Chapter Seventeen

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Seventeen

“You are very naughty.”

Aeiyoung jumps slightly from her spot, hearing a surprising remark. Nara and May bow their heads politely, before leaving the lady and the woman of the night alone.

“Mrs Kim.” She heaves a sigh of relief. “I hope you liked how everything was prepared.”

“I did. Very surprised. But what surprised me more is that you are part and on top of this. I should’ve had an idea.” She snorts at her naivety inwardly. How come she hadn’t any idea at all that her children are preparing something for her, especially when her son's girlfriend in an event coordinator?

The usual look of the restaurant is completely washed out and is transformed with perfectly executed victorian design along with imported material setup. Even Sera and Jaein is surprised and speechless with how magnificent it looked when they arrived in the venue — the same with Jongin. Although it looked the same way it did with the layout she presented to them, seeing it for real was just breathtaking. It could possibly be the magic Aeiyoung has as event coordinator.

“Thank you, Mrs Kim. Your children really wanted to make it special for you and all I did was do my job.”

“You’ve done a very great job, Aeiyoung. I’m really impressed.” Younji compliments genuinely. “Don’t you think it’s time for you to relax now?”

“I just a few more things to attend to, and, hopefully, I’ll be free then.” She responds politely.

“Well, then, I’ll leave you to it and join us soon, okay?”

Aeiyoung nods and Mrs Kim leaves to talk with her close friends include Sehun’s mother while his husband is with her friend’s husbands, having their own manly talk. Just after she takes her first step to meet with her team, she hears her boyfriend call her.

“Are you going to take long?” Jongin asks. He’s been missing his girlfriend, who’s been busy the entire night and he wants her to take a rest now.

She hums, her boyfriend taking her hand. “An event coordinator’s job don’t really end until the event is over.”

“But, you’ve already done a splendid job. I think it will only be fair to sign off?”

“Ten minutes.” She proffers. Seeing him considering it, she furthers, “I promise it will only take ten minutes.”

“Okay, ten minutes.” He decides but going back on his word when he tugs her back when she takes a step away.

“Jongin…”

He sighs. “Okay.” He looks at her, “Ten minutes.”

“Yes. I’ll be there before you know it.” She assures and then tilts her head fondly, giggling, “You can really be clingy, huh?”

He shakes his head in denial. No, he’s not. He’s never clingy. Okay, maybe, for her, he can be. But he’s not going to say that. Reluctantly, he lets go of her hand and watches her meet her team again.

 

As promised, Aeiyoung comes back and joins her boyfriend who is sitting alone, pretending to be into the conversation the people he’s surrounded with are talking about — whom are the daughters and sons of his mother’s close friends and some are his nieces and nephews as well. He’s just too tired to pay attention and get himself involved. He feels bored too, well really, more like he wants to be with Aeiyoung more than them.

“You okay?” Aeiyoung asks as she fills herself a glass of iced-tea, putting lemon inside.

He bobs his shoulders and leans his head on her shoulder. “Just bored.”

“Bored?” She eyes on him. “Why?” She turns to look at everyone around them and listens a little bit of their conversation. She sips on the glass before saying, “They seem to be talking about something interesting.”

“You took too long.” He grouses tiredly.

Putting the cool beverage down on the table, she cups his face and focuses on his eyes. She came back less than the time they agreed on so it can’t be she took too long. Looking at his jaded eyes, she can’t help but assume, “You had a long, tiring day, didn’t you?”

Jongin not answering is more than an answer to her. She sighs, feeling bad for her boyfriend. Being a chief executive officer, the position he’s in, is no joke nor anything casual or relaxing but it’s really nothing she has control over because it’s his job. It’s what he does even before she came to his life. All she can do now is relieve and lessen the tiredness and exhaustion he’s feeling.

“Rest on me.” She says, putting his head back on her shoulder. “It’ll be over soon. Though, I can’t guarantee my shoulder is comfortable enough.” She warns.

She feels him gesturing no. “It’s comfortable.” He whispers.

She smiles and plays with his hair as she joins into the conversation they are having; making sure not to talk too loud or too much for Jongin to have even just a little bit of rest. Besides, she enjoys listening more than talking.

After a while, she shifts her attention back to Jongin to check on him. Feeling her gaze on him, he looks up and meets her eyes.

She asks worriedly, “Do you think your Mum would mind if we leave early? You need some sleep and proper rest, Jongin.”

“I’m okay.” He says. He checks the time on his watch. “It’ll end soon, anyway.”

“Okay, but do tell me when you feel like going sooner?”

He nods, “Will do.”

Soon, the dinner ends pleasantly. With Jongin, Sera, Jaein, Younji and Jeho formally greeting their guests a goodbye with the oldest daughter trying to tame and compose her youngest sister who is a little tipsy. When all the guests have left, they head out of the restaurant with Aeiyoung doing her professional final talk with the restaurant’s owner and also with the manager. She takes them for being so welcoming and accommodating with their requests and demands.

When she’s done, she walks her way to the Kim family, Jongin claiming her by holding her close — his hand on her waist.

“Really thank you for the unforgettable night, Aeiyoung.” Jaein says, stumbling in her own steps, making the father hold her so she doesn’t fall.

“You’re welcome, Jaein. Please get some rest.” She responds.

“You’re the best!” She winks, raising her hand with a thumbs up.

Sera tames her, chiding Jaein to get a grip. Then, she turns to the couple, giving the lady a grateful nod. “Everything was so successful because of you. I’m really thankful.”

“Thank you. It wasn’t only me. It was the entire team’s work as well.” She says, not wanting to get the credit to herself only as ever.

“Please thank your whole team for me as well. I know who to call and trust now when it comes to big events planning.”

“It’ll be a pleasure to work with you again, if ever, Sera.”

“That’s good to know.” She flicks her eyes to her brother. “You, I know you’re tired but take Aeiyoung home safe, you hear me?”

Jongin rolls his eyes, despite the tiredness. He mutters, “You don’t have to tell me. Of course, I will.”

“Just saying.” Sera states. “Good night, Aeiyoung.” She steps closer to give Aeiyoung a friendly kiss on the cheek. Then, she pats her brother’s shoulder, raising a brow like a strict teacher. “Good night to you too, brother.”

“Good night.” Jongin greets back and saying goodbye to his parents as well.

They all climb inside their cars and drives out to the traffic. When they are gone, the couple face each other. “Ready to rest?”

“Can’t you stay with me for the night?” He asks, leading to a request.

She presses her lips fondly. “You know I can’t. I have an early meeting tomorrow and it’ll be no surprise if you do as well.”

“Then we can just wake up early together.” He points. He insists, hugging her and resting his chin on her shoulder. “Besides, I’m too tired, what if I don’t wake up tomorrow in time for my meeting?”

Okay, that has never happened before but he just wants to be with her for longer and honestly, that’s what Aeiyoung wants as well. Hence, convincing her isn’t much of a work really as she eventually gives in. Pulling out of the embrace, she tells him. “Okay.”

Despite being weary, he beams. She gently brushes his hair, making him feel more sleepy.

“But,” She pauses. “But, we’ll have to drop by at my place so I can get some clothes and all that for tomorrow.”

“I’m fine with that.” It’s nothing if it means he’ll get to be with her over the night.

“Then, let’s go before it gets any later.” She says, pulling him towards his car where his driver is waiting. “Your eyes are about to fall.”


 

The next morning, Aeiyoung wakes up in the first two seconds of her phone alarm ringing. She turns to her side to see Jongin still asleep, so she gently gets off the bed and picks up her bag to wash up.

She looks around to find where the bathroom in his room is. After Aeiyoung washed and took her makeup off when she dropped by at her place, that’s the only time she felt how tired she really was — perhaps, in the same level of Jongin’s. Hence, as soon as they arrived in his place, they quickly fell asleep in his bed so, she didn’t a chance to look and study his place.

Now, that it’s rather bright and she’s awake, she notices that his flat, his room rather, is just as she expected— but more. It’s neat, modern, masculine but sleek and minimalist (a lot similar to his parent’s mansion); elegantly blending between the shades of colours: black, white, and gray. She guarantees that the look of his room matches the overall look of what’s outside of it. It smells really good too and somewhat homey and pleasant; nothing too strong, the kind of scent where it doesn’t give her a headache or neither it chokes her.

She takes the chance and opens a door, hoping it is the bathroom. She breathes in relief when she sees that it is. Before she enters, she looks back at Jongin who is still in slumber. Hopefully, he won’t mind her refreshing up in his shower.

When she finishes with her morning routine, she leaves her hair slightly damp, letting it dry naturally and proceeds to wake her boyfriend up. She bends down on the side of the bed he’s sleeping and she can’t help but admire his features; sleeping like this, he looks so delicate and soft. She wants to stare more but she can’t, not that they both can’t be late for their first early schedule for the day.

“Jongin…” She wakes him up gently, caressing his face, her thumb tenderly rubbing over his cheek. Her face is close to his but she isn’t conscious of it. “It’s time for you to wake up.” She coos. His brows scrunch lightly, clenching his eyes at the soft disturbance. He moans and flutters his eyes open, waking up to an angelic smile face of his girlfriend. Gosh, how he’ll love waking up each of his future mornings with her.

He smiles. “Good morning.” He greets with his husky, deep, drowsy voice.

“Wake up, wake up.” She sings adorably, pulling her boyfriend’s arms to make him sit up. She brushes his hair back affectionately. “Shower up. I’ll make breakfast.”

He opens his eyes wider to look at her scrutinizingly. “You already did?”

She nods. “I did. I used your bathroom.”

“That’s good.” He says. He’s really glad that she’s comfortable with him, enough not to ask permission for things like this.

She pats his thigh, “Come on.”

Jongin yawns and circles his hands around Aeiyoung’s waist, bringing her closer to her. He inhales her scent before resting the side of his face on her stomach. “I like waking up to you.”

She feels her cheeks blush at the confession. “Sweet~” She smiles. “But get going, didn’t you say breakfast is the most important meal of the day?” He looks up at her as she plays with the locks on his hair. “If you keep stalling, it might be too late and we’ll have to skip it.”

He shakes his head. “I’m not stalling. I’m just cherishing the moment.” How good would it be if today is a weekend, a free weekend.

“Get ready. I’ll make some quick bomb breakfast.”

Unwillingly, he lets go and stands up to freshen up like she told him to. When he gets into the shower, she heads out the room.

“Ms Ji.”

Aeiyoung shrieks, feeling her heart stop and holds her breath.. She turns to see a woman, assumingly in her forties, smiling warmly at her. Mikyeong realises she startled her which isn’t her attention at all.

She apologises. “I’m sorry, Miss Ji. I didn’t mean to startle you.” She walks closer to the young lady. “I am Yoo Mikyeong, Mr Kim’s housekeeper.”

“Oh my gosh.” She breathes out. She beams and shakes her hand. “It’s okay. Also, it’s nice to meet you!” It’s about time she meets Jongin’s housekeeper whom she heard a lot of. “I’m Ji Aeiyoung. But you already know that.” She wonders, “Did Jongin…?”

She doesn’t need to finish her question when Mikyeong answers her. “Yes, he did.” She then asks, “Do you need anything?”

“Oh.” Which reminds her, “I was planning to make breakfast for Jongin.” Out of curiosity, she asks, “What does he usually have?”

“He usually eats what I prepare for him. Otherwise, he gives me his personal preferences.”

“I see.”

She gestures towards a direction. “Kitchen is this way.”

“Thank you.”

With Jongin’s housekeeper’s little assistance, Aeiyoung is able to make some breakfast for him to have before they both leave for work. Not wanting to make the guest uncomfortable, Mikyeong took a step back and just gave little assistance or whenever she’s needed. The woman can sense that the young lady wants to make the breakfast herself so she cooperates.

With the table set, Jongin walks in the dining area in his dashing work attire. Aeiyoung wonders how he looks like that with just the simple and usual dress shirt and slacks — except that he isn’t wearing any tie. Regardless, he isn’t supposed to look so dashing like that. She thinks that this is the reason why she can’t blame many ladies who are attracted to him. Because he looks too good and it’s natural she can’t do anything about it.

“You’re looking a little way too good, Mr.” She comments, earning a chuckle. “Breakfast is ready.”

He smiles appreciatively, taking a seat. He knows well this is reality but why does it feel like he’s still inside a such good dream.

“What time is your meeting?” She asks, thanking the housekeeper who serves them their own preferred drinks for the morning (which she mentioned hers while preparing as she asked). She takes the seat across him so she can see him clearly.

“I still have about an hour.”

“That works great, then.” Taking some eggs, she praises, “Stunning place you have here.”

“That I might need to thank my interior designer for it. She did very well.” He says.

“She surely did.” She agrees. “Is this where you lived when you moved out?”

He shakes his head, chewing the food she prepared. “I lived in a condominium for about to two years and then, moved here. Certainly, after everything’s finished.”

She hums, understanding. She can’t really talk because she’s eating too.

Jongin likes it. He likes seeing her eat breakfast, being hundred percent sure she is not missing it. It’s adorable. After looking at her for a while, he asks, “How are you going to get to work?”

She swallows before answering, “Taxi.”

Jongin halts the fork mid way. “What?” He asks again, thinking he might have heard her wrong.

“Taxi.” She answers again. She can’t take her car because it’s still parked in Iveely as they came as a team in van the night before. With Jongin insisting to stay with him, she didn’t say anything about it.

He moves his head side to side in disapproval. “I’ll drop you off work.”

“Uh, I don’t think that would be a very good idea.” She posits.

“I think you taking the taxi is the one that is not a good idea.”

“But from here to J.KEH, Iveely is out of the way.” She reasons. “I don’t want you rushing to work to get on time.”

“I am taking you to Iveely.” He insists.

She exhales in defeat. So far, it’s been a good morning and she doesn’t want to ruin it. “Okay.” She gives in and looks at him, dissipating the tension, she utters, “You and your protective side. I can tell why Jaein thinks of you as an overprotective one.”

He smirks playfully, “We’re just at the tip of it.”

Her face drops, grunting frivolously, “Oh no~”

He an eyebrow. “Surprise, surprise?”

Not really, Aeiyoung thinks. She expected it and she won’t deny she likes it. After all, which girlfriend doesn’t like their boyfriend being protective over them?

After breakfast, they immediately head to the garage where Gyo is waiting. She only has her bag with her as Jongin is adamant to just leave her stuff there since it won’t be the last time she’s coming over anyway.

“Wow, you do love cars, don’t you?” She questions, as row of cars are parked in front of her eyes, consisting of mostly sports cars, three luxurious sedans and two SUVs.

He shrugs his shoulders, lips twitching. “Did I mention I used to car race?” She shakes her head. “Now, you know. One day, I’ll take you for a drive in whichever car you feel like riding. It’ll be a joy ride.” He still hasn’t forgotten about her desire to try many outdoor adventures and he plans to take her in trying them out. She doesn’t need to fear anything because he won’t let anything bad happen to her.

They climb on the SUV, other than the one he usually uses and Gyo drives out the garage.

He entwines his hand around hers and places it on top of his thigh, his thumb tenderly rubbing over her skin. She tilts her head and gives him an affectionate smile. “Can I ask a question?”

“Of course, you can.”

“Are you sure?” She wants to make sure because usually, with the question she’s about to ask, guys don’t really like to talk about it. Jongin can be the same.

The uncertainty in her eyes is making him uneasy but he assures regardless. “Yes, ask me.”

She takes a deep breath. “Your Dad… he told me that…” She pauses. There’s now a crease on his brows, analysing what his Dad told her. “He told me that I was the first girl you introduced to the family.”

He nods. “That is true.” His gaze to her are wary. “Why?”

“Does that mean I’m your first girlfriend?” She asks, both anxious and she can feel her cheeks heat up.

“That’s right.”

She did not expect that answer at all. She can’t believe it. Jongin is an attractive, alluring man. There are many more exquisite and stunning girls out there than her. He could’ve gotten with them in no hassle. So, why is she the first? What makes her so different? Why her?

“How come?” Will he mind answering her?

“I’ve met women before, Aeiyoung. It usually takes me one date or meeting them, whatever is appropriate, to see if it’s worth going any further. But, I didn’t feel what I felt when I met you.”

“It’s not because of your birth mother?” She suddenly asks, throwing him completely dumbfounded. “Your Dad told me about how you and Sera witnessed them breaking apart. Just that. To him, your reaction, how you behaved afterwards about it didn’t seem healthy. Is it because of her that’s why you never took the risk of being a girl’s lover?” Of course, until he met her.

She notices how his face stiffened.

“Do you hate her?” She asks again.

“I don’t want to talk about it.” The gentleness in voice is gone, his gaze darkens. To Aeiyoung, looking at that very reaction, it’s easy to figure the answer. He does. Jongin hates his birth mum.

Respecting his will, she leans back and looks outside the window. Her boyfriend is still holding her hand, but she can barely feel it. Maybe she crossed the line — it wasn’t her intention. What can she do? It’s done now.

Tensed and uncomfortable silence surround them and Jongin doesn’t like it. When he can’t longer bear it, he breathes in all the way to the bottom of his lungs before squeezing her hand and calling her name. It takes her seconds before finally turning to him. Her face dispirited.

“I’m sorry—”

“Don’t be.” She cuts him off. “I understand. We don’t know each other for long, neither we’ve been together for a while. I understand your aversion of not wanting to open up to me.”

“It’s not like that.” He denies. It’s just that, it never happened to him. No one dared to talk about his birth mother but her. And he didn’t know how to react. He didn’t even imagine it.

“No need to explain.” She says monotonously. His heart clenches.

“Aeiyoung, please.” He begs. If it continues this way, he can’t let her leave until they’re okay.

“Jongin…” She returns in the same manner he did but unintentionally sounding more resigned. She looks at the front and realises that they already have arrived. “We’re here.” She says.

Gyo gets off and the door on her side. She’s about to get off, withdrawing her hand from his hold when he grasps onto it tighter. Jongin has no plans of letting her hand or her go. He bends down and looks at the older male. “Gyo shut the door.”

“Jongin.” She calls sharply.

“I’m not letting you go anywhere like this.” He says sternly.

She sighs and bobs her shoulders. “We’re okay.” She says, noticing his afflicted eyes, because they really are. She’s accepted it. “I guess just tell me when you’re ready? I’m ready to listen when you are.”

He just continues to look at her without saying anything.

“Talk to me, Jongin, hm?” She urges, this time in a softer tone. She can’t look at those eyes for longer.

“I hope you know how much you mean to me.” He tells her, his tone serious and sincere.

“We’re getting there, aren’t we?”

He leans over, kissing her forehead before hugging her, snuggling his face on the crook of her neck. “Please be a little patient for me.” He whispers.

She nods her head. “I will be.” She promises. Just like how he was with her.

She cups his face and looks at his orbs tenderly. “We’re okay.” She reassures. “I should be the one apologising if I crossed the line.”

“You didn’t. I just didn’t expect it.”

Still, she says, “Sorry.”

He hugs her again. “You mean so much to me, Aeiyoung. So much.” So much, even he, himself, can’t simply measure.

“You do to me, as well.” She responds wholeheartedly. “But I got to go. We,” she emphasises, “We got to go. Time is moving.”

He nods, finally able to let her go. She opens the door himself but before she gets off, she places her hand over his left cheek and leans over to kiss him on the right side. She gives a comforting and warm smile.



 

Months later, longer than what Sehun initially told his best-friend, he arrives back. Jongin is waiting in his hotel restaurant at the VIP area, on the phone with Aeiyoung, to meet the male. While the lady on the other hand, is just on her way home from Iveely.

“Still waiting for Sehun?” she asks.

“Yeah, he told me he’ll be here in less than five.” He answers so he knows that he will be here in less than five minutes.

“Okay.” He hears her unlock her car. “You enjoy, okay? Are you both going out for a night out?”

“That’s fine with you?” He wonders.

“Of course, it is!” She shuts the car door. “Why wouldn’t it be?”

“I don’t know… But I know usually some girlfriends who aren’t fine with it.”

She chuckles, “Jongin, you’re my boyfriend and you have your own life so live it. I don’t own you.” She tells him. “Just make sure you are on your best behaviour. Besides, it’s been long since you last saw Sehun, right?”

He nods (forgetting that she can’t see him doing that). The last time he saw was at the airport, fishing out some information about Aeiyoung, who is fortunately his girlfriend now. He smiles at the memory.

“Jongin?” She calls when she doesn’t hear him respond. She wonders if he’s still on the line.

He snaps back to reality. “Yes, yes.” He clears his throat. “I didn’t get the chance to visit and see him in Boston.”

“See?” She points out. “So, have fun tonight, yeah? Don’t hold back just because you have a girlfriend.”

“Well, since I met you, I have never went to club or bars; compared how I often used to.”

She frowns in perplexity. “Why not?”

“I don’t have a reason to…” He reasons. “Or that I have a reason not to.” Since he realised the blooming interest he’s felt for Aeiyoung, it came to him that perhaps, now, he doesn’t have to drown himself with liquor to momentarily forget. There is something in her that stopped him and he’s glad he did.

“Perhaps, you can make tonight an exception?” She suggests. “Only if Sehun has plans of it and he wants you to come, which I’m sure he wants. And of course, if you want to come.” She assures, “It’s really no worries for me because I trust you’ll be a good boy and you won’t do anything naughty.”

Aeiyoung is rest-assured that Jongin knows his limits, after all, he’s a responsible man and sometimes, he really needs to have an outlet, not just trapped within his demanding work and her because she is his girlfriend. She now gets what Mina meant about her giving work too much time and attention. But, it’s just really hard to get out of it herself since it’s what she’s been doing since she graduated from University.

“How about you just come along?” He offers.

She shakes her head. “No, you and Sehun spend time with each other along with your other friends. Have fun!” She encourages.

Jongin sighs, giving in. Then, he notices Sehun entering the restaurant, talking to a waiter, looking for him. He lets her know, “Sehun is here.”

“Perfect!” She cheers. “Have fun, yeah?”

“I’ll try.”

“Jongin—” She’s about to reprimand when he interrupts her.

“What are you going to do after this?”

She hums, “I’m heading home now but Mina might have plans. She’s the in-the-moment type of girl so I wouldn’t be surprised if she does have. Otherwise, I’ll be just at home resting. Why?”

“Nothing, just asking. Drive safe, okay?”

“Of course.” She says.

“And, message me if Mina does have plans.”

“Okay.” She ensures. “Oh and please say Hi to Sehun for me.” She doesn’t want to be rude.

“Will do.” He responds.

“Alright. I’ll see you soon.”

“Soon.” He says and by the time Aeiyoung ends the call, Sehun is already taking the seat across him. He puts the phone down, facing his best-friend.

Sehun leans back on the chair. “Aeiyoung?” He asks, earning a nod. “How is she?”

“She’s fine. She also wanted me to say Hi to you from her.”

“That’s nice of her.” He remarks. “Why didn’t you take her to join us?”

“I offered.” He reveals. “But she didn’t want to. She said that it’s better to leave us two ourselves.” He explains. “What happened in Boston? Your three weeks turned to three months.”

“I had to settle things there as much as I can so it’ll be long until the next I come back and it will be quicker too.” Considering Jongin’s girlfriend isn’t here, he considers if he should take it as the best opportunity to talk about it now. Otherwise, he doesn’t know when he’ll get his next chance. By that time, he’s afraid it might be too late. And if he’s going to talk about it with him, he ponders if he should say it now as it is too soon or a little later just before the night ends.

“Well, for one thing, Auntie really missed you a lot. Lucky, there’s your niece.”

He jokes, thankful for his older brother’s daughter. “For once, Mum will stop seeing me still as her little baby boy.”

He chuckles and then a waiter approaches them. He looks at Sehun, “Do you want to order anything?”

“I’m happy with wine, actually.” He admits.

Jongin bobs his head at the waiter, expecting that he should already know what wine they usually get. After all, he’s not new. No newbies serve the elites. The waiter bows and takes the menu to get the wine especially served to VIPs.

They continue to talk about various things, from business topic, social matters and Jongin talking a little bit of his relationship with Aeiyoung. The thing about Sehun is, although he’s a ladies’ man, he’s really never had a serious relationship. But that, that doesn’t mean that he has not love anyone before nor does he not know the meaning of love and what it is like to be in love. He knows the difference between and love and it’s exactly because of that reason that’s why he’s never engaged himself into serious relationship. He knows that love can either make or break people and there are only those few lucky people out of the entire world’s population who would find love that will make and break them at the same time. So until Sehun finds that girl in his life, he decides not to engage himself seriously to anyone. He’s positive he’ll know the very first time he’ll see or meet her.

Looking at Jongin, he trusts that he’s found that girl everyone is seeking for. He’s never seen his best-friend like this, not that he has changed. He’s still his best-friend Jongin, just that, he’s glowing, dreamy, and has matured. He’s now a man with hopes and has the will to live. Aeiyoung is an incredible woman, he thought. He doesn’t know how she did it but above anything, he’s thankful.

Now, Sehun can only just hope that Aeiyoung won’t leave him and that his best-friend will be honest to her so that he wouldn’t give her any reason to leave. He hopes that there will not come a time when he’ll push her away because he wants to keep a part of his past from her. He hopes that Jongin will let the lady love her for all who he is and not just that part he wants to show to her. After all, if Aeiyoung really loves him, she won’t leave him for the immature mistake he did in the past. She will love him for everything that he is, all of him. He can bet that it’s Jongin’s only fear now — her finding out about his unpleasant past.

Now that he’s in the thoughts of it, he decides that this is the opportunity to talk about it. “Jongin.” He calls.

Hearing the change in his tone, Jongin starts to guard himself up. He traces the stem of the wine glass, looking at him warily.

“She doesn’t know anything about it, does she?”

The male’s jaw clenches. Knowing Sehun, of course he’ll bring it up and he doesn’t need to specifically state what it is. He knows because it’s the biggest secret he’s keeping from his girlfriend. “Aeiyoung doesn’t need to know.” He mutters. Then, Sehun says something that completely catches him off guard.

He sighs sharply. “I met her sister in Boston coincidentally. Her family is still blaming you for what happened.”

Well, flash news, Jongin is blaming himself for it, too. It didn’t change at all since that night. “I can’t bring any of it or anyone back. Because if I could, I would’ve done it a long time ago. Then maybe, I won’t be as ed up.”

“I just fear that the time Aeiyoung will find out and it’s not from you.” He confesses. “You know her family and the grudge they have against you. It won’t be a surprise if they try to break you in Aeiyoung’s eyes as soon as they find out what relationship you both share for each other.” He reminds him just in case he forgot, “Remember when they tried to destroy your company and you as the CEO?” He takes his silence and the gaze he's wearing as a yes, “But, fortunately, it didn't spread like fire and they did not succeed. They would do it again, Jongin; whenever there's a chance. Because to them, you do not deserve to be happy.”

His gaze noticeably darkens. “I regret what I did. And I suffered miserably from it.” Sehun knows that. “But it wasn’t just my fault. It wasn’t just all on me.” And that, too.

“So, you’re not going to tell Aeiyoung?” He asks.

Jongin shakes his head vehemently. “No. I’m going to keep it for as long as I can. She doesn’t need to know that about me, Sehun.”

“You do realise that the longer you keep it from her and worse, if she finds out about it from other people, the more she’ll be affected by it, right?” He pauses. “The more she’ll have questions about it.”

He groans. “I can’t tell her.” He sighs heavily. “I’m not ready for what’s going to happen once I do.”

“You can’t it keep it from her forever, Jongin.” He warns. “The less consequences there will be the sooner you tell her. You can’t shock her all about it.”

He doesn’t say anything.

“Give her the chance to understand. Aeiyoung is a smart girl, I’m sure you know that.”

“I know that.” He grumbles.

“Do you not trust she'll understand?” He questions. “At all?”

Jongin doesn’t doubt Aeiyoung. He just doubts himself. To be completely honest, his heart is torn about it. “I’m not ready for it, Sehun.” He repeats himself. “I’m not.” He reasons, “We are just at the start of our relationship. We just have so little time of each other. And whatever we have now, I don’t want to ruin it. We’re just starting to strengthen what we have together.”

“If that is what you want, then I’m going to support you.” Sehun says. “For now.”

He looks at him.

“But I want you to know that I can keep things only for long. I can’t lie for you, Jongin.”

He knows that much. He just hopes that none of it will happen so soon.