Chapter One

Undeniably Lost

Chapter One

Outside J.KEH main building, stands a tall man about a hundred eighty-three centimeters in height, by the lobby. His hair jet black, wearing white long-sleeved cotton polo top matched with a pair of a light shade of grey coloured slacks in skinny cut, and ending with plain toe white with lining of light brown oxford shoes that overall highlighted his out-of-this-world proportions.

He walks through the automatic glass sliding doors and heads toward the reception. The receptionist welcomes him with a bright and friendly smile. “Good Morning, Sir. How may I help you?”

He takes off his black round sunglasses and smiles softly, “I’m here to see Mr Kim Jongin.”

“Do you have an appointment, Sir?”

“No but please, let him know. My name is Oh Sehun.”

The receptionist nods and dials a number on the telephone. “A man named Oh Sehun is wishing to see Mr Kim.”

Sehun stands patiently, resting his hand over the counter. He thinks it must be his best-friend’s executive assistant.

“Yes, right away.” He hears her say.

She puts the telephone down and bobs her head up and down lightly. “Mr Oh, here is your access card. You can head through the lift towards the far-right hand side. It'll take you to the CEO's floor.”

“Thank you.”

As he arrives on the floor where Jongin’s office is located, he’s welcomed by his EA. “Reya, isn’t it?” he asks.

“Yes, that’s right, Mr Oh.” She gestures toward the lounge area of the floor. “Please have a seat. I’ll let Mr Kim know you’re here.”

“Thank you for that.” He says kindly.

“No worries, Sir.” She asks, “Would you like anything to drink?”

“I’m fine with water.” Reya turns to another lady who seems to be an intern. “Please get Mr Oh a glass of cold water.” The other lady bows and follows as she’s ordered. Then, she turns back to him. “It’ll be here shortly.”

“Okay.” Sehun takes a seat and waits patiently for Reya’s cue for him to enter.

Kim Jongin, on the other hand, seems to having a mood that is rather grey and gloomy just like the weather he can see through the glass walls of his office, located high enough to see the skyline of the city. It’s cloudy, reasonably bright thus the sun's ray isn't strong and he’s unsure whether it’s the climate of the day that influenced his mood or the fact that so far, his day has been running painfully slow.

He is reading an important document submitted by his staff when the phone buzzes.

“Yes?” he answers, deadpan.

“Mr Kim, Mr Oh is here to see you.” Reya informs.

The CEO creases his brows slightly, unable to figure what his long-time and only friend is doing in his office. It’s unusual, but not the first so he nonetheless responds, “Let him in.”

“Okay, sir.” she responds and the line cuts off.

Jongin piles up the documents together and stands on his feet. He walks around his desk to welcome Oh Sehun as he enters inside his extravagantly spacious office, with its interior designed in a modern way, dominated with the colours white and grey with minimal black.

“Jongin.” The latter greets, giving each other a brotherly hug.

“What’s with the sudden visit?” he asks, not that he minds. “Take a seat.” he gestures towards the area where sofas are set out elegantly.

“I know we’re supposed to see each other tomorrow night at my farewell party in Echo 9.” Sehun sighs and takes a seat, so does his friend. “But plans have changed.”

Jongin lines his bottom lip with his forefinger. “How come?”

“Mum.” The male simply answers and the other breaks into a smile.

“She wants to spend the night with the family before you leave?” he assumes.

Sehun raises his eyebrow up and down, confirming the other’s assumption. “Pretty much.”

Jongin chuckles, “Still the same, huh?”

His friend leans back, giving a hopeless shrug. “It’s Mum. Oh, also, the real reason why I came here was because of this.” He pulls out a note from his pocket and puts it on the table. “My housekeeper found that months ago, but only remembered to give it to me this morning.” He explains. “You know how she is… she’s pretty old and could sometimes be forgetful.”

Reaching out, he reads the note, then glares at his friend darkly. “Why would this be in your house?”

“She must’ve left it when she came over my place when she was looking for you.” Sehun answers. That could only be the explanation.

Jongin’s gaze noticeably darkens more, “Why would you show me this?”

He returns the same look, only less intense than the other. “Because it concerns you.”

Bull. Jongin wants to snap. It does not. Or maybe, he really just didn’t want to care at all.

Sehun leans and rest his elbows over his thighs, holding his hands together. “Jongin, don’t you think it’s about time to forgive her and yourself?” He asks consciously. After all, it’s a sensitive topic he knows his dear friend wouldn’t like to talk about.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.” He says low and sharply but before the topic drags any longer and the tension any thicker, he bids, “I don’t want to talk about it. I’ll see you tonight.”

Sehun sighs defeatedly but stands up regardless. He really can’t argue with Jongin at the moment. He didn’t want to — not when he’s about to leave. He’s aware his friend would be sensitive at a topic like this but something needs to be done so he can free himself in the past he’s trapped in. He’s at lost trying to figure how can he help his best-friend. He didn’t know whether he should act indifferent as if nothing happened or continue to force him to face what he doesn’t want to. Because only then his wounds would heal. Sehun wants to help since a long time ago, but he didn’t know where to start. He didn’t know how.

Feeling hopeless, he pats his friend’s shoulder before walking his way out of his office. “See you tonight.” He mumbles.

Jongin doesn’t respond with his mood just dropping further.

Hearing the doors close, he crumples the note in his hands. He despises talking about things relevant to his past, that past he endeavours to forget. And he just hates when his friend clearly knows about it but does so anyway.

Minutes later, Reya knocks into his office. The boss closes his eyes, composing himself before answering to her respectful call of his name. “What is it?”

“Sir, your next meeting is ready to start.”

“Okay.” He responds and the lady exits.

He stands up from the leather seat and grabs his blazer, heading towards the conference room. On the way, he composes himself once more so he will present himself the same and usual CEO they’ve always seen. Reya is following behind, holding the documents with his laptop necessary for the meeting. Everyone in the room stands on their designated spots and greets the CEO.

“Take your seats.” He commands at he sits in front, facing everyone. "Let's begin right away." He says, and takes a seat.

The lady places the laptop with the important document on the side within his space, and walks back to her desk before the meeting commences. When the door of the conference room closes, one of the heads, stands up and reports away. Just like that, the session begins and continues until the sun sets.

“Another meeting at quarter to seven, am I right?” he asks Reya who was waiting outside when the meeting finished. They walk back to his office.

“Yes, Sir.” She confirms.

“Cancel it.” He commands.

She opens about to say something, but wisely closes it as she responds politely, “Okay, Sir.”

“You’re done for the day.”

The assistant widens her eyes but can’t hide the excitement in it after hearing his boss’ permission for her to leave. She wants to ask why, but sets the idea aside, fearing he might change his mind. So, she says, “Thank you, Mr Kim.”

Jongin remains quiet and continues to walk back to his office.

He spends his time alone, now looking out the night view of the city full of lights. He takes his time to think as thoughts of thoughts of different kinds run through his head. The city seems so busy but calm and oriented. And there is his mind – busy, messy and everywhere with the effort of keeping control over it.

The next time he checks the time, it’s already five past eleven. Not realising how the time flies so fast, Jongin doesn’t change and heads out where his driver patiently waits for him.

“To Echo 9.” He instructs.

Twenty past eleven, he arrives at the club and everyone’s already hyped. As he enters, Sehun welcomes him and presents his other friends who namely were Suho, Xiumin and Baekhyun.

Jongin nods and acknowledges them. He’s seen Suho before, once, but it wasn’t casual. It was for business so it’s rather new to see him out of his business attire. While, he – he just didn’t care at all. He’s here for Sehun, not for the party or whatever’s in it so who cares if he’s wearing his business suit.

He makes his way to the bar and orders a simple cocktail drink.

“Black Russian.” He tells the bartender and turns his head as everyone dance to the beat the DJ’s making.

Minutes later, Sehun comes back with two females following closely behind.

“Jongin,” He calls and the male turns his attention to the three figures walking towards him. “I want you to meet, well, Mina, of course you know her, she’s my cousin and then, Aeiyoung here, is her friend.”

Jongin’s gaze turns to his good friend’s cousin and her friend – his gaze at her lingers but not for too long.

“Best-friend!” Mina corrects and rolls his eyes at her cousin. She turns to Jongin, making the man look at her. She holds her hand out, “Nice to see you again, Mr Kim.”

“Likewise,” He says in a very civilised manner, returning the courtesy.

Mina nods with her friendly smile then turns to a sly one when she looks at her best-friend. “Okay, so now you’ve got some company, I’m going to head and dance with my boyfriend. Get to know him. Socialise!” she tells her, pushing the girl to Jongin. Off guard, Aeiyoung nearly trips to fall but instinctively, he catches her by the waist.

She giggles and bids them goodbye before pulling Sehun away. “Cousin, let’s go. You have other guests to entertain.” She nags.

Sehun ignores whatever she said and yells to Jongin, “There’s an event coming up. Stay ‘till then!” His voice is only loud for him to hear, as he gets dragged away.

When they are gone, the male looks at the taken aback lady which snaps her out of her stunned self. She stands up, clearing before saying, “Thank you and… I’m sorry about that.”

The man doesn’t say anything and drinks his cocktail.

So, she continues, “About Mina…she’s…uh,” stuttering, unsure what to say, she wants to slap herself to get herself together, “she’s a crazy girl.” she says, emphasising on the ‘crazy’ word and clarifies, “sometimes.”

Aeiyoung questions the purpose of saying that as she finishes. Obviously, by what Sehun said and Mina’s greetings to him earlier, this isn’t the first time her best-friend and this man met. And anyone who met her would agree that she’s indeed a crazy girl. Anyone would be able to figure.

Jongin breaks into an amused smile before saying, “That’s okay. I don’t mind some company.”

The lady breathes in relief and finally manages to give a calm and soft smile. “I think it will be best if we start over.” She says and then, holds her hand out. “My name is Ji Aeiyoung.”

“Kim Jongin.” He says, shaking her hand.

She finds herself in astonishment once again. He is the Kim Jongin! As they hold and shake hands, she feels how warm and soft his hands are in hers. She withdraws it before she could linger to his hold and sits down at the bar stool next to him. She calls for the bartender to order, “Cosmo.”

“Mina said you’re her best-friend…” Jongin initiates, dismissing the silence between them. The lady nods, not looking at him. “Then, how come I haven’t seen you often?”

Being Sehun’s best-friend, Jongin was there whenever he held parties or gatherings and Mina, being a close cousin to him, she’s there too. As far as he could remember, Mina hasn’t missed anything Sehun had hosted. And usually, she brought along some other companies which he assumed to be her circle of friends. So, it’s in his curiosity to think that how come, Aeiyoung, the best-friend, isn’t always with her?

Aeiyoung gives her a confused look.

“I mean, considering Mina and Sehun are always together during events…”

“Oh,” She now knows what he’s talking about. “Workaholic,” She simply answers. “as my best-friend calls me.” Saying thanks to the bartender as he served the drink she ordered, she continues, “Apparently, I have no social life. Or that I needed more of it.”

Ah. Jongin answers inside his head, and turns his gaze back to his glass of cocktail. Curiosity hits him, wondering if she’s the nerdy or bookish type because most people are if they don’t go out and have the time of their lives like how most would. Though, he tries not to judge her quickly. Maybe, clubs just aren’t her thing. And unusually, he’s curious to know if that is so.

“Have you met Sehun a lot?” he continues to ask.

She hums, “Several times?” she says unsurely as she never really paid attention to the times she met Mina’s cousin. “But most of it aren’t at parties, though. I usually see him during the day whenever he comes over for Mina and I happen to be at home.”

Aeiyoung wants to applaud herself for being able to talk casually and calmly without stammering in between – like she did so before. Inside, however, she still can’t believe that she finally met the Kim Jongin. The bachelor who happens to be admired by everyone. Especially at her University back then, before she graduated. The name Kim Jongin was everywhere. Everyone talked about him. But the lady being so laidback, wanting her last year to just finish, she didn’t bother to join everyone with the fuss. She knew Kim Jongin by name and status but not by face. And damn, they were right. She now agrees to what she thought before as exaggeration. He is breathtakingly handsome. His beauty and aura are out of this world.

Not wanting to look disinterested in the midst of masking her astonishment, she feels it’s her turn to ask questions, “So Sehun is a good friend of yours?”

“More than a good friend.” He answers. “We’ve been friends since we were nine.”

She gasps, “Wow, a long time.”

He chuckles, “Yeah, long time. – What about you and Mina?” He returns the question.

“We were twelve when we met, being classmates. But we were fourteen when the friendship began.” She sips from her drink, “So yeah, good friends and better than ever.”

He swivels the bar stool towards her direction to look at her, “And what do you do?”

The question came out of nowhere but nevertheless she answers, “I’m an event coordinator for a, well… an event management company.”

“Interesting,” he comments. “What events have you done?”

“Charity balls, fashion shows, product launches, anniversaries, weddings, academic conferences, inaugurations, and some business seminars.” She says, listing as much as she could.

“That’s a lot of events.”

Aeiyoung chuckles, “Yeah… Now that I think about it. – I think I know why Mina said I’m a workaholic type of person.”

“Takes much dedication.” He further comments.

“Not as much as you do. You are, surely, ten times busier than I am. Running a huge company takes a thousand more dedication…” She returns. “I mean, being the Kim Jongin…”

Jongin’s eyebrow twitches, “The Kim Jongin?”

She nods. “Your profile is everything and everyone in the industry thinks very highly of you. The rich, elusive, and outstanding bachelor and CEO.” She explains.

“I am no The.” He states. “And to answer your question, yes, I could get busy and things could get hectic. But a good businessman knows how to manage, act sensible and think rational in times matters could get chaotic. If not, then there’s no business.”

Aeiyoung nods again; agreeing with the male.

“What about you?” he then asks.

“Me?”

“Yes, you. Tell me something more about yourself.” He requests.

The lady laughs lightly. “I think I just did.” She continues, “And I also think it would be good to warn you that I am not a very interesting person.”

He raises his eyebrow, “Warning accepted.” He says. “But I asked because I am curious. And curiosity often comes with interest.” He finishes.

“Well point made, Mr Kim.” She gives in. “Is there any specific thing you want to know…or anything?”

Jongin presses his lips together, “Just anything about you. Hobbies, interests, dreams…”

“Hobby…” she hums, “I listen to a lot of music. Classic, mostly. At the moment, I’m actually interested in trying out some outdoor adventures. It’s something I have never done in my life.”

Intrigue, he asks, “Not even skiing?”

Aeiyoung smiles, embarrassed. “No, not even.”

“Camping?”

“Nope.” She answers, smacking her lips towards the end.

“School camping… at least?” he continues to ask.

She shakes her head. “No. Negative.” She tilts her head, “Boring, huh?”

Jongin doesn’t answer. He’s in disbelief and, surprised. He thought at least every person have tried one or two outdoor activities but obviously, he’s wrong.

“Dreams… to finally try those ‘fun’ stuff.” The lady giggles as she notices his reaction. She expected it. “Told you, I’m the most boring and very uninteresting person.”

“You know what’s interesting?” She looks at him, waiting for him to continue. “The fact that you haven’t done any of it.”

“There goes my life…” she laughs.

“And it would be amusing to see you finally try some outdoor recreations.”

“Oh, I don’t know about that.” She bites her bottom lip. “I’ve only seen them on TV and I’m pretty positive that it’ll be different in reality.”

“Well, that depends.” He answers. “If I am with you, I’ll make sure you’ll enjoy each thing you try.”

“I’m actually keen. But I rather not expect.” She tells him. “I’m assuming you’ve tried several of them?”

“Yeah. I have.” Jongin is surprised at himself for having this casual conversation to a woman whom he just met.

“What have you tried? Something you can remember at the top of your head.”

“Quite a lot.” He recounts, “Hiking, trekking, skiing, ATV, snorkelling, some water sports, windsurfing, flying, gliding, canoeing, kayaking, parasailing, skydiving and probably some others I can’t remember.”

As he mentioned each activity he’s tried and done, Aeiyoung’s eyes just seem to get wider and wider. “Wow,” drops ajar. “that’s a lot and very expensive too.”

Jongin chuckles lightly, “You don’t usually think of the costs when you enjoy doing them.” He says. “And that’s what you do when one point in your life, you’re everywhere. You do everything.”

She looks at him, scrutinisingly. His words are clear and straight to the point that it somewhat sounds very mysterious to her. Though, she still couldn’t believe at the things he has tried. Just how adventurous was he? Perhaps, it’s given considering being a Kim Jongin. With just that factor, it’s no wonder anymore. He is a naturally extraordinary man.

Moments beat when she feels her phone buzz. She takes it out her purse and excuses herself, “I’ll be back. I need to check this.”

“Go ahead.” Jongin nods and lets her as she walks to some distance away.

She unlocks her phone, reading the email that was sent in. Reading over it, she leaves a message for her other colleague as it is not appropriate to call her at this hour. When she finishes, she takes a turn back only to have a man, taller than her, block her way.

She looks at him carefully. His hair is blonde – brushed up, his jaw is wide, lips are smirking. “You’re blocking my way.” She tells him, as if not obvious.

“You dropped this.” He says, raising a silver charm bracelet.

Her eyes widen in alarm, and looks at her wrist. “Give that back.” She demands but he raises it up making it hard for her to reach and then hides it behind his back. If she attempts to get it, she’ll move closer to him and probably make contact. She doesn’t want that. So, she glares at him.

“No need to get all tensed up, baby.” he tells her seductively but it’s disgusting for the lady. He traces the side of her face and then her jaw. She instinctively moves away. “Here you go, if you want it.”

Aeiyoung grabs the opportunity. She attempts to snatch her charm back again and when she’s got it, she grips on it securely.

“Now, don’t you think it’s time to show some gratitude? Simple thanks will do.”

The lady clenches her jaw but mutters lowly anyway, “Thank you.”

“Oh no, no.” he shakes his head. “Not that thank you. There’s another way of doing so.”

Aeiyoung frowns at him, finding his words utterly sickening and obnoxious. “No.” She says sternly.

“Come on…” he urges, lifting her face as he holds her chin between his thumb and forefinger. She yanks his hand away, nearing the edge of her patience.

She’s boiling inside but holds herself back. The least she wants is to create a scene in Sehun’s farewell party. She wants to get out of the situation quietly before the man can go any further in molesting her but she’s nearing her edge. And she’s unsure if she’s ready to blow up.

She looks at him furiously before pushing him away, wanting herself out of the situation. But she breathes sharply when the male holds onto her arms in a tight grip. It’s hurting her.

Aeiyoung attempts to free herself but he’s far too strong. “Let me go!” she urges but the male just makes another pass by leaning forward towards her neck. She can feel his breath onto his skin and she hates it. She knows where this is going. “No, don’t!” she grunts.

“I heard the lady say no.” Jongin intervenes calmly – way too calmly for her. Though, his gaze is dark, serious and dangerous. He’s standing behind him with his hands crossed.

The other man smirks and turns to look at him. “ off, this is none of business.”

He looks at Aeiyoung, her eyes in distress with clear frustration, fear, anxiety and affliction. He sighs heavily and walks behind closely to her. “Oh, believe me, it is.” He says towards the male. His voice is more stern and a lot firmer. Anyone can tell he’s not mocking around.

The man hisses and tightens the grip on her. She yelps in pain, causing Jongin to intuitively punch him across his jaw, hard but with so little waste of energy. The same time, he makes sure that she is safe as he did not want her to get hurt any more.

Aeiyoung is free from his grip and takes a step back as the punched man stumbles back, groaning from the hit. Jongin searches for her wrist and grabs it firmly, careful not to hurt her. Then, he hides her behind his back, blocking the other to see or at least get closer to her.

The people surrounding them makes space, circling around them in a safe distance. None of them dares to meddle or intrude. The injured recovers from the punch, wiping the blood off seeping out of his mouth. He glares at Jongin, unable to accept that he was just hit.

But before he could make a move, Jongin advises him with authority. “I suggest you to think twice of the next move you’re going to make.” The crowd gasps in fear. Some are enjoying what’s happening; they love it when dramas happen in the club. Aeiyoung, meanwhile, leans closer to his back, hiding her face as she clenches her eyes wanting all of it to end already.

Pissed, the other man spits out blood, about to throw a punch, Jongin raises his chin up, when his friends come forward to stop him from doing so. “Dude, no. Not him.” One of them warns. In an angry state, he persists, causing the same man to shout, “Not him!” Then follows with a calmer voice, “We cannot mess with him.” Not letting him do any more, three men drags him out of Jongin’s sight, despite his strong resistance. Anyone can tell he’s under the strong influence of alcohol and perhaps his ego.

When they’re out the sight, Jongin relaxes his guard and turns to Aeiyoung, examining her. “You okay?” he asks, noticing the print of the firm hold on her arms.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine.” She says, nodding. She looks at him. His eyes are full of worry and concern. “I’m fine.” She reassures.

Though his gaze softens, he still isn’t fully convinced. “Do you want to go home? I can take you.” He willingly volunteers.

Aeiyoung wants to go home but she can’t let him do so, remembering what Sehun said to him earlier while Mina was taking him away. She wants him to be here. “I’m fine. I can go home myself.” She tells him. “I haven’t drunk much anyway.”

Jongin shakes his head, not fond of the idea. “I’ll take you.”

“No,” she counters, reminding him, “Remember what Sehun told you? There’s some kind of event coming soon and he told you stay until then.”

“I can’t let you go home yourself.” He tells her. “Sehun will understand.”

“But I’m okay. I’ll make it home just fine.” Then, an idea pops into her head. “If you’re so worried about me driving, then I can grab a taxi to take me home.”

He sighs sharply. He’s obviously not worried about her driving. It’s about the fact that she’s going home alone. He’s worried that some other men might attempt to do the same, if not, similar thing that the blonde-dyed hair did. He looks at her with a serious gaze. “Either you go home and I’ll take you or if you really want me to stay… then I need you to stay with me until that event or whatever finishes then, only I can take you home after.”

He knows he will only be restless if he can’t keep an eye on her until he’s rest assured she’s safe.

Aeiyoung sighs. He’s really persistent and appears to be adamant and she doesn’t want to argue with him. Because, first, she does not have that kind of energy to and two, she didn’t want them to fall into dispute as they just met.

So, she gives in, muttering, “If you must…”

Jongin opens his mouth to say something when he’s stopped by Sehun, who walks in.

“He’s out.” He announces.

Aeiyoung turns her gaze at him. No way…

“I kicked him out. He’s blacklisted indefinitely. People like him has no place here.” He adds, looking at his best-friend and then turns at the lady, “You okay?”

She nods, “I’m fine.” She gestures toward the man who saved her. “Jongin was there.”

“Thank you for doing that.” The man being mentioned speaks.

“He’s not supposed to be here, anyway.” He utters. “It’s only right to do so. – Are you going to take her home?”

“I was going to but she insists that I should stay for the event you mentioned earlier.”

“Oh,” Sehun shakes his head with a smile, looking down before back up. “If you’re worrying about that, don’t. I only said that because I wanted you to stay longer so you won’t dwell on your little black box again.”

Jongin raises an eyebrow at him, “Really?” he asks, sounding quite sardonic.

His best-friend only shrugs with a chuckle. “You guys can go anytime you wish. Or more so, she wishes.” He says and then places a hand on Jongin’s shoulder, “I’ll call you tomorrow or sometime before I depart.”

“Yeah, okay.” He answers faintly.

“Aeiyoung?” Sehun calls her as a bid of goodbye.

“Yeah, see you. And… I apologise for the trouble.”

Sehun snorts, reassuring, “No trouble at all.” He smiles sweetly, “I’ll definitely see you again.” He then walks off, nodding his head towards his good friend.

Jongin turns to the lady. “Ready to go home?”

“I want to stay for a bit.” She says dispiritedly, walking back to sit where she previously sat. She finishes her first glass of Cosmo and orders another one.

The male frowns at the sudden change of her decision then follows closely behind her. He sits back where he was since he came and watches her gingerly. He continues to drink his cocktail and wonders why she isn’t looking at him at all. Her gaze looks unhappy and troubled at the same time.

“Did I do something wrong?” he asks cautiously.

She stays silent but gives her thanks the bartender once again when she received her another glass of Cosmopolitan.

“Please talk to me.” He pleads.

“No,” she answers quietly. “you didn’t do anything wrong.” She tries to force a smile.

“Aeiyoung–”

“There is absolutely nothing you did wrong.” She emphasises, her tone cold and steely.

Aeiyoung is blaming herself, actually. The thing she hates the most is to bother other people, people doing other things for her, and/or to burden them. If that didn’t come to try and hit on her, and, if only she’s physically stronger, enough to protect herself from men like him – and that she knew how to be more assertive, appearing less scared and intimidated, then maybe she would look less vulnerable and fragile to him.

She appreciates him; no doubt. She knows where he’s worry and concern is coming from. But she just hates holding people back or somewhat similar. It just doesn’t feel right. It feels quite reprehensible. Because in all honesty, if none of that trouble happened then maybe Jongin will stay longer for his best-friend’s farewell party and will not feel obliged to continue protecting her at the moment.

Even her behaviour, she thought, is unseemly. She’s thankful, definitely. How could she not be? It’s just difficult for her to not see the other side of what she’s supposed to feel.

Jongin withdraws and Aeiyoung continues to swim through her thoughts. He still watches her attentively, regardless – wary that someone would attempt to hit on her again. His protective side, for some reason, foments. And it’s an unfamiliar feeling but strangely, he somehow likes it.

They continue to walk the path of their own thoughts. One is continuing to wonder and figure if he’s done anything wrong and what is it if he ever did. With the other continuing to allow her adverse thoughts fly around and about through her mind.

Jongin continues to recall what he did. Then it comes to his mind and it seems to be the closest one he can think of. He could only hope he’s right.

“Aeiyoung.” He calls. The girl doesn’t respond and continues to trace the lemon skin, cut in wedge style, with her finger. “Aeiyoung, please, look at me.” About a second or two, she decides to look at him; stopping whatever she’s doing and focuses on him. When he’s satisfied, he takes a deep breath and starts, “If you think I am leaving earlier than I planned because of you, you are dead wrong,” he tells her. “Please, don’t take your eyes off me.” He requests when she’s about to. He didn’t want her to miss the sincerity in his words. He continues, “I came for Sehun and not for the party. I can still see my friend tomorrow if I wish to. Or I can always come back here after I take you home if I really wanted to. Because by the looks of things, I don’t think this is ending anytime soon. But like I said, I’m not after the party.”

The lady keeps herself silent.

“I usually don’t do things I’m compelled to do. I do what I want and as I wish. So please, don’t trouble yourself so much into me insisting to you home. I’m doing it because I want to. Okay?”

Aeiyoung has got no idea how Jongin was able to pinpoint her conflicting thoughts but she manages to curve her lips into a small smile. “Okay.” She answers.

“Great.” He replies with a contended smile. “Should we finish our drinks and so I can drive you home?”

“But the car…”

“Gyo can drive it home.” He answers. He’s got it all worked out.

“Who is Gyo?”

“My driver.”

“Oh.” She giggles quietly, seemingly putting aside her worries after what he said.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

There we have it for the first chapter. I know it's long. But at the same time, I am not sure how often I can update this but I will always try my best to update as soon as I can. But I am going to continue to write for as long as my hands are itchy to type so I can proceed. Haha. I am planning this fanfic carefully and hopefully I am able to pull it off nicely. 

There's more to come. A lot to come actually. :)

If you liked this for a beginning, I am hoping you'll like what comes next and after that, allll the way until the end. Haha. (I can only hope.)