Chapter Twenty Five

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Twenty Five

Jongin and Aeiyoung are on the sofa, cuddling as they both are wrapped up with a huge fleece blanket that her mother left during one of the times they came over. Dr Heo left about an hour ago, announcing that she is making great progress but of course, Jongin commits him to regularly check over her health status, just like he does with him. The IV drip is removed from her and the lady honestly feels a lot better than the day before.

They are now watching a movie that they randomly picked from Mina’s collections. The male is focused when she breaks a topic she’s always been curious about. She’s unsure if he’ll like it because she’s going to be that girlfriend, but she really is just curious. It’s been days and she feels like this is the perfect timing for it.

“Jongin…”

Her boyfriend hums absentmindedly. “I’m curious about something.” He turns to her, tearing his attention from the movie to her. She requests pleadingly, “But please, don’t get angry.”

Jongin frowns at that. What could possibly be her curiosity about that he’ll get angry with? “What is it?”

“Seomi…” He stills but she doesn’t stop, not wasting the opportunity. He wants her to continue on, anyway. “If she didn’t do what she did, and there’s no hurting, do you think you would’ve married her? Do you think there would even be us now?” Aeiyoung feels her heart clench and beat heavily at the same time, slightly anxious at what his response would be.

He doesn’t talk for a while, letting the dialogues of the characters in the movie fill in the silence, she feels herself panic. “Do you want me to be honest?” He then asks.

She nods. “Please.”

“I don’t know.” He answers.

“What?”

He hugs her closer to him, “I don’t know.” He repeats. “Because I’ve never got to that point.” She carefully looks at him, waiting for him to say more. “What we had before it all happened was just simple friendship— that’s what I thought— but it was nothing close to what Sehun and I have. She was just the nice, bad-looking girl I met in the club. Then, after what happened between us, I realised that maybe, we were just simple acquaintances. I didn’t care about her like I know how I would as a friend. I actually didn’t mind when I didn’t see for a whole three months. I was close to forgetting about her when she came back and then, she told me how I got her pregnant, I was fumed.” He meets her eyes, “Are you okay?”

She smiles reassuringly, “I’m fine.”

He continues, “To me, at that moment, she wasn’t the woman whom Sehun and I spent eight months with in the club anymore. She was just a random woman whom I unfortunately got pregnant. An obligation I did not want. But I faced the responsibility, though half heartedly. At that time, I was just more concerned about my child in her womb and not at her at all. But somehow, along the way, I got to see a glimpse of what more there is about her. Like I told you, from the point I was starting to understand her, I slowly began warming up, maybe as a friend again but it all shattered before it was even fully built up.” He concludes, “That’s why I don’t know. I don’t know if I’d marry her or even if I’d love her. It just didn’t come to my head at any point.” It’s his turn to ask a question. “Why are you suddenly asking this?”

“I don’t know.” She shrugs, avoiding his gaze “Bad curiosity, maybe?”

But Jongin knows her. It can’t be just curiosity, looking at her, he feels like there is more. So, he pushes, “Aeiyoung…”

She sighs. She can’t lie to him. “Uhm,” She gulps. Slowly, she informs now that she is reminded of it. “Seomi’s sister came to see me in Iveely.”

Jongin shifts and he frowns, looking at her. “What?”

She nods, guilty for not mentioning it to him earlier.

“When was this?” His gaze is dark and his voice is scolding. She knows he’s angry.

“The day your mother came to visit you last time.”

“Why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

She lowers her head down. “I’m sorry. I just didn’t have the chance. You came that night, really tired and then the next days were so busy for both of us. The next time we saw each other was when we visited your daughter and I forgot all about it.”

The male breathes sharply, clenching his eyes, holding his exasperation in. Aeiyoung can feel he just wants to burst. When he opens his eyes, she feels intimidated, she wants to hide. “Did she come and see you again after that?”

She bobs her head again, igniting more vexation in him. “Aeiyoung.” He calls reproachfully.

“I’m sorry.” She says again sincerely. “The last time was right two days after the dinner with your sister.” She panics as she apologises again. Her lungs feel suffocated but she’s not minding it at the moment. “I’m sorry, Jongin. I’m really sorry.”

Her boyfriend’s jaw is clenched tightly. His eyes are displeased and inflamed. Aeiyoung feels like crying, feeling ashamed, as he darts his gaze at her. The movie they’re watching is forgotten. “What did she say when she came to see you?” He asks, voice sounding cold and determined. Not even hearing his answer yet, he mutters, “And you kept it from me that long…”

“Jongin, no…” She says so softly. She lowers her head to answer his question. “She came. It was about Seomi and their anger at you.” She answers almost as good as a whisper.

“So, basically, she’s harassing you.” He concludes, adamant.

The lady opens to say something but doesn’t pursue, considering his behaviour and state.

Yes, that might be the case but she’s okay. She can handle her, that’s probably the reason why she wasn’t so keen to tell him about her. Another fact can be that, she doesn’t want him to worry about it, she didn’t want to see this reaction out of him. Aeiyoung knows that the intentions of Seomi’s sister are going nowhere. She doesn’t want Jongin to unnecessarily worry as the lady’s words will always be disregarded. There’s is no way she’s going to listen to her words, anyway.

The next minute, Jongin stands up on his feet, putting the pillow aside, leaving his girl alone as he goes to fetch his phone. With that, she feels cold and alone, both emotionally and physically.

She takes a deep breath, in and out, in a consistent and repetitive manner. She wants her system to remain calm and not panic. It’s not good for her as she hasn’t fully recovered and she doesn’t want the illness to come back again.

She turns her head towards her bedroom where Jongin went, relieved that the door is closed. She continues her self-treatment, and when she’s calmed down, she hugs her knees, wrapping herself with the blanket they have been using.

Aeiyoung has no idea what Jongin is doing inside her room but knowing how he got a hold of his phone, he must be talking to someone, or he must be having his time alone because he doesn’t want to see her. She wants to go to him and hug him but maybe, it’s best to leave him alone. Maybe later, when he has calmed down and she’s somewhat… better.

She finds herself tearing up, sobbing quietly. Jongin is mad and it wrenches her heart.

Until her eyes are too tired, the lady falls asleep again, resting her head on the square pillow, curled up on the sofa. She tries her best to wait for him to come out, so she can say sorry again, so his anger will go away but her lids fail her. As it closes, revealing darkness, her hearing senses of the surrounding shuts down, leaving her to only here her quiet sobs.

 

It’s nearing dark when she wakes up again, but it surprises her to see that her boyfriend is there, right before her eyes, looking at her tenderly. The vexation in his eyes are gone, now more filled with worry and affection. He’s not smiling but his warm voice untwists her heart as he speaks, taking note, “You cried again.”

Her eyes are audibly repentant but before she can say anything, he says too sweetly for her ears, making her untwisted heart swell in love, “You know, I don’t like you crying.” In fact, he hates it whenever she’s crying. But he also isn’t oblivious to the fact that he is the reason why she did. “Did I scare you?”

Aeiyoung neither nods and shakes her head but for a response, she whispers, “You looked so angry and cold.”

Jongin presses his lips, the upper of it. He breathes out, leaning in to kiss her forehead. He says softly, “I’m sorry.” The lady shifts her head and smiles though tightly. He knows he needs to make it up to her. “It’s almost dinner time. What do you feel like eating?”

With that, she gets up slowly with his assistance. He takes the seat next to her, finding her hand in his. He has his eyes at her, not tearing it away. She asks, “Are you okay now? Are you not angry anymore?”

To her relief, he shakes his head though with a small smile. His thumb is caressing the top of her hand he’s holding. “Next time, if things like this happen, you have to tell me, no matter what, okay?”

She nods obediently.

Still, frustrated, he utters, “She shouldn’t have come to you. She shouldn’t have harassed you.”

Jongin is angry but he knows why Seomi’s sister is doing this. He just couldn’t believe she’ll go to that extent and actually bother his girlfriend who absolutely has nothing to do with their contention. The least he wants is to taint Aeiyoung with his past. He doesn’t want her involved. He wants to keep her away from it.

“But, Jongin, I’m okay.” She rationalises. “I won’t let them do that to you or say those foul things about you.” With determination in her tone, she says, “I won’t let you fight them alone. You have me now, don’t you?”

“I know.” He nods, pulling her closer so he can plant his lips on her temple. “And I’m so thankful I have you.” He whispers and she can feel his lips move against her skin. He pulls away, looking straight at her eyes as he says, “But, I am not going to allow her to come near you again.” Adamant, he repeats, “Not again, Aeiyoung.”

“Okay.” She gives in.

When Seomi’s sister came again to her office for the second time, Aeiyoung was in disbelief. To her, she is desperate but so for the wrong reason. She is desperate for the wrong justice. Seomi died in an accident. No one wanted it, not Sehun, not Jongin, not her family and she is positive Seomi didn’t want it for herself either.

So when the woman came, Jongin’s girlfriend made it sure to her that she’s not going anywhere with her anger. It won’t bring her sister back and neither it will bring back her unborn niece. Their family isn’t the only one who lost someone. Jongin lost his daughter, someone who could’ve been his princess, someone who would bring the best father in him. He lost the possible future he could’ve with his young one and Aeiyoung felt it was unfair.

It was unfair for him because he was only blaming himself and they kept pushing him down even more. They completely disregarded the possibility that they could’ve had a part of the fault as well. Because as better Aeiyoung thought about it, she came to a conclusion that Seomi’s family disowned her, the moment pregnancy happened. Why else would Seomi rely on Jongin? By the looks of it, she belonged in a wealthy family but why would a daughter with name and inheritance depend on him? Him, who wasn’t even committed to her. It wouldn’t have happened if Seomi had the support of her family. Even if she refused it and she genuinely wanted to be with Jongin, a family who has her support won’t give up on her. They would still support their daughter by any means— something that Seomi didn’t get.

Perhaps, that is the reason why her family is so angry and there’s nothing else to resort to but to put the blame on Jongin. Because they couldn’t accept it to themselves that they were at fault too. Truth to be told, she felt sorry for Seomi. How hard must it have been for her? They were all suffering in their own ways.

She doesn’t have the right to judge Seomi’s sister but neither is she giving her the right to that to Jongin. Not on her watch. If they had to blame someone, it shouldn’t be just Jongin and they have to face the fact that they had the responsibility as well.

That’s what she asserted and imposed to the sister. Aeiyoung is unsure if it will wake her and their family’s senses up but she just needed to open that reality to her.

“And Aeiyoung,” Jongin calls again, breaking her away from her thoughts.

She looks at him when she hums as a response, letting him know that she'd listening.

Jongin takes his time. It’s just them now. There’s no one else, no other noise but the silent sound of their breathing. Their eyes are connected and after what happened earlier, Jongin intends to assure her, “I want to know that you are my forever now. And I have no plans of letting you go.”

“Huh?” She asks.

Jongin slides his arm around her stomach, pulling her to sit on his lap. He is holding her tight when he says, “I never thought of marriage with Seomi, despite her carrying my child. I never thought of my future with her. Probably because I never had a future with her to start with. But with you,” He pauses, “It’s different.”

“What do you mean?”

He tucks her hair behind her ear, leaning in to kiss the tip of her nose softly. He looks at her orbs endearingly when he says, “It’s different. I am looking at my future with you in it and it makes me excited, to go and walk through that path to the future with you. I just want to live life and love you forever, and be with you for the rest of our lives.”

“Jongin…”

The sincerity in his voice can be felt as he says, “If I have to go through all that again, just to end up having you in my life, I will.” He confesses. “I’m willing to go through worst pains if it meant I have you in the end.”

Aeiyoung doesn’t hesitate in holding him to her embrace. She hugs him around his neck and presses her lips on it.

“Thank you for telling me this, Jongin. Thank you.” She’s looking at his eyes when she confesses for the nth time, “I love you.”

“Me too.” He replies, simple and straightaway but heartfelt. “And I’m saying this to let you know that you’re my lifeline now. A future without you is a future I would never want to live with.”

Aeiyoung can drown, but not in darkness and loneliness. Instead, in love this time. She doesn’t mind it. Jongin deserves the best kind of love this world could ever give and if she is the instrument for that, she is more than willing to comply.

“I love you, Ji Aeiyoung. I love you so much, you have to know.”

She traces his thick, naturally well-shaped eyebrows with the pad of her thumb as she responds with all of her heart, “I know. You don’t fail to make me feel that even if we’re having our petty and big fights, even if we are busy in our own careers.” She continues, “And I thank all gods, the universe, and this thing they call fate, for letting me meet you and have you in my life.”

Jongin, up until this day, still can’t believe he actually has someone like Aeiyoung. He’d give everything for her.

Silence engulf them for a while, letting love wave through from and to each other’s eyes.

Then he tells her, “Don’t think about Seomi, her sister or any of her family anymore. I don’t want you tainted with how I messed up in the past. None of them will get between us, okay? It’s you and I now. No one else. Just us.”

“I’m sorry.” She apologises, probably the fourth, fifth time now. But it doesn’t matter, she’ll do it as long as it’s needed.

He shakes his head, kissing her shoulder. “Don’t be. Just know that whatever I had with Seomi then is nothing close to what I have with you now. It can’t be compared, understand?”

She hums, “I do.”

“Her sister will stop too. Forget about her.”

Humming again, she complies, “Okay.”

“Then we’re set.” He says, hugging her tight once again. “How are you feeling?”

Aeiyoung’s head snuggles under his throat and she can feel the vibration of it as he talks. It makes her heart beat faster. “I’m feeling okay. Better.” Both emotionally and physically.

“That’s good.” He says, “Dr Heo recommended to finish the set of meds he prescribed. He assured it’ll help your immune system.” He informs. He feels her nod. “Also, I think Mina is coming back soon. What would she like for dinner?”

She looks up at him. “Can we invite her boyfriend too? So all four of us can share dinner.”

He looks at her carefully, leaning back. “Are you well enough for that?” He is aware how Aeiyoung is an introvert person and he doesn’t want to risk anything considering she just came from being sick. He’s worried she might feel too exhausted that her sickness might come back again.

But then all of that is gone as she enthusiastically answers, “Yes.” Jongin can barely bite back his grin at her eagerness. “I’m well enough!”

He chuckles, his hardened expression earlier completely gone. “Okay.” He agrees. “Call your best-friend to invite her boyfriend over. Dinner’s on me.”

Aeiyoung can’t hide her excited grin. She picks her phone up and quickly dials Mina’s contact.


 

The following days, Jongin has been extra protective and caring of Aeiyoung. Instead of leaving Gyo to fetch her alone, he is coming with him so he can see himself that she is okay. He tries his best to clear and not get any breakfast meeting so he can take her to Iveely.

On Thursday, like what he committed Dr Heo, Jongin has cleared a day of Aeiyoung to take her to the hospital— the biggest and top hospital in country. He takes her there so she can have her overall health checkup and what he can do to strengthen her immune system so she doesn’t fall sick and bad like that again. Up until the day, the memory is still a complete horror to him.

“Mina has told you about my condition, hasn’t she?” Aeiyoung assumes because he is taking that extra measure when she’s completely recovered. Not that she minds but Jongin’s behaviour is not a normal reaction and she is more than sure that this is more than his natural protective side.

“It’s because she knows you’d tell me what happened to you is just another sickness.” He answers as they step in inside the lift towards the floor where Dr Heo’s clinic is.

The lady has her arms crossed with a small pout. She’s not angry or anything, she’s just— she thinks it would’ve been better if she said it herself to him. But, at the same time, what he said is true as well.

So, she just mumbles, “But, I’m not dying…”

“No, you’re not.” He agrees. “Good god.” Because he can’t imagine that and it’s not like he will let that happen, anyway. He takes her arms that are crossed over her chest and places it around his waist, pulling her close so his body is pressed over hers. “But, as much as I like taking care of you, I don’t want to go through that horror again. So cold, lifeless and pale in bed, did you know how shocking and scary that picture was to me?”

He tucks her hair behind her ear as he whispers, “I want to take care of you but I also want you healthy.”

Aeiyoung smiles, so sweetly, Jongin wants to kiss her but he chooses to restrain himself for now. “Then promise me, you’ll be healthy too. Don’t overwork yourself so much. Don’t tire and stress yourself so much too.”

He shakes his head, reassuring her. “I have you now.” He says. “There’s no reason for me to abuse and kill myself in working. Because, now, I am okay and I want to live. Now that you are here with me.”

The lady titters, and goes on her tippy toes to give her boyfriend a chaste, single lip kiss on the lips. When she pulls away, she leans in to hug him like he is her teddy bear— her big, handsome, y and beautiful teddy bear.

The lift dings and it opens, revealing an older couple who are surprised at their sweet and pure position but then, smiles fondly at them later on. Aeiyoung feels shy at that, so she hides herself in his biceps.

The couple enters and glances at them, wearing the same smile.

“You both match together so well.” The grandmother comments genuinely. She can’t stop smiling at she looks at the younger couple.

Jongin nods politely, “Thank you.”

“That’s a man.” The grandfather states. “You’re not afraid to show everyone that you have a girlfriend and you love her so much. The young people we see nowadays are just flirting and it’s been awhile since we’ve seen a couple like you two.”

Both Jongin and Aeiyoung are unknowingly having the same thoughts inside their head. Is their love for each other so apparent that anyone can see it? Is the love they have for each other is stronger than they both think if everyone who sees them can feel it?

“How timely!” The lady granny cheers. The younger couple tilt their heads in curiosity. “Oh, today is our fifty second wedding anniversary and it’s nice to see a couple who reminds us so much of your younger days.”

Aeiyoung lifts her head up properly, “Happy Anniversary.”

Jongin follows, “Happy Anniversary.”

“Thank you.”

The lift dings again, a cue that they both have arrived at the floor of Dr Heo’s clinic. The lady pulls out from his embrace and he grasps her hand securely, not letting go of it. Both of them say polite goodbyes to the elder couple, as they step out the confined space. Aeiyoung waves her hand, waiting for it to close before they proceed to their appointment.

When it’s shut, she turns to him and utters, “Will we be like that too in the future?”

“Of course.” Jongin answers with no hesitation.

“You and I together?”

Jongin scowls at that. “Of course, I don’t see spending my old days with anyone else but you.”

She giggles. “Me too. But what if something happens in the future?” She asks, just a mere thought.

“Like what?”

“Like,” She bobs her shoulder. “I don’t know. Like what if you get tired of me and dump me?” For her though, she knows that she won’t ever get tired and enough of Jongin to the point she wouldn’t want to be with him anymore. But this one is just a scenario inside her head, and to her, possibilities are always considered.

He hums, his thoughts taking him deeply, not because he’s thinking of the possibility of what she just said but because he just wants to delete those thoughts away from her. He doesn’t like there are these kind of thoughts lingering inside her.

“Yeah, there will be times when we’ll get tired of each other.” He admits, being realistic to what the future of them, like any other couple holds. “But it won’t come to a point that I will think of dumping or giving you up. Because that won’t ever, ever be an option. Like I told you, I can’t let you go, Aeiyoung.

“And, I know I’d still wish to be with you everyday even if we are spending all the days of the rest of our lives together. I love you that much and,” He pauses, holding his gaze tightly, “Be ready because I don’t think I’ll ever get enough dose of you.”

Aeiyoung can feel her heart is ready to burst at any second so before it does, she pulls his hand towards the doctor’s clinic, completely setting aside the thought she had earlier. “Come, Dr Heo is waiting for us and you personally cleared my day off for this.” She squints her eyes at him playfully, “Very naughty of you.”

Jongin cracks into a chuckle. His girl is becoming more and more playful and he likes it. She's slowly breaking out of her shell and he finds it too cute. (And no, he doesn’t regret clearing her schedule for this day.)

A nurse greets them, confirming the appointment Jongin made with his trusted practitioner.

“Has Dr Heo always been your doctor?” Aeiyoung asks curiously when the nurse leaves, going through the door to let him that they have arrived.

“Well, about that,” The male starts, “his father was Dad’s doctor and he followed his father’s footsteps so it continued on. But besides that, he knows what he’s doing.”

Few seconds later, the nurse comes back with a polite smile. “Mr Kim and Ms Ji, you may come in.”

Aeiyoung takes a deep breath. There’s a reason why she’s not so fond of hospitals and why she’s tired of it but with Jongin, it makes it more bearable.

They enter the room with the nurse following behind. Dr Heo is on the phone, who raises his brow as his gesture, acknowledging their presence. He quickly ends the phone call and stands on his feet, adjusting his coat. He holds his hand out, greeting the CEO and then the lady.

They all take a seat and the doctor gives her a folder. He looks at both of them as he says, “Everything is organised like Mr Kim requested. I got Dr Kang to do all the physical examination. She’s good and respected in the field.” His eyes are on Jongin when he asks, “You’ve heard or familiar about her?”

“If it’s Dr Kang Areum, then yes. Sera’s mentioned her.” He answers.

“Yes, that’s her.” He confirms and continues, “She's not here at the moment because she was paged but, she should be ready to go shortly.” He pauses, “She will be working closely with me. She’ll do all the physical examinations and we will both look over at the results to see what’s best for Ms Ji over here.”

He shifts his gaze to Aeiyoung, “Nurse Han,” She turns to the nurse standing who is smiling warmly and then back at the doctor, “will be assisting you through all the procedures. You’ll meet the doctor at the commencement of the examination.” He adds, “Also, you have the option if you want someone to come and accompany you. Do you want to?”

She looks at her boyfriend before shaking her head, “No. He’ll stay.” Jongin’s face falls, making her laugh softly. She stands on her feet and pats his shoulder saying, “I’m not a child, Jongin. Besides, Dr Kang is a female doctor. I’ll be okay. So you stay here and be patient, okay?”

“Fine.” He gives in, not arguing.

Her lips curve affectionately before leaning down to kiss the top of her boyfriend’s head. “See you later.”

Aeiyoung greets the nurse, who leads their way. Down the hallway, she is informed that she has to change in hospital gown, for a full on check up. Going inside the lockers, she quickly changes. She slightly feels uncomfortable, considering the fact that it’s been awhile since she'd last been in the hospital.

Nurse Han takes her to where Doctor Kang is, who is already waiting, ready to proceed. She's wearing a smile that is so warm and welcoming. She introduces herself, “I’m Dr Kang, I’m positive Dr Heo has mentioned about me?”

She bobs her head. “He has.”

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there to introduce myself.”

“Oh no, it’s fine.” She says. “That’s no worries at all.”

“Perfect, then.” She puts her hands together. “Ready to start? We’ll start with your vitals first, and end with that after the entire examination finishes. Is this your first time?” She asks.

She nods, rather abashed.

“That’s okay.” She assures. “I do need one thing from you though. I want to make sure you are comfortable all throughout the process so you have to let me know any discomfort.”

“Okay.” Aeiyoung breathes, cleansing her lungs from nervousness. Dr Kang is soft-spoken, the same time very amiable. It makes her feel at ease. She is then invited to take a seat on the medical bed, and with Nurse Han assistant the doctor, she takes note of her vitals like she said.

When done, Dr Kang draws the curtain around and instructs her to take off her gown and lay in bed. She takes a deep breath as she does with the doctor keeping her assuring smile. “Are we comfortable, Ms Ji?”

“Yes.” She whispers. “Just nervous.”

“It’s okay, relax.” She comforts. She takes a look again at the clipboard to check over her medical, clinical history which gives time for the lady to relax. She presses her lips together as she does so, she turns to Aeiyoung. “Are you still seeing your psychologist?”

She shakes her head. “Not for regular sessions. But I do visit, though rarely.”

“When was the last time you visited her?”

“Almost a year ago.”

“Oh, I’m assuming you’re not taking any meds?”

“I do.” She answers. “But only sleeping pills and I don’t take it very often. It’s been a long time as well since I had my last intake.”

“When was this?”

“Eight months ago.” She adds, “Other meds stopped about four years ago.”

“I see.” She puts the clipboard down. “We’ll do ECG first.” She informs.

“Oh, okay.”

Dr Kang chuckles. The female technician comes in with the machine, explaining the procedure and confirms her details, making inquiries about any pain she's feeling at the moment. Then, the bed functions as a button is pressed, making her upper body in a reclining position. The technician attaches six of the electrodes on her chest, where appropriate, and four on her limbs, one on each wrists and ankles. After assuring the she is warm, relaxed and comfortable, the whole procedure commences and takes no more than ten minutes. When it’s done, the female technician leaves politely.

The doctor turns to her patient and says, “We’ll need you laying flat again on the bed.” Aeiyoung nods, and lays comfortably on the medical bed as Dr Kang presses a button to make the bed flat. “I’ll be inspecting and palpating now. Are you okay?”

She presses her lips together with a subtle nod. “I’m fine.”

Dr Kang proceeds on, doing all that is necessary and thoroughly so that she doesn’t miss anything. Aeiyoung isn’t as uncomfortable and nervous as before, when it started, because the doctor’s hand and touch is light and gentle. When done, she gestures in a friendly manner that she can get up and put the gown back on.

“How are you feeling? Were you uncomfortable at any point?” She asks.

“No, not at all.” She answers honestly. “Thank you.”

“That’s good.” Dr Kang picks the clipboard again.

“Is anything wrong?” Aeiyoung asks anxiously.

“Nothing is certain yet. So, there’s no need to worry at the moment.” She eases. “We’ll go and have your x-ray done. We’ll do some blood test and ultrasound as well.” She continues, “And then, I’ll take you the gynaecologist after that.”

Aeiyoung sighs. She knows that this is, indeed, going to be a long day.


 

After all of it is finished, Aeiyoung meets her boyfriend back inside Dr Heo’s clinic. She is changed back to her normal attire.

Upon seeing his girl, Jongin leaps up and hugs her tightly. It’s only when the lady tugs his dress shirt from behind, reminding him that they are not the only ones in the room, he leans back. He scans her from head to toe and then at her eyes. “Tired?”

She hums. “Never again, Jongin.”

He chuckles, “Well, if there will be a next time, I don’t think it will be as extensive as this one.”

Aeiyoung rolls her eyes, receiving a quick embrace again from him.

The second later, Dr Kang knocks and comes in, greeting the male doctor, her patient and Jongin. “I’m Dr Kang.”

The male shakes her hand. “Kim Jongin.”

“Yes, Dr Kim— Sera’s younger brother, right?” He nods. “It’s nice to finally meet you.” She says.

“The same with me. Sera has mentioned you a couple of times to the family.”

She chuckles, “Hoping they’re good things?”

“They are.” He assures.

After that, she proceeds to go on with her original intention of coming in. She gives the folder to her fellow doctor and the couple takes their seat as they are prompted.

“All of the results of the examination done today will be ready in a few days, including the one with the gynaecologist.” Dr Kang informs. “It’s either me or Dr Heo will be in contact with the either of you, having Ms Ji as the patient, our priority.”

Looking at Aeiyoung, she asks, “How are you feeling? Exhausted?”

“A little.” She answers quietly.

“That’s normal, it’s been pretty a long day.” She says. “I’m sure Mr Kim here will take care of you.”

The lady doesn’t doubt that. After the short talk, they leave the clinic. They are walking down the hallway when Jongin notices that his girl is in deep thoughts. He squeezes her hand to gain her attention. He asks what is wrong.

“Just having thoughts…” She says quietly.

Jongin stops in their tracks, catching the full attention of his lady who is wondering why they stopped. “We’re not going anywhere if you don’t tell me what thoughts are running inside your head.”

She her lips nervously, “I’m anxious.” She breathes.

He is confused, so his eyebrows are softly knit together in concern when he asks, “Why?”

She shrugs her shoulders, “I don’t know.”

Jongin carefully looks at her, trying to figure what she's so anxious about and when it’s fruitless, he pulls her inside his arms, over his chest. He softly her hair, not minding the few people looking at them as they walk by in the hallway. “You know, you can tell me everything, right?”

She nods. “I know.” She says softly.

But even with that, Aeiyoung doesn’t say anything, which is making him feel more worried. With his hand firm on the back of her neck, he leans back so he can see her countenance, “What do you want to do then? The rest of our day is yours to decide.”

Aeiyoung hums, hugging her boyfriend back tightly, as she holds her hands together around his middle. Her cheek is over his chest again, causing the male to her head again in very gentle manner. Her eyes are closed when she says, “I want to relax. I want to go somewhere relaxing.”

They stay in that position for a while as the male quickly thinks of a place where his girl can relax. He feels like the examination did exhaust Aeiyoung, so if there’s anything she will want, it’s to rest, relax and have that calm peace of mind. And when he’s come to a decision, he pulls his phone out of his pocket and quickly dials Gyo.

“Yes,” He greets, making the female look up at what he’s doing. He’s on his phone and his face is straight but soft though unreadable. She wonders who he’s talking to. Will he leave her again like the last time?

Then she hears him say, “Get the helicopter ready and give Captain Jang a call.” There’s a pause. “Within an hour or less.” A soft crease forms in Aeiyoung’s glabella. He ends the call after uttering, “Thanks.”

Putting the device back to his pocket, he notices that she is looking at him.

“What was that?” She asks.

Jongin smiles gently, as he tells her, “We’re going to look back at my childhood.”

“Hm?”

“We’re going to the place where I grew up. Some of the memories aren’t that great, but there are some unforgettable ones with Sera. And the view is nice and it’s calming too. I think you’ll like it.”

“So, you’re not going to leave me?”

His eyebrow twitches, almost offended. “Why would you think that?”

She shakes her head, pressing her cheeks over his broad and firm chest once again. She takes a deep breath, and that is the most response she can give. She doesn’t want to say it as she knows it will only make him feel sorry and she doesn’t want that.

But Jongin isn’t stupid or insensitive. He snuggles her head deeper into him when he says, “Is this about what happened last time? When I left you?”

Aeiyoung doesn’t respond. She doesn’t want to say it but she isn’t the kind to lie either. But with that, the male knows it is— brings him back to think how upset Aeiyoung must’ve been and for him, it because he doesn’t what exactly he can do to make up for it. He wants her to forget about it but all the best he can do, at the moment, is to do what his loving heart will want to do for the love of his life.

“I’m sorry.”

The lady still doesn’t say anything and only hums as a response. She only wants to snuggle in his embrace, she feels home whenever she does and to her, it is her most comfortable place on earth.

Kissing the top of her head, he promises, “That won’t happen again.”

Her eyes close upon hearing that, tightening her hug around him. Jongin continues to her hair until he hears his phone ring. He puts his one arm around her shoulder while the other gets the device out. He answers the call.

“Thank you.” He says.

“The helicopter is ready. Gyo is waiting for us.”

As much as she's reluctant to let go of the embrace, she takes a step back but not too far back as Jongin makes sure she's still close to him.

“What’s going to happen?”

“Gyo will drive us to J.KEH, since it’s near, and the helicopter is there, waiting, ready for us.”

“And Captain Jang is going to fly it?”

“Yes.” He answers.

She breathes, getting herself mentally prepared in riding a helicopter. Then out of pure curiosity, she asks, “Do you know how to fly a helicopter too?”

And to her surprise, he says, “Yes.” Then, softly he follows, “I would fly it to show you but I’d prefer holding you more now.” With that said, a bit of her tiredness slides away. “Do you like that?”

“More than anything…” She whispers.

Jongin smiles and leads her to the lift to meet Gyo by the front of the hospital. They find the older male standing the large black SUV, who promptly opens the door. Aeiyoung climbs in and the door closes while Jongin will get to the other side.

Gyo smoothly drives off to J.KEH, arriving at the building fifteen minutes later. Between the ride, Jongin receives a call, though the lady can’t exactly figure what it is on about, but she can tell enough that he’s making arrangements. As they arrive and enter the premises, all the employees around greet and bows their CEO while the lady remains to blend in so she isn’t as noticed. Jongin nods at them, acknowledging their civilised greetings. He doesn’t waste any time though as they access the lift again to the rooftop, where the aircraft is waiting at the helipad area.

Getting there, they are greeted by a pilot, who, to Aeiyoung, seems to be in his mid-thirties. She assumes it must be Captain Jang, who her boyfriend requested.

“Mr Kim.” He greets, holding his hand out.

Jongin’s hand leaves her waist to take the gesture as he returns, “Captain Jang.” When they release the handshake, he puts his hand back to Aeiyoung’s elbow, making her step closer to him. “Meet my girlfriend, Ji Aeiyoung.”

The pilot bows, “Ms Ji.”

“Nice to meet you, Captain Jang.”

Captain Jang nods. He’s wearing a rather endearing smile as his eyes travel to his boss, perhaps the reason for it is the pleasant surprise to see his boss with a woman, whom is his girlfriend. It’s the first and hopefully, the last?

“How is he?” Jongin asks and his girlfriend is reminded of the time when he also asked about the condition of extravagant yacht, The Aurora. She concludes it’s a little habit of his.

“He’s doing well, Sir. Very well, he’s ready to go and fly smoothly.”

Aeiyoung manages to laugh quietly as how seemingly carefree this pilot working under Jongin is. Then she hears her boyfriend reply, “Well, I’ll leave the flying to you. Thank you for coming in at my abrupt order.”

“No worries at all, Sir.” He says and leads the couple politely towards the direction, “This way.”

Jongin gives his girlfriend a final look before they get on the aircraft. “You ready?”

She hums, nodding at the same time. She's nervous but she is ready. With Jongin with her, Aeiyoung doesn’t find a reason to be scared. She knows he will not let anything to her, the same way she won’t let anything happen to him. After all, since they met, it’s all Jongin provided… home, comfort and security.

 

The whole helicopter flight takes about fifteen minutes. They land in legal platform where aircrafts as such usually land. Jongin gives his pilot a thanks and contracts him that he should be back by seven to eight in the evening. Meters away is a car waiting, whom Aeiyoung assumes to be waiting for them. As Captain Jang leaves, she turns to ask her man, “Is that for us?”

“Yes.”

“How do you do all of this?”

“I’m Kim Jongin.” He says as simple as that. “And I’m a capable man.” Aeiyoung purses her lips, making him smile as he leans in to whisper, “Especially for you.”

The lady hits his chest playfully, “Stop it.”

His hand slips on hers, “Let’s go.”

“Wait, are you sure this is okay?” She asks, tugging his hand back. When she sees his confused countenance, she explains, “I mean, you already missed a day when I was sick and then now, you’re going to miss a day again at J.KEH.”

“And I’m going to miss another day if I have to, for you.” Jongin answers without any hesitation. His eyes are looking at hers sincerely as he says, “When you asked to be dropped off like that at the cafe last time, I didn’t like what I felt. And I don’t want to feel anything like that again.” He grips the hold on her hand tighter as he pulls her. “You are more important than J.KEH, Aeiyoung. I want you to understand that. I’m really sorry if you felt otherwise at that time.”

She nods and smiles, “It’s okay. I told you, I understand.”

Pressing his lips on her temple, he mumbles as he her hair, “What do I do? You're too selfless, my baby girl.”

Aeiyoung doesn’t say anything to that but only curves her lips to a smile as a response. After that, they face the direction where the man is waiting with the parked car. Jongin takes the keys as the other male bows and walks off. After leading her to the front passenger seat to get in, he walks around and starts the journey to his childhood memory lane.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

I'm sorry if the update took longer than usual and I planned. Past few weeks have been really busy and I feel dead and tired. But yeah, I'm still writing whenever I have my frees and I have that motivation. Going to reread this and edit any typos when I get the time. Sorry for all the typos you encountered.

Also, be prepared for the next chapter. Not going to say anything, I just advice to be prepared, that's all.

I'm also looking to finish the fic at around 30 chapters I guess? I don't know but yeah, aiming to finish this soon. Let's see how we go.

For now, see you 'till the next chapter.

And.... by the way, can I just mention how I'm incredibly thankful of people hitting that subscribe button and giving the fic a shot. It warms my heart. Not only that, I think I've mentioned this previously as well, for the people leaving comments on my updates, you guys are amazing! Words can't express how incredibly grateful I am. Thank you for giving that time and effort.