Challengers, Welcome!

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

hihi pw is burning me out so bad im like dying every single day and submission of written report is next week omg

i apologize in advance for putting our ot6 through dangerous and traumatic every chapter

**********************************

Daehyun and Youngjae do get discharged at around 8am, when the hospital stirs to life. They leave with a warning about not exerting themselves too hard and they’re good to go.

“The match isn’t until about ten. Wanna go train?” Youngjae suggests. Daehyun nods. They haven’t trained in quite a while. Their Pokemon must be falling behind. “Man, it’ll be so embarrassing if I count on Yongguk to do everything.”

The grassy plains that are Route 4 on a winding road into some dark forest is perfect for training. There are plenty of wild Pokemon for them to train against. They just have to avoid Feral Pokemon and they’ll be fine.

They are barely a few minutes into fighting wild Sandshrew and Yanma when they hear a scream from behind them. Youngjae pushes Daehyun aside, narrowly avoiding getting trampled over by a Ponyta, a Trainer on its back. The Ponyta seems to be on a rampage, neighing and bucking and trying to throw its Trainer off it.

“, we gotta help him!” Youngjae sends out Fennekin. “Flame Charge!”

Coating its body in fire, Fennekin slams its body into Ponyta, and darts back to Youngjae’s side. Ponyta doesn’t look hurt, though, but this time, it sees Youngjae and Daehyun, and decide that it’s fun to fire a fireball in their direction.

“Get down!” Daehyun grabs Youngjae’s collar and drags him to the ground, the fireball sailing over their heads and crashes into tree trunks. Daehyun slips his Pokedex from his belt and flips it open.

Ponyta. Level 15. Type: Fire. Moves learned: Flame Wheel, Ember, Tail Whip, Tackle. Ability: Flash Fire (ability to absorb flames and increase Special Attack). As a newborn, it can barely stand. However, through galloping, its legs are made tougher and faster.

No wonder Flame Charge did nothing. It has Flash Fire! In any case…

“Alright then, Buneary! Quick Attack!” Buneary pounces towards the Ponyta, slamming its entire body into the Pokemon. Ponyta lets loose another Ember attack, the fireball burning off some of Buneary’s cotton-like fur.

“Chimchar!”

Daehyun’s Chimchar dashes forward, dragging its claws across the Ponyta’s flank, leaving a large gash. Ponyta rears and  the Trainer, too tired from holding on, is thrown off his back, screaming his lungs out.

“Cottonee!”

Before he hits the ground, Cottonee has puffed out its body and acted as a soft mattress for the man as he lands hard on its soft cotton.

“Are you okay?” Daehyun runs over to the man as their other Pokemon continue fighting.

Then, there is a bright flash of light engulfing both Fennekin and Chimchar. Daehyun and Youngjae look away, eyes squeezed shut, until the light dies down and reveals two completely different Pokemon.

Monferno. Level 17. Type: Fire/Fighting. Moves learned: Fury Swipes, Mach Punch, Ember, Taunt. Ability: Blaze. It skillfully controls the intensity of the fire on its tail to keep its foes at an ideal distance.

Braixen. Level 17. Type: Fire. Moves learned: Psybeam, Tail Whip, Howl, Flame Charge. Ability: Blaze. When the twig is plucked from its tail, friction sets the twig alight. The flame is used to send signals to its allies.

Monferno’s Mach Punch hits before Ponyta can execute any attack, knocking the Pokemon down on its side. It lands with a loud thud, and Ponyta neighs angrily as it attempts to get up again, but is kept down with Braixen’s Psybeam attack.

“Ponyta!” the boy who was on the Ponyta’s back rushes forward, hugging its neck as Ponyta lies defeated on the ground. After returning Ponyta to its Pokeball, the Trainer bows and apologizes as well as thanking them profusely. It’s only now that Daehyun realizes the boy is dressed all in blue, luminous strips on his shoulders and a baton slotted into his belt.

He’s a police officer.

“The both of you were involved in yesterday’s arson case, right?” At the looks on their faces, the boy quickly amends. “I-I mean, you were victims, right? Not accusing or anything…”

“Well, yeah,” Youngjae nods.

“Gym Leader Sehun and the chief of police has requested your presence…Yoo Youngjae and Jung Daehyun,” the police officer says, and he salutes. “Please follow me.”

With little choice, the two follow the officer back into Stratuseon, their Pokemon closely behind.

*

“Please, do come in,” the chief of police of Stratuseon gives them a warm smile as they enter the station. The officers are surprisingly lax, though there is an air of tension in the room.

“Ah, Officer Jeon, I take it these are the two key witnesses?” The one who addresses the officer is dressed in a black uniform decorated with a good number of gold medals showcasing his achievements, his Exeggutor standing behind him.  

“Yes,” Officer Jeon nods. Key witnesses? Youngjae and Daehyun exchange glances.

“Come on over,” the chief says, beckoning to the two. “I don’t bite.”

Deeming him to be of no harm, Youngjae steps forward and Daehyun follows. They are led into an interrogation room, and are invited to sit down at the chairs. At this point, Daehyun thinks, as he pets Bagon’s head as Bagon is settled on his thighs, he feels almost like a criminal.

“Don’t worry, we’re not arresting you,” the chief says. “My name is Kang Dongho, chief of Stratuseon Police Force.” He sits down at the table facing the two, Exeggutor standing guard behind him. “We just want to know what you know about yesterday night, when the terrorist attack occurred. Please, do tell us anything you know.”

Daehyun bites his lip. He was out for most of the event. If anyone knew anything, it would be Youngjae.

“They were Kricketune,” Youngjae says, eyes rolling up to stare at the ceiling as he attempts to recall the incident. “They were Kricketune that were manipulating the Pokemon.”

*

“Electrode! Explosion!”

Youngae had prepared himself for the worst, that he’d be blown to smithereens, and his heart drops in his chest as he realizes he’s come to the end of his journey.

However, the explosion doesn’t come, and Youngjae carefully peeks open an eye, expecting to find himself in heaven or something, facing their Creator, when he sees the Electrode still there, looking as shocked as he feels.

“W-What?!” the President shrieks. “What happened?!”

The Siren Primarina is standing behind a Pokemon, her hand on her hip.

Poliwrath. Level 49. Type: Water/Fighting. Moves learned: Mind Reader, Ice Punch, Dynamic Punch, Dual Chop. Ability: Damp (prevents explosions). Its percentage of body fat is nearly zero. Its body is entirely muscle, which makes it heavy and forces its swimming prowess to develop.

Ah, so it has the Ability Damp…

“Seriously, you think I won’t have a Pokemon that diffuses bombs?” the Siren Primarina grins. “With all these bomb threats going around, I have to be prepared.”

“Argh!” the President is less than happy. “Kricketune!”

A horde of Kricketune bursts from where the orchestra should be sitting, and they hop in front of the President, ready to defend him.

Kricketune. Level 32-34. Type: Bug/Flying. Ability: Swarm (boosts Bug-type moves in a pinch). It signals its emotions with its melodies. Scientists are studying these melodic patterns.

“Hey, pretty boys, might want to stand back a bit,” the Siren Primarina says, and Junhong and Youngjae oblige, edging back to where Daehyun’s lying on the ground.

“Kricketune, Fury Cutter!”

The horde of Kricketune act on his command, knife-like arms stretched out, ready to do some serious damage.

“Magmortar!” the Siren Primarina orders, and the fire Pokemon darts in front, stretching out its arms towards the Kricketune. “Lava Plume!”

Balls of fire is spit out from the ends of the Magmortar’s arms, each ball of flames dealing massive damage to the Bug Pokemon. The Kricketune fall easily to the attack.

“Comfey, Wrap!”

The President doesn’t know what hit him as Comfey traps him in its flower-wreath-like body, effectively preventing him from moving.

“There we go,” the Siren Primarina says. She turns back to the boys. “The Kricketune was controlling the Pokemon through their music, it appears. Hey, when the police get here, tell them about that guy, alright? I’m leaving.”

“W-Wait, why can’t you—”

Before Youngjae can stop her, she runs towards the backstage and out by the door.

“What?” Youngjae blinks, then exchanges glances with Junhong, who looks on with disbelief. There is a moment of silence when Youngjae realizes that Junhong’s fingers are still firm around his arm…and he’s right behind Youngjae (aka Junhong’s chest is nearly touching his back…)

“Uh…do you mind letting go now?” Youngjae tries to ask the question as innocently as possible, and jumps when Junhong lets out a small squeak and hops away, almost as if he’s been burned. While Youngjae breathes an inaudible sigh of relief, he figures that he kind of liked that warmth.

In any case, they have to get out of here and call the police, if someone hasn’t done so already. Junhong offers to carry Daehyun, and keeps his Pokemon back in their Pokeballs, as well as their own, leaving out only Cleffa, Petilil and Cottonee in case there are anymore threats.

Youngjae hears noises the moment he makes it to the top of the stairs, past the CAT 3 seats. He throws open the door, only to black out the moment something shocks his whole body.

*

“And that’s the end of it?” Dongho asks.

“Yeah,” Youngjae nods. “Daehyun was knocked out the whole time so he wouldn’t know anything.” Daehyun nods in agreement.

“I see,” Dongho says. “Thank you for your help.”

“I have a question,” Daehyun says, raising his hand, feeling a little childish.

“Shoot.”

“That old guy. Is he in…jail, or something?” Daehyun asks.

Dongho stills, then says slowly, “It’s…confidential information, I’m afraid, but we believe he is working for a much larger organization.”

“Ah, I see,” Daehyun nods. They thank him, and stand up to leave.

*

“Here’s breakfast.”

After the questioning, they had gone back out to train and now, Daehyun thinks that they’d at least stand a chance against the Gym Leader. Now, they’re standing in front of the Gym, fifteen miuntes before their first scheduled match, which is Daehyun and Jongup.

Daehyun eats with Youngjae, both leaning against the Gym building, berry paste buns in their hands. Himchan has in hand a cup of Tapu Bean Blend, a sort of coffee he always has when he comes to Stratuseon. Jongup, Junhong and Yongguk aren’t eating, apparently having eaten already.

Daehyun is, needless to stay, wracked with nerves. It’s his first time battling someone that isn’t wild Pokemon that also isn’t threatening to kill him. Plus, Gym Leaders are powerful. He isn’t sure that he can beat this guy even with Jongup’s help. But that being said, Jongup is powerful too.

When ten o’clock rolls around, the Gym doors open and a bespectacled man wearing a white dress shirt with a tie and black dress pants call out the names of the first challengers. Gulping, Daehyun walks forward with an expressionless Jongup.

“Do submit all Pokemon for checking before the challenge. Thank you,” the man says, holding out a light-blue drawstring bag. Glancing warily at Jongup, who returns his Pokemon to their balls and places them into the bag. Daehyun does the same as well. If Jongup feels that this man isn’t a threat, then he probably isn’t. Daehyun trusts his judgment at least that much.

They are led into the Gym, where the man places their Pokeballs in a machine on the side, then Daehyun watches as each Pokemon is scanned. The process takes less than a minute, and they get their Pokemon back in no time.

“This Gym challenge requires the both of you to make it to the very end of the Gym, to where the Gym leader is, to battle him. Each side may only use up to four Pokemon,” the guide explains. Daehyun looks at the scene before him. All he sees is a maze of clouds. “Along the way, you may run into some Trainers. The Gym Leader isn’t the only Trainer here, you know!” He pats Daehyun on the back. “Good luck with your challenge!”

The guide disappears behind the door, and Daehyun breathes nervously.

“Let’s go,” Jongup says, taking a brave step towards the maze.

*

“Whew,” Daehyun swipes the back of his hand across his forehead. The maze certainly had been tough. Dead ends are everywhere, and the cloud walls are taller than their heads, so it’s impossible to peak over them. There are plenty of virtual Trainers who fight them in double battles. A pair of twins with a Woobat and a Murkrow. Two backpackers who fight with an Emolga and a Fletchling. They had managed to beat those Trainers down easily.

They reached the end of the Gym after twenty minutes, which Daehyun finds actually impressive.

“Oh, it’s you two.” Sehun is sitting at a throne of sorts, typing away at a desk in front of him. So, it appears that Gym Leaders aren’t exempt from paperwork even while on duty. He stands up, yet Noivern that is resting behind him doesn’t follow. “I didn’t expect it to you the both of you, honestly.” He walks down onto the battlefield, a rather sandy group big enough to house a rough Pokemon battle.

He sends two Pokemon out onto the field. One is a Pidgeotto and the other, a Skiploom. The Pokedex by Daehyun’s belt buzzes and he flips it open. Jongup does the same for his.

Pidgeotto. Level 18. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Quick Attack, Sand-Attack, Aerial Ace, Whirlwind. Ability: Keen Eye (prevents accuracy loss). Very protective of its sprawling territorial area, this Pokémon will fiercely peck at any intruder.  

Skiploom. Level 18. Type: Grass/Flying. Moves learned: Fairy Wind, Aerial Ace, Poison Powder, Synthesis. Ability: Leaf Guard (prevents status problems in sunny weather). It blooms when the weather warms. It floats in the sky to soak up as much sunlight as possible.

He sees Sehun’s expression morph from surprise to indifference, and Daehyun sends out Bagon while Jongup sends out Helioptile.

Before Sehun and Daehyun can say anything, Jongup already has commanded Helioptile to use a Shock Wave, hitting Pidgeotto and taking it out immediately. Daehyun shouts out a command to Bagon as well, Bagon hitting Skiploom with a super-effective Ember attack.

Sehun returns Pidgeotto to its Pokeball and sends out his next Pokemon, Pidove.

Pidove. Level 18. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Quick Attack, Growl, Roost, Aerial Ace. Ability: Big Pecks (prevents defense loss). This very forgetful Pokémon will wait for a new order from its Trainer even though it already has one.

Skiploom retaliates with a Poisonpowder attack on Helioptile, its yellowish skin turning purple.

“Aerial Ace!”

Pidove slashes down on Bagon with an Aerial Ace attack with its talons, leaving a large scratch mark across Bagon’s side.

“Charge!”

Helioptile growls and takes in electricity from the surrounding air, sparks crackling from its body as Helioptile glows yellow.

“Skiploom, Fairy Wind!”

By Sehun’s command, wind laced with a sparkly substance blows across the battlefield, hitting Bagon for super-effective damage and Helioptile with normal damage. Daehyun returns the exhausted and injured Bagon to its Pokeball, sending out Monferno, well aware he’s down to his second Pokemon. And Monferno does not have a good type matchup against Flying-types. On second thought, he should have used Cottonee, considering that he can get passive healing from Leech Seed.

“Ember!”

The fire on Monferno’s tail blazes brightly and it sends a ball of flames towards the Skiploom. With Helioptile’s Quick Attack, Skiploom falls to the ground, defeated. Sehun replaces Skiploom with Noibat.

Noibat. Level 22. Type: Flying/Dragon. Moves learned: Absorb, Aerial Ace, Agility, Bite. Ability: Frisk (able to tell what item the foe has). They live in pitch black caves. Their enormous ears can emit ultrasonic waves of 200,000 hertz.

A Dragon-type?!

“You deal with the Pidove. I’ll take the Noibat,” Daehyun hears Jongup whispering into his ear, sending tiny shivers up his spine. It all happens in a split second when Jongup returns Helioptile to its ball and sends out Servine.

“M-Monferno! Mach Punch!”

Monferno darts past Pidove’s Quick Attack and launches a fist at the Pokemon. Pidove reels from the impact, tiny body crashing to the ground. Monferno quickly follows up with an Ember attack.

“Roos—”

“Taunt!”

Pidove’s Roost move is effectively cancelled. He can hear Sehun give a grunt of frustration. “Aerial Ace!”

Pidove raises its talons to block Monferno’s attack, slashing at it and drawing blood. Monferno shrieks and draws its fist back.

“Servine, Leaf Tornado!”

Servine conjures up leaves from its body, the leaves swirling around in a tornado-like fashion, directing it towards Noibat. Daehyun gapes at the move. Why is Jongup doing that? Grass doesn’t do much damage against neither Dragon- nor Flying-types.

The leaves are blown towards Noibat, swallowing the Pokemon in a whirlwind of leaves. When it dies down, the leaves are covering Noibat’s ears, and Daehyun sees the plan. Noibat begins moving erratically, slamming into the floor, the walls, unable to control its movements.

Monferno looses a Fury Swipes attack on Pidove, knocking it out. When it turns to face Noibat, the Pokemon’s uncontrolled flying causes it to hit Monferno, hard, and it screeches, using a Bite attack on the monkey, who retaliates with a fireball to its belly.

“It’s all yours, Daehyun.”

“Aerial Ace!”

“Fury Swipes!”

Noibat, screeching, stretches out its claws and dives at Monferno. Monferno readies its claws as well, diving for the Noibat.

Both Pokemon break apart from the contact.

Noibat crashes to the ground.

Daehyun stares at the scene, dumbfounded. Servine smiles proudly and Monferno tackles Daehyun, hugging him fiercely and cheering loudly.

“Well, that was great battle,” Sehun says, scratching his head. “But hey, you’re Pokedex owners, right? Shouldn’t expect less from you.” He confers upon the two of them shining white badges with a design of stylized clouds. “This is the Gale Badge. With this badge, Pokemon of level 30 and below will obey you and you can use Cut outside of battle. Also, I want you to have this.”

He hands both Daehyun and Jongup a disc with a turquoise hue. “This is TM40, containing Aerial Ace. It’s a Flying-type move that never misses.”

“Thanks,” Daehyun nods. Jongup thanks Sehun with a quiet voice and a bow as Servine comes to his side.

“Now shoo, I’ve got to entertain two more Double battles…” he narrows his eyes. “And that would be the rest of your gang?”

“Yup,” Daehyun grins. “Good luck!”

Sehun pinches the bridge of his noise, “I’ll need it.”

*

“Hey, Jongup.”

Jongup glances over at Daehyun. Youngjae and Yongguk are taking their challenge now, so the two have decided to go on their own to continue to explore the other streets in Stratuseon that contains most of the restaurants, and there is even an underground arcade.

Jongup isn’t as bad as Daehyun had thought he’d be. Well, the guy lets him talk without butting in (much unlike a certain someone whose name starts with “Y” and ends with “oungjae”).

“What did he mean when he said that we can use Cut outside of battle?”

Jongup pauses to look through the windows of an arcade, before resuming the walk past a souvenir store. The street is nearly silent—Stratuseon is more of a night city, and is sleepy by day. “Cut is a Hidden Machine move.”

“Hidden Machine?”

“Moves that are not easily forgotten by Pokemon,” Jongup says. “Most of the moves that your Pokemon learn by levelling up can be forgotten easily to make way for new moves, right?”

“Uh-huh.”

Jongup turns into a blue building—a PokeMart. Daehyun follows in, the bell above the door jingling as they enter, prompting the young woman by the counter to look up for a split second before going back to reading her novel.

“HM moves must be taught—only select Pokemon learn them by levelling up. There are services specially to make Pokemon forget such moves. And such moves are more commonly used on the field. Cut, specifically, allows Pokemon to cut down small trees that are blocking the road.”

“Ah,” Daehyun nods. Jongup finds what he is looking for—a sack of Super Potions and some ten Pokeballs on discount. He pays for them, receiving a promotional white ball as well, and they exit.

“Most of such services can be found in Sparkridge,” Jongup says. “From what I heard.”

They walk by the ruined theatre from yesterday. The sight of it still gives Daehyun the shudders. The place is nearly empty, devoid of police, but Daehyun can still smell the charred debris, can still see dead people and Pokemon attacked by the old guy. He can feel the Bisharp’s cold blade slicing through skin…

“Daehyun, let’s go.”

Jongup has already walked a fair distance ahead, and snaps Daehyun out of his reverie. Daehyun shakes his head, and decides to push those memories to the back of his head.

By the time they’ve walked most streets, Youngjae and Yongguk have already emerged with their shiny new Gym badges and Himchan and Junhong are already inside.

Well, another half and hour and they should be able to proceed on to the next part of their journey.

*

“So, what was that thing?” Baekhyun asks, leaning against the closed door of Junmyeon’s office space, accompanied by his ever-faithful Ribombee. Junmyeon’s Jellicent floats in the corner, minding its own business as its Trainer busily types away on his desk.

“You should know,” Junmyeon says, glancing towards Baekhyun’s Pokedex by his waist.

“I mean, it only tells me that it’s potentially a legendary,” Baekhyun says. “Or mythical. Can’t really see the difference.”

“Mesprit, the Being of Emotion,” Junmyeon muses. “I went down to the archives to see whether we had anything on it. And it’s apparently part of an old folklore.”

“Old folklore?”

“Sinnoh folklore, to be exact,” Junmyeon says. “According to the records, Mesprit isn’t the only one of its kind. There’s Uxie, the Being of Knowledge and Azelf, the Being of Willpower.”

“And where are they located?”

“I have no idea,” Junmyeon says, then leans back against his chair to look up at Baekhyun, meeting his expectant gaze. “But, the book did say they are guardians of the lakes.”

“You mean…”

“Lake Valor, Lake Mystic and Lake Instinct,” Junmyeon nods. “Now we know that Mesprit resides in Lake Mystic. Does that mean Lake Valor and Lake Instinct would be home to Azelf and Uxie as well?”

“I checked the lakes, by the way,” Baekhyun says. “After that challenger. All the lakes had such caverns.”

“I..see,” Junmyeon nods. “Mesprit was asleep when you investigated, right?”

“Yeah, and there was this weird pattern on the ground made of water. Ain’t sure whether it means anything, though. Could be just random,” Baekhyun says.

“Speaking of random patterns…do you mind if you go down to Geocrater Ruins? Chanyeol said that there were sightings of some strange moving patterns.”

“He’s a spineless ,” Baekhyun says, puffing out his chest. “He’s scared, that’s what he is—”

“Remember who was talking their off at the haunted hou—”

“Don’t you dare go there.”

*

“Wasn’t that bad, was it?” Youngjae grins up at Himchan, who’s showing off his new shiny badge to Yongguk. Daehyun has his badge pinned on his bag, like Youngjae’s. Himchan chooses to display it proudly on his pocket, like a brooch, and Junhong pins it on his scarf. Only Jongup and Yongguk place it in actual, store-bought badge cases.

“No, actually it wasn’t,” Himchan nods. “It was quite fun.”

“You know, we can actually sign up for different battle styles,” Junhong points out. “We could try Single battle next time, but it’ll take forever if everyone took half an hour. It’d take a solid three hours!”

“Or we could try the Triple Battle or Rotation Battle,” Yongguk hums. “Three of us can go at the same time.”

Daehyun almost smiles. It sounds as if they’re going to be staying together for a while. He hears the roaring of a plane’s engine above his head, and watches as the giant hunk of metal comes to land safely on the runway of Gumtree Airport. It’s fascinating, he thinks, how much humankind has progressed with Pokemon by their side.

They didn’t have to pass through Gumtree to reach Route 5. They are greeted with a large lake, as well as a ferry terminal, an electric bulletin board flashing the timings of arrival and departure of each ferry to Souldrop City.

“Six adult...” Yongguk glances at his team as he orders the tickets. “Yeaaaah, six adult tickets.” He says it with some uncertainty.

“Adults are aged twenty and above,” the woman says mechanically. Her Magnemite floats behind her.

“We’re all kids except the two of you,” Youngjae pipes up, grinning.

Yongguk sighs, “Two adult tickets, four children’s tickets.”

The woman hands him the tickets and takes the money from Yongguk. “The next ferry’s in fifteen and all Pokemon are to be kept in Pokeballs during the trip.” Yongguk, Youngjae and Jongup decide to sit on the bench and wait for the ferry, Youngjae immediately pulling out his Pokedex to continue playing some mobile game on it, Fennekin peering curiously at the screen. Yongguk continues reading his book on training Pokemon, Houndour curled up by his feet and Jongup decides to play his phone game as well, Helioptile taking a nap on his lap.

Himchan, Daehyun and Junhong decide to take a walk around the clothes and souvenir shops and come out with Wiki chips, Qualot puffs and Sitrus rings. Himchan also manages to get his hands on a bright pink scarf and a matching winter coat.

“It’s pretty chilly at this time of the year,” he justifies.

By the time they go back to the waiting area, the ferry’s already arrived and Yongguk, Youngjae and Jongup are waiting at the entrance to the ferry, no Pokemon in sight. The other three follow suit, keeping their Pokemon in their Pokeballs and they board the ferry.

*

Lake Instinct connects Stratuseon/Gumtree to Souldrop. It’s massive, and Daehyun can’t even see the opposite banks. There are tiny island-like plots of land dotting the water. A thin fog surrounds them in wisps.

Daehyun and Junhong are out on the deck, leaning against the railing, taking in the sights of the various trees passing them by. Himchan says something about his skin and disappeared into the cabin. Yongguk is sleeping in a deckchair, book open on his face, mouth hanging open unglamourously. Youngjae is curled up on another deckchair, sunglasses on his face, staring at his Pokedex. Most likely playing that game he had downloaded or is practising his programming.

“I heard there are eight Gym badges to be collected,” Daehyun says. “And after that, we can enter through the Badge Check Gates before Victory Road. Then, we can fight the Elite Four.”

“Yup. That’s the League challenge in a nutshell,” Junhong nods. “But collecting all badges…you need to travel far. It’s pretty lonely, honestly.”

“Well, I’m not feeling that lonely,” Daehyun says, glancing back at the others, sans Himchan. “I’m kind of glad that we decided to travel together.”

“You would have travelled with Youngjae otherwise,” Junhong points out.

“True.”

The rest of the journey is quiet, with only the occasional chirping from Kricketot and the splashing sounds of Goldeen and Poliwag in the water. It’s peaceful, to say the least.

“Hey, what’s that?” Junhong points out. It’s a rather large stone structure in the middle of the lake, looking like one of the small isles they’ve just come across, but it doesn’t seem to have an entrance. Daehyun stares at it, gaping. He’s seen something like that before. Something like…

Something like the cavern that the red Gyarados nearly destroyed back at Lake Mystic. Daehyun shrugs and tells Junhong as much, who widens his eyes in surprise.

The boat drifts past the cavern. Daehyun is a little disappointed. He isn’t sure what he’d been expecting, however. Perhaps a Feral Pokemon attack? A little spark show or something to emerge from that slab of rock?

Then, the waves begin to get choppy.

Daehyun’s heart seizes in his chest as he grabs onto the railing. Thunder rumbles in the distance and droplets of water begin to rain down on them. The boat rocks, almost throwing Daehyun off his feet. Junhong seems to have noticed too that something isn’t quite right.

“Holy ,” Daehyun stares at the shape emerging from the water. It’s huge and not meant to be toyed with. The creature is orange and has antenna and a horn on the top of its head. It has small wings, but is able to emerge from the water and tower over the boat.

His Pokedex vibrates and he flips it open.

Dragonite. Level 87. Type: Dragon/Flying. Moves learned: Hurricane, Hyper Beam, Outrage, Dragon Dance. Ability: Multiscale (Hidden Ability: reduces damage when it’s perfectly healthy). This Pokémon saved a shipwrecked man, taking him to a remote island—a paradise occupied solely by Dragonite.

Level 87. They’re never going to beat that thing.

Well, the Dragonite readies a white beam in its mouth, aiming straight at their ferry.

Why oh why must he always encounter something like this during his travels? First the red Gyarados, then the Sharpedo, then the attack on the theatre…and now this?! Every time Daehyun sees something directed straight at his volatile organic body, he sees his life flashing before his eyes.

Just as the Dragonite is going to end Daehyun’s life, there is a blast of energy from the slab of rock from earlier, a purple beam fired off towards the sky, making a sharp u-turn and shooting back towards the Dragonite. The Hyper Beam is shot from the Dragonite’s mouth, but all Daehyun can see is the beam being directed back at it after hitting an invisible shield.

“What is that?!”

Daehyun’s Pokedex vibrates again.

Azelf. Level 65. Type: Psychic. Moves learned: Last Resort, Extrasensory, Future Sight, Nasty Plot. Ability: Levitate (the Pokemon will not get hit by Ground-type moves). Known as "The Being of Willpower." It sleeps at the bottom of a lake to keep the world in balance.

This Pokemon, that has been living in that rock for who knows how long, is actually coming out to defend them? He watches as the Dragonite, enraged, attempts to fire off another Hyper Beam at the Azelf now darting around, firing off Extrasensory attacks at the Dragonite. At the same time, it is preventing Dragonite from coming too close to the boat.

Dragonite roars angrily and glows with an otherworldly blue aura, slinging a fist towards the speedy Psychic-type. Azelf flashes with a dark aura, coating itself with its own golden aura.

The boat rocks again, water splashing onto the deck. Daehyun’s eyes are fixed on the battle happening before them. It’s almost as if he’s witnessing a major historical event.

“Focus!”

A whack on the back of his head snaps Daehyun out of his trance. The loudspeaker crackles to life just as Daehyun finds himself surrounded by Staryu and Goldeen as well as some Surskit.

Staryu. Level 15-18. Type: Water. Ability: Illuminate (attracts wild Pokemon). Large numbers of these Pokémon make their home at the seaside. At night, a strange red glow radiates from the center of their bodies.

Goldeen. Level 15-18. Type: Water. Ability: Swift Swim (increases Speed in rain). When the weather grows warm, they form groups and swim upriver. This sight serves as a poetic reminder that spring has arrived.

Surskit. Level 16-17. Type: Water/Bug. Ability: Swift Swim (increase Speed in rain). It moves as if skating on the surface of the water. It often fights with Dewpider over food.

“A-Attention please! This is your captain, Kim Mingyu. Please remain inside and do not venture out onto the deck. I repeat, please remain inside!”

A Surskit attacks Daehyun, the Pokemon secreting a stream of bubbles straight at Daehyun. Daehyun, out of panic, tosses a Pokeball and out bursts Cottonee. Cottonee blocks the attack, soaking up the bubbles with its cotton-like body. It sends a Razor Leaf attack towards the Surskit, the tiny knives of leaves piercing the bodies of Goldeen, Surskit and Staryu, knocking some of them out.

“Daehyun! Jongup! Come on in!”

Daehyun turns around to find Junhong holding the door open. Since when did that happen? He turns his head to find Jongup standing beside him, commanding his Pokemon to attack the horde of wild Pokemon. He calls out to Jongup, who returns all his Pokemon to their Pokeballs save for Servine, who whips up a Leaf Tornado against the remaining Pokemon.

Daehyun and Jongup make it back into the ferry, slamming the door behind them. A Surskit throws itself against the door

“Is everyone here?”

Daehyun is drenched and shivering. He looks around at the other five men gathered in the hallway, three of them partially wet or completely so.

“Yeah,” Youngjae nods, doing a head count.

“We’re supposed to stay inside until further notice,” Yongguk says, tapping his foot on the carpet. “Still, what the hell is that?”

Daehyun flips open his Pokedex, wet but still functioning, open to the image of the blue Pokemon, Azelf, that he’s seen earlier. The Being of Willpower, it says.

“That Pokemon, it appeared from the rock, right?” Junhong looks down at the image of the Pokemon. “Is it a legendary?”

“I think so,” Yongguk nods. “I’ve read some history books before, and I’ve seen this Pokemon mentioned. Amongst others.” Lightning flashes, casting ebony shadows against the carpet. Himchan flinches.

“Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit are the three lake guardians, or so I’ve heard. It was a myth, though. Didn’t know they…really existed.” There is a bright flash of purple, then a blast of white. The boat rocks even more and Daehyun nearly loses his balance.

The voice emits from the loudspeaker against just as Daehyun feels that something’s off. The boat feels heavier than it should be.

“Attention everyone! This is your captain Kim Mingyu,” the voice says. “Please follow the crew and gather at the lifeboat dispatch area. I repeat…” The voice then is cut off, and Daehyun gets some chills down his spine.

“Let’s move it,” Youngjae says, then begins to move, but someone grabs his hand.

“No,” Jongup says sternly. “We are going by Pokemon.”

*

“Araquanid.”

The six of them are standing out on the deck, rain pattering down on them. Jongup sends his newly-evolved Araquanid out, the spider Pokemon leaping onto the water, stick-like legs treading cautiously on the water.

“Araquanid can take up to four people,” Jongup says. “Junhong and Himchan, release Totodile and Brionne.”

The two do as they’re told.

“Hold on to your Pokemon. Yongguk, Daehyun and Youngjae, come with me. We’re going to jump.”

“W-Wait, what?” Youngjae stares at the orange lifeboats being deployed out onto the water, filled with people and Pokemon wearing lightning-yellow life jackets. “We’re not jumping. Holy , we’re not ju—yearrggh!”

He’s pushed from behind by Yongguk, and promptly falls onto Araquanid’s body. Yongguk is the next to jump and land on the Pokemon. More and more orange boats drift out onto the water, thrown about by the raging water.

Without hesitation, Daehyun jumps as well. He can feel his stomach drop as he falls that distance down before landing harshly on Araquanid. The Pokemon is unsteady on the water, since the waves are pushing it about. Behind him, there is a plop sound and finds Jongup right behind him.

“Why are we not on the lifeboats?” Youngjae is tense to the point where his entire body is trembling as he hugs Araquanid for dear life. “What the heck, why—”

There is a sudden screech and Daehyun watches as a swarm of Surskit gather around one of the lifeboats. There are sharp screams from the people aboard the lifeboat as the Surskit climb all over, weighing the boat down, the lifeboat sinking beneath the water.

“Because of that,” Jongup says, turning back to the massive battle happening right in front of them. “Feral Pokemon are bloodthirsty. Araquanid, Spider Web.”

Spider Web stops Staryu launching itself at them and Araquanid darts across the water, movements clean and fast. Right behind them are Brionne with Himchan clinging onto its back, membranous skirt flowing behind it. Totodile is travelling fast through the water as well, Junhong hanging on to its back as it kicks up flowers of water.

They’re going to skirt around the battle since now it’s an aerial one. Dragonite has taken to the skies, its wings increasing in size. Another crack of thunder and another fork of lightning stabs through the sky. Dragonite sends a tornado straight at Azelf, uprooting large trees as it glides towards Azelf, who dodges the onslaught of wind.

Araquanid deftly avoids the tornado. Daehyun throws an arm out as water splashes onto his face. He squints as the rain continues to beat down on them, showing no signs of stopping.

The battle is soon behind them and the ferry can no longer be seen, having sunk below the waves. Daehyun’s heart clenches when he realizes that there is not a single spot of orange in the water.

*

Youngjae sits on the bench, shaken, at the ferry terminal on the other end of Route 5, right next to the gate to Souldrop City. The rain hasn’t let up. It’s loud background noise against the glass panel of the terminal. Braixen is keeping its Trainer warm with its warm body and fur, and Youngjae is grateful, giving Braixen a scratch behind the ears.

Himchan isn’t doing so well either. Not feeling well, he’s lying down at the sick bay, changed into a dry set of clothes, Yongguk’s warm jacket draped across his body.

“Yongguk says he’s got a fever,” Daehyun says, gesturing towards the figure curled up on the bed. “Like, Himchan, not Yongguk.” He clears his throat. Youngjae notices the waver in his voice, though. Cottonee is right by Daehyun’s side, peering up worriedly at its Trainer. Junhong is looking through the gift shop to while away some time, while Jongup is standing outside the terminal, as if he isn’t afraid to get caught up in the chaos.

“What happened?” Youngjae asks. It didn’t sounds like a question.

Daehyun shakes his head, water droplets splashing from his wet fringe. “We’re the only survivors, Jae.”

Youngjae raises a brow. “What makes you think that?”

“You know the lifeboats? They’re…orange, right? When I looked back, the lifeboats were gone. Not a single one was left on the water,” Daehyun says, voice almost like a whisper. “No one survived except us.”

Youngjae bites his lip.

“We should have di—”

“Stop that,” Youngjae grits out. He looks over at his friend whose fringe is covering his eyes, said eyes cast down to his shoes, as if his soaked trainers are the most interesting thing in the world. “Stop saying stuff like that. You survived it, Daehyun, and that’s something to be happy about.”

Daehyun doesn’t respond.

At that moment, an announcement was made to the whole terminal. The Feral Pokemon had been taken care of by one of the Elite Four and has been captured. As if on clue, the rainclouds begin to clear, giving way to luscious sunlight. The sun has never seemed so beautiful.

People pass them by, walking out of the terminal and talking about how something that horrible has happened and how they’d postpone their trip to Sparkridge or Stratuseon. Young children cry about not being able to go on vacation. All these people talking about the incident like it’s a minor inconvenience, while to those on the ferry, it was d-day.

Jongup weaves through the crowd as he enters the terminal, and makes his way to the infirmary, passing by Daehyun and Youngjae.

“We’re going to go to Souldrop to let Himchan get some rest. It’s much too dangerous by the lake,” Yongguk says to Jongup.

“…We’d better be off then. Bring him outside.”

“I’ll go get the youngsters.”

Youngjae isn’t sure whether Daehyun is in any condition to travel.  “Come on, Daehyun, let’s go.”

Daehyun doesn’t budge. It’s as if he didn’t hear Youngjae at all.

“Daehyun, let’s go.” It’s a little more insistent this time. When Daehyun doesn’t respond again, Youngjae sighs. He watches as Jongup walks by with Araquanid, Himchan on its back, his Flabebe floating by him worriedly. Yongguk follows with Junhong by his side, and he stops in front of them.

“Hey kids, it’s time to leave. Souldrop’s just a stone’s throw away.”

Youngjae nods, then glances down wordlessly at Daehyun, who’s not even looking at Yongguk.

“What’s the problem?”

Youngjae tiptoes and whispers into Yongguk’s ear. Yongguk nods, expression becoming solemn. He tells Youngjae to go out first, and he’d deal with it. Youngjae takes a few steps before turning back and casting a concerned glance at them. Yongguk has knelt down in front of Daehyun, Houndour by his side, and saying something to Daehyun that he can’t quite catch.

“Youngjae!” Youngjae hears his name from the entrance of the terminal, and finds Junhong waving to him, Meditite tottering over.

“What’s up?” Youngjae asks, as Meditite tugs at his pants, pointing towards Junhong.

“Jongup’s wondering how long you’re gonna take,” Junhong says. “Or, you know, we could go first.”

Youngjae turns back to find Yongguk helping Daehyun stand, the latter wobbling a little, but is able to get onto his feet with the help of Monferno and Houndour. “Nah, I think we’re good, but Daehyun’s not…in a good state of mind. He should ride Araquanid with Himchan.”

Daehyun is thankful for the arrangements as he hops onto Araquanid’s back with Himchan, and they begin walking through the rest of the dirt path towards Souldrop. Past the gate is a pink-coloured crystal arc, and beyond that are the crystal-coated buildings of Souldrop City.

*

Pokedex entries gathered:

-Ponyta

Ponyta

-Monferno

Monferno

-Braixen

Braixen

-Poliwrath

Poliwrath

-Kricketune

Kricketune

-Pidgeotto

Pidgeotto

-Skiploom

Skiploom

-Pidove

Pidove

-Noibat

Noibat

-Dragonite

Dragonite

-Azelf

Azelf

-Staryu

Staryu

-Goldeen

Goldeen

-Surskit

Surskit

Cameo appearances:

-Sandshrew (one of the wild Pokemon Daejae were training against)

Sandshrew

-Yanma (one of the wild Pokemon Daejae were training against)

Yanma

-Woobat (one of the Gym trainers' Pokemon)

Woobat

-Murkrow (one of the Gym trainers' Pokemon)

Murkrow

-Emolga (one of the Gym trainers' Pokemon)

Emolga

-Fletchling (one of the Gym trainers' Pokemon)

Fletchling

******************************

Daehyun's Pokemon:

-Cottonee. Level 21. Type: Grass/Fairy. Moves learned: Growth, Razor Leaf, Stun Spore, Leech Seed.
-Monferno. Level 17. Type: Fire/Fighting. Moves learned: Mach Punch, Ember, Taunt, Fury Swipes.
-Bagon. Level 17. Type: Dragon. Moves learned: Bite, Dragonbreath, Leer, Headbutt

Youngjae's Pokemon:

-Petilil. Level 20. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Growth, Magical Leaf, Sleep Powder, Leech Seed.
-Buneary. Level 19. Type: Normal. Moves learned: Quick Attack, Baby-Doll Eyes, Frustration, Endure.
-Braixen. Level 18. Type: Fire. Moves learned: Psybeam, Tail Whip, Flame Charge, Howl.
-Cubone. Level 7. Type: Ground. Moves learned: Growl, Tail Whip, Bone Club.

Jongup's Pokemon:

-Helioptile. Level 22. Type: Normal/Electric. Moves learned: Charge, Shock Wave, Quick Attack, Razor Wind.
-Lucario. Level 23. Type: Fighting/Steel. Moves learned: Feint, Aura Sphere, Swords Dance, Foresight.
-Araquanid. Level 22. Type: Water/Bug. Moves learned: Bite, Bug Bite, Bubblebeam, Spider Web.
-Servine. Level 19. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Tackle, Growth, Leaf Tornado, Wrap.

Junhong's Pokemon:

-Clefairy. Level 19. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Bestow, Sweet Kiss, Pound, Magical Leaf
-Bellsprout. Level 20. Type: Grass/Poison. Moves learned: Vine Whip, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, Wrap.
-Meditite. Level 21. Type: Fighting/Psychic. Moves learned: Hidden Power, Confusion, Meditate, Force Palm
-Totodile. Level 14. Type: Water. Moves learned: Scratch, Scary Face, Water Gun, Bite.

Yongguk's Pokemon:

-Rufflet. Level 20. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Hone Claws, Scary Face, Fury Attack, Wing Attack
-Houndour. Level 21. Type: Fire/Dark. Moves learned: Odor Sleuth, Ember, Howl, Bite
-Spinarak. Level 20. Type: Bug/Poison. Moves learned: Infestation, Shadow Sneak, Scary Face, Absorb
-Grovyle. Level 18. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Fury Cutter, Mega Drain, Leer, Pursuit.

Himchan's Pokemon:

-Flabebe. Level 17. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Fairy Wind, Razor Leaf, Lucky Chant, Tackle.
-Kirlia. Level 20. Type: Fairy/Psychic. Moves learned: Disarming Voice, Heal Pulse, Confusion, Magical Leaf
-Brionne. Level 17. Type: Water. Moves learned: Icy Wind, Baby-Doll Eyes, Disarming Voice, Aqua Jet
-Poochyena. Level 15. Type: Dark. Moves learned: Bite, Sand-Attack, Howl, Odor Sleuth