Chapter 4: From Times Square to Dance Square

A K-Pop Utopia (A Black Kitty Series, Book 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee's P.O.V

I was so tired as I sat on the chair which I had been sitting on for so long that my hurt so bad and all I wanted to do was stand. I was just piling up the last documents Collins and I had been passing through earlier on in the morning in a file and I had never felt so relieved that I was done. I leaned back further on my chair and blew out a sigh. A sigh of relief.

The past two days have been pretty packed and I've been up and down all the time without a chance to relax. The only time I ever did was when it was time for bed. But even then, I still had to wake up early and get to work. Well, being Collins' assistant is what I signed up for. So I had no reason to complain.

Why should I complain? So far, being an assistant manager isn't as bad as I thought it was when I signed up for the job two years ago. That was almost the same time The Toxins were discovered and signed their record deal.

I really love my job. It's pretty involving and requires me to be here and there all the time. When I not only got to work with Collins, but also with The Toxins, my job became a concrete part of my life that I never wanted to let go of.

Collins is strict and wants everything to go according to plan, but he isn't half as bad. I got to see that when he first discovered The Toxins and those five monkeys managed to break him down, bringing up a softer side of him only a few people ever get to see. I know as manager, you always have to set your limits and put up a straight face, but I can tell you, that Collins is one heck of a friendly person and we became very good friends over the years.

And another reason I love my job is because of The Toxins. Those five came like an unexpected wrapped up bundle of joy in my life. With them, there is never a dull moment and they always make my work easier. Well, let me rephrase that: most of the times harder. But that only makes everything about them so memorable. I remember the first few months after they signed their record deal and they were all put under pressure to do their best. That period was nerve wrecking for them and even for me. But the one thing I loved about them was that they never gave up on who they were and that's how they have managed to make it this far.

As I remained seated and thought of all those times with The Toxins, I finally realised how much I missed them. I haven't been around them a lot these past days and I really wanted to know what's up. I felt a little left out and I didn't like that at all.

Not that I'm acting like a mama bear or anything, I've always cared for The Toxins. We are all like one big family. And as a friend, they also tend to confide in me for anything. Mostly Sam because she's a leader and always has to look out for her team. Whenever she needs advice or help, I'm always there to help in any way I can.

I looked at the time on my wrist watch and I realised it was fifteen minutes past twelve. I was supposed to check up on The Toxins and I completely forgot.

I quickly grabbed my phone on the dining table in front of me and I quickly dialled Sam's number. I put my phone to my ear and waited for her to pick up the call.

"Hi, Lee," said Sam when she finally answered.

"Sam, hey," I said. I was so exhausted, I rubbed my forehead. "Are you done with practise? It's lunchtime."

"Ya, we're done with practise."

I waited for her to say something else and then realised a strange noise in the background.

"Sam, where are you?" I asked. "You seem to be in some noisy place. Are you in the dance studio?"

"No, we aren't in the dance studio."

"Then where are you? In the live room recording something or what?"

"Truth be told, we aren't at YG."

Whatever ounce of exhaustion I had in my body disappeared as I sat upright. These guys weren't at YG so they were probably hanging out somewhere. And obviously without Collins' permission. Oh, boy.

"Where are you? You know perfectly well that you can't leave without either Collins' or my permission," I said.

"I know and we are so sorry," said Sam. "But we met TOP at YG and decided that we should just hang out."

I sighed as I leaned back on my chair again. "I guess if you're with TOP it's fine. But you should've informed me first."

"Is Collins with you?"

"No, he left an hour ago to attend to something. Don't know what it was really. He'll tell me about it later."

"Good. I've something else to tell you."

I sat upright on my chair in panic mode again. "What is it?"

"Well, I don't know how I should tell you, so don't get mad."

"Sam, tell me. You know I don't tell Collins if it's something serious."

"Ya, well, this is pretty serious."

"Tell me then," I insisted.

"Awwh, Lee, I don't know how to tell you! It's so complicated."

"Did you and TOP kiss?"

"What! No! No way!"

"Okay, eish." I almost pulled my phone away from my ear from her outburst. "I was just assuming that it happened."

"What makes you think that?"

"Well, it's obvious he flirts with you all the time and maybe he had the chance to finally kiss you."

"I'm not ready for that kind of drama like I had last time, Lee."

"Then if that didn't happen, what's going on?"

Sam took a deep breath over the phone and hesitated for a few seconds.

"Lee, a lot has happened that you don't know about and you're going to freak if I tell you."

"Try me, Sam. I've been around you guys like forever. There is always something funny that goes on that I won't be surprised this time around."

"No, Lee, this time it's different."

"What are you waiting for then? Spill the beans already! Now you're making me nervous."

"Okay, okay. Yesterday something happened. Ummm, where can I even start? Okay, so, there was someone in the......."

Before Sam could say anything more, she was interrupted by someone in the background. For a moment, I thought it could be TOP or any of her two brothers, but I quickly realised that it wasn't.

"Sam, are you going to talk on the phone all day? We're waiting for you," came a man's voice in the background.

"Just hold on for a moment, Seunghoon. I'll be right there," said Sam.

"What the what! Sam! Whose that!" I asked. I had no idea how I had quickly stood up from my seat that even the chair behind me fell to the floor.

"Wait, hold on, give me a few seconds," I heard Sam talk to whoever it was beside her. "Lee? I know you're freaking out, but that's kind of the long story I wanted to tell you."

"Wait? Which Seunghoon were you talking to?"

"Seunghoon from WINNER."

I thought the world below my feet will open and swallow me whole any moment now. I also felt a wave of dizziness as I held my head and tried to stand steady.

"Sam, I'm going to faint right now and I'm alone in this hotel," I said. I took a deep breath. "Are you for real? Seunghoon from WINNER, like YG's own WINNER?"

"Yes! And there's a lot more that's happened, it might be worse."

"Oh no, Sam. Like what? Collins is going to freak."

"I know, but I've a plan."

"Don't you always? How bad is the situation?"

"Very bad to the point where your mind could easily be blown away. And probably not in a good way."

"Wait, Seunghoon isn't the only person with you, is he?"

"Yes, and it's much worse than that. If you want to know more, go online and see what's trending on Twitter."

"Okay, but can't I just come to where you guys are now and pick you up? Before things get any worse, I mean."

"Or you can just join in the fun. Things are already worse as it is and we're all just going with the flow. If I were you, I would be here at Times Square with us."

"Okay, I'll be there. But before then I'll have to see what kind of show you guys have put up on social media so that I know what's going on. Why of all places did you choose Times Square to hang out anyway?"

"That's another long story. You see, we were on a bus..."

"You guys went on a bus?" I couldn't believe what I was hearing. "I am really missing out on this."

"And there is more. So you better come here quick if you want me to tell you the whole story."

"Alright, I'm on my way."

I quickly cut the call and before I could arrange for the chauffeur to come pick me up, I went on Twitter just as Sam had suggested I should. When I saw what was on the trending list, I was a little confused.

But once I realised what was trending on number three, almost made me faint for real.

***

Sam's P.O.V

I quickly put my phone in my pocket and when I turned around, I found everyone the same way I left them, taking pictures, mostly selfies with the fans.

Since we came to Times Square, all we did was take pictures. The picture frenzy all begun when we were spotted by fans as we walked in the massive Times Square complex.

So far so good, my plan seem to be going smoothly. I got the reaction I needed from the fans and already, we were trending all over Twitter. A good thing on my part, but obviously a bad one when our managers find out. Hopefully they wouldn't get mad to the point where it might be serious.

"It's about time you were done with that call," said Seunghoon as he came flying, landed by my side with his phone held up and his arm around my shoulder to take a selfie. "Smile."

I smiled at the camera, even when I didn't want to. Seunghoon has been acting too clingy. And as much as that wasn't a bad thing, it was somewhat worrying.

"So cute," he said as he looked at the photo. "You and I make a very cute couple."

"No, we don't," I answered when I looked at the photo with my eyebrows raised.

"I agree with Sam," said TOP, who came to stand beside me to look at the photo. "You don't."

"You're just saying that because you like her," said Seunghoon.

"You're right. I do."

"Can you two fight later when I'm not here?" I asked as I waved my hand in the air.

"Don't worry Seunghoon," said Zoey as she approached us. "You two look cute together, honestly."

"Thank you," said Seunghoon as he beamed at Zoey.

TOP and I just murmured. I ended up rolling my eyes and frowning.

"Now that we have made a statement to the whole world that we've already met, what next?" Zoey asked.

"You're in Times Square," said Lisa as she came to stand beside Zoey. "One of the biggest shopping complexes in Korea. There are a ton of stuff to do around here."

"Shopping would have been nice but we didn't carry our credit cards," said Christine as she came to join us.

"Who said we need to shop to have fun?" Mino asked as he followed Christine behind her. "Times Square is an awesome place and you can do so many things."

"Fine, then what do you suggest we do?" I asked. "You guys know the place. So, I suggest you be our tour guides."

"It will be our honour," said Rosé as she came and gave a playful little bow.

"I think I know where to start," said Jinwoo.

"Where?" Zoey asked.

"Has any of you seen the largest screen in the world?"

My mind started to tingle in a funny way and I felt my face lit up when Jinwoo said that.

"Wait, a minute!" I said. "This is the place which holds the largest screen in the world, right? CGV Starium, the world's largest permanent 35 mm cinema screen."

"That's correct," said Jinwoo.

"Oh, no," said Zoey as she covered her ears. "Nerd alert!"

"Did someone just say 'Nerd alert?'" Mike asked as he came to join us after taking pictures with some of the fans with Seungyoon. "What did Sam do now?"

"Huh?" I looked confused as I shrugged my shoulders and looked at everyone else staring at me.

"You're doing that thing again where you start talking about all the knowledgeable facts you know in this world," said Zoey. "Like about the largest screen."

"Try to be more clear, Zoey. Because I still don't get it."

"Well, there's a whole lot more where that came from. Remember in high school you were always up top with general knowledge."

"Ya, true," said Mike.

"What's wrong with that?" Rosé asked. "Isn't that just how Sam is?"

"I'm not going to tolerate you guys bullying Sam," said Seunghoon as he came behind me and held my shoulders. "She's smart, so deal with it."

"No, I'm scared that Jinwoo might be joining her in the nerd train. Chooo-chooo!" said Zoey with a smirk as she imitated the sound of a train.

I looked at Zoey, then at Jinwoo who was staring back at me. He also looked as confused as I was. And right now, I was so not liking this. Not when I knew that Christine liked Jinwoo. She might get the wrong idea and I was not ready for that bumpy ride again.

"So, are we going to watch a movie then so that we can go see the big screen?" TOP asked, changing the topic immediately.

"Did someone say movie?" Daniel asked as he, Jisoo and Jennie finally joined us.

"That's if you want to see the largest screen in the world," said Seungyoon with a smile.

Daniel's mouth gaped open, his eyes full of bewilderment as he looked at Seungyoon. "You're serious, right? The largest screen in the world? That's so cool!"

"Oh, ya," said Jennie. "That sounds like a great idea."

"Well, I think we can plan on watching a movie later," said Zoey. "I just realised that I'm so hungry and I don't think popcorn will do me any good."

"Same here," said Mino.

Zoey giggled. "At least I'm not the only one. Who's up for lunch?"

Everyone including me raised their hands. I hadn't noticed that we all haven't eaten yet. And for some of us who just had dance practise and never ate any breakfast needed all the energy we could get if we wanted to last the whole day in Times Square.

"There's an open food court down this way," said Seungyoon as he jerked his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter