A Tour Gone Wrong

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

Sort of based this chapter off one of their One Fine Day show's episodes (not telling which part since it'd be a spoiler :))

and i just realized omg the previous chapter the pokemon's names didnt come out for the summary at the bottom

*************************

Rootwill is busy as a port town. Part of the town is built atop a cliff, buildings dotting the incline. To their right is the famed Rootwill market. The sounds of vendors shouting and screaming for people to buy their wares and the sheer number of people crowding around the stores is what sets Rootwill apart from other towns.

In any case, Rootwill is definitely bigger than Columinus and Springfall.

“You know, Sharpedo hang around these parts,” Youngjae grins. “And there’s something that I’ve been wanting to try.”

Yongguk raises a brow, “The Sharpedo tour?”

“Whoa, yeah, you’re right,” Youngjae grins, pointing finger guns at Yongguk. “I mean, it sounds cool.” He holds up his Everything You Need to Know about Oakre guidebook. Essentially, a list of tourist destinations. He had it ordered and delivered by the Pelipper Post a few months prior, about the same time when Jongup moved in, now that Daehyun thinks about it. “They put you in a cage and lower you down to you get to see the Sharpedo up close. It originated in Alola, but with Mantine tours instead of Sharpedo tours.”

“Well, that’s all fine and…all,” Himchan clears his throat. “You can go have your fun while I—”

“Wait, you’re not seriously going to back out on this, are you?” Junhong looks at him incredulously. Beside him, Cleffa shakes its head disapprovingly.

“Come on, it’ll be a great team-bonding experience! What say you…actually, no, you have no say in this. We’re all going to get our asses wiped by Sharpedo! Let’s go!” Giving any opposing party no room to complain, he marches off towards the port side of town.

Smiling a little, Daehyun follows after his friend, Junhong right behind them. Yongguk places a hand on Himchan’s shoulder, who’s staring at the three of them, mouth gaping.

“Dare to talk to me that—”

“Calm down, Himchan. Remember why you’re on this journey?”

Himchan’s fingers uncurl as he hisses something inaudibly. Without another sound, he strides after them, Yongguk following closely behind.

Jongup watches them all from the back. He looks down at Snivy, who nods resolutely, then turns his back to them and walks in the direction of Route 3.

*

“Don’t tell me that Jongup somehow left?!” Youngjae blurts out, throwing his hands up.

They’re already dressed in wetsuits and have already entered the cage. The water is cooling and inviting, the tiny ripples of water splashing up at their thighs. Junhong is peering down into the water, as if wondering if there really are Sharpedo down there.

“I could have left too…” Himchan murmurs to himself.

“Why? You scared?” Youngjae taunts, grinning as he puts on an Azububble helmet, a headwear similar in properties to that of an Azumarill’s bubble.

“N-Not in the slightest, I’ll have you know,” Himchan replies indignantly. Beside him, Popplio is engaged in a splashing contest with Totodile, and Junhong and Daehyun are somewhat egging them on.

“Alright, everyone ready?” a female’s voice resounds from the speaker attached to the cage.

Himchan quickly slips his head into the Azububble.

The cage lowers slowly, but steadily, and Youngjae doesn’t know whether it’s normal, but there is a seemingly suffocating feeling as water rises up to his chest, then to his neck, and finally, his head is submerged.

Beside him, Himchan is half-quivering, half-fascinated by their surroundings. Yongguk is on the other end of the cage, pointing out several Pokemon to Daehyun and Junhong.

Then, a giant shape swims past right in front of Youngjae’s eyes. A Sharpedo! The Pokemon’s body is rather short, but its red eyes and sharp fins and teeth make up for its size. This thing can probably rip any Pokemon to shreds!

Sharpedo. Level 49. Type: Water/Dark. Moves learned: Agility, Crunch, Poison Fang, Slash. Ability: Rough Skin (hurts a Pokemon upon contact). It has a sad history. In the past, its dorsal fin was a treasured foodstuff, so this Pokémon became a victim of overfishing.

Sharpedo aren’t the only Pokemon of interest, it appears. There are Pokemon such as Huntail and Gorebyss as well, and nearer the shallower seafloors, there are a bunch of Corsola and Chinchou, bright lights hanging from their heads.

It’s magical, really, underwater life. Youngjae has never seen anything like it.

“It’s really…amazing,” Himchan breathes beside him.

“See, told you you’d like it,” Youngjae grins. “Man, Jongup’s missing out.”

“Watch out!”

A body, Yongguk’s, as Youngjae later realizes, slams into Youngjae from behind, knocking the air out of his lungs as he is hurled against the other side of the cage, the cage swinging slowly against the water resistance.

“What’s the big ide—whoa!” Himchan grabs onto the metal railing of the cage to steady himself. Popplio darts out of the way to avoid getting stepped on, barking in surprise as the cage wobbles again.

Youngjae turns around to catch a glimpse of what is happening. His eyes widen when he sees a Sharpedo slamming its body against the cage with a resounding bang each time. Its red eyes are strained, almost as if it’s acting against its will as it slams its body once more into the cage.

The cage creaks, and Youngjae instantly fears for his life.

“What is it doing—!” Himchan hisses, clearly panicking as he grasps the iron bars in a death grip. Daehyun slams his hand on the button of the intercom, the group waiting anxiously as the intercom buzzes to life and they are answered with a female voice.

“E-Excuse me, there’s a Sharpedo attacking the cage. Could—yes, thank you!”

Everyone looks relieved as the cage begins to move, inch by slow inch, through the water. The Sharpedo snarls and chases after them, forcing its body against the cage from the bottom, the cage shaking violently.

Youngjae can almost see the water’s surface. He just might cry as they emerge from the water all drenched and dripping. Daehyun jolts as the Sharpedo tackles them once more from the bottom. Himchan scrambles out of the cage, Azububble helmet bumping onto one of the lifeguards who tries to get them out of there. Junhong manages to get out as well, followed by Youngjae, then D-

Daehyun loses his grip as a Sharpedo rams into the cage from below, and he tumbles into the water, scream cut off halfway.

“Daehyun!” Youngjae shouts.

“We have to go save him!” Youngjae looks back up at Yongguk helplessly as Yongguk crawls out of the cage.

“It’s too risky, Youngjae,” Junhong grabs Youngjae’s shoulder. “It’s better to wait for help—”

“ it, man, Daehyun’s not gonna make it if we wait!”

Shrugging Junhong’s hand away, Youngjae dives into the water, ignoring Junhong and Yongguk’s frenzied yells.

*

Jongup heard the commotion. A crowd has gathered at the stone jetties, and he quickens his pace, a bad feeling coiling in his gut. He hears frantic shouts and…

“Petilil?” he squats down as the tiny green Pokemon squeezes its way through the crowd and nearly collapses in front of it, looking panicked. Petilil belts out a series of sounds, and within seconds, Jongup’s got the whole picture.

He makes it to the jetty where he sees Yongguk, Junhong and Himchan as well as a burly half-dressed man with a Mantyke by his side. At Jongup’s command, Dewpider on his shoulder blows a bubble large enough to fit his head. He shrugs off his jacket and shirt, dumping them at the side of the jetty along with his bag. He returns Snivy to its Pokeball.

“Move.”

The man barely has time to turn around before Jongup dives into the water, bubble still intact. Dewpider swims by his side, movements swift in the water. There. Jongup sees them.

Youngjae is desperately trying to keep the Sharpedo away from Daehyun, but it’s hard to swim through the water especially with a seemingly-unconscious Daehyun under his arm.

“Spider Web!”

A Sharpedo appears out of nowhere to go for a chunk of Youngjae’s arm, but Dewpider’s thread is streamlined, moving faster through the water than the Sharpedo, and wraps it up in a net of sticky spider web. The Sharpedo growls and s about, trying to shake the web off, but that substance is sticky.

Dewpider hurls webs at the other Sharpedo at well, catching all of them in sticky nets. Jongup swims down and helps Youngjae, taking over the rescue effort and he swims all the way to the surface, with Daehyun’s limp body in tow and Youngjae following closely behind.

He emerges from the sea a good distance from the jetty, where he sees the other three people’s familiar figures from the jetty. He does a half-stroke, considering the weight he’s carrying, muscles straining with the effort. He’s acutely aware of Daehyun’s head lolling against his shoulder, the helmet bumping into Jongup’s own bubble a few times. Daehyun’s skin is warm, yet turning colder, against his own, and Jongup propels himself faster through the water.

Eventually, he does reach the jetty, making sure to avoid the numerous Binacle attached to the stone.

Jongup pops the bubble around his head with a stab of the finger, and Yongguk and Junhong, who have changed back to their original clothes, help him haul Daehyun back onto dry land, removing his Azububble while he’s at it. Jongup helps Youngjae up, seeing as the boy is injured (his arm has a giant gash). Finally, he pulls himself out of the water. He gathers his things up from the side and throws his shirt back onto his damp body.

“We have to get that checked,” Junhong says, referring to Youngjae’s arm, poking it and earning a pained hiss and a whack on the head by the other boy.

Jongup walks past them and notes that Yongguk and Himchan are at least trying to help Daehyun over to the Pokemon Centre, the unconscious boy hanging off Yongguk’s back like a koala. Jongup and Yongguk exchange glances, and Yongguk ferries Daehyun off to the Pokemon Centre, Himchan right beside him. Jongup turns to find Youngjae limping over, arm still bleeding, leaning on Junhong as the latter tries to bring him to the Centre as well.

By now, a greater crowd has gathered, watching the touring mishap victims even as they enter the safety of the Pokemon Centre.

The nurse is utterly shocked and offers them two beds in the infirmary. Jongup once again releases Snivy, the green Pokemon using its vines to climb up onto Daehyun’s bed, now soaked with water as the nurse goes to get dry towels and blankets for them. It perches itself near Daehyun’s pillow, watching as the boy gets some rest.

A Chansey is tending to Youngjae’s arm. In no time, the gash is gone, replaced by a scar that is almost invisible.

Jongup throws Yongguk a look, and Yongguk nods.

“Where are you going?” Himchan asks as Yongguk gets up from the stool by the side of the bed.

“Getting some food. They’re going to need something warm when they wake up,” Yongguk says. “Don’t worry. We’ll be back soon.”

The crowd outside the Pokemon Centre has dispersed, though both Jongup and Yongguk know that some are still talking about it, buzzing about it amongst themselves. It’s not like Jongup to draw so much attention to himself, but there was really no choice in this case.

Jongup knows Yongguk isn’t exactly calling him out to buy food for their injured friends, and he can’t help asking as they make their way through the quieter alleyways near the heart of the town. Yongguk hums.

“It’s a Feral Pokemon attack,” Yongguk says. Rufflet caws in agreement on his shoulder.

They pass by a street vendor selling berry ice cream. Yongguk buys one.

“What?” he purses his lips when Jongup gives him a look.

“I thought you didn’t like sweet things?” Jongup asks as he watches the vendor put the Pecha berry ice cream tub into a box into a small cooler with ice.

“Yeah, but Himchan does.”

Rufflet caws again and Yongguk finishes the payment for his Pecha ice cream. Jongup sees Snivy smiling out of the corner of his eye. They continue walking down when they see a shadowy figure turn out of a dark alleyway into the near-deserted streets, hands stuffed into his pockets, hood pulled over his head, a Timburr and Torchic walking by his side.

Timburr. Level 9. Type: Fighting. Moves learned: Bide, Pound, Leer, Focus Energy. Ability: Sheer Force (removes added effects of moves to deal more damage). These Pokémon appear at building sites and help out with construction. They always carry squared logs.

Torchic. Level 11. Type: Fire. Moves learned: Scratch, Growl, Ember, Sand-Attack. Ability: Blaze (increases power of Fire-type moves when health is low). A fire burns inside, so it feels very warm to hug. It launches fireballs of 1,000 degrees Celsius.

Yongguk narrows his eyes. There’s something oddly familiar about the boy’s hoodie.

He realizes it the moment Jongup breaks into a sprint.

Unfortunately, his footfalls are loud and un-Jongup-like. The boy with the hoodie hears them before Jongup gets within five metres and he whips around, hood flying off his head, revealing a youthful face framed by messy black hair, earrings studding his lobes, glinting conspicuously in the sunlight.

“Snivy, Wrap!”

Jongup’s voice is clipped and sharp and Snivy responds accordingly, vines sprouting from its back, headed straight for the Timburr.

“Ember!”

The stranger’s voice is smooth and silky, Yongguk observes, as Torchic hurls a fireball at Snivy’s vine, burning the Pokemon badly. Snivy recoils and Jongup sends out Helioptile. , Yongguk’s got to intervene somehow.

“Jongup, stop!”

Jongup doesn’t listen (did Yongguk expect him to?), and instead, commands Helioptile to attack with a Shock Wave, hitting Timburr with the electricity. Timburr growls and grasps its log even more tightly in its tiny hands and it swings at Helioptile, catching it in the flank, sending Helioptile flying towards the nearest office building.

It scares the living daylights out of a group of office workers emerging from the building, one of the female clerks screaming as Helioptile misses her by inches.

“Quick Attack!”

Helioptile recovers quickly and zips out of there just as Timburr goes at it with another Pound attack. It attacks Timburr from behind, ramming into the Pokemon.

Meanwhile, Snivy isn’t having such a great time with Torchic, due to the type disadvantage—grass doesn’t do so well against fire. Torchic burns off its vines every time Snivy tries to go on the offensive, to the point where Jongup withdraws Snivy to send out Dewpider.

“Someone call the police!” one of the men shouts and the same woman from before takes out her phone, jabbing the numbers frantically.

“Jongup, we have to leave!” Yongguk exclaims, patience running thin. He makes a grab for Jongup’s arm, but Jongup pushes him away with commendable force.

“Bubblebeam!”

“Focus Energy and Scratch!”

Torchic avoids the Bubblebeam and lands a critical hit on Dewpider, sending it spiralling to the ground in a mess of tangled legs.

The local police must be fast to respond, because before long, Yongguk can hear the sounds of sirens approaching. The boy can hear it too, it seems, because he suddenly returns Timburr to its Pokeball and fire bursts from Torchic’s beak, engulfing the place in a fire wall.

“Ya! Come back!” Jongup tries to see the hooded figure through the fire, but the flames are already at the walls of the surrounding buildings, eliciting shrieks and screams from the residents and office workers.

“,” Yongguk decides. “Jongup! Get Dewpider—”

“Come back here you bastard!” Jongup shouts over the roar of the fire. “Come back and finish—”

“Dewpider, Bubblebeam!”

Dewpider gives a worried glance towards Jongup but obeys Yongguk anyways, putting out the flames with a steady stream of bubbles in all directions, the bubbles filled with water popping once they reach their target, dowsing the flames.

“Jongup, stop it!” Yongguk socks him across the cheek, and that seems to slap some sense into the boy, because he stops with his fury-filled ranting, head snapped to the side, an angry red mark blooming across the pale skin Houndour barks in surprise. “You don’t want to get suspended, do you?!”

A limping Helioptile crawls back to Jongup, wobbling ever so slightly as it stands beside its Trainer, sending a glare up at Yongguk, but Yongguk doesn’t care. Dewpider returns as well, scuttling up Jongup’s back to rest on his shoulders.

“We have to get your Pokemon healed up,” Yongguk says. The police—”

“The police is right here,” a drawl comes from behind them. A lanky officer stands in front of them, dressed in a grey trench coat, shocking pink-framed sunglasses perched atop his head. His hair is messy, with streaks of purple dancing through the locks. His Pokemon, Herdier, stays loyally by his side, emitting no noise, just silently staring at the two.

“Ah, fancy seeing you here,” the officer grins, smile on his lips. Yongguk recognizes this guy. He’s the head of the Rootwill Police Force, goes by Ren. He’s appeared on the news more times than Yongguk can count. “So, what’s happened here?”

Yongguk looks at the charred walls of the buildings. “Fire broke out.” It’s best to keep the shadowy figure with that hoodie to themselves for now. No need to get the local police involved in something like this.

“Wasn’t just a fire,” a woman piped up from the side, looking a little too happy for a burned building. Yongguk mentally curses his luck. “There was this boy in a black hoodie. He was about this tall…oh, and he had a Timburr and a fire bird Pokemon.”

“Thanks for that,” Ren nods. “Officer Junhyun!” He raises a hand and a shorter, stouter officer appears by his side, dressed in the usual police uniform—white with black and yellow strips on the shoulder pad, complete with a baton tucked into his belt. “Jot all that down, would you?”

The officer gets to work immediately, scribbling down the woman’s words on a notepad.

“So, Bang and Up,” Ren grins. “What brings you here?”

*

“They’re gone awfully long.”

Himchan is asleep, face pressed against the side of Youngjae’s bed, the latter already snoring peacefully, head turned the other way. Daehyun is awake and has already changed out of his wetsuit. He’s now resting in bed, the covers pulled up to his chest and he fiddles with the corners of the blanket.

“How long?” Daehyun asks.

“Ever since they were still awake,” Junhong says. Cleffa pats his back comfortingly as Junhong buries his face into Daehyun’s mattress, taking a deep breath. “Which was about forty-five minutes ago. They promised us hot food.”

“Well, maybe there’re long queues,” Daehyun tries to reason. Buying food shouldn’t take forty-five minutes, especially given that Jongup is someone who is constantly focused on the task at hand and is unlikely to get side-tracked. Yongguk, on the other hand, he can’t tell, since he’s just met the guy today.

Besides, the sun is already about to set and Daehyun just wants to lie down and go back to sleep. He’s just really tuckered out by today’s events. Nearly getting his arm chomped off by Bagon (who is now sleeping curled up against Daehyun, by the way), almost become Sharpedo food…man, Daehyun just wants to sleep.

Just then, the door opens, and Daehyun watches as Jongup and Yongguk walk in, carrying various plastic bags and food containers. Yongguk takes one look at the two sleeping people in the room and places the bags of food on the bedside table between the two beds.

“There’s Pecha ice cream for dessert—half-melted by now—and there’s Mago rice, Tauros steak rice and Finneon fillet. There’s also a berry platter for the Pokemon. I don’t know what you all liked, so I just got some of everything. The Finneon fillet is their specialty, by the way. Since you’re awake, you get first pick.”

Jongup doesn’t say a word, instead heading over to a sofa placed at the far end of the room and picks out his Pokedex, and looks as if he’s texting on it.

It’s hard not to ask what’s wrong, especially since even for Jongup, this is a little out of character. Something claws at Daehyun to ask. Even if he dares not ask Jongup, he should at least question Yongguk.

As if sensing his question at the tip of his tongue, Yongguk shakes his head, and instead offers Daehyun some food, which the latter gratefully accepts.

A while later, Youngjae and Himchan wake up. They have their dinner, and the nurses arrive once more, offering them rooms in the dormitories. They do one final checkup on both Daehyun and Youngjae and after which, discharge them from the infirmary.

Jongup announces he’s going for a walk. Youngjae offers to follow, but is harshly turned down by the blue-haired boy. Daehyun glances at his retreating figure through the darkness, and Yongguk shepherds them to the dormitories, saying that they need a good night’s rest after the events that happened.

*

“Mum! Dad!”

“No, don’t! Come back! They’re already dead!”

“No! They’re not dead! Stop lying! Mum! Dad!”

Crack.

“Get out of the way!”

*

Pokedex entries gathered:

- Sharpedo

Sharpedo
- Timburr

Timburr
- Torchic

Torchic

 

Cameo appearances:

Huntail (one of the Pokemon seen during the Sharpedo tour)

Huntail

Gorebyss (one of the Pokemon seen during Sharpedo tour)

Gorebyss

Corsola (one of the Pokemon seen during Sharpedo tour)

Corsola

Chinchou (one of the Pokemon seen during Sharpedo tour)

Chinchou

Mantyke (the lifeguard's Pokemon)

Mantyke

Herdier (Ren's Pokemon)

Herdier

*

Daehyun’s Pokemon:

  • Cottonee. Level 10. Moves: Absorb, Stun Spore, Fairy Wind, Leech Seed. Characteristic: Capable of taking hits
  • Chimchar. Level 5. Moves: Scratch, Leer. Ability: Blaze
  • Bagon. Level 5. Moves: Rage, Ember. Ability: Rock Head

Youngjae’s Pokemon:

  • Petilil. Level 10. Moves: Absorb, Growth, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder. Ability: Own Tempo
  • Buneary. Level 8. Moves: Pound, Endure, Frustration, Foresight. Ability: Klutz
  • Fennekin. Level 5. Moves: Scratch, Tail Whip, Ember. Ability: Blaze

Jongup’s Pokemon:

  • Helioptile. Level 17. Moves: Quick Attack, Charge, Shock Wave, Mud-Slap. Ability: Sand Veil
  • Riolu. Level 19. Moves: Feint, Copycat, Foresight, Force Palm. Ability: Inner Focus
  • Dewpider Level 17. Moves: Water Sport, Bubblebeam, Bug Bite, Spider Web. Ability: Water Bubble
  • Snivy. Level 14. Moves: Tackle, Growth, Vine Whip, Wrap. Ability: Overgrow

Junhong’s Pokemon:

  • Cleffa. Level 10. Moves: Sing, Charm, Pound, Sweet Kiss. Ability: Cute Charm
  • Bellsprout. Level 10. Moves: Vine Whip, Growth. Ability: Chlorophyll.
  • Meditite. Level 12. Moves: Detect, Confusion, Bide, Meditate. Ability: Pure Power
  • Totodile. Level 5. Moves: Scratch, Leer. Ability: Torrent.

Yongguk’s Pokemon:

  • Rufflet. Level 10. Moves: Peck, Leer, Fury Attack, Wing Attack. Ability: Keen Eye.
  • Houndour. Level 12. Moves: Ember, Smog, Leer, Howl. Ability: Flash Fire
  • Spinarak. Level 10. Moves: Infestation, Absorb, String Shot, Constrict. Ability: Insomnia
  • Treecko. Level 5. Moves: Pound, Leer, Absorb. Ability: Overgrow.

Himchan’s Pokemon:

  • Flabebe. Level 9. Moves: Vine Whip, Fairy Wind, Tackle. Ability: Flower Veil
  • Ralts. Level 9. Moves: Confusion, Double Team, Growl, Teleport. Ability: Trace
  • Popplio. Level 5. Moves: Pound, Growl, Water Gun. Ability: Torrent