Chapter Seven

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Seven

Wednesday morning, Mina dashes out of her room, in complete rush as she hastily puts on her pump heels. She leans her hand against the wall by the hallway and notices Aeiyoung approaching her with an intrigued gaze.

“Are you late or something?”

Mina groans. “I completely forgot I have a presentation to do at seven-thirty. I can’t believe this is happening to me.”

Aeiyoung glances at the clock. It’s already ten past seven. Sipping her cup of coffee, she advises with a teasing tone, “Don’t get into an accident. You’re still cooking for me tonight, you promised.” The other lady makes an angry pout but to her best-friend, it looks cute and adorable. “I don’t want to rush to the hospital, Mina.” She giggles. “Good luck to your presentation. Sure, you’ll do really well — despite being a tick late.”

Mina is fully aware that her best-friend is serious despite the cheekiness in her tone. But, at the moment, she’s just really anxious to get there on time. Succeeding in the presentation would mean higher chances of being promoted so she can’t really mess this up. She decides to get back at Aeiyoung later, when all the fuss is finished and her level of stress is down.

“Hey,” the relaxed lady calls, “your keys!” Mina turns as she sees her car keys flying in arch line. She catches it, hearing words of encouragement, “You’ll do great. You need to relax.”

“Are you not going to work?” She asks her. It’s already past seven yet, the latter is still in her pyjamas.

“I’m not due until nine.” She informs and urges her, “Hey, go now! I don’t want you to be any later. What are you doing?”

She snaps back. “I’ll see you tonight! Wish me luck!” She says as she runs out of the door.

Aeiyoung smiles fondly and whispers, “Good luck.”

From Sunday ‘till Monday, all the way until now, Aeiyoung has been doing nothing but her work. Now, she’s handling four events at once and she’s fully aware it is too much for her and for her team. But as time pass, the more work gets done, and the load will eventually get lighter. Thus, she has no choice but to get no rest if she wants to preserve the trust and faith her clients gave to her. After all, she won’t accept the job if she knows it will be impossible to handle. For now, she doesn’t plan to accept any more events until all the four pending events are finished. She doesn’t intend to continually stress her team out. They deserve to relax and be at ease at some point.

Over that time, Aeiyoung hasn’t heard anything from Jongin. She only keeps contact with Reya, being his executive assistant and Jaein for every progress or verification she needs before proceeding. She makes the effort to message him before his business trip to Singapore, during and even after it. But she hasn’t gotten any responses back at all. She wonders if she'll ever get one directly from him. The only responses she got were the professional emails from his executive assistant, regarding the event she’s handling for him. But other than that, there’s nothing at all.

She thinks to himself whether the male already got tired of her somewhere in between the days that have passed. Maybe, being away, he realised that a girl like her is not worth pursuing. With the thought, her heart clenches but it wasn’t like she could blame him either.

Perhaps, she thought, it’s better to stop when it’s still early — at a time when both have barely invested much of their feelings. Because then, it hurts less, so moving on would be easier; or even if there is such thing as that with their relationship that hardly existed.

Half past eight, Aeiyoung heads towards the showground where the upcoming Trade Fair would be held, due the day after. Her team welcomes her and gives her the brief of what has been done, what is currently being done and after it. She nods and her eyes wonder around. It’s quarter finished but all is good. They have plenty of time so she doesn’t stress over it. Looking over the set-up so far, she decides to make minor changes that are necessary.

Four in the afternoon, she looks at her phone, only to see that there’s still no messages from him, even after another message sent to him earlier. She feels dumb for still expecting, for having at least a little bit of hope that maybe it’s nothing like what she thinks, that maybe, he just happens to be heavily busy. Is it fool of her to think so?

By six in the evening, she arrives home, finding Mina by the kitchen, preparing a full course dinner like she promised the day before. She manages to give a small smile and changes from her working outfit to something homey before offering a hand.

But Mina refuses, telling her that she’s nearly finished anyway. Instead, she tells her to sit down and relax. Aeiyoung doesn’t argue and does what she said lifelessly and the latter doesn’t miss it.

When she sits down, her best-friend glances up and asks, “How was your presentation?”

“Great. I did very well.” She smiles, still not missing the look in her eyes. “They told me I might get the promotion.”

“Oh,” She pauses, “that’s great.”

That answer urges her to ask, “What happened?”

Aeiyoung takes a deep breath and attempts to brighten herself up. Her best-friend has already noticed. How could she be so transparent? She gazes at the table and says, “Wow, you prepared so much. Is anyone coming to join us?”

“Ji Aeiyoung.” She calls sternly with a serious but concerned gaze. “I know you inside and out. I know you probably more than you know yourself. Tell me, what’s wrong?”

The lady helplessly shakes her head. With a heavy heart, she tells her assumption. “I just think he’s tired of me.”

Mina frowns. She knows who she’s referring to. “Why would you say that?” She asks in pain. Pain for her best-friend.

“Mina, he barely knows me. We barely know each other. No wonder after I told him I’m scared that I’m not ready, he’s going to lay it off. Especially, he’s been away and he realised that there are other girls out there actually worth liking. Because who would pursue a girl like me?” She questions. “And him… He’s Kim Jongin. Who wouldn’t like or even love him?”

Mina shakes her head, strongly opposing her thoughts. “No, Aeiyoung, listen to me.” She reaches to hold her hand and squeezes it. “Love doesn’t work that way.” She starts. “Who cares about the people who likes Jongin? It is not them whom he likes. He told you himself.” She reminds, “He told you he likes you, didn’t he?”

Aeiyoung nods.

“Then why don’t you just trust that? I’ve met Jongin a couple of times. Sehun doesn’t talk a lot about him but whenever I see him, I can’t help but scrutinize him. He has this mysterious vibe and I can’t help but do so. — Over those encounters, I know he’s a man of his word so until he tells you otherwise, why don’t you just believe in him?” She squeezes her hand tighter. “Have faith in him and in yourself too. Stop thinking so low of yourself… you are worth loving, Aeiyoung. When will you realise that?”

The lady wipes the tear that escapes from her eyes, keeping her head down. She tries her best to smile. “I just ruined the entire mood, didn’t I?” she asks, though not needing an answer. “I’m sorry.”

“No, you didn’t.” Mina pats her hand. “I can make you laugh again and forget all those worries. Just watch.” She winks. “For now, try this but wipe that tear off your face. I really tried my hardest making it.” She says, a little over too dramatic. “If you’re going to cry, might as well cry over how delicious this is.”

Aeiyoung giggles with her eyes a little wet as her best-friend offers the main dish she worked hard cooking.

“Is this a new recipe you learned from Chanyeol’s Mum?”

Mina hums, “One of the two.”

“Oh,” she chuckles, although it sounded quite dryly due to her parched throat.

The night goes on like that with Mina brightening up the night with her hilarious and crazy stories that happened during the day and other details she forgot to mention during her out-of-town trip for her boyfriend’s mother.

Doing that, Aeiyoung’s negative thoughts is pushed at the back of her head; until they continue to laugh during dinner and while they are doing the dishes together.

Aeiyoung takes that opportunity to mention that her parents are coming over the weekend which only made Mina squeal in excitement and is very much enthusiastic about it.

“Okay, you might get to try the second recipe Chan’s Mum taught me.”

“Wow, you learned so much in that trip.”

“I did.” She cheers proudly. “And oh my, I can’t wait for your parents to try it!”

Aeiyoung titters. Mina’s reaction is no surprise but her amusement can’t be helped. She realised this long before: Mina isn’t just her best-friend anymore. She’s her sister.

 

The next morning goes on like usual and at seven, Aeiyoung is already at the venue, supervising the event set-up and everything that needs to be taken care of. She keeps herself busy by looking everything over. She’s relieved that two hours before the expo starts, they’re finished. She breaths in relief.

“It’s all done.” Nara reports as she holds her hands together satisfied. “We’re done, Ms Aeiyoung.”

Aeiyoung nods, and looks around once again. “Finally, one event off our list.”

Nara is joined with the rest of the team, breathing in relief with satisfied and relaxed smile after the busy hours. The Trade expo starts with more and more people coming in but well accommodated, thanks to their team leader’s advance thinking. Aeiyoung has expected that a lot of people are going to come considering it is the country’s biggest trade expo of the year.

An hour and half later, she instructs her people again to get the first talk of the event ready. Everything is set and done on their part and she expects the event to finish smoothly and successfully as planned.

“Miss Aeiyoung, someone is looking for you.” Nara approaches.

The lady turns around and notices a familiar figure walking behind the event assistant. Her brows briefly furrow in confusion.

“Miss Ji.” The man greets formally.

“It’s Gyo, isn’t it?” she asks. The older male confirms it by nodding his head. Aeiyoung wonders what he’s doing at the event because as far as she remembers, J.KEH, the company itself isn’t part of the exhibition so it is less likely that he, particularly, Kim Jongin, would be here for that reason. Unless, their subsidiary is part of it. Though, what would be the CEO, the far and very most important person, doing in a place like this?

“Mr Kim would like to see you.” He informs.

Aeiyoung falls into more confusion and then she hears the voice she’s been longing to hear for nearly a week.

“Will you?” She turns to her side and sees Jongin standing about two meters away. Stunned, she doesn’t utter any word as he walks closer, too dashingly, asking, “Will you come and see me?”

Aeiyoung holds her breath, still shocked, wondering if she’s dreaming or hallucinating. After what seemed like forever, she says softly, as in a whisper, “You’re here.”

Jongin chuckles quietly. “Of course, I am.”

The lady hardly snaps out of her dazed self and stutters, recalling all her doubts and worries, “I thought… I thought…”

As if he knows what going inside her head, he tells her, “I’m sorry for not calling you or messaging you. I came here to let you know I haven’t given up yet. I don’t think I will ever.”

“Where were you?” Overwhelmed, she’s so close to her tears but she holds it back. “I know you were in Singapore but…” She wants to ask why he hasn’t kept contact but it’s stuck inside .

“I was busy preparing something.” He explains vaguely.

“Preparing what?”

“Something for you.” He answers, voice like honey. It’s too sweet in her ears.

“What is it?” She continues to ask.

“That,” He pauses, “I would need you to come with me.”

Aeiyoung looks away and around as people are busy doing their own thing. She worries over her duties. “I have this to look after. I can’t go until it finishes.”

“It’s been taken care of.”

Instantly, she looks at him. “What? How?”

“I personally talked to the event planner in your team. She has certainly assured that everything is fine. I can take you to come with me. If you will…” He looks at her with begging-like eyes, “Please?”

“But—”

“I missed you, Aeiyoung. I missed you a lot.” He expresses sincerely and she feels her heart stop.

Speaking of which, her event planner approaches politely. “Miss Ji, don’t worry. Everything is good. I can take care of the rest from here.” She reassures and nodding with a smile towards her and to Jongin. “Please have a good time.” She requests, smiling before walking off.

Jongin curves his lips in a small convex line when the lady turns to him. “Please?”

“Okay.”

He beams and reaches to hold her hand. He nods his head, a cue for Gyo, who straightaway heads towards the car. Jongin turns back to the girl he hopes to call mine, “Let’s go?” He asks, earning a shy nod from her.

They reach the driveway before the entrance of the showground, finding his driver opening the car for them prior heading towards the driver seat. He smoothly drives off as Aeiyoung keeps quiet at the same time keeping her eyes on Jongin. She still feels like she’s dreaming.

“When did you arrive back?” she asks.

“Last night.” He answers, looking straight into her eyes. Then, he asks the question he’s been curious of, “Did you miss me?”

Aeiyoung looks away, hesitant to answer his question. All this while, she thought that he’s given up. So, showing himself just then, out of the blue, is overwhelming and shocking for her. But in a good way — in a very good way. But above all, she’s relieved and comforted — to see him like that, walking towards her with a smile she’s always charmed and have inevitably melted with.

He gets anxious as the silence drags on. He opens his mouth to say something when she looks back up at him. “I did.” She tells him, eyes glowing with longing and sincerity. “I did.” She repeats.

It is then when Jongin ears perks up, feeling his heart beat in a rapid pace as he feels himself slightly heating up. She did miss him just like he missed her. It’s music in his ears. Aeiyoung missed him.

Perhaps, the four days of disappearance did both of them good. Maybe, it’s indeed a good but tormenting choice to refrain himself getting into contact with her. He badly wanted to hear her voice while he was away, overseas. But, it was because of that, that he’s able to find out that he had the slightest chance with her. Albeit even if he got none, he will still pursue. He can’t even think of giving up; of giving her up.

Just that, it’s nice to hear that she did miss him. He feels euphoric.

“I’m glad.” He says with a calm voice, though inside, it’s nothing like such.

Aeiyoung looks out the window and realises they are driving in the expressway. She turns to him, “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see.” He smiles but it appears mysterious yet thrilling for her.

An hour later, they stop at a place where a peaceful and exclusive marina is seen with countable harboured different kind of yachts — lesser than the usual hundreds. Aeiyoung gets an immediate impression, just by looking out the window, that it is a very private and high-class marina where only selective grand elites are welcome and accommodated.

She gets off the car, gaping at the beautiful and breathtaking sight. Jongin appears before her with a rather sanguine smile. “Do you like it?” he asks.

How can she not? She’s never been in a place like this before. Nor she has gotten a glance of it all her life. It is all new and foreign to her — only natural to be taken aback in astonishment.

Though she did not come from an affluent background like how Jongin seems to appear to her, her family was never hungry but also, never in her life had she imagined to get a sight of what she’s is now currently seeing right before her eyes.

“I’m…” she starts. “I think I’m too stunned to speak.” Curious, she queries, “Why are we here?”

Anxiously, he returns a question, “I was wondering if you would mind boarding into the yacht with me?”

Flustered, Aeiyoung looks around and catches the sight of three men, one middle-aged man and two other men who appears to be slightly younger standing by his side. They are all standing with their hands crossed in straight posture, dressed in mainly pearly white long-sleeved polo with a particular design embroidered and bottomed with black slacks — patiently waiting next to a white, contemporary and stylish four-level yacht.

“Your yacht?” she asks softly in disbelief.

Jongin simply gives a nod, then he turns to look at her eyes for answers. “So…?”

“What…” Aeiyoung begins. “I’m curious, what are we going to do in the yacht?”

He smiles. At least, she’s considering it. “Watch the sunset, dinner, relax, get to know more of each other, rest, breakfast and maybe what's into the way.” He lists vaguely.

She widens her eyes as her jaw drops ajar, “We’re staying overnight here?”

He nods again. For the days he hasn’t seen her, he hopes this is enough to make up.

Oh no. She has nothing with her. No clothes, or personal toiletries. She’s only got her bag which had her purse, her phone and daily planner.

Seeing the worry in her eyes, he tells her, “Don’t worry. I got Gyo to take care of the things I thought you would need.’

“How?”

“He’s got some new clothes for you and everything else you’ll need overnight.” He explains, the right corner of his lip tugging up a little. “Thanks to Mina.”

She tilts her head, “Mina?”

“Your best-friend knows you really well.” He comments.

Aeiyoung is still lost but by what she’s heard so far, it’s enough to fill her up. “Oh…” Then she gives him a firm look, “Okay.”

Is this a date? A romantic date? A friendly date? She has no idea but whatever it is, it really didn’t matter to her at all. Apart from the fact that Jongin has already prepared that much, she also wants to spend and make up for the days neither of them talked to each other. For once, her doubts and fears are slightly lower than the level of urge to get to know him and give the chance he has. She just missed him so much.

“You don’t have to say ‘Yes’ because everything is all set up. I can cancel all of it. I don’t want to force you.”

She shakes her head. “You’re not. I’d like to go.” She gives him a reassuring smile.

What he had said made Aeiyoung feel more positive that Jongin won’t do anything inappropriate. For all the times she met him, he never acted anywhere near indecency. After all, the male has always secured her safety and comfort whenever they are together. Hence, if all his deeds were genuine then nothing like what she fears will happen. She recalls what Mina told her the night before: to trust and have faith him — and she will. She’ll do that.

Jongin slips his hand into the lady’s and both stroll down through the wooden dock, heading towards the luxurious and classy yacht she eyed on earlier. He takes a step forward when they reach there to formally greet the man in the middle. “Mr Ho.”

“Mr Kim.” He smiles and shakes the hand the younger male offered, introducing the other two males who works with him. “They are the best candidates, Sir.”

He has no doubts. When it comes to his boats, Mr Ho is someone he trusts the most. “I’d like you to meet Ji Aeiyoung, a special friend of mine.” He introduces while withdrawing his hand. “Aeiyoung, meet Mr Ho Kasang.” The lady politely nods the older man, acknowledging him. “How is she?”

She’s momentarily confused at his question but figures she’s referring to the yacht when Mr Ho answers, “She’s very well and at her best condition, Sir. No problem at all.”

“That’s good, then. I appreciate your hard work.” Jongin says with an appreciative and polite smile.

“Enjoy the cruise. Everything has been prepared.” He informs.

“Thanks, again.”

“A pleasure.” He responds before heading inside to prepare to cruise.

Aeiyoung turns to him and curiously asks, “You named her, right?”

“Yeah.” He answers. “Her name’s The Aurora.”

“The Aurora…” she repeats. “The Dawn.” She mumbles to herself but Jongin catches it.

He can’t help but beam, “That’s right. The Dawn.” He says, tone, so soft and warm.

“Wow…” She utters in awe.

“Shall we?” He offers his hand, gesturing to get on board.

Aeiyoung places her hand on top of his. She safely climbs inside his yacht with Jongin assisting her carefully.

“Let’s go inside.” He invites.

They walk further inside the pleasure boat and sees that within its breathtaking exterior design, is a stunning and magnificent interior with captivating features. So far in her life, she only had idea what such boats look like inside mainly through movies and some documentaries. But the feeling is very different when it is right before her eyes. She feels like she’s inside a beautiful dream but realises that she’s in a surreal reality.

She looks around being welcomed with the vast and roomy lounge area, its interior designed going with the colour motif of light shades of beige, giving off a bright, neutral but elegant and classy look. The area is brightly lit with a wall mounted sixty-five-inch curved TV, four round heavenly soft fabric couches, which are evenly spaced out with mini circular glass tables in between. The design is florid, elegant and sleek — pure pleasure in the eyes.

Close to it, is the bar with its walls matching the lounge, beige rough texture with glossy finish. It has a curved counter with five high bar stool in shade of gold. As they walk further, reveals a shiny metallic gold, unbelievably huge kitchen and the dining area accommodating up to eight people.

Jongin takes her to her suite, unveiling a king-sized bed with its head rest attached on the walls from the ceiling and down, another large sofa on the side with a vanity and a wardrobe filling up the entire one side of the room, having mirrors as its doors and a massive marble bathroom. The design matches the colour motif and concept of its overall interior. Then, he shows her his very own suite, pointing towards its direction. She assumes it to be the master suite.

“Oh, and if you’re wondering where your clothes and other necessities are… They are in the wardrobe in your suite. It’s all organised in there.” He informs.

“This is too much…” she comments.

Everything she’s seen so far gives her an impression that this whole yacht is a floating mansion. It’s so big, aristocratic, stylish and just breathtaking.

Jongin shakes his head but understands, “I want you comfortable.” He grabs her hand again and leads her outside. It’s then when Aeiyoung realises they are moving. She could barely feel it. There, reveals a spacious deck facing the wide ocean front, a pool and hot tub, another squared shape lounge area but this time mostly in white colours, seats wrapped in authentic leather and another dining area. It also has an outdoor beach club with its own balcony and a helipad.

“You build this?” She asks.

The male chuckles, “Well, I got some naval architects to give me some hand. This yacht is personal to me.”

“Must be…” She mumbles, still in disbelief that she has her feet stepping over something like that.

“Let’s go back up. Sunset is coming soon.”

Aeiyoung nods and walks to the staircase at the side, setting foot on the large deck (but not as large as the one in the lower area) and puts her hand above the railing. There, she sees a wider view of the ocean and sunset line with combined beautiful colours of blue, purple and pink. She gasps at the mesmerising and fascinating sight.

Him, standing beside her, looks down and watches the lady in awe and satisfaction. Then, he looks ahead to watch the sun set with her.

Jongin is doing this with no intentions of showing off or buying her feelings. He just thought that this the only way he could express himself and what he feels towards her — making up for the days or times he missed to get to talk to her.

Ever since that phone call with Sehun, he realises that what he’s feeling towards her is actually a lot deeper than he thought. And, being new to things like romance, Jongin didn’t know how else he could express himself but to make use of all of what he has and what he can do. Maybe, this way, Aeiyoung would see and be convinced of what he feels for her. That, he’s not joking. He’s not playing around or making her just a simple past time.

He’s aware that there’s a lot more to know about her and her to him, but he’s going to be the at-the-moment type of person. He likes her, and he’s not going to deny it… not again. It’s foolish to make the same mistake twice, he thought.

“That’s stunning~.” She says softly after watching the horizon for so long. She turns to him, “Don’t you think so?”

“Very.” He responds, looking ahead before looking back at her.

Aeiyoung smiles. “Thank you for letting me see and experience this.”

“We’re just at the beginning.” Letting the lady react to that, he asks, “Hungry?”

And that’s when she notices that a candlelight dinner is prepared behind them. She wonders for how long she has been looking out in the wild and just how mesmerised was she to not even notice what was going on. Around her are soft white lights that lighted up the place.

“Tempted.”

Jongin grins and tilts his head towards the set-up, “Let’s go.”


AUTHOR's NOTE:

Only proofread this once. Be understanding with the mistakes haha, I'm hungry and I need to eat but I wanted to post this first!

Like I said in the previous chapter on the author's note section, keep your expectation low to none. Haha, I'm just a beginner and I don't want you guys to have high hopes then get disappointed in the end.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, and more to come!