Tower of Mastery

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

im so happy for zelo he's finally free from TS hahaha wish him well in his future activities!

*************************************

Pain.

That is all Youngjae can feel now. His back smarts. What did he expect, though? It was raked harshly by two, razor-sharp claws. His shirt must have been torn to shreds. What a pity. It was his favourite shirt.

The two kids he tried to save are alright. Afraid, but unhurt. Their Pokemon are fighting fiercely against the onslaught of Vigoroth and Slaking. Their numbers have decreased a lot, but with the Level 74 Slaking, the Feral Pokemon are still coming on strong.

Now Youngjae lies uselessly against Junhong, unable to move a limb. Completely and utterly helpless. Junhong reprimands him over and over while shouting commands to his Pokemon. Youngjae struggles to think of a sassy response, even on death’s doorstep. Actually, he still has a stairway to climb.

While it hurts like a , Youngjae is certain his wound is not fatal. Youngjae can only watch as a Vigoroth leaps onto Yongguk, claws out and ready to strike. He needn’t worry, however, as Yongguk’s Rufflet slashes at the Vigoroth, tearing the Pokemon away from its Trainer.

The Slaking executes a Punishment attack. With one powerful punch to the ground, Slaking sends a dark pulse of energy in every direction. Some of the waves strike its own brethren, while others take out weaker Pokemon. The Slaking roars as it takes some time to rest.

Himchan’s Brionne comes out of nowhere, the Pokemon letting out an Icy Wind attack. It conjures a gale of cold wind, ice particles forming in the air.

“Bubblebeam!”

“Water Gun!”

Croconaw joins Brionne in sending jets and projectiles of water through the air, hitting many Vigoroth in its path before making its way to Slaking.

Both Pokemon begin to shake and tremble as from their bodies white light burst forth in beams. The silhouettes of both Pokemon take on vastly different appearances. Croconaw’s form begins to grow much bigger, a gargantuan jaw replacing its already-large one, and the blue scales on its skin becomes more prominent. Brionne’s new form becomes more graceful. A head of blue seaweed-like hair flows behind it, white flippers fanning out, sea blue frills forming around its neck.

Feraligator. Level 32. Type: Water. Moves learned: Crunch, Flail, Ice Fang, Water Gun. Ability: Torrent (boosts Water-type moves when health is low). Feraligator intimidates its foes by opening its huge mouth. In battle, it will kick the ground hard with its thick and powerful hind legs to charge at the foe at an incredible speed.

Primarina. Level 34. Type: Water/Fairy. Moves learned: Sparkling Aria, Icy Wind, Double Slap, Disarming Voice. Ability: Torrent (boosts Water-type moves when health is low). Also known as a songstress, it has a fantastical look on moonlit nights when it leads its colony in song.

“Sparkling Aria!”

“Crunch!”

Feraligator chomps down hard on Slaking’s thigh, clear ichor gushing from the wound as Slaking roars in pain. Giant spheres of water materialize behind Primarina. The Pokemon fires them at the Slaking, dealing damage, but the Slaking takes it all like a sponge.

Even worse, the Slaking appears to go to sleep. Immediately, its wounds heal up and it goes back to fighting at full force. What the hell did it just do?

From behind Slaking, Jongup’s Lucario burst from the canopies overhead, fists outstretched, blue sphere flaring from its fingertips. The sphere of blue rushes at Slaking, hitting it hard from the back. Youngjae watches in wonderment as it doesn’t seem to do a of damage, despite Aura Sphere being super-effective against the Feral beast.

. If even Jongup’s well-trained Pokémon are unable to defeat this Slaking…

Where the hell is the Marshhusk Leader?

Slaking, getting tired of the fighting, now stands, ambling over to where the fearful passengers are gathered, including Junhong and Youngjae. Petilil and Clefairy spring to defend them, but with one powerful sweep with Slaking’s Hammer Arm, the sheer force of the air sends people flying.

Youngjae is enveloped by Junhong’s tall, lean body as they sail through the air, hitting the ground hard. Gravel scrapes Youngjae’s legs, cutting into his skin like pinpricks. He splutters, coughing up the dust that tastes like sandpaper.

It’s when Youngjae rolls onto his side, out of Junhong’s arms, that he sees it. Amidst the ferns and swamps and shrubbery.

A pair of orange and yellow eyes.

Holy Tapu…

No. Not now. Not another Feral out there.

The eyes don’t move. They merely stare back. And they’re not staring at him. They’re staring, unblinkingly, at the battle taking place before it. Youngae shifts, wincing at the splitting pain in his back, trying to get a better look at the Pokémon, or creature. Judging from what Youngjae can see, the Pokémon most likely comes up to his kneecaps.

It has a headgear of sorts, its body so dark that it nearly blends in with the muddied darkness of the swamp. Youngjae can only stare at it, wondering when it’s going to make a move and dreading when it does.

However, the Pokémon defies his expectations and stays put, preferring to be a bystander. Youngjae isn’t sure whether the Pokémon even saw him yet.

Then, the Pokémon strikes. It does so with blinding speed, footsteps light as it runs on the water. It is merely a blur of grey, flashes of orange and yellow from its eyes trailing after its movements. Youngjae can barely discern its shape as the Pokémon takes out the Slaking in a single Close Combat move.

The Slaking slumps to the ground, falling rather anticlimactically. The grey Pokémon then fizzles away from sight, sinking into the ground. Youngjae stares at the Slaking, the Pokémon lying facedown on the ground, unable to rise.

“What was…what was that?”

Youngjae tilts his head back to find Daehyun standing beside him, blood trickling from a cut to the forehead. Whimsicott and Larvesta stands by him, injured as well.

“The Slaking just…toppled,” Himchan says, showing up beside them.

“There was this grey thing, though,” Youngjae says loudly, gesturing wildly with his hands. “This grey thing that came out of nowhere. I think it was a Pokémon.”

“I didn’t see any grey thing,” Himchan says quickly, folding his arms.

“Neither did I,” Junhong says, sitting upright, propped up on his elbows. “Maybe it just ate something bad or something.”

“What the . I definitely saw it,” Youngjae says, trying to stand up but immediately sitting back down, falling back into Junhong. He raises a finger. “I definitely saw it,” he repeats resolutely, only to be met with disbelieving gazes.

“Check the Pokédex then,” Yongguk’s deep voice floats over from whre he crosses over. “The Pokédex should have recorded any information on that Pokémon.”

Youngjae’s eyes light up and he reaches for his Dex, all covered in mud, its blinking light nearly obscured by the dirt. He flips it open, and an entry appears, along with an image of the Pokémon.

Marshadow. Level 75. Type: Ghost/Fighting. Moves learned: Spectral Thief, Close Combat, er Punch, Endeavour. Ability: Technician (increases power of moves with low power). It lurks in the shadows of others, copying their movements and powers. This Pokémon is craven and cowering.

Craven, huh? That Pokémon was the complete opposite of craven. Are they even the same Pokémon? Youngjae glances down at the picture of the Marshadow again. The image is an exact replica of what Youngjae had seen.

“I’ve never seen anything like it,” Junhong says, taking the Pokédex from Youngjae and squinting at it.

“It’s craven,” Youngjae says flatly. “And cowardly, apparently.”

“Well, apparently it exists,” Himchan says. “Come on, we have to help people get to Marshhusk.”

*

Yongguk had phoned for the police force of Marshhusk, since it’s nearer that city than Heatstorm. They had promised to send people over immediately. Most peope were mourning, others were eager to leave the site of tragedy. The band of Vigoroth had left swiftly after the fall of their leader.

Jongup, presently, is helping an elderly woman move her luggage with Lucario’s help. Daehyun is cheering up some children, Plusle and Larvesta performing some tricks for them. The other members are busy, along with some able-bodied youths and adults, to help with the moving of luggages as they trek down the bashed-up train tracks.

Jongup ends up engaging in conversation with the elderly woman about her life, her children, her grandchildren, her Pokémon and what she does on a daily basis back in her home, the remote village of Dreamnote all the way at Chordstream Island.

Halfway through, he receives a call. He picks it up.

“Jongup, I heard about the accident.”

Funny, he has never received a call from her after any major incident. Not even after the Heatstorm tragedy. Jongup excuses himself from the conversation with the lady for a while.

“Anything the problem?” Jongup asks, keeping his head low, voice soft.

“Have you heard? They’ve murdered a Leader. Two Leaders. Marshhusk and Sparkridge. If I were you, I’d avoid those places…”

“Little too late for that,” Jongup says. Murdered not one, but two Leaders?

“It’s terrible. Really. People are angry, afraid. And with Goldplunder so near Marshhusk, it’s a wonder the place isn’t a goner yet.”

“The Tower of Mastery,” Jongup reminds her.

“Oh…yes. Speaking of which, have you caught him?”

Jongup sighs, “No. It is hard to tell. None of them are giving away any telltale signs. I can say for sure it isn’t one of them, however.”

“Great. That’s…great. Just keep at it, okay? How’s the Pokédex coming along, anyways?”

“Good. I think I have an idea as to who it is, by the way.”

“Nice to hear. Regarding both statements. Give the other kid my best regards too.”

Jongup gives an affirmative response and puts it down. She knows he is on the way to Marshhusk. She just subtly told him and his companions to seek shelter at the Tower of Mastery.

Evening is crawling upon them, anyways. The sun is about to set, casting ebony shadows on the gravel road flanked by fens. Nocturnal Pokémon are emerging from their lairs, coming out to hunt. They need to find shelter soon.

Thankfully, the travelling group is not attacked by any wild Pokémon, Feral or not. They soon come to a tall tower, constructed entirely out of bricks, resting on what looks to be hard packed earth in the middle of the icky swamp. Light illuminates the insides, as can be seen from the windows. The heavyset wooden doors are guarded by Pokémon gargoyles. The tower looks like something from a millennia ago.

Jongup recognizes this place, and so does Youngjae, apparently. The boy had undergone Floette’s healing and his wound had closed up, rendering him able to walk and move freely now.

“This is the Tower of Mastery,” Youngjae says, turning back to his friends. “I read about it in the guidebook.”

“This is the home to eighteen monks,” Yongguk says, looking up at the ominous-looking tower, their beacon in the dark of night. A cold wind begins to blow, reminding them of the onset of winter. Unlike Heatstorm, it appears that the Marshhusk Swamp is more susceptible to colder nights. Daehyun hugs his coat tighter to his body.

“We can take shelter here,” Yongguk continues. Bravely, he steps forward and raps the door knocker on the door. The door knocker is shaped like a Fraxure’s head.

Within three knocks, a metal sound clinks on the other end, like the sound of a lock behind released. The doors are opened with great difficulty and an old man dressed in a sage’s robes appear at the doorway, rosary beads strung around his wrist. He sports a mustache and a beard that ends around his midsection. His Pokémon, a Swampert, hangs around by his side.

“What brings travellers like you to a humble abode such as this?”

Himchan steps forward and explains their situation. The monk nods and Swampert grunts, but does not sound hostile. The monk guides them in. Jongup counts about twenty heads in total, minus the six of them. Twenty heads that survived the trainwreck incident. There were at least fifty people on that train. beeh

Most of the twenty are children or young adults with their Pokémon. Some children have lost their parents, some Pokémon lost their Trainers, some adults lost their loved ones.

A mat of tatami is laid out on the floor, and a long dinner table, able to seat at least twenty, is situated in the middle of the floor. There are other monks who have arrived to see what the commotion is about, accompanied by their Pokémon. Jongup notices at least an Audino, a Slowbro and a Venusaur. They are mainly hanging about by the wooden staircases that take people up to higher levels, perchance to their bedrooms.

Some of these monks come down to cook for the newcomers, who gratefully tuck into the delicious spread soon placed before them. Jongup sees Yongguk and Himchan excuse themselves from the table and requesting to speak to the old monk that had ushered them in.

“What is this tower exactly?” Daehyun asks, munching hungrily into a piece of roasted Payapa berry, trying to satisfy his voracious appetite.

“A tower where monks come to gain enlightenment in the art of battles,” Jongup says. “It is a place where they learn a secret technique that seems to only affect certain Pokémon.”

“Secret battle technique? Like what?” Youngjae asks, eyes gleaming.

“If I knew, it wouldn’t be secret now, would it?”

They eat the rest of their meal in silence, save for the ocassional sound of teeth on berry and meat. After dinner, they are shown to their rooms by the monks (there happens to be at least five unused rooms, so the six of them are crammed into one room with another six people. A family and a couple.

They take turns washing up and changing out of their mud-soaked clothes. Some of the monks arrive with extra futons – there isn’t enough for everyone, so Jongup, Yongguk and Junhong end up sleeping on the tatami mats.

The two children that are sharing the same room with them – the two with the Zigzagoon and Dwebble – end up sleeping first, knocked out from all the exhaustion. Then, snoring can be heard from the adults and Daehyun. Finally, Yongguk, Himchan and Youngjae succumb to slumber.

But not Jongup.

For some reason, he’s wide awake, unable to sleep.

He then hears rustling.

Jongup turns, pretending to shift himself in sleep. He sees a figure in the darkness, keeping to the shadows, staying out of the moonbeam. The figure sticks a hand under Youngjae’s blanket, as if reaching for something.

Jongup doesn’t want to confront the figure now. Not when he isn’t sure who it is and not when there are children in the same room.

The figure’s hand emerges from the futon with a familiar, shiny device. A Dex. The figure turns around and retreats to a corner of the room with the Dex. Not just the Dex. Two Dexes. He is hunched right below the windowframe. By now, he has moved out of Jongup’s peripheral vision – if the latter doesn’t tilt his head up suspiciously, he will be unable to see the figure.

The figure is right next to Yongguk, who appears to be in deep sleep. Jongup’s eyes begin to hurt from staring up too much into the bright moonbeam. He shifts to get a better view.

The figure has connected the two Dexes with a wire. Most definitely a HDMI to HDMI wire. The Dexes only have a HDMI connector, which covers one of their bases. It is hard to find HDMI cables for sale – normal Poképhones from the Leppa brand uses Lightning cables and Droid Poképhones use USB cables. A spy would come fully equipped with whatever they need in order to achieve their goal.

A HDMI to HDMI cable is one of them, apparently.

Jongup can only watch as the figure finishes transferring whatever data he needs. He plugs the wire out, and returns the Dex to Youngjae’s own. He then slips back into bed, throwing the futon’s blankets over his tall, lean body.

He turns to face Jongup, though, and cautiously meets the other’s eyes, before turning his back to Jongup and subsequently falling asleep.

If anything, what he saw prevents Jongup from sleeping even more so. The spy saw him watching. The spy belongs to a very dangerous organization, ruthless, as some may call it. What if he decides to murder him in his sleep?

It’s not every day that something gets Jongup a little frazzled.

But the thought of being murdered in his sleep, frankly, gives his already-racing heart a whole tank of fuel.

*

It’s the dead of the night when Jongdae wakes up to the sound of metal clanging. He is still in this dirty cell of his, but this time, his wrists and ankles are unbound. After that longer-than-it-felt interrogation session with that unfeeling Seokjin, he isn’t feeling too good. Speaking of that, Seulgi, after having lost a thumb and a pinky on one hand and a pinky and a ring finger on the other, has had a sack thrown over her head and ferried away, out of the room.

Jongdae is huddled in a corner, not caring about the dirt and grime getting on his jeans. He has his knees drawn up to his chin, trying to preserve as much heat as possible. The room is chilly.

He watches as the door to his prison opens, and a boy with familiar faded silvery-blue hair walks in, movements as quiet as a feline’s. Jongdae peers up fearfully. Oh Arceus, what are they going to do now?

The Jimin person beckons him over with a “come-hither” motion. Jongdae cautiously rises, legs stiff from being in one position for so long.

“Hurry,” Jimin hisses, and Jongdae quickly makes his way over. Jimin shoves something into his hands. Something familiar. His leather belt! He looks down in pure shock, and finds that his Pokémon are very much alive, very much safe. He fixes the belt around his waist, and upon Jimin’s instruction, releases a Pokémon, Emolga. Small enough to avoid detection, yet powerful enough to be able to protect himself should the situation calls for it.

“Why are you helping me?” Jongdae whispers.

Jimin doesn’t answer. Instead, he places a finger on his lips and tosses a brown, frayed cloak at him, sewn together crudely with patches of mismatched shades of brown, grey and black. Emolga is clinging to Jongdae’s shoulder, covered completely by the cloak as Jongdae shrugs it on. He notices that Jimin himself is wearing a similar cloak, a tiny silver Pokémon with a long horn of sorts peeking out from underneath.

“We have to move before the patrols get here,” Jimin says, voice barely above a whisper.

Jongdae nods. Jimin has no time for his questions right now.

“What about Seulgi?”

“The girl? Seokjin isn’t done with her,” Jimin answers simply. Done with her? Is the man…? Jongdae shudders.

“W-We’ve got to go save her,” Jongdae says.

“Save her?” Jimin looks like he’s on the verge of laughing. “What will you do for me in return?”

Jongdae stares at him, appalled. Do for him?

“Save your breath,” Jimin says. “We’ll discuss this outside.”

Jongdae swallows.

The prison cell they are kept in is someplace dark. Jongdae can barely see two feet in front of him. The only lighting this place is getting is the sliver of moonbeams that shine through the barred windows carved at regular intervals into the stone walls. Jongdae doesn’t even know a place like this existed in Oakre.

Or does it?

Is it even in Oakre?

Did they somehow smuggle Jongdae across the border or something? Into…Alola? Kalos?

“This way,” Jimin says, rounding a corner. He presses his back against the wall as soon as he reaches a doorway. The wooden door is swung open. Jongdae hears the sounds of footsteps and his face pales. Jimin’s Pokémon drops to the ground from its hiding place under his cloak, its silver body making no sound as it creeps along the ground, sticking to the shadows.

Jongdae only hears the sound of muffled screaming. Then a thud. Jimin peers around the corner, past the doorframe. He nods, “All clear.”

Jongdae follows Jimin’s lead as they enter the dark room. It is filled with what looks to be bookshelves, all manner of Pokémon items, including different types of Pokéballs, vitamins, battle items, healing items…

“We haven’t got all day.”

Jongdae, startled, notices Jimin standing at the entrance to another corridor, right out in the open. Guess there’s no guards that way. He follows Jimin, almost on his heels, as they lay low, staying out of the moonlight.

The next half-hour of Jongdae’s life is probably the most excruciating thirty minutes of his life. They are turning down corridors, Jimin’s Escavalier taking out whatever guards there are and their Pokémon. With every step, Jimin assures him that they are getting nearer and nearer the exit. Jongdae is constantly on edge, Emolga even tenser beside him. However, Jimin should be the most afraid of them all. He is betraying whatever organization he is part of to help him. To a certain extent, anyways.

Despite his fear, Jongdae is keeping an eye open for any signs of Seulgi. Be it screaming, Seokjin’s voice or…

“We’re here.”

Jimin stands by the entrance, having knocked out two guards. What greets Jongdae isn’t a familiar sight in Oakre, neither is it the sky or foliage. It is a staircase. Jimin heads up the staircase, Jongdae following closely behind, footsteps light on the stone stairs.

At the top is a metallic gate, with a keycard scanner to the side. Jimin taps a card he has swiped from one of the guards earlier, then hurls it down the stairs. It lands with a soft plop sound. Jongdae watches as the metallic door opens, the two doors swinging outwards and Jimin and Jongdae emerges from the door, out into the open fields of what looks to be Oakre. Jongdae can faintly see Mount Fireward in the distance.

“The nearest town here is Dreamnote Village,” Jimin tells him. That must mean that they are on Chordstream Island. “Stay there for the night if you don’t have a Pokémon that can carry you to the mainland. Take the ferry first thing in the morning.”

He hands Jongdae something from his pocket. Jongdae’s eyes widen as he sees the small piece of metal.

His Poképhone.

“Couldn’t save your Pokédex,” Jimin says, hands retreating back under the cloak. “Sorry.”

“Wait,” Jongdae says, as Jimin looks like he is about to head back into the prison. “Seulgi. Are you going to save here?”

“Oh, that.” Jimin shuffles on the spot, then smirks at him. “What are you going to do for me?”

Jongdae dreads that question, but he can’t leave Seulgi to her fate down in those dungeons. “Anything that is within my power.”

“Hmm,” Jimin nods. “Good answer. Tell you what – text me, and I’ll send you the details tomorrow. Tomorrow morning at eight a.m.”

Jongdae nods. Seulgi…she just recently became a Leader and something like his befell her. Perhaps if she didn’t become a Leader... No. Someone else would have been captured and tortured like she had been.

“Oh, and one more thing,” Jimin says, voice suddenly cold. “Do not tell anyone about this place. Do so, and we will destroy your city.”

“W-Who are you?” Jongdae takes a step back. Arceus, he feels faint. Destroy Sparkridge? How? With what? All for the location of some secret base of theirs? Jimin’s words feel genuine, and that makes Jongdae sick to the stomach.

“We are Team BTS,” Jimin says. “Now, go.”

Without another glance behind him, Jongdae flees, cloak fluttering behind him. Emolga darts out of the cloak, spreading its wings, gliding along beside him, all that pent-up electricity sparking around its cheek pouches.

Jimin watches as Jongdae runs down the path, towards Dreamnote Village. No doubt he would have to go through a forest of some sort to reach there, but Jongdae is a strong and capable Leader. Jimin is certain he’d make it.

People may see Jongdae as a fearless Leader – hell, before Jimin joined Team BTS, he’d looked up to the fourteen-year-old boy who had passed the Leader test and ahad become a full-fledged Leader.

“So, he left.”

Jimin turns back to find Seokjin standing there with his Ferrothorn, the taller man looking ethereal in the moonlight. Seokjin has always been, as he’s prided himself on, beautiful, and now even more so with the moonlight bouncing off his skin.

“Yes, he did,” Jimin says, tearing off his cloak. It had been a disguise – to hide him not from Seokjin and the grunts, but a disguise to deceive the gullible Leader. Escavalier looks proud that it has completed the mission.

“The girl?”

“Still asleep. Man, she’s an easy one,” Seokjin says, shrugging. “Threatened to break her legs and she just started blabbering.”

“I heard the mythical Pokémon she was supposed to be guarding is hard to find.”

“That’s why we thought it was only in myths,” Seokjin says. He looks up at the moon, at the twinkling stars, standing out against the black of the night sky. The clouds drift by. The calm before the storm. “I’m going to return her tomorrow. Or keep her a while longer. You know, fulfil your end of the bargain you promised him.”

Jimin almost forgot about that. Seokjin reminds him with a of his head in the direction of Lushtrot Jungle.

“Oh, yeah. Right.”

“Good job making him believe he owes you something.”

“I try.”

*

The next day, Daehyun notices, has Jongup on edge. He has never seen someone with such troubled body language straight away from the moment he wakes up (did he even sleep? Look at those eye bags).

“Is there a problem?” Daehyun asks.

Jongup sits across from him at the long dining table. They are eating what the humble monks eat – congee with a few simple side dishes. Simple, but delicious. Jongup’s spoon is poised in midair, bits of congee dripping back into the bowl.

“No, I’m fine,” Jongup says, shoving the spoon into his mouth.

“You sure? Did you have a nightmare or something?” Youngjae asks, delicately placing a piece of dried Grepa berry into his mouth.

Daehyun stares at Jongup worriedly.

“No,” Jongup says flatly.

They decide to stop questioning, knowing that they’re not going to get anything out of him. Himchan, the sleepyhead, saunters down the staircase with a terrible case of bed hair, his locks standing whichever way as he rubs his eyes. Yongguk trails after him, looking decidedly more awake, his usual black jacket thrown on and his hands in his pockets.

“What’s for breakfast?” Himchan asks, face still swollen from sleep, his eyes barely open. He takes a seat beside Junhong.

“Congee,” Youngjae answers. “Go get your own.”

Before Himchan can protest, Yongguk has already returned with two bowls of hot congee, placing one bowl in front of Himchan with a “chink”.

“You shouldn’t keep doing that,” Youngjae says, slurping up the rest of his meal. “Himchan should learn to fend for himself.”

“What part of this is ‘fending’ for myself? Plus, I wouldn’t need to fend for myself if I got a servant,” Himchan says, smacking his lips as he picks up the spoon half-submerged in the congee. Yongguk has already started eating. Mightyena whines, poking its head up and nuzzling into Junhong’s lap, who laughs and feeds it a Bluk berry.

“By the way, kids,” Yongguk says. Rufflet is perched on his shoulder, peering at them curiously, “how would you like to learn the secret technique of the monks?”

“Wait, what?” Daehyun and Youngjae say simultaneously.

“We asked them yesterday,” Himchan says, yawning, “when y’all were enjoying your dinner. Gave us a list of the Pokémon that can learn it, and guess what, we’ve each got one.”

“Huh, really?” Daehyun stares at Whimsicott, who stares back.

“Well, almost,” Himchan says, raising his spoon.

“For Youngjae, you have Lopunny. Jongup has Lucario, Junhong has Medicham, I have Houndoom and Himchan has Gardevoir.”

“Wait, what about me?” Daehyun asks, suddenly panicked. But they did say that they all have a Pokémon that can learn the secret technique, right?

“That’s the thing,” Himchan says. “Shelgon could learn it, but it needs to evolve into a Salamence first.”

“But that’s…” Daehyun can only stare helplessly.

“Shelgon evolves at level fifty,” Jongup supplies. “If you’re wondering.”

“That’ll take forever.” With every passing second, Daehyun’s expression gets gloomier and gloomier. It’s almost painful to watch.

“I’m all for learning this secret technique, but if we can’t learn it together, I say we wait till Shelgon evolves,” Youngjae says. Daehyun stares back at him, appalled. Usually, Youngjae would be the one who would advocate getting stronger, no matter at what cost.

“Oh,” Himchan looks a little disappointed, but nods. “Guess we’ll come back some other time.”

Great. Now Daehyun feels bad. “No, no. You can all go and learn if you want. I’ll just hang back and…train or something.”

“No,” Youngjae shakes his head. “This…this secret technique is cool and all, and I seriously want to challenge the Pokémon League with this, but I was your friend first.”

“Jae…” Arceus, now Daehyun’s got tears in his eyes. Why the hell is he getting so emotional over this?

Just then, there is a loud whump on the door, then a large wave of water begins to spill into the room through the window, soaking the carpet.

“Holy crap, what’s happening?”

Yongguk abandons his bowl of congee and he, Jongup and Junhong leap to their feet, the three who are the most experienced in battles. Daehyun swipes his eyes, peering out the window, trying to find their attackers. The other people eating breakfast in the room appear to be rather shocked as well and anxious, on edge.

“Oh, it looks like they’re here early today.”

The old monk that had greeted them yesterday appears, this time with his Swampert by his feet as he ambles down the stairs, seemingly unperturbed by whatever is happening outside.

The other monks emerge from their rooms with their Pokémon.

“Does this always happen?” Yongguk asks him. If Daehyun isn’t mistaken, they seem to have some history.

“Every morning,” the monk acknowledges. “Though they are usually here at eight. Now, do our esteemed guests back to their rooms.”

Yongguk nods and motions for the team to act on his command. They set to work, ushering the frightened people up the stairs as the old monk bellows, “Open the gates!” The gate is pushed open by two monks and their Pokémon, revealing a whole horde of Sliggoo and Goomy gathered, water sloshing into the tower.

The first drops of rain fall, then the drizzle evolves into a thunderstorm. Lightning flashes in the sky and thunder rolls like a gong. The Sliggoo begin to charge in, sending waves of water crashing into the dining table, into the walls, as well as Dragon Pulses going every which way, chipping into the stone.

One of the wayward Dragon Pulse hits the wall above a child’s head. The child stops walking and starts crying, his Shroomish huddling into his side, afraid as well. Daehyun quickly scoops the kid up and Whimsicott picks the Shroomish up with its cotton body.

Then, Daehyun catches a most wondrous sight.

The old monk’s Pokémon, the Swampert, glows with a celestial light, resonating with something chained to that monk’s rosary beads. Swampert bursts out from the light, and Daehyun sees a new Pokémon emerge from the light. It looks like Swampert, but it isn’t at the same time.

Is it some form of evolution?

Swampert. Level 80. Type: Water/Ground. Moves learned: Hammer Arm, Earthquake, Surf, Protect. Ability: Damp (prevents explosions)/Swift Swim (Mega: increased Speed in rain). Its arms are hard as rock. With one swing, it can break a boulder into pieces.

“Surf!”

While it is not very effective, Daehyun watches as the old monk’s Swampert blows all the Sliggoo away with the Surf attack, Swampert having generated a wave of water that sweeps the fluid Sliggoo and Goomy out of the room.

Holy , that is strong!

The other Pokémon seem to be engaging in their own forms of evolution, with the other monks’ rosary beads shining with a bright flash of light.

All at once, their Pokémon turn into a different form of themselves. No matter what the Pokémon looks like, all of them exude power, in forms of flaring aura.

The Audino strikes hard with a Dazzling Gleam attack, its new whiter body releasing a sparklier and deadlier version of the original. An Altaria, body covered in a larger cloak of clouds, tails swishing behind as it directs its own Dragonbreath towards the straggling Sliggooo and Goomy, forcing all of them out of the door.

The battle moves outside. The people that the six of them are escorting up to their rooms are questioning them, questioning them why this is happening. Why can’t they just reach Marshhusk in peace? Lamenting, complaining. When Daehyun and Youngjae finally break free from the people and their inquiries, they manage to storm their way outside to find that the battle is already taking place outside, the sounds of battle resonating in the morning air.

The moment they are outside, they find Yongguk and Himchan partaking in the battle as well, their Pokémon fighting off the bunch of Sliggoo and Goomy. Daehyun is immediately assaulted by a Goomy, the tiny thing throwing itself at him, slimy body slamming hard into his midsection, sending Daehyun sprawling into the muddy water of the swamp.

The pouring rain isn’t making it any better either. It pelts down on him, blurring his vision. He cannot see anything other than the Goomy that is attacking him now. And Arceus, that rain is cold. Of course it is.

Whimsicott bats it away, sprinkling Poison Powder over the Goomy who recoils from the attack. Youngjae appears to be having a hard time as well, the sheer number of Goomy overwhelming him and Misdreavus and Marowak.

A Sludge Bomb attack throws a Sliggoo off Youngjae, the Pokémon fainting immediately from the poisonous projectile. The young monk helps Youngjae up, the latter covered in mud.

Daehyun himself cannot rest, as he grabs his Pokédex and flips it open. Water splashes onto the screen, drenching the Dex and making it hard to see, but Daehyun can still make out the images and words on the entry.

Goomy. Level 25-30. Type: Dragon. Ability: Sap Sipper (boosts Attack when hit by Grass-type move)/Hydration (heals status ailments when in rain). The weakest of all Dragon-type Pokémon, it's unable to breathe if its skin dries out, so it sticks to shady places.

Sliggoo. Level 40-45. Type: Dragon. Ability: Sap Sipper (boosts Attack when hit by Grass-type move)/Hydration (heals status ailments when in rain). It has trouble drawing a line between friends and food. It will calmly try to melt and eat even those it gets along well with. 

Fearsome beasts indeed.

It takes a long while, but the numbers of the Sliggoo and Goomy start to decline.

However, the rain only gets heavier, if that is possible. Lightning streaks across the sky, cutting through the dark clouds.

Two of Daehyun’s Pokéballs begins to rattle, and two of his Pokémon burst out in a splash of white. It’s not just him, Youngjae’s and Junhong’s Pokémon as well. The light is so blinding to the point where Daehyun has to squeeze his eyes shut.

Then, the unthinkable happens.

When Daehyun opens his eyes again, he sees his Pokémon in completely new forms in front of him. A large dragon-like creature with blood-red wings and a blue body, a long tail swishing as it roars at the enemies in front of them. The other is a white-furred monkey with a strong fire burning atop its head, even in the rain, showing no signs of fizzling out.

In front of Youngjae stands a tall fox-like creature, covered in red and yellow, black tiny claws that look like hands sticking out from under that fur. It brandishes a large branch, a roaring fire roasting the wood as well, in spite of the downpour. Beside Junhong stands a coffin-like Pokémon, ghostly black arms emerging from it, red eyes boring down at the wave of…Sliggoo? Where did the Goomy go?

“This has never happened before…” the monk next to Daehyun speaks over the rain, his Beedrill barely able to keep itself airborne in the rain.

Daehyun’s Pokédex begins beeping like mad, and he glances down at the device.

Salamence. Level 35. Type: Dragon/Flying. Moves learned: Dragon Claw, Zen Headbutt, Focus Energy, Crunch. Ability: Intimidate (lowers Attack of foe). When angered, it loses all sense of itself and destroys everything around it. The destruction will continue until Salamence has tired itself out.

Infernape. Level 36. Type: Fire/Fighting. Moves learned: Feint, Close Combat, Flame Wheel, Torment. Ability: Blaze (boosts Fire-type moves when health is low). Its crown of fire is indicative of its fiery nature. It is beaten by none in terms of quickness.

Delphox. Level 33. Type: Fire/Psychic. Moves learned: Psybeam, Mystical Fire, Light Screen, Lucky Chant. Ability: Blaze (boosts Fire-type moves when health is low). It gazes into the flame at the tip of its branch to achieve a focused state, which allows it to see into the future.

Cofagrigus. Level 31. Type: Ghost. Moves learned: Scary Face, Hex, Curse, Ominous Wind. Ability: Mummy (changes foe’s Ability to Mummy). It has been said that they swallow those who get too close and turn them into mummies. They like to eat gold nuggets.

Wait, so Salamence…

The Sliggoo begin to attack again, having been powered up by the rain. Waves of Muddy Water crash into the monks and their Pokémon, knocking them off their feet. The Water-type Pokémon fight back the hardest, the Sharpedo attacking with a strong snap of its jaws, Slowbro bringing down other Sliggoo with its range of Special attacks, Swampert rocking the ground with bouts of Earthquake.

Daehyun squints through the water as the Sliggoo seem to flee back where they came, back into the swamps.

Then, a loud bellow that sounds like a moan of pain echoes throughout the forest. Daehyun can only stare, trying not to lose his balance, as a much larger shape emerges from the forest. A beam of Dragon Pulse fires from its mouth, missing Salamence by an inch, nearly searing a hole in its wings. Salamence roars back in dissatisfaction as Daehyun places a hand on its slippery body.

The figure advances, nothing but a silhouette in the torrential rain. It bellows once more, then fires off a Power Whip attack.

The last thing Daehyun sees is a green length of Power Whip attack, slamming hard into his body and knocking the wind out of him.

*

“I refuse to believe he’s dead.”

Irene shoots him an annoyed look. She looks tired. “It was a case of robbery, Baekhyun. A case of desperation.”

“Who the hell would ing kill a Leader just to rob him?”

“I said this case is closed, Baekhyun. And so is Seulgi’s!” Irene stands up from her seat, her chair pushed back with a loud screech against the marble flooring. Baekhyun, startled, takes a step back. Irene’s Scizor’s claws open and shut with menacing clinking sounds.

“So, what? Even if, for an instant, we say Jongdae is murdered, you’re just going to let his killer go like that?”

“Essentially, yes. This is a petty, small-time thief. We have no reason –”

“Jongin found something.” Baekhyun says, clenching his jaw, teeth gritted.

“Well, so did I. I found you annoying the moment I laid eyes on you.”

“Will you ing shut up for a moment?”

“Is this how you speak to your Champion?”

Irene’s voice comes out like thunder. Her eyes flash dangerously, fury written on her features. Scizor approaches Baekhyun, in a crouched position, wings about to take off. Baekhyun’s Azumarill, similarly, hops into a defensive stance, to protect Baekhyun if necessary.

“Fine,” Irene says, slumping back in her seat. Scizor steps back. Azumarill stays on its guard. “Be that way. Go investigate if you want. No one is going to back you up if you run into any trouble.”

Baekhyun nods, then turns his back.

“Right, we have a challenger at 9pm today. Be back before then.”

*

Jongdae looks down at his Poképhone, turning it around in his hands. He should have known. Jimin had saved his number in Jongdae’s phone and deleted everyone else’s.

He texts the number, and awaits directions. It’s seven fifty-nine in the morning – Jimin had shoved enough money into his hands for a single-night visit at the inn – and now Jongdae is preparing to leave.

Jongdae ensures he’s got everything, including that rather warm cloak made out of random patches of cloth, and begins to walk out of the inn, returning the key, and making for Sparkridge on foot. He needs to get to the mainland via ferry first anyways. After which, he just needs to take the train from Heatstorm station and head for Marshhusk. Then he can use the Storage System and get Oricorio out from its ball, then he can Fly back to Sparkridge.

Excellent plan.

He just wishes that Jimin’s plans for him are as excellent as his own.

Jimin’s text arrives just as Jongdae steps through the doors of the inn.

I want you to capture Zapdos. Do it in a week’s time and text me when you have done so.

So, giving away Zeraora’s location isn’t enough? He wants Jongdae to capture another Legendary? A Legendary that he swore to protect?

That is for saving your life. For saving the girl’s life, I want you to keep all this silent. Pretend you have amnesia. You will not recognize a single one of us. All of us is to be allowed safe passage through Sparkridge. You will recognize us by the hexagonal logo on our s or backs.

What can they do if…

Ping.

Should you showcase your ingratefulness, Sparkridge will be obliterated in seconds. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Obliterated in seconds? Jimin had threatened him with the same thing before. Could it be true? That they have the power to destroy Sparkridge in mere seconds? He’s seen them cut off Seulgi’s fingers. He’s heard about them in action.

The terrorist organization, Team BTS. He is sure of it now.

Now, Jongdae has got to go fulfil Jimin’s wishes.

*******************************************

Pokedex entries gathered:

Feraligator

Feraligatr

Primarina

Primarina

Marshadow

Marshadow

Swampert -> Mega Swampert 

Swampert ->   Mega Swampert

Goomy 

Goomy

Sliggoo

Sliggoo

Salamence

Salamence

Infernape

Infernape

Delphox

Delphox

Cofagrigus

Cofagrigus

Cameo appearance:

Fraxure (door knocker shape)

Fraxure

Audino (one of the monks' Pokemon) -> Mega Audino

Audino-> Mega Audino

Slowbro (one of the monks' Pokemon) -> Mega Slowbro

Slowbro-> Mega Slowbro

Venusaur (one of the monks' Pokemon) -> Mega Venusaur

Venusaur-> Mega Venusaur

Zigzagoon (child's Pokemon)

Zigzagoon

Dwebble (child's Pokemon)

Dwebble

Escavalier (Jimin's Pokemon)

Escavalier

Emolga (Jongdae's Pokemon)

Emolga

Altaria (one of the monks' Pokemon) -> Mega Altaria 

Altaria-> Mega Altaria

Beedrill (one of the monks' Pokemon) -> Mega Beedrill

Beedrill-> Mega Beedrill

Sharpedo (one of the monks' Pokemon) -> Mega Sharpedo

Sharpedo-> Mega Sharpedo

Ferrothorn (Seokjin's Pokemon)

Ferrothorn

Zapdos (mentioned by Jimin)

Zapdos

Zeraora (mentioned by Jongdae)

Zeraora

Oricorio (mentioned by Jongdae)

Pom-Pom Style

*********************************************

Daehyun's Pokemon:

-Whimsicott. Level 35. Type: Grass/Fairy. Moves learned: Giga Drain, Tailwind, Poison Powder, Leech Seed.
-Infernape. Level 35. Type: Fire/Fighting. Moves learned: Close Combat, Flame Wheel, Torment, Feint.
-Salamence. Level 35. Type: Dragon/Flying. Moves learned: Crunch, Dragon Claw, Focus Energy, Zen Headbutt
-Plusle. Level 34. Type: Electric. Moves learned: Swift, Discharge, Baton Pass, Charge.
-Larvesta. Level 23. Type: Fire/Bug. Moves learned: Ember, String Shot, Absorb, Take Down.

Youngjae's Pokemon:

-Petilil. Level 33. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Helping Hand, Aromatherapy, Stun Spore, Giga Drain.
-Lopunny. Level 33. Type: Normal. Moves learned: Jump Kick, Agility, Return, Baton Pass.
-Delphox. Level 33. Type: Fire. Moves learned: Psybeam, Lucky Chant, Light Screen, Mystical Fire.
-Marowak. Level 27. Type: Ground. Moves learned: Rage, Leer, Bone Club, False Swipe.
-Misdreavus. Level 28. Type: Ghost. Moves learned: Hex, Mean Look, Confuse Ray, Psybeam.

Jongup's Pokemon:

-Helioptile. Level 36. Type: Normal/Electric. Moves learned: Razor Wind, Parabolic Charge, Bulldoze, Thunder Wave.
-Lucario. Level 39. Type: Fighting/Steel. Moves learned: Me First, Aura Sphere, Swords Dance, Bone Rush.
-Araquanid. Level 38. Type: Water/Bug. Moves learned: Crunch, Leech Life, Bubblebeam, Aqua Ring.
-Serperior. Level 36. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Leaf Blade, Growth, Leaf Tornado, Slam.
-Minun. Level 32. Type: Electric: Moves learned: Charge, Copycat, Discharge, Fake Tears.

Junhong's Pokemon:

-Clefairy. Level 34. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Wake-Up Slap, Metronome, Minimize, Cosmic Power.
-Weepinbell. Level 36. Type: Grass/Poison. Moves learned: Vine Whip, Sweet Scent, Knock Off, Acid.
-Meditite. Level 37. Type: Fighting/Psychic. Moves learned: Hi Jump Kick, Reversal, Psych Up, Acupressure
-Feraligator. Level 32. Type: Water. Moves learned: Ice Fang, Flail, Water Gun, Crunch.
-Cofagrigus. Level 31. Type: Ghost. Moves learned: Scary Face, Ominous Wind, Hex, Curse.

Yongguk's Pokemon:

-Rufflet. Level 37. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Tailwind, Defog, Slash, Aerial Ace
-Houndoom. Level 39. Type: Fire/Dark. Moves learned: Beat Up, Fire Fang, Howl, Faint Attack
-Ariados. Level 37. Type: Bug/Poison. Moves learned: Infestation, er Punch, Agility, Swords Dance
-Sceptile. Level 36. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Fury Cutter, Leaf Blade, Agility, Slam.

Himchan's Pokemon:

-Floette. Level 33. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Fairy Wind, Petal Blizzard, Grassy Terrain, Wish.
-Gardevoir. Level 35. Type: Fairy/Psychic. Moves learned: Draining Kiss, Imprison, Psychic, Calm Mind.
-Primarina. Level 34. Type: Water. Moves learned: Double Slap, Sing, Disarming Voice, Sparkling Aria.
-Mightyena. Level 34. Type: Dark. Moves learned: Assurance, Roar, Embargo, Swagger.
-Fearow. Level 30. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Aerial Ace, Roost, Assurance, Agility