Chapter Twenty

Undeniably Lost

Thanks to B3aut1fulM0nst3r for the beautiful poster!


Chapter Twenty

“I’m sorry, I can’t come.” Mina says in a sad tone. She really wanted to come but the same time, her parents wants her to be home for the weekend as well to see her grandmother, to which Aeiyoung completely understood. It isn’t like this would be the last, anyway. “Be safe, okay?” She reminds.

The lady departing cracks into a chuckle, “Mina, it’s literally just a domestic flight. I’m not going anywhere overseas.”

She rolls her eyes, “Give me a break, will you?” Her best-friend just doesn’t give her a chance to be emotional. “Anyway, so I’ll see you Sunday?”

“Yeah.” She nods. “But, don’t pick me up. Jongin mentioned he will be coming back with me.”

“Okay, makes sense.” She gives her sister a big hug, “Please send my regards to them for me, yeah?”

“I will.” She assures.

Aeiyoung heads inside as she hears the call for the domestic flight she’s in through the PA system. She settles inside the small plane while the others find their own seats. It’ll be a quick flight but it feels like forever when she’s so keen to see her parents again. Above that, she’s also nervous because this is going to be the first they’ll see her boyfriend.

Unlike Jongin, she hasn’t really talked about him a lot, apart from the fact that she told them that they are together the same week their relationship became official. Jeonho and Yeona mentioned how they wanted to meet him but neither of them can really make the trip as the mother is busy with the school and Jeonho is also busy with his taekwondo academy and mechanic job. The same with Aeiyoung, she’s so filled up her load of work, which is also the reason she could barely meet her boyfriend despite being in the same city.

Taking a little nap in between, she wakes up at the pilot’s announcement and final greeting. She comes to think that the plane had already landed. She unbuckles her seatbelt and blinks her eyes a couple of times. She stands up, joining the rest of passengers getting off the plane.

When she arrived at the grounds, she is welcomed by her father’s call of her name with his loud and deep voice— enough to catch other people’s attention around. Aeiyoung beams gleefully and sprints towards her parents. She hugs both of them at the same time. Gosh, how much she missed them. She’s home.

“So good to see you again, darling!” Yeona expresses.

“The same for me, Mum.” She feels so happy she can’t even explain.

“Okay, let’s get you home. I’m sure you’re hungry?”

She puts a hand over stomach and gives a sheepish smile, “Just a little bit.”

The mother chuckles, “Okay, well then, let’s feed your just a little bit hungry stomach, shall we?”

“I like that.”

“Me too.” Jeonho joins, and sighs looking at his daughter. He recalls the torture, “Your mother won’t let me touch any of the food she was cooking.”

Arriving at the humble villa of her parents, she is greeted by her cute, little baby, Maxi, a bolognese dog. With a excited and delighted smile, she bends down and hugs her baby. She’s so relieved to know that Maxi hasn’t forgotten about her even if it’s so long since the last time she saw her.

“How are you, huh?” She asks as she fondles her fluffy dog’s head, hugging her body. “Did you miss me, did you miss me?”

“She sure did.” Yeona comments.

She giggles. “I missed you, too!” She says, before putting Maxi down again to run and about.

Getting up, she looks around and notices how much has changed since the last time she visited. Parts of it are renovated too, making the house look new but simple and still feels very much like home— free and serene.

“Change, then we’ll eat.” She hears her mother tell. Giving a nod, she goes inside her room where her father already brought her bag and small luggage inside. She quickly washes up and changes to really comfortable and very casual clothes with her tair tied up in a messy bun with few short strands of her hair hanging.

She walks to the dining area where her parents are waiting with a stomach asking for to be fed. She beams and takes a seat, each of them sharing warm smiles to each other.

Aeiyoung misses this. It reminds her so much of the times before they had to live apart from each other. Everything feels so refreshing and invigorating. She realises that she likes it better being in her parents’ home than them being in hers.

After the meal and some chatting, she goes to the front yard to greet their other family dog, but this one bigger, Shiloh, a golden retriever. It’s their first ever dog that a friend of her Dad sold to them.

“You’ve grown so big.” She says, caressing the dog carefully. She squishes the dog’s face, “Been a good boy?” The pet doesn’t answer, just giving his other owner a melting puppy look. She’s glad that her parents have these two dogs to keep them some company when she can’t. At least, it feels a little lonelier and they keep them busy. “Mum, has Shiloh been fed yet?” She asks Yeona who is now outside to water her beautiful bundle of flowers.

The woman turns to her daughter, “Yes, we have. But he needs some bathing to be done.”

“What about Maxi?” She adds.

She bobs her shoulders, “If you want.”

With an excited smile, she stands up and heads towards the garage to get the dog tub, shampoo and a bucket for the water. When all is ready, she calls Maxi over who in less than three seconds, she sees her already running towards her.

She giggles and welcomes the small dog again in her arms before putting her on the little empty tub with the bigger dog sitting on his bottom patiently.

“I see you really love dogs…”

Aeiyoung stills on her spot, unsure whether she’s to turn around, in disbelief that the voice she heard is her boyfriend’s. She hears Shiloh bark. He can’t be here yet. He told her that he won’t arrive until the next day. No way…

Slowly, she turns her head and sees that Jongin is really there. He’s there. She’s not hallucinating because her big dog is barking, looking towards the direction he’s standing in.

She stands up and in perplexity, she asks, “You’re here?”

He smiles warmly, “Yeah.” His hands are inside his pockets and she sees a shiny black car parked. “I thought coming earlier is better than on time.”

She doesn’t move. She can’t believe he’s really here. Her mind that’s always busy running with thoughts is now blank. She’s in daze. Her man is full of surprises.

And she only snaps out of it when she hears her mother gasp and call. “Jongin, you’re here!”

Aeiyoung’s jaw drops as sees her boyfriend bow amiably like they’ve met each other when she is certain that this is the first time they’ve seen each other. This is the first time they’ll meet her boyfriend. Or at least, that’s what she knows.

She remembers how she told both her mother and father that Jongin will be coming tomorrow but she doubts they know each other well to this point. After all, they only know him by name. At the moment, she can’t fit the pieces other.

Yeona opens the gate and welcomes the young man in. She gives him a hug which drops her daughter in deeper confusion. She’s definitely missing something.

“You’ve guys met?” They both nod. “...How?”

Seeing her daughter’s confused look and cluelessness, she pats Jongin on the shoulder, leaving all the explaining to him. She tells her, “I’ll just call Jeonho and tell him your boyfriend is here.”

Aeiyoung nods, almost absentmindedly, bewilderment taking over her.

When the older woman walks back inside, Jongin turns to his girlfriend with a gentle smile, “Surprised?”

“Very.” She answers quietly, still in awe. “How did you…” She looks back to where she knows her parents are then back at him, “How did you— Why does Mum look like she met you before? Did you meet them without me k—”

“Yes.” He interrupts, wanting to cut through her perplexity. “I thought I had to see your parents and formally ask for their permission to be your girlfriend myself.”

“How?”

He comes closer to her and explains, “A little over two months ago.”

“Why didn’t you tell me? Was it because you had a business here that’s why you utilised your time and went to see them or…?” The other option inside her head is less likely so she doesn’t continue mentioning it. That can’t be the case… Jongin won’t do that— just for her.

He shakes his head, “No.” She falls into silence. “I intentionally went to see them. It’s in my schedule. I personally asked Reya to do so.” He continues, “I didn’t tell you because you didn’t need to know. Besides, you’ll know sooner or later.”

“And you used your CEO influence to get information where they live?”

Slowly, she is figuring things out. She may not be able to figure the things Jongin is going to do, especially when it comes with, but given her brain, she is able to piece together his ways of how he does it. Despite of that, she still can’t believe.

It’s the first time someone has done something like that for her. To go that extra step, that extra mile for her because truth to be told, she hasn’t mentioned anything about her wanting him to meet her parents and it just amazes her so much that he did it without her even saying anything about it.

He shrugs. “Only because I want my girlfriend’s parents to know how I’m serious with her.”

“Jongin…” She really doesn’t know what to say anymore.

He gives an affectionate smile and steps forward to hug her, kissing the side of her head.

“Then why are you here?” She asks, facing him. “Didn’t you tell me you’re coming tomorrow?”

“I did.” He nods. “But the people I was supposed to meet with cancelled the meeting.” He brushes the strands of her hair that is getting in the way of him seeing her clearer, “Which is a blessing in disguise because I really wanted to be here.” He caresses her cheek with his thumb, “With you.”

Shiloh barks, startling the couple, tearing them away from their moment.

Aeiyoung looks down to her two dogs, Maxi being cute as ever, and the golden retriever looking protective over his owner. She giggles and looks at Jongin, “Sorry, I got to bathe the babies.”

He nods.

“Are you staying over?” She asks as she frees herself from her boyfriend and sits down on the stool to freshen up the dogs, starting from the little one.

He hums, “Yes, I’ve got a hotel room booked nearby.”

She turns to him, “Why not here?”

He’s about to answer when a voice joins in, “Yeah, why not here?”

Both heads turn to the direction where the voice came from, it’s Aeiyoung’s father.

Jongin walks towards him and shakes the older man’s hand, bowing politely as he greets, “Sir.”

He sees Yeona following behind. Jeonho pats his daughter’s boyfriend’s arm. “We’ve got a spare room for you to sleep in. Cancel that hotel room.” He demands.

If so, then the younger male won’t refuse. “Okay, Mr Ji.”

He looks at him, “You brought stuff with you?”

“I did, Sir. It’s in the car.”

“Well done.” He commends.

“Are you hungry, Jongin?” Yeona asks.

Aeiyoung’s boyfriend gazes at her before letting out an abashed smile, “I’m… not. I believe I’m fine, Mrs Ji.”

“Very well, we’ll be inside and leave you two alone.” She bids and her daughter smiles widely.

“Thank you, Mum.” She says softly, putting shampoo on Maxi, massaging her body.

Yeona shakes her head, pulling her husband back inside.

Jongin and Aeiyoung watches the couple go back in and face each other with smiles on their faces. “Want to join me?” She offers and then looks at his attire. “I mean, you look pretty casually smart with your attire but I doubt CEOs do things like this?”

The male chuckles, and decides to join his girlfriend. As he bends, she reaches for another and the last stool available for him to sit on.

“They’re good babies.” She jests but in an affectionate way.

“They look like that. Especially this one over here.” He points towards their golden retriever dog.

She giggles, “Shiloh can get protective but he’s a sweet one.” She explains, and then smirks at him. “Much like you.”

His jaw drops at that, amused and slightly surprised at her witticism.

And before he’s able to retort anything back, she bobs her head towards the water hose and requests sweetly, “Water on little Maxi, please?” He shakes his head, smiling fondly. He reaches for it and waters the dog’s body as she washes the shampoo off. When only a bit of the shampoo is left, she opens up, “I think my parents like you.”

He raises an eyebrow for assurance, “Yeah?”

“Yeah.” She nods.

“Then, I think I can breathe freely with that.”

She breaks into a chuckle, “Why? Did Dad intimidate you a lot?”

“He’s a scary man.” He comments. “Scarier than my father, I must say.”

“Were you nervous when you came here?” She asks. She’s so curious at how things went that time and can’t believe she doesn’t have any clue about it.

“I was…” He recalls and puts turns the water off when Maxi is all clean. “Very nervous and I don’t remember when was the last time I felt that kind of nervousness. Imagine, going to them, introducing myself, without any warning or notice and I didn’t even have any clue if they knew anything about me or not. It was a rash decision on the timing but I don’t regret doing it. But it made it all a lot easier when you apparently have talked to them about me.”

“Was Dad harsh on you?” She continues to ask, drying the little dog with a towel.

“He was.” He admits. “But I totally understand that. I can bet Dad would be like that too with Sera and Jaein.” She curves her lips, grateful for his understanding. “Did you talk highly of me when you talked to them about me?”

She shakes her head and recalls, “They first knew about you when they came over. Remember when I messaged you about it?” He moves his head yes. “I opened up to them because I was lost. I just needed their advice because I didn’t want to commit the same mistake I did like the first although they don’t know anything about it. And the next of it was when I told them that you and I are officially together,” She looks at him affectionately “...that you hold my heart now.”

“What did they say?”

“That they wanted to meet you.” She summarises.

“They did tell me that they appreciate what I did, then.” Jongin thinks that maybe that could be one of the reasons why her parents accepted and gave their blessings to their relationship.

Any parents would appreciate if the man their daughter have a relationship with would take the initiative to make such move. Jongin is glad that he did what he did because he had the chance to tell her parents his real intentions to their daughter because he loves her. If he’s to look back, this isn’t something he’d do— not in a million years. But now, it’s different. Now that he’s got Aeiyoung, he’s able to do things he never even imagined then.

“I guess, that’s enough reason for them to give you their trust on me.” She assumes. “I really did not expect you’d do something like that. And I’m really grateful.”

“You don’t need to be thankful when I do things for you. I do them because I want to.” Everything he does for Aeiyoung, he does because he loves her and he really can’t lose her. He can’t even take the mere thought of it. He doesn’t know what to do when he does.

Aeiyoung looks at his man, can he even fall any deeper to him?

“As much as I want to look at you all day and all night, we still have the big dog to bathe.”

She laughs and notices that Maxi is almost dry. She lets go of her and the little one shakes her body to dry herself. “You’re done, princess.” She calls and then turns to Shiloh, “Now big one, it’s your turn.”


 

Jongin and Aeiyoung are sitting on the rooftop under the brightly lit night sky, filled with sparkling stars, for their first night together in her parent’s house.

Despite being a small family, there is nothing less with the love they are all giving and receiving from one another. Jongin is new to the family. Technically, if he isn’t her boyfriend, his presence is good as a stranger’s. But ever since he arrived, he felt none of that. Both Aeiyoung’s parents welcomed him like he is their own son, like he’s part of the family. It made him feel warm, like he really belonged.

Yeona, much similar to his mother, is very benign and caring especially to her daughter as though Aeiyoung is still her little baby but just an independent one. Jeonho, on the other hand, is man full of humour, laidback and just chill. It’s a much contrary to the first time Jongin met him and introduced himself as his daughter’s boyfriend. He now gets when Aeiyoung told her that her parents like him.

They are both laying on the huge mat over the roof, gazing towards the sky full of stars. His arm is out as a pillow for her head. But she snuggles closer to his side so he can bend his long arm over her shoulder and play with his hand. When she’s had enough, she entwines her fingers to his, turning her head to kiss his jaw. Jongin lets a low chuckle and returns it with a sweet kiss on the top of her head. Aeiyoung smiles and although the man can’t see it, he can feel it.

“This reminds of that time when we stargazed in your yacht.”

The corner of Jongin’s lips curve up, recalling the memory. He can’t forget that. “To think that time, you weren’t even mine yet and now, here we are...” He didn’t need to say more because to it is just as clear to her as it is to him.

Now, he’s starting to be very fond of stargazing, but he won’t do it without Aeiyoung by his side. Stargazing is for both of them, not just for her, certainly, not just for him; but them, together.

“I told you, stars are beautiful.”

He hums, agreeing to her words, “They also gave me the infinity I never had.”

Aeiyoung moves her head, lifting her chin up towards the side to see him. When he feels her doing so, he looks down and meets each other’s gaze.

She doesn’t know what he exactly meant by the stars giving him infinity but whatever it is, she knows he meant beautiful. But the moment her eyes caught his, she can see the oozing glow of love. He’s wearing the gaze enough to make her feel loved without any words, just like how he is holding her now, just like every time his hands hold hers and his lips kiss her.

“Aeiyoung, please promise me something.”

Hearing the sweetness in his voice turn to anguish and insecurity, the lady can’t help but sit up and look at him properly. She lets go of his hand and it’s not even a second, he’s already longing for it.

She looks at him worriedly, “Jongin, what’s wrong?”

He shakes his head side to side, placing his arm under his head as a pillow. “Nothing’s wrong, Aeiyoung. I just want you to promise me that you won’t leave me once you get to know more and more about me and my loathsome past.”

“Jongin…”

“Please promise me…”

Aeiyoung presses her lips together, as she makes a big promise, such a big promise that is very significant to her boyfriend. “I promise.” She says, her voice soft.

He manages to smile, and places a hand over the side of her face. “Thank you.”

Her palm meets the top of his hand that holding her face delicately. She holds onto it for security as she admits, “You’re scaring me.”

He can only give a small and sad smile, because truthfully he’s scared too. He can’t lose her. He can’t.

Just like the insecurity that is creeping up on her, she sees the same with him; more apparent and usually, she would be the one who is like that. That’s why it scares her. A million of worst scenarios are already starting to run through her mind as the reminder of his relationship with his birth mother and that ultrasound baby photo she saw comes back to her head. She can’t help but think it maybe has got to do something with this. But above that, Jongin is important to her so she decides to be the Jongin in their relationship for now— the one who always, always assured her. This is the someone her boyfriend needs and she will be that person for him.

“Do you want to tell me?” She asks, earning a gesture of no as a response as he whispers, Not now. She nods her head, understanding his decision. “Okay, then I’ll wait and I’ll be patient.” She removes the hand that is on her face and places it over her lap, entwining her fingers to his. “Once you are ready, tell me but please, don’t avoid me because you are hiding something from and that you are not ready for me to know. I know it isn’t easy. But I think our relationship goes beyond what you’re saying is an ugly or appalling past of yours.

“I didn’t let you in, into my life and into my heart, just because of the beautiful side you chose to show me or because I wanted a perfect lover to love and be with me. I just wanted someone who will love me for who I really am; not because of what I am. You are a person too, Jongin. We are all humans. So, the moment I decided to welcome your feelings for me, and mine for you, I got myself ready to accept the whole of you. And I want you to trust me, to trust my love for you. Be true to me. Don’t keep me in the dark. Because it’s the way I can only love you more. I won’t judge you for what you did then because I believe it already happened before you even met me. I love you for who you are and not what for what you were then. Do you understand?”

He sighs but understanding everything she said. How did she deserve him despite of how ed up he has been? He sits up and faces her. “I do.” He answers. He meets her eyes when he says, “I just want you to know that I was not an entirely good person like you think I am but I’ve regretted and suffered greatly from it. I’m not going back there.” He promises.

She smiles at him before pulling him into her embrace. “I won’t leave you, Jongin. I won’t.” She whispers but to him it is as clear as a crystal.

 

And he really hopes so.


 

As the night gets darker and colder, they both decide to head in, finding Aeiyoung’s parents by the family room, enjoying their time as they watch a variety show with sharing a bowl of chips placed between them while a bottle of beer and glass of white wine is on the centre table. They don’t notice the younger couple’s presence until their daughter calls her mother softly.

“Oh,” She smiles sheepishly, “We didn’t call you because I thought you two were having your alone sweet moment.”

“Do you want to join us?” Jeonho asks.

Jongin looks at his girlfriend, who just in time also turns to look back at him. “Do you want to?” She asks.

“I don’t mind.” He responds.

Hearing that, Yeona slips her home slippers on to get food and drinks for the couple when she is stopped by her daughter. “Mum, it’s okay. I’ll do it.” Aeiyoung turns to her boyfriend, “Stay here with Mum and Dad, I’ll be quick.”

“You sure you don’t need help?”

“No.” She smiles reassuringly.

“No, I’d like to go with you.” The mother insists and stands up. She eyes on her husband and Jongin. “You boys stay here.”

Jeonho with really no choice just shrugs and lets them be. Jongin, on the other hand, nods his head and sits on the couch adjacent to where her parents were sitting on. When the two figures are down at the kitchen in soft steps, Jeonho grabs the opportunity to talk to his daughter’s boyfriend.

“Jongin, tell me.” He prompts. “How’s my daughter?”

The younger male is looking at the father with a fixed and sincere gaze, answering, “She’s well, Mr Ji.”

“How is she as a girlfriend?” He asks specifically. The confusion in Jongin’s face must be apparent so the man explains himself, “All her life, this is the first she’s had a boyfriend and I do admit, it still feels rather new and unfamiliar to me. My princess has grown up and finally fallen in love. The same time it’s astonishing, too. It’s very nice to see my daughter with someone else other than just her best-friend. One whom she loves and from what I can see just loves her the same.”

Jeonho can’t honestly forget about that time when Aeiyoung opened about this man without them squeezing information out of her. His daughter isn’t the type to share her problems or her worries at all, and usually it would take time and a lot of talking for him and his wife to know what is going on so when she willingly talked about him and her worries, it shocked them but the same time, made them happy and relieved.

The male would be baffled at the mention of him being the first boyfriend if he isn’t aware of the fact that her parents don’t know anything about the existence of her first relationship.

Regardless, he answers his question, feeling his heart warm up as he thinks of it. “She’s sweet and caring, Mr Ji. A perfect girlfriend any boyfriend could have.”

Jongin is positive that Aeiyoung won’t agree to what he just said. But for him, she is that girlfriend to him. One who is serene, who takes time to understand him, the one who tries her best to do things that are out of her usual just for him, who is so smart.And simply because she is just herself and he wouldn’t want any other. She is Aeiyoung— his Ji Aeiyoung.

“There is just so much more about her that I love and will.”

A smile graces the father’s lips. It is the kind wherein he understands and approves the kind of love the male has for his daughter. With all that, there is just one thing he wishes, “My daughter, despite being strong, she is very fragile. She’s gone through so much and I hope you won’t do anything that would scar her more. Can I trust you on this, young man?”

With an assuring nod, he answers, “Yes, Mr Ji.”

“Then, we’re good.” He says, patting the young man’s shoulder.

After that they chat, knowing each other interests and soon falling into a casual conversation only to be interrupted by the ladies. Aeiyoung is carrying the drinks while the mother is carrying a bowl of fruits and some light snacks.

The daughter takes the seat next to her boyfriend, “I didn’t know if you’d be good with drinking beer so I just brought fruit juice since we both drink that.”

“That’s okay.” He says, putting a hand on her waist to pull her closer.

“Did we miss a lot?” asks Yeonha before she takes a bite of the apple she cut.

Jeonho and Jongin glance at each other with guilty faces because they haven’t been watching. They were conversing the entire time they even forgot about the show. And that isn’t missed by the lady of the house.

She slaps her husband on the arm, causing him to yelp like he isn’t a taekwondo instructor at all. “But there will be re-runs.” He drawls.

Jongin and Aeiyoung chuckle at that and rests her head on his shoulder, turning on the TV, enjoying the rest of the show.

Few hours later, now watching a documentary about wild animals, Yeonha sees that her daughter is already snuggled on her boyfriend in slumber. The woman pats her husband for his attention and points towards the couple. For the past couple of hours, the two males have been engaged on exchanging conversation and comments about what is on the screen, the younger lady will sometimes join in and also the mother but it’s mostly them two.

Jongin is unaware that his girlfriend is already asleep, but he makes sure his arms are protectively and warmly wrapped around hers. Sensing eyes are on them, he turns his head and he receives soft smiles. His gaze drops on Aeiyoung and notices that she is already sleeping. He kisses the top of her head and blinks his eyes to the older couple.

Yeonha nods, whispering that she can take her to her room and Jeonho lowers the TV’s volume down. They stand up, the same time Jongin does as he carries Aeiyoung up, ready to give assistance if needed. But to the younger male, the lady is light and not much of trouble. He faces them, bowing slightly to the couple who are sitting back down and the mother mouths a good night with the husband smiling at him, having his full trust.

Jongin lays her on the mattress, making sure she is comfortable and won’t get any body pains the next morning. He wraps her with the duvet, keeping her warm and also to avoid her getting sick. When he finishes, he sits on the edge, tenderly placing his hand on the side of her. He looks at her affectionately, curving his lips fondly and then, he closes his eyes as kisses her on the lips.

Despite in her unconscious state, she responds back to it and hums so softly in content. She snuggles her head into the pillow when he pulls away. He leans back, his eyes not leaving hers when he softly whispers, “I love you, Aeiyoung.”

He stays there for a while before heading down to the spare room that her family let him use for his stay. As much as he wanted to sleep with her on the same bed, and cuddle with her, giving his own warmth over her blanket, he decides not to. He wants to respect both Yeonha and Jeonho as his girl’s parents because even if they are a couple in a romantic relationship, he knows how much they love their daughter and he respects that. After all, despite Aeiyoung being a real and mature adult, her in a relationship is still new to them. Over that, even if with the fact that he has already got their blessings and received their cordial company, he wants them to have that time of adjusting that their daughter is in love with another man.

The next day follows an agenda of simple yet productive day, allowing the four people to keep memories of the time but above that, Aeiyoung is appreciating the scene of how her parents and her boyfriend are getting along so well, like they’ve known each other for a while. She’s got more than what she imagined in getting this holiday in her parent’s home.

Sunday night, they arrive back to the city with J.KEH’s private jet (that Jongin insisted on using, in which the lady got to know about at the very last minute). Making their way down to the ground where Gyo is waiting, as the staff unload their luggages, Aeiyoung feels refreshed and happy. The weekend with her parents can be described as the most precious time of her life. She can’t help but hope for more days like that to come.



 

“Do you really want me there?” Aeiyoung asks over the phone.

“Yes,” Jongin asserts. “You’re my girlfriend and of course, you’d be my date for the night.”

She sighs. For the past two, her boyfriend is getting her to attend a company’s anniversary function he was invited to go to with her but she is hesitating to go. Although she is familiar with such events (having organised and planned them numerous of them in the past as part of her career), she isn’t really keen on going such as a guest herself or someone’s plus-one. She feels like she doesn’t belong to be part of it, and she really hates to be just around doing nothing but being or acting friendly to the other guests.

Feeling her pondering over it, he continues to convince, “I won’t go with anyone else. Please come with me so they know that I’m actually with someone whom I really love.”

She rolls her eyes at his gimmick, “Don’t use that on me now, Jongin. Don’t be mushy.”

“Please?” Then, he threats, “If you’re not coming with me, then I won’t go.”

“Jongin, no.” She objects. “You mentioned you’re with good relationship with them, it’s rude to not go.” She reasons. When he doesn’t say anything, she gives in. She knows he’ll do what he said, if she really would insist on not going. “Okay, fine. I’ll go— for you.” How did she even think she’d be able to resist him?

Jongin beams at that. “Okay, I’ll see you. Do you have a dress?”

“I’m an event coordinator, in case you forgot. I have a few to wear for formal events. Unless there is a dress code?”

“Black tie.” He answers.

Aeiyoung is looking at her wardrobe and sees a long dress that she bought along with Mina couple months ago. She only purchased it because of best-friend’s persistence, because she knew Mina would buy it with her own money, if she didn’t. Now, an opportunity came, she’ll actually be able to use it. “You’re lucky.” She says on the phone.

“I know I am.” He agrees. “Thank you.”

She hums. “The things you make me do…” She mutters but very affectionately.

He chuckles, “I’ll see you.”

“Okay.” She says. “End the call now, I need to get ready.”

“Alright. I love you.”

“I love you too.” She says, with the line cutting. She smiles at the phone before putting it down to take out the hanging dress out of her wardrobe.

The evening gown is black on the inside with its lining in the colour of beige accented with sparkly beadworks, making her body look more slender and slimmer, giving a graceful silhouette. It is sleeveless but reservedly covers her chest, without compromising the reserved but y vibe the gown could give. Since it not a ballgown, it flows down naturally to the floor with alternating colours of the two mentioned colours. It’s a gown perfect for an evening function that goes along appropriately with the dress code.

She takes her phone again and gives her best-friend a call, informing her that she’ll be leaving in a few hours and won’t be home until late. After that, she goes ahead and takes a shower to get herself ready.

She unclips her hair and lets it down when she hears the door open. She knows it’s Jongin because it can’t be anyone but him and also, he’s been over often, he knows the passcode to their place— just like how Chanyeol does.

She hears Jongin knock on the door with a smile, dressed in his black tuxedo, looking more handsome and captivating than ever (she didn’t realise it’d be possible, but then again, her boyfriend has been really charming and has a lot of charms she’s yet to discover).

As he enters, he scans her hair and makeup, falling into awe. “We still have time but you’re already looking stunning.”

Aeiyoung blushes, “Stop it.”

He shrugs, telling her sincerely, “It’s true.”

The lady shakes her head and looks at herself in the mirror for the last time. She lets him know, “I’m ready.”

“Let’s go, then.”

 

They get off the dropping point of the hotel where the party dinner will be held at. They arrive at the biggest function room the establishment has to offer, and entering between the two door, the whole place highlights the word: extravagancy. Numerous expensive chandeliers fill the entire ceiling of the hall, brightly lighting up the place in contrary to dark night outside. Front and behind them people are entering as two, mainly as man and woman, there are some people who are alone as well.

As Jongin leads them to the table, her hand around the hook of his elbow and arm, they hear his name being called. They both turn and an instant professional smile is on the male’s face. The face is familiar to Aeiyoung as well. She wonders who he is as he and his date walk closer to them, and only when he’s a half metre apart she remembers that she saw him in Sehun’s farewell party but he wasn’t there in his welcome party..

“Mr Byun.” Jongin greets.

“Leave it to Baekhyun.” He requests and then notes as he notices Aeiyoung’s presence. “I see you have a date tonight.”

Her boyfriend shakes his head at the wrong information. “Not just my date tonight. Meet Ji Aeiyoung, my girlfriend.”

Baekhyun raises his eyebrow, surprised at that fact but maintains his professionalism, holding his hand out, “Well, pleasure to meet you, Ms Ji.”

Over the time he has seen Jongin in formal and informal events, it is refreshing to see him with a date, whom apparently is his girlfriend.

She puts her purse on her other hand and accepts the gesture. “I think it’s mine, Mr Byun.” She returns.

“I didn’t see you at Sehun’s welcome party. Odd to see you miss out.” Jongin mentions.

He sighs, rather upset. “I was in Macau for business, couldn’t cancel it.”

The man returns a chuckle while the lady smiles, getting a glimpse of Baekhyun’s personality. It’s good impression. There moment is interrupted when a tall and slim, familiar man to all of them (apart from Baekhyun’s date) joins them. Sehun is alone with no date, as the two men expected. He never goes to events with a date, but surely, he won’t leave alone.

“In the end, you got her to come with you.” He notes, talking to his best-friend, as he sets foot next to them.

Aeiyoung smirks in amusement. So, Jongin talked about it with him. She wonders how much pestering did he do to Sehun after her constant refusal. She reacts, “He was very persistent.”

“I had to be, okay?” Jongin defends himself. “I want you here.”

“I’m here now, aren’t I?” She returns.

“It’s good you’re here. Otherwise, I think Jongin won’t even be here if you decided not to come.” The best-friend, nevertheless, comments.

“He did threaten me with that.” She informs, giggling.

Sehun chuckles and then turns to greet Baekhyun and his girl for the night. The jollier man tells them for everyone’s information that a few of their friends in the business are coming shortly. After that, they all start to walk to a table, exclusively reserved for them.

Before they reach there, they are stopped by the event photographer who called J.KEH’s CEO. Jongin turns and smiles as he nods his head, standing in good posture, ready for the photo to be taken. Aeiyoung takes a step back, allowing the male to have his photo taken as a solo but her boyfriend holds a hand out, saying, “Hang on.”

“Okay.” The photographer complies and stands patiently.

Jongin turns to his girl, “What are you doing?”

“Letting you be. You’re going to have your photo taken.” She reasons, slightly confused at his question because that is what is suppose to happen. He’s a bachelor, and she is just his girlfriend, not even his fiancee, or his wife. Technically, she doesn’t exist until they get married.

“But why are you taking a step back?”

“Am I not supposed to?”

“No.” He answers straightaway. He pulls her by the waist gently. With pleading eyes, he whispers, “Take the photo with me.”

She leans closer to his ear, saying quietly, “I’m fine not taking the photo with you. You don’t have to do this.” She doesn’t want him to feel obliged doing so just because he brought her here and she is his girlfriend.

“You’re going to take the photo with me.” He asserts. “Can’t I be proud to show my beautiful girlfriend to the world?”

She feels herself heat up and her cheeks pink. “Don’t be like this here.” She chastises albeit affectionately.

Jongin chuckles and puts his eyes back on the photographer, bobbing his head to gesture he’s ready. He pulls his girl closer to him, making her slightly angle herself so they are both comfortable. They both smile to the camera as the lensman takes the shot.

Taking few clicks to capture images, he bows his head, thanking the couple. They continue their way to the table where Baekhyun and his girl are already settled as Sehun is still yet to come as he is having his photo taken.

Looking around, Aeiyoung notices that not everyone in the venue are bachelors like how Sehun, Jongin and Baekhyun are. There are some old businessmen as well who are with their wife (at least, Aeiyoung assumes that they are their wife) as their dates, and there are women around as well, perhaps with their partners as well.

Now they are seated, Aeiyoung asks her boyfriend of what she’s been really curious about. “Jongin, what’s the event about?” She knows it’s the anniversary of the company but by the looks of things, it definitely looks more than that.

He leans in closer to her, “Do you remember Suho? You must’ve seen him in Sehun’s parties.”

“What about him?” She asks.

“Today, as they celebrate their company’s fiftieth anniversary, he’s going to be officially announced in taking over.”

“I see.” Aeiyoung nods her head.

With almost everyone arriving at the venue, the event starts as the host stands on the stage with the mic. Everyone’s attention are at the person who is speaking, proceeding on with the significant event. After a few speeches, the dinner is served.

Few bites into it, Aeiyoung takes the opportunity to go to the toilet, before another speaker or the program proceeds on.

“Do you want me to accompany you there?” He asks.

The lady shakes her head. “Jongin, I’m not a child. I can go on my own. You stay here.” She says, kissing his cheek and then grabs her purse before she leaves.

“I’ll come with you.” Baekhyun’s date calls.

She waits patiently as they walk side by side to the toilet.

“Aeiyoung, right?” She asks.

“Yes, you are?”

“Yani.” She introduces herself. They enter and stand by the vanity area in front of the mirror. “I don’t know if you should know but I noticed there was a girl staring at you and Mr Kim earlier.”

“Huh?”

Someone else enters and Yani panics. She quickly puts her head and hastily informs Aeiyoung that it is the lady who just entered before going into one of the cubicles.

Jongin’s girlfriend remains nonchalant, like she doesn’t know anything. She remains calm and thinks it’s a good idea to ask her boyfriend about it before doing or feeling anything. That is altered, however, when the suspicious lady talks to her.

“Are you Jongin’s tonight?” She asks, retouching her makeup. “You look too pretty and innocent to be doing such job. The pay must be heaps good, huh?”

Aeiyoung furrows her eyebrows, “Excuse me?”

She closes it and turns to her, “I mean, you can’t possibly be his girlfriend. Though, I must say, you’re the first he took with him at such events like this.”

With a stern voice, she repeats, “Again, excuse me?”

“Do you even know him?”

Before Aeiyoung is able to answer, her phone rings. She looks at the caller I.D. and sees it’s her boyfriend calling. Ignoring the lady, she answers the call.

“Hello.”

“Can you come out now?” She is baffled at the tone she heard, he sounds anxious.

“Why?”

“Just come out now please.” He begs.

“But Yani is still here.”

“Baekhyun is waiting for her. She’ll be fine. He’ll explain.”

“Okay.” She says and ends the call. She glares at the lady and then walks past her. And before she can take another step, she hears her say.

“He’s a monster. Get yourself away from him while you can.”

Aeiyoung takes a deep breath, confused, angry, offended. She is even unsure of emotion she’s feeling. She doesn’t return a look as she heads out of the toilet. There, she sees Jongin, who claims to hug her tightly.

“Let’s go.” He puts her hand on wrist to drag her out of the venue. Few steps to it, she tugs it back.

“Jongin, what is going on?”

He suddenly regrets getting her to come with him. He shouldn’t have.

Sehun comes in and asks, “There’s a lady who talked to you inside, right?”

She nods her head. “How’d you know?”

“What did she say?” The same man questions again.

She eyes on her boyfriend. “Something about Jongin.”

“Aeiyoung, let’s go.” The male mentioned says darkly.

“No, tell me, what is going on!” She demands. “Who is she?”

“Please.”

“Jongin, maybe it’s time for her to know the truth.” Sehun suggests to the man who has his head down, his lips pressed together, pondering.

She gives him a look. “What truth?” She questions.

“It’s better if you know from him.”

So, she pins her gaze to Jongin. “What is it? What is it I should know?” She hears no response.

Second later, the female who talked to her comes out, and Sehun acts up quickly. He grabs her wrist and drags her out of the scene, before anything can spark up.

“Who is she?”

“Aeiyoung, please~”

“Who. Is. She.” She questions again, word by word.

 

He inhales, taking the deepest breath he can and throws his head back in agony. The whole place is celebrating, and cordial contradicting the intensifying tension they both feel between them. He looks at his girl in a serious gaze.


 

He remembers Sehun's words. Maybe, now indeed, is the time for her to know the truth. His nightmare.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

Yes, Chapter 21 is a big and full blown chapter. It won't be long as this one but because of the revelation, I didn't want to make it so long and fill you all up. Prepare yourselves and be ready till then! See you! HAHAHA

I apologise about the change in pacing but with my condition, I have to get this done as soon as I can. I'm sorry for future disappointment.