MISTAKE

Too Little Too Late
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When the morning came, Dahyun hurriedly bade her goodbye to Soeul's parents. She gave the little girl a peck on the forehead while she is sleeping. She promised to be back next Saturday to look after Soeul.

She wouldn't be in a rush if she didn't late read all of Daniel's text messages. She was busy looking after Soeul that she forgot her phone, plus Jihoon was also there to keep her preoccupied.

Speaking of Jihoon, she had a hard time sending him off last night. The guy begged to stay with her to look after Soeul so they can at least switch turns. She was surprised that Jihoon even come up with plans so he wouldn't be kick out of the hospital if ever he'll get caught staying that long. But after a lot of convincing, Jihoon finally gave in. Dahyun doesn't really want him to go and she appreciates his effort for helping her out. But there are rules that must be followed. She'd rather get tired by herself, than to drag Jihoon in a mess and get both of them troubled.

When Minhyun started calling her early morning, she instantly flipped and thought that maybe Daniel's at home and waiting for her, probably wondering where she'd been all night. "I must think of an excuse," she said, getting in the elevator.

She was about to step inside, when she suddenly heard a faint voice calling her. She turned around and saw Sooyoung faintly smiling at her. "Hey, good morning," Sooyoung greeted. With careful steps, she approached Dahyun. "It seems like you stayed the whole night here."

Dahyun felt conscious. Was it really obvious? She grabbed her phone to check her face that reflects on the screen.

Sooyoung can't help but chuckle. "You're really cute, Dahyun," she can't help but say. "Don't worry. Even if you have those dark circles under your eyes, you still look pretty."

You're prettier, Dahyun thought. She smiled at Sooyoung and shyly thanked her.

"It seems like you're in a hurry," Sooyoung said. "Sorry for keeping you out that long."

"Umm, yeah. I actually forgot to tell my boyfriend that I won't be coming home until this morning and I think he's worried right now, knowing him... He tends to be --- Oh my gosh!" Dahyun was not able to finish her words when her phone started ringing and she panicked even more when she saw the name of the caller.

Again, it's him. Minhyun.

She wondered why he kept on calling her since last night.

Whatever it is, Dahyun prays that it's not any bad news.

"Go. He's probably waiting for you," Sooyoung told her. "We could talk some other time."

Dahyun gave her an apologetic smile before getting inside the elevator. "See you next time, Sooyoung."

---

Dahyun was only able to backtrack all of the text messages she received when she already got inside the bus, on her way home.

Most of Daniel's texts were "Where are you?", "Are you home yet?", "I'm sorry I left without telling you", "Why aren't you answering my calls? Are you mad? I'm really sorry", "I'll see you at home. Be safe." Plus 20 missed calls.

That's enough for her to feel guilty and worried that Daniel might have been waiting for her all night.

She bite her lip. "I'm really sorry, Daniel," she muttered, while staring at her phone log.

Then she remembered Minhyun.

She began opening his messages one by one.

From: Optimus Hwang
"Where are you?"

From: Optimus Hwang
"We need to talk."

From: Optimus Hwang
"Why aren't you answering my call? Where are you?"

From: Optimus Hwang
"This is serious. Please call me right away."

From: Optimus Hwang
"I need to tell you something. This is really important. I must talk to you personally not thru text or call."

From: Optimus Hwang
"It's about Daniel."

When Dahyun read the last message, she can't help but feel scared. About Daniel? What is it that's very important thing about Daniel that she must know?

She's dying to call Minhyun back, but she thinks that she needs to check on Daniel first.

He's my boyfriend after all, she tells herself.

When she reaches her stop, she immediately runs her way home. Why am I feeling like this? It's not like she's gonna lose Daniel, is it?

Why would he even leave me? Yeah, he won't do that. She tries to convince herself that everything's okay, that Daniel is safe, that he is there waiting for her.

Daniel will not leave me.

---

Still catching her breath, Dahyun nervously opens the door to her apartment. She didn't even dare to check if Daniel's shoes are outside because she's scared to see that they won't be there.

Tears already formed in her eyes and she tries her best not to make them fall. Calm down, Dahyun. Stop overthinking.

She almost kneel on the floor when she finally sees the guy she's been yearning. She covers to suppress her cries. She silently cries as she stares at Daniel's sleeping figure on the couch. He's here! He's really here! He didn't leave me!

She covers her entire face with her hands, trying to stop herself from crying. She didn't realize that Daniel stirred a bit.

---

Daniel wakes up after hearing some faint sobs and sniffs. He wonders if he is just dreaming, but he can clearly them and they sound so near.

Even if he's still feeling sleepy and tired, he forced himself to wake up.

He almost flips himself when he saw a very familiar figure sitting on the floor right beside him. "Dahyun?" he calls out, instantly sitting up and reaches out for her. "Hey, what's wrong? Are you alright?" he asks, sounding really worried. Is she crying? Why is she crying? What happened?

Daniel begins to panic when he didn't get any response from Dahyun. "Hey, look at me," he tries to pry her hands away that's covering her face. "What's wrong? Tell me." He moves from the couch down to the floor. "Come here," he pulls her for a hug. "Why are you crying, hmm? You're making me worried."

He doesn't know what to do.

Dahyun is not uttering a word. She's just crying and still covering her face. Her whole body is shaking.

"Say something, please," he pleads. He kissed the top of her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter