Chapter Nine

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Nine

Aeiyoung is sitting by the arrival area at the airport. The estimated arrival time of her parents is in less than ten minutes and she just couldn’t wait to see them again.

Ever since her parents moved in a different city back when she started high school, they try their best to see each other as often as they can. There have been times when it was as long as six months when they weren’t able to see other. But that did not break the bond or lessen the love they always had for each other.

She’s looking down at her phone, reading the email Nara sent her just then, when she hears her father’s voice calling her name. Quickly, she puts her phone back inside her bag and jogs towards her parents who are at the end of the escalator.

She grabs the bag her mother is carrying and gives them a kiss each on the cheek. Her mother then asks her, “How have you been, darling?” She looks at her from head to toe, “You look well.”

Aeiyoung shrugs but an ecstatic smile on her face is clear and surely, Yeona and Jeonho didn’t miss that. However, they choose not to say anything. Perhaps, later. “I’ve been well, that’s why.” The daughter responds.

Yeona looks around and glances at her daughter, “Where’s Mina?”

“Oh, well, she was supposed to come but then last minute, she’s too anxious so she stayed home and said she’s going to surprise the both of you.”

Jeonho chuckles. “That girl is still as mischievous as ever. What would she be anxious about? And what’s the surprise?”

With a broad smile, Aeiyoung nods, completely agreeing with her father. “Well, we’ll just have to see when we get there.” Then, her phone rings and promptly she opens it — thinking it must be work again. She didn’t really want to attend to it but it’s already became her habit over the years. She reads the message she received and gives her parents an excited look, “Let’s go. Mina’s getting impatient.”

Laughing quietly, they all head out of the airport and to the parking area where her car is.

 

Mina, meanwhile, is talking to her boyfriend through a video call.

“Park Chanyeol!” She yells. “Help me, will you? They’re coming soon.”

“Babe, will you please relax and calm down?” For the past five minutes, Chanyeol has been busy assembling his music studio. He doesn’t pay much attention because he’s confident at what his girlfriend has done. It’s just that sometimes, she can overreact at times. But, it’s part of her he loves, part of the many reason why he loves her so much. “You’re doing great and besides, what you cooked is Mum’s recipe. You got it and they’ll love it.”

She turns her head to him, glaring, before dusting her hands off and picks up her phone. “Is the place okay?” She asks, showing her boyfriend the house.

Chanyeol decides to tease. “Is it someone’s birthday?”

“Babe!” She whines.

“I’m kidding! It’s fine.” He assures but then comments again, “Didn’t know you could clean and set up that well. Did you or Aeiyoung do that? I doubt you did, though…” The place is set up too well.

She gives him an angry pout with furrowed eyebrows.

“You’re too cute.” He coos with a grin. He thinks to himself if he could get enough of his girlfriend. “Seriously though, you’ve done more than enough. I don’t think Aeiyoung’s parents would be that fussy…?” He says but it sounded more of a question. He’s unsure because he never got to meet them.

“They’re not.” Mina shakes her head. “But they’re like my parents as well.” She just wants everything to be special.

“Babe.” He calls. “It’s fine. You’ve done extremely well.”

“Really?”

“Yes.” He buoys up. “Are we going to see each other over the weekend?”

Mina didn’t need to think twice. “No! I’ve had enough of you.” Chanyeol completely doubts that. She’s always done this — spending the entire weekend with Aeiyoung’s parents whenever they came over. He’s used to it and he didn’t mind at all. “We’ll see each other Monday, yeah?”

“Yes.” He nods.

“Go see your friends and have some kind of boys’ night out.” Then she reminds, “And, you. You behave, okay? No funny business.”

He rolls his eyes, “When did I ever?”

“Just saying…” She sings. “All right, I’ll end the call. Call you again tonight before you go and see your friends or something.”

“I’ll call you.” He decides. “I love you, Babe.”

She hums, “Love you, too.”

Ten minutes later, she hears a car parking at the garage. She leaps up from the sofa and hurries to the front door. “Oh my gosh!!!” She squeals and runs towards them as they got off the car, giving them a big tight hug.

Aeiyoung shakes her head affectionately as she heads towards the opened trunk. “I can tell you missed us by a ton.” Jeonho comments.

“I did.” She purses her lips in a very daughter-like pout. “You should’ve come over sooner.”

Yeona caresses the shoulder of her second-like daughter. “I’m sorry, sweetie. I’ve been so busy with the school and him, over here,” She gestures towards her husband, “with the cars and his students.”

“Well, you guys are here now.” She grins happily.

Aeiyoung joins in carrying bags with her hands that Jeonho takes upon noticing, “I wonder who’s the daughter here.” She calls, the corner of her lips curved up a little.

“Me.” Mina claims shamelessly. They fall into laughter. “Let’s head inside. I cooked food.” She puts her hands out to her best-friend, “Give me the bag.”

She gives in and turns to lock her car.

They head inside and puts the bags in the guest room, settling at the dining area after. Mina, as usual, is full of unending yet very hilarious stories. Neither of the three are going to complain because they simply love it. Aeiyoung is silently laughing as she eats the food on her plate while her parents are laughing their hearts out.

They eat, chat and decide to watch movies. This is the very cool thing (as quoted by Mina) about Mina’s parents, they both have youthful hearts and not the old-school type, something Mina wished her parents had.

But the thing is, they are already one hour since they decided to watch a movie but up until now, they still haven’t decided what to watch. Aeiyoung didn’t mind at all but it’s Yeona, Jeonho and Mina all wanting different things. The lady shakes her head and heads towards her bedroom.

She checks her phone and sees a message from Jongin.

After Jongin dropped off Aeiyoung at her place yesterday, they parted with light, happy and mollified hearts. They both took the rest of the day with work, the lady going to office, and the male attending his duties as a CEO. But the bright aura their faces glowed with couldn’t be denied. The people around them, especially the ones they work close with noticed but didn’t say anything. It’s nice anyway, why would they pick on it?

Apart from that, the night of that day, they have been exchanging messages casually but not to the extent of staying up late or doing so every second or minute. They aren’t so formal with each other anymore, or more so Aeiyoung was to Jongin. He likes it – very much. The yacht date, if that could be considered as such, crushed almost a big part of their barriers in between.

To: Ji Aeiyoung
From: Kim Jongin
Sent: Saturday, 17:23

“I haven’t heard from you the entire day. Are you okay?”

Oh, that’s right, she talks inside her head.

She and Mina were so busy this morning, she didn’t get to reply to his message and when she had the time, she completely forgot about it and proceeded on checking her work-related emails. It’s hard to get out of the habits once has been doing for the past years.

She reads the message again and can’t help her lips to form a gentle smile.

To: Kim Jongin
From: Ji Aeiyoung
Sent: Saturday, 17:53

“I’m so sorry! Today is so busy. My parents came over. How was your day? Hope it’s well.”

Not even long passes, when she already receives another reply.

To: Ji Aeiyoung
From: Kim Jongin
Sent: Saturday, 17:55

“Your parents came over? Why didn’t you mention it to me? I’d love to meet them. But that’s okay. Have a great time with them.

All is well. I was just a little worried the entire day because you weren’t replying.”

Is worried even the right word? Jongin’s got to admit, he’s been quite irritated the entire day and then, she replied.

To: Kim Jongin
From: Ji Aeiyoung
Sent: Saturday, 17:57

“They’d love to meet you, too. I am positive about that. But, next time. You’ll meet them soon, I promise.

Aren’t you an anxious man? Hahaha, I’m afraid you might get sick of me if you keep this up, Mr CEO.”

Get sick of her? Is that even possible? Jongin thinks.

To: Ji Aeiyoung
From: Kim Jongin
Sent: Saturday, 17:58

“I’ll take your word for it. I’m keen to meet the parents of a lovely woman like you.

I doubt so, Aeiyoung. In fact, I can’t wait to see you again.”

She giggles. Lucky, he isn’t there to see her face blush pink.

“Sweetheart!”

“Aeiyoung!”

She turns toward the door as hears both her mother and Mina calls her simultaneously.

“The movie is starting. Come out, quick!” yells her best-friend.

She turns her gaze back to her phone and quickly replies Jongin a reply before she heads out.

To: Kim Jongin
From: Ji Aeiyoung
Sent: Saturday, 18:01

“Is that so? You know how to sweet talk a girl.

I’ll talk to you more soon. We’re about to see a movie. I hope you’ve eaten dinner. If not, you better. Have some rest, too. It’s Saturday, in case you’ve forgotten.”

She puts her down back on the side table and walks out to the lounge where her father and her best-friend are already settled on their couches.

By the time she sits herself down the sofa, she notices how everyone has already their eyes on the TV, even Yeona who comes in from the kitchen, carrying a tray filled with drinks and fruit bowls for everyone to share. She places it on the centre table before sinking herself in her seat, snuggling into her husband’s side with a square pillow over her lap.

Aeiyoung looks at the screen and figures they chose a romantic-action movie. Of course, they did. She thinks. Romance, because of Yeona and Mina and Action, because of Jeonho. She, on the other hand, isn’t really a big fan of movies. She only gets to see them when Mina takes her. Otherwise, she won’t take any effort to look and see any of it.

“I really don’t like her.” Yeona mumbles.

“Me too.” Mina agrees and adds, “I feel like she’s the spy.”

“I don’t think so. I like her. Besides, it’s too early to conclude.” Jeonho joins in then turns to his daughter, “What about you, Aei?”

She hums before answering, “I don’t… mind her. I agree with you, Dad.”

Smile of victory quickly creeps up her father’s lips while the other two ladies sends betrayed glares. Aeiyoung just shrugs, teasing them just a tad more.

Mina groans, putting her eyes back to the screen. “Trust me, she’s a spy or something like that.”

In return, she bites her lips unsurely, considering the possibility (though she doubts) and focuses her attention back to the movie again.

Scene by scene, the movie is getting more intense and intense with Jeonho living every bit of it, Yeona in dilemma of hiding her eyes at the scene as it’s both a bloody but dramatic scene. Mina is already tearing up on its ten-second mark. Aeiyoung, on the other hand, has her heart crying but loving how the action scenes are executed.

As the movie finishes, rolling up its credits, the only male in the house comments how good the movie, though criticising parts of it.

Meanwhile, the youngest lady is trying to recover from the dam she broke earlier.

“Darling, we’ll just go to the room and organise our things.” Aeiyoung’s mum says.

“Okay, Mum.” She nods, and then towards her Dad. When they are inside, she stands up and fetches another small box of tissues from a cabinet and gives it to her best-friend, “Here you go, in case you need some more of it.”

She sniffs and jabs open the box, pulling two sheets of tissues. “How can an action-slash-romantic movie make someone cry so much?”

Mina earns a quiet chuckle. “That scene was sad. I teared up too.”

“Oh, well.” She stands up, carrying the newly opened box with her. “I’m going to go inside. I still need to call Chan.”

“Yeah,” Aeiyoung nods, “Do that. And leave that,” She bobs her head towards all the crumpled tissues. “I’ll put them in the bin for you.”

“They’re disgusting.” She warns, as if it’s going to change the other’s mind.

Speaking of which, the lady snorts and rolls her eyes, “Do I look like I care?”

Mina sniffs again before answering, “No…”

Chuckling, she tells her, “Go inside now.”

“Love you.” Her best-friend whispers.

“Love you more.”

Being everyone in their rooms, Aeiyoung efficiently cleans up everything they used from the lounge, dining area and kitchen. When she’s finished, she heads towards her parent’s room, finding them almost finished with her mother about to walk out.

“I was just about to help you.” She tells her.

“No, it’s okay. It’s all done.”

Yeona can only give a helpless smile. She watches her daughter sit at the edge of the bed.

“You guys are okay here?”

“We are, most definitely.” Jeonho answers, giving his daughter a weird look for the strange question. This isn’t the first time they’ve been here, so why would she ask that.

Aeiyoung’s mother places a hand over her father and they share glances. They know it’s time to talk.

“Are you okay, my daughter?” She asks. Aeiyoung doesn’t say anything. She caresses her daughter’s head. “Before we came here, I was worried about how you were doing since that phone call you had with your Dad.”

Jeonho, who’s standing where he was all this while, receives a glance.

“He told me.” Yeona smiles but it’s not glee. It’s a smile of a concerned mother. “I got him too. He didn’t have much choice.” Then she reaches out to hold her hand. “But when I saw you earlier at the airport, you were glowing. You looked happy, relaxed, somewhat carefree. I don’t remember the last time I saw you like that, Aei. Not even when you graduated as the top student in University. What happened?”

For the past week, Aeiyoung has been weighing her choices of telling her parents about Jongin or not.

Who is Jongin to Ji Aeiyoung? She doesn’t know for sure. She’s comfortable around him. It isn’t the kind of comfort she feels whenever she’s around with Mina but neither it is the kind of casual comfort she feels towards Chanyeol, whom she’s known for the past three years.

She’s got to admit she still feels intimidated around Jongin. Yet, along with that, there is this comfort she can’t categorise. The comfort where, she can’t tell him to cut it off and quit making efforts he’d do for her like how she did with a couple of boys who have asked her out, particularly Kangjun — whom she never gave a chance, even a tad.

She feels a kind of familiarity she can’t define — the same way how she feels secured whenever he’s around. Maybe that’s the reason why she finds it difficult to say ‘No’ to him; why she finds herself in a position where she’s stepping at a stage she never imagined or envisioned to be in since her last. She forgot about it a long time ago. But look where she’s in now.

And though she likes it, the anguish of yesterday continues to govern over her. She hates it but she can’t help it. She wants to be free but at the same time, the thought of it scares her. She doesn’t know how to be free; she doesn’t know what it’s like to be free — from pain and agony. Ever since, uncertainty never missed to frighten her.

“I…” Aeiyoung swallows nervously. “…met someone.”

Jeonho drags a chair in front of his wife and daughter and, takes his seat.

“Who is this someone?” Yeona asks, far from demanding.

“His name is Kim Jongin.” She pauses. “I met him in a club, the one that Mina’s cousin owns and he happens to be his best-friend.” She glances at her parent’s eyes. They are listening. “He’s a nice a guy, exceptional even…” She continues to talk about him as her gaze falls; from the point of how she perceives his personality, to being a thoughtful son, and a protective brother — all the way to telling them the shell part of their encounters and his efforts to reach out.

"Does this boy like you?” The father asks upon her finishing, although he might already know the answer. He just wants to hear words of confirmation.

Aeiyoung turns to her father, “He told me he does.”

“And how do you feel?” It’s her mother’s turn to ask.

“Scared.”

“Dear,” Yeona squeezes her daughter’s hand tighter. “it’s okay to be scared. Don’t feel wrong in feeling so.”

“But Mum—”

“Listen to me, sweetheart,” She looks deep in her eyes. “Being scared is natural considering everything you’ve experienced. At least, you know it yourself. You’re not denying it. It’s step three.” She takes a second to stop before continuing, “You can’t rush things, Aeiyoung. You know this yourself. Did you tell him? Were you honest to him?” The daughter nods.

“What did he say?” Jeonho asks.

“He told me to take all the time I need and that he’s willing to wait.

“Then, he will.” He says. “If not, then it’s for you to know that both of you aren’t for each other. Aeiyoung, my dear, I can tell in your eyes that you like him too. But like what your mother said, you cannot rush things. You cannot jump and do things that you’re not ready for. Because then you won’t be only hurting yourself but him, as well. By the looks of things, I don’t think he deserves that, neither do you. What I’m saying is, just do what your heart says. I know it’s cliché but it’s what you got to do. Take things slow, Aeiyoung. If he really likes you and you like him enough, then it’ll both lead you to the right places. May it be to each other or not…”

“At this point, just take the time to get to know each other, and when this is ready…” Yeona gently taps over Aeiyoung’s heart, “let it be. Don’t stop your heart from loving. I don’t want you to turn into a woman whose heart is too numb, too suppressed, and too frozen to feel.”

“But what if that takes too long? I don’t want him to wait long for nothing.”

“So, you’d rather hurt him and yourself for taking the risk you’re not ready to take?”

The lady’s head lowers, “No.”

“Your heart knows what it feels, sweetheart. I’d like to believe that if this” she taps her temple, “is too messy and too busy to think, then your heart certainly wants one thing. Follow that and don’t confuse them.”

“Don’t overthink, Aeiyoung.” Her father advises. “I know it’s your habit but lower it down, if you can. Your mother and I will always be here for you.”

They stay silent for a while, the parents wanting their child to think herself. Then, when it’s long enough, Jeonho puts his hand together and stands up.

“So, how does my daughter like to play some board game with a cup of ice cream?” He asks, with eyebrows raised, hopeful.

Aeiyoung breaks into a timid laugh, “Okay, I’d like that.”

Yeona stands up and slips her bedroom slippers properly, “Then, I’ll go get the ice creams and you and your father set up.”

“No worries, my dear wife.”

Their daughter smiles fondly at their healthy relationship. Something she hopes to have in the future. If fate would may.

 

Next day, they spend the whole Sunday going around and about with the mother buying ever thing she thinks they need. It’s been a little tradition since Aeiyoung and Mina started living together and they would come over — Mrs Ji Yeona getting them all stocked up, like a mother she is, before she leaves back to where they live.

They spend the rest of the day doing everything they can and goes back home several hours before their flight back to their city. Aeiyoung and Mina insists on getting them to have some rest but when do parents ever listen?

They pack up, leaving the guest room squeaky clean, with her mother endless reminders as though they are teenagers being left alone. Mina volunteers to drive them to the airport and they go back home when the couple have boarded in the plane. Both are dead asleep as soon as they arrived back to their place.

Meanwhile, while on the plane, settled in, Yeona opens up a topic for her and her husband to discuss.

“Aren’t you worried for our daughter?” She asks him.

Jeonho looks at his wife with a gloomy expression. “Of course, I am. She’s our only child, our only princess.”

“I just didn’t expect that what happened in her childhood would remain in her for this long. I thought she’s over it.”

“What she experienced isn’t something that can be forgotten after over a decade. And until this date, I hate myself for not finding her any sooner. If only I did, then maybe she wouldn’t have experienced all of that. Perhaps, she wouldn’t have scars to carry with her for the rest of her life.” He tells her, trying to keep his voice down as low as possible. “I’m just really thankful that after everything she’s been through, you were there and gave her all the love you could give. Thank you for loving and caring for her like your own.

Yeona scowls, though worry is still apparent in her eyes. “Aeiyoung is my child.” She turns away briefly, “But what if it’s more than that? What if something happened to her while we were away from our daughter?”

The male furrows his brow. “What could be more than that?”

She sighs defeatedly. “I don’t know. Something that triggered her fear to love; to be in a relationship?”

“Aeiyoung hasn’t had a boyfriend before.”

“Exactly.” She mutters.

He holds his wife’s hand. “What are you trying to say? Don’t you think it’s just about what happened to her and her birthmother? That’s why she’s so scared?”

“I just fear the fact that maybe something happened to our daughter and we don’t even have a clue about it.” She frets. “Did you see the overflowing fear that was in her eyes last night? It seems more than just that trauma.”

Jeonho won’t deny that he also noticed it but last night, his priority was to soothe, calm and wash her daughter’s fears and worries away. But he didn’t want to believe Yeona’s agitation and perturbation. Because if really something happened to his daughter without him knowing, then what kind of a father is he? Aeiyoung has gone so much pain and distress at very young age and he couldn’t imagine if something more happened to her. His princess didn’t deserve any of it. None of it.

 

Monday, at half past eight in the evening, Aeiyoung shuts her laptop off and packs her bag, done for the day. She walks out of the building and drives back home.

She stands at their garage standing by her car, when her phone rings. She fishes her phone out of her bag to answer the call.

“Ooh, so good you called— I mean, answered!”

She frowns momentarily before realising that the person on the other line is drunk. “Kangjun, are you drunk?”

Clucking his tongue and then lousily and sleepily chuckling after, he says, “No, I’m not.” He hiccups. “What makes you think that?”

Now, that answer is more than enough for her to confirm that he is indeed drunk. The lady wonders how much have he been drinking and at this hour too? She just took overtime at work, finalising and polishing majority of the details at the upcoming wedding expo, ready to be presented to the client first thing next morning. She arrives home, thinking she can finally get some rest, only to realise that her night is still long.

“Kangjun, where are you?” she asks worriedly. Despite, being upset at his persistence of pursuing her, she still considers the male as his friend. And the meaning of friend to her, isn’t something she can take so lightly.

“Huh?” He mumbles random syllables. “Oh, I’m in a baarrrr.” He responds, barely can be understood but she catches it. Then he laughs again, “But you won’t know where it is! Tooo bad!”

She ignores his last sentence and asks, “Yeah, which bar?” Then, she hears someone talking to him, but she couldn’t catch what he’s saying. “Kangjun!”

“Oh, you’re talking to someone. Your girlfriend?” A male, his friend perhaps, or maybe someone he just met at that bar, teases. It makes the lady cringe.

Kangjun chuckles lowly, “I want her to be but she doesn’t seem to like me. I think he thinks too low of me.”

“Seo Kangjun!” She yells with hopes that the male will get a grip. He’s totally out of it. “Tell me, where are you? I’m going to pick you up!”

“Oh,” He gulps, surprised despite his drunken behaviour. “you’re going to pick me up? You’re going to come and get me?” He laughs. “Score on that girl!” She hears in between as her friend continues, “Isn’t that sweet of you? See, I should’ve done this a long time ago.” She hears glasses clanking. “If I knew—” He gets cut off. Aeiyoung panics. He must've dropped the phone. Then she calms down when she hears a sober voice of a woman.

“Yes, hello.” She greets. Aeiyoung hasn’t really got time for pleasantries, at the moment. She just wants to know where he is. “I am a bartender.”

She finds herself breathing in slight relief. At least, she’s has someone she can really talk to. “And My name is Aeiyoung. I am his friend—close friend. Please tell me the name of the bar. I’m coming to get him.” Calmly, the kind bartender relays the name of the bar. “Thank you and please don’t serve him anymore. Fifteen. I’ll be there in fifteen minutes.”

Hanging up the call, Aeiyoung tries to contact her best-friend but her phone only keeps ringing, driving her into further frustration. At the second time she hears her voicemail, it’s only then she remembers that she told her this morning that she’ll staying back at work and staying over at Chanyeol’s place.

Left with no choice, she sighs sharply before unlocking her car, hopping in. She reverses out and drives to the bar.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

Yes, Aeiyoung's parents don't know anything about her first love/boyfriend. Also, I am a (few) chapter(s) ahead and this whole thing Kangjun getting drunk is getting to something. You might hate the OC. I don't know. I'm not sure yet. Though,  I already have written it but I might change my mind over the days. Whoops.

Also, haha, I watched JYP Party People and omg, it's life. Haha. And here's Jongin "officially" doing the Ko Ko Bop challenge. Because what's better than EXO's main dancer doing the Ko Ko Bop challenge of their very own song?

See you next in the next chapter guys.