chapter 9

INFATUATED ➣ KSJ.JJK

"Jungkook, please wake up we have a meeting with your principal. Don't make this hard for me," I beg, smacking the boy with one of his pillows. He lets out a small yelp as he falls out of bed, I watch as he stumbles to his bathroom half asleep.

I sigh to myself as I walk into the hallway, leaning my back against the wall as I wait for the younger. He got in trouble, he isn't the type to get into a fight, he's a good kid but I don't know him well enough no matter how much I pretend to.

 It hurts, the thought that my child has become a stranger and yet it's all my fault. I let him slip away too easily, I can't sit here and tell myself there was nothing I could do when that's a lie. It was never out my hands, my son coming back was never out of reach.

This bedroom creaks open and he walks out now wide awake. "Are we going now?" He asks, his voice deep and raspy.

"Um, do you want to eat breakfast first? We still have some time," I question and he shakes his head in response. "Alright, let's go then."

The car ride to his school was silent, my attempts to start a conversation failed as he would either roll his eyes or sigh in response. "Let's go," I mutter unbuckling my seat belt, and he does the same.

We both step out of the car and walk into the school building, making our way to the office. He takes a seat in a chair,  while I greet the secretaries as I sign in. "Mr. Lim will be with you soon," one says with a plastic smile, I nod and take a seat next to the younger.

I look over at Jungkook, a somber look is drawn on his face as he shakes his taps his foot lightly. "I didn't do anything wrong," he whispers, looking over at me.

"What do you-"

"Ah, Mr. Kim and Jungkook. You two can come in now" Mr. Lim sighs, as he holds the door open for us. Jungkook and I walk into his stuffy office, the lack of light gives the small room a dreary look. Mr. Lim lets the door close before taking a seat at his desk, motion for the both of us to do the same. We shoot each other a knowing look and take a seat in the uncomfortable chairs.

"So Mr. Kim I think you know I called the both of you here," he speaks, folding his hands against the desk and straightening his back out.

"Yes, Jungkook got into a small fight with another student," I answer shifting around in the small seat.

"A small fight? He put the boy in the hospital," Mr. Lim scoffs I look over at Jungkook, his fists are clamped as he bites the side of his cheek. "I'm sorry, but we have to suspend Jungkook."

My eyes widen and I look at the younger, Jungkook has never been a hostile kid. "B-but it's his first week of school," I stutter out shocked.

"He put a boy in the hospital, your son is a threat to others," he explains, shifting a look over to Jungkook.

"It was self-defense," Jungkook whispers, his leg now shaking. "Please don't take his side on this."

Jungkook looks over at me with pleading eyes, I muster up a smile before looking over at Mr. Lim. "I'm sorry sir but that boy started the fight so I would assume he's being suspended as well, right?" I question, with a dark stare.

"He put the boy in the hospital," he states again, his voice becoming firmer.

"I understand that, but it was out of self-defense. Jungkook isn't the troublemaker here," I argue, the older let out a dry cough as he looks away from my gaze. "I'm not saying that Jungkook shouldn't get punished for what he did, but for him to be the only one is unfair."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
Mr. Lim sighs and nods as he unfolds his hands. "You're right, I'm sorry Mr. Kim. Maybe he can just have detention for a week? And the same for the other child," he suggests with a weak smile.

"Yes, that sounds fair right Jungkook?" I question, looking over at the younger who nods quickly.

"Um well, thank you for meeting with me. Goodbye sir and Jungkook," the older says meekly, walking over and holding the door open for us.

"Same to you, Mr. Lim. Let's go Kookie," I scoff with a fake smile plastered across my face. 

We walk out of the building, getting inside of the car. I look over at Jungkook as he stares down at his lap. "Something else happened that day, right?" I question, gazing over at the younger who remains silent as he fiddles with his fingers. "You won't tell me because you're trying to protect someone."

He looks up at me with wide eyes, opening his mouth to speak but nothing comes out. His eyebrows frow as he turns away, directing his attention the window. "How did you know? I promised him I wouldn't say a thing. The guy, he hurt someone I know and that someone doesn't want others to know," he confesses.

"Jimin is that someone, isn't he?" I question gaining a shocked look from the younger. "You haven't changed a bit. What's wrong?"

"I know this is completely off topic, but it has been on my mind for too long. What happened to my mom?" He asks suddenly. 

I smile grimly, as I start the car. "Um, can we talk about this another day?" I question, looking away from the younger, he hums quietly.

Why does he want to know about her?