Pokemon Radio: Trainer Teacher (8)

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

Pokemon Radio: Trainer Teacher (8)
Hosts: Himchan and Daehyun

***********************************************************

Himchan: Welcome back to another exciting episode of...

Together: Trainer Teacher!

Daehyun: What are we going to talk about today, Himchan?

Himchan: Hmm...We've talked about a lot of things. Typing, the weather, moves, abilities, evolution, stats, breeding...what else can we possibly talk about?

Daehyun: You're right. This is a problem. We couldn't have run out of things to talk about!

Himchan: Ah! I got it. Let's talk about Friendship.

Daehyun: Friendship? With a capital "F"?

Himchan: Yeah, why not? Friendship wtih your Pokemon is important, you know. Some Pokemon evolve via friendship and happiness. I even heard that there is this app that lets you check your Pokemon's happiness.

Daehyun: Ah, I heard of this. Developed by this guy who created the Poketch.

Himchan: Poketch? Ah, that Pokemon watch.

Daehyun: Yeah. Then, they ported that app to the Pokephone.

Himchan: I see. You know, we should talk about these things one day. About the various communication devices used in our world, across the different regions. Different places use different devices, you know.

Daehyun: Like Unova uses the X-Transceiver and Kanto and Johto uses the Pokegear?

Himchan: Yeah. We're getting off-track, by the way. So, some Pokemon evolve when you have a strong bond with that Pokemon. This is familiar, though. I feel like someone's done this evolve-by-friendship topic before.

Daehyun: ...Eh, it doesn't matter. We can always do it again. A refresher, you know?

Himchan: Okay, some Pokemon that evolve via happiness are Pokemon like Swadloon to Leavanny and Woobat to Swoobat.

Daehyun: Ah, and Junhong's Clefairy too. Evolved with high friendship.

Himchan: What can we do to increase happiness, though, Daehyun?

Daehyun: By just being with your Pokemon, they'll naturally form a stronger bond with you and be happier, but of course, giving your Pokemon their favourite food and doing what they like will increase their happiness too. You can also give it a Soothe Bell - it works wonders.

Himchan: Ah...especially if you feed your Pokemon their favourite flavour. Mightyena's always happy when I give it sweet food. But other than evolution, what else does friendship and happiness affect, then?

Daehyun: There are two moves that are affected by friendship - Return and Frustration.

Himchan: Frustration works better when you have a lower friendship, right?

Daehyun: Yeah, and Return works the other way. You know Youngjae's Lopunny? It learned Frustration naturally.

Himchan: Really?! Does it hate Youngjae that much?

Daehyun: Hahaha maybe. But when it evolves into a Lopunny, it learns Return naturally too.

Himchan: So Buneary evolves into Lopunny with high friendship.

Daehyun: Yup. Certain other moves can only be learned if you have the right Pokemon with high friendship too.

Himchan: Like what?

Daehyun: Well, the ultimate moves.

Himchan: Ultimate what now?

Daehyun: The ultimate moves. Only select Pokemon can learn them.

Himchan: So, Yongguk will go through this the next time? Ultimate moves?

Daehyun: Yeah, nothing much to it, though. Just super powerful.

Himchan: So only Pokemon with high enough friendship with their Trainer can learn these moves.

Daehyun: Yeah.

Himchan: ...You know, that's all there is to friendship to your Pokemon. Pretty short, huh? Hey, I know. Why not talk about Affection since we're on this topic?

Daehyun: Oh yeah. Affection's different from friendship. A Pokemon that is affectionate towards you may not necessarily be too friendly towards you.

Himchan: Okay, I know it doesn't make much sense, but yes, friendship and affection are two totally different things that, well, affect different things.

Daehyun: What does Affection affect then, Himchan?

Himchan: A Pokemon becomes more affectionate the longer the time you spend with it, and if you play with it or take care of it after battle. You know in Sparkridge, they actually sell these kinds of grooming kits specially designed for Pokemon - instead of the usual medicine they've got brushes, towels and stuff.

Daehyun: Can't you just buy that at any PokeMart?

Himchan: Well, have you seen any? ...Okay, not that I haven't seen any, but you buy them one at a time. Sparkridge has, like, an entire kit.

Daehyun: Basically they bundled everything together to sell.

Himchan: Yes, a marketing technique, but an effective one nonetheless.

Daehyun: You know feeding Pokemon Pokebeans can make them more affectionate towards you.

Himchan: Pokebeans? You mean those multi-coloured beans from Alola?

Daehyun: They're sold in Rootwill too, you know. In the market, imported from Alola. And there are cafes there that specialize in coffee made from these beans.

Himchan: There are three types of these beans too - Plain, Patterned and Rainbow. Of course, the more colours there are on the bean, the more delicious it is and your Pokemon is more affectionate towards you. But of course, the more delicious it is, the more filling it is too.

Daehyun: Ah. What are the benefits of raising Affection with your Pokemon, Himchan?

Himchan: Well, there are certain benefits, like your Pokemon are more willing to listen to your instructions during battle if they aren't already. And they are more likely to score critical hits as well as dodge attacks.

Daehyun: Wow. Legit?

Himchan: And not only that, Eevee can evolve into Sylveon if it has high enough Affection and knows a Fairy-type move.

Daehyun: Is Eevee the only Pokemon that evolves based on the Affection level?

Himchan: So far, yeah. Who knows? Maybe there are other Pokemon out there undiscovered that evolve based on Affection too.

Daehyun: Is that all for Affection, then, Himchan?

Himchan: Yeah, pretty much.

Daehyun: Great then. We talked for long enough, I guess.

Himchan: Well, the Affection part was really impromptu. ARRRRRRRGGHHH!

Daehyun: Whoa, what happened? Oh! Ow!

*BANG!*

Yongguk: Arceus..., I'm so sorry. Eevee! Come back here!

Himchan: I SWEAR TO THE TAPU, YONGGUK, YOU'RE RAISING A DEVIL! Ow! Stop biting me!

Daehyun: Uh, guys, we're on broadcast.

Himchan: OW OW OW!

Yongguk: Eevee! No! No biting Himchan.

Youngjae: Guys, some people are trying to sleep. Oh my...Holy Tapu! YEOW!

Daehyun: I think we'd better...turn this o-

*****************************************************

as you can see im actually running out of topics to talk about haha