TALK

Too Little Too Late
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dahyun and Daniel's mom finally arrived at her apartment. She was expecting Daniel to be here already, but surprised to see no signs of him.

He's probably at the hospital, with Sooyoung, her subconscious told her, which she hurriedly brushed off. The thought of it made her stomach churned.

She doesn't want to think anything bad about Sooyoung. She already considered her as a friend even though they barely knew each other.

She's a nice girl, she told herself.

But she's Daniel's first love and ex-girlfriend, another voice rings to her mind.

"Dahyun? Are you okay?"

She was awaken by her deep thoughts when Daniel's mother asked her in a worried tone.

She forced a smile. "I'm fine. Sorry, I'm just tired. It's been a long day," she reasoned out. Yeah, it was indeed a very long and emotional day for her.

"Daniel's not home yet. Where could he be?" Daniel's mom asked no one in particular so Dahyun chose to remain quiet, erasing the thought that Daniel might probably be with Sooyoung right now.

"I heard that there's an upcoming basketball game. He's probably practicing with the rest of the team," Dahyun said, trying to convince herself that he really is.

"Don't you two go home together? I was actually expecting you two to be at the bus stop, but you were alone," she gave Dahyun a worried look. "Did something happened? Did you two fight?" she asked.

Dahyun bite her lip. "Umm," she stuttered, thinking if she should tell her everything or not.

She grabbed Dahyun's hands. "You can tell me everything. Just because I'm his mom, doesn't mean that I should always take his side," she told her.

They both sat at the sofa.

"He did something that made me really upset," Dahyun started. "He kept the truth from me. He didn't tell me that he's secretly seeing his ex-girlfriend," Dahyun stopped for a while, taking a deep breath. "And it turned out that his ex is a new friend of mine," she bitterly smiled. "What a small world."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Daniel's mom gently squeezed her hand. "You see, Sooyoung and Daniel shared a very long past. I know it all, I witnessed it. And I heard that she has an illness."

"Yeah, I work at the hospital where she's currently staying. That's how the two of us met and eventually became friends," Dahyun said. "We were both unaware that we're in love with the same guy," she added. "I mean, I'm not supposed to be bothered about it, since I'm Daniel's current girlfriend. But you see... Sooyoung... She needs Daniel... I know it, she always tells it to me... And I can't help but feel bad by the thought of taking her happiness away from her. I feel so bad even if I don't have to," Dahyun doesn't know that she's already tearing up.

"Come here," she pulled Dahyun in a motherly hug. "I'm so sorry if you feel that way. But honey, have you talked to Daniel about this?" she asked. "There must be a reason why he didn't tell you about it."

"He's been begging me to talk to him. But I asked for some space for now, since I'm still processing everything that happened. It's just so hard for me to take. I feel upset, sad, guilty and hurt," Dahyun said.

"Do you want me to talk him?" she offered.

Dahyun shook her head. "No, it's fine. I know we can fix this. We just need more time."

"I really wish you two can fix your relationship. I'm not forcing you to forgive him, but I want the two of you to sort things out before you regret everything," she told Dahyun. "My son has been through a lot. Ever since his father left us, I did everything to give him a good life. But sadly, I got sick. I feel so bad for my son. He was too young to experience all those hardships on his own. Daniel may look tough on the outside, but inside he's very fragile. He never cries in front of anyone, because he's scared for them to see his weak side."

Dahyun remembered Daniel's crying face when she chose to go with Jihoon last night, when he confessed that he loves her, when she asked him for some space, and when she walked away from him at the gymnasium awhile ago.

She had seen his weak side. Daniel let her see his weak side.

"To be honest, I think I already know the reason why he kept it from you," his mother revealed.

Dahyun stared at her.

"Sooyoung's father was the one who saved my life. He was the one who paid for my hospital expenses back then. He helped me and Daniel to have a better life. That's how he and Sooyoung met and soon started a relationship. When they broke up, Daniel was so devastated. He refused to tell me what really happened. He became distant to anyone, to me."

He must have really loved Sooyoung so much, Dahyun thought, which made her heart swells.

"But a few months after their broke up, the happy and cheerful Daniel was back. I was really surprised yet happy. I thought maybe he and Sooyoung got back together. But I was wrong." She then faced Dahyun, giving her a thoughtful smile. "It was you. You came to his life," she said.

Dahyun was taken a back with her words.

"He's happier, livelier. He was different. A good kind of different," Daniel's mom added. "I witnessed those changes when he visited me once. That's the first time he revealed that he's dating you. He looks really excited to tell everything about you. That's why I grew curious, and really look forward to meet you. Because I want to meet the girl who brought back Daniel's smile," she said sincerel.

"I'm..." Dahyun was loss of words. She just can't seem to handle everything. Daniel is not too expressive with his feelings. He already said before that he's not good with words, nor sweet with his actions. But these... theses things that his mother just said... She can't hide the fact that it made her feel happy.

By the time they started dating, she thought that every actions of Daniel were forced. She felt bad about it, forcing him to like her back. She never thought that all this time he feels this way towards her.

Just then the front door opened, revealing Daniel. His eyes widen with the sight of his mom and... Dahyun.

He can't believe it.

Dahyun is back.

"Mom... What are you doing here? How did you get in here? Why you didn't call that you're coming?" he started bombarding her with lots of questions, but his eyes are fixed at Dahyun.

"I want to pay you a surprise visit," his mother replied.

"But you're not good with directions. What if you get lost?" he sounded really worried.

"I'm fine. I saw Dahyun," she smiled at Dahyun.

"You two haven't met before. How did you know it was her?" he asked in disbelief.

"Well, if you didn't send me lots of pictures of her then I won't recognize her face," his mother revealed.

Wait, what?

Daniel's face became red. "What... Well... I..." he doesn't know what to say. He looks really embarrassed.

"He's been sending me lots of pictures of you. Most of them are st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter