Chapter 15: The Hero Challenge

A K-Pop Utopia (A Black Kitty Series, Book 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Are you kidding me?" I asked as I looked around.

Shownu pulled me by the hand and I got onto the platform. The sun had now set and I was looking up at the dark night sky.

"Is there a problem?" Shownu asked as he looked at me.

I folded my arms. "You know, I knew you were likely to bring us here."

Shownu raised the corner of his mouth into a smile. "Then why didn't you say anything?"

"Because, the others were so excited that I didn't want to say no. Besides, this isn't so bad. I just wonder what the others would think when they come up here."

As soon as I had said those words, the door behind us flew open. Zoey and Jooheon came up to us.

"May I ask what we are doing here?" Zoey asked as she looked at Shownu.

"Does this remind of you anything, Zoey?" I asked.

Zoey looked around the rooftop and then on the round helipad platform Shownu and I were on. She scratched her head as she went back to looking around again.

"I have no clue," she said as she scratched her head. "Are we waiting for some helicopter to get us up here or something?"

Shownu laughed, so did Jooheon. I sighed instead.

"What?" Zoey shrugged her shoulders.

"Tell me, has Sam figured it out?" Jooheon asked Shownu.

"She's smart like everyone says she is, she knew about it way before we came here," Shownu answered as he looked at me.

"Nice." Jooheon quickly stepped up onto the platform. He jumped up right in front of me that I had to take a step back. "I like smart girls," he said as he looked at me with a corky smile.

"And I thought I was your bias," Zoey complained as she also got onto the platform.

"You always will," said Jooheon.

"Can someone please tell me what I'm missing here? It already seems I guessed the wrong answer."

The door leading to the rooftop soon opened again and the rest of Monsta X, The Toxins and Lee appeared.

"I just love the cool breeze," said Christine with her arms outstretched when a slight night breeze passed by. Her black curly hair flew in the wind.

"Can you tell me why we are here?" Wonho asked. "You know I don't like such places."

"Oh, you're scared of heights, aren't you?" I asked as I looked at Wonho as he approached with the others.

"Pretty much, yes," he answered as he gave me a nervous smile.

"I can't help but feel that this place reminds me of something," said Mike as he joined us on the platform.

"Ya, me too," said Daniel. "I wonder what it is."

"That's what I've been trying to figure out," said Zoey. "And sadly, these guys aren't saying anything."

"If you're a real Mon Bebe you will know why we are up here," I said as I folded my arms.

Christine snapped her fingers. "Hero, the song! They did their music video from a rooftop of a building."

Zoey slapped her forehead. "Why didn't I think of that?"

"I actually had that figured out," said Lee as she looked around the rooftop. "Don't you think it's dangerous being up here?"

"For me, yes," said Wonho.

"Stop being such a baby," said IM. "If we can manage to shoot the video from the rooftop last time, we can do so again."

"Okay, now that we know what being here reminds us of, what are we actually doing here, really?" Christine asked.

I turned to look at Shownu and everyone else did the same.

"What are you all looking at me for?" Shownu asked as he shrugged.

"You're the one who brought us here," I said. "So you're the right person to answer the question."

"Okay. I brought us up here not just to remind us about the Hero music video," Shownu started. "But also to have a dance battle."

"A dance battle?" the rest of us said at the same time, not believing a word he said.

"Ya, a dance battle. Monsta X vs The Toxins," Shownu had a bright smile on his face.

I didn't seem surprised by all this but a dance battle was the last thing on my mind right now.

"But are we all up for it, is the main question at hand," said Hyungwon. "I know I'm up for it."

"Me too," said Mike as he rubbed his hands with delight. "This is going to be so much fun."

Zoey, Christine and Daniel happily agreed. Kihyun and Minhyuk were all geared up and excited. Jooheon who stood right beside me was all chilled with a cool smile on his face and nodding his head in agreement. As much as Wonho was scared of heights, he also agreed. Hopefully no one was going to put him at the edge of the rooftop tonight just to bully him a little.

"Hey," said IM as he got onto the helipad platform and stood in front of me. "You don't seem up for the challenge."

"Oh, she is," said Zoey as she held my shoulders from behind. "She's just trying to analyse the situation like she usually does."

"Well, I for one am not up for this dance battle," said Lee.

The happy chattering around us died down after Lee's statement. What a way to ruin the mood.

"But why? Is there something wrong?" Minhyuk asked.

"I know you're trying to relive the 'Hero' experience, but why have a dance battle when there is no audience to make the final judgement?"

Lee was right somehow. In every dance battle there had to be an audience. But nowadays, people would watch dance battles online and vote. Just like the way Zoey and I had done when we had our own dance battle. Which by the way, we hadn't even known who had won since Mike never closed the voting poll.

"But we can always shoot a video and post it online and see what people think," said Zoey, bringing out the thought I had in my head.

"I don't prefer online voting, you know," said Lee. "It's way better when there's a crowd. And it's simply more fun too."

"She's right," said Shownu as he dropped from the helipad platform. "With a crowd, it makes so much sense."

"But where are we going to gather a crowd of random people who would like to watch a dance battle at this time?" Kihyun asked.

"It's already been taken care of," said Shownu as he pulled out his phone. "They will be here any moment now."

"You had everything planned out, didn't you?" I asked with an eyebrow raised. "From the time we met at the café this morning."

Shownu looked at me and smiled. "Glad you figured that out."

"Wait, so, who are coming?" Minhyuk asked.

"A few fans," Shownu answered. "Don't worry, it won't be that much of a crowd."

"Alright," said Jooheon. "I simply can't wait to get this started."

"How exciting," said Zoey as she held Jooheon's shoulder. "I simply can't wait to kick your ."

"Ha. And you think that you're a better dancer than I am?"

"Of course, I am." Zoey battered her eyelashes and flipped her hair to the side. "No question about it."

"You're really driving me to the point where I can start this dance battle right now."

"Just you and me?"

"Ya. You and me."

"Wait, hold on now," said IM as he came to stand in between the two. "You can have your own dance battle later."

"You guys really are something," said Lee as she rolled her eyes.

I jumped off the platform and joined Lee, not worried that Zoey and Jooheon were likely to go at each other with IM around.

"You don't seem up for this," I said.

"I was at first," said Lee. "But you're all here just for fun, so I wouldn't blame you."

"Do you think we can win?" Mike asked as he came over to join us.

"What? You're now scared of the famous Monsta X?" Lee asked teasingly with a smirk on her face.

Mike furrowed his eyebrows. "No, I'm not."

"If you aren't, you wouldn't be asking me that question."

"But Mike has every right to ask," I said as I rubbed my neck. "To be honest, I've been thinking about it too."

Lee laughed. "Guys, it's not a competition where you would win a grand prize. You're here just for fun, remember?"

"I forget that sometimes," said Mike.

"Whatever the case, they are good and so are we," I said. "Whatever happens, will happen."

"I am right with you."

Then all of the sudden, the door behind us flew open. The first person who walked in was a bodyguard all dressed in black. Behind him came a group of people. The fans Shownu was talking about. More came through the door and they were all chatting amongst themselves with excitement. When those who came in first saw us, they stopped on their tracks and their mouths dropped open.

"Meet our audience," said Shownu as he came to stand beside me.

There weren't more than thirty to thirty five people. Wasn't much of a crowd, but it wasn't bad either.

A few girls upon seeing us screamed. As much as they wanted to run over to us, they behaved themselves because of the bodyguards and just waved at us. I waved back and so did the others. They even took out their phones and started taking pictures.

"I'll just go over there and explain to them what's going on," said Shownu.

"Ya, you do that, I'll get my team ready," I said.

Shownu walked over to the small crowd that came to watch the dance battle. I went over to Christine and Daniel who were talking with Wonho, Kihyun and Minhyuk and told them to meet with Lee and Mike on the other side. I went over to the platform where Zoey and Jooheon were still debating over who was a better dancer. IM was still with them and this time, Hyungwon was there too.

"Zoey, come here," I said. "We have to get ready."

"Okay, I'll be right there," said Zoey. "I still have to talk some sense into Jooheon."

"It's not going to work until we dance and show him who's better. So, come on, let's go. We need to get ready."

"Fine," said Zoey. She gave Jooheo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter