Chapter 34

Need Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Horrible rumors are increasing and spreading, getting worse day by day. After ‘the kiss scandal’ on the begining, then ‘former leader girl group who lack on attitude’, ‘angry man who swung baseball bat’, then ‘the man who took care hospital administration’, ‘GFriend members support their scandalious former leader’, haters bashing a lot on Sojung, and start to demand a ‘social punishment’ with accusation as ‘’, that Sojung doesn’t deserve to live comfortably in the community. Netizen are scary. They cruelly judging as majority. They ignore the fact that their position is just as an outsider of Sojung’s life, they actually don’t know what really happened. And they not even trying to know to get better understanding. They just take what they thought gonna ‘useful’ to worse the mess. More mess, more merrier, more fun. That’s the cruel of majority strength that Sojung has to bear. It’s painfully torturing her. She worrying her family who live at Seoul, especially her Eomma and Unnie. She also worry about GFriend and SouMu Company, who also affected. How they gonna deal with it…

 

 

But fortunately there’s still good things that happen on Sojung’s life.

At Jeju, an island who separated from the main land of South Korea, an island with beautiful nature, that charmed every travellers who come to visit, also impressive hospitality of Jeju citizen that makes them want to stay longer. Jeju maybe not as sophisticated as Seoul, just like tipical countryside that have concern on well relation of neighbourhood.

That what’s happen to Sojung…

Her neighbours, her regular customers, friends, people that she knows pretty well from all her years in Jeju are seems not disturbed by those rumours. When they heard about Joonwoo condition, they came to the hospital to visit him. They behave the same as usual. They came with smile. They bring food that they cooked or fruits from their yard or even flowers that they picked from their garden as gifts. They encouraging for Joonwoo to get better fast, and Sojung to stay strong. It makes Yerin and SinB can’t held back to wondering…

 

Are they really sincere or maybe just pretending?

 

Yerin and SinB glance at each other, sort of doing telepathy to figured out on how they should behave on that kinda situation. They can’t help to had a vague that such heartwarming situation from sincere people is exist in this real life, it’s too good to be true. They afraid to believe, afraid that they gonna betrayed by that ‘sweet wish’. So they decided to just trying to stay alert, since it feels uneasy to be true.

 

SinB brace herself, as she asks, “I beg you pardon.. are the people who wander around Sojung Unnie’s house are still there?”

Sojung is fail to held herself back to glaring on that young savage girl, curse her for insensitive to bring up that topic, that she actually promise herself won’t ever talk about it with anybody else out from her ‘inner circle’.

But it’s too late, SinB already bring it out.

“No. they’re gone already from there. But I think I saw them here, on the hospital.” The ahjumma who lives acrossed the street of Sojung’s shop is who calmly answering SinB’s question.

“Who are they actually? Is it true like what people said that they are ‘press medias’? news seeker from Seoul?” the ahjussi wondering.

Sojung is having difficulty to answer that. But she actually doesn’t has to be worry, because Yerin able to talk on her behalf.

“Yes, they are.”

“So it also true what the news said about Sojung?” the ahjumma ask.

“Which parts do you mean?” Yerin calmly asks back with smile.

“That Sojung is former idol girl-group leader?”

“That’s true. She was our group leader years ago.”

Those people look surprised, but also become excited to heard that.

 

“No wonder that she’s so beautiful. Such a smooth talker. Charming. I’ve been thought that Sojung should be a celebrity.” Mr. Baek -- who also come to visit -- excitedly said, then turn to staring at Sojung more intensely, scanning her from head to toe, that makes Sojung feels awkward.

Yerin and SinB chuckle to heard that.

“Then are you both idols too?” The halmonie (granny) asks.

Yerin and SinB nod, “Yes, we are.”

“Wow! I’m talking with celebrities?! May I have your signature hand and take photos?” the Ahjussi excitedly asks.

“Do you know our group?” SInB asks.

The Ahjussi shake his head, “I’m sorry, but I actually don’t know. I barely watch TV, I used to spent my time on the sea catch fish or at the field, work on my buckwheat. I just want show off to my friends that I’ve met celebrity.” The Ahjussi coyly grinning.

Yerin and SinB laugh, but still they politely give him a fan service.

 

“Uhmm… but how do you think about the news?” Yerin carefully questioning again.

“The news? Which one?” The ahjumma asks.

“Which had you read?” SinB asks.

“I read it all.” Mr. Baek calmly said.

“Me too.” The Ahjussi and Halmonie said.

Sojung, Yerin, and SinB somehow become nervous.

 

“About the kiss… I saw him few time on Sojung’s shop, days before. I think both are already adults, they have sanity to kiss who ever they want. Sojung is single though. So I think that wasn’t a problem.” The Halmonie said.

“But I think that the news were too exaggerated. It’s been ‘spice up’ too much. Well… honestly… I don’t give a damn about it. Sojung on the news is not like Sojung my neighbour that I know for years. You know.. it’s so tipical entertainment news, gossip.”

Sojung, Yerin, and SinB feels so glad to heard that wise comment from the Ahjumma.

Then Mr. Baek responding, “About Hyeokjae who swung the baseball bat. I saw it on the TV for the first time. Then I watched it over and over again from the internet everytime I need to laugh, it’s so funny. Hahaha! I wish I were there, I would help him to shooed them away too.” They all laughing.

“It’s not weird thing to do, though... As a man he did the right thing to help. Also about taking care the administration and stuffs. I can imagine how panic Sojung when Joonwoo fainted. At times like that, it makes sense if she put aside everything else but being by her son’s side. So I think, Hyeokjae was did right and normal.” The Halmonie said while feeding Joonwoo a piece of hotteok (Korean sweet pancakes) that she made and brought for him.

Then the Ahjussi turn to look at Sojung, “I wanna help too though.. Sojung-ah, what can I do to help you?”

Sojung taken aback by that unexpectedly offer.

“Just comfortably tell us when ever you need help, Sojung-ah. We’ve been neighbours for years. We are like family, don’t we? Why don’t you asks my help.” The Ahjumma also said with aegyo pout, pretending to be offended.

Sojung feels her heart become warm to heard that. Her tears is welling up.

The Halmonie come closer and gently rubbing Sojung’s back, “Even though you are not a native citizen like us, and just few years live here, but I want you to know that we are not differentiate you. You are not alone here at Jeju. You don’t have to be worry that those fault news gonna ruin your image on us. You’ve being very nice person to us all these years. We know very well about your kind heart. Your well attitude. You are our beloved neighbour. Those fault news not gonna easily change our perspective on you. You can consider us to be part of your family too. So feel free to ask us to help anytime you need, Sojung-ah.”

Sojung’s tears successfully streaming out by heard that.

“Ouwh~… Sojung-ah.” The Halmonie pull Sojung to her embrace and dearly caressing her hair.

Yerin and SinB deeply touched by that sweet concern from the neighbours and Mr. Baek, it slowly take them to conclusion that ‘sweet things’ are real and exist in this world. It makes them very glad and grateful, that Sojung surrounded by good people.

 

 

Later, after the neighbours and Mr. Baek left…

“Sojung Unnie, you really have very nice neighbours and friends here.” SinB said with witty smirking.

“Yeah. That gonna lessen my worriness when we have to leave you and Joonwoo here while we back to Seoul later.” Yerin said with smile.

Sojung smile and nod. She feels so much better after got the heart warming encouragement from her neighbours.

 

*****

 

Another day…

A warning letter from The Child Support Bureau about adoption disruption came…

“Oh geez… is that really serious? A kid get sick is a common thing, right?” SinB upsetly nag.

“Yeah… I think so too.” Yerin said, then turn to look at Sojung, “Unnie, was Joonwoo never got sick, before?”

“How could a human being can’t get sick along his life? At least for Joonwoo never got sick for his entire 6 years lives is amazing. Sojung Unnie must be the best the greatest Eomma ever that should noted on humanity history. She deserve a noble prize.” SinB said sarcastically.

Sojung sigh, “Never got sick is impossible. Of course Joonwoo had got sick before. Actually… he even pretty often got sick or got injured since he is a very active and energetic kid who.. uhm.. how can I say… he seems have no fear to eat anything. He was happened swallowed one of his car toy tire when he still 3 years old. He also once ate a diarrhea medicine that he thought a candy, that made him got constipation because of that. He also often fell or bumped into something. He even had physical fights for couple of times with his friends before. You know… boy tipical.” Sojung end her sentence with chuckle while dearly staring at her son who watching children show on TV at that time.

Yerin and SinB slightly drop their jaws by heard that.

“Wow… he a bit naughty, huh? Never thought he could did those…” Yerin said as she glance to her nephew.

SinB goes to sit next to her nephew on the bed, “Joonwoo-yah, you did naughty things and brought troubles to your Eomma, did you?”

“I didn’t! I’m a good boy. Right, Eomma?” that kid shout to his Eomma who sitting on the couch with Yerin.

Sojung chuckle and nod.

Joonwoo glaring at his SinB Imo, “See?! I’m a good boy.” He bragging.

SinB laugh, then she pounce her nephew. Joonwoo is fight back. They end up wrestling on the bed. Their bundle of laugh and gleeful screams are filling the room.

 

“Eomma, can we go home today? It’s so boring here and I don’t want to have another medicines, I already got a lot since I’ve been here, it taste bitter and yuck! And I don’t wanna get another shot too. It’s hurt. I hate needle. I wanna go home, please.” Joonwoo whine while trying to get off from SinB’s clamp, that boy is wriggling his entire body.

“You can’t go home until Doctor says so.” Sojung said.

“I’m fine. My belly is not hurt anymore. My dizzy head also not anymore. I wanna go home, Eomma. I’ve been here for days, I miss my friends and school.” Joonwoo keep whining.

“So eat a lot! Eat vegetables, fruits, anything your Eomma give you. It’s good for you. Don’t be such a picky eater. You need to gain energy to get better and show the Doctor that already healthy, Joonwoo.” SinB tell her nephew.

“Then I can go home?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter