Chapter Twenty Four

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Twenty Four

Aeiyoung phone shuts off, meters away from the location Yoo sent her. She frowns at the sight, confusing her even more, now that she has actually arrived. Hospital? Why would they talk in the hospital? What would someone like Lee Yoo would be doing in a hospital?

She enters the premises, uncomfortable as she steps foot on the grounds. She’s never been fond of hospitals, she hates and dislikes these kind of places. She’s about to walk back and exit when she hears her name getting called aloud.

Turning, she sees her ex-boyfriend, the very man who made her come here, in a hospital gown on a wheelchair, looking like nothing she last seen him. He looks pale, skinny, weak. It’s as though she’s looking at a completely different person.

The nurse continues to push his wheelchair slowly, and when he reaches her, he smiles too sadly. Her heart starts to feel heavy at the view. This is nothing she imagined of Lee Yoo and truth to be told, she’s speechless. She doesn’t know what to say, too shocked to think about what she’s feeling. What is she supposed to feel, anyway?

Her stunned eyes travel to the nurse who hands him a mask to wear with Yoo rolling his eyes in irritation, like the brat he was back in high school. So far, this is the only confirmation that the man in front of her is the same man who mocked her ten years ago.

But obviously, there is a reason why he called her. Aeiyoung and Yoo share glances, wordlessly communicating that they have to talk in private. The male gives his nurse a look and that’s when he strides off, leaving the two alone.

Aeiyoung walks behind his wheelchair, and pushes him into the area that is not so crowded, where she can sit and they can talk without being in people’s way. When he’s secured, she takes a seat, facing him.

She breathes out heavily and with concerned eyes, she asks, “What happened to you?”

Yoo expected that question from her. It’s been what everyone is doing every time they come and see his condition for the first time. “Lung cancer. Stage four.”

She frowns, forming a soft V in her glabella. “When were you diagnosed?”

His head tilts at the recall, “Four, five months ago.”

“And you didn’t know about it?”

He shrugs with rue, “I didn’t care.” He adds, “Until it’s gone worse, I have to be confined here for as long as the doctor requires me to.”

Pinning his gaze at hers, he changes the topic. She’s here because he wants to talk to her, not because he wants her pity. “How have you been?”

Aeiyoung acts in accordance when she answers truthfully, “I’ve been okay.” Not having the chance to say anything about his condition, she knows that Yoo doesn’t want to focus about it. He’s never really the type to face his problems, well, ten years ago. She just unsure if he’s still the same or maybe there’s a still a part of it left.

“I’ve been okay, actually.” And Yoo can just see it. She isn’t the miserable girl he played with ten years ago, neither is she the vulnerable girl in their last high school reunion. Aeiyoung is okay, she looks well, vibrant and stronger. Something she was not for the entire time he’s known her.

“I can see that.” He whispers.

She nods, with a tight smile.

Silence follows, engulfing between them. One has a lot to say, not knowing how to start, while the other is willing to listen for whatever it is he has to say.

“Aeiyoung…” He finally breaks, removing the mask over his mouth to under his chin. With the lady humming as a response, he says, “I know this is the least thing of what you expected from me, but I’d like to say sorry.” She’s looking at him, her gaze unwavering. “For the jerk I was and for what I did to you.” He lowers his head down. “I know you’re thinking I’m doing this because of my condition” He pauses, “and it’s partially that but I’m not using it so you’ll forgive me. I realised a lot of things and it’s just too bad that I had to have this so I can finally have the guts to apologise.”

“Why are you saying sorry now?” She asks, wearing the most unreadable gaze to him. “What difference would it make if you say sorry now?”

“Nothing.” Yoo answers truthfully. He’s not a good man but he isn’t stupid. “I know you’re happy and contented now.”

She is.

“And this… isn’t really needed from me. But sometimes, there are just things that needs to be done. Maybe to save myself from everything I’ve done in the past with the remaining time I have left.” Softly, he adds, “I don’t expect to be forgiven. I know it’s not easy for you but at least, I know I tried. I know it isn’t enough and it won’t be enough but I just want to say that I’m really, really sorry. ”

Aeiyoung stares at him with a rather distant eyes. He sees that. He expected that much.

Yoo knows getting her forgiveness won’t be easy. Looking back, if there is anything he regretted the most in the things he has done in the past, that would be what he did to Aeiyoung. But back then, he was a teenager, wherein the way how his friends looked at him mattered more than anything else— a matter of pride and stupid ego. He knew he’s doing her wrong but he didn’t stop simply because Lee Yoo doesn’t go back on his bet. He didn’t want to be seen as lovestruck boy. He wanted to show everyone that he is that strong, charming teenager that no woman could say no to. Being a heartless casanova bumped his pride up and he wasn’t willing to let go of it. He was a selfish guy, and he is sure he will remain to be selfish for the rest of his life.

In fact, Yoo is completely aware of what Aeiyoung did back then, after everything was revealed right before her. He knew the fact that she tried to kill herself. How can he not come aware of it when Mina stormed at him with full of anger and resentment? But he was a man full of pride, and as much as it shocked him, he wasn’t willing to stoop down and apologise. Lee Yoo then doesn’t apologise. Then.

Seeing her ten years later, he did what he did, as awful and horrendous as it sounded, he went ahead to humiliate Aeiyoung once more because he wanted to see her stand up for her own— where no one would save her at her vulnerable state. He did it on purpose because he wanted to see how strong the lady has become over the years. He wanted to see her fight back and so when she did, Lee Yoo was glad. That's why he didn't run and come after her. And this is a fact Aeiyoung doesn’t need to know. Not her, not anyone.

Yoo wants to believe that there is a reason why the world didn’t take his life abruptly. As a matter of fact, he is sure that this disease he has is just a small portion of the big punishment that is awaiting for him. Perhaps, the reason why he is still alive up until this date is because he has to do this. That no matter how much he has done her wrong, it’s never too late to apologise, to simply acknowledge what he did horrifically wrong to her. And he means it. The apology he made just then, he means it. All of it.

It’s just strange for him, because even if Aeiyoung accepts his apology, he knows it won’t make him feel any better about himself. The damage is long done but he just needs to say… sorry.

After a long silence, Aeiyoung finally utters softly, “You know… I wasn’t mad at you. It was more of hurt, pain. I didn’t understand. I had so many questions in my head. It was shock, anguish, horror all mixing in together. I never understood but it was just so hard for me to be angry directly at you. Because even though all the memories we had were fake and was for a show, I cherished it. And the fact that I did was probably the main reason why I was so hurt.”

With her gaze pinned with his, “Your apology won’t make the pain I felt over the ten years vanish, nor it will lessen. The scar you gave me will forever remain but it’s all that it is now, scars. Just scars.” She stops but she is yet to finish, “And I am lucky because there is someone who loved me wholeheartedly despite it. He loves me, my scars and everything that came with it.

And thank you.” She adds, “Thank you for doing this. It finally puts proper closure to between us.”

Yoo nods, his lips pressed into a hard line. He realises Aeiyoung is still the same girl with a pure heart, except, that she’s a lot and so much stronger this time. He can see it, from what happened at the reunion then and now. And hearing this someone who loves her for who and what she is, he hopes that her new lover, whoever this man is, won’t hurt her that way he did or even at any form. She needs to be loved and cared more than ever, something he failed to do despite finding himself in-love with her for the time they were together.

Yes, he was in love with Aeiyoung then, when the whole show and bet was happening. But it wasn’t enough to change him, to stop him from inflicting the pain on her that was bound to happen by the end of it all.

“I have a question though.” She prompts and then requests, “Put your mask back on.” She’s worried in the possibility that, that little time he had it removed might worsen his condition. She continues, “And this is not about us. This is about you.”

“What is it?”

“Does your family know about this?” She questions.

Yoo snorts quietly, rolling his eyes as he shakes his head. “My family doesn’t give a about me. They pay part of my treatment but they never visited me since I was admitted.”

“Then who is with you, with all this treatment?”

“Me.” He simply answers. “When the news spread within our high school batch, there were still kind people who came to me.”

Aeiyoung smiles. That’s the thing, Yoo might’ve been the world’s biggest jerk to her but he was a good acquaintance and friend to many of their batchmates.

“Your best-friend is included in that.” He informs, making the lady furrow her brows.

“Mina knows about your condition?”

He nods. “She has been helping quite a lot, too. She thinks of me as her charity case.” With the expression she’s holding, he asks, “Is there something wrong?”

“Huh?” She moves his head sideways. “No, it’s nothing.” But she wants to talk to her best-friend when she comes home. They need to talk. Why hasn’t she said anything about him?

Yoo shifts in his wheelchair. “I think I need to go back now.” He says, finding it already difficult to breathe. He begins coughing.

Aeiyoung cringes at it. It sounds so harsh. She stands up, “I’ll take you.”

“The nurse would be back soon.” He says, not wanting to bother her.

“No, I’ll take you.” He insists.

Yoo doesn’t argue. He feels weak to do so.

When they get to his private room, with the assistance of the nurse, he is immediately treated with his current state. Aeiyoung chooses to stay, standing back, rather feeling worried. When they are done, they bow to the patient’s guest and she bows back as courtesy. Yoo has fallen asleep. With that she decides to stay until he wakes up. She sits down on the couch provided in the room, her mind begins to be busy again as she starts thinking.

Three hours later, it’s already dark, the male wakes up, and the lady is standing by the table next to his bed. He notices how the water pitcher has been refilled and how his surrounding has become cleaner.

Aeiyoung smiles softly at him, “Hi.”

“You’re still here?” He asks surprised.

She chuckles, “You’re not dreaming. I didn’t want to leave without saying goodbye.”

“Oh.” He bobs his head, understanding.

Finished with what she’s doing, she grabs her bag. “I bought some food. I know too well hospital food aren’t the best.” She informs. While he was asleep, she talked to his doctor and did some research about his diet.

“Thank you.”

She nods. “I’ll visit again.” She says. Though, she’s really not sure when exactly. Just before she strides out the room, she tells him, “Get yourself well, Yoo.”

“I’ll try.”

With that, she leaves and heads straight out of the hospital, walking towards the bay of taxis. She gets one, directing it to her place.

By the time she arrives, it’s already dark and the moon is out. As the vehicles pulls over by the gates, she pays and gets off. She then notices that Jongin is there, walking back and forth with phone over his ear, running his hand over his already messed up hair. She stays still, staring at him, soon catching his gaze when he seems to sense someone is looking intently at him.

His expression becomes unreadable, putting his phone back to his pocket as he strides towards her. “Where were you?” He asks, worry in his voice is apparent.

“Around.” She answers vaguely. She doesn’t think now is the best time to mention about where she really was. “Why?”

“What do you mean around? I’ve been trying to call you for hours now. Do you know how worried I got?”

“I’m sorry.” She apologises. She takes a step forward and smiles, fixing his hair that’s everywhere. “I didn’t mean to make you worry.”

Getting a closer look of her and her eyes, he feels something different, making him feel slightly uneasy. “Did something happen? What happened?”

Aeiyoung shakes her head. “Nothing, really. Just been a long day.”

Jongin sighs and hugs his girl close. “Where did you go all this time?”

Her lips presses together, humming, “Here and there. Watched kids play by the fountain and then met someone.”

“Who?”

“Just a friend I haven’t seen for a long time.” She tilts her head. She’ll tell him about Yoo next time when it isn’t like this, it’s too much for a day. “I’m sorry I got you worried. How was the meeting?”

“It went well.” He answers. “What happened to your phone?”

“It died. But I’m safe.” She says. “You didn’t need to worry like that.”

“I was extra worried because I left you upset and I didn’t like that.” Jongin, only for Aeiyoung, can get really insecure. During his meeting with the Taiwanese businessmen, he has been constantly worried about her, regretting that he didn’t insist taking her with him. But he needed to focus, so it will finish quicker, so he could go back to Aeiyoung.

When it did though, he couldn’t reach her, he tried going back where he left her but she wasn’t there anymore. That’s when he began to worry and panic. For hours, he’s been painfully worrying about her. He even wondered if she was avoiding her after what happened. It scared him.

Aeiyoung looks at him in surprise. “You knew I was upset?”

He nods. “I felt it.” He says. “And you left like that when you never do.” He was hurt when she didn’t say his words of affection back at him. He swears he’s never like this but it’s always been like that whenever it comes to her. Jongin becomes that lover boy, that hopeless romantic guy.

“I’m not upset anymore.” She isn’t upset with him to start with, anyway— not directly at him. “Let’s call it a day?” She’s tired and she can see he is, too. This day has been long for both of them.

“But I barely got time spent with you.” He almost whines, not really wanting to part with his girlfriend.

“There are other days, aren’t there?”

“Don’t you want to spend time with me?”

Oh, she smiles, she pecks his lips. “I do.”

“Then, why are you pushing me away?” he asks.

She chuckles, but bites it back when she sees the expression on his face. “I’m not pushing you away. I’m just saying, you have a habit of continuing on and abusing yourself when your eyes are already screaming the word rest.” She plays with his collars. “Auntie is worried about you overtiring yourself. It can be unhealthy already.”

He exhales. “This is another reason for you to move in with me.” He justifies. “So you can look after me better and the thought of coming home excites me because I know you’re going to be there.”

“Let’s think about that more, okay?” She rationalises. “For now, let’s call it a day and besides,” She remembers something that she nearly forgot, “we’re seeing your sisters tomorrow for dinner, aren’t we? Jaein’s excited for it.”

“Oh, that slipped out of my mind.” He admits, finding himself slowly giving in.

“What happened today won’t happen tomorrow, would it?” She asks, scepticism oozing out of her eyes. “You have to let me know.”

“No,” He moves his head side to side. “Sorry for what I did.”

“It’s done now. We really can’t do anything about it.” Hearing that inflicts a crack in his heart, he doesn’t like his girlfriend talking this way. He knows she's not getting the attention she deserves out of him. He doesn’t want to make the same mistake he did before.

When she senses the insecurity in him, she cups his face, and tilts it upright so she can hold his gaze. “It’s okay now.” She reassures. Smiling, she leans in to kiss his chin, “I’ll see you tomorrow.

He sighs, he really doesn’t want to part with her yet because he knows he has to make it up to her but then, he gives in. If rest is what Aeiyoung wanted, then he won’t push it his way. Taking in her features, he returns Aeiyoung’s kiss, but with her lips. “Mina is inside.” He then informs as he breaks away.

She frowns, “Why didn’t you come in?” Now that she thinks about it, he knows the passcode to their place too. Why did he stay out here?

He sighs, “Not knowing where you are, worried and anxious, I felt suffocated in a closed area. I had to breathe somewhere open while feeling all that.” She mouths another Sorry and he curves his lips. It’s okay now because she’s here, safe in his arms. “Go in now. She’s waiting for you.” He whispers, kissing her.

“Okay.” She nods. “Be safe going home.”

“Of course.”

She gestures towards Gyo, acknowledging his presence. He was also worried about her. The older man was just actually waiting for a demand from his boss to go search for her. Fortunately, she came before Jongin did so.

Entering her place, she sees no one at the lounge, the dining or at the kitchen. She assumes that Mina must be in her bedroom so silently, she knocks, cautious that she might be interrupting something. When she opens the door, she sees her best-friend video-calling with her boyfriend.

“Hello?” She smiles, abashed. “Hope I didn’t disturb the both of you?”

“Silly.” Mina calls. “Of course, you didn’t. Come and say Hi to this giant boy.”

Aeiyoung strolls to her bed and waves her hand at the camera. Looking at his surrounding, he must be at his music studio again. “Hey, Chanyeol.”

“Heyyo.” He greets. “Good thing you’ve come home, Mina is starting to get worried. Neither her or your boyfriend can reach you.”

“Am I fragile glass?” Aeiyoung questions, to no one in particular. “You guys get so worried. I’m fine.” If this is still about what she did ten years ago, “I won’t do that again. If I had plans, I would’ve done it again in the years that have passed anyway.”

“It’s not that.” Mina rolls her eyes. “You’re forgetting how precious you are to us, to me, that little things will, of course, worry us. The thought of something bad happening to you is very tormenting you know.”

Chanyeol agrees, although he has known Aeiyoung for the time he started dating her best-friend, he’s witnessed how precious Aeiyoung is to his girlfriend.

“But I’m stronger now.”

“Oh, boo.” Mina rolls her eyes. “You’ve always been strong.” She states. “Anyway, where have you been all this time you’re missing?”

Aeiyoung only gives her a smile and she gets that.

“We’ll talk after you’re done talking to him. I’ll be in my room.” She bids. “Bye, Chanyeol.”

“Bye bye.” He waves his hand.

Aeiyoung eyes at her best-friend. “Your boyfriend is too cute for his height.”

“Oh, hush.” Mina responds, throwing a small pillow at her.

The other lady giggles and leaves the couple alone, throwing the pillow back at her. She goes to her bedroom, grabbing the charger at the drawer of her bedside table before heading straight to her bathroom for a quick shower.

When she’s finished, she stands by the vanity, receiving a message from Jongin that he’s home and he misses her— already. A smile graces her lips, replying that she also just finished showering and is going to bed soon.

She’s applying her facial moisturiser when she hears someone knocking to her door twice. She stays in her place as she knows that Mina will enter anyway. She waits for her and smiles when she sees her best-friend by the door.

“Done talking to your boyfriend?” Aeiyoung asks, closing the lid of her moisturiser.

“Yeah.” Mina answers. She joins her best-friend who is walking to her bedroom to sit. She asks, “So, where have you been?”

“I went to see Lee Yoo.” She announces and seeing how her best-friend freezes, she says, “You didn’t tell me.”

Mina’s head lowers in guilt. “I’m sorry.” She looks up. “It’s just that Yoo has done you so wrong.”

“That makes me not deserving to know?”

She sighs. “No, it’s not that. I just—” She’s lost for words. “I didn’t think there’s a need for you to know. You are already happy with Jongin, I can see that.” She pauses “And besides, after what he’s done… would you really want to know?”

Aeiyoung answers honestly when she answers, “Yes, I would want to know. ” She sees her best-friend’s confused face so she explains, “Yes, Yoo has done me wrong. He ed me up. But did you really think of me, someone who would hold a grudge like that in my heart and wouldn’t care at all? Do you think I’d be in this situation if I’m not over and free from whatever he did to me then?” She presses her lips into a small smile. “I was never mad at Yoo. It was something else but not anger. But whatever it is, I won’t choose it to wish the adverse situation for him. That’s not me.”

She fidgets with her fingers as she looks down. “Did he call you?”

“Yes, he did. It wasn’t you who gave me number, was it?” She presumes, judging from how she didn’t want her to know.

And she’s right as Mina admits it. It didn’t matter who gave her number because Yoo always had his ways. “He did insist on wanting to talk to you himself.”

“He made a right choice.” Aeiyoung states. “At least, we got to talk. Me, from the pain he gave and him—” She stops. “Being more mature.” She feels as though saying: Him, in his better self would be quite caustic to say.

“You have such a big heart, Aeiyoung.” Mina tears up, feeling like a hypocrite.

She met Yoo behind her back, even though she knew so well how much the male scarred her best-friend. But at the same time, she felt it would be evil of her to not do anything knowing what was happened to him. Because of everything, taking out his show out of the equation, Lee Yoo was a good colleague, even though he was cocky, he had a heart and probably he just didn’t know the way to properly express it.

“Why are you crying?” Aeiyoung asks, wiping the other lady’s tears.

“I just feel bad...” She mutters. “And .” She looks up to meet her eyes. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine.” She says. She holds her hand and squeezes it. “It’s fine.”

 

The next day, Aeiyoung and Jongin are over at a traditional Korean restaurant, waiting for Sera and Jaein’s arrival. They have ordered a small meal, much like an appetiser, just to fill their stomachs up a little bit as Sera called that they will be late for an hour. None of them wants to cancel it because the youngest one has been so keen of it happening.

Now that they are still alone and for awhile, Aeiyoung is thinking that this might be the perfect opportunity to tell him that she met Lee Yoo yesterday. Hopefully, it won’t ruin Jongin’s mood. She isn’t sure how he will react because she hasn’t mentioned anything about her ex-boyfriend since their relationship started. There was no need then, anyway.

“Uh…” She starts nervously, instantly catching Jongin’s attention.

The male looks up, his eyes finding hers instantly. A soft crease is in his eyebrows when he asks, “What is it?”

“I have to tell you something.” She confesses and he starts to feel uneasy, seeing how her eyes filled with apprehension. When he’s silent, she takes a deep breath and begins, “Uhm, I…” She swallows. She feels herself being more nervous than she imagined. “I met Lee Yoo yesterday.”

The knit in his brows deepens. “He’s the long time friend you haven’t seen in awhile that you met yesterday? The someone?”

She nods, guilt-ridden. Her head is low, not daring to look at his eyes. She wants to say something to get rid of the mood but she doesn’t know what. He isn’t say anything, which makes everything feel more intensifying and agonising.

When she glances up quickly, she sees how Jongin’s gaze are narrowed at her, somewhat both offended and confused. After being silent for five long seconds, he says, “What did he want from you?”

Aeiyoung looks up with agape. She wonders how did he know that it was Yoo who wanted to see him?

Seeing that, his gaze hardens, the same way his voice is so stern. As if he’s reading through the thoughts running inside her head, he says, “I didn’t think you’d go and take the initiative to go and willingly see him.” After all, why would she want to see the very person who hurt and made her suffer for long? “Am I wrong?”

“No,” She answers, finally finding her voice. “He did— He did call me. He earnestly asked for me to meet him.”

“What happened?” He asks, his voice cold.

“He asked for my forgiveness. He apologised, acknowledging the wounds and scars he left on me.”

Jongin can barely stop himself from scoffing, subtly poking the inside of his cheek. His eyebrows arch as he repeats, “Apology. Forgiveness. After more than ten years? Not to mention what he did to you when you last saw him months ago.”

“Yes.” Aeiyoung feels like her airway is clogged. She's looking at him but she can’t figure what he’s thinking. “Jongin…” She calls and when he flicks his eyes at her, she holds her breath. “We…” She swallows the lump sitting inside . “I… I met him in the hospital.”

“Is he sick?”

She nods the second time, since the topic opened up.

“How sick is he?”

“Lung cancer. Stage four. The cancer spread on both of his lungs and his other organs.”

“You forgave him?” He follows up, “That’s why it was already dark when you got back.”

For the third time, she bobs her head for both of his question. Anxiously, she dares to face him. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you last night.”

“Why didn’t you?”

“I thought of calling you through other ways because my phone but I knew you were busy with your meeting and how important it was.”

“Not being able to reach you worried me as heck, Aeiyoung.” He reminds and she knows that too well.

“I know. But another reason was that you already worried enough for me, and I’m sure the day exhausted you as well. I didn’t want to fill you up more with this.”

Jongin remains still and after about ten seconds, he picks his chopsticks back up and feeds himself. The action bewilders the lady and what he says next, surprises her. “How is he going with the treatment?”

“People are helping him. Our batchmates, and his family, financially.”

He nods.

“Jongin.” Aeiyoung is confused. “Are you mad?”

The male stops what he’s doing and he’s serious when he returns the question, “How did you feel after that? How are you after meeting him?”

“Okay and relieved because finally, we’ve come to a complete closure between us.”

“Then, it’s okay.”

Jongin isn’t upset or offended like he initially felt because as they go on, as she furthers answering all his questions, he realises that Aeiyoung never really intended to hide it from him and he greatly appreciates that.

After everything that had happened in his past, honesty is something he greatly treasures and his girlfriend is that to him.

Of course, he isn’t all happy that Aeiyoung met her ex, he’s still a man after all. But, what she's done is enough assurance for him as to who he really is to her. She's honest to him and that is also enough indication that she respects their relationship— all that brings him back to what his Mum said about relationships. It’s not all love, that there needs to be respect and honesty. That’s what Aeiyoung gave to him.

The lady on the other hand relaxes, breathing in relief, releasing all the held air inside out. Jongin isn’t mad. He isn’t mad. Thank heavens.

As a prompt to ensure that everything is okay, Jongin lifts his one brow playfully while the chopsticks stay between his lips. He’s smiling when he teases, “Do you want me to be mad?”

Aeiyoung’s eyes enlarges as she quickly answers, “No.” She pouts, “You looked quite mad earlier so I thought…”

“I was. Close.” He says, this time serious. “But now, I’m not.” He follows, “Thank you for being honest.”

She smiles softly, wariness completely washed off her system. Not being contented with her gesture, the lady decides to stand on her feet and walk around to hug her boyfriend around his shoulder, kissing the crook of his neck.

Jongin, slightly off-guard, puts his eating utensils down and engulfs her around her middle, making her sit on his lap. They are looking at each other when he utters, “When my sisters arrive, let them take the seats across. You’re going to sit here, next to me, so you’re close.”

“Okay.” She nods willingly.

The couple stay in that position, Jongin feeding his girl from time to time, until Sera and Jaein comes in, breaking the tranquility and sweetness of the moment. Both startled, Aeiyoung blushes while the male shakes his head. His sisters never fail to intrude his moment together with his girlfriend.

Jaein rolls her eyes at the older sister, “I told you there wasn’t any need to rush.”

Jongin chuckles, while his lady stands up on her feet. “You two came earlier than said.”

“Well, I didn’t want to keep the two of you waiting.” Sera reasons. “But by the look of things, there wasn’t even waiting happening.”

If Aeiyoung’s cheeks can be any more red, it is probably at that state. She tries to hide her face away and luckily her boyfriend saves her by telling them, “Come over already. I’m starving for the actual main course.”

Like how the guy wanted, the sisters take the seats across them while the couple sit next to each other. Their hands remain intertwined whenever there’s an opportunity, at times, his hand is over his girlfriend’s thigh. Jongin is making sure that Aeiyoung is eating well, making her eat all the nutritious stuff. She returns the gesture, making the whole picture too sweet for the sisters. They are there, they chatting and talking but whenever the couple are talking to each other, an invisible bubble just forms around them.

Jaein is enjoying the scene, sneakily taking photos of the two. While Sera, on the other hand, deliberately slam her chopsticks down in attempt to burst the pair’s bubble, muttering an “I swear” like she's pissed off at the same time. (But really, she isn’t. The two are just too sweet for her, she feels jealous.)

The four walls fall into complete silence, and it isn’t even long when the youngest sister just bursts into a chortle. She can tell Sera is acting this way because she has no love life for herself. Getting what the chuckle meant, the other two begins to snigger, resulting for the oldest woman to narrow her eyes at them.

Oh dear, they are just sure that there will be more of these in the future.

The dinner finishes an hour and half later, not wanting to stay too late because Sera still has an early duty the next morning, the same goes for Jongin.

 

The next two and a half weeks passed by both pretty quickly and painfully slowly at the same time, as the the times for the two to see each other were limited due to their busy schedules. But, Jongin would sometimes come over at his girl’s place to surprise and simply because he missed her so much. Seeing her, especially on his tiring days, was always a breath of fresh air for him. It’s like he’s gaining back all the energy he lost after being so exhausted the entire day. Aeiyoung is his energy, his strength— his everything. (It was this little acts and simple surprises from him that assured the lady of his love and affection for her despite the problems coming at her.)

There will be times when he’ll settle watching her from afar, particularly during the day, when she's out at work. It’s pure luck, really.

Because one time, he stopped in front of Iveely, holding onto that one small chance of seeing a glimpse of her, while he was on his way to another appointment. And at the times he couldn’t, he would call her quickly, even just by a minute so he could hear her voice. With something as simple as that, Jongin knew he could go on for the rest of the day.

On the other hand, during those weeks that passed, she never failed to give him a morning call, giving him messages to remind him not to overwork, and then before she would sleep at night, she would call him. Her heart actually swelled in love, one time, when he requested to do a video call instead, wanting to both see her face and hear her voice.

On the eighteenth day since that dinner with his sisters though, Aeiyoung’s system dropped. She is unsure what virus got into her that she falls sick with severe colds and coughs. It’s been a long time now since she got sick, given her slightly weak immune system. She was okay the day before but came the night and that’s when it hit her.

Mina knocks on her door the following night, being unable to go to work. She gets in and checks on her best-friend who is currently wrapped up in her bed, who’s trying to open her heavy eyes.

“How are you feeling?” She asks, trying to see if she’s any better than this morning. “Better?” She sees a weak smile from her a response. She sighs, taking the thermometer in her hands from the bedside and checks Aeiyoung’s temperature. When she sees the reading, she shakes her head disapprovingly. “Your temperature’s too high. I’m taking you to the hospital.”

“No, that’s too much. I’ll just take meds again.” She says weakly.

“Aeiyoung, no!” She snaps. “Please don’t be stubborn now.”

“Mina,” she calls. “You know how much I hate the hospital. Just give it a few days and it’ll go away. Promise.” She reasons, “My body might be fighting off the infection that’s why my temperature rose.”

“Aeiyoung.” She frowns. “I’m calling Mr Kim. You’re not stopping me.”

“Mina—” She coughs, striking a pain to her head.

“Him or the hospital. Your call.” She says, leaving the other with no choice. When she doesn’t say anything, she rolls her eyes, muttering, “I thought so.” She takes her phone out and dials the male.

Aeiyoung closes her eyes, sinking her head back to the pillow, and could barely hear the conversation her best-friend is having with Jongin. Not even long, she falls asleep.

Hours later pass and she flutters her eyes open to see Jongin eyeing on her worriedly. She calls his name sickly.

A furrow in his brows forms, giving both a worried and reprimanding look at her. “You’re already this sick and you’re not even planning to let me know.”

“It’s just fever.” She reasons. “This is normal. You know with the weather and all.”

“Aeiyoung…” He calls pained at the sight of how small, weak and sick she’s looking. She looks pale and her lips are dry and chapped. “Dr Heo came here to check on you about two hours ago.”

Despite her asthenic state, she asks, “Who is Dr Heo?”

“He’s a good physician, Aeiyoung. A trusted one.” He answers. “He said it’s good that you were checked early and avoided possible infections. Otherwise your condition could’ve gone worse.” He says in a slight frustrated tone.

She breathes with difficulty, “What time is it?”

“Three ten in the morning.” He responds patiently. “Are you still cold?”

“Colder than usual but not too cold.” She returns another question, “Where’s Mina?”

“She stayed, then she left shortly after Dr Heo did. She told me she’ll be staying over her boyfriend’s place and will be back by dawn to check on you.”

Aeiyoung exhales, “You both are overreacting.”

He puckers his lips disapprovingly. “After what the doctor said, I don’t think so. You’re the one underreacting here. You should’ve called me you were sick. I’m your boyfriend if you forgot.” He mutters lowly. Aeiyoung feels guilty at that. “Do you see the IV drip on you?” She looks at it, realising that a needle is injected through her skin. She sighs. “An oxygen mask was on you as well for about an hour. It was removed when your breathing stabilised.” He moves closer to her. “We might need to put it back if you find it difficult to breathe again.”

“I’m breathing fine.” She informs, feeling drowsy again. “Aren’t you going to sleep?”

How can he? He needs to watch over her.

“Nothing’s going to happen to me, Jongin.” She requests, “Just stay beside and hold me, please?”

He breathes, tempted at the request she made. Having changed into his comfortable clothes, he crawls on the bed next to her. He cuddles her in his embrace, over her chest, making sure she is warm.

Finding her in a situation like that was a complete horror to Jongin. He didn’t like it. She looked too pale for someone who claims to only have a fever. Moreover, she looked so lifeless and it pained him to see her like that. His girl is too stubborn and independent and he’s starting to hate it. He felt stupid for believing her when she said that she’s okay when in reality, she’s almost dying and burning into her cold bed.

Their gaze are locked to each other, caressing her cheek with his thumb, he utters his worry, “You scared me.” Aeiyoung holds his hand that is over her face. “Don’t do that again, you hear me?”

“I really thought it was just a simple fever. After all, it’s been so long since I was last sick.” She reasons.

He traces the line of her nose, humming, “Mina mentioned your weak immune system.”

“Just slightly weaker than normal. I’m not that fragile, Jongin.”

Jongin doesn’t say anything for a beat, just staring at her eyes. Then he breaks, “I’m going to take care of you.” It’s no option for her, he’s going to do that even if she doesn’t want him to. “And you’re going to listen to me.”

She manages to make a small smile, joking slightly as she finds his radiating protective side amusing. “I’ll try.” She says. “For now, can we sleep? I promise I’ll be better tomorrow.” She assures.

Her boyfriend sighs but listens as he presses a kiss on her forehead, snuggling her face safely into his embrace. She takes his scent that she always loves. “Good night, my love.” She hears him whisper.

“Good night.” She replies softly, falling into sleep few seconds after that.

Having her system crave for rest, she easily falls into deep slumber. Silence engulfs them, only having the four walls be filled with the quiet and unobtrusive sound of the air humidifier and the air conditioner.

Aeiyoung is deep asleep as Jongin is quite awake, still worried for his girl. Twenty seven years into his life, he’s never found himself so worried for a girl like this. It feels foreign and alien but he thinks that maybe, the reason why he’s more anxious is because he just fears of something real bad happening to her.

He feels anxious because he knew how he was like before, he barely cared for anyone, other than his family. He basically neglected the woman who was carrying his child and he can’t help but somehow put the blame on himself, that’s why all those nightmare and suffering happened. For most of the time, he didn’t care for Seomi, her health, how she was doing for as long as he was giving her the financial support he’s supposed to give. Perhaps that is the reason why his daughter didn’t make it out alive, because the world knows he can’t be a good father to her.

And now, he’s scared because— what if he’s doing the same to Aeiyoung? He’s choosing J.KEH over her, being not able to pay as much attention to his girlfriend like he’s supposed to, like how a good boyfriend should. He won’t even know about her sick condition if Mina didn’t decide to give him a call. He’s so clueless. He feels stupid. He feels useless.

He doesn’t want to lose Aeiyoung because of his stupid self, because he’s preoccupied of the things that matter less than his girlfriend. She means so much to him and he really can’t bear to lose her. He doesn’t want to make the same or even similar mistake he did back then. He doesn’t want to go back to the world without her. He can’t live that world again. No.

These thoughts are running inside his head after having days pass of not seeing his girlfriend. This isn’t the first instance it happened, sometimes, the longest would even be a week of not seeing each other. But, remembering that day, how upset Aeiyoung was when he went to that meeting when they were suppose to spend the entire day with each other, is still tormenting him. No, in fact, it’s coming back. He didn’t mean to make her upset, yet he still did so.

Jongin blinks and that’s only when he realises he’s already crying as the stream of tears flows down from the corner of his eyes, through his nose bridge until it’s on the other side of his face. He wipes it with his free hand and closes his eyes, tightening his hold on her. Only Aeiyoung and his love for her can make him cry and worry like this. He loves her more than words can express that he feels like his heart is about to burst each time.

Hours later, Jongin wakes up at sound of ruffling around and the sun is already up, shining brightly. He opens his lids and slightly turns his head to see Mina having breakfast prepared for them. She’s setting the food on the small table that she assembled, having it placed next to her best-friend’s bed. This is so the couple, especially the sick lady, won’t have to walk out to the dining to eat and that Jongin doesn’t have to worry about it. She also refilled the water of the air humidifier so it keeps running without hassling any of them later.

Mina remembers how extremely perturbed and concerned he was when he found Aeiyoung on the bed so sick. This is the most she can do for them and she’ll do it for her best-friend and the boyfriend.

She looks up and smiles softly, greeting him quietly, “Good morning. I got breakfast ready for the two of you.”

Jongin nods and turns, carefully placing Aeiyoung’s head to the pillow, so he can sit up after freeing his arm under her so he can properly talk to Mina. He also takes that as an opportunity to check on her temperature. He smiles when he sees colours in her lips. It’s still pale, though not as pale as last night.

The lady stands patiently and beams when the male is up. He checks the time on his phone as she asks, “How is she?” It’s already half past seven in the morning.

“She’s fine. She isn’t as hot anymore. The medication helped.” He answers. His gaze falls on the table, eyeing at her, slightly baffled. “You prepared all this?”

Mina nods. “I arrived about two hours ago, around five. I prepared what Aeiyoung’s Mum usually prepares when she’s sick. It’s light but the soup is nutritious.” She hesitates, “I’m not sure what you have for breakfast so I prepared the typical. Is that okay?”

He smiles appreciatively, “More than okay. Thank you.”

She breathes in relief. She sees the male placing a hand over her best-friend’s forehead. She asks, just in case, “Is she deep asleep?”

He hums, “She is.”

Then, Mina decides this is the perfect opportunity to talk to him. “Jongin, can I talk to you?”

He meets her gaze, slightly surprised but agrees to it, nonetheless. Leaving the lady in slumber, they head out of her bedroom, closing the door, and towards the dining area to talk.

“What is it?” He asks, running a hand through his hair, to fix it from being messy.

Mina presses her lips together, quite nervous. “When I came earlier, I came inside her bedroom with intentions to check on her.” She’s about to spill how sweet their position was but she’s going to hold that back as she wants to talk about something serious with him. “I don’t mean to pry but I saw you were crying with your lips tight. Was it because of Aeiyoung? Were you that worried about her?”

Jongin remains silent.

“Look, you don’t have to say anything you don’t want to. I’m not going to force you.” She assures. “I thought I should just ask.”

She still remembers how aloof and private her cousin’s best-friend could be. She won’t be surprised if he chooses not to say or share anything because, although they’ve met, they are not exactly close. She just worried that she might’ve caused that anxiety on him after making that phone call.

“I was.” He admits. He still is. “I was that worried about her. It scared me.”

She asks carefully, “Aeiyoung has mentioned all about Lee Yoo, right? And whatever happened in her first relationship?”

He nods.

Okay. This makes it a lot easier for her. Mina finds herself explaining, “Ever since she overdosed herself, the condition of her immune system drastically dropped. Don’t take my word for it, I don’t know anything about medicine but I think it was the side effect of the drug she attempted to end her life with. She gets sick more often than others do, even from little things. Sometimes, it’s simple fever, other times, she gets confined at the hospital for a day or two. But over the years, it gradually improved, though still not as good as normal.

“I’m telling you this because Aeiyoung will just tell you that she’s okay now and she isn’t as weak just to assure you and make you less worry for her.” She says with character and sassiness, which manages to make the male to smile a little, because that really is his girlfriend. His woman, who dislikes people worrying about her.

“But you are his boyfriend, and besides the fact that I trust you, you have the right to worry as much about her and I can see that you really care about my best-friend. But she’s okay. She probably just needs more caring but not as much as a fragile glass anymore.”

“She just doesn’t tell me anything. She’s so quiet especially about sharing burdens and her thoughts.” His sigh is deep when he continues, “She doesn’t tell me she's already suffering.”

Mina hums, “That’s Aeiyoung.” She follows, “But, I don’t want you think you’re not doing a good job as a boyfriend to her. When in fact, you are. I know you're trying. Aeiyoung grew up, she changed but in a better way. She’s becoming more valiant and gradually dauntless. It’s just that, it’s hard for her to talk about things that she knows will worry the people who cares for her. She’ll remain quiet and be stubborn about sharing because, it’s either she doesn’t want burden us or, she wants to face it alone.” She sincerely looks at him, “What I’m saying is, there will be really times when you need to pump it out of her. And I hope you won’t get tired?”

Jongin shakes his head.

The best-friend smiles at that. She knows how much he means to Aeiyoung and seeing this, the love, affection and concern seeping out his gaze, is enough reassurance and to ease her heart that this male in front of him will really take care of her best-friend more she hopes he will.

“Okay,” Mina gets up. “I’ll leave her to you and I’ll come back again later. What time do you need to go?” She asks, knowing how a busy man he is.

“No.” He says, looking at her softly. “I’m not planning to leave until she’s okay.”

“You were pretty shaken up, weren’t you?” The lady can tell.

He hums.

She walks around the table. “Okay, I’ll come back tonight.” Giving him a light hug, she pats his back, “Take care of my sister, yeah?”

“Yeah. Be careful.” He smiles.

“Yes, I will be.”

Mina walks to her bedroom while Jongin heads back to Aeiyoung’s bedroom. He finds the lady still asleep in the bed. He grabs his phone and contacts Dr Heo, getting him to check on her again. He sits on the edge of her bed, cupping her warm cheeks. About ten minutes later, she wakes up.

Aeiyoung opens her eyes, finding her boyfriend gazing down at her gloomily. Judging the brightness of her room compared to the last time she’s awake, she knows it’s morning already. She greets him with a croaky and sickly voice, smiling so he will too.

Jongin breathes out heavily. “What am I going to do with you?” He questions, feeling helpless more than ever.

The sick lady frown slightly. “What do you mean?” She tries to get up but Jongin stops her.

“You…” He says. “You keep making me feel all these feelings. It’s so many of it my heart can explode but at the same time, it won’t because you’re keeping it intact and strong.” He mutters.

Aeiyoung grabs his hand and kisses it. She smiles sweetly at him.

He sighs. “Ji Aeiyoung, you make me so crazy, you don’t even know.” He utters, leaning down to kiss the apple of her cheeks. He lingers his lips over her skin lightly before he informs, “Mina prepared breakfast for us. Hungry?”

As Jongin sits back, she turns her head and sees the food prepared. She attempts to get up again and this time, the male lets her, assisting her carefully.

She looks at his countenance when she asks, “Where is she?”

“She left just a few minutes before you woke up.” He answers and then her gaze drops back to the food.

“I’m not hungry…” She says hesitantly. She has no appetite to eat.

He shakes his head. “You need to eat. Dr Heo will be coming over again to check on you and I’m not letting you have an empty stomach.”

“But…”

“Don’t be stubborn, okay? You have your meds to take and you need to recuperate, sweetheart. I want my healthy baby back.” He wishes, so tenderly yet demandingly but so sincere at the same time.

Aeiyoung feels herself at that so, she gives in. “Okay.”

Contented, Jongin gets the bowl of soup in his hand. He grabs the spoon and blows it, before feeding it to her. It’s not that hot anymore but he doesn’t want her to burn.

As he does that, she asks, “Are you not going to work?”

He looks at her, raising a brow.“Did you really think I’d go to work with you like this?”

She blushes as she shakes her head.

“Hm, that’s right. I’ll take care of you until you’re perfectly okay. Here.” Cautiously, he feeds her and although she can barely taste its flavour, she likes it. “No more getting sick, alright? Not on my watch again.”

She nods obediently— for Jongin and herself, she’ll try her best to be okay and perfectly healthy again.


AUTHOR's NOTE:
 
Unedited (like always, lol). I am doing something out of my routine because I usually post updates when I've written at least two chapters ahead, but I thought this was needed(???). First is because it's the 1st of December, second is because I want to thank you for the 200 subscribers, like geez, never expected this fic would receive that much. Haha. THANK YOU, GUYS! Do I even deserve this many with my subscriber account when all my intention was to write for myself? It feels surreal. 
Third is because I just want to say how I'm really proud of Kai and what he did. With the Big Issue magazine, when he chose not to be paid with his photoshoot to help out the people in need... He's such an angel. He wasn't even vocal about it. And I'm just so proud of him.
 
Also, another reason is, I will be pretty busy for the coming weeks from this point on so I don't know how often I can write and update here, but I will try my best!
 
See you. x