Chapter Two

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Two

Aeiyoung wakes up with a slight headache. She frowns at the bright ray of the sun shining through the window, which makes her wonder what time is it. She turns her head to the side and reads the time from the modern desk digital clock sitting at the bedside table on the left.

Eight fifteen. She reads, breathing out in relief that it’s Saturday and for once, her weekends are free kind of.

She gets up from the bed and heads towards the vanity area of her bathroom. She freshens up by brushing her teeth, washing her face and moisturising it. She ties her up in a loose bun and heads out of her bedroom.

She eyes on the door adjacent to hers and wonders if Mina made it home last night or if she’s at her boyfriend’s place. Quietly, she opens the door and sees her sleeping soundly. Her scent and the reek of alcohol are fighting together. It’s unpleasant but still bearable.

Aeiyoung shakes her head with an affectionate smile and then makes her way down to the kitchen to cook something for herself and for Mina, who’s obviously knocked out. She wonders how much alcohol did she drink last night; did she lose control again?

But as she arrives at the kitchen, the doorbell rings. She presses the intercom to see who it is and a man wearing a neon coat with a helmet on is before the door. He’s holding a small bouquet of yellow tulips.

The lady creases her eyebrows at the sight, wondering for whom the flowers are for. Or maybe, they got the wrong house. She heads to open the door and greets the deliveryman with a friendly smile, “Yes?”

“Flowers for Ji Aeiyoung.”

She’s hesitant to accept the flowers as she can’t think of anyone who would send flowers for her. Oh maybe... him.

“Okay…” she mumbles, and holds the tulips in her hands. She bows slightly towards the man, “Thank you.”

Aeiyoung closes the door and reads the card as she walks back to the kitchen.

I hope you like the flowers. I am only asking for one dinner date. I hope you can say yes soon. Enjoy your weekend. – Seo Kangjun

She is shaking her head upon finishing reading the card. She looks at the flowers beautifully arranged and places it over the kitchen counter.

Seo Kangjun is someone she met in University when she was still studying. They became good friends until he migrated to Japan with his family and finished his studies there. Four months ago, he came back and has been asking Aeiyoung for a date. But the lady isn’t interested at all.

Perhaps, the lady thought, there are people in the world who are better to be kept as friends and not any more than that. And that who Kangjun is to Aeiyoung. She has told him many times that they are better and well as friends but the man keeps persevering her. At this point, she can’t help but think that he is just wasting his time and effort for a lady as unworthy as her.

For breakfast, she prepares herself some Baked Egg French Toast with Warm Milk. For her best-friend, on the other hand, she cooks some Simple Homemade Chicken Ramen, ready to sip in whenever she wakes.

Just in time, her best-friend walks in with a big crease on her forehead, groaning.

“Good morning.” Aeiyoung greets, as she puts the ramen in a bowl for Mina. “Here, have some of this. It’ll help you.” She tells him, placing a bowl in front of her.

“Thank you~ Ugh, I’m so drained.” She complains. “I should not have done that.”

The other lady sits back down, finishing her French toast, with a cheeky smile. “Mina, let’s be honest, shall we? You say that and then you’ll do the next time again, anyway.”

“True.” She agrees and justifies, “Partying is fun. It’s nice!”

“Whatever.” She shrugs. Sure, it's nice but she doesn't completely agree with her.

Massaging her temples, Mina notices the small bouquet of tulips, sitting aside. “Who sent the flowers?” she asks. Her best-friend gives her a look and already gets who it is. “Seo Kangjun.”

Aeiyoung nods, drinking the last bit of her milk.

“Seriously, I don’t know the reason why he still keeps on insisting on pursuing you when you pretty much rejected him at every attempt he does. Like if I was the guy, I would’ve been really hurt and won’t even think about doing it again.” She says and the other agrees completely.

“Tell me about it.” She says, placing her plate and glass on the sink.

“But I don’t get you either.” She states, “I mean, Kangjun is such an ideal man. What’s wrong with him? He’s so kind, a good and obedient son, good-looking, and smart. You can tell he’s serious about you. Why not give him a chance?”

Aeiyoung is leaning against the sink, looking at her best-friend in a way reminding her the reason why.

“Aei, maybe it’s time to give him a chance? Give these guys who likes you a chance. It’s real bad luck if they are as bad, jerk, and ed up as that is.”

“Yeah, see that’s the thing. All my life, I’m nothing but a bad luck or a person that brings that. So, no.” she says firmly, shaking her head. She then diverts the topic as she doesn’t really want to talk about it any further. “Eat your food. I’ll go get some medicine for you.”

“But I’m fine getting them myself.”

“Just eat.” She tells her, walking towards the cabinet hallway where tablets are kept. She comes back with the medicine and cup of water. “Here.”

“Are you going to work today?” Mina asks.

“I don’t know yet. I might work here for the day or I might need to go to the office and check the team.” She answers, getting her laptop and opens it at the lounge area.

“Wow, so much dedication~” She remarks and the lady rolls her eyes. She goes back to eating the soup she made for her when something comes to her mind. “Oh, by the way, How is Kim Jongin?” Aeiyoung looks at her, slightly shocked. “So…?” She asks again, eager for her answer.

“He’s… he’s fine.”

Not getting her answer, she repeats, “Fine?”

“Yes.”

Mina questions, unsatisfied with the answer. “Like that’s it? Fine?” Aeiyoung nods causing her to groan. “Oh, come on, it’s got to be more and better than that.” Her best-friend looks away and ignores her ー only causing for the latter to sit at the lounge, closer to her.

“Are you even done eating?” she questions.

“Food can wait. I am more interested about what happened between you and Mr Kim.” She says, appearing as if the headache she’s feeling earlier is gone.

“Well…” She thinks about it carefully. “He’s very warm, welcoming and sweet.”

Mina raises her eyebrow. “Is he now?” So these are the words behind ‘Fine’, she thought.

Aeiyoung rolls her eyes at her best-friend. “A lot happened last night.” She tells her. “There’s this man who tried to hit on me.”

“What?!” She panics but the other lady assures her.

“Tried.” She repeats, indicating the male didn’t succeed. “It’s okay though. I’m lucky enough that time that Jongin was there.”

She relaxes. “It’s good he was there. I might treat the man something.” She says and then apologises, “I’m sorry, I didn’t even know.”

She snorts, “It’s okay, you were having fun with your boyfriend so, it's all good. And nothing bad happened to me anyway.”

“Thanks to Jongin.” Mina leans back on the sofa. “You know, maybe, getting Sehun to introduce you to his best-friend is probably the best decision I made after a while.”

She stops typing on her laptop, “You know what, I didn’t expect Mr Kim to be such a gentle man you know?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, being a very successful and fulfilled CEO, I thought he would be… you know, very professional, critical, and domineering but strangely, he’s very friendly. He doesn’t think as high of himself as people see him to be.”

“Maybe that’s why he’s so successful.” She presumes.

Aeiyoung carefully thinks about it. “Maybe. The fact that he knows how to interact, relate and communicate to other people is what made him who he is today and all the reason why everyone loves him. I mean, surely, this is based on my impressions of him but I’m positive, he’s very wise, rational, astute and shrewd. And being like that and modest at the same time, he’s one of a kind.”

“You know, as I listen to you and if I happen to be your friend and not your best-friend, I would think that you like him.”

She frowns at her. “What? Mina, no. I’m just telling you how I think of him.”

“Okay, okay…” she says and then stands up, “I’m going to get some sleep again and would go shopping for some food later. Do you want to come?”

Aeiyoung hums, “I’ll tell you later. I have to see where this work would take me. It’s a demanding client.”

“Alright,” Mina nods, understandingly.

“Sleep well.” She tells her.

“Will do.” She replies and walks off to her room.

By the second she hears the door click close, Aeiyoung is already reviewing the document her colleague sent her this morning through email. She’s currently in the middle of conceptualising her next event based to their client’s request who happens to be finicky.

One hour and half into doing her work, she craves for some latte and cheesecake. She shuts her laptop and takes a shower. She takes a look at Mina who’s deep asleep and assumes that she won’t be waking anytime soon. Therefore, she decides to leave a note for her, just in case she worries.

She drives towards her favourite café and orders her cravings. She stands by, waiting for her order when she hears her name getting called towards her left.

Aeiyoung turns and sees Jongin. Her eyes widen in complete surprise at the unexpected presence of the man.

“Mr Kim,” she finally speaks.

“Nice seeing you here.” He says with pleased smile.

“Oh, craved for some coffee and cheesecake.” She explains. “What about you?” This is such a coincidence.

“I’m in the area so I decided to stop and have some caffeine. Maybe, something to eat, as well.” He then asks, “Do you live within the area?”

She breaks into a shy smile, “Oh no, no. I live about fifteen minutes away drive from here. My office is, though. I was at home when I craved so I came to this café.” She adds, “It’s my favourite café.”

“I see. It must be good here.”

She nods. “Hundred percent recommended. I rarely go to anywhere else.”

“Anything you’d like to recommend for me?”

“Anything is good.” She states confidently.

Jongin can’t help but be amused at such instance. Who would’ve thought they would meet again, in this place and so soon?

The crew calls for her name and Aeiyoung quickly smiles at him before heading to get her order to go at the counter. The same time, Jongin goes on and orders something for himself while she stands aside quietly with plans of saying goodbye just before she leaves. She thinks it will be rude to just leave without saying anything.

When he’s finished, he walks back towards her. She then remembers to do something.

“I’d like to thank you for driving me home last night and for also, getting my car along as well.” She says. “I don’t think I got to properly thank you.”

“That’s okay.” He responds. “I told you I’m happy to take you home. Also, if by chance, you need anything, you can always give me a call.” He pulls out his wallet and takes out a calling business card, giving it to her.

Aeiyoung takes the card and smiles, “That’s very kind of you, Mr Kim.”

Hearing the name Mr Kim, Jongin frowns slightly, intrigue. “Have you always called me Mr Kim?”

The lady nods, saying softly, “Yeah.”

She thought it would be too informal if she will call him by his first name.

“Not by Jongin?”

“No…”

The man didn’t realise at all. He’s so used to getting called Mr Kim as only Sehun, few close acquaintances and his family calls him by his first name. And somehow, Aeiyoung calling him ‘Mr Kim’… he isn’t very fond of it.

“Then, can you call me by Jongin?” he asks.

For the first time in his life, he asked someone to call him by his first name. Usually, he would just tell them to call him that but never asked someone to do so.

“Uh…” The lady is unsure. “I don’t think that would b–”

“You allow me to call you by your first name. I think it’s only fair to call me Jongin, won’t it?”

“But…”

“Please?” he asks.

Aeiyoung shakes her head. “Sorry, Mr Kim. But I don’t think that would be so appropriate.”

“Why not?”

How can she explain herself? Jongin is too high up to call him casually like that with his first name.

“Well…” Words are failing her. “Perhaps, I can do so in the future. I just think it is too soon.”

“Aeiyoung.” He calls her but gets cut off when the crew calls for him, letting him know his order is ready. The lady breathes in relief. She’s saved.

“Mr Kim, I think I need to get going. I’m sure you’re busy yourself. I’ll see you around.” She says politely before turning to exit the café.

Jongin calls for her again but she just turns and gives him a smile. Then, he forgets what he’s supposed to say. He’s there speechless, watching the lady slide inside her car and drives off.

As Aeiyoung arrives home, uneasiness crawls inside her body. Did she somehow offend him? That isn’t her intention at all. She parks in the garage and stays behind the wheel, thinking over her behaviour. She worries that maybe the male got the wrong idea. She closes her eyes, mentally scolding herself.

She’s then interrupted by a knock on her window. It’s Mina. She opens the window as she breathes.

Her best-friend asks her, “Are you okay? You look a little uneasy.”

“I’m fine.” She says. “You’re going somewhere?”

Mina knows she isn’t. She’s out of it but she won’t force her to say anything. Aeiyoung will tell her. She knows. If not now, soon. “Grocery shopping.” She answers. “Coming?”

“No, got more work to do.”

“Okay, anything you want me to get?”

She shrugs. “I’ll leave it to you.”

“Okay.” She nods, and heads to the other side where her car is parked.

Aeiyoung climbs out of the car and watches her best-friend drive out the garage before going in. She puts the paper bag and her coffee on the centre table and sits down the couch.

She stares at her phone and the calling card Jongin gave her earlier. Should she message him and apologise if he felt offended? Or should she just leave it?

In the end, she decides to leave it as she’s nobody the more she thinks about it. She’s sure that Jongin has a lot of other things in his mind to even worry about what happened earlier.

Aeiyoung takes a deep breath and focuses back on her work.

 

Two hours before sunset Mina comes back carrying heavy bags with her both hands. Aeiyoung shuts her laptop off and gathers all her papers into an organised file. She helps her best-friend organise everything she bought into the pantry.

When they are finish, Mina sits back down while the other lady offers some Orange-Mango juice. “Yes, please.” She requests and leans back to rest.

Aeiyoung pours down the juice on the glass and places it at the centre table as she reaches the lounge. “Here you go.”

“Thank you.” She breathes tiredly and glances towards her best-friend’s laptop and paper works. “Did you just finish doing your work?”

Aeiyoung looks at her stuff and nods lightly, “Yeah. Got to immersed.”

Mina arches an eyebrow and her best-friend just knows what that look is.

“Workaholic.” They both say simultaneously and crack into laugh.

“Seriously though, you need to know how to tone down. Did you even got up for toilet breaks?” The crazy girl advises and asks, sounding a little too serious – concerned.

“I believe I’m doing just right.” She says, drinking a little bit from her glass.

Curious lady, she checks through her papers, looking at what she’s been working on and can’t help but just open her eyes wide. “Wow.” She gapes. “You did all this?”

Aeiyoung chuckles, “No, parts of it were done by my team. It’s not all me.”

“And you have this?!” Mina widens her eyes as she picks Jongin’s calling card.

Alarmed, she puts down the glass and tries to get up to get the card back but, the other lady doesn’t let her. “Mina!”

“No,” she replies, “what is this? You better tell me what’s up! Mr Kim Jongin, a very private CEO, just gave you his number!”

She knits her eyebrow, “Wait, don’t you have his number?”

She lets out a bitter and sardonic laugh, “I wish! I met him quite several times but I never got a chance to get his number. He just never gives it out. Only his family and Sehun has it. And probably some others who are his close business associates.” She leans back, “You know what, now that I think about it, if you probably met him earlier, he would’ve still given his number to you in one way or another.”

Aeiyoung doesn’t say a word.

“But the question I’m most curious of is… how?”

She takes a moment to look at her, reluctant but tells her anyway. What is the point of keeping it? “He gave it to me.” She finally speaks. “We saw each other today at White Haven’s.” Mina is getting impatient. She wants to know more and Aeiyoung can just see that, so she continues, “I was craving for some cheesecake and their coffee so I went and get some. Then, he was there. Apparently, he’s around in the area. So, I took the chance to thank him properly for what he did last night and then he offered some helping hand if I ever needed, giving me his card and yeah… that’s it.” She summarises.

“He’s concerned.” Mina concludes as she finishes talking. Her best-friend gives her confused look. “And he’s interested in you.”

“He’s not.” She firmly disagrees.

Her best-friend’s gives a hopeless sigh, “Aeiyoung, he’s not like that. Mr Kim is not like him.

“He could be.” She returns. “And I am not ready to take on that risk again.” She pauses, Not yet.”

“You just think that.” She insists. “What if you are ready but you just don’t know and you wouldn’t know are unless you–”

She gets cut off when Aeiyoung softly lets her know, “I think your boyfriend is here to see you.” She stands up with a small smile, gathering her stuff and heads towards her bedroom. She’s relieved that she is able to get herself out of her best-friend’s admonition.

Mina turns her head towards the front door, momentarily baffled but becomes oriented when she hears the door open after sounds of someone punching in their code. She rolls her eyes and pouts at her boyfriend’s bad timing. She then turns to watch Aeiyoung go inside her room.

“…really?” she squints her eyes as she looks at her boyfriend to greet.

“What?” He asks, obviously has no idea of what’s going on but proceeds to kiss his girlfriend’s cheeks.

Aeiyoung smiles at herself as she faintly hears Mina telling off her boyfriend for coming at that moment while he is just questioning himself what he did wrong, clueless. It’s a mini, playful fight she has nothing to worry about. They are usually like that – considering how her best-friend could be so bossy at times.

 

The sun is setting, it is Saturday and Jongin is still in the conference room. The meeting is taking a lot longer than it should and he isn’t very impressed. He is losing his patience.

Since Kim Jongin arrived at the headquarters, anyone who saw and greeted him as he walked by could tell that he is either in a good or bad mood. He became very difficult to read which tensed up his staff and now, if they wanted to keep their jobs and they don’t want to get in their boss’ bad side, they follow his orders as precisely and promptly as he orders.

This isn’t only noticed by her staffs but as well as the board of directors. They felt it as soon as the CEO entered the conference room.

“Mr Choi, this meeting has gone far way too long.” He says, upholding the authority he has. His gaze is dark. “Get to the point.” He demands sternly, word-by-word.

Mr Choi clears his throat and composes himself once more. He proceeds with what he’s saying and cuts his presentation short, directing to the point as the CEO asked.

“Mr Wang,” he calls and the called director straightens himself up. “Review your proposal for your proposed development project once again. I want a thorough and comprehensive report made by an experienced director – not as if it’s by some newbie.” He gives the document back. “Present to me when you’re ready.”

“Yes, Mr Kim.” He bows.

Noticing the troubled and unfocused director, Jongin asks him, “Are you okay? Do you have a situation? Family or whatever it maybe?”

Mr Wang looks up, a little stunned for the concern their CEO has. “No, Mr Kim. It’s all my fault. I sincerely apologise.”

Jongin nods and doesn’t pursue the subject. “Then, better do your job right.” He strictly commands and then turns to everyone. “Good work, everyone.” He dismisses.

With that, the entire board of directors bows down and walks out of the conference in a civilised manner – nodding towards the CEO. Jongin gets up, selectively returning the nods while buttoning his blazer together. He calls for Reya.

“What do I have tomorrow morning?”

Reya looks over his schedule and answers, “You have a meeting with Mr Chan at nine. And another meeting with Mr Go at–”

“Cancel both of that. Set it for another time. Clear my schedule only for the morning. I’ll be back around twelve.” He instructs. Though it’s Sunday, business doesn’t stop.

“Okay, Mr Kim.”

Before taking another step, he adds, “Also, call Rheid back to my office in ten minutes. I want to talk her privately.”

The lady nods, “I will do so, Mr Kim.”

“Good.”

He dashes down through the hallway to his office. He sinks himself to his leather seat, hand on the nape of his next and closes his eyes.

His phone rings and tiredly, he answers it.

“Hello?”

“Son!” His mother greets. “How are you? You sound so tired.”

“I’m fine, Mum.” He says. “Just been a long day.”

“Oh, dear.” She worries.

“What is it? Did anything happen?”

“Nothing, son. There’s no need to worry.” She assures. “I just called to know how you’re doing. It’s been so long since your father and I have seen you.”

Jongin stands up and looks out the night view of the city. “I’m sorry, Mum. Things just got very busy.” He hears a knock on the door. It is Rheid. He holds his hand up and she knows what it means. She exits out of the office quietly. When she’s out, he turns his eyes back down to the night but busy city and asks, “How are you and Dad?”

“Oh, Jongin, we are okay. We’re perfect. We just really missed you. Tell me, is there something new about you? Anything. I want to know what’s going on with you nowadays.” It’s only then when Jongin’s mother begins to really realise how much she misses her son – his face, his voice, everything about him.

“Nothing. Just the same things.” He answers. “Though…” He’s hesitant if he should talk about it. He’s never really talked about girls he met before. He didn’t want to. In fact, he wasn’t willing to. However, there was one point he did but only because he needed to. The situation forced it out on him. And that happened to be her. But if all that didn’t happen, then they, especially her mother, won’t know anything about what he’s done and the girls he’s gone out with. Never.

But now, here he is. In spite of his hesitance, talking about her to his mother comes to mind; when he really didn’t need to. He just wants to because she’s been on his mind and she won’t leave.

“Though?” She repeats, eager to hear more from him. “Come on, tell me.”

Jongin puts his hesitations aside and continues on. He’s got to talk about her. Though, he isn’t sure for what reason. He just feels to do so. It’s his mother after all – the mother who loved and loves him more than anyone. “Last night, it was Sehun’s farewell party and then I met this girl…”

“Uh huh…” She says to let him know she’s listening. He’s got her full attention.

“And, she won’t get out of my mind.” He finishes.

The woman smiles at herself. Jongin can feel it but doesn’t say anything. “How is she?” she asks.

“She’s very pretty. She’s a fine, reserved lady. Somewhat mysterious to me. She has a nice voice. She’s stunning. And I don’t like how she calls me by Mr Kim and not Jongin.”

“Well, that’s the first.” His mother comments.

Jongin breathes. First of what? First of so many things he never imagined doing in his life – talking about a girl he only met, being frustrated that someone is not calling him by his first name, opening up without having the need to. It’s so many things.

“Do you like her?” She asks.

He presses his lips together in a soft and thin line. “I don’t know.” He shakes his head. “I don’t know, Mum.”

“So, it’s not a no.” She smiles. That is more than enough. But to her, she knows he does. She knows his son. He’s interested and all things start with interest. Maybe, at the moment, he’s just scared and not yet ready to accept so – could be because he’s unfamiliar with it but she’s sure he does. And if she’s wrong, whoever this lady is, she’s not just anyone to her son. She has an unidentified impact to Jongin and her intuition says it’s good. At the moment, she’s going to trust that. “Then, you are… interested in her.” It’s a not question. It’s a statement.

“I want to see her again, Mum.” He expresses.

“Then do so, son.” She encourages. Hearing him sighing heavily, perhaps, in hesitation and qualm, she adds, “Do something, Jongin. Call her. Meet her. Get to know her. And maybe, eventually, we’ll get to meet her. I…” she emphasises, “…will get to meet this lady.”

“Mum.” He calls and tries to build his courage and become optimistic.

“But honey, don’t rush things. Beautiful things take time.” She reminds. Jongin’s mother can’t help but feel happy. Her son who is a big, successful CEO and bachelor is still the same loving, anxious, and caring son like he was before he achieved all his milestones and achievements as the CEO Kim Jongin. He’s still her little Kim Jongin.

“Thank you, Mum. I’ll see you and Dad soon.” He tells her.

“That soon, better be very soon.”

“Yes. I promise.” He assures. “Good night.”

“Good night, too. Please have some rest. I don’t like you overtiring yourself, you hear me?”

“Yes, Mum. I won’t.” He replies softly. “Bye~”

“Goodbye~.”

He walks over to his desk and presses a button on the phone.

“Yes, Mr Kim?” Reya answers.

“Rheid can come in now.” He informs.

“Right away.” She answers and the line cuts off.

In less than a minute, Rheid comes in and is welcomed by a nod of acknowledgement and small smile from Jongin. He gestures towards the lounge area and tells her, “Have a seat.”

Rheid has been working with Jongin the longest and she is his trusted person whenever it comes to business but if there's one thing she'll never get used to about Kim Jongin, that would when she's unable to read if he's in a good or bad mood. Because it's during those times when he could be unpredictably scary.

The previously a-little-nervous lady is now relieved to face a calmer, laid-back and somewhat mellow Mr Kim when she sees him smile. And before her eyes he’s still the efficient CEO giving out the utmost professional vibe in a genteel manner.

He's not in a complete good mood but it improved — much preferable than the Mr Kim they all saw in the conference room earlier.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

I am overwhelmed at the amount of subscribers I received just by posting the first chapter. That very amazing and astonishing for me as compared to well known EXO-L authors here on AFF, I managed to have more than 10 subcribers in the first chapter! That's so cool, omg. I did not expect. THANK YOU! THANK YOU! OMG!

Until the next chapter!