Chapter Twenty Three

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Twenty Three

Just as she expected and was told, she sees Gyo waiting by the roadside, before the building of Iveely. Upon reaching there, the man gives a polite bow, greeting her. She nods her head, being with Gyo, seeing him around often, it will be strange if she’d say that she feels awkward around him. She can see the reason why Jongin is treating him closely.

“Mr Kim’s mother is coming over and I’ve been advised to take you in his residence.”

“Who advised you?” She asks because she has no idea.

“Reya was informed by Mr Kim in the middle of his meeting.” He explains. “I think it was only then when Mrs Kim told his son.”

“Is he still there?”

“I believe so, Ms Ji.”

She nods. “Okay, let’s go then. Do you know what time she’s coming?”

“She’s on her way.” He responds politely.

Without any other word, she gets in the car to Jongin’s place. Although his housekeeper will be there, she still wants to do something. It’s not often when Younji or his father comes over, anyway. More often, it’s Jaein who hangs out and even stays over. But the thought is funny because Jongin is starting to get annoyed as she continues to bug him. The youngest sister on the other is just too much in bliss that her brother has started to lay low on his protectiveness over her.

As soon as Aeiyoung arrives, she sees Mikyeong by the kitchen, the entire place squeaky clean. She takes off her heels and puts on the spare house slippers to help out the older lady before her boyfriend’s mother comes. With the combined efforts of the housekeeper and the girlfriend, everything gets finished faster.

Half an hour later, Younji comes in with Gyo and beams as soon as she sees her son’s lovely girlfriend welcoming her.

“Darling.” She calls and the young lady hurriedly walks towards her, giving each other a hug. “It’s so good to see you again. I clearly told Jongin to bring you more often but boy doesn’t listen.”

She giggles. “Both of us were busy, Mrs Kim. But, we’ll definitely come and see you and Mr Kim more often.”

“Mr and Mrs Kim? Do you still call us with such formality?”

She bites her bottom lips and nods her head.

“Don’t you think calling me Auntie will be more appropriate now?” She suggests and smiles, hinting, “You might even be calling me Mother in the future, don’t you think so?”

Aeiyoung chuckles shyly, “Please don’t joke like that.”

“Auntie, yes?”

“Okay, Auntie.” She gives in.

Happy with that, she says, “Anyway, I’m glad there’s you now whenever my stubborn son overworks. Speaking of which,” She looks around. “Where is he?”

“I think he’s still stuck in a meeting.” She answers, feeling sorry. Younji came for her son yet he’s not here. She really hopes he’ll come home soon, surely his mother misses him a lot. She’s about to say words to comfort her and when Mikyeong politely interrupts with a phone on her hand.

Both ladies turn to the housekeeper and holds out the phone to Aeiyoung. Receiving an enquiring look, she informs, “It’s Mr Kim. He’d like to speak to you.”

She nods her head and takes the phone. Placing the phone over her ear, she smiles gently towards Younji. “Jongin.”

“Hey.” He greets tiredly. He sounds so exhausted.

“Hey, you okay?” She asks. Both her and his Mum are now wearing worried look on their faces.

“Just really tired.” He utters. She can clearly tell that. “You weren’t answering your phone.” That’s right. She remembers that it’s inside her bag and hasn’t touched it since as she was preoccupied preparing for his Mum’s arrival. “Is Mum already there?”

She eyes on Younji, who gets an impression that they are talking about her, before answering, “Yes, she’s here. She arrived already.” Hearing him hum, she returns a question. “Are you still in a meeting?”

“Yeah.” He sighs. “We still have more to discuss. I’m sorry I’m coming late.”

“I don’t think you should be saying sorry to me.” She states. “It’s not me who came to see you.”

Barely keeping his eyes opened, he says, “Can you give the phone to Mum?”

“Of course!” She gives the phone to the older woman and when she takes it, she takes her leave to have them talk in private. She doesn’t want to intrude their own privacy.

She goes back to the kitchen where Mikyeong is staying, doing her duties. She voluntarily helps out, to kill time since she never liked the feeling of idling around. After about less than five minutes, Younji comes into the kitchen, holding out the device to her son’s girlfriend.

“Yes?” She greets upon taking it.

“I’ll be there soon.” He assures. “Start dinner without me, okay?”

“What about you?”

“I’m fine. Dinners are served here.” He says.

Her shoulders fall but it can’t be helped. She remains silent, not really knowing what to say.

“I have to get back.” He breaks. “I love you.”

“Love you too. I’ll see you.”

With the call ending, she places it back on where it was, not giving it to the housekeeper when she can. She walks to the dining table and gives an apologetic look to Younji.

“I’m sorry, Auntie.”

The woman shakes her head. “No, that’s fine. Don’t worry about it. At least, I get to talk to you and spend the time with just ourselves.” The reason she came is because she wants to see his son’s face again but who would’ve thought there is something better? Even though her son isn’t here, for her, this instantly becomes an opportunity to get to know his girlfriend more. “Let’s eat.” She invites. “Jongin left a word asking me to make sure you eat dinner.”

She smiles though a little tightly. Jongin’s mother is so understanding, she thought. They both take a seat and begins on dinner. At first it’s quiet but Aeiyoung realises that Younji is a talker, much of what she isn’t. She feels relieved that she isn’t taking what happened on its negative side as she is sure that if she is in her shoes, she’d be disappointed.

After dinner, they are sitting standing by the lounge, looking out to the night view. Younji is holding a glass of wine as they chat more about their own families. Then, ultimately, the topic drops to Jongin.

“He’s suffered so much…” She says quietly.

Younji looks at her in surprise and perplexity. “He’s told you?”

She nods her head. “We’re going to see his child on its first year.”

“Oh my gosh.” She gasps. “That’s great.” Then, she tells her story of it, “You know Jongin didn’t take it properly. As a matter of fact, he hated the woman and the child but I’m glad to know of it to prevent him from doing anything he’d regret more. It still his child after all. His innocent child.

“Jongin may seem to look mature and rational but that often comes when he is acting as the CEO of the company he established himself. It broke my heart to see how much pain he had in his heart for his birth mother and how he decided to handle it. It raged me. But at the end of the day, he’s still my son and the best I could do at that situation was to make sure I guide him to the right path and I’m glad he took it. It wasn’t instant but it was sure. Just so happened that things had to turn out that way.

“Just at a time when he’s starting to accept, such incident has to happen. My poor boy.” She shakes her head and Aeiyoung just has to place her hand over hers for strength; like what Jongin does to her whenever she’s in or close to that state. “I saw how he tried to guard and toughen up but deep inside, I know how hard it must be for him. I wanted to help. Sehun and I in fact, but it was just too hard. He liked doing things alone so the only way to find our way around it was to act in accordance to how he wishes— as though everything is good.”

She turns to look at the young lady gratefully. “And then honey, you came. I’m glad you did. Thank you.”

Aeiyoung moves her head side to side. She hasn’t really done anything in specific for her boyfriend’s mother to be thankful of. Truth to be told, she’s still isn’t clear what Jongin found in her. She is just her, her natural self.

Younji feels like words are never enough to express how she is so grateful and indebted of this young lady to her side. If not for her, she is sure that Jongin is still punishing himself, thinking he is undeserving of anyone’s love and that he hasn’t got the right to love. But she witnessed how his son slowly broke away from these thoughts, doing things against the verdict he put in himself.

“I see you two ladies are having a good time.” A voice from behind breaks their silence.

The two turns to the figure, seeing Jongin standing there, his blazer hanging over his arm with his black briefcase. He’s smiling, though with tired eyes, it’s also happy. His two queens are sharing their time cordially. What’s a better sight to see than that after a long, and incredibly exhausting day.

He strides to walk and join them, giving his mother a loving kiss on the cheek as Aeiyoung takes his stuff. She places them on the sofa, coming back to receive a tight embrace around her waist, his lips pecking hers. She hugs him back, feeling how tiring his day has been.

“Now, you two are making me miss my husband.” Younji mutters fondly with a wide grin on her face.

Jongin turns, keeping his girl close. “Yeah, where’s Dad?”

“He left for Singapore yesterday and he’ll be back tomorrow.”

He nods. “Who’s with you now?”

“Jaein.” She answers proudly. “She’s my acting husband while Jeho’s gone.”

They both chuckle hearing that because it really sounds like Jaein, she’s always been a playful, gorgeous sunshine to everyone. They all decide to sit down on the sofa, continuing to talk but seeing how jaded her son is, she doesn’t intend to stay late so he can have his rest. An hour later, she tells them that she’ll take a leave. Jongin offers for her to stay but she declines as Sera will be over first thing the next morning. Understanding that, he doesn’t insist and walks her out with his girlfriend.

When Younji leaves safely, they walk back in and instantly Jongin head falls and his body leans lazily on Aeiyoung. She smiles and brushes his hair, only making him feel more sleepy.

“Change before you sleep, Jongin.” She talks softly. “Your clothes aren’t exactly comfortable to sleep with.”

The male tries his best to stand straight, walking inside his bedroom while he is being dragged by her. She goes to his wardrobe and takes a white shirt and sweatpants for him to wear, making sure he is ready for bed and he’ll get a good night sleep.

“You’re going to sleep here, aren’t you?” He asks drowsily.

She smirks over his shoulder, as she slips off his dress shirt. “Unless you don’t want me to.”

He looks at her, “Of course, I do.” He sleeps better when she’s around.

She caresses his face with the pad of her thumbs, cupping it. “Then, I’m sleeping here.” She gives him his track pants, “Here, wear it. I’ll go change too.” She walks to the bathroom and changes, grabbing the spare clothes she left as she is coming over more often than before. (To which Mina honestly didn’t mind because, it means it’s her and Chanyeol alone.)

Finished, she sees Jongin still sitting up. He should be laying down and comfortable. “Why aren’t you sleeping yet?”

“Waiting for you.” He answers.

Aeiyoung crawls on the other side of the bed, towards the middle and invites her man to lay down. He cuddles her close almost over his chest, under the duvet, his lips resting on her forehead, eyes slowly falling asleep. She snuggles herself and shortly after him, she falls asleep, feeling warm on a cool night.

 

 

Weekend comes and they are on their way where his late princess’ is buried. Despite not being born to the world, Jongin made sure that there is a proper place where he can have his daughter rest and lay in peace; her own little castle. An official place where he can visit her from time to time, just like in times like this. It’s been a year since he lost her daughter and it’s hasn’t gotten any easier for him but, he’s coping better. At least, he got to be a father in his heart— the most and best he could be at the time.

Arriving at the private and exclusive little, modern mausoleum, they find Sehun standing there. The taller male turns as he hears a car approaching. He smiles to see that Jongin is there and with Aeiyoung.

The two male greet each other with a brotherly hug while Sehun gives a friendly kiss to the lady in the cheek.

“Beating the father to it.” Jongin mutters but not seriously.

He chuckles, “I didn’t want to interrupt by coming later. Didn’t think you’d come early.” Thinking about it though, he can assume that Aeiyoung can be possibly the reason why the father came early. He smiles at the thought; then as he turns back to the gravestone where her name is inscribed, he says, “She could’ve been my another little niece. I could’ve been a godfather to her.”

A year has passed and Sehun still feels upset that the child had to die with Seomi. If only the little one hung on, maybe things will be better especially now that her father is with a good woman.

“I haven’t thanked you properly for treating them right when I couldn’t, when I was too of a coward to face reality.”

“She was a friend to me.” He pauses, “But at the time, I thought it was the best I could do for you as your best-friend, as your brother.” Because being a devil for either of them wasn’t an option to Sehun at all.

The news shocked him too, especially when Seomi broke out the news to him first after not seeing her for three months. He didn’t know how exactly Jongin will react then but he was sure that it would shock him like it did to him. So when he saw how irrational his best-friend became towards her, he knew he had to be the opposite for a while. He's the one who thought better of the situation, making ways to make it better not just for her but for him as well. He decided to be the brother to Jongin like he always have been since they were nine year olds.

Sehun understood Seomi faster and way longer before Jongin did. It could be for the reason that he wasn’t the father himself, anyway. That’s why it was easier for him to accept the reality. Though if he was asked, he couldn’t blame his best-friend for the reaction he had. He knew his best-friend inside and out and he understood him more than anyone and the reason why his reaction was like that.

What relieved him was, at the end of the day, Jongin didn’t shut Seomi out. He gave himself the opportunity to understand her but sometimes, things would turn at the worst timing and Jongin wasn’t exempted from it.

 

Sehun and Aeiyoung are alone, few metres away to give time for Jongin to be with his daughter. They haven’t seen each other since the night when everything was revealed to her but he heard from his best-friend that he told her everything to which was a relief to him.

“You knew all along and didn’t even tell me.” Aeiyoung mutters rather playfully.

He smiles guiltily. “I wasn’t really in the position to. Besides, it’s better you got to know about it from him personally, right?”

She nods appreciatively, agreeing to what he said.

“You didn’t get mad, upset or anything?” He asks curiously.

“I did. I was so mad and upset but not for the fact that he was like that, it wasn’t like I knew him then anyway. He wasn’t in any commitment with me. But I was mad for the fact that he decided to keep me in the dark like he doubted I’d understand.” She pauses, “But that is absolutely nothing compared to what Jongin had to go through. I knew my anger wasn’t what he or the situation needed. Because sometimes, there is something more about the things we did and do and I chose to believe that it was the same for Jongin.”

At that moment, Sehun realises how lucky Jongin is to have a woman like Aeiyoung. A lot of people are judged by their past and they will continue to be judged just simply because that’s who they were. It’s unfair but it is the reality. All of that which the lady next to him isn’t. He would actually understand if she chose to be away from his best-friend to have some time to think; because to him, it’s what people will mostly do. It’s the norm but she didn’t. It’s a quality of Aeiyoung that sets her apart from everyone.

“And thank you for being so loyal to Jongin, thank you for being there with him through the nearing two decades, in two years, you both have been best-friends.” Aeiyoung speaks up again, wanting to express that she is also grateful that there is someone like him in her boyfriend’s life. Not everyone finds that one and true friend, after all.

“He’s my brother.” Sehun states. “He’s done so much for me and he was there whenever my family wasn’t. And truth to be told,” He pauses, “I want to be the good and better friend to him more than I want to be that good son to my parents. He’s that important to me.”

Aeiyoung smiles. The friendship between the two males is just so strong, it’s almost unbreakable. Or maybe, it already is.

 

It isn’t long after when Sehun decides to take his leave as he has an appointment to attend. Not wanting to disrupt the father’s time with his daughter, he asks the lady to tell Jongin about it to which she willingly complies.

As he drives off, she turns to Jongin who is still in front of his daughter’s grave, sitting on his heels as his hands are over at the gravestone.

He doesn’t notice her coming until she stands a step away next to him. She smiles and he turns back, searching for the other figure. That’s when she informs, “Sehun already left. He has an engagement in about an hour. You okay?”

“I’m fine.” He answers softly. “Better.”

Aeiyoung bends down, joining her man. He kisses her hair, his arms wrapped around her middle. “You would’ve made a good father, you know?”

He looks at her impassively, not really knowing whether to agree or not to what she said.

She leans her head back and tilts her head, “I’m serious.”

“I know you are…” He hesitates, “Just that…”

“You don’t agree with me?” She realises that Jongin has pulled her to his lap, her arms around his neck, eyes at him carefully.

“I’m just not sure what kind of a father I’ll be. Especially at that time because I’m not ready. I’m not ready for any of it — to have a family of my own, to be a husband to my wife, to be a father of my child. It was out of the boundaries I had for myself.” He pauses, “What kind of life would I have for my child? I can have them live the most luxurious life but I can’t promise I can be that good father to them. That’s how my mother was like. He married Dad when she wasn't even willing to let go of the life she had before that. While Dad, he was providing us most of everything— a lot more than what she couldn’t give. He was pouring us with the maternal care and love we were missing. While her, she never loved us, not even a little bit. She didn’t care at all. It’s like, no,” He breathes sharply, stating, “she hated us. She was so harsh and cruel on us, especially to Sera. I witnessed all of it. That’s why I resent her a lot. And I’m scared I’d be that kind of parent to my children.”

Jongin realises that maybe, that’s why his princess-to-be didn’t make it to the world, because they know he’d be that when she lives.

Aeiyoung purses her lips, not knowing what to say. But she is disagreeing with him because to her, in her heart, it remains the same, she still believes that Jongin will be a good father because he has learnt how to love and how to courageously face it. He knew what it was like to experience that and she’s sure that he’s mature enough that he won’t let his children experience the same. Jongin’s mother is different from Jongin— this, she firmly believes.

Placing her hand over the back of his neck, she leans in to press her lips over his lids. With the tips of their noses touching, she says tenderly, “To me, I know you would’ve been a good father and you will be.”

Jongin closes his eyes embracing her words, her tone and her voice that sounds nothing like heavy expectations that he will feel pressured with. To him, it felt an indication of hope where he feels that maybe, such thought isn’t so impossible. How does Aeiyoung have so much faith on him when he doesn’t?

They remain wordless for a while until he utters sincerely, “Thank you for coming with me.”

“You’re very much welcome, my Jongin.” With wary eyes, she asks a question that has been staying in her mind for a while. “Jongin, did you ever get to know why your birth Mum was like that?”

Jongin widens his eyes and his countenance hardens, though he’s seen it coming, hearing it still surprised him. He’s shared nothing about his birth mother to anyone and talking about her, he’s unsure of what he feels.

The lady presses her lips into a hard line. After what she’s heard from him and his step mother and the stories before his father remarried, it made her wonder how can a mother be like that? Her memories with her birth mother aren’t all good, given their experiences with her step-father then, before Jeonho got her in his custody, but she’s sure that her mother loved her, in possibly the best way she could at that time. She’s just finding a difficult time putting the pieces together? How and why exactly Jongin’s birth mother is like that? She can’t understand.

After what feels like a long silence, with Aeiyoung looking at her with earnest and patient eyes, Jongin breathes out to a heavy sigh. “I don’t know but what I do is that my Mum… she was a liberated, free, rebellious heiress. She was free to do everything, whatever she wanted. But at the same time, she was a woman who had no dreams, or any ambitions. She just wanted to do everything without feeling constricted. And I suppose, that freedom was something she didn’t had when she had us. She realised that having us, wasn’t the life she was willing to live and take responsibility of. Having a family, us as her children, wasn’t the life she wanted. She hated it. She hated us.”

Apart from the painful and unpleasant memories he can recall of his birth mother, Jongin doesn’t know anything else about her. When she left their old mansion, little Jongin, at the age of six, was smart enough to know that his parents won’t be together anymore. But, unlike how devastated his father was, his mother was the complete opposite— a full hundred eighty degree turn. He won’t forget how jubilant his mother looked as she walked out the door and out of their lives.

With that, he didn’t dare to talk or even mention a sound or syllable that regards his mother. His confused little mind didn’t bother to ask questions. He just quietly stood aside as both his sister and father continued on with their life. He didn’t bother to know anything until he finally had a power of his own. It was then when he found out who his mother was before she married Jeho— and ultimately, what she was and the life she had.

Jongin knows how hard his father tried to keep the family together. He can’t help but think maybe that’s why there is him because his father succeeded in trying to keep their marriage and the family complete. And sometimes, there were things that wasn’t just meant to be, no matter how one tried so hard.

The memory is twenty one years ago, but Jongin won’t ever forget that night of his sister’s birthday. When they were supposed to be enjoying dinner, Sera and his father were inside the her bedroom. The young girl was sitting on the edge of king sized bed while the father was squatting down on his heels, holding both of her hands. With the door ajar, he curiously peeked inside, not making any sound. He saw how sad Sera’s eyes were while his father’s was apologetic. Everything was as dark as heavy as their hearts were.

With everything else is quiet, little Jongin could hear what they were saying even if they were talking in their quiet voices. Jeho, once again, was apologising that her mother won’t make it to dinner, making excuses to validate her absence on a very special day. Sera, shook her head, not wanting her father to apologise for his wife who never cared. She’s used to it. They both were, actually, her and Jongin. They never saw their mother on their birthday, none that they could remember.

It was then when weary Jeho stood up and hugged his daughter. That scene made Jongin feel that the situation they were in then, was nothing his father dreamed of. The young boy could tell it was nothing like that. Why else would his father be tearing up? Why would he look so abject and broken? Jongin felt how sorry Jeho was for the miserable life they were living.

As the father and daughter part, the little son heard his sister say that it was okay for Jeho to give up, that he doesn’t have to try for both her and Jongin; that she and her younger brother will be okay even if their family isn’t complete anymore and she thanked him for trying so hard to keep their family together. Perhaps at that, Jongin thought, Sera wanted to stop their father’s suffering. She didn’t want to see her father in pain and so broken anymore. He was married to their mother but Jeho was busy filling up her shortcomings. He tried his very best, but like everyone, he had his limit too. Watching that, Jongin felt his sister wanted their father to stop being sorry every time his wife won’t be there to be a mother to them, to stop desperately begging.

“I was only four years old then, but I was already conscious of how different my family was compared to others and how different our mother was. While everyone was being cared and loved, Sera and I had one that neglected and abandoned us. We were her kids but she was acting so much like how a free bachelorette would. Maybe, she was even better than the real, actual ones.”

Twenty seven years into his life, Jongin is still certain that their birth Mum didn’t love them at all.

“To her, we were the hindrance from the life and world she wanted to live for the rest of her life. That’s what she made us feel then. She was so harsh and cruel, to us who are her children.”

He looks at Aeiyoung pained. She feels her heart being gripped on tightly. It hurts to see him like this. “That’s why I went to clubs and explored that nightlife when I saw her again after more than ten years. I was angry and curiosity creeped up on me. I was curious to see how Mum lived her life and what about it she enjoyed so much that she couldn’t love us. And when it was right in front of me, I just felt numb. I felt nothing towards those women. Anger or hate maybe, thinking how Mum was that kind of woman who made Dad, Sera— our family suffer so much. I did that for years, but I didn’t enjoy it. I kept doing it because it simply became a part of me.” He stops.

“I know that doesn’t justify any of what I did but…”

Aeiyoung hushes him. “It’s okay.” She whispers, hugging him. “You don’t have to say any more.” He’s said enough, more than she expected he will.

She locks his gaze to hers when she says, “What’s important now is that you have a lovely family. Your stepmother loves you so much, much more than your biological could possibly do. Your father is happy. He’s loving and he’s being loved. Now, you and your sisters have a very, very good pair of parents. It’s that, that matters, hm?”

He nods.

She smiles, “I’m sorry I asked that. I shouldn’t have.”

He moves his head side to side. “It’s alright, Aeiyoung.” He pecks the corner of her lips. “It’s okay.” He reassures. He won’t say it if he didn’t want to, anyway. But Aeiyoung is his forever now and he doesn’t see any reason why he should keep it from her.

Imagining what the Kim family, especially Jeho and his children had to go through is overwhelming and painful for Aeiyoung. Sera and Jongin were too young to be exposed to something like that. They were supposed to be carefree, enjoying life, playing around, being loved and care but no, they had to go through that painful experience. Maybe for the purpose to be stronger, because there was something out there that was waiting for them; something better, something that was nothing like the life they had then. She’s just really happy now that they have Younji, their beautiful stepmother. She is the Angel of their family.

She’s playing gently with his collars when she says, “You’re letting me know so much about you now. I appreciate it.” It warms Aeiyoung’s heart that her boyfriend is really listening to her and her words and her heart pounds harder when he returns question,

“Who else if not you?”

As a response, the lady bobs her shoulder with a shy smile, biting the left side of her bottom lip.

Seeing that, Jongin can’t resist anymore. Oh. He goes and captures her lips, kissing her as though he’s saying the words of I love you. Aeiyoung hums into the kiss, her fingers playing with his hair at the back of his head. Her lips part letting him nibble her lips as she does with him. It’s passionate but tender. A kiss of pure affection. Pulling away, they both smile, foreheads leaning against each other, looking at each other's eyes.

He leans back and in again, pressing his full lips on her forehead. “I love you.” He whispers against her skin. These words are only for her and no one else.

Jongin’s breath feels so warm to hers. It’s melting. She inhales, closing her eyes, taking in his words. When she opens it, she replies softly, looking deep to his orbs, “I love you too.”

They lean to kiss each other once more, but this time, it’s a peck. When they can’t seem to have enough, they do it once more, and another one and another one. Jongin beams, gently tickling her, making his kiss land on her chin as she leans her head back, giggling. Her hands are on either side of his neck. It’s so soft and warm.

Jongin brings his palms just under her jaw, making her look at him. No one but him. They look at each other’s eyes and they seem to just get lost, indulging themselves to their own world. World of no disturbance, just them, there for each other.

Caressing her soft cheeks with the pad of his thumb, he opens up something that he’s been wanting for awhile now. “Aeiyoung,” He calls. “How does the idea of moving in with me sound?”

Aeiyoung’s eyebrow furrows softly, “You want me to move in with you?”

He nods. “Will you?”

“Why?”

“I don’t see why not.” He reasons, “Unless you don’t want to.”

She shakes her head, “It’s not that but I wouldn’t want to leave Mina alone and so suddenly at that…”

“Okay,” He presses his lips quickly before placing a kiss on her cheek. “Think about it. But know that I’d really like it if you will.”

She hums, “Let’s talk more about it later. For now, let’s take our time with your daughter, okay?”

“Okay.”

After staying their for a bit more, they eventually decide to leave but apart from leaving with a heavy heart for Jongin, he feels free and relieved. The pain doesn’t completely vanish but Aeiyoung coming with him, it all makes it bearable.

They got more than what they ought for, too.

They are ten minutes away from the exclusive cemetery when she notices him read something on his phone before sighing sharply with his jaw clenched.

“Is everything alright?” she asks with concern.

“There are some Taiwanese people over and Rheid and I have been trying to close a deal with them.”

“And…?”

“She is meeting with them right now but I don’t think—”

“You need to be there?” She asks so soft, fully considering his situation. She can feel how important and urgent it is.

Regrettably, he nods.

She presses her lips in hard line and though she feels her heart heavy, she says, “Okay, I understand.”

Jongin and Aeiyoung are suppose to spend the rest of the day with each other. It’s Jongin’s promise since it’s been three days they hadn’t seen each other but by the looks of things, none of what’s planned is going to happen. Aeiyoung can’t deny that it somehow upsets her. She’s been particularly looking forward for today— first because she’s keen to meet his unborn daughter and second is because she wants to spend some quality time with him after being so busy and occupied with work. She’s conflicted because she understands but the same time, she can’t help but feel downhearted.

“We’ll drop you off and then—”

“There’s no need for that. I’ll be fine.” She cuts him. She didn’t mean to sound too cool for him to feel sorry. So, when she sees his apologetic eyes, she pushes in gentler tone, “You need to be there as soon as you can, right?”

His shoulders drop helplessly. “I’m… I’m sorry.”

She smiles, but it’s small that it doesn’t go missed by him. Knowing how no words will really make the mood better, he remains wordless.

Aeiyoung knows… She knows that if she’ll be with Jongin for a longer time, there will be more instances like this. The times when he would have to leave her to do something for his company. She’s aware she’ll have to deal with it but she wonders if she’ll ever get used to it.

Hiding the weight in her heart, she calls the older man on the driver seat, “Please drop me off at the nearest café you’ll see around here.”

Gyo’s eyes turn to Jongin before back at the lady, “Yes, I understand, Ms Ji.”

“Thank you.”

“Aeiyoung, come with me instead.”

The lady can only smirk but in no mocking. Jongin is not sure if the curve of the corner of her lips is disappointment or irritation, but the better he looks at it, he sees a tinge of sadness. It wrenches his heart.

Aeiyoung is smirking because she feels like Jongin’s invitation is forced because he doesn’t want her to do what she’s planning to do. To her, it feels like if he really wanted her or she could come with him, he would’ve done the invitation out of initiative. She’s happy not to come, she’s not mad at Jongin mad either but she’s just disappointed at herself for thinking that there will be times that the day would go as they planned, especially on days like this. But then again, Jongin is no other man. Or maybe she’s a little bit upset and frustrated, she wished that he should have just told her so she didn’t have to expect anything. No expectations, no disappointments, anyway.

“Aeiyoung.” He calls. “At least, let Gyo drive you at your place after I’m dropped off at the meeting location.

She meets his eyes. “No, there’s no need for that. I need to go around as well. For a walk or something in a new surrounding.”

“Alone?” Jongin is more than sure that she is not feeling okay. There is something wrong and he knows what that is.

“Yeah.” She smiles, this time more widely but still somewhat forced. The male can’t help but sigh.

Gyo pulls over and she looks out to the window, seeing they are in front of a café. She turns to Jongin, wishing sincerely, “I hope the meeting goes well.”

“I’ll call you.” He tells.

“Yeah, okay.” She says in nonchalant manner. Her boyfriend opens his mouth to say something when the door opens and she immediately steps out. She turns to him and nods her head as a goodbye. She shifts to her heels, walking away— not even hearing him say the words of I love you.

Aeiyoung looks back quickly, the same time the door closes, failing for her boyfriend to see. She is walking again towards the café as he watches her behind the tinted windows. He feels his heart ache.

Gyo sits back behind the wheel and drives off while Aeiyoung is now standing in front of the coffeehouse and takes a deep breath. She really doesn’t feel like anything from it anymore. So instead, she walks to her right and walks toward… nowhere, really.

After about two hours, she finds herself sitting on a steel bench that surrounds the man-made fountain, designed in modern and extravagant architecture. Number of kids and guardians are running around in laughters even though the water isn’t operating yet.

These things… these memories are something she doesn’t have. Childhood memories? Sure, she has them. But not all childhood memories are good and she belongs in that minority. Teenage memories? She has memories of that too but it’s not all too well, nowhere fun. In fact, majority of it were fantasies turned to nightmare. Adult memories? She’s just starting to have those good memories and her mood makes her feel unsure if it’ll even last.

She’s twenty seven years into her life and she’s just starting to live it. She’s just having that life she should’ve had for all the years she’s living. Now that she’s got a taste of it, she wonders if it will be taken away from her soon. Because for anything, she’s sure that there is nothing certain in this world and though no one will really get used to it, they would just learn how to deal with it.

She snaps out of her own thoughts when she hears her phone ring. It’s an unknown number which cause a knit between her eyebrows. Nevertheless, she answers it.

“Hi, Aeiyoung.” The caller greets.

Her breath hitches. After what a long silence, registering the identity of the caller, she responds steely, “Lee Yoo.” She can never mistake his voice for anyone else. “What do you want? How did you get my number?”

“I thought of taking the risk of asking if I could talk to you. Can we meet up?” Aeiyoung is confused at strange tone he’s using. It’s nothing cocky, not mocking. It’s almost humble and gentle, as far as Yoo can probably get. It feels alien.

“What’s there to talk about?”

“I feel like I won’t have any other opportunity to do this, if I don’t do it now.” He says. “I only need a little of your time. I know you’re okay now but please, just this once.”

She remains silent, pondering over his request. It’s been months since they last saw each other at the reunion, for anything, she’s sure that this male won’t call her if he doesn’t have a good reason. And he won’t sound as though he’s begging, talking with a voice full of remorse. Lee Yoo isn’t someone to do something like that.

Aeiyoung has a soft heart, and even if this man had hurt her so much, for her, it isn’t enough to turn him down. What harm can he do to her now, anyway?

“Okay, I will.” She responds.

She hears him breathe in relief, “Thank you, Aeiyoung.” He repeats, “Thank you.”


AUTHOR's NOTE:
 
Update, haha. Here you guys go.
 
I just want to let you guys know that I really appreciate every time I see comments. It really makes my day. Like, to think, you guys made an effort to type something about the story and at times for me, it really warms my heart. Motivates me so much. THANK YOU! See you all in the next update because I am still recovering from last night and tonight too. Too much feels for me. Kai, Sehun, Chanyeol and Baekhyun attacked me, like my feels are everywhere  and it's crazy. Anyway, I'm done here. Going back to fangirling now.
 
P/S: I don't know when the next update will be because I am writing another story but I don't think it should take too long. It shouldn't. I shouldn't.