Wronged

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

omg pw is so stressful i swear im spending 12-13 hours working on it in school even on weekends

**********************

“So, this is the place.”

Daehyun and Youngjae are the first to go on their Gym battle, followed by Himchan and Jongup, then Yongguk and Junhong. Cottonee and Petilil are out of their balls, hanging around their Trainers as they prepare to enter.

They submitted their Pokemon for examination just like in the Stratuseon Gym.

“In this here Gym,” the clerk says, “for the Double Battle challenge, you’re going to have to trust your Pokemon.”

“Trust…our Pokemon?” Youngjae asks.

“Yes,” the clerk nods. “Your mind has to be one with your Pokemon. Which means that you won’t be able to give your Pokemon commands in battle.”

“H-Huh?” Youngjae cries out, staring at the clerk with bulging eyes. “What do you mean—”

“Essentially, you have to trust your Pokemon to fight for you. This Gym Leader specializes in Psychic-type Pokemon. These Pokemon hate Ghost-, Dark- and Bug-type moves.”

Youngjae nods, bites his lip and glances down at Petilil, who looks like it’s raring to go.

“In each battle, both Trainers may only use two Pokemon each. You may proceed.”

Youngjae straightens the backpack on his shoulders and steps out with Daehyun onto the first battleground.

*

It wasn’t too bad, but it was weird. All they could do was to sit at the side and watch their Pokemon battle. Petilil and the others have almost fainted once or twice, but still manage to win the battle beautifully. Youngjae makes sure to patch them up after every battle.

They have to fight two battles against two sets of virtual Trainers before they reach Jongin himself, who’s sitting on a pink-coloured throne at the far end of the Gym, his faithful Starmie behind him.

“Oh, it’s you guys,” Jongin acknowledges with a yawn and he rubs his eyes. “Try not to bore me with a sleep-inducing battle, alright?”

He stands up painfully slow and walks over to the box drawn out on the ground that’s meant for Trainers. He tosses two Pokeballs towards the field and out burst his first two Pokemon: Ralts and Abra.

Abra. Level 18. Type: Psychic. Moves learned: Taunt, Hidden Power, Calm Mind, Toxic. Ability: Synchronize (inflict upon the foe with the same status ailment inflicted upon user). It can teleport itself to safety while it's asleep, but when it wakes, it doesn't know where it is, so it panics.

Daehyun sends out Bagon and Youngjae sends out Buneary, both Pokemon hopping out of their balls onto the field, ready to battle.

“Abra, Ralts, you’ve got this,” Jongin says. “Let the battle begin!”

The sound of a bell signals the start of the battle. Abra and Ralts get to work immediately. Ralts starts off with a Disarming Voice attack at the two Pokemon. Bagon takes supereffective damage from the attack, but Retaliates with a Dragonbreath attack at Abra as the Pokemon uses Calm Mind, increasing its Special Attack and Special Defense, lessening the damage received from Dragonbreath.

Fortunately for their Pokemon, Abra is now paralysed due to a side effect from the Dragonbreath attack.

Buneary hits strongly with a Quick Attack move, moving so fast its body is like a blur. It slams itself into Ralts, knocking Ralts back onto the floor.

Bagon s itself headfirst towards Ralts this time, and Ralts flinches from the impact. Buneary switches target, tiny legs taking it from Ralts to Abra.

Coordinated pandemonium, Youngjae thinks. It’s part of the strategy they had discussed beforehand. After beating the two sets of Gym Trainers and before fighting Jongin. Abra catches Buneary with one clawed hand and swings its fist into Buneary’s stomach, burying into Buneary’s ultra-soft fur. Buneary is caught by surprise and it is sent sprawling onto the ground.

Ralts picks itself up and then uses a Calm Mind move, strengthening its mind’s power. Then, the magic happens. Multiple copies of Ralts begin to appear around Bagon, confusing the Pokemon as Bagon spins around, firing Ember attacks at the copies, only to watch in dismay and anger as each copy disappear.

Ralts strikes from behind, unleashing a Disarming Voice attack and Bagon is taken out. Daehyun quickly switches Bagon out with Cottonee before the Pokemon hits the ground. The moment any of their Pokemon fall, they’re out of the game.

Cottonee, upon entering, snags the real Ralts with a Leech Seed attack, the seed planted on its body sprouting shoots and roots as it attaches itself into Ralts.

Meanwhile, Buneary appears to be having a hard time with Abra, especially with that…is that…? A purple spot has bloomed on Buneary’s yellowish fur. It looks almost like a paint splatter, except with each passing moment, Buneary’s condition seems to be getting worse.

Buneary is once again tossed to the ground by Abra. It crawls back up again, taking more damage from being badly poisoned by the Abra’s Toxic. Buneary forces itself to crash into Abra once more.

That’s when there is a spark of light engulfing the battlefield and a larger figure takes Buneary’s place. A Pokemon emerges from the dust and aims a kick at Abra, effectively taking it out and the new Pokemon hops back to its original spot, legs wobbling from the effort of keeping itself upright.

Lopunny. Level 20. Type: Normal. Moves learned: Return, Endure, Baby-Doll Eyes, Quick Attack. Ability: Klutz (unable to use held items). The ears appear to be delicate. If they are touched roughly, it kicks with its graceful legs.

Youngjae quickly returns Lopunny to its Pokeball and sends out Braixen.

Jongin sends out his next Pokemon: Drowzee, a yellow and brown Pokemon with a short trunk.

Drowzee. Level 18. Type: Psychic. Moves learned: Headbutt, Poison Gas, Confusion, Calm Mind. Ability: Insomnia (this Pokemon cannot fall asleep). A Pokémon that nourishes itself by eating dreams, it is thought to share common ancestry with Munna and Musharna.

Drowzee slams Cottonee with a Poison Gas attack, poisoning the Pokemon, effectively stopping Cottonee’s health-recovery tactic.

Braixen uses Howl, a red aura flaring up around it. With a shake of its tail, Braixen’s fur is coated with flames and it uses Flame Charge, hitting Drowzee harshly with its body.

Cottonee finishes Ralts off with a Razor Leaf attack, the sharp edges of the leaves cutting into its skin. Jongin returns Ralts and sends out Gothita, the black Pokemon entering the field and dancing about.

Gothita. Level 20. Type: Psychic. Moves learned: Embargo, Psybeam, Double Slap, Calm Mind. Ability: Frisk (knows what the foe’s held item is). They intently observe both Trainers and Pokémon. Apparently, they are looking at something only Gothita can see.

Yeah, Youngjae nods absently as he watches Gothita stare at the battle before it. It certainly is creepy.

Gothita doesn’t move for the longest time, and maybe their Pokemon write it off as something non-threatening, but alarm bells shriek in Youngjae’s mind. He opens his mouth, but he knows that if he speaks, they would get disqualified, so he shuts it once again, teeth grinding. That Gothita is up to something and he knows it. The Drowzee being so problematic is just a distraction!

Braixen takes out Drowzee with one last Flame Charge attack. Now its speed is unparalleled as it targets Gothita this time.

Gothita doesn’t move even as Braixen is mere seconds from it, body covered in flames. At the last second, however, it sidesteps Braixen and the Pokemon crashes into the wall, flames burned out as it tries to orientate itself.

Cottonee spreads a curtain of yellow spores onto Gothita, paralysing it.

Then, Braixen faints.

Youngjae stares wide-eyed as Braixen falls. There are no external injuries. Only internal. He returns Braixen to its Pokeball.

Gothita continues to stare even as Cottonee hits it with a Leech Seed attack. The seed begins to dig under Gothita’s skin, but the Pokemon doesn’t seem to notice. Instead, it focuses its attention on Cottonee now, the staring looking pretty uncomfortable.

Leaves appear from Cottonee’s body and it fires the tiny leaf blades at Gothita.

Just as the blades are diving through midair, Cottonee appears to be hit by something. An attack of some sort. Just as Cottonee falls back, Gothita is sliced by the Razor Leaf, blades of leaves cutting into its body.

Most importantly, cutting through the Leech Seed on its body. The remnants of the Leech Seed falls to the ground, cut apart completely. Gothita stares at its body, cleansed of the parasitic seed.

Cottonee almost hits the ground, but it gets right back up, as if its energy is restored. It launches another Leech Seed attack on Gothita, and Youngjae can see the Pokemon visibly attempt to move, but the Stun Spore earlier prevents it from moving.

Cottonee appears to get healthier and healthier from the Leech Seed, and it launches another Razor Leaf attack at Gothita. Gothita is once again unable to dodge, due to the paralysis, and instead opts to send another Psybeam attack on Cottonee, which misses. Youngjae finally realizes why Gothita is so powerful now.

 When it wasn’t being attacked earlier, it was boosting its power with Calm Mind. Continuously. And now, it’s going to fire off Psybeam with everything it’s got.

He can see Gothita’s eyes sparkle, and it’s preparing itself for one last Psybeam attack, hoping to take Cottonee down with it, and a shower of leaves appear behind Cottonee, a green aura surrounding each leaf as it prepares to be hurled at the Gothita.

“,” Daehyun utters beside Youngjae as he watches the two Pokemon unleash their attacks.

Both Pokemon begin to fall.

But Cottonee then springs right back up and Gothita hits the ground.

“Well, I kind of expected that,” Jongin nods, returning Gothita to its Pokeball. “Being unable to give your Pokemon commands, you kind of have to do a lot of preparation beforehand, huh.”

“Yeah,” Daehyun nods, scooping an ecstatic Cottonee into his arms.  It’s then that Youngjae sees it.

A Shell Bell, buried in Cottonee’s cotton. A Shell Bell refills the Pokemon’s health when the user does damage. Which must be why Cottonee kept using Razor Leaf. Its move with the highest damage output to regain the most health. Not to mention Leech Seed.

“How’d you know, though?” Youngjae looks up at Jongin.

“Gothita has the Frisk ability, remember? I knew exactly all your held items,” Jongin says, smiling a little. “Actually, only Cottonee, because your other Pokemon don’t seem to be holding anything.”

“Oh, right,” Youngjae scratches his head awkwardly. “I mean, were we supposed to—?”

“It depends. Held items can be pretty useful,” Jongin hums as he walks over to a machine similar to that in the Pokemon Centre. It whirrs and a jingle plays, fully restoring his Pokemon’s health. “Would you mind waiting at the lobby? At least, until after all your teammates are done with their battles?”

“Team…how did you know?” Youngjae stares incredulously at Jongin.

“Psychic powers,” Jongin grins as he reaches into his pocket and drops two new shiny Gym Badges into the hands of the boys. “This is the Spirit Badge. Pokemon up to level 35 will obey you.” He then walks over to his desk and hands them a disc each. “This TM contains Calm Mind. Using it will make your Pokemon’s mind stronger.”

With a wave goodbye, Youngjae walks out and wonders if Jongin really does have psychic powers.

*

Jongup and Himchan win their badges “with almost no effort” (according to Himchan). Yongguk and Junhong did get pushed into a corner just like Daehyun and Youngjae, but all in all, they had all succeeded.

As instructed, they had been waiting for Yongguk and Junhong to come out of the Gym, followed closely by Jongin and his Alakazam.

“I need you all to come with me,” Jongin says. He snaps his fingers, and Alakazam holds up its spoons, glowing with psychic power, shimmering in the dim lighting of the Gym lobby. Immediately, it’s as if Daehyun is being seized by invisible hands, and dragged through space.

*

When Daehyun awakens, he finds himself alone in a dark and dank place. All alone. The floor is dirty and grimy. Puzzled he looks up, rubbing at his bleary eyes, and sees…bars? Jail bars? What’s going on here?

He reaches for his Pokeballs but finds none. What? Where have all his Pokemon gone? Who took them? He walks over to the bars, and finds…another jail cell right in front of his, but it’s empty.

“Hey! Anyone out there?” In his peripheral vision, he can see other jail cells, but not too clearly. However, he does hear a tiny voice.

“Daehyun? Is that you?”

Youngjae. They’ve got Youngjae locked up in here too?

“Youngjae? Who else is there?” He grasps at the bars, cringing a little at feeling whatever dirt and rust there is on the metal.

“I think…I think it’s just you and me,” Youngjae says. “My Pokemon are all gone, Daehyun.”

Daehyun has never heard Youngjae’s voice so small before. He must be really frightened. While Daehyun is not exactly what you call a brave soul, but he tries to look around for escape options. The bars are definitely a no-go, but what about the rest of the cell?

Daehyun glances around him. There is nothing in his cell besides a wooden bench for a bed and a rotten table and chair. The dull crystals growing on the brick walls tells him that yes, he is, indeed, still in Souldrop.

Why? Didn’t Jongin…?

Jongin. His Alakazam teleported them away, but…teleporting them into a jail cell?

“Thirty-three dead.”

Footsteps echo in the near-quietness of the dungeon. Daehyun recognizes the voice and anger boils up in him.

“Seven survive.”

The figure pauses to stop outside his cell. Jongin’s face is dark, soulless eyes staring into Daehyun’s.

“Your group of six survived,” Jongin says, unblinkingly. “The seventh survivor saw the six of you fleeing from the scene after leaving the other passengers to die.”

“What!” Daehyun is about ready to throw his hands up. So Jongin has been suspecting them from the get-go? “This has gotta be some kind of mistake!”

“I assure you, there is no mistake,” Jongin says. “You may be Pokedex owners, but it doesn’t exempt you from crime.”

“We had no choice!” Youngjae screams from his cell, rattling the bars. “We didn’t know the Feral Pokemon were…” His voice trails off. Jongin’s expression doesn’t flicker.

“I could even say that perhaps the whole thing was planned,” Jongin says, lips pressed into a thin line. “You could be in cahoots with Team BTS, might I add.”

“Team BTS? What? Who are they?” Youngjae yells, slamming against the bars once more.

“Don’t play dumb,” Jongin snaps, but straightens himself soon afterwards. “Your trial is a week from now.”

Ignoring Youngjae’s indignant cries, Jongin turns on his heels and begins to walk away from them, shoes clacking against the tiled floors.

Daehyun feels himself sinking to his knees.

*

How much time has passed? In an underground dungeon, it’s hard to tell. Daehyun is sitting on the stone bench, knees drawn up to his chest. It’s a funny feeling, being arrested is. He feels wronged, framed, and a tiny flame of anger burns in him for that seventh survivor who saw them. If s/he didn’t see them, would they have been able to pass through Souldrop without any problems?

Then, he hears footsteps again. Hope fills him up as Daehyun raises his head to look through the bars as a sliver of light shines against the greenish walls. Three people. He can see the shadows of three people.

“I say release them at once.”

The voice is commanding, authoritative. No, the last shadow isn’t a person, it’s a Pokemon. The three figures stop right in front of Daehyun’s cell. The one who was speaking stands with her hands relaxed at her side, her Scizor standing behind her.

“They did no harm. They only did what they could to escape,” the woman says. Daehyun seems to recognize this woman. She seems oddly familiar. “It is the law of the jungle, Jongin. Survival of the fittest.”

“But Irene—”

Irene turns to look at Jongin, who’s standing behind her. Immediately, under her gaze, he shrinks back. She turns to Daehyun once more. “After you are released, your Pokemon will be given back to you and you are free to continue your journey. I apologize for my subordinate’s misinterpretation of your actions and for the wrongful arrest.”

Jongin signals for a warden and the jingle of keys in the lock almost makes Daehyun cry with joy. He watches as they open the door to Youngjae’s cell too. The boy bounds out, throwing his arms around Daehyun’s neck and half-sobbing into his shoulder.

“Do come with me,” Jongin says, back turned to them. Youngjae narrows his eyes at him, but Daehyun just pats his back and tells him to trust the dude. He was just doing his duty as a Gym Leader, after all.

They are led up the dungeon’s crumbly staircase, and Daehyun has to shield his eyes from the sudden bright light assaulting his eyes. Jongin apologizes once more for the mistake, his eyes not daring to meet theirs, and tells them to receive their Pokemon back from the warden while he goes to find the others.

Daehyun’s Pokemon are all over him when they are released from their balls. Monferno practically jumps on him and Bagon nearly snaps his hand off. Cottonee is just plain relieved. Youngjae’s Pokemon are pretty emotional as well.

When their group of six is reunited, they share tears (Himchan, Daehyun and Youngjae) and hearty “Good to see you too”s (Yongguk and Junhong). Jongup is the only one that’s silent, preferring not to get too involved in whatever crazy antics the three of them are up to.

They leave the station and the breath of fresh air Daehyun first takes is the most refreshing breath that he’s ever taken.

*

“What was that about?” Youngjae rants. They’re now on the road again, on Route 6, headed for Fault Canyon. The path is a straight road, flanked by healthy copses of trees. Wild Pokemon observe them from the tall grass, the treetops.

“It’s an honest mistake, seriously,” Junhong says, as if without a care in the world. “It’s kind of his responsibility when something big like that happens. Maybe he was just stressed.”

“But it’s not like he’s got sufficient evidence, though,” Youngjae whines. “Like, what the .”

Youngjae does calm down, but only after venting his anger on a few wild Pokemon (that he eventually heals up with Himchan’s stash of potions).

The sound of the river water splashing against damp rocks is peaceful and relaxing. Himchan demands that they stop there and rest before they enter Fault Canyon. Yongguk looks up at the sky and announces that he’d search up nearby motels to stay in for the night. Meanwhile, the three more enthusiastic boys, Daehyun, Youngjae and Junhong strip in broad daylight and jump into the water, nearly drenching Himchan, who yells at them.

It’s funny, Jongup thinks. They’ve just earned a Gym Badge, stayed in jail for roughly an afternoon and now they’re back on the road, playing around like nothing’s happened. Monferno and Cubone have ganged up against Bagon and wrestled the Dragon-type into the water. Cottonee and Petilil have chosen to stay by their Trainers’ sides, Cottonee’s body seemingly getting damper and damper with each splash of water.

Jongup sits down beside Yongguk, who’s tapping away on his Pokedex, on the browser.

“There’s a hotel here,” Yongguk says, jabbing his finger at the screen. His newly-evolved Treecko, Grovyle, is peering over his shoulder, and Rufflet is perched on his shoulder. Helioptile crawls into Jongup’s lap, who starts running his fingers over Helioptile’s smooth skin. “Right in the middle of Fault Canyon. It serves meals too.”

Yongguk jumps when he hears the sound of an engine as a car roars by them, travelling equipment strapped to the top of the violet SUV. It zips down the road, in the direction of Fault Canyon, most likely bound for Faultmount City on a vacation or something.

“Yeah, sure,” Jongup nods, turning back to the Pokedex screen. The hotel looks grand enough for a three-star hotel. It stands strikingly white and distinct against the red of the canyon walls, or at least, what the picture shows. The words “Hotel at Fault” in block letters painted atop the entrance of the hotel. He reaches for his Pokedex, which is normally at his belt, but he feels nothing.

His heart gives a leap as Jongup looks down, searching for his Pokedex, but it’s gone! Truly gone. Did he drop it somewhere just now. No. He touches the area where the Pokedex should have been held on his belt. It’s been tampered with, but it doesn’t look like the work of your garden-variety thief. The strip of leather that the Pokedex is supposed to be tied to is broken apart, the ends blackened. Means that it must have been burned off.

He glances at their Pokemon. Monferno doesn’t seem to be the type to play this kind of prank (though, he can’t be too sure). The other Pokemon that can burn is Bagon and Houndour, but it’s likely not these two either.

So what can—

“Hey, my Pokedex is gone!”

He faces the person who says this, and as it turns out, it’s Himchan, who’s settled on the picnic mat he lugs around. His fingers are scrabbling in his bag as he hurries to take everything out, placing nearly everything on the mat, but no Pokedex.

So, he’s not the only one?

He’s sure that he took his Pokedex back from the warden at Souldrop, so if they lost it, it must be sometime between leaving Souldrop and now, meaning the thief is most likely on this route. And it must be near.

Daehyun and Youngjae have stalked over to Himchan, having paused their playing, and is suddenly looking serious, asking where he last saw it.

A leaf falls from above. An unnatural colour. Black. Jongup snaps his head up and sees something dive behind some leaves. Something with a plus-shaped red tail and yellow body.

“Lucario,” he motions for Lucario and the Pokemon walks over, eyes turning a golden colour as it scans for aura. Lucario points up at the trees. It’s up there. Then, it’s moving. Quickly.

“Aura Sphere,” Jongup says, and Lucario launches it, the sphere of blue following the Pokemon like a homing missile, hitting its target. The Pokemon that got hit makes a loud squeak and drops from the trees, hitting the ground with a loud thud.

Hearing the commotion, the rest of the group runs over, and Jongup walks over to the Pokemon.

It’s a Plusle, with Himchan’s pink Pokedex clutched in its hands. Plusle picks itself up and hugs the Pokedex to its body, but it’s obviously injured and tired, especially after getting hit by that Aura Sphere. Surprisingly, though, it doesn’t seem to have his green Pokedex.

“Where is it?” Jongup walks up to the Plusle, which slinks back against the tree trunk, until its back is pressed to it, looking more than frightened. “Where is the other Pokedex?”

Plusle shakes its head. Dunno.

“Don’t play dumb with me,” Jongup says. In one swift move, Servine plucks the Pokedex from behind the Plusle’s back. “Where is it?”

“Hey, stop threatening the poor thing,” Daehyun reaches over and scoops Plusle up into his arms. Plusle immediately sinks into his embrace.

Jongup plasters on an indifferent expression as he sees the sparkle in Plusle’s eyes. Take that.

“Lucario, Aura Sphere.”

Lucario sends another blue sphere towards the treetops, and there is another squeak as the blue energy hits something, scattering about in midair, rustling the leaves. Another Pokemon drops down from the treetops. It looks almost like Plusle, but is light blue in colour, and has a hyphen-shaped tail. It’s grasping onto Jongup’s green Pokedex, sparks of electricity flying from its cheeks.

“Oh, there’s another one,” Himchan notes, receiving his Pokedex from Servine, carefully dusting it with his hand.

Plusle. Level 14. Type: Electric. Moves learned: Bestow, Encore, Helping Hand, Spark. Ability: Plus (increases power if another Pokemon with Minus ability is in battle). It cheers on friends with pom-poms made of sparks. It drains power from telephone poles.

Minun. Level 14. Type: Electric. Moves learned: Switcheroo, Encore, Helping Hand, Spark. Ability: Minus (increases power if another Pokemon with Plus ability is in battle). It cheers on friends. If its friends are losing, its body lets off more and more sparks.

Jongup holds out a hand, and Minun begrudgingly gives it back, seeing that it’s pretty much cornered. Let Plusle go.

Jongup glances back at Plusle still being held by Daehyun. “Let it go.”

Daehyun raises a brow, but Plusle worms out of his arms and drops to the floor, hopping over to Minun.

That’s when Jongup realizes something is off.

“Servine!”

“Grovyle!” Yongguk’s voice booms as he sees the crackle of electricity bursting from both Pokemon’s cheeks as they coat themselves in electric sparks.

The two Grass-type Pokemon deflect the attacks, taking minimal damage from the Spark attack of Plusle and Minun. With both Pokemon at level 14, and the fact that Electric-types are not effective against Grass-types, it is no wonder. Plusle and Minun then attempt to flee, rabbiting away with quick steps.

“What the heck! The thieves are getting away!” Himchan cries out. Poochyena barks, hurtling ahead towards the two Pokemon along with its Trainer.

“Himchan!” Yongguk bolts after him, leaving the other four still at the riverside, two of them staring blankly at the sight.

“Should we go after them?” Youngjae continues to stare as the two men disappear behind a tree.

There is a pause for a couple of seconds.

Then, they hear a scream. Himchan.

*

A mini-canyon. You could call it a crevice, a ravine. Himchan is grasping onto the tree trunk halfway hanging off the cliff. One wrong step and he can plunge into the ravine below, never to be seen again. Granted, there is a rushing river below them, but there’s no way to tell where that would lead.

And the problem now is the flock of Spearow now tormenting the Plusle-Minun duo trying to hide from the Pokemon at the end of the trunk. Already weakened from Lucario’s Aura Sphere attack earlier, both Pokemon are desperately trying to cling onto the branch as the Spearow squawk and try to peck them.

Poochyena is even futher along the trunk than Himchan is, the wolf Pokemon trembling slightly in fear, but nevertheless, brave enough to bark a few times at the Spearow, who don’t seem to have any intentions of letting up.

Flabebe rushes forward, sending a Razor Leaf attack towards the flock of Spearow, managing to catch and cut some of them, but most leaves missing and falling into ravine. This gathers the Spearow’s attention as half the flock dart over, landing on the tree trunk, as if the trunk isn’t already unbalanced.

“Spinarak!”

Yongguk’s Spinarak scuttles along the tree trunk’s underside, keeping itself on the trunk with its sticky legs and web. Himchan glances back at Yongguk, finding that Spinarak has constructed a pulley system, to keep the trunk from falling by tying it to a few nearby trees.

There are pained cries from Plusle and Minun as some of the Spearow manage to get a few hits and scratches on the two.

Poochyena is doing its best to fend off the Spearow attacks, but it has a hard time keeping itself steady on the narrow trunk, paws scrabbling at the rough bark to keep itself from plunging into the water below.

In one brave leap of courage, Himchan throws himself forward, scratching his shirt and chest against the tree bark. He hisses as he feels the sting. There’s going to be an abrasion there tomorrow. Still, he’s one step closer to Plusle and Minun. Adrenaline pumps through his system, heartbeat drowning out every other sound except the rushing water below.

A Spearow grabs Plusle’s ear with its talons and attempts to fly off, but Plusle shocks Spearow, electricity bursting from its cheeks.

Poochyena dives forward, slamming its body into one of the Spearow, knocking the Spearow’s wing and the bird Pokemon tumbles through the sky.

But, well, Poochyena goes with it.

“Oh ,” Himchan cries out. He is half a second from throwing himself off the tree trunk to save the Poochyena when Spinarak appears out of nowhere, diving down from the tree trunk, white thread shot from its behind wound around the tree trunk’s branches.

A sharp peck on his back has Himchan flinching as pain shoots through him. He turns around to find a Spearow’s beak coming in his direction again. Flabebe rushes in front of him this time and knocks the Spearow away with a Tackle attack, the flower it is holding on to losing a few petals.

“Fairy Wind!”

Flabebe glow with a white light that gets brighter and brighter, until Himchan has to turn away before he is blinded.

A different Pokemon bursts from the light and sends a powerful Fairy Wind towards the Spearow, severely injuring two of them.

Floette. Level 20. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Fairy Wind, Lucky Chant, Healing Wish, Vine Whip. Ability: Flower Veil (prevents status conditions in grassy terrain). When the flowers of a well-tended flower bed bloom, it appears and celebrates with an elegant dance.

Behind him, he hears the sound of barking, and Himchan turns back to find a red spider, reminding him of the spider that had saved them from the Shiftry, looking at him with a Poochyena in a cocoon sack.

Ariados. Level 22. Type: Bug/Poison. Moves learned: Infestation, Scary Face, Night Shade, Absorb. Ability: Insomnia (the Pokemon is unable to fall asleep). Ariados's feet are tipped with tiny hooked claws that enable it to scuttle on ceilings and vertical walls. This Pokémon constricts the foe with thin and strong silk webbing.

Apart from the Poochyena, the Spearow that Poochyena had tackled to the ground is sitting, a little scratched up and fearful, in the cocoon as well.

Himchan brings Poochyena back into his arms and watches as the Spearow still sits in the cocoon, wary gaze tracking his every move, as if it will strike if Himchan gets too close. Himchan orders to take it to Yongguk, which Ariados complies.

The two mouse Pokemon have managed to tear away from the other half of the Spearow flock and is running towards Himchan, both clinging on to him. Now, it’s time for Himchan to get back.

Floette deals with the rest of the Spearow and chase away the flock, the Spearow squawking and cawing loudly in protest. A different call has Himchan look up to find Rufflet’s talons clutching his shoulder. With strong flaps of its wings, it lifts Himchan up, with Poochyena in his arms and Floette by his side, and makes towards safe ground. Plusle and Minun are clinging to his clothes as well.

“Wow, don’t you look like a princess,” Youngjae chuckles, grinning as he puts his hands on his hips. Rufflet lands, and Himchan stands firmly on the ground, releasing a squirming Poochyena. The Plusle and Minun jump off him. Plusle makes for Daehyun and Minun for Jongup. Himchan can only stare because hey, I saved them.

The Spearow is unsteady on its feet, but it totters over to Himchan, only to fall flat on its front.

“Damn, that looks nasty,” Junhong looks down at the Spearow’s condition, Totodile by its side. “Himchan, do your thing.”

Spearow cringes and backs away as Himchan approaches it, but with that horrible-looking wound, it doesn’t look like it can even run away. Himchan digs through his bag for the stash of Potions and finds a Super Potion. He sprays the medicine on the wound, and can see Spearow visibly flinch, cawing loudly as the liquid hits its wound.

But slowly, the wound starts to close, and its wing is healed. The Spearow stares at the wound as if it cannot believe its eyes, then it looks up at Himchan. It looks back at the sky, then back at Himchan, walking towards him, staring resolutely up at him.

“I think he wants to join you,” Yongguk says. Houndour barks in agreement. Himchan’s Pokedex flickers on, showing the 3D image of the Spearow, as well as its information.

Spearow. Level 15. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Aerial Ace, Fury Attack, Leer, Peck. Ability: Keen Eye (prevents accuracy loss). Spearow has a very loud cry that can be heard over half a mile away. If its high, keening cry is heard echoing all around, it is a sign that they are warning each other of danger.

Himchan takes out a Pokeball from his bag and touches Spearow’s head with it, the Pokemon bowing its head for Himchan to do so. A red light Spearow into the Pokeball. It doesn’t even shake three times before it clicks, and Spearow is now Himchan’s Pokemon.

“Looks like resting here’s done some good for all of us,” Yongguk says, as Himchan throws open Spearow’s Pokeball, releasing the Pokemon. Spearow moves to perch itself on Himchan’s shoulder.

“Now that that’s settled,” Daehyun says, Plusle sitting cheerfully on his head, “we should go find a place to stay.”

Himchan looks up at the sky. The sun is about to set soon, the red ball of light sinking behind the canyon’s great walls.

“There’s a hotel somewhere in the middle of the canyon,” Yongguk says. “If we hurry, we can still make it.”

****************************
Pokedex entries gathered:

-Abra

File:063Abra.png

-Lopunny

Lopunny

-Drowzee

Drowzee

-Gothita

Gothita

-Plusle

Plusle

-Minun

Minun

-Floette

Red Flower

-Ariados

Ariados

-Spearow

Spearow

Cameo appearances:

-Alakazam

Alakazam

-Scizor

Scizor

-Grovyle

Grovyle

********************

Daehyun's Pokemon:

-Cottonee. Level 23. Type: Grass/Fairy. Moves learned: Growth, Razor Leaf, Poison Powder, Leech Seed.
-Monferno. Level 20. Type: Fire/Fighting. Moves learned: Mach Punch, Flame Wheel, Taunt, Fury Swipes.
-Bagon. Level 21. Type: Dragon. Moves learned: Bite, Dragonbreath, Focus Energy, Headbutt
-Plusle. Level 14. Type: Electric. Moves learned: Encore, Bestow, Spark, Helping Hand

Youngjae's Pokemon:

-Petilil. Level 22. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Growth, Magical Leaf, Stun Spore, Leech Seed.
-Lopunny. Level 20. Type: Normal. Moves learned: Quick Attack, Baby-Doll Eyes, Return, Endure.
-Braixen. Level 19. Type: Fire. Moves learned: Psybeam, Tail Whip, Flame Charge, Howl.
-Cubone. Level 13. Type: Ground. Moves learned: Growl, Leer, Bone Club, Headbutt.

Jongup's Pokemon:

-Helioptile. Level 26. Type: Normal/Electric. Moves learned: Charge, Parabolic Charge, Quick Attack, Razor Wind.
-Lucario. Level 28. Type: Fighting/Steel. Moves learned: Feint, Aura Sphere, Swords Dance, Foresight.
-Araquanid. Level 27. Type: Water/Bug. Moves learned: Bite, Bug Bite, Bubblebeam, Aqua Ring.
-Servine. Level 24. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Mega Drain, Growth, Leaf Tornado, Wrap.
-Minun. Level 14. Type: Electric: Moves learned: Encore, Switcheroo, Spark, Helping Hand.

Junhong's Pokemon:

-Clefairy. Level 22. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Wake-Up Slap, Sweet Kiss, Pound, Magical Leaf
-Weepinbell. Level 23. Type: Grass/Poison. Moves learned: Vine Whip, Sleep Powder, Poison Powder, Acid.
-Meditite. Level 25. Type: Fighting/Psychic. Moves learned: Hidden Power, Confusion, Calm Mind, Force Palm
-Totodile. Level 17. Type: Water. Moves learned: Scratch, Scary Face, Water Gun, Bite.

Yongguk's Pokemon:

-Rufflet. Level 22. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Hone Claws, Scary Face, Fury Attack, Wing Attack
-Houndour. Level 23. Type: Fire/Dark. Moves learned: Odor Sleuth, Ember, Howl, Bite
-Ariados. Level 22. Type: Bug/Poison. Moves learned: Infestation, Shadow Sneak, Scary Face, Absorb
-Grovyle. Level 19. Type: Grass. Moves learned: Fury Cutter, Mega Drain, Leer, Pursuit.

Himchan's Pokemon:

-Floette. Level 20. Type: Fairy. Moves learned: Fairy Wind, Razor Leaf, Lucky Chant, Healing Wish.
-Kirlia. Level 22. Type: Fairy/Psychic. Moves learned: Disarming Voice, Heal Pulse, Confusion, Magical Leaf
-Brionne. Level 20. Type: Water. Moves learned: Icy Wind, Baby-Doll Eyes, Disarming Voice, Aqua Jet
-Poochyena. Level 17. Type: Dark. Moves learned: Bite, Roar, Howl, Odor Sleuth
-Spearow. Level 15. Type: Normal/Flying. Moves learned: Aerial Ace, Fury Attack, Pursuit, Leer.