Chapter Thirty

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Thirty

Saturday, eleven in the morning, Jongin is standing by the VIP arrival area at the international airport, waiting for his girl.

He upgraded her flight back to first class, not having it any less for her. She only agreed to it because she did not let him do that on the way there to Germany. He just wants what’s best for her and if he has the means to do it, he’ll do it. Anything for her. Aeiyoung has figured that much in the nearing year of their relationship.

As soon as he sees a glimpse of his lady, he walks towards her, not wasting any moment but Aeiyoung has already herself sprinting towards him, throwing herself to Jongin, who quickly catches her, lifting her off the ground.

Jongin makes a sound at the back of his throat but wraps his arms around her tight. As tight as it is for Aeiyoung’s frame against his strong, well-built physique and his broad shoulders, she likes the tightness of it. It’s expressing so much of how he missed her when she was gone.

For the four days they were away and separated from each other, it was completely harder than they both had imagined. The numbered voice calls, quick video calls, and messages they exchanged weren’t enough to suffice how much they have longed for each other. Given their busy and hectic schedule, it did not stop them from wanting to see each other as soon as possible.

Having the lady inside his warm embrace, Jongin snuggles his head on the crook of her neck, inhaling the scent he had missed so much. “I missed you.” He whispers. “I missed you so much.”

“I missed you just as much.” She says back sincerely, hugging him tighter as she clutches his dress shirt into her fist.

“Let me look at your face.” Jongin says, putting both of his palms on both sides of her jaw to look at her countenance. Aeiyoung flickers her gaze to meet Jongin’s as he studies her features carefully, reminding himself of what he had not seen personally for days. It’s only four days they were away physically away from each other but it felt so long for him. He wonders if he’ll ever get used to her being away from him, to think that there will be times he would need to be away too for business trips— but then, it was just really different when Aeiyoung was the one away. It felt different.

Getting enough for the minute, Jongin breathes out and the lady would’ve panicked if not for the feeling of his full lips pressing against her glabella.

“Am I yours for the entire weekend like you promised?” She asks when he pulls away.

“Forever, sweetheart.” He corrects. “I’m changing that promise to forever.”

And Jongin isn’t kidding as in those moments, he makes a vow to take this very lady before him as his wife. Soon. Very soon.

 

 

“Chanyeol, please relax.” Jongin’s girlfriend chastises. “Breathe.”

The tall male does what he’s told. He breathes in and out, trying to release all the tension and jitteriness he’s feeling inside. It’s been sixteen days since Aeiyoung came back from Germany, and since then, the lady, along with his circle of friends including Jongin and Sehun, has been helping him execute his romantic proposal for Mina.

Aeiyoung gives her boyfriend and his best-friend a combination of exasperated and fond look, silently asking for help to calm the male down as her sister from another mother is coming in less than half an hour.

Everything is ready, the lights, the audio, the three massive LED screen displays, the set up, and the whole plan is going as arranged and as scheduled. Chanyeol’s friends are just doing the final checks and after that they are to hide at the gazebo in the dark, out of sight for the couple, particularly for Mina to see.

Both Jongin and Sehun smirks before strolling towards the agitated male. The fairer male hands him a stem of his cousin’s favourite flower. Aeiyoung’s boyfriend pats him the shoulder as a first step for the mission to calm him down before the lady he hopes to spend the rest of his life with arrives.

Aeiyoung nods at them as their eyes meet and steps to walk off and be at the front of the venue to welcome her best-friend. On the way, she meets Chanyeol’s friend who are excited and assured her that everything is okay and ready to go. She smiles, delighted to hear that and continues her way to the entrance.

“Mina.” She greets upon answering the phone call, looking around to see if her car is anywhere in sight.

“Okay… So I’m a bit lost…” The female on the other line admits, slightly anxious. “The GPS is deciding not to work on me of all times.” She mutters, “When smartphones don’t decide to be so smart.”

Aeiyoung laughs. “Seriously?” She hears a grunt and purses her lips. “Okay, so where are you? Like what do you see?”

Mentioning the street and describing her surrounding makes it easier for the lady at the venue to help her navigate the location. “You should be here by five minutes. I’m out to meet you.” She informs. “If not, I’ll get Jongin to ask Gyo to find you.”

“I don’t understand why your boyfriend decides to have this double date in a place that’s like two hours drive away from town.”

“Well, Jongin offered to take you and your boyfriend.” She reminds.

“But, remember? I have to work over time. And Chanyeol is the same. It would’ve taken a longer time if we go together because I was sent to a location.”

“Has he messaged you his whereabouts yet?” She asks.

“Nope.” She sighs. “The last I received was when he was on his way. He’s still probably driving.”

“He’ll be here soon.” She comforts. “For now, drive here and,” She decides to tease again, “call me again if you really lost your sense of direction so you can be picked up.”

“Oh my gosh!” Mina pouts but silently liking how playful her best friend is becoming. This could possibly be as playful and cheeky as she can get but she won’t deny she likes it. Hence, she won’t stop her. Aeiyoung has slightly became more carefree, letting go a small part of her overall reserved personality. She loves it. “Fine. Be there in five. I still remember the directions you told me.”

“Okay, I’ll see you then.” She says, hanging up the phone call, leaving Mina with her mission to find the venue Chanyeol personally picked for his proposal for her.

Jongin goes out, leaving the man, who is now in a calmer state than earlier, with Sehun as he goes out to find his own girlfriend. When he gets there, he finds her leaning against the car, patiently waiting for the most anticipated arrival of the lady for the night. She has arms crossed over her chest, eyes directed towards her elbow. She looks like she’s in deep with her thoughts. So, he decides to stay where he is and let his lady alone.

That doesn’t last long however when she lifts her head up and looks around, finding him standing there, watching her. She brings her eyebrows together for a bit before falling into a smile. She turns and holds her hand out for him to take as he makes steps forward, closer to her.

When he takes it, she pulls him closer to her and asks, “How long have you been standing there, watching me?”

“Not for too long.” He answers, not really having the time tracked. He can watch her just like that for as long as he can imagine.

“Did you enjoy watching me?”

He nods, making a soft hum as a response, wordlessly saying yes. “What were you thinking so deeply about?” He asks.

“Oh,” She shrugs her shoulders, smiling gently. “I’m just happy for my best friend. She’s finally getting married and going to have a family of her own with the man she loves the most. I’m excited for her. I’m excited for both of them actually.”

Jongin can’t help but give his girl a gaze of fondness and adoration. If only she knows that soon, it’ll be her— their, rather— their turn, he wonders if she’ll feel as happy and as excited as she is now for her best friend. But for now, it’s Mina’s and Chanyeol’s moment, and he’s not going to spoil as he and Aeiyoung have the rest of their lives to spend with together. He is sure, even without marriage, that he wants to be with her forever. But of course, it is every woman’s dream to have a beautiful wedding and be wedded to the man she loves, and he’s going to give that as it is his as well. It’s just now all a matter of taking and savouring their time together. Taking things at their own pace like they have always done from the beginning.

“How’s Chanyeol?” She asks now as she remembers about him.

“He managed to compose himself. He’s better. Sehun’s with him.”

She gapes at him. “Still giving him warnings?”

“Perhaps.” Jongin simply answers, making the other chuckle. Ever since Sehun came to know about Chanyeol’s plan of proposing to his cousin, he had been very straightforward about the male taking really good care of his cousin. A light from afar then steals his attention. His gazes turn to the approaching gleam, and back to Aeiyoung. “I think your best friend has arrived.” He says.

The lady turns and sees Mina’s car approaching. They stand side to side and watches for the vehicle to park. Once it has pulled over, Aeiyoung takes a step to welcome her best friend to feel that Jongin has withdrawn his hand from hers.

“I’m going to give the boys a call to let her know she’s here.” He whispers quietly.

With that, she nods and they part ways to greets Mina while her boyfriend makes the call.

“Glad you found your way around.”

The latter rolls her eyes as she presses a button on her car remote to lock her car. “Only because I’m new around the area.” She looks around and she can’t help but be impressed with the view the location is giving. “I must say, of many places my boyfriend and I have been to, this is something new. This is a hidden gem,” She points. “what your boyfriend found.”

“It is, isn’t it?” She agrees, and looks around as well. But, it isn’t Jongin, Mina. It’s Chanyeol, your very boyfriend, who found this place, just for you.

“What’s Jongin doing?”

“Attending a phone call.” She explains easily. “He should be finished by now. Hopefully, it’s the last.” She mutters, now putting on a slight act for the show to begin. Knowing her boyfriend, she’s sure that more people will call him. Hopefully, it just works for a perfect timing so things aren’t that obvious.

“A CEO has got to do what he has to, huh?”

She sighs. “Yeah, well.”

Then, Mina’s phone vibrates, causing her to pull out her phone to check. “Oh, Chanyeol left a message. He said he’s nearly here.”

“Okay, then.” She points her thumb past her shoulder. “Let’s head inside. I’m sure Yeol will find his way.”

Mina doesn’t argue and easily agrees. On the way inside the private park, they walk on a clear footpath, until it gets them to path with rocks as pavements. The bushes, trees, flowers beds, and benches, around the park, particularly the exclusive area they occupied are decorated with LED lights, balloons swaying up in the air with the wind as its string are tied under either rocks, or railings, and lanterns are evenly spread everywhere are laid — in which none of it are visible given the dark night; even the post lights are turned off. It is only at the outer area of the park. That is the only time the lady of the hour feels that something is strange.

Just as she opens to ask a question, Jongin’s phone rings. The eyes of the two ladies turn to him, with his girlfriend giving him a smirk that is missed by her best friend. Their plan is working and what she has in mind is happening. Jongin keeps up with the act and puts on a guilty face. Aeiyoung plays along.

“You’re not answering that phone, are you?” She challenges.

Mina can feel how irritated the lady next to her is, she briefly wonders how persistent are the calls coming to Jongin to hear Aeiyoung give out such tone. After it, she is already coming up with a plan on how to prevent from the two from fighting and have the mood for the night completely ruined.

“Aeiyoung…” He calls as a response.

“Jongin.” The lady responds back sternly.

He lets out a heavy sigh, and takes the call without hearing whatever his girlfriend has to say. He walks away as he speaks to the person on the other line. The scene is alarming for Mina.

Aeiyoung turns to Mina, about to give her an apologetic look, as part of her act, when she has her head down looking at her phone again. “Is that Chanyeol?” she asks, masking her surprise at how well everything is working.

“Yeah.” She nods. “He said he’s here and he’s walking inside already.” She looks up and sees her best friend’s apologetic look. “It’s fine. Go after Jongin. Chan will be here soon, anyway.”

Aeiyoung nods, giving her a tight smile before turning to her heels where her boyfriend headed towards. As soon as her head is turned back from Mina, she can barely stop herself from squealing and smiling widely but succeeds at keeping her composure as she intentionally makes a loud sigh on her way. That is something she never does but it doesn’t matter anymore. The main show is about to start anyway.

As soon as she sees Jongin in sight, who stands patiently meters away from where they were, she sprints and gives him a light hug. She curves her lips as she looks at him and the male knows exactly what that means. Jongin snaps his fingers as a cue that Mina is already alone and the set up can come to life.

In a smooth wave, the lights start to open, along with the lanterns, showing the whole romantic set up. From their view, they can clearly see Mina’s mouth agape with her whole expression completely dumbfounded. She looks around trying to make out what is happening until the LED screens begins to play a video.

It is a video that Chanyeol personally filmed on their first day together. It was him constantly asking in a playful manner if she really said yes being her boyfriend. Mina tried to keep away from the camera, covering her face, acting annoyed but completely blushing. Then, when she couldn’t take it anymore, she grabbed and cupped Chanyeol’s face and kissed him in the lips, saying the words Yes, yes, yes while laughing in full delight.

Aeiyoung leans her head into Jongin’s chest as she watches the entire scene before them. Chanyeol is already in sight as videos of their memories together keep playing in the background.

Jongin is caressing the lady’s side as he watches with her. What’s happening is like a snippet from a very romantic movie, except it’s real action. He really can’t wait for the same for both of them to happen. When he gets the chance to propose to his girl, he’ll make it in a way she’ll remember forever. He really just can’t wait.

While all of that is happening, Sehun and Chanyeol’s friends are at the gazebo as planned, gawking but still alert at everything that is planned to happen. By the time all the videos ended, the words Marry me, please? on the three large screens appear. They only notice that Mina is crying when she begins to wipe her tears away as her boyfriend hugs her tight, drying her drenched cheeks with his thumbs.

Then, he takes a step back and kneels on his one knee, opening the velvet box he fished out from his pocket. The only thing that is left now is the lady’s magic word of Yes. For the longest seconds of their lives, Mina nods her head as she bends down to hold Chanyeol’s hand, mouthing words that she will indeed marry him. She leans in to passionately kiss his lips but before they continue any further, the male pulls back and rings the lady who is now his Queen. Done with that, they continue kissing each other, completely forgetting about the presences of their friends. It doesn’t stop until fireworks rock up, illuminating the dark sky. Surprising not only the couple but everyone else as well. This isn’t part of the plan.

Aeiyoung lifts her head up and sees the Jongin doesn’t even look a tad surprised about it as he’s just wearing the same smile he’s been wearing since earlier— his eyes up, watching the fireworks do its art. “You did this?” She asks and that’s when he only shifts his gaze to her.

“Yeah.” He confirms. “I thought I had to do something for my girlfriend’s best friend.”

“Thank you, Jongin.” She says, tipping up to kiss his jaw and wipes the small tint of her lipstick that was left on his skin with her thumb. She meets his eyes again, “Thank you.”

The male bobs his head softly as an acknowledgement. Slipping his hand to meet her palm with his, he says, “Come, they might be looking for us now.”

Aeiyoung walks with his lead and gets an angry pout from her best friend when she notices they are approaching. “Quite a show you did there, Aei.” She mutters.

The lady shrugs her shoulders, giggling. “At least, you’re officially now soon-to-be Mrs Park.” She counters. “Chanyeol packed quite an effort.” She adds.

Mina laughs, hugging her fiance’s bicep, nudging her to nose to it. “That’s true.” She agrees. Then, a set of approaching steps steals Mina’s attention. It’s the guys. Her jaw drops when she sees the Sehun is also behind this. “Wow, you’re behind this too?!” She questions her cousin.

“As obvious as it may seem.” He responds back. “Just please don’t be like Auntie.” He requests, joking. He’s referring about their relative who got married (for the third time) several months back in Prague.

“Of course not!” She exclaims, falling into laughter when it sinks in as a joke. “Speaking of which, they’ll be coming here to celebrate Christmas and New Year with us. So be ready to hear an earful from her.” She warns.

“I doubt so.” Sehun says. “Auntie loves me. She’s great and too kind.”

Mina rolls her eyes at him and doesn’t disagree because it’s true. She turns away and sees that her fiance and Jongin are sharing glances.

“The fireworks were from you…?” Chanyeol asks.

“Yeah.” Jongin answers.

“Thanks for that.” He says, reaching out his hand to shake with him. Mina nods her head, thanking him with her fiance.

“It’s nothing.” He says, taking the hand. “Take it as a little token.”

As they withdraw, the taller man entertains the words of congratulations from his circle of friends. Mina stays behind with the couple, letting her partner do his thing.

“So,” Mina breaks. “When will it be your turn guys?” She asks.

Sehun raises his eyebrow, curious as well.

“I could marry her now if only she lets me.” Jongin answer bluntly, stunning his lady.

“Jongin.” She calls, lightly hitting his arm. The cousins laugh. She turns to her best-friend, “This is your moment, guys. We’ll let you have it all to yourselves.” She adds, “Besides, you guys had years, us, we’re just nearing into a year. Give us time.”

This time Sehun speaks, “If anything, it’s the both of you who proved that love is timeless.” He explains. “People can be together for nearly or more than a decade and still break up after. But you guys, a lot of things have happened between you two in a span of less than a year and they were rather hardcore.” He pauses. “Yet you two are still so sure and committed of each other. Nothing was able to break what you both had at that moment and continue to have.”

For all he knows, what’s more to come is just a matter of strengthening their relationship even more. Jongin and Aeiyoung are the two strongest people he knows and what they have can possibly be stronger than he can imagine.

“Personally, I think that’s more than enough proof that you guys are for each other.” He concludes.

“Sehun’s got a point.” Mina agrees.

Aeiyoung grasps on her boyfriend’s hand, feeling her blush as heat and affection comes over her. She looks up as he tugs her close, her temple landing on his plump and full lips.

“In time…” She answers. “For now, we’re just going to enjoy every minute we’re spending together. It’s not like I’ll go anywhere Jongin’s not in.”

“Me too.” He speaks, more to like Aeiyoung than the cousins. “I don’t want to go anywhere she’s not.”

And before Mina can open to say anything cheeky or even get that chance to tease, the other lady beats her to it. “Anyway, there’s food ready for everyone. Let’s just celebrate your engagement through dinner.”

Jongin lets go of his girlfriend so she can spend some time with Mina while he does as well with Sehun. “I’ll leave you two alone, I’ll go with Sehun. See you in a bit.” He whispers.

Aeiyoung places her hand just under his jaw and slides her thumb across his cheek, pressing her lips to his quickly. “See you.”


 

Another few weeks and then soon, months pass after that, time passes rather but fairly quickly for the couple. The Ber months approached swiftly before their eyes and soon after it’s already December. Aeiyoung, like she promised to Jongin moved into his place weeks after Chanyeol’s proposal to Mina happened. Jongin can’t ask for more as he begins to love coming home everyday, knowing that the love of his life would be there. To top more on that, it is the first Christmas and New Year they will be celebrating together as a couple and both Aeiyoung and especially Jongin just really can’t wish for more. He has everything he wants, he needs and wishes for.

If they are to look back, their love story came rather sudden and abrupt. Meeting in the club during Sehun’s farewell party, encountering each other again the next day at a coffee shop she happens to be her favourite, it’s strange because it went from Jongin disliking about her calling him “Mr Kim” to him developing a fondness of her in no time. It wasn’t really a surprise to Jongin. Well it was but it wasn’t the kind of surprise to the extent he wanted to deny what he felt with Aeiyoung. For the bachelor, it was a pleasant surprise. And for once, he felt he did something right and something right happened in his life.

Maybe that was the effect Aeiyoung had on him or it could be for the fact of what happened the year before that contributed to it, but whatever it was, Jongin faced things on a braver note. He was fascinated himself, actually. He moved forward, pursuing a beautiful lady, considering how angry he was at the world— at himself— how lonely and worthless he felt he was after what happened the year before. After everything, looking then and now, Jongin could only come up with one thing as a conclusion, a right person would come into your life and make you believe in and experience the magic you never once saw it coming.

For him, that person is no other than the love of his life: Ji Aeiyoung.

“Jongin, babe, come look at this.” Aeiyoung shifts closer to her boyfriend, holding out her iPad.

They are on the car, currently on their way to the airport for a domestic flight. They will be having a Christmas day dinner at Ji’s residence, an opportunity for the Kim family to see where Aeiyoung’s family resides.

Jongin leans closer and looks at the screen his girlfriend is showing him. She is showing pictures of different kind of tours around the world, scrolling through each option as she swipes her finger across.

He gives her an inquisitive look, “What is this for?”

She looks at him, in slight distress, explaining. “It’s an overseas tour I’m trying to organise for Mum and Dad.”

It’s been weeks since she’s trying to figure out what type of organised holiday she can give for her parents. She’s been so indecisive about it, wanting the best she can give to her parents.

She furthers, “It’s my present for their upcoming wedding anniversary.”

“Ah.” Jongin smiles and looks back on the screen. “I think a tour in Europe for them would be nice.” He suggests.

“But don’t you think a cruise ship for them would be nicer?” She adds, “I saw one—” She stops, now thinking better of it. “Yeah, I think a Europe tour would be nice for them.” She agrees. “But do you think this is good enough? I want the best for them on this one.”

“I can give Reya a call and have her to look at it.” He offers.

“Is that okay?” She asks. “It’s not a burden?”

He chuckles, “I pay her good money. And it's a simple task, I’m sure she won’t mind.”

Aeiyoung nods, chortling, and settles at that. She locks her iPad and puts it aside. Then, she rests her head on her boyfriend’s arm.

Minutes later, Gyo calls for their attention, letting them know that they have arrived at the airport. The lady slides off the car, as the older man opens the door for her while Jongin gets off from the other side. He offers his arm for her to cling on and then gives Gyo a nod.

They soon board the private jet, making everything less hassle than the typical. The jet, however, doesn’t take off yet, waiting for Jongin’s parents and his sisters to arrive shortly.

“Are you all good?” He asks Aeiyoung who is taking a seat on the leather seat while bending close to her ear.

“Yeah, yeah. I’m good.” She assures. She’s just going through her work documents as being idle isn’t really ideal for her. “Do you need to do something?”

“I just need to make a quick phone call.” He informs.

She frowns. “On a Christmas Day?” He nods. “Don’t your employees or even you get a holiday?”

“I promise it’ll be a quick one. Just so it’s less likely I get more phone calls later.”

She sighs. “Okay. A CEO has got to do what they got to.”

“Five minutes.” He says.

“I’m keeping track.” She says, though only half serious.

“If you need anything, just tell them, okay?” He reminds.

She glances at the three ladies in their immaculate attires. “Yes, yes.” She smiles. “Go now before your family arrives.”

Jongin smiles gratefully and presses his lips on her forehead as his hand in resting on the back of her neck. He feels his phone vibrate, receiving a message that his family is ready to board.

“They’ll be here shortly.”

Aeiyoung nods and lets him go and do his duties.

She goes back reading her documents, shifting from the papers to her iPad from time to time. As she types an email to send, she is startled at the voice she hears out of the quietness.

“Now I know what your mother means about you overworking yourself so much.” Younji takes note, not sure if the sight is quite to her liking.

Aeiyoung promptly stands up, putting her device aside to walk towards the people who just arrived. “Auntie.” She greets, hugging her and then Jeho. “Uncle.” She gives both of them a smile. “Merry Christmas.”

Sera and Jaein comes and stands behind their parents as they return the christmas greeting. The oldest sister looks around and notices the absence of her brother. “Where’s Jongin?”

“He’s just making a phone call.” She explains.

Younji turns to her youngest daughter. “Get your brother and tell him I want him here now.”

Jaein looks at one of the stewardess on board to ask where her brother is, only to be directed towards the other end in an area where there is privacy.

She gives her thanks and watches the lady leave before tapping her brother’s shoulder. Jongin turns his head and sees that it is his sister. He holds his hand up softly to stop Jaein from saying anything and quickly wraps up the call.

As he slides his phone back in his pocket, he asks, “All’s ready?”

“Yes but Mum wants you. Like right now.” She emphasises calmly, “As in right now.”

Jongin frowns. “Is there something wrong?”

Jaein shrugs her shoulders and walks back to the main lounge area of the jet. The male silently follows behind, in wonder of what’s the urgency but then the calm voice his sister used confuses him.

“Mum.” Jongin calls, upon hugging her and giving a kiss on her cheek. “What’s wrong?”

Younji hits her son’s arm. “You!” The male yelps, not expecting that. “How is it that you’re letting your woman work on a holiday? At a Christmas Day even.” Aeiyoung opens to say something in defense for her boyfriend when the mother continues, causing her to purse her lips. “And what are you doing leaving her alone here and not spending time with her?”

Jongin can’t help but grin. But then, it isn’t only him him grinning as the rest tries to bite it back— including Jeho and Aeiyoung.

“This is not funny, young man. I don’t see why you’re grinning.” Then, she notices, eyeing on everyone. “Why are you all grinning?”

“Mum…” Jongin calls, beckoning his girlfriend over. “I think I know where I got my overprotective quality from.” He says.

Aeiyoung giggles. “Auntie, it’s okay. Doing nothing just really doesn’t make me comfortable. All of it will be put aside later.” She promises.

“She won’t stress herself.” The son assures, glancing at her. “She promised me she won’t.” Aeiyoung nods.

“Okay, since we’re here, put all those documents and work aside.” Younji demands. She looks at the lady whom she hopes to be her daughter-in-law. “I don’t want your parents to tell us we’re not taking care of you. Understand?”

“Yes, Auntie.” She answers softly and steps away to compile her documents back, hiding her iPad away.

The family takes their own seat and the Pilot comes in, approaching his boss. “Sir.”

“Are we good to go?” He asks.

The other man bobs his head politely. “We’re clear for takeoff.” He announces. “The sky is clear and there shouldn’t be any problem.”

“Alright. I’ll leave you to it.” He says, shaking the hand of his most trusted pilot. He doesn’t worry as it is a quick and smooth flight after all.

When Jongin takes the seat next to Aeiyoung, he hears a question, “How was the phone call?”

He gives an assuring smile when he answers, “All’s good.”

The lady pats his thigh. “That’s good.”


 

Approaching the street where the humble residence of Ji’s is located, Younji’s mouth drops agape astonished at the sight as it is really standing out from the rest.

She reaches for her husband who is currently behind the wheel. She points and asks, “Is that their house?”

“I suppose.” Jeho answers.

Currently, they are in a three-car convoy where Jongin is driving with Aeiyoung, Jeho is with his wife and Jaein and Sera is in her own car alone, preferring to drive on her own.

The youngest lady looks up from her phone and sees the what the fuss is about. Her eyes widens and twinkles, excited at the sight she sees. The house she’s looking at is different from their own house but the beauty of this architecture isn’t any else. It’s so beautiful.

She looks distractedly when Yeonha chirps, excited to see that Jongin has pulled over by the front of the house that caught their attention. They haven’t entered yet but they are already so excited about everything.

Aeiyoung gets off the car, the same time her boyfriend does. Upon opening the gates, Shiloh runs over to his owner, making the lady giggle as she bends down to pet the boy. Soon, they hear Maxi bark, running towards them as Yeonha and Jeonho welcomes the guests hand in hand.

As Jongin takes over the golden retriever, Maxi is welcomed into the arms of Aeiyoung, carrying her over her chest.

“You got dogs!” Jaein exclaims excitedly, walking behind her parents with her older sister.

The two families greet each other as they are already invited inside. Sera though, stays behind to look at Aeiyoung’s dogs, especially the bolognese dog.

“What’s her name?” She asks.

“Maxi.” Aeiyoung smiles and hands over the dog to the older lady. Noticing the unexpected affection Sera has for the dog as she pets her, she looks at her boyfriend.

It is only then when he whispers quietly to let her know. “Sera used to own a dog. His name is Kodi. She had it for twelve years and died like three years ago. She didn’t get another again after that.” He adds, “Maxi and Kodi share a resemblance.”

“Oh my gosh.” She gasps softly and quietly.

“I know what you two are on about.” Sera mutters, continuing to play with the dog. “Stop it.”

“But I really think getting a new dog would be nice for you.” Jongin says. It's been a while since he's been convincing his sister to get and adopt a new dog.

“I think so too.” The sister now agrees. “Which is why I went to the pet shelter a few days to look at some dogs. I think Kodi would like it if I adopt a dog from there.” She shares.

“Wow, really?” This is some news to the male. “Have you decided?”

“No. I was going to ask Jaein and you,” She glances at Aeiyoung. “to come with me and help me decide.”

Jongin frowns. “Where does that leave me?” He asks. His girlfriend giggles.

“I don’t know.” Sera answers. “But it leaves us ladies for some girls’ time.”

“I think I’m up for that.” Aeiyoung utters with her gentle voice.

“Perfect, we’ll do it after new year.” She decides, already excited at spending time with her younger sister and her future sister-in-law.

 

Jaein is having a blast time, fascinated by the interiors and view surrounded around the home. Jeho is enjoying talking to Jeonho over drinks while Younji helps out with the cooking with Yeonha. Sera continues to play with Maxi while talking to the couple. Shiloh is lying on Aeiyoung’s lap.

Over time, though Sera may come off as an intimidating woman coming off from her aura, she is a complete sweetheart. She doesn’t have a cold heart but rather very soft. Aeiyoung realises that she really just has a difficult time expressing herself, and could sometimes be aloof in getting attached— like what Jongin said— given their childhood experiences but both him, Aeiyoung and Jaein as well, hopes that she can break out of her walls or someone can break and crash those walls she had built around her heart as her defence mechanism.

Another account that made Aeiyoung realise this is that when Sera came over her brother’s flat that next weekend after his girlfriend got back from Germany to talk about them— or more specifically, about Aeiyoung’s condition.

As a lady herself, of course, Sera felt bad and sorry for her condition. She can’t imagine the same thing happening to her. She believes she isn’t that strong to accept that fact. But as a doctor, she believes there is some hope and it’s ready once they are. And though this won’t ever be an easy process, in fact, it would be risky, Sera won’t let anything happen to them, particularly to Aeiyoung. She’ll be there when the couple needs her.Aeiyoung won’t ever forget that time when she promised this and said the words Nothing will be impossible between you two.

The house helper comes into the entertainment area and places a tray of drinks and bowl of snacks and fruits for them to eat while the main dishes are being prepared. They nod their thanks and continue chatting, catching up with all the happenings in the span of time they hadn’t seen each other.

Soon, Jaein joins them and with her cheeky and lively personality, nothing comes boring. They chat, tease and share stories until their parents call them over the table to eat.

Beginning with the meal, Younji expresses her love of the location, the house and everything that comes with it. She believes it is perfect for people like her age, to come their once in a while and unwind from a stressful time at work, or generally anything. In fact, she loves it more there than in their own mansion. As much as cozy it is, they love every bit of it. Jeho doesn’t disagree.

The two families bond like they are already one family. It is heartwarming sight to see not only for Aeiyoung but also for Jongin. Everyone is getting along despite their differences in quality and they both love it.

Jeho opens up about the original plan of spending Christmas Day in the Ji’s and the night of New Year’s Eve and Day in the Kim’s. But by the looks of things, he expresses how he noticed his wife seems to want it to spend here than in their residence.

“I’m sure this won’t be the last holidays we’ll spend together.” Yeonha expresses. “I’m glad our family became bigger. It’s only having a small family but the two dogs make up for it.” Then, she adds, “Oh and the kids at school and Jeonho’s students in his academy.” Her husband nods, drinking a glass of water.

“I don’t think so. This definitely won’t be the last.” Younji agrees. “I love it here. I love the absence of extravagance.”

They continue to talk over the meals, asking Sera and Jaein in between about their life happenings and plans. The scene only shows how ready their families are when the time comes as the couple unites as husband and wife. And though they both feel secured of each other, they both feel they need more time to get to know each other. It’s just a matter of time— particularly for Jongin.

The rest of the day and night is blissfully spent. They toured around the town, making them see spots of the island could offer but have never seen before. It’s nice. Not only they get to see the view during the day but also the sunset and of course the breathtaking night view. For the Kim’s, this is a Christmas Day they will never forget.

As the Ji’s humble home only has four bedrooms, Sera and Jaein are sharing rooms for the night, while the two older couple occupy the two other rooms and Jongin is sleeping with Aeiyoung in her bedroom. By now, the boyfriend has gained Jeonho’s full trust and has long ago fully embraced the fact that his daughter is now someone else’s princess and perhaps, queen. After all, the father had no reason not to; seeing the change in his daughter is good different and he’s glad for it.

Aeiyoung is sitting on her bed as Jongin’s phone rings for a message. She gives it a look, tempted to look at it but chooses not to in respect of her boyfriend’s privacy. Then, Jongin comes out of the bathroom with a towel around his neck. He smiles at Aeiyoung and crawls over the bed. He is welcomed feeling her cup his face, pressing her lips over his.

As she leans back, she tells him, “Someone messaged you. Have a check.”

Jongin looks around and spots his phone on the other side of the bed. He grabs it and gives it to Aeiyoung without checking from whom it was. She looks at him, confused. “Check it for me.” He requests, rolling over to rest his back on the headboard.

She smirks, shaking her head. “That’s a message for you, you do it.” She says. “I don’t want to invade your privacy.”

The male stubbornly leaves his smartphone on the pillow that is placed over her lap, next to her device. Leaning comfortably on the headboard, he hugs her arm, entwining their fingers together as they hold hands. “I won’t ask you if I don’t want to.” He reasons. “Besides, I’m too rested to read. So, just do it for me.” He says, snuggling his cheek on her shoulder. Another message comes in, making look at her, bobbing his eyebrows to urge her to do it.

Aeiyoung sighs and takes the phone with her free hand. She puts her finger on the home button and the device quickly unlocks. She is surprised at that, her focus tilts to her boyfriend for an explanation.

Sensing her, he explains, “I registered your fingerprint while you were sleeping few months ago.”

Her heart swells. “Why?”

“Just because…” He answers vaguely. He squeezes her hand. “Come on, read it for me. I want to cuddle.”

Aeiyoung chuckles. “Okay.” She says and checks the message. First, the message is from Sehun, telling him that his parents are greeting him too a merry christmas and how he was told off for not yet finding a girl like him. Jongin laughs at that.

Then, the second message is from someone Aeiyoung has not expected at all. It’s from Seomi’s sister and he doesn’t look surprised as she thought he would be or rather, he should be. She reads the message:

“Merry Christmas, Jongin. I just want to greet you this before the day ends. Once again, I apologise for the trouble I have caused to you and Aeiyoung. Please greet her a Merry Christmas for me as well. I’d appreciate it. I hope this is a new start in our lives as you and our family separate way from now on. Thank you.”

Once she finished reading the message, she puts the phone down and shifts to look at him, wanting to settle her now disturbed and troubled mind. Now that she thinks about it, Jongin hasn’t mentioned anything about her since that day he came to know that she’s been coming to Iveely to harass her as he interpreted.

“You’re not telling me something.” She assumes. Now that it sinks more in her, she is beginning to feel upset. “What happened?”

He exhales. “I settled the whole issue with their family. I wanted them and particularly her, to stop bothering you.”

“What did you do?”

It takes a moment for him to answer. He really doesn’t want to let her know more about it. It’s not necessary. But then, he knows that if he doesn’t tell her, she’ll get more upset and maybe even mad and he doesn’t want that. It’s unsettling every time she’s mad.

“I met up with them. I stooped down and admitted it was all my fault— Seomi and my daughter dying.”

“But Jongin, it’s not your fault!” She exclaims, clearly upset and frustrated. She turns away, ready to bound off the bed when he holds her arm.

“No, wait. Don’t leave.” He says desperately. As she refocuses her gaze back on him, she sees remorse in his eyes. It clenches her heart. “I did it if it meant they’d leave you alone.”

Aeiyoung doesn’t say anything, waiting to hear more. She’s beginning to get mad. When will he understand that it wasn't his fault because they died? He might not have been perfect but what happened doesn’t make him responsible— not in the law and definitely not to her heart. And it hurts her because he lowered himself just so Seomi’s sister will not be affiliated with her anymore. It hurts her because she can’t protect him from things like this.

She doesn’t realise she’s already crying until she blinks and her tears stream down to her cheeks. She quickly wipes it off turning her head away again, on the other side so then Jongin won’t see her.

“Aeiyoung…” He calls, now realising the repercussions of him not telling her about it. He thought it would be better not to tell Aeiyoung about it since everything turned out well and Seomi’s family are out of the picture in their lives. He didn’t want to worry her. He had not realise that not telling her about it would be unfair for her. He should’ve just done so.

With her not looking back at him anymore, he moves closer and wraps his arms around her figure. His nose dips on her hair, and presses a kiss just above her ears. Aeiyoung wants to move away but then she can’t.

“I’m sorry.” He says.

They remain in that position for a while and when she turns, he gets to see how much her eyes have cried. It hurts him. He promised not to make cry and yet, here he goes. “I’m just so upset I can’t protect you.”

As he wipes her tears away, he shakes his head, not agreeing with her words. “You did. You did protect me, Aeiyoung. I came there with intentions to protect you away from them but then it turns out that it was you who protected me.”

She sniffs. “What?”

“After I stooped down, they admitted that they were responsible for it too. They realised that if they didn’t disown Seomi when she said she was pregnant with a guy she’s not even involved with, and just took care of her, maybe things wouldn’t have turned the way it did. Maybe, they could’ve protected Seomi from the accident. But then, at the time, what mattered to them was their name with good repute and Seomi was a disgrace to the name they’ve been keeping clean. They realised that the most part of the blame goes to them and not to me. It was just easier to put the fault on me and gone from them because they were too of cowards to accept. They said that was until you slapped the truth in their faces. They apologised to me.” He reveals.

“In the end, they were the ones who gave their utmost apologetic hearts to me. They were sorry for adding to the pressure of the verdict I put on myself out of guilt and selfishly took that away from themselves. They said if it weren’t for you, they would not have realised it.” He hugs her tighter. “That’s why you were the one who protected me even at the point when I was the one trying to do so, Aeiyoung.”

Words can’t express how relieved Jongin feels when he felt her touch on him. It’s a little but significant assurance that she’s not mad and so upset anymore.

“Are you still in contact with them?” She asks softly.

He shakes his head. “That message… It was the first she sent since I last saw them.” He explains. Searching for forgiveness in her orbs, he begs, “Please don’t be mad at me. I’m sorry.”

Aeiyoung sighs. “I’m not mad. I was just…” Her chest deflate. “I was just upset.”

“Are you not upset anymore?”

“Yes.” She answers truthfully. “But not as upset as before.” She just wants him to really feel that she’s not happy with what he did. He kept it from her and though she understands that he didn’t want her to worry, she had the right to know. She’s his partner after all, right?

“What can I do to not make you upset anymore?”

She shrugs her shoulders. She isn’t sure as well either. “Let’s just sleep. I want to rest.” She whispers and that clenches his heart.

She moves, moving the duvet so she can put it over her body. She positions herself on the near edge of her bed, away from the middle of it.

The distance they have in between makes Jongin feel cold and he doesn’t like it. The clench in his heart gets tighter that he almost can’t breathe. He’s hurt. She’s giving him the cold shoulder, something he’s not willing to receive out of everything the world is going to throw before him.

Cautious, he moves closer and asks anxiously, “Would it make you more upset if I hold you?”

Aeiyoung isn’t looking at him but shakes her head, in much to his relief. So, then Jongin lays himself down, and slips his hand and arm under her head, around her shoulder. He wraps his other arm around her middle, pulling her close away from the edge to press her back against his chest. He shifts up, putting the side of his head over hers. He smells her scent once more as he so softly whispers, “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.”

Though she doesn’t answer, inside her she has forgiven him.

That night, Jongin doesn’t let go of her, not even a risk of nanosecond.


 

Fireworks pops and spread widely but beautifully in the night sky as the clock strikes, entering the new year. The two families are together once again, standing at the highest and biggest balcony in the Kim’s mansion. They all cheer, greeting and wishing each other a happy new year.

Jongin and Aeiyoung are standing next to each other, side of their bodies touch together as her head leans towards him. They are holding the stem of Pinot Noir as they drink their red wine. They share their second kiss into the new year, in bliss as they spend it with each other. Exchanging the words of love, they share another one, finishing it off with his lips on her forehead.

As the firework show continues, putting more colours to the pitch black sky, Aeiyoung stares at her boyfriend in so much adoration and fondness. In thirteen days, it’ll be his birthday and she wonders what she can give to him.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” He asks, finding her gaze at him somewhat suspicious.

“Your birthday is coming.” She says. “I’m just thinking what my boyfriend would like to receive.”

“I don’t know either.” He says. “I feel like I have everything I need and want with me.”

“Yeah?” She raises her eyebrow. He nods. “So there’s nothing I can give you?”

“You’ve already given me everything.” He assures.

“I barely did anything.”

“You did so much.” He says, curling her hair behind her ear. “The list would be endless if I say it all out.”

Aeiyoung blushes. “Stop it.” She hits his chest gently. “Are you sure?”

He bobs his head again, totally forgetting about the presence of everyone around.

“Well, that won’t stop me.” She says stubbornly. “I’ll still get you something for your birthday.”

He chuckles. “You’re talking like your birthday isn’t coming the week after mine.” He says. “Six days after mine to be exact.”

“But I don’t want anything more.” She asserts. “I already told you what I wanted.”

“Yes,” His lips hover above her temple. “Of course, I’ll spend the entire day with you.” It’s not like Jongin is planning to do anything otherwise.

“And that is enough.” She concludes. “But with you, I want you to be really really happy on your birthday this year.”

Jongin breathes through his nose, finding himself giving in once again at her persistence. “I was really planning to ask you of this on our first anniversary together but you’re making it so hard for me to hold back.”

Aeiyoung looks at him in confusion. There anniversary doesn’t come until the third week of next month, she wonders what it could be— until it hits her. She gapes at him, searching for confirmation through his gaze but he only puts his wine glass away and starts to kneel on one.

She lets out a gasp. The action catches the attention of both families. “My stubborn but sweet lady, I haven’t got a ring with me at the moment,” He says, a little embarrassed, given this is spontaneous, but he doesn’t care anymore. He takes the opportunity now that it is before him. “But I’d like to come forth and ask you if you want to marry me and you’re willing to spend the rest of our lives together?” He continues, “I know we still have so much to know of each other and we’ve only been together for a nearly a year, but I really don’t want to look forward to the future without you in it. I’ve never been so sure of anything in my life but wanting to spend and live the days of the rest of my life with you. Please give me that chance?”

If she ever lets him, he makes a promise to himself that he will never ever blow it.

“Ji Aeiyoung, will you marry me?”

Jaein fails to stop herself from squealing that Sera has to place her hand over , shushing her little sister. The parents are wearing big grins on their faces, anticipating the answer that is yet to come out for the lady.

Aeiyoung glances at the six people standing aside and the sisters, being the sharp ladies they are, Sera lets go of the younger to let her take the wine of glass their future sister-in-law is holding.

With her hands free, she bends down and cups her boyfriend’s face. She leans in closer, letting the tip of their noses touch, as she mumbles her answer to against his lips. “Yes. Yes, I will marry you, Kim Jongin.”

He lets go of the breath he’s holding, finally hearing the music to his ears. But before he is able to say anything and express his joy, the lady already captures his lips, pulling him up off his knee. Jongin moans at the suddenness but gives in as he pulls her closer by the waist and cups her jaw with his free hand. Aeiyoung pours all her love, her happiness, her fondness, her adoration, her bravery and her courage into the kiss. Jongin, in the same manner but different kind, lets himself break free, expressing his relief and the feeling of ecstasy and rapture that is igniting through his system inside. The couple smile into the kiss as they open their twinkling eyes at each other.

Their bubbles pop, however, when they hear everyone’s cheer. They honestly think that nothing can beat a better new year than what happened between these two people whom they love and adore so much.


AUTHOR’s NOTE:

What a crappy chapter (as it didn’t go as planned as I wanted again) but I want to finish the fic before I get incredibly busy and honestly, I don’t have time anymore to edit and do all that. My condition and mental health isn’t that great either. I wanted to post this before my birthday tomorrow (23rd) because I don't I'll be able to tomorrow. But yeah, viola! Here you go.

Amd at this point, I just don’t care anymore. Everything is giving me anxiety but it’s also in my personality that I finish the things I started as soon as possible and as I can.

So next chapter aka last chapter, here’s what’s going to happen: birthday celebration, proper proposal, things in between (like Mina’s wedding and other stuff, hehe), their wedding preparations and the wedding itself. It’s going to be rushed like how this chapter was (I'll try my best though to not to. It's just a warning if ever I do) though really, this whole fanfic in general is rushed. Lol!

Then Epilogue! (or call it as bonus chapter or whatever).

See you till then.