Pokemon Radio: Ability Ace (3)

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

Pokemon Radio: Ability Ace (3)
Hosts: Yongguk and Daehyun

***********************************

Yongguk: Ahem.

Yongguk: Ah...it's working.

Yongguk: Welcome to the next episode of Pokemon Radio: Ability Ace. It's already the third episode of this show. Hmm...I can't start yet. Daehyun isn't here.

...

...

*door opens*

*door clicks shut*

Daehyun: Ah, sorry, I'm late!

*sound of chair swivelling*

Yongguk: ...I haven't started.

Daehyun: *chuckles* When nature calls, you've just gotta go. So, anyways, welcome to the--

Yongguk: I already said that.

Daehyun: Oh.

Daehyun: Uh.

Daehyun: On this episode of Ability Ace, we'll be talking about abilities that the Pokemon that had starred in the previous chapter had.

Yongguk: Well, shall we start? First, we have Bronzor.

Daehyun: Wow, the list is right here...right. So, Bronzor. What ability did Bronzor have again?

Yongguk: Levitate. That means that Bronzor can evade Ground-type moves.

Daehyun: That's cool. That just took out one of its weaknesses.

Yongguk: Other Pokemon with this ability includes Youngjae's Misdreavus and Gastly.

Daehyun: Okay, so, next, we have...oh, Bronzor again. Heatproof.

Yongguk: That nullifies another of its weakness, which is Fire.

Daehyun: Bronzor really has a thing going for it, huh.

Yongguk: Well, yes. A Pokemon has to be able to survive in the wild after all.

Daehyun: ...Bronzor is a man-made Pokemon.

Yongguk: One day, even baby birds have to leave the nest.

Daehyun: ...

Yongguk: ...

Daehyun: *sniffle* Arceus, Yongguk. That was beautiful.

Yongguk: Let's carry on. The next Pokemon seems to be Shelgon.

Daehyun: The Rock Head ability.

Yongguk: Essentially, Rock Head prevents the user from taking recoil damage from moves such as Head Smash and Flare Blitz.

Daehyun: Wow, pretty handy, huh.

Yongguk: Yes, it is. Especially if you want to keep your Pokemon in the fight for quite a while.

Daehyun: So, next, uhm...is...ah, the Unown.

Yongguk: Levitate as well. What's next?

Daehyun: Dugtrio. Arena Trap and Sand Veil. Huh, so it has two abilities? And...hold on a minute. It has a third ability? Sand Force?

Yongguk: They are all possible abilities. The last one is a little special. Let's explain all three. Arena Trap disallows any opponent to escape, by switching out or running, but only for Pokemon on the ground.

Daehyun: So, running into one of these things would be a pain if you don't have a Flying-type, or a Pokemon with Levitate.

Yongguk: Yes, I do find it rather annoying.

Daehyun: And other Pokemon that have this is, like, Trapinch and Diglett. 

Yongguk: There's another ability that is pretty similar to this, and that is Shadow Tag, which affects even airborne Pokemon. Pokemon like Gengar has it.

Daehyun: Useful if you're trying to catch a Pokemon that always flees.

Yongguk: Yup.

Daehyun: So, next, is Sand Veil. Wait, I know this one. Ups evasion during a sandstorm, right?

Yongguk: Yeah. The next one is...interesting. Normally, Dugtrio would have one of the two abilities we talked about, but sometimes, in certain, special circumstances, we can encounter Dugtrio with the Sand Force ability.

Daehyun: Huh? How come?

Yongguk: These are called hidden abilities. Rare Pokemon have these hidden abilities, so Pokemon with them are highly sought-after.

Daehyun: Do all Pokemon have hidden abilities?

Yongguk: Well, most of them do, but Pokemon like Unown don't.

Daehyun: Huh? Why?

Yongguk: Nature never plays fair, Daehyun-ah.

Daehyun: ...

Yongguk: Moving on, we have Muk's Poison Touch.

Daehyun: This is dangerous. Poison Touch lets it poison a foe when it attacks the foe. Pretty nifty. But what's the difference between Poison Touch and Poison Point, then?

Yongguk: Poison Point only activates if the Pokemon with that ability gets hit by a physical move, but for Poison Touch, as long as the Pokemon with the ability executes a physical attack, there's a chance of it poisoning the Pokemon.

Daehyun: Poison Point still sounds cooler, though. I mean, it's like an eye for an eye.

Yongguk: Haha. Of course, of course, but you must remember. An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind.

Daehyun: You know how Poison Point can poison the opposing Pokemon as, like, a retaliation kind of thing?

Yongguk: Yeah.

Daehyun: So what about other status ailments? Poison can't be the only one, right?

Yongguk: Well, let's go down the status ailments, eh? There's paralysis...and the corresponding ability is Static. Hmm, then there's Flame Body to burn unsuspecting foes. Cute Charm for infatuation, but there doesn't seem to be any for Sleep, Freeze and Confusion, though.

Daehyun: But there's the best one, of course.

Yongguk: Yes. The best one, in my opinion, that is, which is called Effect Spore.

Daehyun: Pokemon like Shroomish and Breloom have them. When you physically assault them, they'll retaliate with any status that's poison, paralysis or sleep.

Yongguk: It's not a 100% hit chance though.

Daehyun: Still, when it takes effect, that's the most beautiful part of it.

Yongguk: That's right.

Daehyun: We've been talking for quite a while now, huh?

Yongguk: That's right. Abilities are really interesting things.

Daehyun: It's time to say goodbye, then.

Yongguk: Annyeong~

Daehyun: Byeeee!