Chapter Six

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Six

Jaein is outside Galileo just in time to what she and Aeiyoung agreed to. She presses her lips together as she enters the restaurant, looking for the lady. She spots her easily because almost everyone is with someone apart from three people. Two of which are ladies and the other one is a guy.

She brings her phone out and calls Aeiyoung. When she answers, her instincts are confirmed. Aeiyoung is really a beautiful lady with soft and very feminine features.

Jaein beams at the other lady as she lightly jogs her way towards her. “It’s so good to meet you!” she squeals.

Aeiyoung giggles. “It’s the same for me, Miss Kim.” She says, only causing for the other to roll her eyes.

“Please, I’d be really happy if you call me just by Jaein.” She requests. “This way, we can work comfortably together. Take the formalities away.”

“Okay. — So, let’s start.”

“Yeah, of course! Also, thank you for meeting me on the weekend. I’m just really excited.”

“No worries at all!” Aeiyoung assures and invites her to sit down.

She then presents all the materials that her team and Jongin discussed the day before. Jaein is stunned at how much is done, considering that was just the first meeting.

“Wow.” She gasps.

“Mr Kim have mentioned to me that he needs the help from you and your other sister.” She informs. “He’s also asking if you are happy with the theme he suggested. He thinks that it particularly mirrors Mrs Kim’s personality.”

Jaein hums. “It does, actually.” She flips over the papers. “I’m surprised that Jongin has got a third of the major things covered. I didn’t know he has got the touch when it comes to these things.”

Aeiyoung giggles. Jaein and Jongin have different personalities but they both have something similar that would tell everyone that they are siblings. Though, she would never understand what having siblings would feel like.

“For Mum’s dress for the night. I’m going to design that and get her to where it without her having any idea. Actually, my siblings got me to do it.” She pouts. She doesn’t even know why they would entrust her to doing their Mum’s dress for the night. Though, really, if she does it, it makes everything less obvious because it won’t be the first time she’s designing something for the queen of their family. She looks at the event coordinator, “Oh, I haven’t mentioned. I’m sorry. I study fashion in Paris. So, they made me do it.”

“Ah, yes. Jongin actually mentioned it to me.”

Jaein’s eyebrow creases. “He did?” she asks. “My brother, Kim Jongin, did? He mentioned about the family including me studying fashion in Paris?”

Aeiyoung bites her bottom lip. Was Jongin not supposed to? But he wouldn’t if his sister didn’t want anyone to know or if she isn’t supposed to know. “Uh, yes, he did.” She answers reluctantly.

The lady’s jaw drops ajar, speechless only managing to utter, “Wow.”

“I’m sorry. Is there something wrong—”

“Absolutely nothing! No,” she cuts. “I’m just surprised that my brother did talk about us, his family.” She explains. “He usually doesn’t. Every time we go clubbing, he doesn’t talk about himself or his family. Not that he is ashamed of us or anything. I guess, he just finds it very private to talk about.” Intrigue, she asks, “Where did you meet him?”

“At Sehun’s farewell party. His cousin is my best-friend.”

“Ah.” Jaein smirks and then thinks that she must be the lady that Jongin is being mysterious about. She’s caught his brother and she just can’t wait for the things that’s about to happen. Obviously, this lady is different for her brother. Recalling the happy grin that curved his brother’s lips when they were talking about this girl which happened to be her, she knows that he likes her — which is the first time. And so far, she can’t see why not.

“Miss…Kim.” She calls. “I mean, Jaein.” She corrects herself, breaking the other lady in her thoughts that’s making her all excited and happy inside. Finally, her brother found someone he’s actually interested in… or maybe even something more.

“Oh, yes.” She chuckles and clears . “I am going to leave the set up with you and we’ll go with the theme Jongin mentioned. I’m sure Sera would agree. Though, I suggest if you could put in the program where Mum and Dad would dance together? Just them, in the middle?”

“Of course, we can. That would be easy.”

“That makes it perfect, then.”

“Also…” Jaein and Aeiyoung continue to talk and cover the other details. Expressing her specifics with the event coordinator executing it the best way she can.

Compared to Jongin, the lady notices how Jaein is more particular and specific about how she’d like it to be. She didn’t want to gender-stereotype but perhaps because she’s a female so it’s more natural for her to be as such. It amazes Aeiyoung because as the lady is on top of it, she makes sure that it doesn’t conflict with her brother’s ideas, considering that he isn’t there to negotiate with.

After more than an hour of discussion, they decide to stop and talk about it again in another time. Aeiyoung is about to say goodbye as their business meeting have ended but Jaein stops her.

“Since we’re here, let’s chat more.” She says.

Her, having nothing to do for the rest of the day, agrees to stay. Socialise — as Mina always tells her. She gives her a nod, resulting for the other beam. She settles back in her sit, smiling back to Jaein. Then, they are suddenly filled with silence, urging the latter to say, “Thank you for accepting the favour from Jongin.”

“I’m glad to be part of it.” She returns. “It’s very heart-warming to see how you guys are so committed in making this surprise party for your mother come true.”

“We all owe it to her.” She answers, stirring her iced tea she ordered earlier with the straw. “Particularly Jongin and I.”

“Jongin mentioned to me that he’s her step-mother.” Aeiyoung says quietly. It’s no harm to say it, after all. She’s his sister.

Upon hearing so, Jaein falls into even deeper astonishment. Her brother talked to her to that depth? She knows how he hates to talk about it. He barely even mentions that their mother is his and Sera’s step-mother as he isn’t really fond of the past. That’s enough for to come to a point to think that this lady in front of her, this beautiful and smart lady, is just more than a lady to her brother — more than a lady he claims to be just interested in.

“That’s true.” She confirms.

Aeiyoung feels out-of-place to ask further about their family as it is a very sensitive and private topic. In response, she just nods her head and presses her lips together. She prompts a question instead, that only concerns her and Jongin. “I guess you and Jongin are very close?”

Jaein nods passionately. “We are! He became my playmate as soon as I came into the family. He’s the reason why I managed to speak again. So, ever since, we’re best of siblings and friends.” When she notices her confused look, she explains, “I’m adopted.”

Her jaw drops a little. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to—”

“It’s okay.” She smiles softly. “It’s a fact I never hid anyway.”

“Oh.” She looks down. She thinks to herself if she has crossed the line.

Jaein giggles. “It’s okay!” She reassures and voluntary tells her story with not even a tad of hesitation. “I was six when I came into the family. A little girl fresh from her parent’s death. My mother died from cancer while Dad fatally got into an accident at work couple months after. Then, I suffered from elective mutism. He’s twelve and Mum just got married to Dad. Mum said she saw me at the orphanage when she visited for charity. According to her, since then, I never got out of her mind. So, they adopted me and when I came into their home, Jongin was very welcoming. He played with me, although I wasn’t talking, he still continued to play with me. He didn’t treat me any different to how a loving and caring brother would be to his little sister. Until it came to the point I started talking again and became unstoppable ever since.” She chuckles. "Then, we grew up together — of course, with him being protective as ever.”

Hearing that story, Aeiyoung got an impression that their family is a beautiful and happy family. They were all raised to be kind, cordial, and loving people. As she speaks, it all sounded that their family is perfect. No drama — something she wish she had since the moment she was born.

Jaein, on the other hand, did not hesitate to tell that side of her story or their story as a family. Jongin has always been a good judge of people and if he told her as far as being their mother is his step-mother then, it is clear to her that he has some amount of trust to her. And, talking to her for the past hour or so, she can tell why. It isn’t hard to figure. So, if Jongin trusts her, how could she not?

“Thank you for telling me that.” She says sincerely.

“You’re welcome.” She smiles fondly.

“You mentioned you’re doing fashion?”

“Yes, I do! I love it!” Jaein goes on talking all about her journey from trying so many different things, pursuing many different careers over the years only to find out and realise that fashion and fashion designing is for her.

Aeiyoung gives her fair share by sharing some casual stories of events she has done in the past, her filtered and some unfiltered opinions about some of her clients, the stress and fulfilment she and her whole team goes through, as well as some stories about herself.

Slightly after the sun has set, they decide to part and rest, definitely seeing each other again.

“It’s so nice talking to you.” Jaein says sincerely as they exit out of Galileo.

“It’s the same for me.”

“We’ll certainly see each other again. Out of business.” In other words, Jaein had a great she wants to see her Aeiyoung in a casual hang-out.

 

Jongin arrives at the penthouse the same time Jaein arrived. She greets her brother with a cheeky grin. The male is momentarily confused to the expression he sees, until it gets to him that she met that lady he likes.

“So, you met her?” He asks, taking his tie off and handing his blazer and bag to Mikyeong.

“I most certainly did.” She answers.

“And…?”

Jaein crosses her arms with an amused smile. “She’s very professional.” She tells him and from that, he knows she’s teasing him. But he lets her finish. “Stunning, beautiful, friendly, cordial, smart…”

“Jaein.”

“Okay, I like her!” She declares. Despite the teasing, all the qualities she mentioned are true. “I can see why you do as well. And in a very romantic way.”

Jongin softly breaks into a pleased and happy smile.

“I would love to meet her more often!” She exclaims. “I might meet her while you’re in Singapore and reveal your embarrassing secrets to her.”

He chuckles. “You like her that much?”

“How can I not?” she questions and asks another question in a more calmed tone. “Have you told her you like her?” She earns a nod. “And…?”

“I can’t rush her, Jae.” He tells her. “But I’m willing to wait.”

The lady pokes the inside of her cheek with her tongue, giving him an amused smile. “Wow, you really like her so much, don’t you?” Though she’s completely aware, she just couldn’t believe. She feels ecstatic that finally, her brother has fallen in love. Yes, it’s love. She can see it in his eyes.

Jongin doesn’t answer but the blush in his cheeks does. He takes a deep breath and asks, “Are you staying over?”

“Yeah, I’ll leave in the morning.” Seeing her brother like this, Jaein is just in bliss.

“Okay.” He answers, trying to hide what he’s feeling. “Gyo will take you.”

“Of course, he would!” She says sarcastically. It’s not like he would let her refuse.

 

After finishing refreshing up, Aeiyoung picks her phone up to read the message Mina has sent her. She smiles at herself as she reads every sort of her messages — just basically relaying everything that is running through her head and all that is happening. In times like this, Aeiyoung is Mina’s human live diary.

When she’s finished, she replies once telling her that by the looks of it, she’s having lots of fun and that Chanyeol’s mother seems to like her very much. Aeiyoung is glad that things have turned well for her best-friend. Though, she doubted it wouldn’t because, who wouldn’t love her best-friend? That’s just impossible.

When she’s done, she goes to Jongin’s contact and leaves a message.

To: Kim Jongin
From: Ji Aeiyoung
Sent: Friday, 20:23

“Your sister is such a lovely girl. It excites me to know that I’ll be working with such people for a such touching event. I’ll keep you updated with the progress.

I hope you have a good night, Mr Kim.”

She takes off her bedroom slippers, and turns the lamp shade off. Just when her body relaxes, ten minutes later, her phone rings with a message.

To: Ji Aeiyoung
From: Kim Jongin
Sent: Friday, 20:33

“Again, with the Mr Kim.

I can’t wait for the time when you call me Jongin naturally, with you feeling awkward about it.

And yes, Jaein likes you very much. I’m glad you had a pleasant time with her. She can’t wait to meet you again. Have a good night, Aeiyoung.”

Only after she finishes reading the message when she realises that she called him ‘Mr Kim’. She scolds herself for doing so. She quickly messages him with an apology, feeling stupid and dumb for doing so.

Once Jongin receives her message, he shakes his head fondly. He’s so tempted to tell her that he can’t wait to see her soon but he doesn’t wish to make the girl feel uncomfortable. He’s going to take it slow if he has to, anything for her.

He breaks off his current thoughts when his phone vibrates, showing up Sehun’s name.

“Fancy of you calling…” he glances at his watch, “at around half past seven in the morning there in Boston.”

Sehun chuckles. “Well, how rare of you answering this time there.” His best-friend doesn’t answer, making him ask the question which is the real reason why he called. “So, how are you going with Aeiyoung?”

Jongin frowns in confusion.

“If you think for a second that I’m going to shrug that time you asked questions about her, you are dead wrong.”

He rolls his eyes. “I knew it.” He hisses.

“I’m your best-friend for more than eighteen years, Jongin. You wouldn’t ask like that if it’s just nothing.” He reminds, as if he forgot how long it has been and that what he said isn’t a fact. “How is she? Do you like her?”

Jongin leans back on his leather swivel chair, sitting behind his desk at his study. “Is like even the right word?” He asks quietly, particularly to no one.

“This is the first time I hear you talk this and seen you act like that. You weren’t even like this when she happened — or more like, when it happened. You were never curious about her, neither you cared how she’s doing. Well not until later, then it all went downhill.”

“Se–”

“I’m just pointing out that you have become somewhat different ever since you met Aeiyoung at my club.”

Jongin silences. It’s true. Although, he’s always been there for his best-friend, he never really sent Sehun off at the airport every time he left for overseas. In fact, he’s surprised himself, just like how Sehun was, when he found his feet walking through the international airport at the departure area on that Sunday morning, just before for the latter’s departure.

“You only met her once yet, she made you do that much.” He further points.

When Sehun was asked about Aeiyoung by his best-friend, he suddenly became hopeful. Hopeful, that maybe, after all this time, his cousin’s best-friend would be the way for him to forget the past and forgive himself and her. He’s been wanting to do that, or at least he has been waiting to see for that time to happen. At one point, he realised that it isn’t something he can’t do. But he still tried, he continued to try despite not knowing how, because at that time, if not him, who will?

If only he knew that Aeiyoung’s presence would be auspicious, that she will bring change to him with a time so little (as of the moment), then he would’ve introduced the lady to him sooner. He wouldn’t have wasted so much of his best-friend’s time in getting him to socialise and meet women who could alleviate his grief, his misery and ameliorate his heart to be able to love and deserving enough to receive it back.

Sure, it’s so soon to tell that this lady, named Ji Aeiyoung, would be Jongin’s the one, his cure or however the universe would want to call it, after twenty-seven long years. But, would it be so wrong of him to be hopeful and roseate about it. He just wants the best for Jongin after everything he’s gone through. He deserves to be happy just as much as he should be loved.

“That much…” Jongin repeats. He thinks to himself, has he really done that much?

If he’s to go back to who he was the year before and the last nine years of that, then definitely, what he’s done is much. But he asks himself, has he really done much for Aeiyoung? It is difficult for him to determine when first, everything feels foreign to him — what he’s doing, what he’s feeling and second, he barely knows her apart from the fact that she’s having a hard time calling him ‘Jongin’ casually, she yearns to try out some outdoor activities, she loves White Haven’s, she’s a brilliant, intelligent student and event coordinator, and that like him, she owes from her step-mother.

“Jongin.” Sehun calls, noticing how his best-friend has become less of his words.

“Sehun.” He says back, letting him know he’s still in the line, listening despite being in his own thoughts.

“How are you going with her? Have you approached her?” He asks. “Have you made a move?”

“It isn’t that easy, Sehun.” He exhales. “Aeiyoung is not like any girl I met in clubs or bars — or anywhere. I want to wait for her…” He says, recalling the time she confessed she’s scared. “…when she’s ready. Because at this point,” he realises, “I don’t just want to get her heart. I want to earn it. I want to be deserving for it.”

Maybe in our lives, he thinks, there would really come a time when someone comes who would make you feel lost, disoriented, new yet liking and willingly pursuing it because it is far from being astray. For once, Jongin thinks, he has now a sense of purpose. Maybe, he isn’t bound to be ed up after all.

Hearing those words from him, Sehun lets out a relieved heart. Relaxed and contended, he tells him encouragingly, “Earn it.” He pauses, “Then one day, you’ll realise you are deserving of her heart and, she will, too.”

Jongin can only let out a small smile.

“I have to go.” Sehun bids. “I have someone to meet in ten minutes.”

“Go ahead.” He says before hanging up the call.

He places his phone down on his desk, beside his laptop, over his documents and hovers both of his hands on the back of his neck with his head down.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

short chap, yo!

Not satisfied but...... yeah.

Edit: Also, I would like to thank you guys for the kind words you left from the previous chapters. Y'all are so sweet!

 

But, I don't think I deserve it. Haha, we're not even in the middle yet and I'm scared you guys would be so disappointed. Please don't expect too much, it's for your sake too. No expectations, no disappointments, right?