Chapter Eight

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Eight

“No! No, nope! It’s not like that.” Aeiyoung denies as she shakes her head vehemently. But for Jongin, it is way too adorable. It’s hard for him to hide and not show any reaction so a huge grin is just plastered across his face.

Dinner went on quiet but somehow became an ice-breaker for either of them. Both were stealing glances for time to time — him, trying to see if she likes what he got asked to prepare; her, glancing because of utter appreciation and awe. Both had smiles showing how comfortable they are in each other’s presence, under such light-hearted and homely circumstance and ambiance. At times, they would giggle and quietly laugh whenever they would look at each other simultaneously and meet each other’s eyes. They were in their own little bubble, together, and both won’t deny they liked it.

They are cozily sitting at the same side of the sofa, facing each other, on the square outdoor lounge of the yacht. A pillow is over Aeiyoung’s legs as she sat with her legs crossed over each other with a thick fleece blanket that she’s sharing with Jongin, who brought it from inside, to keep themselves warm.

Neither know how long it’s been since they sat there. Though, for the past five minutes, they were talking about Mina and her boyfriend; and how she’s a bit sceptical about him at first, but then he proved her wrong. And now, Jongin has been teasing her that maybe, she really just didn’t like sharing her best-friend to anyone that’s why she didn’t like him at first.

Aeiyoung pouts, “It’s Mina’s first boyfriend since the year after we graduate from University. And she’s always been protective over me and the guy, before Chanyeol, was a jerk, it’s only natural for me to act like that. I had to be sure that he isn’t the same because well… my first encounter with Chanyeol wasn’t so good so I kind of judged him for that, which I regret now.”

Despite the reasoning, Jongin is still wearing an amused smile, which appears teasing for her, while he’s leaning on his side on the lounge, with his hand under the side of his head. Seeing that, the lady pouts her lips even more. “I swear… It’s all good now. He’s a good boy and he loves Mina. In fact, I’d be really mad and broken if they break up.”

“Poor boy, though.” He comments. It’s his final tease.

That… Aeiyoung can’t disagree because she admits, “I was… a bit harsh on him.”’ Then, she diverts the topic because she doesn’t want to feel guilty anymore, “What about you? Jaein has mentioned your supposed protectiveness. Do you even let guys go near him?”

He gives in and hums quickly before saying, “Not, when I’m around. Probably some guy tried to hit on her while she was in Paris or maybe she’s gone out but never told me.”

Curious, she asks, “How protective can you get?”

“I think just right.” He answers though, he’s positive Jaein will disagree if she’s here. “We all just love Jaein so much. She’s the baby of the family. All of us are — though, with Sera, she’s just really not good at expressing herself.” He adds, “Without Jaein, our family won’t be the same. We won’t be as happy and bonded together.”

Aeiyoung smiles hearing that.

“It’s because I’m the brother that’s why she thinks I’m the most protective of her.”

“Actually, she emphasised you as being overprotective.” It’s her turn to do some slight teasing.

Jongin’s jaw drops slightly. “Me? Overprotective?” He shakes his head. “No.”

“You sure?” She bites back her smile. “My memory isn’t that bad.”

The corner of his lips tugs up, happy with how she’s currently behaving. No, he doesn’t like being teased, but with Aeiyoung, it’s different. She can at any time and he won’t feel pissed by any bit. He likes it… everything feels so carefree and jocund.

He finds himself giving in. “Maybe I am. At times… I can get overboard but it’s better than being sorry.”

A soft smile appears in her face. The intentions of teasing are gone when she tells him slowly, “She… mentioned to me that she’s adopted.”

He raises his brow, “Just that?”

She moves her head side to side. “No… She also told me a little of the story.”

“As far as?”

“She told me about how she became an orphan and then her condition after that, how your Mum met her, adopted her and you, welcoming her into the family.”

His lips curve upwards. He’s happy at the way that Saturday afternoon turned out. There’s nothing better than seeing his sister and the girl he likes getting along. Nevertheless, it’s no surprise to him. Aeiyoung is far from being a lady that’s hard to like and Jaein, well, she always knew how to get along with people; being the sociable and outgoing person she is.

“When Mum got married to Dad, Sera and I felt so much hope and optimism. And then Jaein came, completing the puzzle. She was the missing piece of our picture-perfect puzzle.” He recalls. “Sera wasn’t able to bond with her as much but that doesn’t mean she loved and cared for her any less. She loves her as much as I do. When Mum and Dad brought her home, I instantly felt the instinct of an older brother. It was a little weird, at the time, to see how she wasn’t talking but they explained to me the situation. Being the older brother, being a sibling, I just did what my older sister did to me. I played and continuously talked to her until she finally got out of her shell. I loved her just like how my older sister, maybe even more.” He stops and finishes, “And now, she’s unstoppable.”

Aeiyoung giggles. He used the same term his sister did when they concluded the story. Unstoppable.

“I feel like I’ve talked a lot about my family.” He notices. “What about yours?”

Her smile turns to an awkward and shy one. “There’s not much about my family. It’s lonely being an only child.”

“Anything…” He pushes. “You told me your Dad is a taekwondo instructor?”

Aeiyoung nods, slightly shocked as it hits her that he really has been paying attention to everything she’s saying. The momentary shock turns to awe. It’s been so long since the last time she felt things she said mattered — not as an event coordinator, not as a best-friend and not as a daughter; just by simply being her.

She reaches for the glass of peach iced tea that was sitting on the centre table to drink before saying, “He’s also a senior mechanic. He does two jobs, I’m not certain about the reason, though.” She adds, “And how he does it. And, yeah, he has his own taekwondo school.”

“He’s a passionate and devoted man, isn’t he?”

“He is.” She affirms. “He brought three of his students to the national team, two of them are gold medallist and the other one is a silver medallist. And another one is coming on the way. He’s training him at the moment to win a competition that would hopefully get him to the national team.” With a proud smile, she furthers, “I’m proud of him.”

“You must be.” He believes, no doubt. He sees it in her eyes anyway. “Did you learn taekwondo at all?”

“I did.” She says as a matter of fact. “But, I did not last. Taekwondo isn’t for me. But I’m proud, however, to say that my body still recognises some essential self-defence he taught me.” She hums, “To fight, then run and call for help.”

“I’m relieved you know this stuff.” He tells her. “Just makes me wonder why you didn’t do it at the bar back then?”

Oh. She shakes her head. “Because it was Sehun’s party and I didn’t want to cause a scene and ruin it for him. I thought being stern and fierce would work on that blonde guy; but I was wrong.” She purses her lips in regret. “I looked so fragile, didn’t I?”

“Somewhat.” He answers. “But I would’ve still done what I did either way. I can’t let you get harmed.” Then he breathes with slight anguish in his eyes, “I wish I have noticed earlier though. I only noticed when I realised you were taking too long. Something felt wrong.”

“No, it’s okay. You came at the right time. I’m thankful.”

They smile at each other and the moment breaks when they hear her phone ring for a message. She puts down the glass and takes her phone. It’s from Mina. She opens the message and makes her chuckle.

“What is it?” Jongin asks, intrigue at her reaction.

“Mina’s asking what we’re doing. She’s so enthusiastic and interested.” She puts her phone down and decides to reply later. “I need to talk to her when I get back.” She says, referring to the alliance she and Jongin had.

Appreciating the cool breeze, she looks up and notices how the dark sky is filled with so many shining and twinkling stars. “Wow…”

The male turns his gaze and looks up, towards the direction she’s looking. “It’s a night sky, full of stars…” What’s above them is stunning. They both continue to gawk until an idea pops inside his head. “Come.” He says, standing up.

Aeiyoung snaps her gaze from the sky and looks at him with perplexity. Taking the blanket off her legs, she stands up as he holds her hand. “Where are we going?”

He points up, towards the deck on the higher level of the yacht. “We can see the stars better from up there.”

Leaving the pillows, the blanket and their drinks, they stroll to go towards higher deck wherein two prestigious wicker sunlounge with comfortable and soft cushions for two people are sitting. It’s perfect to lay down and stargaze.

Jongin walks her around as she lays herself comfortably. He slightly moves his own closer to hers in a perfect distance and then rests himself with head over his arm.

A tranquil silence surrounds them, taking their time to look and admire the stars above. The stillness halts when he prompts to ask, “Do you like stargazing?”

“I do…” She nearly whispers but because it’s the only sound surrounding them apart from small ocean waves, he hears it crystal clear. She looks at him.

He meets her gaze. “Yeah?”

“Yeah.” She bobs her head up and down before looking back up but his eyes don’t leave her. “I don’t get the time to do it often, particularly in a setting like this, but I like it.” Jongin’s all ears. Aeiyoung’s voice are like soft and soothing music to his ears. He can keep quiet, just listen and let her do all the talking. He doesn’t mind it like that. “Isn’t it amazing how stargazing can offer you an infinity?” She asks but it doesn’t need to be answered. “That’s something that I haven’t had all my life. And it’s just you, your eyes and the stars above. They are miles, miles, miles away yet you can see them. So far yet so near… So bright in a so dark night. But, it’s stunning, mesmerising beauty just relaxes you without having the need to worry about anything else.” She turns to him. “Do you?”

He tilts his head. “Do I what?”

“Do you like stargazing?”

“Just as much as I could.” He answers. “I don’t remember having bad memories with it.”

She smiles sympathetically, “I’m the same.”

And all this, is another memory both Jongin and Aeiyoung could keep in their minds and hearts — where their hearts take steps closer and closer to each other.

 

Aeiyoung flutters her eyes open and slowly gets up from the king-sized bed, looking around her surroundings. She frowns, being half awake, realising she’s still in the yacht with Jongin. She isn’t sure what time it was when they decided to head inside and end the night but regardless, she won’t deny how good the sleep felt — restful and very much relaxed as though she slept for long hours.

She freshens herself up, changing clothes from what Gyo brought for her and washes herself. drops as she realises how much clothes were packed for her. It’s as if they are going to stay there for a week when it’s just overnight. She decides to wear a pair of light-coloured jean shorts, white plain t-shirt and long cotton grey cardigan, leaving her hair down.

She walks out of her suite to find Jongin standing and leaning behind the kitchen counter as he feeds himself some Bagel with creamy scrambled eggs and ham with a cup of coffee. He’s wearing (also) a white plain long sleeved top and a pair of jeans, but instead of a light shade, it’s darker. Aeiyoung smiles as she sees him in a rather very casual outfit.

When he notices her presence, he halts the fork mid-air just before it goes into his mouth. He falls into a brief surprise but then smiles and feeds himself. As she walks closer, he swallows after chewing and greets her with a simple but melting “Hello…”

“Hi…” She greets back, relaxed and comfortable. Her hands holding on either of her arms.

“Slept well?”

“Yeah. Very well.” She answers, looking at him in a soft gaze.

“Hungry?”

She bites one side of her bottom lip in hesitance, “I don’t usually eat breakfast.”

Jongin squints his eyes in disapproval.

“Okay,” She her lips as her gaze drops down to his food. “Kind of.” She admits sheepishly.

His lips tug into a smile. “Good. I honestly didn’t think you would wake up so early.” He tells her. “Are you happy with this?” He asks, gesturing towards his plate.

“What time is it?” She returns a question.

Jongin presses his phone’s home button, “It’s six forty-five in the morning.”

Her eyes widen, totally not expecting the early time considering her good and well-rested sleep. Then, she responds back to his question earlier, eyeing down back on his food. “Yeah, I would like that.”

“Okay, hang on.” He cues and turns back to the fridge to get some eggs out and turns the stove back on. When she realises he’s cooking for her, she quickly walks closer to him.

“It’s okay. I can do it.” She says, trying to get the eggs from him.

Jongin looks at her and narrows his eyes, not angry or anything, just not fond of the idea. He wants to serve her. “You’re my guest. It’s only right I make some easy breakfast for you.”

She shakes her head. “No, you’ve been doing so much since last night. Let me do this. It’s easy, anyway.” With pleading eyes, she pleads, “Please?”

He breathes, finding himself giving in — not entirely, though. He wants to do it for her. In fact, he’d say no if only he can resist her. “Help me, then.”

Beaming, she asks, “What can I do for you?”

“I forgot the milk.” He tells her. “Could you get it for me?”

“Is it in the fridge?” She heads toward it even before hearing his response.

“Yeah it is.” He responds, cracking the eggs down on the bowl and beats it.

“Why are you up so early?”

“Couldn’t sleep.” He answers simply. “And also, an early start to do some work instead of doing nothing.”

“Wow,” She gives him a look. “You could really be a workaholic.”

Jongin smirks, “As if you’re any different. Mina thanked me and was particular about getting you off work.”

She rolls her eyes, “Of course, she is.”

“Cute…” He comments as he looks back to what he’s doing. Too bad the lady didn’t catch it.

They continue to prepare the easy breakfast, having fun and some light playing in between. They laugh and giggle as they cook and settles to the dining area upon finishing. They eat close to each other.

“How did you learn to cook?” She inquires before taking her first bite.

Jongin nearly chokes upon hearing what she said. “I’m far from knowing how to cook. This only as far as I can go.” He takes a bite from his fork.

Her brows furrow with a small pout, “So, who cooks for you?”

“My housekeeper, Mikyeong.”

“She’s good?”

He nods. “For me who barely knows how to cook, yes. Mum’s got her approval. She likes her. And both Jaein and Sera loves her food.”

“Okay, that’s good.”

He tilts his head towards her. “Why is that?”

“I’d be worried if you always eat out to fill your stomach.” She says. “Nothing beats homemade food.”

He smirks, “Why? What would you do, if that is the case?”

She shrugs, “I don’t know. Perhaps, bring you dinner.”

His smirk turns into a cheeky smile, “Oh, I like the idea.”

Aeiyoung rolls her eyes, the second time that morning. “But, that’s not the case.” She drinks from her cup of coffee, “Besides, I don’t know if you’ll like my cooking. Or if it’s any close to your housekeeper’s.”

Jongin chuckles at that. Although, the idea of her cooking something for him, somewhat excites him. He can’t wait — hopefully, it’ll be one of these days. Hopefully, soon.

Standing side by side, they are at biggest deck of the yacht, an hour later, looking out and appreciating the nature that’s surrounding them. It’s all mountains, hills, trees, few big houses by itself with no neighbours and of course the ocean beneath them. The wind is cool but warm and refreshing.

Aeiyoung wraps her cardigan tighter around her body.

“Cold?” Jongin asks, upon noticing.

“I’m fine.” She smiles reassuringly. “It’s just so beautiful here.”

“It is, isn’t it?” He agrees.

“Do you take your family here?” But the answer is obvious to her. Still, she just wants to hear. She loves it when he talks.

“I do.” He answers. “But only twice or thrice. We don’t get to do it often.” Aeiyoung tilts her head. “We’re all busy. Sera enjoying her career as a paediatrician. Mum and Dad, not wanting to tone down to their own respective careers and Jaein having the time of her life while finding where her passion really is.”

“And you?”

“Me?” She doesn’t answer with a nod but with her brows. “I’m busy with the company too.” He answers. And finding myself…

“Do you go here to think as well?” Jongin looks at her at the unexpected question. “Well, this is a perfect place to do that. And… you look like someone who thinks a lot.”

He shakes his head, looking down. “I don’t.” He responses, voice slightly dark and deep.

Sure, it’s a good place to think and have the time for himself. It’s what he did before. But for the past year, it became too lonely for Jongin. He can’t bear the feeling of being alone. Simply because he’s scared of what he might do. Why else would he abuse himself into work, into the company? He had to keep himself busy to keep going. Where would he be if he wouldn’t? He’s scarred and in pain but he didn’t want to come to the point of being selfish. He had done it before, he knows how his selfishness could affect the people around him, especially the ones he loves, and he doesn’t want to go back there. Not anymore.

Aeiyoung wonders if the question she asked was rude, or if she stepped over the line of their boundaries because the relaxed and serene face Jongin had earlier slowly fade away. She wants to ask if she had done or said anything wrong. But what good would it do now? Instead, she decides to keep silent and refrain to ask or say anything for now. She settles gazing around though with an uneasy heart.

They both keep silent like that, just hearing the waves of the ocean, the wind blowing, together with the timely chirping sounds of the birds flying up high above the bright and blue sky – just all the natural sounds that the nature is making.

It remains like that until Jongin speaks, pointing towards a direction. “Look there.” He says softly yet clearly.

The darkness and stoic face he’s wearing earlier brightens and relaxes a little but definitely better than earlier. Aeiyoung turns to where he’s pointing and gasps.

Faraway from them, are flocks of birds flying off a huge tree and below it are kids on the meadow, running around with their parents watching gleefully aside, each doing their own thing — some are taking photos, setting up their camping food, and others are bystanders. Neither Jongin and her could see the euphoric and ebullient faces clearly but they can feel it. It’s such a beautiful and blissful looking scene that’s normally can be seen only in movies.

“How moving…” She comments, with eyes glowing with admiration. The smile on her face is so sweet to his eyes. “They all look so happy.”

Then, one of the kids turn, noticing the yacht passing by. He probably calls the attention of the others as both see them waving at them.

They both chuckle at the sight as they wave back. They doubt, however, if they can see them doing that but it didn’t stop them from doing so.

“Do you like kids?” Jongin asks.

“Yeah.” She answers naturally. “They are bundles of joy and happiness.” She meets his eyes. “Do you?”

“I think… I’m okay with kids.” He responds but it sounded more like he’s convincing her and himself. He breathes, “I never interacted a lot with kids to be certain. But I like to think I’m okay with them.”

Aeiyoung laughs as she shakes her head. “Okay…”

The uneasiness she felt earlier isn’t so apparent now and she likes it better that way.

Three hours pass, and Jongin is in his own suite sitting by the study, on his laptop, reading the emails his staff has sent him. In about half an hour, they will arrive back in the marina.

Meanwhile, Aeiyoung is in her suite, packing up. She wonders what to do with the luggage of clothes Jongin provided. She cleans and tries her best to put the room back into the state when she first found it.

Quietly, she walks towards his room and knocks. The door automatically unlocks and she takes it as a cue to open it. She finds him, looking at her with a sweet smile, halting whatever he’s doing.

“Do you need anything?” he asks.

She presses her lips together. Ashamed of intruding his private space, she reluctantly asks, “Uh, I was wondering what I would do with those clothes you bought.”

He wheels his chair out and stands up. He walks to the side of his desk and leans on it with his arms crossed over his chest. “You take them with you…” He says softly and not demanding.

“But, that’s a lot.”

He shrugs his shoulders. “No one else is going to have them.” He reasons.

Aeiyoung purses her lips, she doesn’t say anything but the reluctance in her eyes are apparent.

“Take them, Aeiyoung.” He insists, putting his arms down with his thumbs on his jean pockets. “It’s okay.”

She thinks, not looking at him. It’s all too much for her. Of course, she appreciates but it’s not necessary for her to take them all as if it’s hers; as if she spent her own money on it.

Her thoughts are interrupted when Jongin opens up an idea, “Or take some, at least one or two, take it as a remembrance and then I’ll get the rest to be donated.”

It’s then when she decides to look at him. She doesn’t miss what seems to be an offended look he has in his eyes. She feels sorry but at the same time, she doesn’t want to take that does not belong to her. She presses her lips together before nodding and heads back to her room.

 

“Yes, confirm the meeting with the Taiwanese. — That’s fine.”

Aeiyoung hears him talking on the phone, perhaps with his assistant. She stays quiet, a meter behind him, not wanting to interrupt at any point. When he hangs up the phone, he turns to look for her only to notice she’s there standing. He bobs his head towards his side.

“Why are you standing there?” He invites, “Come.”

She takes steps closer to him, eyes on the wide and notices that they are getting closer to the marina. She glances up at him, “I just want to thank you, for this, for the night.”

Jongin nods with a small curve on his lips, not saying anything. He did all of it to simply squeeze in the four days they didn’t see each other over the night. He didn’t know how else he should do it — expressing how much he missed her, how much he wanted to get to know her more and how he wanted both of them to get closer to each other.

When they arrive by the dock, two men gets inside the yacht and heads to the cabin to get their stuff before Jongin walks a step ahead of Aeiyoung. He takes her bag before holding onto her hand while they both head down the gangplank.

By the waterfront is Gyo waiting by a big SUV. He nods back when his boss does and opens the door at the back, letting both Aeiyoung and Jongin enter.

“I’ll get you home.”

The lady doesn’t refuse and lets him. Cruising down the road, he hopes, “You had a good time?”

“Better.” It’s a memory she won’t forget. “It was so pleasant and comforting. I had a lovely time.”

Satisfied, he nods with a smile he can’t hold back. It’s all that mattered to him.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

There we go. Unedited.

And just, you know, a GIF just because he's so beautiful!

김종인 보고싶다!!! 사랑해요 너무!

*GIF not mine, credit to the owner