Chapter Sixteen

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Sixteen

“Okay, which shade do you like better?” Mina asks, holding two shades of liquid lipsticks in her hand to Aeiyoung. “They both match your dress.”

“I like this one better.” She grabs the pink lipstick shade as it is the most minimal makeup look for her face. She wants to go with a simple and lighter look, where she’s comfortable with. Anyway, Jongin told her to go with what she’s most comfortable with.

But, Aeiyoung doesn’t want to look just like her daily and usual self. She wants to look beautiful and pleasing for Jongin and his family — as beautiful her face can achieve. Meeting his family for the first time isn’t just like any other event she has planned and organised in the past as a daily thing for her career.

“Where did you get this shade from?” She asks as her best-friend puts the other shade away.

“New York.” Mina answers, opening the tube. “A colleague sent it for me. Ahhh…” She opens into an ‘o’ shape for the other lady to mimic. She bends down and applies the lipstick on her best-friend’s moist and refined-shaped lips.

When she’s finished, her eyes widen in awe at how stunning yet so simply elegant her best-friend looks with her light but shining and alluring makeup with her rose pink lace skater dress that gracefully and stylishly hugs her body. She leaves her hair down, slightly wavy, matching the flow of her attire.

Not sure what to make out of the look in her eyes, Aeiyoung consciously asks her, “What?”

She snaps out of her daze and swallows, “You look so beautiful, Aei.”

She curves her lips, “Yeah?”

“Yes, you do. Watch Jongin be stunned of how you look tonight.”

The lady looks down and blushes. Saying her thanks, she looks up, “I’m glad you arrived today. Otherwise, I would be panicking.” She doesn’t even want to think about it.

Mina giggles cheekily, saying softly, “You’re welcome.” She arrived from Prague this noon and since then, she hasn’t gotten any sleep or rest but it’s worth it — anything for her sister by heart. “When is Jongin picking you up?”

Aeiyoung grabs and opens her phone to look at the time in her glowing screen. “He’ll be here in about five minutes.” She says, follows a ring a second later. Mina raises her eyebrow playfully and pats the back of her best-friend’s shoulder before silently exiting the room.

She slides her finger across the screen, answering the call, “Jongin.”

“Ready?”

Aeiyoung takes another look at herself in the mirror and nervously presses her lips as she responds, “Yeah, I’m ready.”

“Alright, I’ll be outside in a minute.” He says. “See you.”

“Of course, I’ll see you.” She utters with a soft smile before ending the call.

She puts her phone inside her purse and grabs a perfume she always love the scent of — it has a sweet, pleasant smell that isn’t strong at all. She sprays only a little amount of the fragrance on her pulse points, from the back of her ears, to her wrists and down behind her knees. She chooses not wear it heavily as his family might be sensitive to smell. By doing that, she can bet that the scent smells light to nothing at all.

She hears her cue when someone knocks into her door. She smiles and takes her purse, standing up to head her way out. When she opens it, she sees Mina with an excited grin, telling her that Jongin is outside waiting, looking heavenly dashing.

She feels her heart pound as they walk out of the front door to see the male waiting by the gates with his trusted driver-slash-assistant-slash-bodyguard. He’s wearing a smart casual attire by wearing a white with black outer lining dress shirt together with a pair of dark-coloured slacks. His hair is brushed up, revealing more of his charming and bewitching features.

Mina nods at him and he returns it back politely before she turns back to leave the two alone.

“Looking good, Mr Kim.” She says when she’s close by a step away from him. At this point, he knows she isn’t being seriously formal. He doesn’t mind her referring to him in that name as they already have reached the point of comfort where formalities are long put behind.

He smiles pleasantly, “The same way to you, too, Ms Ji. You look simply stunning and ravishing.”

Aeiyoung blushes at the sincerity of his heart-fluttering words of compliment.

Jongin chuckles at that. He offers his hand as Gyo opens the door for the lady. “Ready?”

She takes a deep breath, “Ready.” She answers and takes his hand, politely acknowledging the other male before getting in inside the SUV. Jongin climbs to sit on the other’s side while Gyo takes the driver seat to drive off.

 

The distance from her house to the main residence of the Kim is around two hours away drive with mild traffic in between. The car drives through the secured automatic gates and into the paved arched driveway with a little but sumptuous fountain.

Contrary to what Aeiyoung had in her mind, the mansion of the Kim is very modern looking, brightly lit and somewhat edgy but sleek and minimalist at the same time. Looking at it, perhaps, it was just built not too long ago because it does look very contemporary and luxurious at the same time.

Safely pulling over at the entrance, Gyo opens the door for the lady while Jongin climbs off on his own so he can assist her getting off the car. He gives the driver a courteous nod before permitting him to drive off. As the older man does, Jongin slides his hand around her waist and gives a comforting smile. “How are you feeling?”

She presses her lips together and looks at him with a fast pounding heart. “Nervous.”

Jongin gazes down and shakes his head with the same smile. He looks back up and leans close to her ear, “They’ll love you.” He says — not as words of comfort but because he knows and he’s confident about it. “Let’s go.” He invites, leading her inside the grand foyer.

Aeiyoung inhales with widened eyes as she takes in what’s before her sight. Everything she’s seeing right now is too breathtaking and majestic. She snaps out of her daze when she hears a voice call out Jongin’s name and the male slips his hand off her waist to approach the woman who called him. She turns her head and sees him greet her as he gives her a sweet kiss on the cheek before giving her a hug.

Younji embraces her son tightly, closing her eyes. It wasn’t long since she last saw him but she can’t deny that she did miss her prince so much. When she opens it, she notices the lady standing, fondly watching their scene. She pats the back of her son’s shoulder and pulls back to meet his gaze with stunned eyes… “Is she…?”

Jongin gives a shy smile before nodding his head. His mother didn’t need to finish her question to know what she’s talking about. “She’s Ji Aeiyoung.”

The woman gasps and walks towards the lass with welcoming arms. She can’t believe that her son finally brought the lady she’s been wanting to meet for a while now — the lady who brought so much good and refreshing change to her only son. “Dear…” She calls.

Aeiyoung, baffled for a nanosecond before giving a polite bow to the woman. She takes a step forward, receiving her warm welcome. “Good evening, Mrs Kim.”

Behind, comes Jongin with a pleased smile to formally introduce the two ladies to each other. “Mum, I want you to meet Ji Aeiyoung, my girlfriend.” His mother gasps again in delight. He continues, “Aeiyoung, meet my mother, Kim Younji.”

“Lovely to finally meet you, my dear.”

“It’s more than for me, Mrs Kim.” She opens her purse and gets a white small organza bag with a tiny silver velvet box. “I’d like to greet you a happy birthday.” She greets, giving her little present.

“Oh,” Surprised, she takes it and gives her another hug. “I’m more than happy you are here but thank you for this, darling.” She says appreciatively.

“You’re welcome.”

“Oh, well—”

Younji is interrupted with a loud squeal meters away. The three figures turn to the same direction where a younger lady is sprinting their way towards them. “Aeiyoung! I’m happy you’re finally here! Oh my gosh!” Jaein gives Aeiyoung a hug, slightly off-guard but glad. When they let go, she giggles before turning to her brother and mother then back at her. “So, you’ve met Mum?”

Aeiyoung bobs her head, “I have.”

She boasts to her mother, “She’s lovely, isn’t she?”

The oldest woman has to acknowledge it. When her eyes landed on her, she definitely gave a good impression. “Lovely.” She affirms.

“Okay, since Jongin has arrived, let’s start with dinner. All is set.” The youngest daughter announces.

“Your father?” Younji asks.

“He’s already there with Sera, waiting.” She answers.

Younji and Jaein walks ahead of the other two, leaving them alone but not forgetting to call them over.

Jongin stands next to his girlfriend and looks at her carefully, “You okay?”

“I am… Just a little overwhelmed, I guess.” She answers truthfully. She didn’t expect such welcome from his mother at all. It’s like she knows her all along. So, she wonders, “Did you talk to her about me?”

He nods. “That’s why she’s so keen to meet you. But I couldn’t promise her anything so she’s pleasantly surprised today. That and…” He looks at her in the corner of his eyes. “The fact that you’re my girlfriend, too.”

She feels her cheeks blush, “Why didn’t you tell me?” If he did, she supposes that she might feel less anxious about it.

He shrugs, “I didn’t think I need to.” He stops to properly meet her gaze, “Besides, I know they will like you even if I didn’t say or mention anything about you to them.”

“You’re really think greatly of me, don’t you?”

“I do.” He says without any hesitation. “You often forget how lovely you are, Aeiyoung.”

“Jongin…”

“And I’m here to remind you of that everyday, okay?”

Finding herself being embraced with warmth, she nods. “Okay… Did you tell Sera and Jaein, too?”

“About what?”

“That we’re together.”

“I did. They both know you’re coming, too. But,” he pauses. “Mum doesn’t know that you’ve met Sera already. She only knows that Jaein met you already.”

“Thank you for the heads up.”

He chuckles. “Can’t have our surprise be ruined, baby.” She raises an eyebrow. “Let’s go before we take too long here.” He gives a playful smile. “Otherwise, I might forget that it’s not just us.”

Aeiyoung chortles, heading to the dining area, joining the entire Kim family. Upon meeting eyes with Sera, they greet each other cordially. Beside the oldest daughter, there is the head of the family. She realises that her boyfriend very much resembled like his father — with slight different features that he perhaps got from his birth mother. Regardless, anyone can tell that they are related and that he is Jongin’s father and Jongin is his son.

“Aeiyoung, meet my father, Lawyer Kim Jeho.” The son introduces, “Dad, meet Ji Aeiyoung, my girlfriend.”

“Good evening, Mr Kim.” She bows and holds her hand out and introduces herself personally.

The man accepts it and smiles softly, “Nice to finally meet you, dear.” He eyes on his son, “Nice to finally see my son bring a lady home.” Then, back at her, “a seemingly beautiful and pleasing lady.”

“Thank you for the kind words, Sir.”

“You’re welcome.”

Then Jongin introduces her to Sera as though it’s the first time they met. They exchange pleasantries before Jeho invites everyone for dinner, taking their own seats. Jongin puts a hand on Aeiyoung’s hips guiding her to take the seat next to him.

On the table is several, extravagant dishes served. It’s an immediate indication that the night is a special night, serving special dishes for a special woman.

Aeiyoung is not much of a big eater or neither she has a lot of appetite. It’s always been like that since she was young. Not that she hates food, or she dislikes eating. She does, she’s just not used to it eating in big amounts or often.

Thus, when Younji notices how little of food is in her plate and slowly she’s eating, she can’t help but ask, “Do you not like the food, Aeiyoung?” The younger lady looks up, surprised — catching the attention of the male next to him. “Is there anything you like other than what it is prepared?” She wipes the side of her lips and shakes her head. “I’m sure we can have something…”

“Mrs Kim,” she politely cuts her off in a soft voice. “I’m fine. This is really just how I normally eat.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes,” she nods. “Actually the food is really great.”

“You’re not on a diet, are you?”

“Oh no, no.” She smiles. “I don’t think I’ve really done some kind of diet in the past. It’s always been like this since I was young.”

Younji bobs her head, understanding her. “Okay, but please, feel free to get more if you like.”

“Thank you, Mrs Kim.”

When the older woman’s attention shifts away from her, Jongin places a hand over Aeiyoung’s wrist and leans closer, asking her worriedly. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” She reassures. “Nothing’s wrong.”

“You’ve been really quiet, too.” He notices.

“Yeah, that’s because I like listening better than talking.” She whispers. “I’m fine.”

“You’re not uncomfortable, are you?”

“No,” She shakes her head. “I’m not.”

He looks straight in her eyes, sensing the truth in her words. When he’s convinced, he bends back to his seat and continues eating, while chatting things with his Dad, mostly about his company or his Dad’s past and ongoing cases.

Soon, Sera, using her background in Law, joins in. Jaein and Younji tries to listen, paying attention to get an understanding of what they’re talking about. Aeiyoung is listening carefully, though appearing nonchalant. Then, she decides to speak up, smoothly joining in, opening a new perspective of the case they are currently talking about. She also mentions a constitution of the country with its article number and section in an exquisite but gentle manner as though she’s a lawyer with a soft voice or at least studied law — it results for everyone to fall in a moment of silence, their mouth opened in awe. Even Jongin is surprised.

Aeiyoung purses her lips, feeling self-conscious at everyone’s look towards her. She wonders if there was any part of what she said that is wrong. Her heart pounds nervously. She shouldn’t have done that and just kept listening, considering a veteran lawyer is right in front of her.

“Honey, did you, by any chance, study anything related to Law?” Jeho asks, intrigue.

“I didn’t…” She answers which results for everyone to fall in deeper bewilderment.

“Then, how come…?” Sera starts a question but fails to finish.

But she doesn’t need to finish it since Aeiyoung has an idea what she’s referring about. “Uh… I remember reading about the country’s respective constitutions when I was in University.”

“What did you finish in University, if you don’t mind me asking?” Mr Kim questions, as though he’s interrogating but truth to be told, he finds himself in utmost curiosity.

“I took a combined degree of Bachelor of Business for Tourism and Event Management and also for Marketing.”

“So, not so much into Law or legal matters at all?”

She shakes her head.

Jeho puts his chin in between forefinger and thumbs. “How is it that you know that much in depth of the country’s constitutions?”

“I usually read books of different fields whenever I had free time during the years I was studying. The ones I found interesting the most were Psychology and, Law.”

“Oh my gosh, how clever.” Jaein comments due to her astonishment. “That’s so much studying.”

Aeiyoung chuckles shyly. “I have always loved studying. Though, it can get a little stressful but oddly, I do like the feeling of it.”

The father leans back on his seat and tugs the corner of his lips. “That, I must say, is impressive.”

The lady bows, “Thank you, Mr Kim.” By the time she looks up and her eyes land on Jongin, she sees him smiling fondly at her. If she isn’t wrong, she can see some proudness in it, too — makes her wonder why he’s having that look on her.

The dinner continues on, proceeding to what they were talking on earlier. It’s just now Aeiyoung is engaged in the topic as encouraged by both Sera and Jeho, giving her opinions and inputs where she thinks it’s appropriate. As it goes on, Younji and Jaein eventually gives up the idea that they are going to understand and be able to keep up with it. So, both decides to talk about the upcoming fashion line the younger lass is planning to establish.

They finish the main course and now, they are being served with desserts.

“So, you’re into event managing?” Sera asks, gesturing over the Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart towards Aeiyoung to try. Of course, she knows about Aeiyoung being an event coordinator, but she can’t appear to know that as to their mother, this is the first time they are meeting. She can’t compromise the surprise they’re planning all this time.

She says her thanks before answering, knowing how to play along, “Yes, that’s right. I’m an event coordinator in Iveely, a company for event management.”

Jeho nods, “Yes, I’ve heard of the company — the biggest event management company in the country. They are the ones who planned and organised the wedding of my fellow lawyer’s son’s wedding last year.”

Aeiyoung nods. Though, she did not handle the event itself as another team did, she’s familiar with it.

“It was brilliant. It’s a great company. They know what they’re doing.” He comments.

“If not, Sir, I believe we won’t last long. We can’t put the company’s reputation at risk.” She quips, making the man chuckle.

Jaein gets excited at the topic but masks it. They can’t let their father know or get any type of hints either. “Hang on, don’t those type of companies organise fashion events?”

Aeiyoung sips some water, nodding her head. “Yes, they do. Though, it depends. Some fashion companies do have their own event coordinators so they usually are the ones who plans and manages everything.”

“If ever, do you think you’ll be able to organise my first soft and eventually official launch for this new fashion line I’m planning of establishing?” She wonders.

The lady willingly calls it a close deal. “That would be a pleasure for my team and Iveely. I don’t see why not.”

“Yay!” The youngest lady cheers, even more motivated to proceed on with her plans.

“Uh,” Sera starts, eyeing on Aeiyoung, “I think you would need to get yourself ready if Jaein will ever be your client. She can be very indecisive and ambivalent.” She warns, causing her sister to scowl at her.

The girlfriend chuckles, “Well, I can be a very determined event coordinator.” She says, almost like an assurance.

Jongin gazes at Jaein, joining in as he jokingly apprises, “Hmm, I can’t have you give my girlfriend a hard time.” Aeiyoung playfully pushes his arm.

She pouts. She realises at this point her siblings are just teasing her. “No, I will not! Aeiyoung will love me.”

The called lady can barely bite her smile back. “I bet so.” She expects, because really, she’s grown fond of her over the time they met in the past month and few weeks.

Jeho and Younji are glancing at each other as they watch their childern mostly Jongin and Jaein, mildly teasing and bickering at each other as way of their bonding. Sometimes, Sera would join in but not so much. Over the years, it’s something they are both used and fond of doing. Which makes it a whole better this time because there’s Aeiyoung, a good addition to the trio, tittering. She’s a reserved lady but she knows how to play and get along. When Jeho feels it’s gone too long, he decides to interrupt. If not, he can bet it can go on the entire night. He clears his throat, catching everyone’s attention to him.

“Are you all done with the desserts?” He asks.

They all look at each other and bob their heads as an answer.

Jaein’s face brightens. “Oh my gosh, my favourite part of the night is coming!”

In confusion, Aeiyoung turns to her boyfriend, who’s already leaning closer to her, whispering. “The part of the night where we give our presents to her — being the birthday celebrant.”

“Oh, okay. But I already gave my gift.”

“That’s okay. It’s not a big deal.” He assures.

Jeho stands up like a cue for everyone. They follow and head towards the great room, finding their own seats on the couches. The head of the family starts.

“My Queen.” He calls. Younji meets her husband’s eyes. “Heavens took too long before they gave me you, but now that you are here with me, like I promise everyday, I am going to make you happy and love you for all I can every single day. And…” He fishes out a red velvet box from the inside pocket of his blazer and takes his wife’s hand. She, Jaein and Aeiyoung gasps in awe while Sera has her eyes widened. “This is a ring, which apart from our wedding ring, symbolises my unending love for you.” He says, sliding the ring through her finger. “I love you, my wife.”

“I love you, too! That will never change.” She almost cries, hugging her husband.

Watching such scene is heartwarming, not only for Aeiyoung but for everyone. Speaking of which, she’s in too awe to realise that Jongin is looking at her affectionately. He really hopes she’s his forever, like how his father with his step-mother — that he hopes it will be her he’ll be spending the rest of his life with.

As the older couple pull out from their embrace, Jaein follows.

“Mum, here.” Jaein grabs a bag from the side of the couch and walks to her mother. “Happy Birthday, Mum. Thank you for being such a lovely mother to me, Sera and Jongin. We all know that things wouldn’t be the way they are now if you aren’t here with us. I love you, Mum.”

Younji’s jaw drops, opening the bag. Inside is a Judith Leiber envelope silver clutch. She turns to her daughter who’s wearing a proud and hopeful smile. She puts the clutch back into its bag and puts it aside to give her youngest child a hug. “Thank you, my Jaein.” Then, she cups her daughter’s face dearly. “You are blessing to us too. Don’t forget that.”

“I won’t.” She says softly.

Hating to break the moment, Sera clears . It’s now her turn. She glances at everyone before fixing her gaze on her mother. “Well, I have something to give as well.” A maid comes in and hands her a bag to give to her mother. Jaein stands up to give the spot to her older sister. “When I was on my trip in Germany, I stopped by in Italy and saw this robe that I think would suit you.” Inside the bag, the mother sees a La Perla designer silk satin night robe. “I hope you’ll like it.”

“Oh, I do, darling!” Younji says sincerely. “Thank you so much.”

It’s no surprise to them but it’s one of those things that the Kim siblings and Jeho admires about the Queen of the family. She appreciates everything that is given to her, may it be small or big, expensive or not, it never mattered to her. The presence of her children are enough — more than enough. They are her angels, as they give her purpose in this life, apart from being her husband’s wife.

Jeho turns to his only son. “What about you, son? Have you got something for your Mum?”

Jongin chuckles. “Of course, I do.” He lets go of Aeiyoung’s hand, wh is nodding her head. He stands up, getting a box from the maid. He walks around towards his Mum and everyone knows what the male got for his mother. “You’ve always told me that shoes are very important part of us. They give people a chance to know a little bit about ourselves as a pair of shoes changes the way we move and present ourselves to others. Remember, how you also told me that good shoes takes us to good places?” He kneels on his one knee in front of his mother and takes her heels off, opening the shoebox. He takes her foot and slips in the limited edition Christian Louboutin crystal embellished pump heels — doing the same for the other. He looks at it and a contented smile graces his face. “They look perfect on you, Mum.”

“Yes, they do.” She agrees and turns to everyone so they can see it. “Don’t you think so?”

“They look stunning on you, Mum.” Jaein says with the other two ladies agreeing. Jeho does as well, but don’t all heels look good on ladies? He never gets it.

Younji meets her son’s eyes and cups it, “You know son, I thought bringing Aeiyoung over here was already my present.” He smiles. “Thank you for these heels, my dear son.”

Standing up, he says, “Well, I suppose this year is nothing like any other year. So far, it’s been unexpectedly extraordinary. That’s why, I thought, perhaps giving you something that symbolises one of the many, many things you’ve taught me won’t be a bad additional to me bringing a lovely lady like her here and as my girlfriend. I know how keen you were to meet her. And I knew you how delighted you’d be once you do. I wasn’t wrong.”

The mother stands up, giving his son the warmest hug she can give to him that night.

After that, Jaein and Sera are chatting in the couch while Aeiyoung is at the balcony, standing by the glazed frameless balustrade, holding a glass of champagne, looking out to the beautiful night view and down at the uniquely shaped infinity-like pool. She feels the cool breeze embrace her, in time when a warm, thick coat is being placed over her shoulders. She turns to her side and sees Jongin looking at her with a smile. “The wind is cooler tonight. Cold?”

She laughs quietly before answering, “Just a little bit. But, what about you?”

“I’ll be fine.” Their faces are close, side by side, but neither of them seem to notice. “You surprised me.” He then says. “Everyone actually, especially Dad.”

She sips a little from her champagne. “Was it weird?”

At first, he wonders what she’s referring about, but then he gets it. “No, not at all.” He says. “Just… my girlfriend is a lot smarter than I thought.”

“I’m not, okay?” She reasons, “I won’t be able to know anything if I didn’t read.”

Jongin hums, “Well, reading and understanding content are two different things. People can’t always understand what they read. Thus, reading and understanding its content and putting it into context is a whole different thing.” He points out. He an eyebrow playfully, “I’m sure you know that.”

Aeiyoung nods, “I do.” Then she turns her whole body to face him, “I’m wondering.”

“About what?”

“Did Mrs Kim like the earrings and necklace I gave as a present?”

He chuckles and turns her again to give her a light but warm back hug, kissing the top of her head. “She did. In fact, she’s already wearing it.”

“Wait,” she attempts to shift again when he doesn’t let her. “What do you mean?”

“When it was all finished and we stood up, she went off and came back wearing what you gave.” He tells. “She loves it.” He feels her body relax.

Then, they both hear a chuckle faintly from behind. Both turns to see Mr and Mrs Kim approaching, which gives an opportunity for Aeiyoung to confirm what her boyfriend said just then.

“You two match each other so well.” Younji comments.

With a soft smile, he lets go of hug and steps on the side. He puts his hand over his girlfriend’s waist, keeping her warm and more like, close to him.

“I agree with my wife.” Mr Kim supports. “It’s nice to see my son warming up than he ever did before.” Aeiyoung turns to Jongin confusedly. “He’s a good boy but he’s just a lot warmer with his Mum than he is with me.” He adds, “I also have never seen him so gentle with a woman before.”

“But what about with Sera and Jaein?” Aeiyoung asks in wonder to no one in particular.

“He’s a warm and sweet brother but he’s always showed the stronger, tougher side of him. But here you are, it’s only a matter of more or less four hours and I already saw him unleash the weaker and gentle side of him to you.”

“Dad…” The male calls, wanting his Dad to stop. He feels rather embarrassed. But his father just shrugs, making him almost roll his eyes.

Younji can’t help but smile as she silently watch the three interact. Aeiyoung coming in for her birthday is a surprise but a very pleasant one. What her husband said is right, their son has never seen the side of they saw of him tonight until his girlfriend came.

“Jongin, can I have a word with you?” The mother asks.

He looks at Aeiyoung and she bobs her head. He reluctantly lets go of his girl and proceeds with his Mum, putting his arm over her shoulder as they head towards somewhere private — which leaves Mr Kim and the young lady alone.

“Sir.” she bows slightly, in attempt to dissipate the awkward ambiance between them.

“How long have you known my son for?”

She gulps nervously, “A little over a month and two weeks, Sir.”

She sees him nod his head as he crosses his hands over his chest, which makes her feel more nervous because he looks like he is thinking about something and she can’t seem to figure it out. Jeho is a one intimidating man; she can tell where Jongin got the vibe from whenever he’s on a serious and business mode.

“The reason why I asked is because I am astounded at the change I’ve seen in him over the past month. Jongin, my son…” He pauses, “is a unique and quite a complicated one. Despite being a loving brother to his sisters and a good son to me and Younji, he’s distant and reticent when it comes to the talks of family.” He pauses, “Having a family of his own or even just family particularly, with his birth mother.”

Aeiyoung is attentively listening to what Mr Kim is saying from the very beginning. What the man is talking about is something personal and she won’t take it lightly. “Sir, if I make ask, for what reason…?”

Jeho smiles at the politeness and interest the young lady is showing. “Along with Sera, he’s witness us, me and his birth mother, break apart at such a very young age. It’s a traumatic period of their life, if you ask me. What worries me is that after all that, he hasn’t said anything about it as if it isn’t part of him. Which, in fact, affirms my thoughts that he’s still carrying grudges inside him — may it be for his birth Mum or that part of his life.” He turns to her, “Do you know?”

She wonders, “Do I know what, Sir?”

“That you are the first lady Jongin brought home and introduced to us, his family? Moreover, at his step-mother’s, whom he loves so much, birthday.”

Aeiyoung shakes her head. Does that mean she is Jongin’s first girlfriend? Or maybe, the first girl he took seriously? She isn’t sure and she wants to know — know more than just the questions she currently has inside her head.

“This only shows to me how serious he is of you. That finally, my son is open with the idea of sharing his heart to someone else.” There is a pause. “And to think you’ve only known each other a month and over… you are astounding, Aeiyoung. I don’t mean it in any negative way. In fact, I like you for my son. He has changed over the past month in such a positive way and I am very grateful of that.” He’s decided; after observing her since the dinner began, to now that he has talked to her. “You are good for my son, and if this serves as an official blessing from me to the relationship you both have for each other, then consider it as that.”

“Thank you, Sir.” She bows, wave of relief ambles over her.

“I’m hoping to get to know you more, Ms Ji Aeiyoung.”

“It’s the same for me, Mr Kim.”

The awkwardness and uneasiness Aeiyoung felt earlier has completely disappeared along with the cool air breezing. They share soft smiles as soon, they are accompanied again with a coming back presence.

“I hope you are not being too harsh on my girlfriend, Dad.”

Jeho fakes a gasp as though he is offended, turning to him and then chuckles. “I don’t know. Perhaps, you can ask her yourself.” He shifts a playful gaze back to the lady.

She laughs lightheartedly. Just before she answers, Jongin is already next to her. “Nothing like that.” She says.

“Then, that’s good.” He says, leaving a light peck on her hair at the side of her head.

Jeho has to agree with his wife, they do look great together. He silently hopes that this lady next to his son, is the lady whom Jongin will be with for a long, long time — the lady whom he’ll give his pure love to and the lady who will return the same for him.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

I wrote this with my eyes barely open. So, I'm sorry for allllll the mistakes you encountered there. I promise I'll edit it when I get the chance.

Also, just be aware that from here on, there are still things going on, especially with Jongin's side of story. Just like Aeiyoung, he has his past(s) he wishes to forget.