This Theatre's On Fire!

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

omg i just realized that i gave junhong totodile. Totodile. Totomato. i cant believe i didnt notice.

i swear idt i'll post so frequently nowadays cos i swear only singapore has project work as a subject for a levels i come home with a headache every day. the type that needs paracetamol

so i'll try to write this during my pw sessions lmao

and because of pw which is like around 8hours of my day with a one hour break, i ING MISSED TRAINCE EP 1 I NEARLY CRIED I SWEAR AND V LIVE DOESNT UPLOAD IT SO IDK WHAT HAPPENED

sorry im just super sad about it thanks for hearing me out here's the next chapter

*********************

By the time they reach Stratuseon, it’s late afternoon and Daehyun’s belly is growling. He’s ready to check into the nearest Pokemon Centre dorms and go to sleep. And grab some lunch while he’s at it.

They end up in a hole-in-the-wall café, serving excellent bibimbap, according to Himchan, who is apparently familiar with the area.

“This side of the city is Stratuseon,” Himchan says. “And the other side is Gumtree.” He points out, gesturing towards an airport in the distance, hidden by tall, flashy buildings. “Yeah, there’s like, this border there.”

They wolf down their bibimbap, and Jongup announces that he’s going to train his Pokemon (as usual—he mentioned somewhere that it’s a sort of stress-reliever for him and his Pokemon). Yongguk and Himchan decide to follow him, leaving Daehyun, Youngjae and Junhong to check them into the dormitories.

Of course, Stratuseon is giant (has Daehyun mentioned this already?). It is home to many modern buildings, with condominiums that stretch to the sky, coated with bright hues of red, yellow, orange, pink…you name it, they have it. There are electronic billboards broadcasting trailers of latest movies (mainly those by Pokestar Studios—their movies are always a hit. Especially Brycen-Man. That series is Daehyun’s childhood). The streets are lined with boutiques and restaurants and sushi bars and everything flashy.

They find the Pokemon Centre eventually. It’s a small, dull building amongst the stunning lights and gaudy decorations, but gives off a homey feel as Daehyun and company step inside. They are greeted with the warm air of the heater, reminding them again that winter is at their doorstep. Youngjae is the one who does all the talking, getting them three double rooms as usual.

Cubone is already able to walk, though a little unsteady on its feet. It is constantly accompanied by Buneary and Fennekin, so that it wouldn’t fall or hurt itself. Petilil stays by Youngjae’s side. Youngjae jingles the keys in front of Daehyun’s face, and tosses Junhong one.

They head up to the dormitories first. They bathe, get changed and stuff the clothes into the washing machine provided. Youngjae decides that it’s time to explore Stratuseon.

“Especially their boutiques. , I really want to get my hands on a fedora,” Youngjae gushes as they ride the elevator down to the first floor. Chimchar and Bellsprout are the first ones out, the both of them who are now apparently good friends. Bagon and Cottonee are staying by Daehyun’s side, just like Petilil to Youngjae and Cleffa to Junhong’s.

“Why do you want to get your hands on a fedora,” Daehyun deadpans.

“I mean, fedoras are cool,” Junhong chirps, cutting in.

“You aren’t supposed to defend him,” Daehyun pouts. Junhong grins.

They walk out into Stratuseon’s busiest street, Rosescent Street, and immediately, they can smell the roses. Literally. The first stall they come to is one selling perfumes. Junhong left with an Aspear berry perfume and Youngjae with a Hondew berry perfume. Daehyun isn’t a big fan of perfumes.

The next stall is a cosmetics shop. Youngjae comes away with a face mask with Salac berry essence. To, well…it supposedly makes his skin whiter or something.

They go around shopping. Or, more accurately, window-shopping. They can’t actually carry all these things around with them, so Youngjae and Junhong can only stare longingly (with their faces plastered to the glass window) at the luxurious waistcoats and jewellery as well as belts and Piloswine-skin furs. Daehyun is enamoured by the restaurants, on the other hand. They sell what looks to be high-class food—stuff that they’d never find back in Springfall.

“That’s it. We’re eating convenience store food tonight,” Youngjae declares after looking at the prices.

They make their way down towards Actonit Street, many concert halls and theatres lined up. People clad in beautiful dresses and handsome suits walk in and out of the halls, chattering about the latest musical or fashion show or concert that they’ve just seen.

“Come one, come all to Stratuseon Regional Musical Theatre!” a young woman calls, dressed in a blue, puffy dress, the lace swishing around her ankles. She cups , calling out to whoever would listen, her Glameow prancing around, showing off its moves. “A new performance by Park Bogum has come all the way!”

A new performance?

“Hey, let’s go check it out,” Youngjae grins, guidebook in hand (since when did he take that out?). “Musicals are one of the attractions in Stratuseon. The guidebook says that we can’t leave without seeing one!”

“You really trust that guidebook of yours, don’t you?” Daehyun says.

“Yes. Written by Lee Hongbin! You know, that famous author!” Youngjae’s eyes are sparkling as they walk through the sparkly entrance.

“Usually, a guidebook author doesn’t become famous?” Junhong looks down at Totodile and Meditite, who are looking around in wonder.

“He doesn’t just write guidebooks. He writes novels too,” Youngjae says. “You know, I should talk to Yongguk about this.”

“Huh,” Junhong and Daehyun say in unison. Daehyun doesn’t think that Yongguk is the type who reads novels—the guy always has his nose deep in a non-fiction book on Pokemon history or something—but he doesn’t tell Youngjae. They approach the receptionist and ask for three tickets, which they receive (they’ve got their hands on the last three, apparently), and are promptly led to the musical hall. They flash their tickets and enter into the dark room.

They’re one of the last ones to settle into the theatre. Daehyun’s eyes adjust to the light and he takes in the grand sight of the theatre. They’re in category 4 seats, sitting way higher than that of CAT 1, 2 and 3, so their view of the stage is rather limited. The lights dim even more until the only source of light is the spotlight beaming its light onto the curtain.

“Welcome, one and all, to Love in the Moonlight, our beloved Park Bogum’s newest musical! Now, we welcome our main actor, Park Bogum, on stage!”

The curtains are swept to the side, revealing an elaborate backdrop and the main actor walking up on stage.

You know, with all the brochures and everything, Daehyun had believed that Park Bogum was a human.

Well, said Park Bogum is a…a Milotic.

*

“Teach me how to fight.”

Himchan looks up at Yongguk resolutely, his Flabebe, Ralts and Popplio mirroring his expression. Poochyena has its tongue out, eyes trained on Yongguk. If this isn’t Himchan they’re talking about, Yongguk may have found it even remotely funny.

“You do know how to fight, Himchan. If you didn’t know, you wouldn’t be here,” Yongguk says, eyes shifting over to Jongup, who’s picked a nice spot in the tall grass and is searching for wild Pokemon.

“No, I don’t know how to fight. My Pokemon do,” Himchan says. “But without a good Trainer, they can’t show their true potential.”

“I see,” Yongguk says. “To fight, one must first have the spirit.”

“The spirit? Isn’t fighting about getting stronger after every battle?” Himchan tilts his head in confusion. Yongguk tuts.

“The Trainer himself must also be prepared to participate in the fight, in both body and soul,” Yongguk explains. He notices the rustling of tall grass out of the corner of his eye. Something’s going to leap out. He just knows it. He tells as much to Himchan, and nearly sighs as he sees the blood drain from Himchan’s face.

Before Yongguk can say another word, out comes a Sunkern.

Sunkern. Level 11. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Mega Drain, Grasswhistle, Ingrain, Growth. Ability: Solar Power (Under strong sunlight, Special Attack is increased but the Pokemon suffers damage). It suddenly falls out of the sky in the morning. A year after a cold summer, their population explodes. 

the yellow Pokemon bouncing high into the sky, nearly landing on Himchan, if not for Flabebe knocking it away with a Vine Whip. Himchan flinches and Yongguk watches as Popplio screeches out a Disarming Voice at the Sunkern. With their superior levels, they knock the Sunkern out. All without Himchan issuing a single command.

“I see,” Yongguk mumbles to himself. “Spinarak!”

Without warning, Spinarak sends a shot of spider web in Himchan’s direction. All his Pokemon stop in their tracks, unable to act.

Well, all except Poochyena, that is. The wolf Pokemon throws itself in front of the spider web’s path and ends up getting bound instead of Himchan. It falls to the ground in a sticky cocoon, snarling and snapping its jaws at the thread. “W-What was that?” Himchan explodes.

“Caught by surprise, your Pokemon don’t know how to respond,” Yongguk says. “You, as the Trainer, has to know what to do to keep both you and your Pokemon safe.”

“Oh,” Himchan sounds pretty dejected now.

“Anyways, we should concentrate on getting your Pokemon’s reflexes even faster first,” Yongguk says, then turns towards Jongup. “Hey! Up-ah!”

Jongup finishes up the Skorupi he’s fighting and walks over, a triumphant Servine standing with him. “Yes?”

“Himchannie here needs a sparring partner,” Yongguk says, stepping back.

He chuckles to himself when he sees Himchan’s eyes widen like saucers.

*

The musical was dazzling, or at least, Daehyun thought so, retelling a magical love story between Ra-on and Yong, two Milotic. Honestly, he doesn’t remember much of the details, but Youngjae and Junhong come out of the theatre gushing about the beautiful scales of the Milotic that glimmered under the differently-coloured spotlights.

“Ahem!”

Daehyun looks up to find them stopped by a man who looks to be about in his sixties, clutching a cane, a fedora perched on his head, sunglasses above his eyes, covering his brows. He’s dressed in a dandy, checked shirt with a waistcoat (what’s with this city and waistcoats?) and a brown belt. His feet are clad in expensive brown leather shoes. He is accompanied by his Combee, the Pokemon flitting its wings.

“Uh…yes?” Youngjae asks. Junhong straightens his shoulders.

“You want to be on the stage, right? You want to be washed in the spotlight, is that right?”

Not exactly what Youngjae and Junhong were talking about, but close enough.

“Well, you’ve come to the right city!” the man grins. It’s a little creepy if you ask Daehyun. “And you’ve come to the right man!”

“Uh…huh?” Youngjae sounds more confused than threatened now.

“For you aspiring musical performers, I, the President of the Pokemon Fan Club, gifts you with this Fashion Case! One each!” He digs out three medium-sized pink heart-shaped containers out of his bag and hands one to each person.

“Step right this way if you want to participate in a musical! Come on, it won’t hurt! There’s another show about to come on at eight! You have half an hour to get ready!”

Without further ado, Youngjae, Junhong and Daehyun are dragged past the barrier denoting the restricted area and into the dressing rooms, the door slamming behind them.

*

Himchan’s palms are clammy. He can feel every drop of perspiration on his forehead, rolling down to his chin. His defending Pokemon, Popplio, is up against Jongup’s Servine.

Servine. Level 19. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Tackle, Growth, Leaf Tornado, Wrap. Ability: Overgrow. When it gets dirty, its leaves can't be used in photosynthesis, so it always keeps itself clean.

Well, that was useless information. Servine doesn’t move, only scratching at the ground, as if anticipating Popplio’s attack.

“In this situation, you need to know when to use what move,” Yongguk says. “Servine is a Grass-type, and Popplio is a Water-type, means you have a horrible type matchup.”

“And do I switch out?”

“That’s entirely up to you,” Yongguk says, lips curling up into a smile.

“Uh, okay,” Himchan looks down at Popplio’s moves. Icy Wind, Disarming Voice, Water Gun, Baby-Doll Eyes. Is there anything he can potentially use? Wait a minute. Jongup begins to look bored, but Servine keeps its defensive stance. “Uh…uh…Icy Wind!”

Popplio sends a blast of cold wind towards Servine, the frosty wind so cold that the Pokemon are both pelted by tiny shards of ice. Servine retaliates with a Leaf Tornado attack, mixing the ice with the leaves and smacking both the ice and leaves into Popplio, leaving the seal Pokemon fainted on the ground.

“Your execution was sloppy, that’s why Popplio got hurt by its own attack. Servine managed to use your attack to its own advantage,” Yongguk says, watching as Himchan heals Popplio right back up with a Potion or two.

“Alright, let’s try this again. Jongup, can you bring out another Pokemon?”

Himchan watches as Servine steps back and Lucario steps forward. It appears to be the evolved version of Riolu.

Lucario. Level 23. Type: Fighting/Steel. Moves learned: Aura Sphere, Swords Dance, Foresight, Feint. Ability: Inner Focus. By reading the auras of all things it can tell how others are feeling from over half a mile away. 

As usual, Lucario waits for Himchan’s next Pokemon, Ralts, to make a move. Ralts is a Fairy/Psychic typing, so it should have an edge over Lucario. Yongguk tells as much to Himchan, and Himchan orders Ralts to use Confusion.

Ralts sends a psychic wave towards Lucario, and Lucario takes the hit, cringing, a hand coming up to grab at its head.

“Follow up with another attack!” Yongguk shouts.

“U-Uh, Disarming Voice!” Himchan, panicked, yells. Ralts lets out a wail, sending sound waves at Lucario. Lucario can’t dodge the attack and takes it. A blue ball of energy forms in its hands and it points straight at Ralts.

“Aura Sphere!”

“Ralts, dodge it!”

Ralts leaps up just as the sphere blasts off from Lucario’s paws, the sphere hitting the ground and Himchan is about to shout out his next command when the Aura Sphere ricochets off the soil, spraying up a blanket of dirt and crashes into Ralt’s back. The Pokemon lurches forward, taken completely by surprise, and retaliates with a Magical Leaf attack, the leaves from the surrounding trees glowing with an ominous purple colour and stabbing in Lucario’s direction.

“Swords Dance!” Lucario roars, powering itself up as its body begins to glow with an orange light. “Feint!”

“You have Double Team, use it!” Yongguk urges. Himchan relays the command to his Pokemon and Ralts creates a double of itself, and manages to bait Lucario into hitting the double, the double created from psychic energy fizzling out.

“Confusion again!”

Ralts sends another psychic wave at Lucario, but Lucario dodges it, ducking below the wave and smashing its fist into Ralts’ stomach, sending Ralts flying backwards and into Himchan.

“That’s the end of it,” Yongguk says, clapping his hands. Lucario backs off and Himchan gathers Ralts into his arms. “That was not bad, though. Great improvement from Popplio’s fight. Maybe it’s because of the better type matchup.”

Himchan nods, looking down at Ralts, the Pokemon relaxing in his hold.

“Alright, this time, let’s train against wild Pokemon. Thanks, Jongup.” Jongup bows and goes back to his training.

*

“It looks hideous.”

At this, Buneary bites Daehyun’s finger, the boy screaming his lungs out as Youngjae scowls. “Excuse you, Fennekin is beautiful.”

Youngjae has decked Fennekin in props. A top hat sits on its head and ribbons are tied around its ears (mismatching colours, at that. The left ear has a blue ribbon and the right ear has a pink ribbon). Its paws are powdered in glitter and it carries a cane in its mouth. White angel’s wings are strapped to its body.

Junhong, meanwhile, has already decorated his Pokemon that is participating in the musical—Cleffa. Cleffa has on a pearl necklace, and holds a maracus in one hand and an electric guitar in the other. It wears a construction worker’s hat atop its head and around its waist is a black belt. The props that Junhong had chosen make no sense but Daehyun figures it’s the beauty of it.

Meanwhile, Daehyun has picked out a sensible style for his Chimchar. He hadn’t wanted to participate, but the fire Pokemon had given him such a pleading look that Daehyun just gave in.

“Are you done?” the President pokes his head in through the door.

“Yup!” Youngjae and Junhong answer simultaneously.

“Then come this way!” the President throws the door open, and bright light from the hallway spills into the room. Grinning excitedly and chatting with each other about the musical like primary school children. Daehyun trails behind—his Chimchar already ahead with the equally-excited Fennekin and Cleffa. There are other Trainers with their own Pokemon ready to shine on stage, all dressed in props of every nature.

“And now, it’s time to present…the folk tale of the Tapu!”

Folk tale of the Tapu? Wait, are the Pokemon supposed to know how to perform? What’s happening? Daehyun watches as the music begins to play and the Pokemon, as if in a trance, respond and hop onto stage, beginning to dance to the music as if they’ve rehearsed it a thousand times before.

Daehyun watches as Chimchar is prancing about, showing off slick dance moves that Daehyun has never seen before. Something feels off, that he didn’t feel before. Beside him, Cottonee begins swaying as well, and that’s when Daehyun knows something’s up.

The song reaches a high point and smoke appears on stage, blasted through vents on the flooring. Daehyun watches the entire musical unfold from behind the curtain. Well, the Pokemon look like they’re having fun, so there’s no big deal there.

“What’s wrong? You look like you’re on edge,” Youngjae comments, rocking back and forth on the balls and heels of his feet. Daehyun turns around to find Youngjae speaking to Junhong, not him. Junhong shrugs, but his shoulders are tensed.

All is well. That is, until a Fletchinder on the stage sends a fireball crashing into the audience seats. Daehyun caught the motion out of the corner of his eye, and watches as panic bursts out amongst the audience.

“What the—mmrpfh!” Daehyun nearly got his words out if not for someone or something throwing a hand over his mouth. Then, a horrible pain blooms from his chest, slamming into him like a derailed train as he sees something protruding from his chest, covered in his blood. A blade of some sort.

Daehyun coughs, and red liquid drips from his lips. The blade is roughly pulled out of his body and he crumples to the ground, lying on his front. His eyelids start to feel like lead and he can feel the warm liquid soaking the front of his shirt.

The music stops suddenly, and all Daehyun can hear is the frantic shouting and thunderous footsteps. All he can see as his eyes begin to close is a pair of expensive, brown leather shoes.

*

People are running. They are screaming their heads off, and all Youngjae can see is the appearance of Pokemon backstage that look a little more than bloodthirsty.

“Youngjae!”

Bellsprout sends a Vine Whip attack at the Scyther, twining around the bladed arms and pulling it back, forcing Scyther to lose its balance. The Scyther sends its other blade slashing towards Bellsprout’s vine, effectively cutting it off.

That pause from the Scyther’s attack is enough for Youngjae’s own Pokemon to retaliate. Buneary’s ear springs up, slamming into the Scyther. Youngjae digs for his Pokedex, finding it in his bag.

Scyther. Level 21. Type: Bug/Flying. Moves learned: Wing Attack, Agility, False Swipe, Pursuit. Ability: Technician (Boosts the Pokemon’s weaker moves). While young, they live together deep in the mountains, training themselves in how to fight with their scythes and move at high speeds.

“Water Gun!”

From Totodile’s mouth sprays a jet of water at Scyther, knocking the Pokemon back as it raises its arms to defend itself against the blast. Totodile then swings its head back and crunches its jaws down on Scyther’s leg, sharp teeth penetrating its exoskeleton.

“Fennekin!” A small shape bounds up to Youngjae, props falling off its body, leaving only a stray blue ribbon on its ear. It hops in front of Youngjae just as Scyther shakes Totodile off its leg. It turns towards Youngjae and raises its scythe-like claws again.

“Flame Charge!”

Fennekin dives at Scyther with its flame-covered body. Youngjae watches as Fennekin, with its increased speed, launches itself at Scyther again, dodging its blades.

“Whoa!”

A Poliwag that had dived at Youngjae is whacked away with Bellsprout’s Vine Whip, and Petilil finishes it off with a Mega Drain.

Daehyun.

Youngjae turns around and begins to look for his best friend, and ducks in time to avoid losing his head. A blade from a Bisharp cuts across his head, slicing through the air with an audible swish. A few flecks of red land on Youngjae’s face, and he just stares at the Bisharp and its blood-covered blade.

A distance away is Daehyun’s motionless form, blood pooling on the floor around him as Chimchar is panicking over its fallen Trainer, with Bagon and Cottonee both fending off Pokemon. Where did these Pokemon even come from? Why are they trying to hurt—

No, a voice speaks in Youngjae’s mind. They’re not out to hurt. They’re out to kill.

Youngjae has never been faced with death shoved right in his face before. Honestly, his heart is going a mile a minute, because the Bisharp looks ing scary in the dimly-lit backstage.

Behind the Bisharp, Youngjae catches a glimpse of the Trainer.

“You!” Youngjae’s eyes widen, and lets out a shriek as Meditite blocks a blow from Bisharp. Junhong stands behind him, Cleffa on his shoulder, body devoid of all the props. They are joined by Totodile, Bellsprout, Petilil, Fennekin (which has disposed of the Scyther) and Buneary.

The President of the Pokemon Fan Club stands before them, still dressed impeccably in his waistcoat, belt and fedora and his cane. Behind him stands his Pokemon Rapidash, the flames from its fiery mane illuminating the backstage. Youngjae glances around, there are casualties lying on the ground, but most of other people have gone. It is near silence.

“Yes, me,” the President states simply, a menacing grin on his face. His entire demeanour has changed. The Rapidash neighs as if in agreement, stomping its hoof on the ground. “It’s time to die, everyone. Rapidash, Fire Blast.”

He’s going to burn the entire theatre down at this rate. Startled, Youngjae can only stare at the man who is going to be his killer.

“Don’t move.”

Rapidash stops in its tracks. Youngjae’s eyes get wider. Junhong is equally shocked.

A Magmortar is standing with its hand pressed to the President’s back. A woman is standing beside the Magmortar, hands clasped behind the back of her head lazily.

“Seriously,” the woman says, sighing. Her face is covered with a black mask with white beads at the edges. Her head is covered with a black top hat with a pink ribbon. Her clothes are nothing short of gaudy—shiny sequins decorate the spaghetti straps of her top. Her miniskirt is laced with sparkling gold, and her gloves are full of glitter. Youngjae thinks that this must be a thing.

“Comfey, Healing Wish,” she says to her Pokemon floating around Daehyun. There is the sound of a ringing bell and Youngjae watches as Daehyun’s wounds close. The woman glances back at the President, who is now holding both his hands up. His cane clatters to the ground.

“It’s you,” the President spits, his voice full of venom. Comfey goes around healing up all the casualties around the backstage.

“Of course it’s me,” the woman grins. “Please, the Siren Primarina appears when the trouble is afoot. You’re coming with me, old geezer.”

“What?” the President splutters. The look of disbelief goes as quickly as it had come. He starts laughing maniacally. The President beckons a Pokemon forth, the Pokemon darting across the stage to the curtain.

“I said don’t move!” the woman hisses, and the President lets out a wince as the Magmortar’s hand digs deeper into his back, and Youngjae can hear the imaginary sizzling sound.

“Electrode, Explosion!”

The President’s words are sharp and resonate clearly in the silence of the theatre.

A bright flash of light blinds Youngjae as he throws his arms up to shield himself from the impact.

*

“What the hell,” Jongin looks down from the back of his Starmie as it floats through the night sky. It’s slightly past eight at night and Jongin and Sehun are just taking a night flight with their Pokemon. Below him is the city of Stratuseon, Sehun’s city, and he certainly isn’t expecting a building on fire, smoke billowing from the structure.

“, what the heck,” Sehun curses. He urges his Noivern into a dive, and Jongin’s Starmie does the same. It’s pandemonium on the ground, with people running out of the building, screaming and yelling. Pokemon are scattering everywhere as well, the smaller ones almost getting trampled beneath the flurry of feet.

They land safely on the ground a distance away from the building. The Oakre Regional Musical Theatre is in flames, but the building is still standing.

“Swanna, Rain Dance!” Sehun throws open a Pokeball, the Swanna emerging from the capsule.

With a caw, Swanna spreads its wings and rainclouds begin to gather atop the building. Before long, the water droplets falling from the sky puts out the fire, till nothing but hot cinders remain. Cautiously, Jongin and Sehun head into the theatre, Pokemon by their side.

It’s quiet—disturbingly so. Sehun sees a fallen figure up ahead, and he clenches his teeth as he notices the person isn’t breathing and that there’s a large wound on his chest, presumably stabbed with a blade. His expression is frozen in shock. Incredibly terrifying. His Pokemon is lying dead beside him as well, the Starly lying face down on the carpet.

Sehun and Jongin venture further into the theatre, till they hear a bumping sound. Both of them tense. Swanna and Starmie enter a defensive stance, ready to attack.

“Holy Arceus!”

Both Sehun and the intruder scream as they come face to face. Jongin’s Starmie is quick to respond, firing off a Charge Beam at the boy’s chest, knocking the boy backwards and stunning him.

“Oh . Wait. I know that kid,” Sehun stares in horror at the boy that Starmie’s just struck. “Get him to the hospital, now!” Jongin releases Alakazam, and the boy’s twitching body floats into the air. His Pokemon look too shocked to attack. That is, until his Fennekin yelps and tries to bite Sehun, but Swanna stands before its Trainer protectively, deflecting the bite.

“He’s not an enemy! Fennekin!”

Another tall boy carrying a victim emerges from backstage, running up the stairs, past the CAT 3 seats towards them.

“What’s happened here?” Jongin asks, watching as the Fennekin growls menacingly at the two of them, but is now standing behind the boy. Behind the boy is an army of pre-evolved Pokemon. They must be belonging to the three of them.

“I-It’s a long story,” Junhong says. “The guy behind the whole thing is there.” He points to the stage. “He’s behind the curtains.”

Jongin exchanges glances with Sehun. Should they believe the boy? What if he’s the one behind this? What if he’s just bluffing to try to get out of there…?

But the Fennekin listening to the boy is probably proof enough that he’s trustworthy.

“Alright. Get out immediately,” Sehun says, shining. He remembers that kid as well. That’s three of them. He wonders where the others are.

“Hmm,” Sehun says, pushing the heavy, velvet curtains aside, revealing an old man bound by ropes, his Scyther, Bisharp, Electrode, Poliwag and Rapidash also knocked out by his side. That kid from earlier managed to take him out with those Pokemon? It doesn’t seem likely. Jongin looks at Sehun, and realization dawns on Sehun’s face.

“The Siren Primarina,” Sehun says, shaking his head. “It’s her work.”

“The Siren Primarina? First I’ve heard of her,” Jongin says, hands in his pockets, relaxing a little now.

“The vigilante that supposedly keeps the streets of Stratuseon safe,” Sehun says. “Her methods are unorthodox and sometimes violent, but she gets the job done. Honestly, we should be hunting her down and arresting her, but it’s not like she’s committed homicide yet, and the people she target actually deserve it.”

“Huh. Sounds pretty dangerous,” Jongin says. He makes a sweeping gesture towards the other unconscious people on the stage. “Let’s get them all to the hospital.”

*

“Phew,” Himchan grabs his kneecaps as he bends over, covered in perspiration. He has known that Jongup is a good battler, but he didn’t know that he was good to this extent. His Pokemon have barely suffered any damage, yet most of his Pokemon have been healed more than once.

“That’s enough for today,” Jongup says, Helioptile landing at his feet from a graceful arc after he executed its Quick Attack, effectively knocking out Himchan’s Flabebe. Himchan had battled against wild Pokemon and his Pokemon got stronger, their reflexes got faster, and they are more used to executing attacks and dodging them. Yongguk, impressed at the improvement that Himchan had made, had called Jongup over so that Himchan can face the younger boy again.

Needless to say, Jongup had cleared out Himchan’s team so badly that Himchan wonders if the training had did literally nothing to his Pokemon, but Yongguk assures that Jongup’s Pokemon are just abnormally strong.

“Let’s head back. It’s almost nine,” Yongguk says.

However, a rustling sound startles all three of them. The rustle is followed by a stomping sound, as if something is storming their way through the forest. When Himchan lays eyes on the intruder, they widen and memories of his near-death experience flash across his eyes.

It’s the Shiftry from a few days ago. But why? Himchan thought that the Ariados had settled the Shiftry. But no, it’s roaming wild and free right in front of them.

“Lucario, Aura Sphere,” Jongup orders, sensing the threat, and Himchan watches as Lucario sends a ball of blue energy towards Shifty, smacking it in the face and Shiftry roars in anger, sending an Extrasensory attack Lucario’s way. Lucario gets hit hard by the attack and faints almost immediately. Jongup returns Lucario to its Pokeball and sends out Dewpider.

“Rufflet, Wing Attack!”

Yongguk’s booming voice is right by Himchan’s ear as he watches Rufflet smacking the Shiftry with its wing, damaging it well, and Dewpider releases a shot of sticky thread at the Shiftry, slowing it down.

Shiftry swipes at Rufflet, just missing the Pokemon by inches. Rufflet responds with a Fury Attack, driving its beak into Shiftry’s sides multiple times.

Himchan can only stand there as the Yongguk and Jongup battle the Shiftry. His legs are feeling like both jelly and lead at the same time. He’s frozen on the spot, unable to move. Ralts is calling him, horns glowing red. Flabebe is tugging at his arm, as if trying to get him to move.

“Himchan!”

Yongguk’s voice jolts Himchan out of his trance as Shiftry sends Razor Leaf his way, the sharp blades of leaves aimed at him and he braces himself as the leaves begin to cut through the air. The blades don’t come, though, because Ralts’ Confusion is enough to keep most of the leaves from moving in midair, dropping to the ground like dead flies. Popplio sends an Icy Wind towards the Shiftry, and only succeeds in slowing it down a fraction. It is still fast as ever, and it slaps Popplio hard with its leafy hands. Popplio sails through the air and lands on the ground in front of Himchan. Himchan scoops the Pokemon up into his arms.

Himchan drops to his knees, eyes fixated on the Shiftry as its branched arms managed to catch Rufflet off guard and slamming it into a tree. He watches as Shiftry sends a gale of wind strong enough to send Dewpider flying back, before following up with another Razor Leaf and stabbing it multiple times with the saw-toothed discs of green.

He’s so useless. Even after the training. There’s no way they can win this.

“Himchan! Run! Get the out of here!”

Even Yongguk’s words are like panicked bells ringing in his ears. He can’t even stand. Is this what fear feels like?

Ralts’ horns begin to glow bright red, even redder than earlier. Popplio begins to shake and twitch. A bright flash of light engulfs both Pokemon and Himchan shields his eyes from the light with his arm.

Just as Shiftry is about to hit him with another Razor Leaf attack, two Pokemon burst from the bright light, sending a combined Disarming Voice towards the Shiftry. The Shiftry buckles under the attack and it sends a Leaf Storm towards them, but Brionne freezes the leaves in ice with Icy Wind while Kirlia counterattacks with another Disarming Voice attack.

“Fairy Wind!” Himchan finally finds the voice in him and commands. Flabebe conjures up a gale of wind and sends the frozen leaves towards Shiftry, just like how Servine had used Leaf Tornado against Popplio earlier.

Shiftry’s battered body collapses to the ground, Brionne and Kirlia hopping back to Himchan’s side.

Brionne. Level 17. Type: Water. Moves learned: Aqua Jet, Disarming Voice, Icy Wind, Baby-Doll Eyes. Ability: Torrent.  A skilful dancer, it creates a sequence of water balloons as it dances, and briskly bombards its enemies.

Kirlia. Level 20. Type: Fairy/Psychic. Moves learned: Heal Pulse, Disarming Voice, Confusion, Magical Leaf. Ability: Trace. If its Trainer becomes happy, it overflows with energy, dancing joyously while spinning about.

“They evolved,” Yongguk looks down at the two new Pokemon, an injured Rufflet flying near his head. “You’re…you’re pretty amazing, huh, Himchan-ah.”

Brionne snuggles into his side and Kirlia stands before him, eyes morphed into crescents. “It was all my Pokemon’s effort, though.”

Jongup doesn’t say a word, but he’s looking in the direction of Stratuseon. Clouds of smoke rises high into the sky, staining the already-dark sky a deeper shade of grey.

“What’s happened…?” Himchan stares at Stratuseon as well.

“We have to go. Daehyun and the others might be in trouble,” Yongguk says. He’s trying to sound calm, but there’s an edge in his voice. Without another word, Jongup begins sprinting, with Yongguk and Himchan right behind him.

*

“How could this happen?!”

The nurses are running around, activating all emergency healing forces such as Chansey, Blissey, Audino and even Alomomola. Gurneys with people and Pokemon are wheeled into the hospital, doctors and nurses rushing around, footsteps pattering on the tiled flooring.

“Himchan! Yongguk! Jongup!”

Junhong runs up to them, looking frazzled, Cleffa on his shoulder and Meditite right beside him. “Youngjae and Daehyun—”

“Where are they?” Jongup asks, straight to the point.

Junhong presses his lips together into a thin line, then proceeds to lead them through the frenzy of medical personnel, all while explaining what had happened. They reach the ward furthest from the lift lobby, and push open the door, inside, finding four beds, Youngjae and Daehyun lying on the two nearest the entrance.

“Himchan, bring Kirlia.”

Kirlia goes to Jongup’s side, peering up at him curiously.

“Heal Pulse.”

The red horns on its head glow, and a pink wave spreads through the room. Almost instantly, as Junhong, Yongguk and Himchan watch, Daehyun’s face relaxes into a serene expression. Youngjae actually open his eyes.

“Oh my Arceus, Youngjae, you’re alive!” Himchan nearly squeezes the life out of Youngjae as the latter starts coughing.

“What the . Get off me,” Youngjae hisses. “I’m. Getting. Choked.”

Himchan releases him from his death grip, and Buneary leaps into Youngjae, burrowing its face into his chest. Petilil, Cubone and Fennekin look pretty relieved as well.

“What happened?” Yongguk asks.

“It was a…big mess,” Youngjae says, shaking his head. “Like, there was this musical and…” He retells the story to three of them, about how the musical was attacked by the President of the Pokemon Fan Club and he nearly blew up the whole theatre.

“There was a fire, though,” Himchan mumbles.

“Must have been another theatre that got attacked,” Junhong reasons.

“You don’t look like you’ve got any injuries. What’re you in for?” Yongguk asks.

“I got hit by a Charge Beam,” Youngjae says. “To the chest. It’s a miracle I didn’t die. I swear I saw Yveltal for a moment there.”

There is a groan from behind them, and all of them turn to find Daehyun opening his eyes and trying to sit up, propping himself up on his elbows.

“Hey, you shouldn’t move yet,” Youngjae says. “Arceus, Daehyun, you nearly died.”

“What’s he in for?” HImchan asks, jabbing a thumb at him.

“Bisharp’s Metal Claw to the chest,” Jongup says. “It’ll hurt, but he’ll live.”

“And how do you know that?”

Jongup shrugs.

“What’s…why’s everyone here?” Daehyun squints at the new crowd, a relieved Chimchar slamming into him in a hug. He doesn’t even flinch when the Chimchar’s weight should have opened his wound.

“You’re welcome,” Himchan says, rolling his eyes, a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

They then engage in small talk, about where the three of them have gone, the fact that they have booked Pokemon Centre dorms and the room keys are with Youngjae. Jongup assures the injured that the uninjured would settle breakfast tomorrow and that they should focus on getting well. The other and final topic…

“We’re going to challenge Stratuseon’s Gym tomorrow,” Yongguk says. “At least, Himchan will.”

“Huh?”

“Yeah,” Junhong nods. “Himchan is going to challenge tomorrow.”

“Wait, what? Since when did I agree to this?” Himchan narrows his eyes.

“You didn’t,” Youngjae singsongs. “We signed everyone up. Double battles.”

“Double. Battles,” Himchan stares at him.

“Think of it as a team-bonding experience,” Youngjae says. He looks way too cheerful for someone who’s just had a near-death experience. Yet again. “I realize we always hang out in the same groups, so I paired myself with Yongguk, Himchan with Junhong and Daehyun with Jongup.”

“Wait, why the am I paired with him?” Daehyun points at Jongup, who has an impassive expression on his face.

“Dude, Jongup’s, like, ing strong,” Junhong drawls. “If you’re paired with him, you’re bound to win. And I feel like I’d be the one tanking here.” He side-eyes Himchan, who whacks his head.

It ends up with the nurses chasing the uninjured from the ward, saying that they’re making too much noise. They agree to meet up at an eatery outside the Gym tomorrow morning, as soon as Youngjae and Daehyun are discharged from the hospital.

*

“Speak!”

Dongho’s arms are folded. He stares at the old man in front of him, his wrists cuffed together behind his back. He’s been stripped of his Pokemon as well as explosive devices he’s had strapped around his body. He had prepared to be suicide bomber if he was found out, it had seemed. The other person in the room besides Dongho is Jongin, who has his hands in his pockets, Starmie right beside him.

Just as Dongho is about to actually command his Pokemon, Exeggutor, to hurt the guy, the door opens and in steps the Champion. Everyone in the room turns to the door.

“And to what do I owe this pleasure?” Dongho says, almost sarcastically. If Irene minded, she didn’t show it.

“I heard that someone had tried to destroy the musical theatre,” Irene says, settling down in the seat beside Dongho’s, nodding towards Jongin in acknowledgement. “Oakre Regional, one of my favourite theatres.”

“Yes, it’s this guy right there,” Dongho says, gesturing towards the man who’s staring at Irene with a steely gaze. “Burned the whole place up, he did.”

“Hmm.” Irene rests her chin on her hands, elbows propped up on the table. “Do continue with the questioning, chief.”

Dongho turns back to the old man, Exeggutor looking pretty menacing under the dim lighting. “Now, won’t you tell me who ordered you to do this?”

“Do you think I’m going to tell you just like that?” the old man spits. Dongho’s expression darkens even more. “I’m no pushover, you whippersnapper!”

“What the —” Dongho howls in frustration. “Exeggutor, Psychic!”

The man screams in pain as Exeggutor releases a psychic attack on him, tormenting his mind. When the attack was over, the man is limp against his chair, the cuffs clinking against the leg.

“Your temper is something you must keep in check,” Irene says serenely, as she walks over to the man and places two of her fingers against his neck. “It appears that he is dead.”

“Wait, what? Dead?” Dongho stares at Irene. “That Psychic attack was toned down, though. How did he end up dead?” His shock gives way to panic. “Oh my …oh my …” he grabs at his hair. “How—” Exeggutor looks as panicked as its Trainer.

“Relax,” Irene says sternly, turning around to face Dongho with a rather scary expression on her face, one asking him to shut the up. “See this?” The man’s head lolls to the side, and clear liquid drips from the corner of his mouth. “Arbok poison. Potent stuff. But works after a long period of time. Only found in black markets.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“That this man deals with the black market, and that he had already ingested some poison before his capture. And he was prepared to die if he was captured,” Irene explains. “We are dealing with some very dangerous people.” She gestures towards Jongin. “Bring his body to the mortuary.”

Jongin obeys, moving along with his Starmie, the Pokemon levitating the man’s body with its psychic powers as Irene beckons for Dongho to follow him.

“What kind of people are we talking about?” Dongho seems almost afraid to ask. “Is it—”

“Yes, I believe it is the organization that was behind the Lockdown many years ago,” Irene nods. “There has been suspicious activity for some time now. The Sharpedo attack on a group of teenagers in Rootwill just a while ago is part of them. We believe they have something to do with it. As well as the incident with the enraged Gyarados at Lake Mystic.”

“Hmm, what could be their motive, though?” Dongho mumbles to himself.

“We don’t know yet, but we want the police to be on their guard. Relay the message to the general of the force,” Irene says, stopping and turning to face Dongho. “Tell him to tighten security against places that are most possibly attacked—places that many people frequent.”

Dongho salutes her, and gets right to it, walking the other direction, disappearing past a corner. Irene looks back at her Scizor, gives a small smile, and then continues walking.

*

Pokedex entries gathered:

Sunkern

Sunkern

Servine

Servine

Lucario

Lucario

Scyther

Scyther

Brionne

Brionne

Kirlia

Kirlia

Other appearances: 

Glameow (advertiser's Pokemon dancing outside the Oakre Regional)

Glameow

Milotic (Park Bogum)

Milotic

Combee (one of President's Pokemon)

Combee

Fletchinder (Pokemon that started the chaos)

Fletchinder

Poliwag (one of President's Pokemon)

Poliwag

Bisharp (one of President's Pokemon)

Bisharp

Magmortar (Siren's Pokemon)

Magmortar

Comfey (Siren's Pokemon)

Comfey

Electrode (President's Pokemon)

Electrode

Starmie (Jongin's Pokemon)

Starmie

Swanna (Sehun's Pokemon)

Swanna

Starly (dead Trainer's dead Pokemon)

Starly

Exeggutor (Dongho's Pokemon)

Exeggutor

*

Daehyun's Pokemon:

-Cottonee. Level 18. Type: Grass/Fairy. Moves learned: Razor Leaf, Stun Spore, Growth, Leech Seed. Ability: Prankster
-Chimchar. Level 14. Type: Fire. Moves learned: Scratch, Leer, Ember, Taunt. Ability: Blaze
-Bagon. Level 15. Type: Dragon. Moves learned: Rage, Ember, Leer, Bite. Ability: Rock Head

Youngjae's Pokemon:

-Petilil. Level 17. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Mega Drain, Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, Growth. Ability: Own Tempo
-Buneary. Level 16. Type: Normal. Moves learned: Quick Attack, Baby-Doll Eyes, Frustration, Endure. Ability: Klutz
-Fennekin. Level 14. Type: Fire. Moves learned: Flame Charge, Howl, Tail Whip, Scratch. Ability: Blaze
-Cubone. Level 1. Type: Ground. Moves learned: Growl. Ability: Battle Armour

Jongup's Pokemon:

-Helioptile. Level 22. Type: Electric/Normal. Moves learned: Quick Attack, Charge, Razor Wind, Shock Wave. Ability: Sand Veil
-Lucario. Level 23. Type: Fighting/Steel. Moves learned: Aura Sphere, Feint, Foresight, Swords Dance. Ability: Inner Focus
-Dewpider. Level 21. Type: Bug. Moves learned: Bug Bite, Bite, Bubblebeam, Spider Web. Ability: Water Bubble
-Servine. Level 19. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Leaf Tornado, Tackle, Growth, Wrap. Ability: Overgrow.

Junhong's Pokemon:

-Cleffa. Level 16. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Magical Leaf, Sing, Pound, Copycat. Ability: Cute Charm
-Bellsprout. Level 18. Type: Grass/Poison. Moves learned: Vine Whip, Growth, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder. Ability: Chlorophyll
-Meditite. Level 19. Type: Psychic/Fighting. Moves learned: Confusion, Feint, Endure, Meditate. Ability: Pure Power
-Totodile. Level 11. Type: Water. Moves learned: Scratch, Leer, Water Gun, Rage. Ability: Torrent

Yongguk's Pokemon:

-Rufflet. Level 17. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Wing Attack, Fury Attack, Hone Claws, Leer. Ability: Keen Eye
-Houndour. Level 19. Type: Fire/Dark. Moves learned: Roar, Ember, Bite, Howl. Ability: Flash Fire
-Spinarak. Level 16. Type: Bug/Poison. Moves learned: Infestation, Absorb, Night Shade, Scary Face. Ability: Insomnia
-Treecko. Level 15. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Pound, Leer, Absorb, Quick Attack. Ability: Overgrow

Himchan's Pokemon:

-Flabebe. Level 17. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Fairy Wind, Tackle, Razor Leaf, Lucky Chant. Ability: Flower Veil
-Kirlia. Level 20. Type: Fairy/Psychic. Moves learned: Confusion, Heal Pulse, Disarming Voice, Magical Leaf. Ability: Trace
-Brionne. Level 17. Type: Water. Moves learned: Icy Wind, Baby-Doll Eyes, Disarming Voice, Aqua Jet. Ability: Torrent.
-Poochyena. Level 15. Type: Dark. Moves learned: Bite, Sand-Attack, Howl, Odor Sleuth. Ability: Run Away.