Chapter 03

My Two Families
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Amber and Henry were sitting next to each other, holding hands while they were facing the family lawyer who was about to announce about their parents will. However, the lawyer also requested for Henry’s birth mother and Amber’s eldest Korean brother, Kim Heechul. Both of them were sitting in front of the two American siblings.

And just straight to the point, the lawyer read out, “Mr. Liu owned 20% share of asset of the company he worked. Mr. Liu had inherited his 20% share to both his children, Henry and Amber. But there’s a condition. Mr. Liu requested for his son Henry to finish his business school before he will be able to take over the asset Mr. Liu inherited. And for his daughter Amber, Mr. Liu just requested for Amber to be of age of 19 before she can claim her portion of the asset. And in the time being, the asset will handled temporarily by the law.”

Both siblings just listen silently to the lawyer who continued, “Mr. Liu inherited this house along with all its household under the name of both his children, Henry and Amber. And also, all the saving money under the name of Mr. Liu will be split fairly for both of his children.”

The lawyer paused before he closed the file he was reading and reaching for another one, “Now, I will read out the will of Mrs. Liu.” The lawyer announced before he started to read out, “Mrs. Liu has inherited her house in Seoul, South Korea to her only daughter, Amber, as well as all her jewels and money savings. However, Mrs. Liu requested for her daughter Amber to turn 21 to be able to claim the inheritance she left for her. And for the moment, it will be kept under the name of her eldest son, Kim Heechul.”  

Everyone in the room was surprised and turned to look at Heechul who seemed surprised himself. However, he just nodded his head and accepted the responsibility if that’s what his mother entrusted him to do.

“And lastly, since both Henry and Amber are still underage, Mr. Liu and Mrs. Liu had given up the custody of Henry towards his birth month, Stephanie Li. And for the daughter Amber, has been given into custody of her eldest brother, Kim Heechul.”

The last statement definitely shocked both siblings. They will be separated.

“Wait... Wait... Wait... Is that mean, Amber and I will be separated?” Henry asked in shock, praying that he has heard wrong. There’s no way he will be separated from his little sister.

The lawyer looked sadly at the siblings, “As what your parents had requested, Henry will be living with his birth mother while Amber will be living with her brothers.”

“No! You can’t do that to us! You can’t separate us!” Henry protested, his holding on his sister became tighter.

“You’re lying. There’s no way Dad and Mom wanted to separate us. I’m going with my brother. I’m not separating from Henry!” Amber protested.

“I’m sorry but this is what your parents had decided for you. There’s nothing I can do but to announce their wishes for their children. I’m sorry.” The lawyer apologized sadly for the siblings.

“She’s coming with me.” Henry said firmly as he turned to look at his birth mother, “Mama, we can take Amber with us, right? Amber is my little sister, I can’t leave her. We can take her with us to Canada, right?” Henry asked his mother hopefully.

Mrs. Li seemed torn on how to reply her son. Of course she doesn’t mind taking the girl with her; she loves Amber like her own daughter too. However, she just can’t decide for her as Amber mother had specifically entrusted her to her other brothers. Mrs. Li just has no right to take Amber with her, unless her brother gave his permission. After all, Amber is now under the guardian of her eldest brother.

“Mama...?” Henry kept pestering his mother to reply him. “Mama, why don’t you say anything? I know Amber is not your daughter but she’s my half sister. She shares the same half blood as mine. Please, Mama?”

Mrs. Li really broke seeing the helpless son of hers. “It’s not like that, Henry. Of course I love Amber like my own child too, but I just can’t take her. Her mother has entrusted her with her brother. I can’t just take her with us to Canada.” Mrs. Li explained to her son.

“You’re saying that you don’t mind taking me with you as long as my brother allowed?” Amber asked Mrs. Li, a ray of hope shone inside herself as she saw the woman nodded her head. Amber then turne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter