Chapter Three

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Three

“Miss Ji.” One of Aeiyoung’s colleague greets her with a friendly smile.

The lady nods at her, “Hi, how are you?”

“Good, thank you.” She responds.

“That’s good. I’ll see you at one?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Perfect.” She smiles again before continuing to walk down to her office. But before she reaches there, Nara, the Event Assistant of her team, approaches her.

“Miss Ji, Mrs Tanya is in the meeting room.” She informs.

“Oh, okay. Tell her I’ll be there in two minutes.” She asks, “Has she been waiting long?”

“Not at all. She arrived just a minute before you did.”

“Great.” Aeiyoung nods and enters her office. She puts her bag in safety and grabs the folder from her desk and laptop. Promptly, she gets to meet her client, Mrs Tanya, greeting her in a very professional manner.

“It’s a pleasure meeting you finally, Miss Ji Aeiyoung.”

The lady lets out a shy chuckle, “The pleasure is on me, Madam.”

“Oh, please, I’d be happy with Mrs Tanya.”

“Mrs Tanya.” She corrects herself.

Follows are Nara, and one other who’s part of her team, who also greets their big client.

“Have a seat, Mrs Tanya.” She says. “You guys, too.” She turns to her team. They all sit down and she asks, “Have you been offered anything drinks? Iced Tea, Coffee, Water, Juice, anything…”

She nods her head, “Oh yes, yes.” She glances at Nara, “Your colleague here took great care.”

“That’s good.” Aeiyoung smiles at her. “Now that you have met Nara, I want you to meet May, our event manager. She’s new in the team but she definitely knows what she’s doing.” She tells with great faith.

“Hi, Mrs Tanya.” May greets politely.

“Hello.” Mrs Tanya smiles back in the same manner.

A second later, her glass of Four Seasons juice comes in. Aeiyoung prompts, “So, shall we start?”

After taking a quick sip from her glass, she answers, “I’m very excited.”

Flattered, she proceeds with the agenda of the appointment together with her team, impressing their client more than she already is even before she came. The meeting lasts for an hour and half, concluding with happy and contended hearts.

“You are indeed perfect at what you do, Miss Ji.” Mrs Tanya comments, standing up and shaking hands with the young lady. “I had high expectations of you and Iveely Events after my good long-time friend recommended your company. And she specifically referred to you.”

“Oh.” She can’t believe. It has always been her aim to satisfy her client but she hasn't always expected that someone would be so appreciative of her effort to the point that one would be willing enough to recommend her and the company. “May I ask who…?”

She laughs, “You looked so shocked, Miss Ji.”

Aeiyoung doesn’t say anything.

“Such talented yet modest woman, you. To answer your question, it’s Mrs Rena. Do you remember her?”

“Oh, Mrs Rena,” she smiles in delight, getting pleasant memories. “Of course, I remember her. Mrs Rena was the most amiable and gracious client we’ve had so far. It was such a pleasant time working with her. We’d love for more.”

“That does sound like her.” The woman agrees. “Well, speaking of which, I need to go because I am going to see her.” She grabs her bag and nods at everyone in the room.

“Oh yes, go ahead, Mrs Tanya. See you next week?”

“Yes, that’s right.”

The lady is escorted by a lady who appears to be her assistant. When she’s gone, Aeiyoung turns at her team with a relieved smile.

“Well done to us!” She says. “Nara, please call the venue to confirm for the Sara’s.”

“Okay, Miss Ji.”

“Also, don’t worry about calling Tan, I’ll do that. Where is he now?”

May leans forward, “He called this morning and told me that he went to go to make finals checks of the materials for the upcoming Wedding Expo.”

“Alright.” Aeiyoung nods and makes a mental note to herself.

May and Nara continue discussing when an intern gently swings the glass door open. He shyly greets his seniors.

“Yes?”

“Miss Ji, someone is here to see you.”

Aeiyoung’s eyebrows frown in confusion. According to her schedule, she isn’t expecting anyone until twelve. “Who is it?”

“He said his name is Kim Jongin.” He answers.

The lady’s eyes dilate after hearing his name. What could he be possibly doing here? But she remains composure and nods at the younger man. “I’ll be out shortly.” The intern exits and she turns to the other two ladies. “I’ll leave you two to it.”

Softly responding with an ‘Okay’, she heads out of the meeting room and on to her way towards the reception area. There, she finds Jongin standing, facing the other way, and hands inside his pockets. Professional aura and undeniable strong charisma still oozing out even behind his back. He’s wearing a black with thin stripes suit, anyone can tell it was made from an expensive and rare material. His hair is brushed up, to the side.

“Mr Kim.” She calls.

The male turns around and the quite uptight expression in his face brightens as it softens. He takes a step forward closer to the lady as she walks up to him.

“Miss Ji.” He greets with a quiet and gravelly voice. His smile is pleasant, somewhat sweet and quite mystifying, if the lady should describe.

“Hi,” she greets again. She tries to compose herself at his unexpected presence. “What a surprise. Is there anything I can do for you?”

Jongin doesn’t answer for a second. “No, Miss Ji. I actually came here for you.”

“For me?” Aeiyoung can’t hide her surprise.

He chuckles. “Are you perhaps available for some coffee?”

The lady eyes widen, off-guard, jaw drops a little. She couldn’t believe what she just heard, trying to process what is happening. Kim Jongin just asked her for some coffee. In that momentary of shock, she doesn’t utter a word.

She’s reluctant to say yes and grant his invitation but at the same time, she didn’t want to say no. After, what happened the last time they saw each other, she thinks it would be rude of her to refuse the man again. It’s only for some coffee after all.

Jongin looks at her, patiently waiting for an answer – with hopes she’ll say yes. She opens to say something when someone from meters away calls for her attention.

“Kangjun!”

Kangjun strides forward and gives the lady an embrace. Jongin frowns in which the lady fails to notice as she is bewildered at the presence of the man who just came in.

“Hey.” She tries to display a smile. “What are you doing here?”

“Visiting my Aunt.” He explains and that’s when it comes back to her mind that the Vice President of Iveely is his Aunt. This is the first time he did this as he never comes to visit her during office hours. Then, he adds, “And… to ask if you have an answer for me?”

Aeiyoung breathes sharply, uncomfortable. She turns to see Jongin’s disapproving look, seemingly not impressed at the intrusion of the male. She clears . “Uh, Kangjun, it’ll only be polite if I introduce you to him. This is Mr Kim Jongin.” She introduces. “Mr Kim, Seo Kangjun, a good friend of mine.”

Jongin’s gaze changes. He gives a professional smile and offers his hand. “Kim Jongin.” He introduces himself formally.

The other male shakes his hand and returns, “Seo Kangjun. – Are you perhaps the Kim Jongin, the CEO of J.KEH.”

With an unreadable expression in his eyes, he gives him a polite smile.

Kangjun goes momentarily awestruck. “Pleasure to meet you.”

Jongin nods. He really can’t say the same.

After introducing them to each other, Aeiyoung decides to excuse herself and his friend from him. “Mr Kim, I hope you don’t mind excusing ourselves quickly.”

The male, having no choice, nods his head again, though still impassive. He gives a verbal answer quietly. “Go ahead.”

“Thank you.” She bows politely and grabs Kangjun’s wrist to pull him away. She takes him to a private corner, enough distance for anyone not to overhear whatever she’s going to say.

“Is there something wrong?” The male asks.

The lady shakes her head. “You’re here to see your Aunt, aren’t you?’

“Yeah…”

“Okay, if –”

“But would it be too much if I hear an answer from you again?”

She sighs hopelessly, shaking her head. “My answer is still the same. Nothing has changed.”

“But Aeiyoung, one dinner is all I’m asking.” He insists, trying his luck one more time.

“I’m sorry.” She bows her head down with guilt. “And please refuse asking me. I don’t really want to hurt you anymore.” She’s so close to begging.

“There’ll come a day,” He mumbles. She keeps her eyes on him. “I know and I’m hoping that there will come a day, when you’re going to give me a chance. At least one chance. Just a dinner or at least some drinks.”

She doesn’t find a point to argue and change his mind anymore. It’s pointless. He’s helpless. She breathes and asks, “I’m assuming your Aunt is expecting you?”

“Yeah.”

“Go to the reception and one of the ladies will lead you where her office is.”

Kangjun notices the coldness in her tone. Maybe, he stepped over the line, that wasn’t his intention. He just really didn’t want to give up without getting at least one chance. But for now, he lays it off and quietly he utters, “Thank you.”

Aeiyoung smiles as she watches him walk off. Then, she turns to Jongin who seemed to be watching them like a hawk. His gaze is rather cold.

She walks towards him with contrite eyes and softly apologises, “I’m sorry for that.”

His lips curve soflty.“Forgiven if you’ll accept my invitation.” He adds, “It won’t take much of your time.”

Or his time. Aeiyoung thought. Being someone who he is, she’s certain that he’s one of a busy man. Surely, he won’t waste much of his time for someone like her. With that in mind, she bobs her head, “I often go to White Haven’s.

His lips curve grows bigger but not yet to the fullest. “Wherever you’d like.”

She bites her bottom lip and smiles shyly. “Let’s go?”

“After you.”

They walk in the lift as the male presses the button to the ground floor, being in the sixth floor of the building. They stand side to side with Aeiyoung still slightly feeling awkward. Thus, she attempts to break the silence.

“So, uh, did you like what you had in the café then?” she inquires.

Jongin smirks slightly, amused that finally, she shows interest. “Yes, I did. I can see why it’s your favourite.”

“What did you order again?”

He recalls, “Piccolo Latte and Crispy Chicken Burger.” She can’t help but grin. It’s contagious, he thought. “What?”

She presses her lips together then smiles widely before answering, seemingly excited. “I have something for you to try.”

“Whatever that is, I’m looking forward to it.”

“Please tell me you have no allergies.”

“No.” He leaves out the fact there are some food he doesn’t like eating.

“Perfect.”

The lift dings, sliding its doors open. They walk out to the lobby and then out of the building. Outside, Gyo is waiting by the car. Aeiyoung notices him and remembers him as Jongin’s driver. She turns to the CEO.

“Do you mind walking?”

He looks at her, “No.”

Satisfied, she tells him. “Then we’re going that way.” She points towards the west.

Jongin turns to his driver and holds up a hand. Gyo bows, getting what the gesture was. He stays where he is as his boss and the lady with him walks, heading towards their destination.

After about three corners, they arrive at the café. Thankfully for her, not many people are around. They enter the premises and the male notices her face brighten. How adorable, he thought.

“What drink would you like?” she asks him.

“Flat White.” He answers.

“Okay. Do you mind if I choose your food?”

He moves his head side to side. “No.”

“Okay, I’ll order now.”

“Take this.” Jongin gives his card. “And I’ll look for a table.”

“But, it’s okay. I can pay.” It’s not much anyway.

“I was the one who invited you so I think it should be on me.” He reasons.

Hesitantly, she takes the card, not wanting to drag it out longer. “Alright.”

She walks towards the counter where a crew is waiting. while the male walks off to find a good spot.

“Hi.” She greets with a friendly smile, looking up over the menu. “I’d like two Flat White, one Grilled Haloumi Bruschetta and one Mushroom, Ricotta and Spinach Omelette.”

“Would that be all?”

“Yes.” She gives his card. She receives a number and her receipt back together with the card.

Turning around, she looks for Jongin. Easy-spotted. He’s looking at his phone, probably checking his emails or whatever a busy CEO does when he’s out of the office, she thought.

“Hi.” She greets as she takes a sit.

Jongin looks up and smiles, quickly hiding his phone back into his pocket. “Done?”

“It’ll be here shortly.” She answers. “Here’s your card.” She says.

He takes it back. “You paid with this?”

“Yeah.” She smiles uneasily.

“That’s good.” He says putting the card back in his wallet.

A thought bugs Aeiyoung’s mind. “Uh, if you don’t mind me asking, how did you know the company I was working for?” She asks as she doesn’t recall mentioning Iveely for the two consecutive times they met.

“I wanted to see you.” He answers and adds vaguely, “so I took the effort.”

Truthfully speaking though, he took the opportunity to ask Sehun about it, using the courage he built overnight to ask when he went to see Sehun the Sunday morning before he departed for overseas. Jongin wasn't even sure if his best-friend knew or not but he only hoped he did — and thank heavens, he does. Now that he recalls it, he realises that he did not even care about what his best-friend would think of him or about it. He just did it.

The lady gulps. “But why?”

“I think I’ve told you.” He says, remembering their conversation at Echo 9. His interest towards her was taking him to places, making him do things he never imagined in his life. He’s surprised himself but he doesn’t intend to stop.

Aeiyoung is confused. He told her? She couldn’t recall quickly or more like, she can’t pinpoint it. Is it the mere interest thing? For someone like her? Really? She feels like it would be foolish of her to think that it is more than some mere interest. Looking at herself, it’s just impossible.

Thoughts are running inside her head. And amid it, their food arrives, having the crew set it out on the table in a very neat and organised way. Jongin softly mumbles a ‘Thank you’ while the lady nods at her. When she’s gone, she notices him looking at her.

He takes a sip from his coffee, eyes not leaving her and asks, “Is he your boyfriend?”

She tilts her head. “Who? Kangjun?” She laughs briefly and presses her lips. “No. He’s not.”

“So, he likes you?” Jongin can tell by what he saw earlier.

She feels it would be presumptuous of her to confirm the question so she nods lightly, almost whispering a “Yeah.”

“You don’t like him?” He continues to ask. “I apologise if the question is–”

“Oh no, don’t apologise.” She quickly assures him. “No... I think we’re better off as friends.”

Jongin is happy to hear that but he tries his best not show it. Though, his eyes might’ve sparkled already. Who knows if the lady or anyone noticed it?

“High standards?”

Looking at her, he’s sure that a lot of men are dying to take her out, admiring her. It’s no wonder, if ever. The more he looks at her, the more beautiful she gets and the more attractive yet mysterious she becomes.

“No.” She says. “I guess I just haven’t found that one. Or maybe, I’m just not that likeable.”

Or really, she’s just scared. Because ever since he happened, she turned to a lady fuller of fears and doubts.

Hearing what she said, he can’t help but disagree with that. “I don’t think so. You’re very beautiful, Aeiyoung.”

The way she hears him call her name sounds very different when Jongin does it. It’s the same name she’s been using since she was born but why is it that she hears him say it, she gets to feel something she doesn’t understand. It’s baffling her.

“You don’t give away much, do you?”

Aeiyoung straightens herself. “Well, I don’t think you give much either.” She returns in a composed manner. “I only remember you telling me your expensive outdoor hobbies which happened to be my dreams to try.”

“What do you want to know about me?” He then asks. “This will only work if we give and take, right?”

She freezes. She hasn’t really thought about it as this scenario happening at all, especially on a Monday morning, didn’t cross her mind. Nevertheless, she comments, "You're indeed a businessman, Mr Kim." She then follows, “I would be pleased whatever it is you'd like to tell me.”

At that moment, he takes the opportunity to… “Only a few calls me by first name. The rest calls me ‘Mr Kim’. And I’d like it if you can call me by Jongin.”

She chews her bottom lip before answering. “I just think it’s too informal to call you that. Like you said, only a few people call you by that. I wonder what makes me different?”

He chuckles. “I’d also like to let you know that I don’t socialise with people whom I just first met. Of course, doing business is a different matter. But you were an exception on that Friday night. I don’t initiate conversations with people who I don’t know but in fact, I did with you. I neither tell everyone I meet doing those you called expensive outdoor hobbies. Nor do I offer people I’m not close with a ride home. I’ve done things beyond of what I usually do. Therefore, I don’t see the reason why you need to be so formal with me.”

Aeiyoung, initially flustered, breaks into a smile. She is impressed so she makes a comment again, “I think I can tell why you are very successful at what you do. You know negotiating and you do exceptionally well at it.”

He gives a small smile, acknowledging what she said but he isn’t just finished yet. “To answer your question, I don’t know. I don’t know what makes you so different. However, I admit I am fond of the idea hearing you call me by ‘Jongin’.”

Speechless, the lady just nods, giving in to his persistence. “Jongin.” She calls, though she admits, it really feels strange doing so.

Satisfied, he says, “Much better.” He points towards the Grilled Haloumi. “This tastes really good.”

In a more relax manner, she agrees, “Oh, yeah. Very. They have other ones that I love. If you like this, you’ll like those as well. Perhaps next time we can try it.”

Next time? Jongin is delighted and excited with the idea. “Definitely.”

She smiles shyly and feeds herself with small amounts.

“I heard you’re a consistent Dux. From primary, middle school, high school and even in University.”

“Where did you–”

“Sehun mentioned it to me.” He explains, recalling the time they spoke about it — minutes before he boarded. How did they get into that topic and why Sehun mentioned it? He’s not going to tell her… yet.

“Must’ve been Mina.” She mutters.

“You don’t sound very proud.” He notices but yes, Sehun said that Mina told him because she can’t hide how proud she is of her best-friend.

“It’s not really something I go around and tell everyone about.”

His eyebrow twitches and tilts his head slightly, “Why is that?”

“They just look and treat me differently and I don’t think I like that. They expect so much and they raise the bar of expectations too high. It’s too burdensome.” She doesn’t even want to think about the fact that there are some people waiting to see her fail – surely, it’ll be a show to watch.

“Everyone wishes to be you?” In some way, Jongin understands where she’s coming from. Though not being academically first or an achiever during his studying career, being a successful businessman, many are trying to take the position and company he worked hard for to establish and he keeps working hard for to grow and expand to the company’s best ability.

“No, not me, in particular. They wish to have my brain instead – my intelligence. Not me.”

Then, they are definitely on the same page – only different at the things people wish to take from them. With her, it’s her brain and intelligence. With him, it’s the money, position, power and the company. It’s not said to him directly but he knows. He’s more than smart enough to know. Though for now, there is absolutely no one that could take the spot from him. And he’ll continue to work for it to be that way for as long as he can.

It just really all goes down to the fact that good things come with bad and bad things come with… well, bad things. That’s what they both believe after experiencing the things they had throughout their life.

Truth to be told, without being a consistent ‘Dux’, Aeiyoung is hell damn sure that people won’t even notice and recognise her. Without having that title, she is just a passing wind, not mattering to anyone. And there have been times when she wished that she was never smart. Maybe, things for her would turn differently. Less painful, tragic and devastating. If only.

“Your parents are proud?” It’s high likely.

“They are.” She nods. “They both are equally.”

“What do your parents do? If you don’t mind me asking.”

“Not at all. So, my step-mum used to be a teacher then she was promoted as an assistant principal. Dad is a senior mechanic, the same time he’s the head taekwondo instructor in his own taekwondo school.” She answers.

“You get along with your step-mum well?” he asks, full of curiosity.

“Very. I owe everything to her. I’m lucky she gave me the love of a mother more than I deserve. She continues to love me like her own.”

Jongin mouth’s drops agape, stunned at the coincidences. For this one too, they’re the same.

Looking at his reaction, she asks, “Why?”

“I’m the same.” He confesses.

“With your step-mother?”

He nods.

Sipping from her cup of coffee, she looks at him with wide inquiring eyes, obviously filled up with curiosity now that he’s opened it. “Please give something away.”

Jongin smiles and speaks willingly, “Just like you, everything I am is mostly because of my step-mother. She gave me the love I never received from my birth mother. She’s more than like a step-mum to me – more than a birth mother to me.” As he finishes, she notices a decline in his tone but decides to overlook.

“What instances…” She says.

Though, Aeiyoung is curious what happened to his birth mother? Did she die like hers did? She wants to ask, but holds the thought. Maybe, if an opportunity comes again, maybe then she’ll ask.

“How do you like the omelette?”

“Great. Tasty.” He points towards the other dish, “Though, I like this one better.”

She giggles briefly, agreeing to him, “Me too.”

Jongin grabs a serviette to wipe his lips and the side of it. He loves the sound of her giggling. “Why order the omelette then?”

“Well, apart from the fact that I like it, I wanted to eat something while I make you try the Grilled Haloumi. I haven’t had breakfast.” She admits hesitantly.

His eyes suddenly darken in dismay but more of a worry. “It’s not very good skipping breakfast.”

She presses her lips in a hard line, “I… don’t usually do so. Do you?”

“Yes, I do. I rarely miss breakfast.”

“Well, isn’t this embarrassing?” She looks away with flushed cheeks, obviously embarrassed.

He curves his lips, not wanting to make her feel uncomfortable. “I just think it’s healthy to eat breakfast every day.”

“It is…” She agrees. “I just…” She’s out of words. “I usually forget.”

“Then, I’m glad I came to see you in the morning.” If not, then her stomach would’ve been empty until she decides whenever she’ll have her first meal later in the day. The thought isn't appealing.

“Am I taking much of your time?” She’s cautious. She doesn’t want to keep him from anything he has to do.

He looks at the time, “I still have half an hour left.”

“Oh, okay.” She nods.

They continue to finish their coffees and food left in the plates. It’s silent but not awkward or uncomfortable. Jongin can tell she’s more comfortable around him and he likes it as he is too. Now, they can look at each other and smile naturally without feeling awkward. He’s happy to think that though not completely, a big part of their ice wall finally melted.

It’s then when he remembers his mother’s words: Beautiful things take time.

Aeiyoung is beautiful. Very. Jongin thinks. He also thinks that she is just more than being beautiful.

“Thank you for that, Mr K– I mean, Jongin.” She says and clears when he sees him frown slightly. “Thank you, Jongin.” She says again, attempting to change that face to a smiling on.

“One day, you’ll get used to calling me that.” He trusts. “It takes time.”

She giggles, “It will take me a while.”

Jongin disagrees but smiling. “I don’t think so.” The lady doesn’t say anything to that. “I’m hoping to see you again.” He tells her honestly.

“I don’t see why not.” She replies.

“Can I walk you back?”

She shrugs. “If you like.”

He grins delightfully but the lady doesn’t see it as she’s already walking forward and he’s behind, walking after her.

 

By six o’ clock in the evening, Aeiyoung arrives home. She sits down the comfortable couch, leaning back with her head. It’s been a long day and quite tiring but could be worse. Though, she couldn’t say it’s that bad as when she closes her eyes, she sees the scenes that happened in the morning. She smiles at the memory.

Slowly, she sits up and reaches for her phone and gets in her hand the card that Jongin gave with his number on it. She leaves a message.

To: Kim Jongin
From: Ji Aeiyoung
Sent: Monday, 18:04

“This is Ji Aeiyoung. I messaged to thank you once again for the pleasant time this morning. I hope I did not waste your time.”

Two minutes later, her phone rings, notifying that there is a message.

To: Ji Aeiyoung
From: Kim Jongin
Sent: Monday, 18:06

“I’m glad you had a pleasant time, Aeiyoung. You most certainly did not waste my time. I’m still grateful for giving me a part of your morning.

Thank you for this message. It’s about time I have your number. Good night.”

Immediately, she replies.

To: Kim Jongin
Fr: Ji Aeiyoung
Sent: Monday, 18:07

“That’s good to hear. It was my pleasure.

You are welcome. And, I think it’s only fair for you to have it. I hope you a good night too.”

 

 

Aeiyoung is happy just as well as Jongin is.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

This chapter is slightly a shorter one compared to the first two ones but I don’t want to write long because I might give things away and I don’t think I can risk that. Hahaha!

There isn't much on this chapter but yeah, haha! Just a background of how Aeiyoung is like as an Event Coordinator, how her clients sess her and how Jongin is starting to apporach her. It's not much but to me, I feel like it needs to be here somewhere.

That’s all! Peace out.