Chapter Five

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Five

Aeiyoung arrives home and notices that Mina’s car is already parked. She goes inside wondering if she’s still up or asleep. She punches in the code and enters. All the lights are turned off, which only makes her conclude that her best-friend is already asleep.

Quietly, she walks through the lounge and checks on Mina before heading to her bedroom. She takes off her shoes and lays her back flat on her bed. Maybe the day isn’t that bad as she thought it would be.

She gets up and ties her hair up to wash her face. When she finishes, she hears a faint buzzing sound. It’s her phone. She reaches her bag and looks at the caller. It’s Jongin. But why?

“Hello?” she answers.

“Hey, I know we just saw each other and I can’t believe I forgot.”

She wears a puzzled expression. “Is something wrong?”

“No… but I do have a favour. Being you as an Event Coordinator.”

“Is it on your company?” she asks.

“No. It’s a personal one.”

She tilts her head, “What’s up?”

“It’s my mother’s birthday in about six weeks’ time. And I want to give her a surprise party. Something intimate but big and grand. Everything she deserves…”

Aeiyoung smiles at the male’s thoughtfulness as a son. “I’m happy to do that.” She tells him. “When would you like to meet? Are you personally going to look over or…?” She’s unsure in consideration of his presumably busy schedule. Usually, for cases like this and for big clients like Kim Jongin, they would have someone who would be ‘in-charge’ and on top of it, keeping their actual client updated.

“Me, definitely. And more likely my sisters as well, at least one of them. It’s an event personally close and special to me so I’d like to be directly part of it, know every detail and everything that comes with. If ever I’m not available in between, I’m positive one of my sisters would cover.” He says.

“Okay, then.” She jokes, “A hands-on son.”

He knows she’s joking but answers sincerely, “Anything for my Mum.”

“Aren’t you sweet?” Because he really is, she thought.

“Are you free, preferably before the week ends…? I have a business trip to Singapore for three days. And I’ll leave this coming Monday. Or we can meet after.”

Aeiyoung thinks and revises her schedule for the rest of the week mentally. “Would Friday morning be good to you? Say around after eight or nine?”

“I should be. — Anyway, I can get my assistant to call you and arrange that.”

“That would be perfect.”

“I’m looking forward to working with you and your team, Ms Ji.”

She chuckles. “I’m the same and for my team as well. They’ll be delighted. And, we’ll try our very best.”

Jongin has high hopes they won’t disappoint. “See you soon.”

“Oh, yes. Definitely.” Since that talk they had outside the Japanese restaurant earlier, Aeiyoung feels much more at ease. “Good night, Jongin.”

“Good night, Aeiyoung.”

And with that, they end the call, having a good night sleep.

 

By dawn, Mina tries to make as smallest sound as possible in the kitchen, not wanting to wake her best-friend up. But not even twenty minutes into working to it, she jumps at the presence of Aeiyoung, who’s leaning against the wall with a small and amused smile.

“Busy?”

Mina pouts, “I was going to make you a surprise breakfast.”

She walks closer to her while asking, “Why? What’s with the sweet gesture?”

“I just feel bad because I won’t be seeing you for four days… And I thought, why not do something for you before I leave?”

Aeiyoung opens the fridge and looks at her, “I’d like it better if we make it together.”

“Are you not tired? You went home a little bit late last night.”

“No, I’m fine. I also need to get to Iveely early. Please don’t give me that look.” She says when her best-friend gave her a worried gaze.

She sighs. “I trust you’re not going to just do work while I’m gone.”

“I’ll try.” She mumbles softly, though highly doubts it.

“Please.” She urges and grabs a small knife to cut the butter Aeiyoung handed to her.

They continue to prepare their breakfast to eat before they shower and fix themselves for work. Aeiyoung leaves first while Mina is still in the middle of doing her make-up. She knocks to her bedroom and sees her putting on some lipstick.

“Will I see you later?”

Mina smacks her lips together before turning to Aeiyoung. “Yes. Let’s eat out for dinner.”

“With Chan?”

She snorts, “No! I’ll be spending the next four days with him and his family. It’ll be just us together.”

She nods. “Okay. Message me where?”

“Of course, I got it!” She winks.

Aeiyoung shakes her head affectionately before telling the lady that she’ll leave first for work. She hears a soft yell of ‘Take care’ before she closes the door.

 

Aeiyoung is sitting behind her desk when she receives a message from Mina, telling her which new restaurant they would dine in later for dinner. She’s also told that she’s done the reservation and she has nothing to worry about.

She smiles at herself, feeling her best-friend’s unending enthusiasm. She places her phone and continues doing her work when Nara knocks on the door and opens it. “Yes?”

“Someone is on the phone looking for you. Reya of J.KEH. Do I put it through?”

“Go ahead.”

“She’s in line two.”

She nods and says a thank you before answering the phone.

The lady knows it’s for the appointment with Jongin for his plans of holding a surprise birthday party for his mother. She talks with Reya on the phone, looking for a schedule to match with hers and they both agree and confirm on Friday, the next day, at ten in the morning as according to his assistant, he has a breakfast meeting on that day. Aeiyoung, on the other hand, does not have any schedule for Friday until half past one, so it works perfectly. She also volunteers to see her boss in his office with her team so it is less hassle.

Fifteen minutes later, after the phone call, she receives a text message from Jongin.

To: Ji Aeiyoung
From: Kim Jongin
Sent: Thursday, 09:05

“So, I’ll see you tomorrow at ten?”

Aeiyoung thought his assistant must’ve told him already.

To: Kim Jongin
From: Ji Aeiyoung
Sent: Thursday, 09:07

“Yes. I’ll see you then.”

Jongin can’t hide the small smile on his face as he reads her reply. It’s the same smile he’s been wearing since Reya told her that the appointment with her has been confirmed. Usually, he would feel indifferent or unenthusiastic at matters like this because this is nothing like any other. Of course, more than seeing her again, he would get to surprise his dear mother again after so long he’s been meaning to.

He couldn’t believe it. When was the last time he felt so excited about something?

 

 

It’s five in the afternoon when Aeiyoung left the office, heading to see her best-friend for dinner. But before she goes there, she sits behind the wheel inside her car and decides to call her father.

“Hey, Dad!” She greets as soon as he picked up.

“Sweetheart!” His Dad calls. “How have you been?”

“I’m fine. I just called to see how you and Mum are doing.”

“Oh, we’re doing perfectly fine.” Jeonho answers. “Other than your mother’s continuous nagging, we’re doing fine. I’m…” he emphasises, “...doing okay.”

Aeiyoung laughs. She’s always loved her Dad’s humour. “What are you doing? Are you at work?”

“Yes and… no.” She keeps quiet to let him continue. “I’m providing my student with some extra training. He’s about to enter a competition and if it goes well, he might make it to the national team.”

“Wow, Dad! That’s great!” She cheers.

“It is. Definitely!” He agrees. “I’m proud of him.”

“I know you are. You’ve always been proud of your students.” She says. “And you’ve always been an exceptional taekwondo instructor.”

He chuckles. “Am I now?” He asks. “If you were a little kid, I would think you want something.”

“Dad!” She calls defensively. “I’ve always been a good girl.”

“Yes, you were. And a little part of me is hoping you were somewhat rebellious. Raising you was the easiest job you gave to me and Yeona. I wish I was there, by your side when you were younger though.” The smile on the lady’s face fades as memories from her early childhood days enter her thoughts. Brief silence follows so then he blurts out, “Isn’t this getting a little too emotional? I don’t think I’m liking it!”

And just like that, Aeiyoung giggles again, though, lightly. But it’s enough for Jeonho. He wants nothing but to hear, see and feel her daughter happy.

“Are you and Mum going to visit me soon?” She asks. “Or, would you prefer me going there sometime?”

“We talked about that recently actually.” He admits. “And I think we’ll go there. Over the weekend, maybe?”

“This coming weekend?”

“No,” Jeonho laughs. “Definitely not this weekend. Maybe the weekend after.”

“Okay. I’ll see you two then.” And then she breathes, “Dad… can I tell you something?”

“What is it?” He starts to worry, “Did something happen to you?”

She shakes her head though she’s clearly aware that he can’t see it. “I’m just…”

Feeling the hesitance in her daughter, he says, “You can tell me everything.”

She sighs. “I just… I love you, Dad. I can’t wait to see you and Mum soon.”

Jeonho can feel that it isn’t that. And his daughter not speaking up, because of so much hesitation, he knows well that it isn’t something so simple. Aeiyoung has always been an over-thinker but not very expressive so when she expresses herself that something is going on, it is a cue. She wants to talk about it but just can’t bring herself to. So, he decides to let it go because if it is like this, then it’s not something that can be talked about over the phone. They must see each other.

“We love you more, sweetheart.” He tells her sincerely and very warmly.

Saying goodbye to each other, they end the call.

Aeiyoung is scared but being scared and expressing that is nothing but a burden. Burden — being one is something she hated and always been scared and severely anxious of. She takes a deep breath and tries to shake it off as she turns her car’s ignition on to head to Mina.

She parks by the parking lot the new restaurant has provided and heads towards the entrance telling the waitress that there is a reservation under of Seon Mina.

Mina, meanwhile, is waiting patiently on the table with her phone. Aeiyoung calls for her attention and she notices the paper bag sitting next to her. “What’s that?” she asks curiously as she sits down.

“Oh. My present for Chanyeol’s mother.”

“Is it a bag?” The lady can tell.

“It is. Chanyeol said she has this obsession with bags recently.” She explains. “The last time I saw her, she was passionate about scented candles.”

Aeiyoung chuckles at that. She thinks they would make a perfect daughter and mother in law relationship. “Have you ordered?”

“Not yet.” She answers just in time when a waiter approaches them with a menu.

They decide to go with the Chef’s specialty. Waiting for their food, Aeiyoung takes the time to ask her best-friend. “You all ready for tomorrow?”

“I think?” Mina answers nervously.

She giggles. “What time do you leave?”

“Around eleven in the morning. I took the leave of absence.”

“I see.” She nods understandingly. “Oh by the way, you’ll be happy with I’m about to say.” Mina puts her attention all to her. “Mum and Dad might be coming over for a visit next weekend.” She announces.

Aeiyoung notices how her best-friend’s eyes spark as it dilates. “Oh, my gosh! Really? That would be the best thing. I really miss your mother’s maternal care and your Dad’s humour.” She smiles cheekily as she rolls her eyes affectionately or more like… relieved. “Good thing they won’t come this weekend, otherwise, I’d be so mad.”

“I wanted them to.” She confesses. “But, by the looks of things, they’re both busy. Guessing, the longer I wait, the more worth it is when I see them.”

“Very true!” She says, voicing out her very biased opinion. “Also, by any chance, did Mr Kim come and see you at any point after Saturday?”

She eyes at Mina suspiciously, “Why?”

“I got to talk to Sehun earlier and he told me that Jongin asked about you. He was initially wondering if something is going on between you two. But now, I am too.”

“What about me?” she asks.

“Nothing too personal.” She smirks, “It’s not like my cousin knows a lot about you.”

That’s true. Compared to Mina, Sehun probably knows Aeiyoung as much as ten percent. After all, he only gets to know more about her when his cousin talks about her. And, whenever they meet, the lady doesn’t really talk much — well, not much about herself.

“So, did Mr Kim see you?” She asks.

The other lady stares at her before speaking, “He did.”

“And…?”

“He told me he likes me.” She says softly — not excitedly or but anxiously. Mina didn’t miss it.

“What’d you say?”

“I told him.” She answers simply. And before her best-friend could assume more than she should, she clarifies, “I told him that I’m not ready; that I’m scared and always will be. I warned him.” The other lady keeps silent. She doesn’t say anything. Aeiyoung continues, “He’ll get tired of me.”

Mina takes a deep and heavy sigh. By what she heard, she didn’t need to hear to confirm that Aeiyoung likes Kim Jongin. Because if not, it would be easy for her to reject him — like how she did with Kangjun and the other guys who tried to ask her out before graduating and times after that. And she knows all too well where her fears and doubts are coming from and not some simple words of encouragement could get rid of it.

She reaches out to hold her best-friend’s hand. “If Mr Kim really does like you, truly and genuinely, then he will be able to change your fears to love and your doubts to hope.” She leans back. “And plus, if he hurts you, I can go and rip the out of him. I’ll get Sehun with me.”

With Mina’s attempt to lighten up the ambiance, Aeiyoung is able to curve her lips and smile. “You’re crazy.”

“I’m serious. I won’t let the same thing happen to you again. Never again, Aeiyoung.” Anyone can sense the solemnity in her voice.

“Please don’t blame yourself for what happened. You know it wasn’t your fault.”

“But I hate it. I could’ve done something but —”

“Hey,” Aeiyoung interrupts. “Aren’t we supposed to be happy and just have fun? I don’t want the night ending like this and then it won’t be until Monday that I’ll see you again.”

Mina closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. “Okay.”

Just in time, the food they order arrives.

“Oh, want to see a movie? I saw there’s a good one that’s out.”

Aeiyoung sips from her iced tea. “I don’t see why not.”

They both can just tell how fun their girls sober night out would be.

 

 

It’s nine forty-five in the Friday morning, when Aeiyoung and three other members of her team arrive at the lobby of J.KEH. Three of them gasps in astonishment. They knew that their client is big, being a CEO, but they never expected neither it really sunk into them until they stepped in within the premises of their main building.

The Event Coordinator approaches the receptionist with the rest looking around still in confoundment, pointing to the stunning interior of the building. “I’m Ji Aeiyoung, Event Coordinator of Iveely Events and this is my team. We are here for an appointment with Mr Kim Jongin at ten a.m.”

“Yes,” she nods professionally. “My colleague will accompany you to his office.” They received instructions from Reya first thing in the morning.

“Thank you.”

All of them follow the lady, dressed immaculately, towards the lift and she presses the button to the fifteenth floor.

When it slides open, Reya walks around her desk to personally welcome the team.

“Ms Ji Aeiyoung?” she calls.

“Yes, that’s me.” She nods.

The executive assistant smiles and turns to the lady who accompanied them, permitting her to go. She turns around and exits quietly.

“Let me lead your team to the meeting room and Mr Kim will be there shortly.”

Aeiyoung is impressed with the professionalism of Jongin’s employees. And the impression it gave to her since she entered the building is that he employs the best people. If not, they train them to be the best people or employees who knows their job and commit to their responsibilities and duties. It’s even no wonder anymore why he’s successful as she believes that though it starts and continues with a brilliant man, it takes more than that to be this successful.

Meanwhile, Jongin is in the middle of phone call when Reya knocks into his office. He looks at the time on his desk and back at his assistant.

“Hold it right there.” He tells to the person on the other line. “Yes?” he speaks to her.

“Miss Ji and her team has arrived.” She informs.

“I’ll be there in a minute or two. Make sure they’re comfortable; give them drinks, snacks… or anything they need.”

“Will do, Sir.” She politely replies and follows his instructions.

“Yes, please, continue speaking. What’s the specs? Make it brief. I have a meeting.” He talks back to the person on the phone as she turns to her heel and walks off his office.

A minute before the clock strikes at ten, Jongin enters the room. On the table are two Orange juice, one tea and one glass of water. It’s good they were accommodated, he thought.

Aeiyoung stands up with her team following right after the second they notice his presence. They greet each other formally, introducing themselves to him.

Jongin shakes her hand and asks, “How have you been?”

“Great.” She smiles and it’s so sweet to his eyes. “Very good.”

“That’s good.” They let go of each other’s hand and he proceeds to sit at the front, facing everyone.

As it commences, everyone in Aeiyoung’s team has been consistently attentive and cooperative to Jongin’s requests, preferences and what he likes to happen and see. She gives him the photos and rough details of the similar event they have done in the past to help the male. And, they also have been constantly asking questions and giving suggestions back and forth, trying to cover as much as they can for their first appointment.

This was what Aeiyoung briefed them as they travelled from their office to his. She knows how busy and hectic a CEO’s schedule and daily life could be so she doesn’t intend to waste time, especially his. And so far, she is glad at how her team is working together.

The lady is busy talking to this girl who introduced herself as May. She’s instructing to make a call to the restaurant Jongin mentioned that his mother always loved as soon as possible. He watches her carefully, stealing glances from time to time. And he can’t help but just admire to see her in work mode — so professional, mature, shrewd and just… beautiful.

When Aeiyoung’s head turns, he quickly looks away so he doesn’t get caught. He looks around the room and thankfully, everyone is busy talking to each other that no one saw him being that way.

“Mr Kim,” she calls and when she’s got his attention, she shows him the summary of what they covered over the meeting. “These are details of what we covered over the past hour. If there any changes or anything you wish for us to do in additional or otherwise regarding the event, please call us.”

Jongin does a run through the list she gave him, having the impression and assurance that they do know what they’re doing. Usually, he would pay attention and carefully read the summarise reports to check that they got every detail right and precise. But this time, he doesn’t do that. He’s always been good at reading people and he’s sure that Aeiyoung and her team knows what they’re doing.

“Also, about holding the surprise dinner before the actual birthday your Mum…” she starts. “I think it would be a better idea if we hold it after.”

He looks at her, considering the idea.

“Well, you mentioned earlier that your family always holds a birthday dinner for both your Mum and Dad, so I thought, holding that dinner and then having the actual surprise party with her close friends after, would be better because she would get into the idea that it’s all over. Little does she know that you and her daughters have planned an event as such.”

He lines his finger across his bottom lip, considering the idea. “I get what you mean.” He says.

“I’ll leave you to think about and perhaps, discuss about it with your sisters. Please let me know your agreed decision. The sooner, the better.”

“Of course.”

“Great.” She stands up and concludes the meeting.

Aeiyoung’s team start to leave when he calls to hold her back.

“Yes?”

He takes a good look at her before saying, “I just want to say thank you.”

“It’s a pleasure.”

“By the way, Jaein is wondering if you’re you happy to see her this weekend? Are you busy?”

“I’m free for the rest of the weekend after three tomorrow.” She answers. “I can see her any time after that. Would she mind if we meet casually?”

“No.” He shakes his head. “She would prefer that over meeting at the office.”

“Works well, then.” She smiles. “Please get her to call me.”

“Actually, she wanted to come today but she had somewhere to go she can’t cancel. She was so frustrated.” Jongin rolls his eyes slightly, recalling how she whined after realising she isn’t available at the set appointment. She smiles seeing that. “Anyway, it’s great she’s willing. She’s better than I ever will be at these things.” He mutters.

The lady chuckles, “I figured. But you did better than most of my past male clients who held a personal event for their loved ones. I suppose, female touch on these things is essential.”

“I won’t disagree.” He smiles, embarrassed.

“Hey, no need to be like that. I told you, it’s actually very sweet of you to think of doing this for your mother.” Apparently, Kim Jongin isn’t just a good businessman but a good son, as well. She holds her hand out, “I’ll see you soon, Jongin?”

Oh, how he loves to hear her call his name. He slips his onto hers, “Of course, I’ll see you soon.”

 

As Aeiyoung walks out of the room to join her team, waiting for the lift, she quickly notices that there is a problem.

“What’s happening?” she asks, her eyebrows slightly furrowed as they enter.

“Our supplier for the Wedding Expo said they had problems with the materials so they doubt if they can make it to the deadline.”

Her eyes widen in alarm. “What?! That’s impossible!” She remains calm, “Didn’t Tan check over this?”

“Yes, I called him. He said it was fine when checked at the beginning of the week?”

“Then what is going on?” Aeiyoung mutters to herself.

“What do you plan to do, Ms Aeiyoung?”

“What else? I have to go and see them myself. That can’t happen.” She mutters, displeased and annoyed. “But if worse comes to worst, then we need to find another supplier who can accommodate our nearing deadline.” Saying that just makes her realise how much she just hates the thought.

They all sigh. They knew it will be hard work. It’s almost impossible but they have to deal with it.

When the lift reaches ground floor, Aeiyoung strides out and instructs, “Two of you go back to the office. Mrs Tanya will drop by. Nara, come with me.”

They exit the building and goes to their own directions. What a day it’ll be, Aeiyoung thought.

 

Negotiating. Intense and persistent negotiating. That’s what happened as soon as they arrived at the supplier’s warehouse. In all honesty, if she is to choose, she wouldn’t choose them. They have a reputation of being unreliable due to their old and indecisive boss but their works are apparently notable and phenomenal. So, she has no choice but to adapt and work the very best way she can with all of her ability.

It’s already three o’ clock in the afternoon. Aeiyoung hasn’t had proper meal for the day — only drinking coffee in the morning and a glass of water at J.KEH. She checks her phone, finally noticing the message Mina sent her about four hours ago. She smiles at her best-friend’s thoughtfulness of leaving her a message before she leaves for out of town. It’s not the first. In fact, she’s always done it but somehow, Aeiyoung still feels the same way like the first she has.

She replies to her message by telling her to have fun, relax and simply… chill (like what Mina would always say). She imagines her best-friend’s reaction as she reads her reply. Chill? That’s is so unlike Aeiyoung.

She turns to Nara who’s on the phone, booking for a taxi. None of them brought their car as they came as one in J.KEH. They did not expect the circumstance that happened just then as they are supposed to be talking to Mrs Tanya after their appointment with Jongin. But Aeiyoung trusts her team. They can manage; after all, the woman will only be quick and won’t stay for long.

“Hey Nara…” she calls when she’s finished with the phone call.

She turns to her superior. “Yes, Ms Aeiyoung?”

“I just want to commend you that you really did a good job today.” She smiles warmly. “And that you’re doing really… really well.”

Over the six months they’ve been working together, Aeiyoung finally got a chance to tell these words to her. She remembers the younger’s first week at work. Being a fresh graduate, she was anxious — very anxious. But that anxiousness did her great and Aeiyoung was glad at how she handled it.

Hearing those words from the superior Nara respects so much, it’s overwhelming. A lot of people would think that their job is as easy as writing the alphabet. Things only differ at the way and style they write it. But that’s wrong. Their work is just as stressful as it can get, sometimes even more, but being able to succeed at every project and event they work on, it’s fulfilling and rewarding. Of all that, Nara thinks she’s lucky to be part of Aeiyoung’s team because honestly, she wouldn’t wish to be anywhere else.

“Thank you, Ms Aeiyoung.” She bows politely, utterly grateful.

“You’re welcome.” She says.

They stand there for few more minutes when finally, Nara gets notified that the taxi is less than a kilometre away. Seeing the taxi in sight, her phone rings. It’s an unknown number.

“Hello?” She answers, wondering who’s on the other line.

“Hello, is this Ji Aeiyoung?”

“Speaking.” She answers. The taxi stops in front of them and they both enter at the back. Nara tells the driver again where to go.

“Hi!” The caller greets properly, sounding excited. “This is Kim Jaein. I’m Jongin’s younger sister. He told me you know I’ll call.”

“Oh, yes. Hi! How are you doing?”

“I’m good. I’m good. Thanks for asking.” She giggles. “How are you doing?”

“Wonderful.” Aeiyoung smiles. “Jongin said you want to see me over the weekend? Are you available tomorrow?”

“Yes. Please tell me where you want to meet and what time.”

“Anywhere you’d like.” She replies. “And any time after three.”

“How about in Galileo at four?”

“Yes, I’m fine with that. See you, then.”

She cheers. “Looking forward to it. — Also, I’d like to apologise for not being there this morning. If I had a choice I would’ve been there but unfortunately, you can’t postpone your good friend’s flight arrival. I’m really, really, sorry.”

“No, Miss Kim.” She says. “Please don’t apologise. It’s okay. Mr Kim gave us more than we expected.”

“Did he?” She’s shocked but then, she knows why. “Yeah, it’s been about three…two years now that he’s thinking of surprising Mum. But whenever the time comes, at least one of us can’t make it, primarily because we’re overseas or they are the ones overseas for a holiday. It never worked out so I’m glad it did now. It’s all perfect timing. And Jongin has probably already had it all planned out inside his head through this time.”

“It’s actually very thoughtful of your brother.” She admits.

“My brother has always been sweet, thoughtful” She says proudly. “…and protective.” That’s a complain. And it did sound like it. Aeiyoung holds her laugh. “Anyway, I’ll see you tomorrow. Galileo at four.”

“Yep. See you, Miss Kim”

“Bye!”

The call ends.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

I only proofread this once. My eyes are about to fall, haha.

Oh my! Jaein and Aeiyoung are going to meet!!!!