A Fresh New Start

(Best Absolute) Pokemon Trainers

“Those in favour of Exile, raise your hands.”

Kim Junmyeon watches as his brethren bring their hands above their heads, while his remains clasps, elbows resting on the table. Each of them has on a steely look, the younger ones’ eyes are darting around, hands raised, as if they’re wondering why people like Junmyeon disagree with the punishment.

He then stares straight at the girl who flanked by a man and his Machoke, her eyes widening in horror at the number of hands raised. She tries to struggle, but the Machoke holds her fast to her place at the end of the long table.

“Ten out of thirteen have voted for Exile,” Irene says, her Scizor behind her raising its metal claw. “I, Irene Bae, as acting Champion of the Oakre region, sentence Kim Yerim to the world Beyond.”

“No!” Yerim shrieks. “Please, no!”

The screaming girl is dragged away as an attendant takes a yellow belt, Pokeballs placed inside the grooves. They appear to be shaking, and Junmyeon can only imagine it to be out of anger. The attendant shuts the door behind him as he exits with his Machoke.

That was depressing, Junmyeon thinks as Irene settles back down at her seat, Scizor continuing to stand behind her.

“With Yerim expelled, the Marshusk Gym is missing a leader. We will put up applications for the new leader immediately after this meeting,” Irene says. The scribe, Seulgi, begins scribbling down on her notepad.  “As usual, the testers would be me and Yixing. Baekhyun, do put out advertisements for the position.”

Nothing much is discussed after the sentencing and it is adjourned quickly after. As usual, Irene leaves from the door meant only for the Champion leading to the Champion’s chambers. The other Gym Leaders and Elite Four file out using the other door, mingling and talking, Pokemon either beside or behind them.

“She seemed less y than usual.”

Junmyeon nearly jumps as Baekhyun sidles up to him, smartphone in hand, Ribombee flitting at his side, wings beating hard. It and Jellicent strike up a conversation consisting of noises that Junmyeon cannot decipher.

“Don’t use the ‘B’-word, Baekhyun,” Junmyeon says, tutting. They wait for the elevator outside the room along with Faultmount Leader Do Kyungsoo and Souldrop Leader Kim Jongin.

“What ‘B’-word? You mean ‘y’?” Baekhyun waggles his brows. Junmyeon really wants to strangle him. “But you must admit that it’s true.”

Well, Junmyeon does agree with Baekhyun. He doesn’t like the way Irene does things—her way or the highway. And as she is the acting Champion, they can’t question her authority. The elevator dings and the Trainers enter the elevator. All conversation has ceased and the only sound Junmyeon hears is Baekhyun’s incessant humming. A newly-released song by that idol group SNSD or something.

When Junmyeon reaches his dorm room, he is so tired that he plops onto the bed ungracefully, Jellicent making a discontent noise. Junmyeon unclasps his Pokebelt from his waist and places it on the table, returning Jellicent to its Ultra Ball.

Tomorrow, he’d have a new set of challengers and he’s going to beat them all so they’d know the true power of an Elite Four. One day, Irene will get replaced, and he tells himself he’d relish that.

*

“Recently, there has been a sudden increase in the number of Feral Pokemon attacks near Springfall Town and Columinus Town. Champion Irene would like to—”

Daehyun stares at the blank television screen, remote control still in hand. It’s the same thing over and over. Champion Irene this, Champion Irene that. Cottonee is curled up beside him, soft body leaning against his thigh.

A knock on the door has him rising from his seat on the couch and walking over, opening up to find Yoo Youngjae, his best friend of eighteen years standing there, Petilil at his side. Petilil is bouncing about, its eyes turning into crescents as he rushes up to Cottonee.

“It’s almost time. Are you prepared?” Youngjae asks. He’s all dressed in his Trainer garb—a cap with a Pokeball logo on his head, a bright yellow jacket and three-quarters black pants, complete with a sling bag slung over his shoulder.

“Always.” Daehyun grins, grabs his haversack and dull, grey hoodie from the nearby coatrack. He throws on the hoodie and is greeted by a face full of fresh air and cold breeze the moment he steps out. It’s a cooling weather year-round in Springfall—a good type of weather for Pokemon battles. Just as well. They’re headed for an unprecedented Pokemon Tournament held to choose the best young, aspiring Pokemon Trainers to get a Pokedex from Professor Acacia and to travel Oakre. Maybe the world, if they’re lucky.

Professor Acacia is the world-renowned Pokemon professor who studies Pokemon abilities. Every Pokemon has an ability—usually beneficial, but sometimes, hindering. A Pokedex is a high-tech device meant to store information on Pokemon met; an encyclopaedia of sorts.

Daehyun hadn’t really want any part in this—he’s just an eighteen-year-old enjoying his sedentary life of sitting in front of the television, perpetually surfing channels and growing up to become a successful fisherman just like his father, mother and grandparents. He had come from a long line of fisherman who made a fortune specifically because Springfall is beside a large lake, where various species of fish Pokemon reside—Pokemon not seen anywhere else in Oakre.

Youngjae, on the other hand, had always been enamoured by the dream of becoming an adventurer who toured cities and towns, meeting new people and Pokemon and gaining new experiences and all that . So when Professor Acacia had announced a Springfall and Crispleaf Pokemon Tournament to choose the lucky receivers of the Pokedex, Youngjae had jumped at the chance and signed them up for the Double Battle category.

The tournament is held in the middle of town, at the large podium where the mayor stands to give announcements. The town’s population is tiny, with only about twenty people living here, but because of the competitors and spectators who have come over from Columinus Town, it suddenly feels too crowded. There are quite a few tents erected for the competitors and the sponsors offering beverages, food, battle items, Pokedolls and others. The whole event gives off the same vibes that a carnival would.

The other competitors don’t look like they would put up a good fight. Youngsters, lasses, hikers, backpackers…most of them are kids in their teens, just like Daehyun and Youngjae. The advertisement did mention there was an age limit of 25 years old. Daehyun settles himself down in a plastic chair, Cottonee hopping up to his lap and he scratches its cotton-filled body. Youngjae plops himself down next to Daehyun, not caring that he has just bumped into the man next to him (who shot him a dirty look).

Daehyun chances a glance at the other competitors’ Pokemon. A Rattata, Fletchling, three Geodude, Gothita and the list goes on.

There is the sudden screeching of a microphone and Daehyun flinches. He watches as a man walks on stage and literally screams into the microphone. As if his voice isn’t loud enough. Daehyun squints. This man looks familiar. He is silver-haired and dressed gaudily in a sparkling golden outfit with coloured gems lining his cufflinks. He is accompanied by a Ribombee, wings glistening as it hovers by his head.

“Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen!” the man booms. “My name is Byun Baekhyun of the Elite Four”—no wonder he looked familiar—“and I will be your emcee for the Springfall Pokedex Tournament!” Baekhyun winks and Daehyun fights the urge to roll his eyes as some people actually swoon.

“Let’s invite the lead organizer of the event, Professor Acacia, to say a few words before we commence. Professor Acacia, please.”

A rather plump woman dressed in a white lab coat, scampered onto stage, glasses perched atop her face. She looks ordinary, by any standards, except for the large, golden hoop earrings dangling by her lobes. She takes the microphone with a soft “Thank you” and turns to speak to the crowd.

“It’s a great pleasure for me to see so many people interested and eager to help with my research,” she says. Her voice is quiet and motherly, almost sweet like cotton candy. She smiles, an arm spreading out in a sweeping gesture. Her Pokemon, Ducklett, waddles up to her, tilting its head at the audience. “As we all know, all Pokemon have abilities. Some may call upon the weather, some may take effect in the middle of a battle. Pokemon’s abilities are mysterious things, and I hope that we can understand it all one day!”

Sensing that her audience is getting a little bored, she announces with a flourish, “And now, let the battles begin!”

The audience burst into cheers and applause, the mood suddenly lifted by the music blasting through the area.

They start with the Single Battle category. A blue-haired kid challenging a backpacker with a Helioptile and Riolu. The backpacker uses a Tynamo and Swirlix. The blue-haired kid wins. The next battle proceeds just as quickly. A birdkeeper’s Taillow and Wingull against a hiker’s Hippopotas and Omanyte.

After a few more rounds of battle, the Single Battle round ends with the blue-haired boy as the winner. He stands proud with his Helioptile on his shoulder and Riolu by his feet. Daehyun observes him carefully. A scrawny kid looking no more than sixteen, dressed in a black, leather jacket and an equally black turtleneck, legs clad in dark blue jeans as he bows politely to the audience.

“And now, it’s time for the Double Battle category!”

When their names are called, Youngjae literally hops from his seat and is already on the podium with his Petilil before Daehyun even reached the steps. He sizes their opponents up. Two young girls with red bows on their heads, hair cut to shoulder length, dressed in identical, yellow dresses. They send out their Pokemon: Plusle and Minun.

“Battle…start!” Baekhyun hollers.

The four Trainers start shouting their commands at once. Cottonee boosts its Special Attack with Growth while Petilil distracts the opponent with an Absorb attack, draining the health of the Plusle. The Plusle channels its power to Minun with Helping Hand and Minun hits with a Spark attack on Cottonee, which braces itself by puffing up its cotton body.

“Fairy Wind!”

A gale of strong, sparkling wind blows through the battlefield, hitting both Minun and Plusle. With the Growth from earlier, Fairy Wind knocks Plusle out with a critical hit, leaving Minun nearly collapsing.Petilil finishes it off with an Absorb.

“Wow, that battle concluded so quickly and finely, if I ever do say so myself!” Baekhyun says, and if Daehyun didn’t imagine it, it sounds as if he’s a little impressed. One of the twins start crying as they walk off the podium. Daehyun feels a little bad – he’s just destroyed their dreams of going on an adventure after all, but Youngjae is humming happily beside him as they walk back to their seat.

The next battle features two teenager backpackers and a boy and a girl. Gulpin and Minccino versus a Spearow and Sentret. The backpackers win.

Daehyun and Youngjae are up on the podium, after fully healing their Pokemon with an attendant. Their Pokemon are raring to go against the Gulpin and Minccino.

“Battle start!”

Minccino attacks with a Baby-Doll Eyes, lowering both Petilil and Cottonee’s Attack stats, but Daehyun knows that it’s not going to work, because all their moves are Special moves. Using the same technique as earlier, Daehyun boosted his Special Attack with Growth and prepares to unleash Fairy Wind.

He narrows his eyes as Petilil finishes its Absorb attack, taking damage from draining health from Gulpin. How is that possible?

Gulpin attacks last with a Poison Gas attack, managing to poison Cottonee, purple spots appearing on its pure white body.

Cottonee unleashes a Fairy Wind, hitting both Minccino and Gulpin. He knows that it wouldn’t be effective against Gulpin, the latter still looking pretty uninjured as compared to Minccino, who has taken a little more damage.

“Petilil, Growth!”

Cottonee keeps the enemies back with another Fairy Wind as Petilil boosts its Special Attack and glows, about to start draining more health. Cottonee retreats for now, hopping back to where Petilil is.

“Fairy Wind!”

“Absorb!”

The same gale of Fairy Wind blows across the battlefield, hitting both Gulpin and Minccino. Petilil hits Minccino with an Absorb attack, since it’s the only attacking move it knows and taking it out.

Gulpin attacks with a Pound attack, hurtling itself into the air and coming down on Petilil, knocking it around. Petilil flings itself back to avoid another Pound attack. Cottonee uses Growth once more while Gulpin is preoccupied with Petilil and uses Fairy Wind again, this time, managing to knock Gulpin out.

Daehyun grabs his knees, not even realizing the sheen of sweat gathered on his forehead. Youngjae looks equally tired as the battle concludes, Cottonee barely hanging on, especially with that poison, and they allow the attendant to heal their Pokemon. Daehyun watches as the backpackers walk off the podium, the girl scratching her head and carrying her Minccino and the boy his Gulpin. They don’t look happy, and Daehyun suspects that he wouldn’t either if they hadn’t won.

“That marks the end of the Springfall Battle Tournament! Now, it’s time to announce the winners!” Baekhyun says, microphone in hand. “First up, the Single Battle category, we have a Moon Jongup from Springfall!” The blue-haired kid from earlier walks up onto the podium where Professor Acacia is waiting. The professor presents the boy with the Pokedex. Everyone claps, and he walks off the podium.

“Next and finally, the Double Battle category. We have Jung Daehyun and Yoo Youngjae, also from Springfall! Wow, and they say that Springfall produces all the Champions. I wonder what these kids will grow up into!” Baekhyun beams as Daehyun and Youngjae goes up to the podium to receive their Pokedexes. Daehyun isn’t sure what to feel about this as his fingers close around the cold metal. His Pokedex is a light grey, gleaming in the midday sun. Youngjae’s is a bright yellow, matching his jacket perfectly.

“Congratulations to the three of you!” Baekhyun says, grinning, Ribombee fluttering around them and clapping with its little hands. “And that’s all for the Battle Tournament! See you all next time! Don’t forget to try out the new Battle Tower that just opened!” He waves at a dispersing crowd, chattering about the battles that just took place. “Goodbye everyone!”

*

Youngjae comes over to Daehyun’s house and sprawls all over the couch on his stomach with Petilil resting on his back. He has his Pokedex flipped open, watching as the P3 Lab logo appearing as it boots up. The loading bar fills and the first thing they see is the image of an envelope and a message saying: You have 1 new message(s). Perplexed, Daehyun urges Youngjae to open it.

The sender is from the professor herself, and the message states that all Pokedex holders are to meet her at her lab in Columinus Town a day from now, and that includes the Crispleaf winners. The flights to Columinus has already been booked.

Daehyun wonders how different the Crispleaf residents would be. Is their culture much different from Springfall’s? Do they speak a different dialect? Well, probably, considering that Springfall is halfway across Oakre from Crispleaf.

Youngjae closes the message and he’s brought to the home screen of the Pokedex. It appears to double as a phone and an encyclopaedia, complete with a notepad, map and music player function. Youngjae begins to explore the Pokedex, eyes lighting up with newfound interest at his little plaything.

Daehyun wonders about that blue-haired guy, though. The first time he’s seen the dude, he’d just moved into Springfall. There isn’t much to the town, besides the large lake housing exotic Pokemon, and most teenagers would prefer the bustling city of Sparkridge or near Snowberry, where the National University of Oakre (NUO) is situated. It is interesting that someone like him would take up residence here. Only to live for a few months and go on an adventure, leaving the house virtually abandoned.

“I’m going out for a ride,” Daehyun calls, holding up a hand to make his point. Youngjae yells an “Okay!” and flips over on his stomach, eyes fixated on his little gadget. Youngjae has been fond of machines and mechanical things for as long as Daehyun had known him (practically all his life), once even proudly announcing that he wanted to work as an engineer or a mechanic when he grows up. While his goals now may have been slightly different from when he was a little boy, his determination sure hasn’t.

Daehyun walks down the path to the jetty and the lake. It’s a short, dirt track, covered almost entirely by shrubbery and foliage. The sounds of chirping of Bug Pokemon becomes somewhat-soothing background noise as Daehyun pushes away a curtain of ivy and is greeted by the welcoming sight of the lake.

Lake Mystic has an island smack-dab in the middle of it, housing what looks to be a tiny cavern. The entrance to the cavern is sealed though, if there is an entrance of any sort. Daehyun has circled the island once or twice but never actually found a way to enter, so he’s given up since last spring.

Daehyun sees the boat still tied to the jetty, and hopes that no Finneon or Magikarp decided to jump too high and land in his boat. Or that no Poliwag brought its band of Poliwhirls to raid the boat because there’s literally nothing in there except for his bait and tackle…and his cabin. Oh, right, and Youngjae’s cabin. The boy’s cabin has been untouched since the start of last autumn, since he didn’t want to accompany Daehyun on his trips down to Lake Mystic anymore.

Daehyun unties the rope the moment he gets onto the boat, and starts up the motor, Cottonee right by his side, looking as if it’s preparing to soak up the water with its cotton body from the way it’s staring at it. Or maybe it’s just staring at its own reflection.

The boat begins to move, and soon enough, they’re sailing across the water. Daehyun has always liked the water, and people wonder why he doesn’t own a Water-type Pokemon. Truth to be told, he gets a little sickened whenever he sees a Water-type, especially since they catch Water-types for food for a living.

Daehyun rides the boat out to his usual spot in the middle of the lake (near the cavern) and stops. He leans back against the deckchair on the boat and watches as Cottonee hangs from the side of the boat, trying to touch the water. There is the sound of a splash and Daehyun sighs, ambling over to where Cottonee fell in and fishes it out of the water.

“You’re heavy,” Daehyun mumbles, placing Cottonee’s soaked body on the boat. Beside them, Finneon leap out of the water, the arc of droplets shimmering in the daylight. At the far end of the lake, Daehyun can see a flock of Psyduck and Golduck. It’s almost surreal, and Daehyun cannot imagine what the world will be like without Pokemon.

His thoughts are interrupted by the rocking of the boat. Violently. Daehyun furrows his brows as he looks up at the sky. No rainclouds, so the Magikarp shouldn’t be acting up. Then what…?

A loud rumbling sound shakes the boat, nearly tipping it as a large wave hits the side. Daehyun is thrown to the edge, fingers of one hand gripped tight around the railing so he doesn’t fall in while he has one arm around Cottonee.

The boat drifts further and further away from the cavern, the multitude of waves knocking it further and further back.

Then, something rises out from the water. Daehyun stares at it in majestic wonder and a greater-than-slight hint of fear. It’s nothing like he’s ever seen! Aren’t Gyarados supposed to be blue? He watches as this red Gyarados roar a deafening roar and from its mouth, a beam is fired at a copse of trees. The trees burst into flame, and immediately, the fire begins to spread.

Daehyun stares at the spectacle, gaping as the red Gyarados fires another beam at the other side of the lake. Daehyun feels the boat hit something and realizes he’s hit the bank of the lake. He scrambles out of the boat. He’s got to get back to Springfall. The fire will spread. The people have to evacuate, or they’ll die.

Unfortunately, his movements are too erratic, too loud, and before he realizes it, a shot from the Gyarados’s mouth misses him by inches, crashing into the trees behind him and taking out a whole line of it, sending Bug and bird Pokemon scuttling and flying away.

Daehyun trips and lands ungracefully on his stomach, the sharp prickly bushes scratching up his skin. They’re going to hurt later, but the adrenaline is keeping Daehyun numb to the pain. The red Gyarados loses interest in Daehyun and starts firing beams at the bird Pokemon flying away. Daehyun keeps Cottonee close to him as he picks himself up and continues running, ignoring the singed carcass of a bird Pokemon falling from the sky.

He eventually makes it to the flaming path, the same path he took to come here. The fire has grazed most plants to the ground. There’s no way he’d be able to get back to Springfall this way. Not with Cottonee, who is equally, if not more, sensitive to fire.

“Watch it!”

Daehyun’s collar is yanked and he topples backwards, letting out a less than manly shriek as he lands on his rear end. He looks up to find that where he was standing just a while ago is now nothing more than burned foliage.

He turns to come face-to-face with the blue-haired boy, green Pokedex in hand, open and switched on, displaying a picture of the red Gyarados. Helioptile and Riolu are crouched in the undergrowth.

Gyarados. Level 55. Type: Water/Flying. Ability: Intimidate. Moves learned: Hyper Beam, Rain Dance, Hurricane, Dragon Dance. It fires hyper beams in all directions, burning the surrounding area to ash. There are some regions where it's called “the deity of destruction.”

“What did you do?” the blue-haired kid accuses in a low voice, almost like a growl. Daehyun immediately feels offended. He didn’t do anything. He was just out on a ride like any other day. Daehyun splutters, unable to give a coherent answer.

“Use your Cottonee’s cotton to put out the fire!” the blue-haired kid says harshly. “I’ll deal with the Gyarados. If it keeps on rampaging like this…”

Another Hyper Beam hits a little too close, Helioptile’s ear almost catching fire. The lizard Pokemon’s eyes are wide.

Daehyun has absolutely no idea what this boy is talking about, but he does as he’s told, much to his irritation. Cottonee is still wet from dropping into the boat earlier, and with the soggy cotton, Daehyun figures it might just work.

Cottonee sends its cotton spores towards the flames, drenching the fire and stopping the spread of flames. Meanwhile, Blue Hair has moved from his position and is now nearer the lake, Helioptile by his side. Riolu isn’t.

“Shock Wave.”

Helioptile sends a wave of electricity towards Gyarados, hitting its fins, drawing its attention towards them. Of course, Daehyun thinks the blue-haired guy has a death wish, because the Gyarados seems to be summoning some tornado and throwing it their way.

“Move!” Blue Hair grabs Daehyun’s dumbfounded figure and shoves him to the side. The tornado uproots the trees, takes almost everything with it spiralling into the sky above. Daehyun flinches as he watches the tornado breeze them by.

“Riolu!”

The blue Pokemon comes out of nowhere, a large tree in its hands. Daehyun just stares because how does something so small pick up something so huge? The Riolu swings the log at the Gyarados with ease, batting the blue sea dragon in the side and sending it crashing into the water.

On Blue Hair’s command, Helioptile charges the trunk with concentrated electricity from a Thundershock and Riolu slams it down onto the Gyarados that’s attempting to rise again, effectively knocking it out.

Daehyun stares as Blue Hair’s Pokemon gather around his feet again. He picks up Helioptile and lets it sit on his shoulder. He turns to Daehyun, scowl on his face.

“The Gyarados was rampaging. I assume you have something to do with it?” Blue Hair says, sounding a little infuriated. Daehyun, getting offended once again, makes it clear. He folds his arms across his chest, huffing. Cottonee shies away from Blue Hair at his feet, sensing the tension.

“Excuse me, doesn’t mean I was there means I was the cause,” Daehyun hisses.

“No,” Blue Hair agrees. “You’re just a possibility with a higher chance of happening. Who else could it have been?”

“I don’t know. I mean, the Gyarados could have been rampaging by itself. Plus, I’ve never seen a red Gyarados in this lake before. Ever.”

“It was red because it was Shiny,” Blue Hair corrects. “A Shiny Gyarados—a differently-coloured Gyarados from the usual blue one. The last red Gyarados ever seen was in Johto’s Lake of Rage.”

“Yeah, well, like I care,” Daehyun retorts.

“Go back to the town,” Blue Hair says, finality in his voice, turning towards Lake Mystic. The forest fire has sort of burned out, and the lake is peaceful once again, save for a giant tree floating in the middle, and Daehyun’s boat, miraculously unharmed, bumping against the bank. “Go back to the town and check for casualties.”

Daehyun hears the sound of ringing—a melodious sound—and he realizes it’s coming from his Pokedex. He picks it up and a phone icon blinks, prompting him to press “Answer”. He does and puts the Pokedex to his ear. “Hello?”

“Oh Arceus, thank Arceus you’re alive!” Youngjae’s more-than-relieved voice has Daehyun flinching from the sheer volume of it. “Quick! You gotta come back! Like, right now!”

“I’ll…I’m on my way,” Daehyun says. With another promise that he’d not throw himself into any dangerous situation unnecessarily, Daehyun slips the Pokedex back into his pocket. Blue Hair is still staring at the lake expectantly. Daehyun is hoping he isn’t expecting the red Gyarados to pop out again, because Daehyun certainly doesn’t want to risk Springfall burning to cinders if it hasn’t already.

Daehyun makes his way down the burned path, the smell of nature burned to a crisp filling his nostrils. It smells like destruction. He tries not to look as he steps over the burned corpse of a Venipede.

Springfall comes into view, but it’s not the same Springfall a few hours ago. His house, the one nearest Lake Mystic, is barely standing, the top half having collapsed to the side. There is a house that looks like it’s burned to the ground, its occupants nowhere to be seen.

“Oh my Arceus, Dae!”

Youngjae’s Petilil tackles him out of nowhere, and Daehyun bites out an “Oof!” as he’s shoved. Youngjae appears and throws his arms around Daehyun’s neck, choking the life out of him.

“H-Hey, I’m okay,” Daehyun uses his strength and forces Youngjae off of him, rubbing at his neck. Damn, the boy has got to cut his nails. “I’m not dead!”

“I mean, I could have inherited your house if you died,” Youngjae says thoughtfully. Daehyun rolls his eyes. “But it’s great you’re alive, you know. I mean, imagine dying before even starting your adventure.” Trust Youngjae to think of the adventure at a time like this when the entire town is in ruins. Youngjae tells him that no one died—just injured. Daehyun nods, relieved that he isn’t dealing with the deaths of people he knows.

The bedroom isn’t too badly affected, and Daehyun makes sure that he doesn’t step where the house looks like it may collapse at any moment. Youngjae ends up making his home on the floor of Daehyun’s bedroom—his own house had been decimated by the Gyarados’s attack. Youngjae asks Daehyun what happened, and what could Daehyun do? He tells Youngjae the story of the battle against the fearsome red Gyarados.

“Wait, so the dude who beat the red Gyarados was the winner of the Single battle just now? Holy , that was something I’ve gotta see,” Youngjae’s eyes are wide and his tone excited, but Daehyun knows that 1) he wouldn’t trade his place with Youngjae; the guy would just end up getting killed, and 2) he doesn’t want to think about what would happen if Blue Hair wasn’t there.

“His name is Moon Jongup,” Youngjae supplies helpfully. “And he’s the other Pokedex holder, so…and we’re meeting the other Pokedex holders tomorrow! Do you think we’ll travel together? Or separately? I mean…” Youngjae continues rambling on and on about the adventure that’s going to be happening two days from now, with Daehyun too worn out from the earlier encounter to even nod or acknowledge what Youngjae is saying.

The mayor had called an emergency meeting, with one of the Elite Four (Head of Damage Control, Park Sooyoung) having arrived in the town with her team of trainers to deal with the damage. Tents are being set up for those who have lost their homes, and Daehyun and Youngjae find themselves being shoved into one of those tents because their house is deemed too unsafe to live in.

When night time rolls around, Youngjae is sound asleep. Daehyun is surprisingly still wide awake, lying on his back, Cottonee asleep on his stomach, staring up at the tent’s ceiling. Tomorrow, they’re going to make their way to Columinus Town. They’re going to start their adventure, journeying across the Oakre region on a grand quest to fill the Pokedex. Needless to say, he’s a little excited.

He turns to his side and snuggles into the blanket, curling an arm around Cottonee. Lulled by the faint snores of the other occupants in the tent, it’s not long before Daehyun falls asleep.

*

Springfall awakens the next morning to near-silence. Daehyun and Youngjae scrounge around the remains of their half-destroyed house for Potions and whatever else they might need on their journey. It isn’t much—a couple of Potions, five Pokeballs each, their Pokemon, and they’re ready to leave.

“Hey, isn’t that—” Youngjae squints and Daehyun narrows his eyes at the familiar mop of blue hair that is Moon Jongup, faithful Riolu and Helioptile by his side. He has his Pokedex in hand and is preparing to make his way down Route 1 to Columinus Town.

“Hey!” Youngjae calls, waving his hands frantically as he strides over to Jongup. Daehyun sighs inwardly and follows. Who knows what kind of trouble Youngjae’s going to get himself into? Especially with -extraordinaire Moon Jongup.

Jongup blatantly ignores Youngjae’s presence, only responding with a grunt of annoyance when the latter begins to wave a hand in front of him, between his face and the Pokedex. Daehyun hates to admit it, but his Riolu and Helioptile are striking up some kind of conversation with his Cottonee and Youngjae’s Petilil.

“What is it?” he slips his Pokedex back into his pocket and looks up at Youngjae, all signs of irritation gone from his features.

“You know, since we’re all Pokedex holders now, why don’t we travel together? We’re meeting those peeps from Crispleaf tomorrow anyways, so we can stay in the same inn and stuff,” Youngjae says, almost pleadingly. “In the meantime, we can get to know each other.”

Jongup shrugs, but says nothing. Youngjae takes it that “silence means consent” and proceeds to bombard the boy with questions which he answers with either a grunt (Yes/No questions) or a short answer of a maximum of three words. At least he’s giving answers. Youngjae doesn’t seem to mind the fruitlessness of his attempts as he continues talking enough for the three of them.

Daehyun turns back to look at Springfall again. Half the town has been blown to bits by a freak Pokemon attack. Townspeople are working to rebuild the town, but who knows when something like the red Gyarados would show up again?

“Recently, there has been a sudden increase in the number of Feral Pokemon attacks near Springfall Town and Columinus Town.” A small voice chirrups in his head.

Maybe the Gyarados appearance wasn’t coincidence after all.

Nevertheless, he follows after Jongup and Youngjae, keeping Cottonee close to him as he takes in the scent of new adventure.

Leaving a town in ruins behind him.

*

Pokedex entries gathered:

- Cottonee
- Petilil
- Riolu
- Helioptile
- Gyarados

Daehyun's Pokemon:

Cottonee: Level 6. Grass/Fairy-type. Moves learned: Growth, Absorb, Fairy Wind. Ability: Prankster (priority given to status moves)

Youngjae's Pokemon:

Petilil: Level 6. Grass-type. Moves learned: Growth, Absorb. Ability: Own Tempo (prevents confusion)

Jongup's Pokemon:

Helioptile. Level 10. Normal/Electric-type. Moves learned: Pound, Tail Whip, Thundershock, Shock Wave. Ability: Sand Veil (raises evasion in sandstorm weather)
Riolu. Level 12. Fighting-type. Moves learned: Feint, Counter, Foresight, Quick Attack. Ability: Inner Focus (prevents flinching)