Rain or Shine, Sandstorm or Fog

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

heyyyy im back im finally free from pw XD and hoping i got an A for oral presentation i made the examiner laugh im so proud of myself (and no it wasnt a mocking laugh)

and btw "you're not the one" is basically a reference to the lumiose ghost girl's infamous line in pokemon x/y just google it and watch the vid at like 12am :)

*******************************

The next morning, Daehyun is woken up by the strike of a lightning bolt. He jolts, sitting up, only to find that he’s shivering and his blanket is on the floor. Damn, he must have kicked it away during his sleep. It’s still dark out, and the clock says six in the morning. Way too early to be awake. He tries to go back to sleep, but the incessant rain outside is severely impacting his ability to.

Cottonee seems to notice that he’s awake, and sleepily cuddles up to him, snuggling its soft body into Daehyun’s side. Daehyun winds an arm around Cottonee and covers it with his blanket. Hopefully, it doesn’t catch a cold. Cottonee falls back to sleep once more.

Daehyun just browses the app store on his Pokedex—who knew that an encyclopedia can be so…advanced? Finding nothing of interest to download, he checks the map app. Next on their list is Quakemore Town just past a place called Howlbreak Forest. He scrolls through the snapshots of the place included in the map app. A forest filled with dense greenery. Lanterns are hung from the trees. There is apparently a shrine in the middle of the forest.

There is another flash of lightning and Daehyun actually jumps. He looks out of the window, and sees something floating in the air, above the city. No, two things. Another flash of lightning and Daehyun rubs his eyes. Is he hallucinating?

No, he’s not. Arceus, he’s got to check this out.

He crawls out of bed, accidentally waking Cottonee in the process, and the sleepy Pokemon follows him out of the room, its Trainer dressed in only a white wifebeater with a jacket thrown over his shoulders and slacks. He’s going to freeze. Daehyun takes the stairs down to the ground floor, only to find the door boarded up.

“Yes?” the receptionist asks, waving him over. How is she so cheerful at six-thirty in the morning?

“What are those—?” Daehyun starts, gesturing towards the door, and his eardrums nearly rupture at the sudden roll of thunder.

“Oh, it’s the yearly battle,” the receptionist says, rather nonchalantly, if Daehyun may add. “Tornadus and Thundurus always fight the day after the Harvest Festival.”

“Fight? Whatever for?”

“It’s their…tradition, I suppose. Those two Pokemon are always butting heads with each other,” the receptionist says, smiling. “But they don’t bother us, usually. Just cause a little rain and lightning strikes here and there.”

“Ah,” Daehyun says.

“Though, you are the first person to come running down like that.”

Daehyun’s face flushes, “Huh.”

The elevator dings and Daehyun finds a familiar figure walking out, dressed in his usual fashion, Lucario following behind him and Minun scampering beside him.

“Jongup?”

Jongup looks just as surprised as Daehyun feels, apparently, but masks it pretty well.

“What are you doing up so early?” Daehyun asks as Jongup approaches the boarded doors. The receptionist protests, saying something about it being dangerous outside, but Jongup doesn’t seem to listen. He stands right in front of the wooden planks stuck on the doors.

“Lucario.”

Lucario punches the wooden planks, smashing the wood into bits.

“H-Hey!” The receptionist looks angry now, her Litwick hopping to her side from behind the reception counter. Daehyun tries his hardest to ignore her as he follows Jongup out into the rain, not even caring that he’s getting drenched. The cold wind howls.

There, above him, Daehyun can see two Pokemon clashing with fists of swirling wind and sparking electricity. The one commanding the winds is green with yellow dots and the one with power over the lightning is blue with purple spots. Jongup breaks into a sprint, Lucario by his side, feet splashing into puddles and kicking up water.

“H-Hey! Wait!” Daehyun’s words are swallowed by another crash of thunder and the two Pokemon are forced backwards, powers fizzling out in the rain. Just what is Jongup thinking? It’s ing dangerous out here! He leaps six feet into the air in fright as lightning nearly strikes him, the bolt hitting the ground right beside him.

“Jongup!” Daehyun shouts once more, braving the torrential rain as he splashes through the sleepy streets of Faultmount City.

Daehyun rounds a corner and slips, landing on his rear end at the entrance of a vacant alleyway, but out of the corner of his eye he sees Jongup run into the alleyway. He picks himself up, ignoring the freezing cold of the water seeping through his garments and he quickly makes after Jongup, Cottonee faithfully by his side.

Jongup stops at the university, and Daehyun can see why. At the entrance to the underground path to the shrine, a beam of light tears through the air into the sky, a golden glow amidst the dreary dark. The two fighting Pokemon don’t appear to have noticed, as they continue to throw attacks at each other.

Then, the beam of light glows brighter, nearly blinding Daehyun, as it sears through the grey clouds. A form appears in the light—a being that is mainly orange and looks nearly like the two green and blue Pokemon—and it clashes with the two, forcing the both of them apart with its strong arms. Daehyun can barely wrap his head around the sight.

Tornadus. Level 55. Type: Flying. Moves learned: Tailwind, Crunch, Air Slash, Rain Dance. Ability: Prankster (increases priority of status moves). The lower half of its body is wrapped in a cloud of energy. It zooms through the sky at 200 mph.

Thundurus. Level 55. Type: Electric/Flying. Moves learned: Nasty Plot, Charge, Crunch, Discharge. Ability: Prankster (increases priority of status moves). The spikes on its tail discharge immense bolts of lightning. It flies around the Unova region firing off lightning bolts.

Landorus. Level 55. Type: Ground/Flying. Moves learned: Sandstorm, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Earth Power. Ability: Sand Force (increases power of Rock-, Ground- and Steel-type moves in sandstorm). From the forces of lightning and wind, it creates energy to give nutrients to the soil and make the land abundant.

So, these are the three Pokemon fighting together to make the land more fertile so that Faultmount can have a bountiful harvest? But that doesn’t explain why Jongup has run out like that, and headed for…

“Smack Down.”

A sharp rock travels at such a fast speed that Daehyun is unable to respond, only staring in horror as the rock would have hit him if not for Jongup’s Lucario’s Aura Sphere, the blue sphere colliding with the rock and smashing it to bits.

“Well, this is certainly a problem.”

Jongup turns to glare at the person speaking, who just happens to be walking their way, Graveler, Cranidos and Aerodactyl by his side. Daehyun’s jaw drops and points, rather rudely, to the newcomer, who has his head tilted back and is smirking.

“You!” Daehyun cries out. Cottonee appears to be just as shocked.

“Why yes, it’s me,” Hoseok looks proud of himself. “What a shame, really. Would have gotten away with it too, if not for you meddling kids.”

Daehyun’s head spins. So, the Hoseok who pretended to be so nice as to show them around Faultmount…what is he doing out here? And attacking them, no less!

“Well, you’ll have to excuse me here. I have three legendary Pokemon I need to catch,” Hoseok says. “Graveler, Smack Down!”

A piece of rock blasts off from Graveler’s body at supersonic speed, aimed straight at Thundurus, but once again, is pulverized before it reaches his target. Lucario has its arms raised, tip of its fingers smoking as it has just released an Aura Sphere.

“I’m not letting you catch those three Pokemon,” Jongup says, stepping forward. “Daehyun, call Yongguk.”

Thunder rolls once more, and Hoseok’s entire demeanour changes. Not anymore is he the bubbly lecturer from the day before. He frowns, this time, and the lightning flashes aren’t making it any better. Jongup releases Araquanid, the Water-type welcoming the pouring rain.

Daehyun fumbles around with his Pokedex, the device even dropping into a puddle on the ground.

“Stealth Rock!”

Pointed stones are scattered in the air around them.

“Aqua Ring,” Jongup says, and Araquanid surrounds itself with a ring of water crafted from the falling raindrops around them. Daehyun picks his soaked Pokedex up in a hurry and quickly dials Yongguk’s number.

Strange, Hoseok doesn’t seem to care?

“Agility!”

Aerodactyl then begins to move, seemingly getting faster and faster, wings becoming a blur as it circles them from on high.

Aerodactyl. Level 32. Type: Rock/Flying. Moves learned: Ancient Power, Agility, Wing Attack, Protect. Ability: Rock Head (does not take recoil damage). A Pokémon from the age of the dinosaurs. It used its sawlike fangs to shred its prey before eating them.

“Ancient Power.”

“Lucario!”

Lucario sidesteps one of Ancient Power’s stones which crash into the ground and shatter upon impact. It aims an Aura Sphere once more at Aerodactyl, but the fossil Pokemon hardens its body in a Protect move, the Aura Sphere doing nothing when it hits Aerodactyl.

“Argh!” Daehyun gives an involuntary scream as something hits him sharp in the shin. Pain burns through him as he topples. Just as Yongguk picks up, Daehyun loses his grip on the Pokedex and it falls once more to the ground. He hears a crackle sound from the other end. Out of his peripheral vision, Cottonee dives forward, throwing a Giga Drain attack, health from Cranidos.

Cranidos collapses, but the damage has been done. Daehyun’s head spins when he sees the sheer amount of blood on his shin. It hurts so bad, like a throbbing thorn in the side, except ten times worse. His bone must be broken, because he can’t pick himself up and tears of pain fill his eyes. Cottonee hovers over him worriedly, but there’s really nothing it can do.

Daehyun grabs his Pokedex and tries to speak as quietly as possible, “Hello? Yongguk!”

“Daehyun! What’s happening over there?”

“C-Come quick! Please! We’re near some—”

“Coming right over.”

Yongguk hangs up and Daehyun lets out the breath he didn’t know he’s been holding. He snaps his head up to Hoseok’s voice.

“Graveler, Smack Down!”

Three stones emerge from Graveler’s rocky body and are fired off towards the three fighting Pokemon at light speed.

“Aur—!”

Lucario’s attack is interrupted by a sudden Wing Attack from Aerodactyl, the Pokemon slapping Lucario hard with its rocky wing. Lucario, stunned, is thrown to the floor, but Araquanid sends a Bubblebeam attack towards Aerodactyl, who dodges it with ease.

Then, the lightning stops. The thunder stops. The wind’s howling is less than quiet now. Daehyun looks up, blinking away the tears as the rain continues to fall, further blurring his vision. The three Pokemon, Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus, are…gone.

“Cranidos.”

The fallen Cranidos from earlier rises, thanks to a Revive that Hoseok gave it, and now rushes down the alleyway.

“Minun!” Jongup releases Minun next, and Daehyun can only see the smirk on Hoseok’s face as the pointed stones laid from earlier digs into Minun, the small Pokemon taking the full brunt of the damage as it zips off past Cranidos.

“It’s not strong enough to get past Cranidos by itself,” Hoseok says, skin around his eyes crinkling as he smiles. He raises a hand, and Graveler sets out another layer of Stealth Rock, preventing them from going anywhere.

“You know, I’d be a fool to target you directly,” Hoseok says. With another wave of his hand, Daehyun finds himself surrounded by the sharp rocks. If he even so much as moves a finger, he’s going to be dead, and the sense of dread simmers like a kettle about to blow. Through the tiny cracks in the wall of Stealth Rock, he can see Jongup looking conflicted.

“Return all your Pokemon to your Pokeballs and drop them to the ground,” Hoseok commands.

Jongup doesn’t move, looking as if he’s considering his options.

“Now!”

Daehyun shudders as he hugs Cottonee closer to himself, as if trying to shield it from whatever’s happening out there. It’s as if the rain has gotten heavier, because he can feel every single drop on his already-wet skin. He shivers. The chills are getting to him.

He watches in part-dismay, part-relief as Jongup places his Pokeballs on the ground. Half of him wants to shout at him, tell him to beat the out of this bastard, but at the same time, half of him just wants to go home. What made him think that starting out on this journey is a good idea? He should have just stayed home, back in Springfall, where he has his boat, has his lake.

“That’s a good boy.”

He hears a sharp scream and eyes widen as the second layer of Stealth Rock that has been laid out pierces into Jongup’s body. So many rocks, so much blood…Daehyun squeezes his eyes shut as he waits for the same fate.

But all he hears is the crackle of electricity, and another shout of indignation.

The stones around Daehyun become charged with electricity, and are repelled by each other, forcing them away from Daehyun, revealing more of his surroundings. Hoseok is angry, lips curled into a snarl, once grinning face replaced by a furious expression as he regards the blue mouse Pokemon, Minun having levitated the three rocks that Graveler had used in Smack Down earlier behind it, Cranidos nowhere to be found.

Lightning crackles in the sky once more, and with one swift move, Minun pops open the catches on the rest of Jongup’s Pokeballs on the ground.

Araquanid bursts out of his ball and takes this chance to launch a Bubblebeam on Aerodactyl, taking the Pokemon by surprise and puncturing its wings with the beam. Lucario leaps out and fires an Aura Sphere, the blue sphere blasting and taking Graveler out. Helioptile unleashes a Parabolic Charge, this time catching Hoseok across the chest with electricity.

Servine, looking the most angry out of them all, whips out two vines and grabs Hoseok’s neck, lifting him up into the air and squeezing.

Oh Arceus, no matter how evil Hoseok is, Daehyun doesn’t want a death on his hands, or Jongup’s hands, or anyone’s, really. He tries to get up, but his broken leg isn’t helping matters. He collapses back down on the ground, and can only look up to Jongup’s Pokemon helplessly. In desperation, he calls out to it.

“Servine! Stop!”

Servine doesn’t stop. Even in the dim lighting, Daehyun can see Hoseok’s body going limp in Servine’s grasp. His Pokemon are all defeated. If this continues, he’s surely going to…

“Servine!” Daehyun tries to crawl, dragging his leg along with him as he inches forward. “Servine!”

This time, though, Servine seems to hear Daehyun, because with one last snarl, Servine hurls an unconscious Hoseok to the ground.

“Daehyun!”

Daehyun turns around to find a familiar party running up to him. Yongguk, Himchan, Youngjae, Junhong, with Meditite and Spearow leading the way.

“Holy .” Himchan looks like he’s going to throw up. Daehyun gulps, not daring to look at Jongup’s battered form straight.

Jongup is basically bleeding from every pore of his body, stones peeking out of his body, jutting out from his arms, chest, stomach, legs…including his face and neck.

“Himchan, quick,” Yongguk urges, and Kirlia steps forward at its Trainer’s command, horns glowing a bright red as it lets out a Heal Pulse. Stars of white burst from Floette’s flower and it uses a Wish move, most likely to heal Jongup up as much as possible. The stones are removed rather painfully by Servine and Minun. Daehyun hisses as he sees the punctured hole through Jongup’s cheek, which closes up easily with Kirlia’s Heal Pulse.

“How did this…how did this happen?” Youngjae asks. Floette is helping with its Wish move, managing to close up the wound in Daehyun’s leg. “You owe me an explanation, Daehyun.” His voice is dangerously low. Daehyun dips his head, wet hair plastered to his forehead.

The rain begins to let up, with some sunlight peeking through the clouds.

“Oh my Arceus. Hoseok, you can’t even defeat a party of six?”

Another figure emerges from the other end of the alleyway, accompanied by his own Pokemon. He is dressed in a cloak with the Team BTS logo on his chest. The hood of the cloak is thrown over his head, water sliding off the waterproof fabric.

“Seriously,” the man says, his Pawniard mocking them as well. Behind him stands a boy, a tall one, and Yongguk appears to recognize him, especially his Combusken and Gurdurr. He is dressed in the same purple hood as the man, with the BTS logo on it.

The man standing in front seems to take some time to size them up before saying, “Ferroseed, Pin Missile.”

The Ferroseed that was so inconspicuous behind the man leaps out and begins spinning, sending spikes flying in every direction.

Even without Himchan’s command, Brionne sends an Icy Wind at the missiles, coating it in ice and the spikes drop to the ground, useless.

“Braixen!”

Youngjae’s Braixen leaps out, flames covering its body as it charges Ferroseed, but before it can even get to the Pokemon, the rain puts its fire out, and Braixen rushes straight into Ferroseed’s spiky body, crashing into it hard and sustaining massive damage.

Mightyena and Grovyle leap out, ready to defend their Trainers.

“Swagger!”

However, Mightyena doesn’t listen, and begins attacking with Bite, sharp teeth chomping down on the hard head of the man’s Shieldon. There isn’t even so much as a crack on the plate of metal.

“Wait, what?” Himchan is confused as Mightyena continues to bite down into Shieldon’s impossibly hard head.

Daehyun’s Pokedex beeps (it’s somehow alive after enduring so much abuse) and he flips it open.

Shieldon. Level 21. Type: Steel/Rock. Moves learned: Iron Defense, Take Down, Metal Sound, Taunt. Ability: Sturdy (prevents fainting in one hit). Many fossils of this Pokémon have been found, but almost none have shown signs of damage to the face.

It must have used Taunt, so Mightyena couldn’t use any move other than Bite.

“Grovyle!”

Grovyle aims a Fury Cutter attack at Shieldon’s back, having sidestepped its Take Down attack and is now preparing to slash down…

A strong fireball manages to catch Grovyle off guard, the Pokemon that has bathed itself in flames smacking into Grovyle hard from behind. Thanks to the rain, Grovyle doesn’t suffer so much damage, but the Combusken seriously has dealt quite a bit.

Combusken. Level 35. Type: Fire/Fighting. Moves learned: Bulk Up, Quick Attack, Flame Charge, Peck. Ability: Blaze (increase power of Fire-type moves when weakened). Its kicking mastery lets it loose 10 kicks per second. It emits sharp cries to intimidate foes.

Gurdurr roars and takes Mightyena out with a well-aimed Wake-Up Slap attack, since Dark-type is weak to Fighting-type. Mightyena is returned to its Pokeball.

This time, Junhong’s Pokemon joins the fray, with Weepinbell spreading a blanket of Sleep Powder over the Shieldon and Ferroseed. Meditite attacks with a Force Palm, dealing super-effective damage to Shieldon.

“Oh man, this is taking too long,” the man scratches his head. “Oh well. Jeongguk, you know what to do.”

The boy, Jeongguk, relays a command to his other Pokemon, Croagunk, and the Pokemon rushes forward, taking Minun by surprise. It manages to jab Minun’s belly with a Poison Sting attack, the purple substance leaking out of its claw and into Minun.

The electricity fizzles out from the rocks and the rocks that Minun was levitating drops lifelessly to the ground. With Gurdurr’s help, Croagunk scoops the rocks from the ground, and it’s only then that Daehyun realizes that embedded in the rock are three Quick Balls—Pokeballs that work better at the start of a battle. Inside the balls are Tornadus, Thundurus and Landorus.

So that’s why Hoseok had been sent Cranidos away. It was to collect the Pokeballs containing the three Pokemon.

“No time to be playing with you,” the man says. “Any longer and I’ll get dirty rain on my beautiful skin.” He recalls all his Pokemon except his Pawniard and the Croagunk and Gurdurr dash back to Jeongguk’s side. Combusken gets the memo as well and stops fighting with Grovyle and Mightyena. A Machoke that Daehyun hadn’t even realized had been sent out is now grasping Hoseok’s unconscious body.

“See ya, uglies,” the man gives a wink and then with Jeongguk, disappears down the alleyway.

“Hey! Wait!” Himchan prepares to run after them, but Yongguk reaches out and grabs his shoulder.

“We should focus on getting Jongup and Daehyun to safety,” Yongguk scolds. “They’re too dangerous at the moment.”

Himchan lets out a low, guttural sound, but says nothing, and turns back, teeth gritted.

Jongup looks more or less healed now, apart from a rock that has pierced through his calf and is currently being extracted. Kirlia lets out another Healing Pulse and the wound closes.

The rain lessens to nothing more than a light drizzle. Lucario carries Jongup, as the six of them head back to their hotel.

*

“Children’s bones?!”

Junmyeon pulls his hair in frustration. “Don’t tell me it has taken a liking to children!”

“W-Well,” the lab technician shrinks back in fear, eyes cast down at the ground. “It is as we’ve…checked, sir. A few Cubone bones, but mostly that of…well…children’s.”

“Oh Arceus, this is sounding like some kind of horror story,” Baekhyun sighs. “Children. I wonder if Kyungsoo’s gonna get Exiled.”

“Oh, he’s surely going to get it,” Junmyeon huffs. “Not from me but from Irene.”

“But still…Soo…he’s not usually this irresponsible,” Baekhyun pinches the bridge of his nose. “It’s only recently…and there’s not been a single missing persons report, though. At least, not near Faultmount City.”

Junmyeon dismisses the lab technician and pauses to consider it, Jellicent floating behind him. Baekhyun has made a good point. They’d looked through the League’s records and found that there indeed weren’t any reports of missing people in Faultmount recently, let alone children…

“Oh ,” Baekhyun then starts running, a shocked Ribombee fluttering after him.

“What? Hey! Baekhyun!” Uncharacteristically of Junmyeon, he breaks out into a sprint as well, almost crashing into the wall as he turns a sharp corner, Jelicent right on his tail. They make it out of the League’s laboratory, which happens to be right behind the League’s main building. Baekhyun tosses his Pokeball and out comes Togekiss, ready for flight.

“Hop on. Come on, we have to go check it out,” Baekhyun hisses, and Junmyeon clambers on. Togekiss doesn’t even wait for him to throw his legs over its body before it takes off. Junmyeon barely manages to return Jellicent to its ball when Togekiss is already high in the air, soaring off in the direction of the tiny town between Faultmount and Heatstorm City.

Baekhyun catches sight of the demonic forest, especially the fog that constantly surrounds it, making passing through it virtually impossible unless you are familiar with the layout of the forest tracks, or if your Pokemon knows Defog. Togekiss lands at the entrance of Quakemore Town. The fog curls around the buildings in wisps, looking just like white hands.

“Why did you—” Junmyeon feels a chill running down his spine. It’s like the temperature has just dropped by five degrees.

“Remember that report of the missing children?” Baekhyun says. His breath comes out in puffs of white. He’s trembling a little as well. Clearly they’re both not dressed for this weather.

“Yeah…oh!” Junmyeon stares wide-eyed at Baekhyun. “Do you think…?”

“I do,” Baekhyun says solemnly. “We gotta go in. No time to tell Soo.”

A rustling from the shrubbery has Baekhyun jumping a little, nearly crashing back into Junmyeon if not for Togekiss’s wing steadying him. The rustling gets louder and Ribombee prepares to fight, antenna twitching.

A Rapidash bursts from the undergrowth, carrying someone on its back. The fire on its mane is tame and it has bruise marks all over its body. The figure it’s carrying isn’t any better. His cloak is shredded, and barely breathing as Rapidash crashes to the ground on its side, its rider falling off its back.

“Arceus…” Baekhyun bends down. Rapidash has its eyes closed, but still breathing. He recognizes this Rapidash. He’d played with it when it was still a wee Ponyta. He grabs an empty Pokeball by Chanyeol’s belt and returns Ponyta to its Pokeball.

“Chanyeol! Hey!” Baekhyun grabs one of Chanyeol’s long limbs and manages to pull him into a sitting position. Chanyeol’s cloak is nearly completely shredded. Bruises, cuts and gashes litter his body.

“Get him to a hospital, Junmyeon, I’m heading in there!” Something’s wrong. Very wrong. First, the missing children, now this? Without listening to Junmyeon’s protests, Baekhyun returns Togekiss into its ball and charges into the forest with Ribombee right behind him. Junmyeon digs for his Pokephone and almost finishes dialling the number when Chanyeol stirs.

“J-Junmyeon?” His voice is breathy, scratchy. “Arceus…what…?”

“What happened? Chanyeol?” Junmyeon fumbles with his phone in surprise as Chanyeol hacks out a cough.

“ man,” Chanyeol winces in pain as he grabs at his stomach. “Something…something’s in there…Kyungsoo…those kids…”

“Kyungsoo…those kids…what about them?” Junmyeon presses the green call icon and places the phone to his ear, hearing the dial tone that has never felt emptier.  Chanyeol’s eyes widen with fear as he relives his memories of the encounter. He croaks out in a raspy voice,

“A…Pokemon…oh Arceus, they were ing ghosts.”

*

“Is he going to be okay?”

“Probably,” Himchan says, and Daehyun tenses up beside him. “I mean, most likely. Jonguppie’s stronger than all of us combined.”

Still, Daehyun has to swallow his guilt up whenever he sees Jongup in this state. If Daehyun hadn’t been there, Hoseok wouldn’t have anything to threaten Jongup with.

Daehyun hates to admit it, but he’s a liability. He’s not strong. He doesn’t know how to react in most dangerous situations…and his non-existent courage is a big problem.

Youngjae’s brave, quick-witted, and can get himself out of a lot of situations. Jongup is strong since he spends all his time training his Pokemon and himself, sharpening his already strategical mind. Junhong is a moodmaker and he is…just strong. You can see it in the way he battles. Yongguk is calm and doesn’t panic easily. He’s also someone who’s well-read and hence knowledgeable. Himchan is their resident healer, with Floette, Kirlia and Brionne.

Where does Daehyun fit in all of this?

He’s frightened easily. He isn’t strong. He panicks in most uncomfortable situations, and it’s not like he has a Pokemon who can heal…

“Hey, Daehyun, wanna step out for a bit?”

He looks up to find Himchan with a worried expression, Floette floating behind him. “Don’t worry. With a bit of rest, Jongup will be just fine.”

Daehyun rises from his seat by the bed, and stands up, followed closely by Cottonee and Bagon. Plusle has decided to stay behind with Minun.

He glances once more at Jongup, surrounded by his Pokemon and Plusle, before leaving the room.

*

“You wanna take a tour of the desert?” Youngjae asks, grinning as he points to a bus stop stationed at the edge of the city. There are a few people there, mostly women, dressed lightly and accompanied by their Pokemon.

They are, at the moment, a group of five, and Youngjae has been tasked with cheering Daehyun up, because the latter looks like someone’s taken his cheesecake, thrown it on the ground and stomped all over it. Even his Pokemon are trying their best to cheer him up.

“That sounds like an excellent idea, actually,” Yongguk says. “Faultmount Desert is vast, and some say that there are some ruins in the deepest corners of the desert and the deity Tapu Bulu used to reside there.”

Deity Pokemon, huh?

Daehyun seems to perk up at that, and that’s settled. The group waits for the bus along with the other tourists. Not long after, the Sand Bus arrives and they board it. The bus makes a u-turn and heads back into the desert once more.

Youngjae sits with Daehyun, letting the latter have the window seat, and he points out the different Pokemon living in the desert, commenting about how they’d be able to fill the Pokedex up faster this way. There are hordes of Trapinch and Vibrava hanging out together, a pack of Darmanitan and Darumaka, and even lone Maractus posing as cacti to lure potential prey. Sigilyph make their rounds in the skies.

The bus halts at an oasis, a large pool of water surrounded by plants. A stone walkway leads further down through the desert. The sandstorm is real out here and thankfully the bus has a supply of Go-Goggles for those who didn’t bring any eye protection as well as scarves to use as masks.

“Down that path lies the Ruins of Abundance,” the bus driver says, pointing to the walkway flanked by cacti. “Deity’s not there anymore. Migrated elsewhere, but you can still check it out.”

The other tourists are utterly fascinated with the vastness of the desert as sand whips around everywhere. Most of their Pokemon are kept in their Pokeballs as some hurriedly make their way to the walkway where it appears to be slightly sheltered.

“Let’s go,” Youngjae grabs Daehyun’s arm and he nearly trips over Cubone who’s having the time of its life. Youngjae leads the rest of the group in a beeline towards the Ruins of Abundance, because that’s really the only attraction out here.

They follow the walkway, past two large slabs of rock, shielding them a little from the raging sandstorm that doesn’t even seem to cease. Ahead of them, the path splits into two, a weathered signpost stating that the left path leads to the Ruins of Abundance while the one on the right leads to Faultmount’s famous peculiar rock formation. Huh, Youngjae doesn’t remember ever hearing about that one.

They decide to make for the Ruins first while sidestepping a Skorupi wandering about, poisonous stings out. The walkway disappears into the sand dunes as they follow it, a few other tourists walking in front of them. The lady in heels seems to be having a hard time, her Bronzor often acting as her walking stick.

The sandstorm begins to subside a little the nearer they get to the Ruins. The Ruins appear to be down a slope, surrounded by large cliffs, the nest of Skarmory and Sigilyph dotting the cliffs, in indents in the rock face, protecting their eggs from the sandstorm.

“Whoa.” The first thing that Youngjae notices is the colourful crystals growing on the face of the entrance to the cavern that is the Ruins of Abundance. There are golden statues of what he assumes to be Tapu Bulu at the sides of the entrance, looking just like guardsmen. Tapu Bulu msut be really revered.

The entrance to the cavern is sealed up, a signpost saying “No Entry” strung across the rock by chains held in place by what seems to be a strong silk. Seems that they’re not allowed to enter.

“So this is the famed Ruins of Abundance,” Himchan says, hands on his waist, arms akimbo, as he gives it a once-over. “It’s less impressive than I thought it’d be.”

“What did you expect? Not everyone likes glitters and sparkles like you do,” Yongguk says, reprimanding him a little. Junhong is marvelling at the crystals, even reaching out to touch one, brushing the sand away, revealing a mysterious glow of the crystals. When Youngjae looks at it, he is reminded of Souldrop Mines and those crystals there.

“Hey guys, look at this!”

Junhong is excited like a little child as he stands over a bell, covered in sand, with a rope (equally sandy) dangling from it. A sign chipped so bad that the writing is almost gone is stuck onto the rock wall behind the bell.

“Ring for good luck,” Junhong scrutinizes it, or at least, it looks like what he’s doing. “Should we try ringing it?”

“Sure. I mean, no harm, right?” Daehyun says, glancing back at Yongguk, who nods, giving his approval.

Cubone stumbles over to Junhong and raises its tiny arms, wanting to be picked up. Junhong does so, and holds Cubone over to the rope, the Pokemon taking the rope into its small hands and shaking it with all its might.

The bell’s sound rings out, a nice melodic sound that reverberates through the narrow pathway. Junhong sets the Cubone down on the ground once more.

“It says here that the bell’s sound actually tells you what kind of person you are,” Yongguk says, reading from a board on the wall, beside the “Ring for good luck” sign, as they step away from the bell and make way for other tourists to ring it and try. “Like, it measures your sins. The more your sins, the darker the sound.”

“Huh,” Junhong says. He doesn’t sound at all intrigued. “Sounds like some kind of myth. I mean, how does it do that?”

“Dunno, but the world’s weird,” Daehyun says.

With nothing else to see and do at the Ruins of Abundance, they make their way towards the other attraction, the weird rock formation that just doesn’t get as much attention as the Ruins. Junhong is certainly having a lot of fun as he runs ahead, looking just like a child even with his height, Daehyun running after him, previous worries looking completely forgotten.

They eventually reach the rock formation after a long walk. There are six seemingly-unsteady rock pillars surrounding a larger slab of rock. There are only one or two tourists here, inspecting the rock pillars that are all the way out here in the middle of nowhere. Still, the shapes of the pillars are pretty…unique? No wonder this doesn’t get as much attention as the Ruins.

After making one whole round trip taking a look at each of the different pillars, they decide to head back to Faultmount to see whether Jongup’s woken up. Not to mention that most of them are wearing sweat-soaked shirts and jackets now. Even Himchan has taken off his coat. Yes, the bright orange one.

“Heeeeeelp!”

 At the cry for help, Youngjae finds himself turning towards the source. Coming from not so far away, he sees a young woman grabbing her hand of a younger boy as they run through the sandy desert, a Sandile by their sides.

“W-What’s wrong?” Youngjae asks as the girl nearly collapses in front of him, the boy grabbing his knees and panting hard through his covered mouth.

“Glypho is trapped! And it’s scared!” the girl wheezes. “Please help…!”

What is Glypho? Youngjae doesn’t ask, because whatever it is, it’s in trouble and Youngjae isn’t the type of person who just stands by and watches. With a determined voice (and without asking the rest of the group for their opinion, he declares,

“Take me to it!”

*

Howlbreak Forest is eerily quiet. Baekhyun can’t help but feel that he’s being watched. Once or twice, he catches the glimpse of a tiny black form darting past the various tendrils of fog and shrubbery. The trees aren’t dead, like those horror movies. Instead, they appear to be full of life, but at the same time, trap fog between their leaves.

Baekhyun jumps as a Scatterbug falls from the tree, landing on the ground, then scuttling away. Baekhyun’s feet crunch the carpet of leaves on the damp ground as he makes his way further into the forest.

Come closer

Baekhyun shudders and turns around, finding nothing but a fog-covered path behind him. “Who’s there?” His voice comes out shakier than he’d liked. Whatever’s in here, it’s gotten to Chanyeol, but Baekhyun would like to think he can take it.

Emerging from the fog is a white figure. Baekhyun’s heart seizes in his chest. Oh Arceus, what the —

The girl’s hair covers her face, her arms limp at her sides.

, she’s floating.

Terror claws at Baekhyun as he lets out a blood-curling scream. Taking it as a cue to attack, Ribombee snaps its antenna, sending a Dazzling Gleam attack at the girl, but the sparks of light passes through her. Yet, the attack is not in vain. The ghostly form of the girl dissipates into the fog.

Was that an illusion? Baekhyun shakes his head, trembling at what he just saw. Then, that’s when he realizes it’s all too silent. There’s not even the call of Bug Pokemon that live in the forest. Not a single sound. And he realizes, at the same time, that he’s alone. Baekhyun decides that maybe, just maybe, it’s time to go back. He turns around and tries to follow the path.

“Okay, we got to get someone who’s not scared of ghosts to come here…oh Arceus, this is a bad idea,” Baekhyun babbles to himself. “I should get Jongdae, most fearless man on the planet I swear…I wonder why he didn’t specialize in Ghost-types. Would have made a ing great Ghost-type Leader. Oh my Arceus, I’m gonna die from all this…”

Then, he notices something. The first sound in the deafening silence. The crashing of rushing water. A stream!

Just ahead of him is a tiny bridge, allowing passage across the wide river. As with the rest of the forest, the fog permeates the river water as well.

Now, this is a problem, and Baekhyun has never felt so scared in his life.

That’s because he didn’t actually find a river on his way here, means that somehow, he’s either takne a wrong turn or that his mind is being ed with. Plus, who knows what lives in this forest at the edge of the desert?

“Oh I’m really gonna die,” Baekhyun swallows saliva, trying to keep himself calm. Ribombee doesn’t seem too eager to explore either, preferring to stick close to Baekhyun. The Pokemon is of a stronger heart than Baekhyun is, and more likely to survive if left alone…

Deciding to just let fate run its course, Baekhyun decides to follow the stream.

The stream leads him down to what looks to be an old, abandoned, creaky house, very much off the beaten track. Its walls have long lost whatever paint job it had, and the window’s glass has long been broken off, leaving the grilles in place. The main door is barely hanging on its bottom hinge, swinging slightly in the wind. Fog curls around the place, making it hard to see whatever’s in the house, if there is anything inside at all.

Come play with us

There it is. The childlike voice again. Baekhyun’s heart jumps as the shadowy figure of a boy appears this time, and runs into the house, passing through the creaky door. Baekhyun blinks and rubs his eyes. What the ?

He wants to get the out of here. He just wants to run back to Junmyeon and call someone braver to deal with this because if there’s one thing Baekhyun isn’t doing it’s to die all alone in a haunted house, scared to death.

But he squares his shoulders, takes a deep, shuddering breath, and begins to make his way towards the house.

*********************************

Pokedex entries gathered:

Tornadus

Incarnate Forme

Thundurus

Incarnate Forme

Landorus

Incarnate Forme

Aerodactyl

Aerodactyl

Shieldon

Shieldon

Combusken

Combusken

Cameo appearances:

Pawniard (Seokjin's Pokemon)

Pawniard

Ferroseed (Seokjin's Pokemon)

Ferroseed

Croagunk (Jeongguk's Pokemon)

Croagunk

Gurdurr (Jeongguk's Pokemon)

Gurdurr

Machoke (Jeongguk's Pokemon)

Machoke

Rapidash (Chanyeol's Pokemon)

Rapidash

Vibrava (wild Pokemon in Faultmount Desert)

Vibrava

Darmanitan (wild Pokemon in Faultmount Desert)

Standard Mode

Darumaka (wild Pokemon in Faultmount Desert)

Darumaka

Maractus (wild Pokemon in Faultmount Desert)

Maractus

Sigilyph (wild Pokemon in Faultmount Desert)

Sigilyph

Skarmory (wild Pokemon in Faultmount Desert)

Skarmory

Sandile (the two children's Pokemon)

Sandile

Weedle (Pokemon that Baekhyun encountered in Howlbreak Forest)

Weedle

******************************

Daehyun's Pokemon:

-Cottonee. Level 26. Type: Grass/Fairy. Moves learned: Giga Drain, Growth, Poison Powder, Leech Seed.
-Monferno. Level 26. Type: Fire/Fighting. Moves learned: Mach Punch, Flame Wheel, Taunt, Fury Swipes.
-Bagon. Level 25. Type: Dragon. Moves learned: Crunch, Dragonbreath, Focus Energy, Headbutt
-Plusle. Level 20. Type: Electric. Moves learned: Encore, Bestow, Spark, Helping Hand

Youngjae's Pokemon:

-Petilil. Level 26. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Growth, Magical Leaf, Stun Spore, Giga Drain.
-Lopunny. Level 25. Type: Normal. Moves learned: Jump Kick, Baby-Doll Eyes, Return, Endure.
-Braixen. Level 25. Type: Fire. Moves learned: Psybeam, Tail Whip, Flame Charge, Fire Spin.
-Cubone. Level 19. Type: Ground. Moves learned: Focus Energy, Leer, Bone Club, Headbutt.

Jongup's Pokemon:

-Helioptile. Level 31. Type: Normal/Electric. Moves learned: Charge, Parabolic Charge, Quick Attack, Thunder Wave.
-Lucario. Level 32. Type: Fighting/Steel. Moves learned: Feint, Aura Sphere, Swords Dance, Bone Rush.
-Araquanid. Level 29. Type: Water/Bug. Moves learned: Bite, Bug Bite, Bubblebeam, Aqua Ring.
-Servine. Level 28. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Mega Drain, Growth, Leaf Tornado, Slam.
-Minun. Level 25. Type: Electric: Moves learned: Encore, Copycat, Electro Ball, Fake Tears.

Junhong's Pokemon:

-Clefairy. Level 25. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Wake-Up Slap, Sweet Kiss, Minimize, Magical Leaf
-Weepinbell. Level 26. Type: Grass/Poison. Moves learned: Vine Whip, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, Acid.
-Meditite. Level 28. Type: Fighting/Psychic. Moves learned: Hi Jump Kick, Confusion, Calm Mind, Force Palm
-Croconaw. Level 21. Type: Water. Moves learned: Ice Fang, Scary Face, Water Gun, Bite.

Yongguk's Pokemon:

-Rufflet. Level 27. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Hone Claws, Scary Face, Fury Attack, Aerial Ace
-Houndour. Level 29. Type: Fire/Dark. Moves learned: Beat Up, Ember, Howl, Bite
-Ariados. Level 28. Type: Bug/Poison. Moves learned: Infestation, er Punch, Scary Face, Fury Swipes
-Grovyle. Level 25. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Fury Cutter, Leaf Blade, Leer, Pursuit.

Himchan's Pokemon:

-Floette. Level 24. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Fairy Wind, Razor Leaf, Lucky Chant, Healing Wish.
-Kirlia. Level 25. Type: Fairy/Psychic. Moves learned: Disarming Voice, Heal Pulse, Confusion, Magical Leaf
-Brionne. Level 24. Type: Water. Moves learned: Icy Wind, Baby-Doll Eyes, Disarming Voice, Aqua Jet
-Poochyena. Level 21. Type: Dark. Moves learned: Bite, Roar, Howl, Odor Sleuth
-Spearow. Level 15. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Aerial Ace, Fury Attack, Pursuit, Leer.