Chapter 29: Distractions

A K-Pop Utopia (A Black Kitty Series, Book 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

So, as it turns out, the rest of the BTW members did want to meet up and talk about the album. It was obvious. They were upset and wanted answers. Sadly, I couldn't really give them what they were looking for.

While I waited for the other members to arrive, Daniel, Christine and I were seated on the floor while Zoey was pacing up and down with Mike seated on the couch. We were working on the song. So far, we had an idea of what the song would be about. We started working on the chorus first.

"Okay, so the first part of the chorus," I said as I looked at my notebook, "'I want to sing a sad song tonight, but there's nothing in my head.' What do you think?"

"Why would a sad song be in your head?" Zoey asked as she continued to pace up and down.

"Don't you always think about what you want to sing?" Mike asked. "And when you're heartbroken, you definitely want to sing a sad song. Although, we do things without thinking sometimes."

"Oh, okay."

"I think it's good, so far," said Daniel who sat next to me. "What will come next?"

I scribbled something down. It didn't seem right so I cancelled it out with my pen. "Nah, that didn't seem right," I said.

"Come on, Sam, you have to think," said Zoey as she looked at me.

"What if you mention about being heartbroken in the next line?" Mike asked.

I thought of what Mike said and I started to write while I sang the lyrics, "'I've been heartbroken many times and these are one of those days.' How does that sound?"

Christine blew a kiss in the air, "love it. Let's continue."

Some lyrics sprang in my mind and I quickly wrote them down while singing, keeping the tune I had in my head. "'I try to find a song to ease the pain, I try to find a song that suits my mood.'"

"Alright, we will inform you if there will be any changes," said Lee as she was on the landline. "Thank you, have a good day."

After the call, Lee came over to us with her hands on her waist.

"It's nice to see all of you like this when you've a song to write," said Lee with a smile on her face.

"If it wasn't for us making an album, I wouldn't be here," said Zoey as she continued to pace up and down.

"We all know that. But you don't have much time and it's good Sam is pushing you all."

"Ya, but it's going to be tough," I said as I looked up at Lee.

"It's nothing we can't handle," said Christine. "When the others are here, I bet we will work much faster."

"Trust me, the first thirty minutes they get here, they will be complaining like crazy," said Lee.

"Well, at least I got to complain earlier," said Zoey.

"You're still upset and you know you can't complain any more since Sam told you to keep quiet while we all think," said Mike.

Zoey threw him a look. "Just mind your own business," she said. "We have a song to work on."

Mike just shrugged his shoulders while Daniel and I just shook our heads at her and went back to looking at my notebook. Soon, the landline started to ring and Lee groaned in frustration.

"Looks like you also have too much on your plate, Lee," said Christine.

"You've no idea," said Lee as she went over to the landline and picked up the call.

I sang out what we had written so far as the chorus and when I asked the others how it was, Lee came over to interrupt us after that call on the phone.

"The others are here," she announced. "You all better brace yourselves."

"I've to be the one to do so," I said. "I'm the leader after all." I went on to address the others. "So what do you think? I feel we haven't really completed the chorus."

"I agree," said Daniel.

The others agreed too and while we continued to brainstorm for more creative lyrics, we heard the elevator down the hall open. BlackPink and WINNER were here.

I could hear them talking in the hall and I could tell they weren't happy. They soon came into the lounge and the five of us, Toxins and Lee, gave them nervous smiles.

"Hey, people," I said as I stood up from the floor. "How are you all doing?"

The two groups all answered at the same time in their own words that it became too much for my ears.

"Okay, chill out, everyone," I said as I raised my hand, signaling them to stop talking. Surprisingly, they did. "Why can't you all just sit down and relax for a bit? Talking like this won't help."

The two groups soon made themselves comfortable around the lounge. Some were seated on the floor with Daniel and Christine, while others were on the couch. Zoey soon joined the others on the floor while I remained standing in front of everyone, my back facing the flat screen TV on the wall. Lee also stood, but near the landline so as to pick it up when anyone called.

"Okay, I know everyone here is upset," I said. "So, for your wellbeing, a few of you can say a few words to vent out your anger."

There was an awkward silence as those seated in the lounge looked at one another. They were probably wondering why I said that. Some went on to look at me with confused looks on their faces.

"Wait, Sam," said Seunghoon. He was seated on the couch alongside Mike and Jinwoo. "You want us to say how we are feeling right now? Like how angry we are about the album?"

"Yes," I said. "We're going to treat this time like a therapy session."

"Okay," said Jennie who sat on the floor. She raised her hand and I allowed her to speak. "I want to say something." She stood up from the floor. "I am not happy about us making an album. I thought this weekend was meant for us to rest and worry about making a new song later. I wake up this morning, hoping it will be a good one, but no. I wake up to a message saying that we are making an album. This is so uncool!"

"Thank you, Jennie," I said. She sat back down. "Trust me, I was surprised when Collins told me the news himself. We were supposed to receive the news on Monday, but I guess it was a good thing he told me earlier. Or else, we would really have panicked."

Mino raised his hand, I made him go ahead and speak. "So, you're telling me that they didn't even reconsider us making it? Two singles wouldn't have been a problem and now we have to make an album? How many songs are going to be in this album?"

I rubbed my hands together. "Not more than five songs," I answered.

"Five songs!" came the chorus response from the others, except the Toxins. They started complaining again all at once.

"Guys, calm down!" I shouted, making sure my voice was much louder than theirs. Surprisingly, again, the noise slowly died down.

"I know," I continued, "that five songs is too much with the time that we have. But we wanted BTW to become an official group that we really didn't think about what might happen in the future."

My last statement got everyone there that they had sad, guilty faces. It was harsh, but that was the reality.

"Look, as little time as we have right now, we should all just try to relax. The other Toxins and I started working on a song. If you don't want to participate, it's fine, given the anger we all have and we can work on something on Monday. If others want to join us, they can stay."

"Our work just got harder, didn't it?" Jisoo asked.

"Ya, it did. So, who are going to stay?"

A moment passed and no one raised their hand. It felt a little disappointing but I had to be expectant of everything including this. I wouldn't blame them. We were all upset and tired. We just had a rough week and we were now getting into a more challenging one.

I was just about to say something to conclude the meeting when Jinwoo spoke first.

"I'll stay," he said.

"Really?" I asked as a smile appeared on my face.

"Sure, why not?" He smiled back at me.

"If Jinwoo is staying, then so will I," said Lisa who sat on the floor next to Zoey.

"Oh, yes!" Zoey exclaimed as she hugged Lisa seated next to her. "Someone to vent out my anger with."

"I'll stay too," said Mino.

"For my little kitten, I will stay," said Seunghoon.

"What the heck.., I'm in," said Seungyoon.

The other three BlackPink members agreed in unison that they would also stay. This was great. We were already working as a team and I couldn't have asked for anything better.

"This is great," I said. "I'm going to give us all some time to relax and work on the song later."

"You're right," said Seunghoon. "Working on this requires that we have a peaceful mind."

"Hey, are we all forgetting something?" Lisa asked.

"What is it?" Daniel asked.

"Just like every group, there's always supposed to be a leader. And as far as I know, BTW doesn't have one."

"That's true," said Jisoo.

"You said every group has a leader when that isn't always the case," said Christine.

"Oh, really?" Mike asked.

"Yep," Christine said with a smile. "So far, BlackPink is one of the K-Pop groups that have no leader."

"Oh, ya," said Mino. "That's true."

"I always thought Jennie or Lisa was the leader," said Daniel as he scratched his head. "I should have asked the first time we met."

"We believe all four of us are leaders," said Rosé. "So, there was no point in picking one amongst ourselves."

"For you to be so well coordinated as a group, you don't really need one," I said.

"I like the way you put it, Sam," said Jennie.

"Okay, back to the main issue at hand," said Seunghoon. "Who will be our leader?"

"We don't have to choose amongst ourselves because our managers already did it for us," said Zoey.

"Huh? Wait a minute," said Mino as he looked at Zoey. "How do you guys get all this first hand information before anyone else?"

"As much as there is a strict relationship between The Toxins and Collins, he gets to tell them what they need to know when it's necessary," said Lee.

"I wouldn't have put it in a much better sentence," said Mike as he looked at Lee.

"You guys seem to have fun with Collins," said Jinwoo.

"Fun with Collins?" Christine asked as she chuckled. "That's an understatement."

"You should hear what he calls us sometimes," said Zoey. "But we can't deny that we have our good moments with him."

"So, who's our leader?" Seungyoon asked.

"I am," I answered.

"Wow, really?"

I shrugged my shoulders. "We didn't get to pick earlier so our managers decided to give me the responsibility."

"Cool," said Jisoo. "If we had a chance to vote and you were one of the candidates, I would definitely vote for you."

"Fine with me," said Seunghoon. "As long as there's someone who is going to push us to do our best, I wouldn't have thought of anyone better."

"Ya, that's my best friend right there," said Zoey, showing her love and support.

"Thanks guys," I said. "Okay, we will get to work real soon. We just have to sort ourselves out with food and snacks first."

"I can do that," said Lee as she headed for the landline.

"Thanks, Lee. I better go get my guitar. The music isn't going to play itself."

As I made my way out of the lounge and Lee was on the landline, I noticed the others talk amongst themselves. They sounded more calm and happy. That was a good sign.

I went to my room to get the guitar I was given by Yang Hyun-suk when we went to film our music video at the water park. I had packed it in the closet. It was in a black guitar case with the initials "B.K" written in white. I removed the case and placed it on my bed. I opened the case and removed the guitar. I hadn't played the instrument for a while and I realised how much I had missed it.

I went back to the lounge with the guitar in hand. I passed Lee who was still talking on the landline.

"Wait, is that the guitar Yang Hyun-suk gave you when you went to shoot your music video?" Jinwoo asked.

"Yes, it is," I replied as I settled the guitar next to the side arm of one of the empty couches.

"Cool. So, when can we start on the song? I'm just dying to hear it."

"You guys will have to wait a little longer if you don't want to be disturbed by what's coming," said Lee after she put the receiver down.

"What's going on, Lee?" I asked.

"You're not going to like this. G-Dragon is here."

"What!" Zoey exclaimed as she stood up from the floor. "Why is he here?"

"This is bad. Real bad," said Daniel as he shook his head and had a disappointed look on his face.

"We should have thought of sealing this place up if we knew he was coming," said Christine.

"Are we missing something here?" Rosé asked. "This is G-Dragon we are talking about. Why do you worry if he comes here?"

"Goodness," said Daniel as he looked at Rosé. "Don't you guys remember?"

"Remember what?" Mino asked.

"That there was one person who didn't like the idea of BTW becoming official?" I asked. "Now he is here and he isn't going to stop taunting us."

"Aigoo," said Jennie as she hit her forehead. "How can I forget?"

"Now that we are all here, he's definitely going to taunt us for sure," said Seungyoon.

"He wouldn't be here if he didn't know about the album and all of BTW meeting at this point in time. So, how did he know?" I asked as I turned to look at Zoey.

"Don't look at me," she said as she raised her hands. "I didn't tell him anything, I swear."

"I didn't say anything to him either," said Mike.

"Me neither," said Daniel.

"Ummm," said Lisa. Everyone's eyes flew to her. "I might have told him on our way here."

Everyone muttered out loud, including myself, in disapproval. This wasn't good.

"I'm sorry, guys," said Lisa with a guilty look on her face. "I didn't know it would be such a big deal if he knew."

"He was going to know anyway," I said. "We just didn't want him to know today when we want to start working on a song."

"I bet he is one floor away from us right now," said Seunghoon.

"What are we going to do?" Zoey asked.

"We can't do anything," I said. "If he's going to taunt us, then so be it."

"Really? I'm going to jump on him like a bobcat and seal his mouth shut if we don't come up with a plan."

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "sorry, Zoey. If we knew like thirty minutes ago that he was coming, we would have thought of something. It's too late now."

The lounge became quiet when we heard the sound of the elevator. Great, he was here. Everyone else in the lounge didn't say a word as we heard footsteps in the hall.

I could feel Zoey beside me grow tense. Everybody was. It felt like we were in a horror movie and were waiting for the worst case scenario when the bogeyman shows up. In this case, our bogeyman was G-Dragon.

He soon appeared in the lounge and just like most of us, he wore simple casual clothes. He stopped when he noticed all of us looking at him.

"Morning, everyone," he said as he took his black shades off of his eyes. He even had a smug smile on his face. "It's fancy meeting you all this lovely morning."

This time, it didn't feel like a horror movie. It was something else entirely. With that smile on G-Dragon's face, we all became irritated. I felt like going with Zoey's plan, attack him and seal his mouth shut.

"What's wrong with everyone?" he asked when no one responded to his greeting. "Aren't you going to greet me? Remember that that isn't respectful."

"Sam, please talk to him before I put my hands on his neck," said Zoey, through her clenched teeth.

I rolled my eyes and I walked over to him. We were looking straight at each other.

"May I ask what you're doing here?" I asked.

"I just came by to say hi to you all," he replied with a smile on his face.

"Really? Aren't you surprised that BlackPink and WINNER are here?" I asked as I folded my arms.

G-Dragon looked at everyone in the room. Everyone else looked like they were about to tear him apart like hungry wolves. His eyes flew back to me.

"Why should I? After all, you guys are doing something for you to meet, right?" he chuckled.

"I know Lisa informed you, so don't you act smart, GD."

"I'm not. I just wanted to see what you all are up to. By the looks on everyone's faces, you're all very upset. What's up?"

"We had a rough morning, as you can see. And you being here is just making things worse."

"Really? I wasn't the one who wanted BTW to be a thing, did I?"

"Okay, you're not helping," I said as I quickly approached him and I did what I should have done before he even opened his mouth.

Kick him out.

I took hold of his shoulders and I quickly turned him around. He was surprised by my strength as I started to push him out o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter