

"Ya, she must miss Mino so much," Christine said, joining in on the tease. 

"What are you talking about?!" 

"Oh, please, Zoey," said Daniel as he gave her a look. "We all know you and Mino kind of have a....," he lifted his index and middle fingers of both his hands and flexed them to show him making quotation marks. "...thing going on." 

"That's not true," she said as she looked out the window, obviously trying to hide her face. 

"Maybe that's why she's been admiring that couple over there," I said, joining in on the fun. "You must miss Mino that much, huh?" 

"Not you too, Sam," said Zoey as she looked at me and shook her head. 

I shrugged my shoulders as I smiled at her. Mike started it and it wouldn't hurt to a little. 

"Maybe we should give him a call," said Lee as she pulled out her phone. "See if he misses her too." 

"You can't be serious," said Zoey as she turned to look at Lee with her eyes bulging out of her sockets. 

"Do it," Mike insisted. 

"Yes, call him," Daniel joined. 

"Instead of calling, we should be checking on those doughnuts," said Zoey. 

Lee turned back to look at the counter. The owner of the store had probably gone to the kitchen. She turned back to look at Zoey with a mocking smile. 

"He isn't there," she said and she went back to tapping on her phone. "We better make that call before he comes back." 

"This is getting ridiculous," said Zoey. "I don't miss Mino. Why can't you just drop it?" 

"We know how close you two are," said Daniel. "And now that he didn't come today, you must have seen the both of you in that couple over there." 

"And here I thought you were more sensible than your brother," Zoey looked at Daniel with a dangerous glow in her eyes. I thought she would pounce on him like a wild cat. 

"I am. I'm just saying the truth." 

"Okay....," said Lee as her thumb made scrolling movements on her phone, muttering, "Mino, Mino, where is he? I've so many people here whose names start with M." 

"Lee, put that phone down, please," Zoey begged. This time she really meant it. 

"Ah! Here it is," Lee had so much glee in her eyes like some child who had just spotted candy under their pillow. 

"Lee, come on." Zoey looked like she was about to lose her mind. "Why are you guys bothering me about this? If there's anyone you should be bothering, it's Christine. She likes Jinwoo." 

"Wait, what?" Christine chuckled as she almost couldn't believe what Zoey was saying. "That's ridiculous." 

"Oh, don't deny it. I see the way you look at him when he isn't looking." 

"I wish I had popcorn. This just got interesting," said Daniel. 

"Tell me about it," said Mike. 

"Ah, his phone is ringing," said Lee with her phone to her ear. 

Zoey turned back to Lee. "What!" This time, her voice was loud. 

"Your order is ready," called the man at the counter. 

"Saved by the doughnuts," said Lee as she stood up and put her phone away in her white leather coat. She went to get the doughnuts and Christine followed to help her out. 

"This isn't over, you know?" Mike said as he smirked at Zoey. 

"Oh, shut up," she snapped at him. "You guys weren't even interested with what I had to say about Christine and Jinwoo." 

"That's because it's not true," said Christine as she stood near the table with two paperboxes in her hands. 

"Oh, really?" Mike asked as he gave Christine a funny smile. 

"Come on, Toxins," Lee announced as she was almost at the door. "Let's go before some of you end up making a scene." 

"She's talking about you," said Mike as he gave Zoey a smirk and stood up from his seat. 

"Why, I'm gonna-" Zoey stood up, ready to grab Mike, but Daniel stood too and held her shoulder to stop her. 

"Look over there, Zoey," I heard him whisper to her, gesturing with his head to the couple on the other side. "You don't want t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter