Pokemon Radio: Item Instructor (4)

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

Pokemon Radio: Item Instructor (4)
Hosts: Himchan and Jongup

*****************************************

Himchan: And we're back to another round of Item Instructor! Woo! It's the fourth episode already! Today, we have Jongup here as our other host! Say hi, Uppie.

Jongup: Hello, this is Moon Jongup.

Himchan: Today was supposed to be me and Yongguk, but we invited you this time round because you were teaching Daehyun about battle stuff.

Jongup: Yes. We did try out some battle items.

Himchan: Held items, you mean?

Jongup: That, and battle items.

Himchan: That's right, folks. Don't confuse it! There is a difference between held and battle items. Today, we'll be talking mostly about battle items and a little bit about held items.

Jongup: Okay.

Himchan: So, what battle items are there, Uppie?

Jongup: X Attack, X Defense, X Special Attack, X Special Defense, X Speed, X Accuracy, Guard Spec and Dire Hit. These are the more widely-known ones. Other things that constitute as battle items include the Pokedoll, the Poketoy, the Adrenaline Orb and flutes, though flutes are being classified under Medicine nowadays.

Himchan: So, as we can tell from the names, the X- items boost that particular stat by one stage if used on a Pokemon. The ones that are slightly different is the Guard Spec and the Dire Hit. The Guard Spec protects you against critical hits, and Dire Hit boosts your critical hit ratio. 

Jongup: The Pokedoll and Poketoy serve the same function. They distract a wild Pokemon so that you can run from them. 

Himchan: Wow, so it's like...embarrassing.

Jongup: ?

Himchan: I mean, you are in the middle of a battle, you're losing and you whip out this toy and throw it at the Pokemon.

Jongup: Essentially so.

Himchan: ...

Jongup: ?

Himchan: Doesn't that sound embarrassing to you?

Jongup: ...

Jongup: There are things that must be done.

Himchan: Aaaanyways, moving on. The Adrenaline Orb makes wild Pokemon more nervous, so they're more likely to call comrades to help. Though, why would you want them to call comrades anyway?

Jongup: It works wonders if the Trainer decides to Shiny Hunt. 

Himchan: Shiny Hunt?

Jongup: Hunt for Pokemon that are Shiny. An Adrenaline Orb, would, as you would expect, increase their chances of finding a Shiny Pokemon by forcing the wild Pokemon to call for help.

Himchan: That's just cruel. I can't believe this thing is sold commercially in PokeMarts.

Jongup: ...

Himchan: Moving on, you mentioned flutes, Jonguppie.

Jongup: Flutes have a variety of effect on Pokemon. Some flutes like the Blue Flute wakes a sleeping Pokemon. Black Flutes prevent wild Pokemon from appearing for a period of time.

Himchan: So they're more like medicines?

Jongup: They can qualify as a battle item.

Himchan: So, that's it for battle items?

Jongup: Yes. Nothing much about them. The difficult part is when to use them.

Himchan: So, held items. Daehyun explained a few in the previous chapter.

Jongup: He spent an entire paragraph. Which he was not supposed to do. It sounded quite boring when I read through it again.

Himchan: Whatever. It got published.

Jongup: Because you are the editor. Everything goes by you.

Himchan: Pish-tosh. That has no relevance to this at all. Also, we're straying off topic. So, held items. What other stuff do you have in your bag there, Jonguppie?

Jongup: We can start by talking about items that boost the power of certain types of moves.

Himchan: Like?

Jongup: The Charcoal, that I've given Daehyun's Monferno, boosts Fire-type moves. Mystic Water boosts Water-type moves. Miracle Seed for grass. Magnet for Electric, Hard Stone for Rock, Soft Sand for Ground...

Himchan: Hold up, mister. You saying that there's one item for every single type out there?

Jongup: Yes. There's the Silver Powder for Bug, BlackGlasses for Dark, Silk Scarf for Normal, Spell Tag for Ghost, TwistedSpoon for Psychic, Black Belt for Fighting, Sharp Beak for Flying...

Himchan: Zzz...

Jongup: Dragon Fang for Dragon...I mean, no , NeverMeltIce for Ice, no also, and Poison Barb for Poison. Self-explanatory. The only type that doesn't have such an item is the Fairy type.

Himchan: Zzz...

Jongup: ...

Himchan: *thud* OW! What the hell was that for?

Jongup: You can't sleep on a broadcast.

Himchan: Well, I so can. You done with your tirade, Uppie?

Jongup: Yes. While we are on the subject of type-enhancing items, there are also Plates and Gems. Gems can be found in caves, but Plates...

Himchan: Oh wait, I heard about something like this sometime last year. Someone discovered this Pixie Plate in Souldrop Mines.

Jongup: It has been donated to the Museum of Snowberry. We might be stopping there. 

Himchan: Actually, now that I think about, our journey seems pointless. It's like, you don't have a reason to be travelling all over Oakre.

Jongup: Believe me, I do. It's not in anyone's best interests if I say anything.

Himchan: Now you're just playing mysterious.

Jongup: ...Gets the gentlemen every time. And ladies. People love mystery.

Himchan: *chokes* *splutter* *coughs violently*

Jongup: This marks the end of Item Instructor this time round. 

Himchan: Next up we'll talk about how Jongup can bring so many items with him and still move like a ninja.

Jongup: A magician never reveals his tricks.

Himchan: Ignore him. So long, people! And we'll meet next time.