Chapter 5: BTW (BlackPink, The Toxins and WINNER)

A K-Pop Utopia (A Black Kitty Series, Book 2)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hanging out at Times Square was super duper fun yesterday. The positive reactions we got from the fans sent us trending all over Twitter within hours and soon, everyone got to know that BTW meant BlackPink, The Toxins and WINNER.

But that didn't matter. The three groups together with Lee and TOP had a ton of fun stuff to do at Times Square soon after we had lunch. We first went to watch a movie on the largest screen in the world, which was amazing. Then we went and had fun at the "I Like Dalgi Children's Theme Park", meant for little kids. But hey, who says grown ups can't have a little fun too? Don't worry, we weren't actually playing on the swings or anything. We actually played around with the adorable kids.

There were plenty of open outdoor spaces like the ecology park, a fountain and a rooftop garden that we visited. We even took group pictures and selfies with the beautiful nature around us. And we managed to get pictures with a few fans too.

The time we were done having fun at Times Square was in the evening and it was completely unbelievable when we stepped out into the parking lot and found three black SUV cars, for each of the three groups waiting to pick us up. What made the scene even more dramatic yet terrifying, was that our two managers were there, waiting for us. They had received the message through social media alright and they didn't look too happy that we had all met and decided to hang out. It was surprising to them that we had all met "by coincidence." The rest of us never said a word about how everything came to be. Especially with WINNER visiting The Toxins the previous day, of course.

As much as the managers kept their cool and didn't say a word afterwards meant they weren't really mad at all and we managed to drive away from Times Square without any complaints. I knew my plan would work but I also knew we were in for a serious talk from our two managers after they take this all in.

Right now, this very morning, I was bending over, tying my shoelaces and wondering what they could possibly want to talk to the three groups about as we meet with them. Collins told us a few minutes ago during breakfast that he and Yang Hyun-suk want the three groups to go to YG and talk. I hope it isn't that serious because yesterday, they didn't seem so mad at all. But why was I so worried? I couldn't figure out what was bothering me and I just couldn't take it.

I stood up straight after tying my shoelaces and I noticed Zoey approach me as she came out of the bathroom.

"Do you think they are mad?" Zoey asked as she stood a few feet away from me.

"You're worried, aren't you?" I asked.

"Aren't you?" Zoey folded her arms.

I sighed. If Zoey could be as worried as I was, the rest of The Toxins were too.

"I am," I said. "It's pretty troublesome that they would want us all to meet at YG."

"I thought you said your plan would work."

"In some way, it did, because they would have been so furious at us, but they weren't."

"Do you think they would want to talk about this BTW thing?"

I felt like slapping my forehead because I realised I was such a complete idiot. Of course. BTW. Now that Zoey mentioned it, it all made sense. The managers would probably want to talk about BTW because as far as the three groups meeting "by coincidence" was concerned, they had completely brushed it off.

"Ya, you're right," I said. "They obviously want to talk about that."

"Do you think they would want to make it a real thing?" Zoey was getting anxious.

"I would hold that thought for a while if I were you and see what the managers have to say."

Zoey raised an eyebrow at me. "You're worried that they wouldn't agree, aren't you?"

I shrugged. She read my mind really well. "I can't lie. I thought about it yesterday and now that you bought up the BTW thing, I realise it's what's been bothering me the whole time."

I sat down on my bed as my mind kept spinning around the issue. I shouldn't have told Zoey how I felt about all this but I had to let it out somehow.

"You know, you should have given us a heads up about it, Sam," said Zoey as she also sat on her bed facing me.

"Gosh, you really should have seen the looks on all of your faces when we were having fun yesterday. I just couldn't burst your bubble and tell you whats likely to happen to BTW. We all weren't going to enjoy ourselves when it really mattered so I kept quiet. I for one even forgot about it too."

"Ya, you're right not to have brought it up or I would've killed you."

"Like you almost did to Mike?" I smirked.

"Mike is annoying sometimes," said Zoey as she expressed her irritation with her hands as though they were bear claws. "You could scratch his eyes out."

"You've been planning to do that ever since we became best friends and he knew the essence of being annoying around you."

"You're right. I should burn him instead."

I laughed. "The drama between you two never gets old."

"And what about the drama between you and Seunghoon?" Zoey's eyebrows were raised and she had a crooked smile on her face.

"Don't even go there," I warned as I pointed a finger at her.

"Sorry, but just so you know, all the guys on social media were kind of jealous when he posted that pic of you and him together."

"Pff! That's not true." I rolled my eyes.

"Well, you can ask Seungri and TOP who made a comment on Instagram last night."

I blushed and at the same time felt so confused. Zoey had a silly smile on her face and I couldn't tell whether she did that to intimidate me or there was some other hidden agenda.

"You weren't on Instagram last night, were you?" she asked this time with a surprised look on her face.

"I was," I said as I stared at the ceiling to avoid her eyes."But only for a little while."

"Or you weren't really there at all. If you did, you wouldn't have that look on your face."

I sighed in surrender. "Fine. You caught me. I logged out of Instagram because I wanted to. Besides, I knew all the notifications I was bound to receive were going to be endless, so I did what I had to do."

Zoey shook her head. "You really surprise me how much you aren't really a fan of social media when most of our peers are."

"You know me already, Zoey. I like social media when it's necessary."

"And hate it when you hit the headlines. Ya, I know you very well."

"Okay, enough. What happened on Instagram last night?"

Zoey had an excited look on her face that for a moment, I was surprised that she was ever even worried about us meeting with the managers at YG. Something hot was cooking about Seunghoon and I being called a couple. And it could clearly show all over her face.

"There was a debate last night whether you made a compatible girlfriend for Seungyoon," said Zoey as she excitedly bit her lip.

I shook my head. "And?"

Zoey folded her arms, still smiling. "Some people thought you and Seunghoon made a lovely couple, but others, mostly guys, didn't."

"Hold that thought. This wouldn't have come up unless someone said something about the two of us after Seunghoon posted that picture."

"Don't look at me." Zoey looked the other way. "I didn't say anything."

I snapped my fingers. "Seunghoon."

"Bingo!" Zoey clapped her hands.

"Gosh, what's wrong with him?" I rubbed my forehead feeling like I might just develop a headache.

"He's a fan. Is that so wrong?"

"Well, he hid in our closet."

"That was just the closet. Even I would do that for my bias."

"Wow!" I leaned back in surprise. "Did you just say bias?"

"Ya, why?"

"Looks like we just developed the k-pop culture where we refer to our favourite celebrity, whom we consider perfect as our bias."

Zoey thought for a moment over what I said as she looked at the floor and then back at me. "Mmmm, I guess you're right."

"But anyway, Seunghoon hiding in my closet wasn't the only thing that he has done."

"What do you mean? You got to meet Seunghoon for the first time when he jumped out of our closet. What else could he possibly have done before that?"

"We had a few encounters before though I never knew it was him."

Zoey's eyes bulged out in surprise. "He was stalking you?"

"Not really. But I can say he was. Just a little. If he was a full time stalker, he would've been doing so everyday."

"When did that happen and when were you ever going to tell me?"

"I wanted to but I kept it to myself. And when other issues started to arise, especially with Jehan, I even forgot that I even had a stalker."

"Jehan. Don't remind me," said Zoey as she rolled her eyes.

"Ya, I shouldn't. But now you know. And for the record, don't tell anybody."

"My lips on this one are sealed. I won't tell anyone, not even G-Dragon."

I looked at Zoey with a questioning look. "Why would you mention him in all of this?"

Zoey quickly got up from the bed. "Pretend I never said that."

I quickly stood up and Zoey made a beeline for the door. I followed her and just before she could hold the door knob, I reached her, held her by the hair and pulled her back.

"Ow, ow, ow!" Zoey yelled as she held the back of her head from where I pulled at her hair.

"Zoey, you're going to tell me right now what you mean," I said, pulling her hair even more. "Or else, I'll pull your hair out and you will not think of dying your own hair pink in the next ten years."

"Ouch! Sam! You're hurting me!" Zoey complained. "I was just joking around."

"You're lying."

"I'm telling the truth!"

"Come on, Zoey. You personally had a talk with G-Dragon, didn't you?"

I felt Zoey pause as she stopped struggling to get away. "How did you know?"

"I know because I know. So, what did you two talk about?"

"I can't tell you that."

"Why?"

"Because it's confidential. Owwwuch!" I made sure I tightened my fist even more under her hair pulling at her roots. "That really hurts!"

The door in front of us suddenly flew open. Lee came in the room and paused upon seeing the scene in front of her.

"Is it me or is Sam trying to braid your hair?" Lee asked Zoey with an unbelievable look on her face.

"Yes, I was," I said as I let go of Zoey's hair and Zoey blew out a sigh of relief. "Turns out, I'm not that good at it at all."

"No, you aren't," said Zoey as she massaged her scalp from where I had pulled her hair and she looked at me with a frown.

"You can tell me about your drama later," said Lee. "The car's here and we have to go."

Zoey whined as though she was about to cry. "Do we really have to go now?" she asked.

"I know it feels like you're going for a trial, but you don't have a choice."

"Lee's right," I said. "We do have to hear our managers out. Though we all know it won't be pretty."

"Fine," said Zoey. "Before we get there, I better prepare for the worst."

"Think positive," said Lee. "You can never know what might happen."

"No, Sam's already spoiled my mood with her own premonitions."

"And she did the right thing," said Lee with a smile.

I playfully rolled my eyes and didn't say a word as I walked out of the room with Zoey and Lee following suit. I found the other Toxins waiting by the elevator. They also looked worried.

"You all look like you're going to a funeral," said Zoey.

"And you were sounding like your hair's caught fire a minute ago," said Mike, folding his arms and looking at Zoey.

"I fell on the floor." Zoey looked at Mike with wide eyes.

"Never mind. Just like you guys, we are also worried," I said.

"Where is Collins?" Daniel asked.

"He left soon after breakfast," Lee answered.

The five of us turned to look at Lee. "What?" we said at the same time.

"He left early," said Lee, shrugging her shoulders

"Why? Is he really that mad at us that he wants to go ahead to prepare a death trap?" Zoey asked.

"Death trap? Seriously, Zoey?" Christine asked.

Zoey shrugged. "Couldn't think of any other way to say it."

"Okay, first of all," said Lee grabbing our attention. "There is no death trap. Secondly, after we came back from Times Square, I personally talked to Collins and he wasn't mad at you."

"Then do you know why he wants BlackPink, WINNER and us to meet?" Mike asked.

"That, he couldn't say."

"I thought you were his assistant," said Daniel.

"You know, Collins doesn't tell me everything. He treats me like I'm part of you guys too."

"Welcome to the monkey side," said Zoey as she rolled her eyes and scratched her head.

"Ya, I now know how that feels. But right now we better go."

Christine pressed the button to the elevator and when we all got in, we headed downstairs and went in the black SUV waiting for us. There were a few fans who stood outside the hotel premises and for a moment, it felt a little awkward that they were here in the nearly hours of the morning. I know it's normal for every fan to do so but today I couldn't help but feel that something was a bit odd about it. Then I remembered BTW.

We got to YG right on time and immediately we stepped into the lobby, we found all four members of WINNER heading for the elevator. Looked like they had also arrived a few seconds earlier.

"Hey, guys!" Zoey greeted loudly so that she could grab their attention.

"Zoey!" Mino turned around and had a huge smile on his face. "Hey, guys."

"Hi," the four of us responded and not in a way people would like to hear.

"You all look down," said Seungyoon. "What's wrong?"

"It's nothing really," I said. "We just don't like how this meeting is going to turn out."

The four members of WINNER all muttered at the same time.

"Guess we're not the only ones feeling that way," said Jinwoo.

"Are BlackPink already here?" Mike asked.

"The receptionist says they are waiting in the conference room," said Seunghoon.

"Okay," said Daniel as he rubbed his hands together. "Let's go meet our fate."

"If this comes out as a death trap, I'm going to say I told you so," said Zoey.

"There will be no such thing," said Christine. "You're just exaggerating what might come up that we won't like at all so you refer to it as a death trap."

"And you're making it sound ten times worse than it already is, Zoey," said Seungyoon, as he pouted his lip and scratched his head.

"Wonder where that came from," said Mino.

"Trust me, you don't want to know," said Lee as she pulled out her phone from her purse. "You guys go ahead and I'll give your managers a call that you're here."

"You aren't coming with us?" I asked.

"I might have joined the 'monkey's club' but I'm not going to be there when they drop a bombshell."

"See, death trap!" Zoey emphasised.

"Zoey!" everyone muttered loudly that Zoey quickly covered and looked away.

"Look, whether they are going to say what we might not like, a death trap as Zoey likes to put it. Or not, you'll be fine," said Lee. "We all have gone through this where you never like the decisions the managers have to make."

"Please, don't remind us," said Mike as he rubbed his forehead.

"Either way," Lee continued, "you better go. You don't want to be late."

"Won't you wish us luck?" I asked.

"You don't need it when you already know what's going to happen."

I gave Lee a sad smile and turned towards the elevator. I started to feel the way I always felt whenever you had to hear a decision that might just cost something in your life. Like suicide.

We started our way towards the elevator when all of the sudden, I stopped when I realised that I didn't have my phone with me. I checked the pockets of my jumper and my jean trousers. Nothing.

"Gosh, I think I left my phone in the car," I said. "You guys go ahead, I'll catch up."

I quickly ran out of the lobby as the others made their way into the elevator with Lee. When I got to the parking lot, I made my way towards the SUV we had driven in and luckily, I met the driver who was almost about to leave the car. I told him about my phone and he unlocked the doors for me so that I could check for it inside.

When I got to the passenger's seat, I saw the phone in between the seats I sat on with Zoey on our way here. I got in the car and sat in just to get it. When I did, I checked to see if I had any missed calls or messages. There were two missed calls and a message. I opened

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter