Chapter Twenty Nine

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Twenty Nine

That morning, Jongin takes Aeiyoung to work, wishing for both of them to have a good day. He honestly don’t want to let her go. He’s reluctant. He feels like once he lets go of her hand, she’ll disappear and vanish away— like she’s going to leave him, like everything that happened was only the calm before the storm.

As Gyo pulls over by the front of the Iveely building, he hurriedly walks around to open the door on her side. She’s about to take a step out when she feels Jongin squeezing her hand with fear that is apparent in his eyes.

Aeiyoung turns her head and nods at the driver, who promptly closes the door upon receiving the gesture. Then, her gaze shifts back and lands to meet to her love’s eyes.

Her whole body moves around to face toward his direction. She grabs both of his hands in which he holds onto it tighter. That hold makes the lady sigh in rue. She knows the fear lingering within and inside him is because of her. She made him feel this way.

“Why?” She asks.

Jongin shakes his head. She knows he doesn’t want to let her know his fears.

“I’m not going to run. I’m not going anywhere.” She says, hoping to mollify it. She’s so full of guilt, when she says, “I’m sorry for thinking of leaving and running away from you.” It’s just that in those moments, she thought it was the best thing to do.

“Please, don’t.” He begs. He doesn’t even want to get her out of his sight. He feels like she’s going to disappear.

“No, I’m not going to leave you, Jongin.” She smiles at him as she reassures, “I might even see you tonight in your place or mine, if you want.” She withdraws one of her hand from his and he desperately searches for it back if not for feeling her caressing his cheekbone as her palm rest on his cheeks. Their eyes are fixed on each other when she says, “It’s your call, Mr Kim.”

Though the male doesn’t say anything, of course he does. He wants to spend every night with her. He can sleep at rest and at peace whenever he’s with her. He wants to end all of his days with her safe, comfortable and happy in his arms. He wants that as much as he loves waking up every morning to find her still in his bed, sometimes would greet him with her sleepy slur or her sleepy yet sweet smile or even better, feel and receive her morning, loving kisses.

“For now, let’s get to work and before we know it, we’re together again. Yeah?”

Jongin nods. “Okay.”

“I’m sure you have a lot to do. See you tonight, Jongin.” She leans in and kisses the side of his lips. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

And with that, they let go of each other’s hand and she opens the door, sliding out of the car to get to work. Upon her feet meeting the ground, Gyo hands the lady her bag. She briefly wonders how all of these get done in such a short span of time, always ready. Honestly, she thought of giving her best-friend a call to bring her stuff to the office— she’s sure Mina wouldn’t mind but then, there’s no need for any of that when her boyfriend is always a step ahead.

It’s already nearing dark when Aeiyoung finishes off work. She is getting ready to head off when her phone rings, receiving a call from her boyfriend. An instant smile curves her lips. She answers the call.

“Look outside.” Jongin says as a greeting.

Aeiyoung takes steps towards the window and peeks outside to see her boyfriend leaning against his car, his head tilted up with an endearing and fond smile. It’s not yet too dark to the extent it is difficult for her to see him but the lights illuminating the streets is giving her a breathtaking view. Maybe, it’s for the reason Jongin is already dashing as he already is but whatever it is, the sight of that makes Aeiyoung feel a sense of surreality. She just can’t believe he’s really here… with her.

“Excited to see me?” She asks.

“Always.” He answers. “Should I head up?”

“No, it’s okay. I’ll be down. See you in a minute.”

Jongin hums. “I love you.”

“I love you.”


 

Three days after that day, Aeiyoung is called to the chief’s office upon signing in at Iveely.

“Is there anything going on?” She asks her fellow team leader.

“Yewon was forced to resign.” The other lady replies.

Aeiyoung’s eyes widen in shock in disbelief. She wonders what happened but then, it’s really none of her business.

Walking past each other, she takes steps towards the chief’s office to find her already there, sitting, anticipating her arrival.

“Aeiyoung, take a seat.”

She does what she’s told, still slightly lost about what she’s doing there and for what reason.

“I’m sure you heard that Yewon has left the company.” The boss starts, receiving a nod. “The biggest world annual event management seminar is going to take place this coming Wednesday in Germany and as a highly reputable and recognised company for event planning, Iveely is once again invited.”

By those words, Aeiyoung already knows where the conversation is going but she remains silent and still until her boss finishes what she has to say.

“And I’m assigning you to go in replace of Yewon. You are the best person to represent our company after her.” She announces. “If you’re willing, you’re going to leave Tuesday and arrive back Saturday. Everything’s been arranged and ready to go for you. It’s just your word now, Aeiyoung. This is a great opportunity for you.”

She knows that. It’s a big honour and privilege as well to represent the company she has loved working for ever since she graduated. Though she is not after the promotion and credentials the event could offer and give to her, she is after the experience and chance in expanding and making herself better at the career she loves doing.

If she is single, the decision and word from her will come easy but then, she’s not. She knows she has to talk to Jongin about it and she is rather quite unsure about how the male will react about her having to go overseas for work. With how protective and quite insecure he’s been feeling (that she already has managed to alleviate over the past days), she wonders if Jongin will be genuinely okay with her leaving for a few days. Sure she knows he will be supportive of her but she doesn’t wish to leave until Jongin’s insecurity of her leaving has completely subsided and gone. She wants to be considerate of him. She doesn’t wish to be selfish.

Sensing the hesitance with her employee, the chief nods her head understanding the lady’s side. She knows this is so sudden but in work force, circumstances like this are at times inevitable. Though the lady is a professional at the work she does, she also has her personal life that she has to take into consideration and she understands that. “I’ll give you until tomorrow morning. Is this okay?”

Aeiyoung looks at her boss and nods her head, grateful. When they come to a consensus, she stands on her feet and shake hands with the lady behind the desk before leaving.

As she arrives at her desk, she grabs her phone and sends a message to Jongin: We need to talk.

A second later, her phone rings and as expected, it’s Jongin calling. She answers the call.

“Jongin.”

“What’s going on?” He asks and she can already hear apprehension in his tone.

“Can we talk about it tonight? Are you available?”

“Aeiyoung—”

“My boss wants me to send to Germany. There will be a seminar there.” She announces, putting an end to his misery.

There is a long silence before she hears Jongin speak with a low, unwilling voice. “Do you have to go?” He asks.

Aeiyoung lets out a deep breath. “We’ll talk about this later, okay? I just thought you should know.” She hopes her comforting and gentle voice will be enough for her boyfriend for now.

“Gyo will be picking you up.” He tells her. His voice continues to be low and passive, making it difficult for her to make.out something.

“You’re not going to?” She asks in confusion.

He hums, “I want to, baby. But I have a meeting then and I don’t want you to wait there for so long. I’ll be at the penthouse around seven.”

“Okay.” She says softly. “Mikyeong and I will make something for you.” Then she hears a voice, recognising it’s his assistant’s.

“Okay, in a minute.” He says and Aeiyoung knows that’s not for her. “I have to go now. I’ll see you tonight.”

“See you, Jongin.”


 

The day lasts rather painfully long for both. Jongin just wants all his meetings and engagements to end and talk to his girlfriend about her supposed departure. This will be the first time she’s going to leave overseas in the relationship and he doesn’t know what to feel about that. No, he doesn’t plan to hold her back. He knows Aeiyoung doesn’t want that too, being an independent lady she is, and neither he is insecure of the love and affection she has for him. But it’s the circumstances and timing he feels upset about. He really doesn’t want to part from her for so long, right now, and so far away— especially after everything that have happened recently. He wants her to stay by his side and as close as possible at the moment.

Aeiyoung, on the other hand, tries to focus herself on the work at hand and before her. She discreetly leaves explicit and thorough instructions to her team for the pending events and what are the priorities that needs to be attended for the time she is gone, just in case she goes and Jongin will be really okay with it. She makes the most of the day and as more productive as possible compared to the usual days.

The next time she glances at the clock, the office hours is about to end in five minutes. She dismisses her team, letting them work at their own tasks and responsibilities in their own time, commending them for a job well done.

She meets Gyo, standing by the black SUV, in front of the building. He is there standing as accordingly and duly. She greets the older male as he opens the door for her, letting her to safely climb in. She is then informed that her car will be taken care of and will brought to Jongin’s garage shortly. She nods understanding what he said.

It isn’t long when they arrive at Jongin’s penthouse. She is welcomed by Mikyeong who promptly takes her bag and blazer.

“Is there anything you would like to eat for dinner, Ms Ji?”

“I was thinking of cooking something with you for Jongin.” She utters modestly.

The housekeeper smiles. “Very well, Ms Ji.”

Unlike the first time, Aeiyoung and Mikyeong collaboratively works together like the time they did when Jongin’s mother came over for dinner. By this, the ladies get an opportunity to be more comfortable of each other’s presence without feeling awkward or uneasy.

When everything is finished and set nicely and delightfully. Gyo announces Jongin’s arrival, and that’s when the housekeeper takes the cue to leave the couple with some private time.

Aeiyoung walks to the foyer to welcome her boyfriend. The lift opens and there she sees his tired and almost worn out aura, if not for the sweet smile she sees on his lips as he walks towards her, dropping his bag and his coat and opens his arms— almost throwing himself at her for an embrace.

The lady grunts and chuckles, catching the man she loves. She rubs her hand on his back, telling him that he did work hard and he did really well today.

Jongin leans back, giving the eyes that resembles so much of what little boys wear when they are tired and out of energy.

Every time he is with her, he becomes that little boy, releasing the usual aura he’d wear as a strong son, a reliable brother and a bright CEO. And at different times, he can be that man for his girlfriend who needs him whenever she’s being moody, she’s tired and stressed from work, emotional, and she needs caring. It’s like they are each other’s perfect combination that one is ready to be strong whenever the other is feeling weak.

“Such a baby…” Aeiyoung coos, brushing her fingers through his hair as the male holds her around her waist, pressing it to his body. Then, she places her hands on his shoulder, their eyes not leaving each other’s. She smiles softly as she says, “Dinner’s ready. Up for some wine?”

He nods, still not releasing her.

“What would you like?”

“Red.”

She giggles. “Perfect. Because that’s what I got prepared too.”

Jongin grins. “Indeed, we’re so perfect for each other.”

Not able to keep her smile off her face, she slides his hands out around her waist and holds one of it, tugging him towards the dining area. “Come, let’s go. I’m hungry.”

“Me too.”

They walk towards the extravagant table— extravagant for a person living alone. Standing before that, Jongin pulls her so their hips are touching. He places his hand on her side and kisses her temple. “Still haven’t thought of moving in with me?” Aeiyoung looks at him. He presses his lips on her again, on her crown. “I like this. I like coming home to you.”

“I haven’t mentioned it to you, have I?”

The man frowns. “Mentioned what?”

“Chanyeol came over yesterday and he talked to me privately about Mina.” She begins. “And… he’s planning to propose to her in a few weeks. Which means…”

“Which means?”

“Which means I could possibly move in with you after that happens.” She announces and he feels himself elevated. “But…” She pauses and her partner freezes, “But I might need to come back there, every now and then, ready for both of us to move out with and have it on the market.”

“You’re not keeping it?”

She hums and decides to be slightly cheeky, “I can. So I have a place to sleep in when we fight and I don’t want to be with you. Or—?” She chirps, “I can go back there if you don’t want me anymore.”

“Princess!” Jongin calls, his face is serious and hurt, slightly anxious. He curls her hair behind her ear. “For one, if you think for a second that I am going to let that happen no. I don’t like you being mad at me. I can’t bear it. And two, you will have to stay here forever then. Next to my side. With me.”

Aeiyoung cups his face, their nose brushing. “Just few more weeks, my King. Few more weeks. And I will need to spend as much time with Mina before she officially becomes Mrs Park.”

Jongin smiles. Inhaling, he claims her with her lips, letting the kiss do its talking. Their lips perfectly match to each other, as they kiss every anxiety and fear away.

“I love you.” He whispers. These are the words he will never, ever get tired saying of, especially to the lady he loves the most.

“I love you too, Jongin.” She whispers back, her fingers trailing his jaw, kissing his lips once again with big smooch.

 

Dinner finally begins for the couple. They sit next to each other, allowing Aeiyoung to serve her man. Carefully, she watches his reaction with the dishes she cooked with his housekeeper, only to sigh in relief as Jongin returns a compliment. She begins with her own plate, beyond happy and this little gesture she’s doing is enough for him. They continue to eat dinner and enjoying each other’s presence with tranquility.

“Germany.” She then utters, in the middle of scooping her bowl of dessert. She looks at her boyfriend, now a little worried, now reminded of the last minute business trip. “We need to talk about my trip to Germany for work.”

Jongin stops and glances at her. Unwillingness already seen in his gaze. “Do you have to go?”

“No, if not for the reason Yewon resigning. She was supposed to go but my boss told me this will be a great opportunity for the company. I honestly think it will a valuable trip for me.”

“For how long will you be gone?” He asks.

“Around four days.”

He sighs through his nose. “That long?”

Aeiyoung smiles at that, chuckling a little bit. “It’s a seminar, Jongin.” She says, reminding him. This is something he should know well. “Besides, it isn’t even that long, Jongin. Sometimes two weeks would pass and we would only see each twice or thrice, despite being the same city but we managed.”

“But that’s different.” He counters. “Germany is around eleven, twelve hours away by plane. You’re across the world for four days. And I can’t see you as fast as I want, unlike you being here.”

“Four days.” She says, reaching to hold his hand. “Only four days, Jongin.”

“It’ll be torturous.” He grumbles. “I’ll miss you so much.”

“So, is that okay?” She asks.

“I can’t stop you, can’t I?” He asks back.

“Yes, but I want to make sure you’re okay with it.” She reasons. “You’ve always done that to me.”

“I don’t want you to leave but I’ll deal with it. I can’t stop from doing things you love and I know you want this. Though, I’m going to need to have you all to myself the entire weekend after it.”

Jongin is reminded of the business trip he had in Singapore. Of course, his affection towards the lady can’t be compared to how deep it is now, but not seeing her for almost a week was already almost like a torture. But then, what came at the end of it was something he wouldn’t exchange for anything else.

“Of course. My King wants, he gets.” Aeiyoung assures, leaning forward to hug him. “Thank you for always understanding me, Jongin.”

“Just promise me you’ll look after yourself really well, okay?” He says as they face each other, still keeping the hug intact. “I won’t be there and it’ll take me at least half a day to get to you if ever anything happens to you.”

“I will.” She smiles. “I’ll take care of myself.”

About to lean back, she is stopped by Jongin’s hold. She looks at him questioningly, making him explain, “You’re still here but I don’t even want to let you go.”

“Stop it.” She says, blushing as she brushes her index finger on the tip of his nose softly. She leans back on the chair and offers her spoon to her love. “Want some?”

Jongin nods so she feeds him.

After a while, finished with the dessert, now just sitting on the dining table to finish their glass of wine, Aeiyoung takes the opportunity to ask, “Are you going to miss me?” The side of her tilted head is leaning against her palm, as her elbow in on stop of the table while her other free hand is playing and fidgeting with Jongin’s fingers.

The male claims her hand and places it just under his jaw, letting him snuggle into her palm. He then kisses it before answering, “You know I will.” He says. “This is the first time you’re going to be away from me.”

Aeiyoung smiles, feeling herself drowning in his pool of love. “Well, I’m going to miss you too— so much.” Her thumb softly rubs his skin. “But four days will pass quicker than we will both realise and before you know it, I’m back.”

“I’m picking you up at the airport.” He says, already adamant on the idea.

“Okay.” She agrees. “I’d like that too.”


 

The night before Aeiyoung’s departure, Jongin decides to come over at her place, not only to help her packing but to spend the night with her before her departure.

He’s sitting on her bed as she watches her pack the last few items she’ll be needing for the trip. He is dressed with his grey sweatpants and plain white shirt, already washed up. Aeiyoung is wearing her baby pink satin shorts with Jongin’s old plain grey shirt. It’s the one she found in his wardrobe when she was over at his place and took it, considering it was one of the tees he wasn’t wearing anymore.

“Done?” He asks.

Aeiyoung breathes out in a satisfied manner as she nods with a smile. “Yeah.”

With that, Jongin puts the pillow aside and stands up on his feet to zip up her luggages and gets it ready to be loaded in the car the following morning. Done doing so, he hugs his girl, and walks backward, pushing her gently to the bed. The lady squeals at the motion but feels safe with how her boyfriend is holding her securely. They both chuckle, filling the room in with it.

Hovering over her, he brushes the strands of her hair away from her countenance. He pecks the tip of her nose as she giggles to it.

Breathing in, they study each other’s countenance, positive that they will be meeting each other a lot in the four days they are apart. But, it is Aeiyoung that breaks the silence by telling her so softly, “Be a good boy for the four days I’m gone, okay?”

“I’ve always been a good boy since you came." He says and she nods at that.

“I know that but go and hang out too. Have a boys’ night out with Sehun and the others. I don’t want you to just do work while I’m gone.” She urges, “Have fun, Jongin.”

Tracing her eyebrow with his finger, he tells her with his low and quiet voice, “Most girlfriends don’t encourage their boyfriend to have fun and here you are, pushing me to do that.”

She pinches his nose gently. “That’s because first, I'm not them. Second, I trust you. I know you won’t do anything funny and it’s not like Sehun will let you, anyway.” She continues, “Besides, I think you deserve it after everything that happened. I don’t want you to just keep yourself in working.”

“But nothing is worth enjoying without you.” He half-murmurs, half-whines, kissing her earlobe that tickles the lady slightly. “It’s better when you’re there.”

“Okay.” She cups his jaw to face her. “Just promise me it’s not all work you’re going to do. Don’t overwork yourself just because I’m gone.”

“I won’t.” He promises. “I don’t want to worry you.”

Planting a kiss on his forehead by lifting her head up, she says, “That’s good.”

After that, Jongin slides his hands on her behind and pulls her to her side. He cradles her inside his arms to his chest. “You’re the one leaving but you’re still the one worrying about me.” He says, still wondering inside how he ever deserves a such lady like her. “I’ll be okay. But you, you have to look after yourself. Don’t skip meals, take your meds and,” He pauses, caressing his thumb on the apple of her cheeks, “have plenty of rest. Don’t stay up.”

“Yes, I’ll do that. I don’t want you to worry about me too.”

“I’ll call you, okay?” He says.

She hums. “Me too.”

“Have you called your parents?”

“Yeah, I called them last night and talked to them again this morning too.”

“That’s good.” He commends, pressing a final kiss for the night to her lips. “Good night, my love.”

“Good night, Babe.”


AUTHOR’s NOTE:

Short update after the long wait. Sorry if this was more like of a filler chpater (partly writer's block) but most of it was because I’m planning to have the next upcoming chapters to be long and full blown. I think we all know the ending this fanfic will be having but that aside, I hope you guys will be with me until the end.

So here’s the plan: Chapter 30 is the last chapter of the fic. Chapter 31 is the finale and Chapter 32 is the epilogue and after that we’re done!

It has been really a nice and smooth journey to y’all. I apologise if the fanfic was rather uneventful and there wasn’t any suspense or any kind of mindblowing plot twist and whatnot. I was planning to have some but I didn’t want to drag it for so long.

Anyway, thank you for sticking with me until now, hopefully we still see each other until the epilogue. Thank you as well for appreciating my efforts. I know my writing isn’t perfect and lacking but I’m utterly grateful. Just three more updates and we’re going to reach the end.

See you all until then.