Mirage

Affection

“Lee Jaehwan, wake up.”

Why are you trying to make me pity you, Jaehwan-ah. The floor is cold. Please don’t do that, my dongsaeng.

“Lee Jaehwan, ya. On the count of three.”

He was wriggling on the floor trying to digest the fact that he slept there the whole night because of his hyung.

“Hyung, you’re awake. I was just…”

“You are blocking my way. Go back to your room.”

“Help me up, hyung.”

“Stand up yourself.”

“Jaehwan-ah, why are you sitting on the floor?” Taekwoon asked as he came out of his room.

“I’m trying to ask hyung a favor.” taekwoon looked at the nonchalant Hakyeon. “What favor?“ he asked.

“To ask him be the middleman.” Hakyeon snorted.

“Don’t tell me you’ve been sleeping the whole night there?“ As Jaehwan nodded, Taekwoon shook his head in disbelief.

“Good you are here. Educate him a little will you? Teach him how not to be too independent on someone and stand for himself. I hate it that whenever there’s a problem, I’m the one that has to solve it.” Hakyeon requested from Taekwoon.

“Then, isn’t that one of your roles as a leader? Why so sour about it?” Hakyeon stared at him.

“Does that only belong to me, Taek?”

“You’re more skilled in this, definitely they would approach you. Don’t tell me you are being like this for that small matter? Grow up, Hakyeon.”

Hakyeon rolled his eyes and went back to his room, banging the door.

——

The leader heard a loud commotion as soon as he reached outside the practice room.

“Hyung! I just ask you to look after it for a while and now you tell me you lost it?” That was Ravi’s voice. He sounded frustrated yet tired.

“Ravi-ah, it was really in my pocket. I put there safe.“ said Jaehwan.

“It’s an expensive ring I saved few months of my pay just to get that! Hyung, you owe me an explanation by end of the day. Make sure you look for it. I just can’t be bothered with this. Argh!” Wonshik was tired from his schedule having to juggle between the recording and dance practice, in addition, he got some jobs outside Vixx, to compose songs for other groups.

Hakyeon entered and as he walked to the front, he felt Jaehwan’s eyes were following him until he glanced over, they broke eye contact.

“What’s the commotion about?” asked Hakyeon.

No one said anything. Well, who would when nearly everyone’s now are against him.

“Well, never mind. Anyway, I’m here to make an announcement. There will be additional hours of practice starting tomorrow. I’ve discussed this with CEO and he approved.”

Everyone started to grumble as soon as they heard more practice meaning lesser breaks.

“Hyung…” Wonshik sighed. “Are you insane?” He asked, hands on his hips, looking at his hyung as he awaits for an answer.

“No, it’s normal. Nothing wrong.”

“If you didn’t take over the planning of our schedules, I would have the freedom to do as I like.”

“This is an abuse, Cha Hakyeon.“ Taekwoon came to his defence.

“I got updates from CEO that the recording are going on well, expected to finish by next week. It’s logical that I gradually fill up the slots to improve on our dance steps.”

“But Ravi-hyung have other commitments. You are torturing him mentally like this.” added Hyuk.

“Don’t forget I call the shots here.” He looked at Ravi as he uttered those words as if it’s mean for him to hear.

“This really …” Wonshik muttered under his breath, not knowing what to do anymore.

Jaehwan was not really paying attention and Hakyeon noticed it straightaway.

"Stop everyone." Hakyeon turned around.

"What's troubling you? Since the start you got the same part wrong. Why Jaehwan?" asked his leader. Jaehwan tried to mumble some words out but it was all silence. "I'll ask again. What happened just now?" Now he directed the question to everyone.

"He lost my ring. I gave him because i was helping hyung with the car. Then, he told me the ring disappeared."

Hakyeon stood there listened but didn't give any reaction to it. "And because of that, you are distracted?"

"Hyung, believe me. It was in my pocket all along. I didn't purposely lose it."

"Why are you saying that to me? If you lost it, it's your responsibility. I don't know the whole story and it makes me easier to just point finger at you as the culprit."

"Hyung! I didnt...Why can't you believe me?"

"It's not matter of believing. The ring indeed is not in your hands now. What can i say?"

"Stop adding salt to the wound, Hakyeon. Jaehwan, I suggest you go and search the same area again later. I'll accompany you."

"So you still want to continue practice? Or find that ring? Up to you." asked Hakyeon without any silghtest concern towards his dongsaeng.

"Taekwoon hyung, let's find the ring. I think I've used up my energy here."

As both of them walked out, Jaehwan's eyes were intensely staring at the blank Hakyeon, but now with much fury and resentment.

"Are we continuing?" asked Hongbin.

"Let's just end here. No point continuing without the full team."

Without hesitation, Wonshik just rushed over to take his bag and dashed out of the room, heading to his studio while Hongbin and Hyuk exited the room together, without bidding their hyung goodbye.

Hakyeon dragged himself to the area he placed his bag. He searched for something and finally took out what it look like aspirin. 

He braved a throbbing headache the whole day due to insufficent sleep. It was rare for him to be able to have a complete 7 hours sleep per day. These days, he could only sleep for two hours and his eyes would suddenly open and then he couldn't go back to sleep anymore.

He knew Jaehwan slept outside his room the whole night but his anger and ego prevented him from opening and letting him inside. He knew he had to do something to teach them a lesson but he was not always ready especially when he sees them suffers.

As he looked at the Jaehwan's silhouette reflected under the door, he wondered if he did the right thing to ignore him. There were many things playing in his mind and ended up unable to sleep.

"Am I too cruel?" he thought as he took out something from his pocket.

Wonshik's ring.