Epilogue II

Undeniably Lost

Unedited. Recommended to read Author's note.


Epilogue II

In the middle of the night, about nine weeks after she gave birth to her second child, Aena, Aeiyoung wakes up to an empty side of the bed in their cool master’s bedroom. With squinted eyes, she gets up to search for her husband, slipping her bedroom shoes. She ties her robe around her and wanders to their daughter's room with the assumption that Jongin must’ve went there.

Arriving at the room, she sees the door ajar. She gently pushes it more open to allow her to see more view and there, is Jongin’s back with his broad shoulders clad with a plain white shirt. By his position, Aeiyoung knows that their daughter in his arms. She hears her baby coo a little, only to have her father soothe her again.

With careful and soft steps, Aeiyoung makes her way towards the two and slides her arm around her husband’s waist. She presses a kiss on his firm back and she knows (and can hear) Jongin smile.

The male turns a bit and his wife presses the side of her face over his bicep. She reaches for her daughter’s tiny hand and softly touches it.

“Did she cry for long?” The mother asks in a quiet whisper.

Jongin shakes his head, “Just about five minutes ago.”

Seeing that their baby is asleep again, Aeiyoung steps aside and lets the father place their baby back to her cot. When Aena is comfortably lying down, Jongin reaches out to hug his wife, who rests her head on him. She tilts her head up when she asks, “Why didn’t you wake me up?”

“You looked so peaceful sleeping, I couldn’t bear to wake you up.” He simply answers, fondly looking over her serene features. “You deserve some rest too.”

Tracing her thumb over his cheekbones, she says softly, “But you’re just as tired too. You just came from a late night meeting, didn’t you?”

He moves his head side to side. “No, Aeiyoung. I’m talking about everything.” He says. Fixing the loose strand of her hair behind her ear, he slides his hand to hers and tugs her towards the couch in the room. “Come.” He invites, bobbing his head towards the direction.

Aeiyoung submits and follows her husband in light steps, allowing him to have herself sit over his strong thighs. She wraps her arms around his neck, she looks down and studies his countenance that is illuminated by the little cool light from the lamp on the table meters away from them. She stays silent as she knows that he has something to say.

Jongin takes a deep breath as he speaks quietly, “I know how it was tough for you during your pregnancy, when you gave birth and even then when you’re recovering, you were still waking up during the night for our daughter, getting up early for me and Jino— constantly performing your duties as a mother to my children and to me, as my wife.”

Aeiyoung smiles softly. She plays with his locks over his nape and looks straight to his eyes when she starts, “Jongin, I love you. You know that, right?”

He is quick to nod at that. Of course, he does. She never fails to make him feel that.

Feeling her heart warm, she continues, “What I’m doing… this is me showing how much that love is and how it keeps growing stronger and bigger everyday. And like what I said in my vows, I am going to make sure to you will be happy for as much possible, in every way I can. That, I would try my best. Do you remember?”

“I do.” He answers. How can he forget?

“I’m okay, Jongin. I’m happy and honestly, I can’t wish for more. You make me the happiest and make me feel the most loved woman. I’ll forever thank you for that.”

The male shakes his head. “Don’t thank me for the unconditional love I have for you.”

“And it’s the same for me.”

The breath that Jongin lets out is big and heavy as he utters, “But I know how it can get really tiring at times.”

Honestly, he thought he’s used to it. She’s doing the same to Aena like what she did to Jino. But looking at her now, seeing how she has to endure the pain from her surgery, the troubles of being an efficient mother to two kids even at times when she’s so tired herself, to being a perfect wife to him, it pains him. He is really just unsure how she does it. It puzzles him but then again, this very woman he’s holding in his arms is like no other.

But that doesn’t take the desire to do something for Aeiyoung. He wants to do something and everything for his wife but he knows— he knows too well that having a family, having a partner, meant they have to work together. He can’t take everything or even, take over his wife’s role as much as he’s willing to. Because more than being a husband and a wife, they are both parents to their children. They are one. And being united meant they have to share the responsibility.

Perhaps, as Jongin thinks about it, as much as he can do now is to be there, act up to his role as a good husband and father, not out of obligation but out of love for his family. (Which was and is still the case, anyway). He won’t ever exchange his family for anything. All is worthless when he has the love of his life with him, and the bundles of joy that they were blessed with because of the unique love they have for each other.

The same time, he isn’t oblivious to the fact that, as much as being a mother can get tiring, and exhausting for Aeiyoung, Jongin can see how fulfilled and content his wife is every time she sees their kids happy, healthy and active.

“It gets really tiring sometimes.” Aeiyoung admits in response to what her husband said, being never a good liar to him at any point. “But I love it. I love being a mother to your kids. And you,” She rubs the pad of her thumbs over his cheeks as she cups it, “You’ve been so supportive. You’re always there. You’ve taken such good care of us and I hope you see that. Your kids, especially me, we all could feel your love for us and it’s all we could ever ask for.”

Jongin, again, for the many he did and realised before, feels how really lucky he is to have Aeiyoung as his wife, his lover and his lifetime partner. The universe knows how lucky and bliss he still feels with her. Without saying much words, the male takes her hand after kissing the tip of her nose tenderly.

For the rest of the night, walking back to their bedroom, having themselves lay over their bed, the married couple cuddles with each other just like how they would when they were newly weds. Jongin embraces his wife like he’s holding his world— his entire life, safely and warmly. Or maybe he really is holding his whole world. Feeling that warmth, the lady takes a deep breath, taking every dose of love and care he’s giving to her.


 

The following week, Jino slips himself on the chair comfortably as he tells her mother, who is taking the seat next to him. “Mummy, Aena is still sleeping.”

“Yes, she’ll wake up maybe in an hour.” Kissing the apple of her son’s cheek, she hands him the spoon. “Eat, so then you can help Mummy and Mams look after your baby sister later.”

“Is she getting her shots today?” The young boy asks curiously as he feeds himself a spoonful of his favourite breakfast.

“Yes, it’s her immunisation day today.” She answers. Just then, she feels a pair of hands massage the either sides of her shoulders which startles her briefly. Relaxing, she puts her one hand on top of his, and leans her head back to receive a kiss on her forehead. “Ready for work?”

Jongin nods, and takes a seat next to his son. He pushes Jino closer to his mother so then he can minimise the space he has from his wife. Being as close as possible, they hold each other’s hand behind their son’s back. “Are you sure you don’t want me come with you?”

Aeiyoung nods, reassuring. “We’ll be fine. Don’t worry so much, hm? Mum will be with us anyway.” Then, she asks, “What time do you need to go?”

He looks at his watch and hums, “In less than an hour.”

“Okay.” She says and remembers something, “Oh, right.” She stands up and her husband reluctantly lets go of her hand, tugging a smile on her lips. “Make sure you eat this, okay?” She says, giving him the packed food she cooked for him.

“Yes, will do. I have to eat if it’s the love of my life’s cooking.” He quips, making her pinch his nose playfully as he pulls her close to him by the waist. As she brushes his hair with her fingers, he makes a request softly or rather, sweetly. “Can my family come and visit me at the office today? After my baby princess gets her shots?”

The lady tilts her head, “We can, but we wouldn’t want to disturb you.”

“I work better with you guys around.” He justifies and emphasises, “With you around.” Seeing how his wife is thinking about it, he pushes, “Please? I miss you.”

Jongin leans over and presses his head over the lady’s middle, kissing it and smelling his favourite scent of hers. The way how her hand is resting over the back of his head is so comforting too. “Miss me?” She asks, making him look up. “But why?”

They see each other everyday. They start the day with each other and make sure that they end it together. Aeiyoung wonders why.

“I barely get time spent with you, my wife. I miss you.”

“I doubt Mum would want to come over to your office, though.” She mutters but before her husband’s hopes completely crash, she informs him, “But knowing her, I’m sure she would love to take care of Aena for a bit. Our baby princess would need to rest after the shot, too.”

His eyes bright up, “So, you and Jino will come?”

Grinning, she decides to be slightly playful, “I don’t know. Maybe you can ask our boy if he wants and promises that he will behave.”

Optimistic, he turns to his son, not letting go of Aeiyoung at all. “Jino, you want to go to Daddy’s office?”

The young boy beams at his father and nods his head excitedly.

“You’ll be a good boy and behave, right?”

Jino nods again.

With that, Jongin puts his eyes back to his lady. “So…?”

Aeiyoung chuckles and bobs her head. “Okay, we’ll come after I get Mum and Aena back here.”

Now that his day is made, the male’s countenance brightens up even more. “Thank you,” he simply says. “I love you.”

The lady hums. “You kind of have to. I’m your wife, am I not?”

Jongin shakes his head and hugs his wife tighter. “I would still love you even if you weren’t. So much.” He mumbles deeply and clearly, enough for Aeiyoung to hear and have her heart be filled with warmth.

“Mummy! Daddy!” Jino calls after drinking his warm glass of milk, putting a halt to the moment his parents were having. At once, they turn towards him, giving their full attention. “My birthday is next month. Can we go and see Mama and Papa at Jeju?”

“Do you miss them, my little prince?” Aeiyoung asks as she reaches out her hand to wipe the milk above her son’s lips with her thumb.

The young boy bobs his head. “It’s been so long since I’ve played with Papa!” He utters, emphasising on the word long in the most adorable way. “Mams and Paps should come along too!”

That makes the parents chuckle. At that, the wife gets off her husband’s lap, giving opportunity for the latter to carry their son and take over the spot. She stays close, her arm around his shoulder as the father tells the young boy, “I’m sure they would love that. But is that all you want for your sixth birthday?”

Jino hums, nodding. “You, Mummy, baby Aena, Mams, Paps, Mama and Papa!” Then he wonders to himself, allowing his parents to hear it, “Would Aunt Sera’s and Aunt Jaein’s family be able to come too? What about Uncle Sehun?” He turns to his father. “He can’t say no to me, right?”

Jongin is positive his best-friend can’t (Sehun loves his son godson) so he bobs his head. Above that, he thinks Sehun will be fond of the idea because then, Sehun can take his wife and his daughter out of town too. He’s mentioned how busy his days are so far and perhaps, Jongin’s son’s birthday might just be a perfect excuse so he can back off from working and actually spend time that Sehun fully knows he needs with his family. That being not an issue, Jino’s fathers asks, “What about your friends at school?”

“We can always have a playdate at another time.” He hopes and then turns to his Mum. “Right, Mummy?”

“I’m positive we can arrange something, sweetie.” Aeiyoung assures.

Jino cheers, happy with how things turned out. Then, couple seconds later though, they hear Aena waking up from her sleep through the device they have so they can any monitor sounds and movements made by the baby. That makes the mother note, “Looks like someone wants to join us and isn’t allowing her Dad to leave without greeting him a good morning.”

Jongin lets a chuckle out and gets up as Jino hops off. “I’ll get our princess.”

“You’re already dressed.” She says, but it isn’t like that’s going to stop the father anyway. She shakes her head with a smile after he raises an eyebrow at her, “Okay, go then, Daddy.”

As he walks up towards their daughter’s bedroom, Aeiyoung goes on and takes care of Jino again, telling him to brush his teeth as he is finished with his breakfast.

As the father returns with their daughter in his arms, Aeiyoung comes forth and greets the little baby with their son coming and joining in two minutes later.

The rest of the morning, well at least until Jongin has to go for work, the family of four spend it together. Jino plays with his younger sister (while still being in the father’s arm) by giving her soft kisses on her little hand. Aeiyoung lets the boys play with Aena for a bit before she decides to take her from her father, couple minutes before he has to leave for work.

Just before leaving though, Jongin kisses his son, his daughter and of course, his wife. “I’ll see you and Jino later?” He asks.

Giving a sweet smile, she nods her head as she answers, “Yes, see you later, love.”

With that, he leans in again to kiss her lips softly but the same time, warmly.


 

Fights. Fights are normal to occur between married couples. Jongin and Aeiyoung are no exception because it is presently happening between them now.

Coming back from her parent’s wedding anniversary party, they enter their room, with their children asleep in their own bedrooms. The lady takes off her shoes and her jewelleries, giving her husband a warning that breaks the long silence after the heavy tension hanging in the air. Neither of them have said anything for the rest of the event when Jongin heard an unpleasant revelation from his father, not even when they were on their way back when the dinner finished. “If you’re mad and you’re going to yell at me, make sure you won’t wake the kids up.” She darts her eyes at him as she ties her hair up in a messy bun, “I don’t want any of them to hear us fighting.”

“Aeiyoung—” Jongin takes a deep breath, clueless to how he should approach the situation before them. He closes the door behind them.

“She is still your birth mother, Jongin.” She emphasises, taking off her dress, leaving her with her undies. She turns her head and looks at her husband sideways. “And as her son, you have to forgive her. Not for her, but at least for yourself.”

“Why did you do that? Why did you do something like that?” He mutters lowly and darkly.

But the lady simply answers to that with, “Because I am your wife. I am your partner.” There is apprehension as she thinks of the question she’s about to ask. She knows this shouldn’t even be a question but the spur of the moment pushes her too. Hence, with a pained voice, she questions, “Am I not?”

While celebrating Jino’s birthday during the weekend they spent at Jeju, Aeiyoung heard that Jongin’s birth mother has left the world about half a year ago. Hearing that, she was keen to know more details for her husband’s sake and fortunately Jeho helped her with it, thinking about his son. The same way for her, more than wanting to know what happened, like mentioned, she did it for his sake. Because she knows all too well that until up to this date, he really hasn’t fully forgiven his mother. And she isn’t wrong.

“Now, if you were not happy with what I did, fine. I am not going to force you. In the end, it’s your choice.” She states, now dressed up in her nighties. “Everything is in there,” She says, pointing towards a folder, resting on their mattress. “All the details from the point you stopped investigating on her, it’s in there.”

With his jaw clenched, he asks, “Why did you hide the fact that you did this from me? Why did I have to know from Dad?”

“I was going to let you know.” She clarifies. “I knew how you’d react. Look at you.” She pauses, halting her steps from going to the bathroom. “I knew you’d stop me so I just did it.” She breathes out, soothing her heated self. Then, she continues to go towards where she was going and refreshes herself by removing her makeup and washing her face. Her husband follow closely behind her as he leans by the doorframe. His figure is reflected by the massive mirror. Done, she turns the tap off, and looks at the expression he is wearing through the reflection.

Now that she thinks about it, it really didn’t matter from whom Jongin heard it from. She knows her husband and she knows that regardless, he will still react the same way. The pain he carries against his birth mother is still the same though hidden well. Slowly, she takes a step around to face him, “Look Jongin, whether you like it or not, your birth mother is a part of you. And you have to forgive her for what she has done. Fully let go of all the pain she caused you and your family. Like how your father did.” She presses her lips together. “Like how Sera did.”

“And how do you know that?” He grits out. “How do you know that I haven’t let go of all the pain from the neglection she caused?”

Aeiyoung smirks slightly but in no mock. “See how you’re reacting right now. That itself is an answer.”

The man looks away, admitting to himself that what she said is true and with him not saying anything, Aeiyoung grabs a towel to dry her face. She takes her smartphone with her and instead of heading to their bed, she heads out, making him widen his eyes in panic, anger dissipating — almost forgetting that they are in the middle of argument.

“Where are you going?” He asks, sounding so clueless and hurt.

“I’ll let you on your own tonight. To have some time to think.” She lets him know, “I’ll be in Jino’s room.”

Before she takes a step away though, Jongin grabs her by snaking his arms around her waist, resting his forehead on her shoulder. “Don’t.” He breathes and lifts his head to place his soft pillows over the crook of her neck. “It’ll be too cold without you.” He whispers, his lips grazing over her skin.

Aeiyoung takes a deep breath with her heart beating fast even after so many years of being together. She takes her moment to answer but when she does, it crushes the male’s heart. “No. We will talk tomorrow, okay?”

The male shakes his head stubbornly, tightening his hold on her. “No.” He says firmly. “I can’t.” He repeats, “I can’t. I don’t want you to go to sleep with us fighting like this.”

Nibbling her lips together, she inhales and turns around to cup her husband’s face. He doesn’t remove his arms off her waist. “I’m not mad.” She assures. “I just want you to think this over carefully. Without me or anyone influencing and pushing it to you. This is about you, Jongin. Not us.”

“But you’re my other half now.” He whispers. “Please, just... stay and sleep with me.” Apart from the fact that he loathes the thought of sleeping on his own without his wife when she is there — empty and cold, he knows to himself that only her can keep him together. He knows that at this moment, he is able to think rationally if she is around him and not away from him. Because as exaggerated and ridiculous it may sound, after fighting just like that, Jongin might lose his mind altogether if she is to stray away. He never liked fighting with his wife. He doesn’t like her upset and angry with him.

Kim Jongin is a strong man but when it’s the love of his life they’re talking about, just like all the other times, this facade falls easily.

“I’m staying.” She says as a matter of fact, now displaying a sincere and reassuring smile. With him not saying anything, the lady comes to a decision. She withdraws her hands on his face and coldness already strikes through him. But then that vanishes when he hears her say, “Okay, wash up and change. I’ll be on the bed. I’m going to wait.”

Reaching for her hand to squeeze, he quietly tells her, “I’ll be quick.”

Aeiyoung nods. “Okay.” She smiles as they withdraw their hands.

Watching the male take steps to wash and dress to his pyjamas, she makes her way to their bed. The moment gives her opportunity to rethink things. She knows that it isn’t easy for her husband. In fact, it might be harder for him than she can ever imagine but then, she thought that this needs to be done for Jongin himself. She needs him to open his mind. And though things are very uncertain for now, Aeiyoung is sure to be by her love’s side no matter how long it’ll take and how it would be hard for him. She will be there just like how he has always been for her.

Around twenty minutes later, as Jongin comes out and approaches the bed, she sees his still crestfallen face. And being unable to bear any of that longer, she gets up from her bed and slides her hand down to his arm all the way until it is slipped into his. She clenches it and smiles, hoping to remove such expression from his countenance. She really doesn’t wish to see this of him.

They climb over the mattress and settles in. Jongin, however, doesn’t waste a moment when he quickly pulls his wife towards him and snuggles his head over her chest. Though slightly surprised by that, Aeiyoung doesn’t mind and puts her arms around him securely and warmly. Only in his wife’s arms, in her embrace, he’ll ever feel so warm.

Her lips are over the top of his hair and presses it before saying softly, “Jongin, you know I’ll never leave you.”

Several years into the marriage and being together, the male remains adamant on his standing even before — at the start of their relationship. “I don’t want you to, ever.” He’ll never be ready for that for she completes his life, makes him feel so loved, so worthy and just everything.

He feels her shake her head. “I won’t.” She promises. She takes a deep breath again before saying, “I’m sorry for what I did. I really am but I don’t regret it.” She continues, “I still would’ve done it, regardless.”

It takes a couple of seconds for the male to glance up at her. “Why?”

“Because you are such a lovely person, Jongin.” She asserts. “And that grudge you have for your mother, you don’t need that. You don’t deserve that.”

Letting his facade show even more, he gives in. “I just—” He stops but feels the support from his wife. “I just don’t think I’m ready to face her. There’s just so much anger and resentment towards her and I feel like I’ll forever hate her so much for that.”

Aeiyoung smiles tightly and so sadly, “You don’t hate her, love.” She enlightens him, “Maybe you’re angry and though you know a part of why things have turned out that way, I know you still have questions for her to answer.” Brushing her fingers through his locks, she continues sincerely, “And I’m so sorry that she won’t be able to do any of that anymore. But, I know that from time to time, you think about her. It’s just the rancour that remains to linger inside you, that was stopping you from looking out for her.” Knowing her husband, Aeiyoung is more than sure that it is not hate that he has towards his birth mother. She’s sure of that.

Jongin is surprised upon hearing such words. She makes him realise things that he isn’t even aware about. “How did you know that?”

She chuckles lowly, hoping to make the ambiance lighter, “I am your wife, aren’t I?”

My Queen.” He emphasises. He now understands because it’s Aeiyoung that completes him. Putting his head back over her chest, he speaks again, making her feel the rumble inside his chest as he does so. “But I need you with me. You have to be with me when I visit her.”

There is no hesitation on Aeiyoung’s part when she responds, “Of course.”

“I’m sorry for what I did.” He then apologises, catching the female off guard. He looks at her eyes with a soft but deep gaze. “I shouldn’t have done that. I just… I didn’t k—”

“Shh…” His wife hushes him, her thumb placed over his lips. “It’s okay, Jongin. I understand.” She assures. “For now, maybe rest your mind? The kids and I will be here.”

Exhausted, he doesn’t object and murmurs a sweet, “Good night, love.”

“Good night.” She responds with a kiss on the top of his head.

The next morning, just like she said, Jongin wakes up, greeted by his son, and his wife who is sitting next to their baby daughter as she lays on the space next to him.

“Dad!” Jino calls, hitting his father’s thighs with minimal strength. “Wake up! You’ve been sleeping for so long.”

Jongin lets out a gruff chuckle and ruffles his son’s hair. “I’m up. I’m up.” He says upon sitting up. “Good morning, Jino.” He greets, squeezing the boy’s cheek before turning to his wife endearingly. “Good morning, love.”

“Good morning, love.” Aeiyoung responds, glad that the countenance she sees of him is now refreshed. “Baby Aena came to greet you too.” She says and they both turn to the baby.

The father shuffles and leans in to kiss the baby on her stomach, producing a big kissing sound as he greets her as well.

The family bonds together on the bed, playing, giggling, teasing and chatting around. At ten to ten in the morning, six year old boy is full of energy, never running out of energy and stories to tell his parents, particularly his father. The mother watches fondly as the youngest child of the family is in her arms. And once Jino’s attention turned to his mother, it’s at that moment Jongin deduces: there is nothing in life he can’t overcome with his children and his wife by his side.

The same morning, before coming down to eat for brunch, the male comes to a decision that he is going to face his birth mother. He realises now that he is in this chapter of his life, he needs to come in terms with the past he has been running away from for a long time. What his wife said is right, he needs to free himself from the grudge he is still holding against his birth mother. Jongin needs to officially and genuinely leave all of it on the place of where it should be: the past. But like his thoughts last night, he is going to do it with his wife with him, after all, she is his other half now.

Therefore the following weekend, with his Aeiyoung and his children, Jongin visits his birth mother’s grave. The journey itself is a lot easier than what he had imagined. Facing his mother is something he thought he never needed until it happened. He feels a big part of the pressure over his heart about his past lifted. Yes, he still has questions he wants answered but now it doesn’t really matter as much because he has his family of his own. They are more than enough to fill what was missing. He is contented with his life now and honestly, he won’t ask for more. He’s got what he needs and he’s so, so thankful for that.


 

Aeiyoung is leaning against the glass wall at the patio, looking out to her family by the opening, giving her a perfect view to watch her family. Jino is currently playing soccer with his friends from the soccer club he’s in while Aena is with Jongin’s mother. She has her hands over the both of her arms as she has a fond smile painted in her lips.

It isn’t until later when her husband hugs her from the back with his one arm around her shoulder, resting his chin over it. Aeiyoung places both of her hands on Jongin’s arm as they lean on each other’s side faces.

“Okay?” The male asks, curious as he saw her standing far away and not with their daughter and his mother. Aeiyoung hums as a yes and she feels a pair of warm and full lips press on her temple. “Dad just went to the toilet. He’ll be joining Mum and our princess soon.”

The lady smiles at that. She doesn’t say anything but with Jongin knowing her so well after so many years, that kind of silence isn’t something he is bothered with. It’s a good kind of silence, and being almost like a reflection of each other, she might be just feeling the same sensation he is feeling at the moment.

That is… gratefulness.

And he isn’t entirely wrong when he hears her say, “I’m so happy, Jongin. I’m so grateful and everything, especially now, feels so much like a dream.” She looks at him to see that he already had his eyes on her. “I can’t believe it.”

Jongin presses his lips onto his wife again, except this time, it’s on her hair. Then he tightens his hold around her. He agrees with her. Everything seems so surreal but, at the same time, so right. Everything is in the right place: both of his sisters have their own family now, Younji, Jeho, Yeonha and Jeonho are all well and healthy, Sehun and his wife already has a daughter, Jino is a healthy and active six year old boy and Aena is now six months old, giggly, healthy and all angelic. And then there is his wife, so strong, so lovely, so beautiful and just— would words be ever enough to describe the love of his life? He thinks no. Because his woman is like no other. That, he is very, very sure of.

“Are you happy?” He asks her, making the latter look at him and scrutinize his countenance.

When she sees that it’s a genuine question, she melts into the most serene smile and answers, “Very.”

Jongin, at that moment, realises that he’s got to do more. Since Aeiyoung’s first pregnancy, all they focused on was her and their child’s wellbeing. She didn’t get to go out a lot as her condition fell under high-risk hence, most of the time, Aeiyoung was in bed and if ever they were to go out, she was under close supervision. Regular family dinner with both families started to be mostly held in their home as the husband didn’t wish for his pregnant wife to travel here and there. Jongin gave the best care he could give to his love during that entire time. He minimised his schedules overseas and for most of the time, if he knew that his VP can handle it, he would leave it to her. It was only on occasional events that Jongin went and if he would, he always made sure that Aeyioung won’t be alone and that, she would be with a family. Risking anything wasn’t on his watch then. He didn’t want anything happening to her.

And when Aeiyoung gave birth to Jino, their time together were shared. She had to recover from the procedure, and when she did, all her focus were equally divided to her son and him. If he was asked, they barely, if not none, had time spent together without worrying about their child. Jongin was busy balancing his time mainly J.KEH’s CEO, Aeiyoung’s husband and Jino’s father. And though he was successful at it, he knew he had to do more. More for his wife. Because really, she wasn’t any different. Aeiyoung sacrificed the career she loved to look after her health, him, and Jino. Albeit she didn’t face this alone, Jongin knew the worth of his love’s sacrifice and even if she didn’t complain, he knew she missed doing something more.

That’s why when he saw an opportunity, and Jino was more than a year old, he offered Aeiyoung a position in J.KEH; a position where she could utilise her skills and her experience and still be able to give the right amount of time and attention for their son. Balancing all of that wasn’t easy but Jongin was thankful that he could still bring and accompany his family to holidays overseas, at times just them as family, at times family of either would come with them.

Years passed, Aeiyoung found out that she was into her second pregnancy. The first emotion that Jongin felt was worry as flashbacks of her giving birth to Jino hit him but the second thought that entered his mind was stronger, eliciting the second emotion that through him. He felt both happy and blessed. He knew that it was a blessing and despite being worried, he felt more blessed. Their family has gone through a lot and surely, he knew this wouldn’t bring them down. And he was right because the birth of his second child with Aeiyoung was all filled with love— that and he didn’t have to go through the same horror he did and it was simply because they knew better.

And though, Aeiyoung is a mother to his children and is a wife to him where he could never ask for more, and him is a father to her children and a husband she’ll forever be thankful of, Jongin plans to do something with his wife wherein it’s just them. Where their kids won’t be around and they don’t have to worry about them. He loves his kids, no doubt on that, but he wants to spend some time with her alone. He wants her to feel like the Queen and Princess she is in his life. Just them. no one else. He misses that.

So, the night of that same day, after his sister and her family and his parents have left, and his wife is putting their kids to bed, Jongin excuses himself and makes last minute (almost a spontaneous one) plan to take out Aeiyoung and spends the next few days together.

That is why, two mornings after, Aeiyoung wakes up from a good night sleep with her husband hovering over her. She opens her eyes with a blurry view as it adjusts to bright surrounding. Then, she hears him chuckle quietly, then feels his lips press over her forehead as he greets with his honey-like voice. “Good morning, my love.”

Taking a deep but light breath, she surrounds his neck with her arm and smiles. “What is going on that I have my husband all over me this morning?”

Jongin playfully squints his eyes at her as he props himself with the palm of his hands on the either side of his wife, on arm bent. “Nothing is going on but, your parents are over and currently, Aena is with your Mum and Jino is playing with his Papa.”

The lady tilts her head, slightly confused. As far as she knows, her parents don’t arrive until the weekend, that is the day after tomorrow. She is about to ask about it when the male beats her in ending her cluelessness.

“I’m going to take you somewhere.” He says. “Just you and I.”

“Where are we going?”

Jongin leans and whispers to her ear, letting his lips graze over her skin as he answers, “To the beginning.”

Aeiyoung takes her time and looks at her husband in the eye. His gaze at her are fond and earnest until the second his biggest hint finally hits her and a proud smile curves his lips. There is a hint of excitement in her voice when she asks, “We’re going to The Aurora?”

Jongin chuckles and nods. “Can I have my wife all to me for the next two days?”

The sweet smile appears in Aeiyoung’s lips as she responds, “Of course, my husband.”

“Everything is packed.” He informs her as she gets up, tying her robe around her body. She slips in her bedroom slippers as she listens to him. “Your parents are more than willing to look after our kids. Gyo will be driving us there and we’re ready to board.”

Aeiyoung squints her eyes at the bloom of her husband’s sneaky character. He can really be sneaky without her realising, particularly at times when he’s passionate about it. Years of marriage, everyone would think that they would catch on each other whenever one is being secretive or sneaky but they both guess that when a heart is so passionate to give their partner some form of delayed gratification, they can do everything to hide it until to the point it is showtime. It’s because of that Aeiyoung can’t help but still feel amazed at his ways. Who would have guess that he thought of something like this at the midst of his hectic schedule?

Before Jongin’s woman heads to get ready, she cups his face and gives her the sweetest morning kiss. He breathes the kiss in, not expecting that but enjoys every bit of it.

When she pulls away, she tells him softly, “I won’t take long.”

“Okay.” He smiles. Regardless, he’s going to wait for her anyway.

Aeiyoung enters the bathroom and stands before the bright and white vanity. She refreshes herself. She goes to her wardrobe and puts on a simple and comfortable outfit. It doesn’t take her nearly an hour before she is ready to go.

All good to go, she sees Jongin standing by the balcony, on his phone. But when he senses her presence standing behind him, he turns his head and smiles. He wraps up the call quickly and saunters over to her. He slips his arm around her waist and hugs her, the same time lifting her up. Aeiyoung laughs happily and the brightest glow is filling her countenance.

“Ready?” He asks, nudging his nose under her jaw. She giggles.

“Yes.” She bobs her head. “Let’s see our kids before we go.”

“Of course.” He agrees. He’s thinking the same.

They walk in the playroom at the ground floor of their home, wherein it is facing the wide and green backyard where Jino runs around and usually rolls over. It gives the room a very bright ambiance, perfect for their kids. There, they find Aena with her Mama, like Jongin had said. She is sitting over her grandmother’s lap on the floor, still supported as she plays with her soft toys. Meanwhile, they look out the massive glass window and sees Jino and Jeonho playing. Their son being so full energy even though noon hasn’t passed yet.

Noticing the presence of her child and her son-in-law, Yeonha smiles and tells the little baby that her parents are their to see her. Aeiyoung and Jongin sits on the floor but doesn’t take the baby away from the older woman as she looks comfortable already. The former holds her daughter’s tiny hand and greets her a good morning. They talk for a bit before they leave, not forgetting to kiss their child.

“You two relax. You both deserve some time of your own.” Yeonha tells the two.

“Thank you, Mum.” Aeiyoung says softly and kisses her mother as well.

“No worries, hun.” She pats her arm. “Go now and say goodbye to Jino. Though, I doubt he wants his time with his grandfather interrupted.”

Jongin chuckles at that as he sees that his son is having the time of his life. Jino is running around, laughing as Jeonho chases after him. The young boy is calling his grandfather, urging him to hurry up.

“Yeah,” The mother agrees, now looking at the same direction. “He’s having so much fun.”

“I think my grandson is forgetting that his grandfather is getting old.” Yeonha remarks, eyes shifting from her husband to her granddaughter back and forth. “And that old man is forgetting that he’s not getting any younger.”

The pair laughs, because it is so true.

“We’ll just say goodbye to Dad and Jino and then we’ll go.” Aeiyoung informs her mother. “Call us, if anything?”

“Don’t worry so much. Like I said, just relax and come back refreshed.” She reassures. “We’ll be fine.”

“Okay.” She nods and gives her a final quick kiss on the cheek before they started walking out of the room and towards the backyard. Jongin gives his greetings and does the same before joining his wife in taking his leave too.

“Jino!” Aeiyoung calls as Jongin’s arms are around her shoulders.

They watch the young boy snap his head towards their direction as he stops running. His face lights up and begins to run over to his parents, excited to greet his parents. Quietly, Jeonho follows, watching at the family reverently.

Both bent over, Aeiyoung takes both of her son’s hand while the father ruffles his head. “Mum and Dad will be out in the next few days. Can you be a big boy and help Mama and Papa look after your little sister while we’re gone?”

Jino nods at his mother as he hums. “Dad already told me last night. I promised him last night too.”

Not really surprised, Aeiyoung glances at her husband with a grateful and loving gaze. She turns her sight back to the young boy. “Can you promise Mum too?”

“I promise.” He utters sincerely. “I won’t give Mama and Papa a hard time too. I’ll be a good boy.”

“Okay, Mummy is trusting your word now. Have fun and take care of yourself, okay?”

Jino hums and kisses his mother’s cheek. “Have fun too, Mummy! Okay?” He turns to his father. “You too, Daddy!”

“We will, Jino.” Jongin nods and pats the boy’s head.

“Yes,” Jeonho joins in. “Yous don’t worry about us. We’ll be okay.”

“Thanks, Dad.” Aeiyoung says and stands straight with Jongin. She gazes down at her child. “Give Mummy and Daddy a hug before we leave?”

“Okay!” Jino chirps and hugs his parents tight.

In the next hour, the couple arrives at the harbour. As their car drives in, Jongin carefully looks at the way his love’s eyes light up so brightly. Their yacht, The Aurora, comes into sight and nostalgia quickly hits them. This was a place that brought them so many good memories. To think about it, this is where everything started, where she opened up to him more, where they got to know each other better and established a better bond than just mere acquaintances. It was here where Jongin was able to see more sides of Aeiyoung that she wouldn’t normally show whenever she was at work or around many people, particularly the ones she wasn’t comfortable around with. Jongin was glad of this moment. Because, it was the moments that happened in that yacht that he realised he liked Aeiyoung a lot more than thought he did.

Thankful, he is. He’ll forever be.

“Ready?” Jongin asks, looking at his wife with earnest eyes.

Aeiyoung blinks, feeling overwhelmed. She swallows and nods her head slowly with a sweet smile. But before Jongin can make any more move to get off the car, she quickly reaches out to hug him, mumbling to his shoulder, “Thank you, Jongin.”

At that, the male melts. How is it possible that he is falling more and more for his wife after many years. Will there even be a limit? Gently, he backs away slightly so he can look at her. “Remember when you came over to J.KEH, Jino was about a year old then, and you brought me lunch?”

Aeiyoung bobs her head.

“I was so stressed that day. It was such a long day but then you came, it’s like you knew and you came to the rescue, looking so angelic while holding our child. In an instant, all the stress washed away from me. I felt like I was home and I felt so, so lucky that you are my wife, you are the love of my life and that you are the mother of my kids. Honestly, I couldn’t wish for more.” Leaning over to press his lips over Aeiyoung’s forehead softly, he continues, “But then, somehow, you always managed to give me so much more. I began to wonder if I really deserved them. But I deduced that even if I don’t, I’ll make it so I’m deserving. So you feel just the same way you make me feel, if not more. So for the millionth time,” He kisses the top of her head and holds it tight as he finishes, “Thank you for loving me, Kim Aeiyoung.”

For all the things she has done for him, Jongin is sure that the list he’ll forever be thankful of will never end. And these things he’s doing isn’t even enough to par for what she did and has given him.

“It’s been and will always be a pleasure, Kim Jongin.” She says, cupping the side of his face. She plants a gentle kiss on the tip of his nose before hugging him again. The warmth he returns is nothing she can ever describe.

“I think we should go now.” Jongin whispers. “Otherwise, we might not be able to board soon.”

The lady giggles at that but agrees anyway. Her husband gets off the car as Gyo opens the door on her side. As her feet meets the ground, Jongin is there and slides his hand around her waist, guiding her as they walk down and towards the yacht.

Upon getting there, Jongin takes a quick leave to talk to the captain while Aeiyoung takes the time to look at the interiors, noticing some subtle changes but the beauty and its essence remains the same. Few minutes later, he comes back and silently watches her admire and look over the place. He takes the time before uttering, “I made some changes about a while ago when this yacht was going under maintenance.”

“It’s amazing…” She expresses. “It’s new but it’s like the first time. I’m impressed. Also surprised because you haven’t sold her yet.”

At once, he walks over to her. “I can’t do that. This is very precious to me, to us. No matter how old this baby gets, she’ll stay for as long as she can.”

“I just thought… after building The Dream, you would.”

“Yes, I’ve thought about it. But I can’t.” He adds, “Besides, I built The Dream for our family — it’s especially for me, for you, for Jino and for Aena.”

“So neither Jino or Aena will ever get to see her?” She wonders, referring to The Aurora.

“When they are a bit older.” He answers. “For now, she will be just between us.”

Aeiyoung nods, absolutely having no problems with that. And at that moment, the couple shares a kiss, passionate but slow, letting their love guide them through. She is breathless when he pulls away.

“Yeah?”

She smiles, knowing exactly what his words mean. “Yeah.”

Satisfied, Jongin chuckles and kisses the side of her lips playfully before carrying her, having her legs wrap around his waist.

Hours later, she is wearing a white silk robe, her hair tied up, standing at the upper deck when her husband gently hugs her from behind, his chin resting over her shoulder. “Busy thinking?”

“No.” She puts her hands over his arms, welcoming his warm embrace. “Just enjoying the breeze.”

“The food is ready. Are you hungry?”

She hums. “Can we stay here for a bit then go?”

He is looking at her mesmerising and hopeful eyes. “Of course.” He smiles. “Oh, and I’ve got something to show you.”

Curious, she gives him a look. “What is it?”

“Jaein sent a video of Jino she found with her files and she sent it to me. So,” He fishes his phone out of his pocket, “last night, I searched for more.”

“I want to see.” The mother is keen.

He doesn’t move from his position, staying behind her as he puts the device in front of them. He goes to his camera roll and plays the videos of Jino synced one by one. It was a video of fifteen month old Jino crying because his cookie fell on the ground, losing hold of it unintentionally. He was sitting on a high chair, unable to reach the cookie back to his hands. Jaein was then asking her cute nephew why he was crying, only to have him point towards the floor with much regret and sadness on his face.

“Your cookie fell?” The Auntie asked, cooing.

He sobbed again with a sad face, making his cutie cheeks stand out more. “Cookie fell.”

“Do you want a new cookie?” The baby nodded, blinking his watery eyes. His tiny fingers in his mouth. “You’re not going to drop it anymore if I get you another one?” The boy didn’t answer and just kept blinking at his Auntie. “Okay, Aunt Jaein will give you another cookie.” Jino’s countenance lit up, making the lady melt because of his cuteness.

Watching the clip, the mother laughs fondly. “Jino looks so much like you!” She remarks.

Jongin chuckles. He can’t even disagree. The following videos play, letting the parents reminisce.

All of Jino’s milestones are filmed by his parents and his Aunties, mostly Jaein. From the point he opens his eyes for the first time, his first smile and his giggles, when he rolls over to his stomach after some struggle, he holds his teether on his own, he sits on his own, the first time he crawled to the point he takes his first steps. His cheeky and naughty moments were mostly filmed too.

About three videos later, an idea hits him.

“What?” She asks, unable to get rid of her smile, enjoying (maybe a little too much).

“Let’s go inside. I have an idea.”

And there they go. Holding her hand, Jongin leads and settles on the entertainment area of the yacht. Then, he goes to bring their meal on the table, connecting his phone to the theatre and puts the videos on slideshow so they can watch the clips on a bigger screen. Then, he goes to join Aeiyoung who is sitting on the floor, over the carpet. They lean their backs against the couch, while square pillows are over their lap. She is resting her head to his shoulder, with his arm going around to cuddle her. From time to time, he reaches for the food and feeds himself and his wife.

As it goes on, Aeiyoung realises that Jongin’s camera roll are only filled with their kids and her, making her realise again how much they have gone through and the amount of moments they shared together.

A video of Sera and Jaein playing with their nephew was on the screen when she voices out what is in her head, “I really can’t believe Jaein has a family now too.”

Placing the glass of water back on the table, his lips curve, nodding his head. “Me too. Who would’ve thought my little sister would get married?”

“And now is a mother at that.” She adds.

“And that.” He agrees. “Now that I think about it, maybe she used the times when she volunteered to babysit Jino as her training.”

Aeiyoung breaks into a laugh. “Perhaps.”

“Look at our young boy being a helpful one without even him knowing.” He continues, receiving a playful pinch on the side from her.

“Stop it.” She chastises, albeit not all serious. “Give Jaein a break.”

Over the years, Jongin’s sisters already had their own family. Sera got married months after Jino was born, Jaein got married when Jino was three to a guy whom she had been with for about a year and a half.

Whereas Jeho was cool with the man Sera married, he reacted differently with Jaein’s man. The father disapproved of the marriage, not fond of the man his youngest daughter was marrying but Jongin thought it was because his father judged too quickly. He understood, it was easy to judge but to change that judgement, could be challenging. And although it created conflict between Jeho and Jaein, in the end, they met at the middle and understood each other. Jeho didn’t close his doors and gave himself the opportunity to know the man Jaein wanted to marry and over time, he admitted himself wrong. Above that, everyone in the family, particularly Jeho, is proud of what Jaein did. She stood by her decision, letting them all know that she knew what she was doing and that she wasn’t a young lady anymore (as much as she enjoyed being one) who was rather impulsive and at times could be a little immature. She showed that she’s a grown woman but even then, to Jeho and Younji, she will always be their princess.

“I’m proud of my little sister though.” Jongin adds, “She’ll always be the family’s little princess. And you,” He shifts and cups her face, “you’ll always be my Queen.”

Aeiyoung laughs and hits her husband’s chest gently. “Oh, and by the way, when we get home, let’s bring Jino to the pet shelter.”

“Pet shelter?” He repeats. “We’re getting a new dog?”

“Yeah.” The lady bobs her head. “Jino was looking at his photo with Roby. I can tell he misses him. I just thought maybe it’s time to get our family another one and let our oldest son make the choice? What do you think?”

“Okay.” Jongin cuddles her head on his chest again. “We’ll do that. That’ll be his reward.”

“Perfect.”

About two hours later when Jongin decides to take Aeiyoung for jet ski so they are not just staying in the yacht for the entire time. Once all is ready and good to go, he proceeds and makes sure that she is holding tight around his middle so she doesn’t fall to the water. Then, he takes her to the nearest island where there are barely any people. The couple makes sure to take a lot of photos, mostly candid and of each other because it is only what they are exceptionally good at and at times, they take photos together. But if they are asked, their favourite subject is not the beautiful blue sea before them, or the fine white sand, the beautiful scenery surrounding but, rather each other. Aeiyoung is Jongin’s favourite subject and Jongin is Aeiyoung’s. The couple stays there just until before the sun sets and gets back to the boat before it gets dark. After dinner, they stay at the upper deck of The Aurora to stargaze just like the old times, sharing a bottle of wine. Their hands are holding, hanging in the middle on the space between the sun loungers they’re lying on. They start talking about the most random memories and things, mostly because they love hearing each other’s voices and even if it’s silence that’s taking over, they don’t enjoy their time together any less. In fact, the silence in between their random talks lets them enjoy the breeze, the sounds of the water, the stars shining and most especially, each other’s presence.

Now, Aeiyoung is standing before the vanity when she notices her husband standing by the door, silently watching her. If it’s before, she will wonder how long he’s been there and why, but over the years she learnt that it will always be something Jongin will do. She remembers the time she asked him about that, and then he simply replied with, “Who doesn’t love watching their favourite movie?”

Midnight hits, and Aeiyoung falls fast asleep in which the male doesn’t mind. She is supposed to get all the rest she can get before she gets back to their home and begin doing her role again as a mother to their kids and a wife to him. Anyway, it gives him more time to watch her angelic face.

Somewhere in the middle of doing that, Aeiyoung wakes from her sleep and notices what Jongin is doing. She opens her eyes slightly and waits for her blurry vision to clear. The softest and most serene smile paints her lips. “Not yet sleepy?” She asks, voice sounding somewhat sleepy.

He reaches out his hand to brush his fingers through the strands of her hair, “Not yet. I think I’ll stay up for longer.” He slides the pad of his thumb over her cheek. “I’ll sleep in a bit.”

Aeiyoung nods and falls back to sleep again. And the next morning, she wakes up to an empty side. Her eyebrows meet in the middle as her eyes are squinted, looking around, wondering where her husband would be. She wraps her robe around her, tying the tie into a knot before slipping her bedroom slippers. Before she gets to walk out the room to search for the male, she sees a note pasted behind the door.

“Good morning~ I hope you slept well. Meet me at the lower deck. I’ll be there waiting for you. Don’t take too long. I love you.
Your man, Jongin.”

At that, an instant smile is on her face, excited to see what her husband had prepared for her this time. The last time she remembered him doing this was when she gave birth to Aena and she was in bed. Him not wanting her to get up and strain herself, he left a note next to her phone on the bedside table, asking her to just stay in bed because he will come shortly. Then, about five minutes later, he came inside their bedroom, holding a tray of food for breakfast in bed. He reassured her that both Aena and Jino were still deep asleep and she didn’t need to worry about them for now. To her, Jongin did so much in taking care of Aeiyoung after she gave birth and it only made her love him so much more she thought she did.

Keeping the note to herself to treasure, she wanders over to the location he mentioned. She stops at the end of the steps because there he is, his hair flowing towards the direction of the wind but smiling so brightly towards her, his hands kept on the pockets of his pants. On the table is the food he tried his best preparing.

“You cooked?” Aeiyoung asks amusedly, walking over.

“I tried my best.” He says, pulling out the chair for her to sit on. Then, as he takes a seat, he looks at her. “Hope you enjoy the food, wife.”

The lady is sure that she will. “I’m surprised you didn’t burn the kitchen.” She teases, earning to see him scowl. “I’m kidding.” She laughs. “If you cooked it, I’ll surely enjoy the food.”

Jongin can’t help but join his wife’s happy mood, ending up laughing with her. Watching her try his food, he props his elbow on the table and rests his cheek over his palm. A smile can’t be painted away from his features. How else can his world get any better? The love of his life is here, in front of him, at her most natural state, looking a lot like an angel early in the morning. It’s been years… yet she still manages to take his breath away each time. He wonders, will he ever get enough? Even when they’re old and would have grandchildren of their own? He bets not. Because if anything, Aeiyoung will only be hundred times more prettier in his eyes.

The following day, just before, they arrive back at the marina with Jongin’s car waiting. Aeiyoung nods at Gyo with a bright smile on her face in which the latter returns pleasantly before he walks towards the other car to follow them behind as his boss drives. The older man is happy to see that; to see how refreshed the lady looks, the same with the man he’s been serving. The quick holiday did them good, and everyone— no, anyone can see that. They are glowing brightly like the young lady and gentleman they were more than ten years ago.

Jongin is driving back to their home, one hand on the steering wheel and the other holding Aeiyoung’s hand. He kisses the back of her hand, both excited to go home and see their kids again.

As they enter the foyer, they hear Jino’s voice, welcoming both of them as he runs towards them. The lady glances over to the father with a smile she fails to hide (not that she’s trying) before turning her head back again. Their son is taking fast strides and hugs his mother tightly. Jongin bents down and carries him. The mother pinches Jino’s cheeks playfully, glad to see the boy again.

“Been a good boy?” The father asks.

“Yes!” The boy declares proudly. “Mama and Papa said I was!”

The parents nod their heads. They knew that because they trusted him that he would.

“He was a very good boy!” Yeonha affirms, walking over and then greets the couple. “You both are looking so refreshed and radiant!” She remarks.

Both of them smiles before her daughter asks, “Where’s Dad and Aena?”

“Oh, you should see them.” The grandmother answers. “They are in the bedroom and they are the cutest!”

So they head towards the Aena’s bedroom and see the grandfather and granddaughter cuddling and sleeping. Jeonho is laying on the reclining chair with Aena sleeping on top of his Papa’s chest. The three adults smile at the sweet picture with Jongin taking his phone, keeping the memory through photos. Jino meanwhile remains silent so he doesn’t wake his sister and Papa up.

“Have they been asleep for long?” Aeiyoung quietly asks.

“About half an hour now.” Yeonha answers. “Are you guys going anywhere?”

“We were going to take Jino out.” Then, she adds, “Because he’s been a good boy, we were going to get him to choose a puppy.”

“We’re going to get a new dog?” Jino asks excitedly, voice maybe a little too loud that his father has to gently remind him to keep it low. “Sorry.” He squeaks.

“Will it be okay, Mum?” Aeiyoung asks.

“Oh, of course, it is!”

Grateful, she smiles at her mother before turning to his son. “Yes, we’ll get a new dog. Have you taken a shower?” The mother asks to which the boy nods to. “Okay, dress up and be ready. Do you want Mum to accompany you?”

“Yes, please.” The boy politely answers.

“Okay, let’s go.” She says, glancing to her husband and her mother. They both bob their heads.

As the mother and son heads towards the latter’s bedroom, Jongin and Yeonha are left alone together, still standing by the door of the former’s daughter, quietly watching the love of their lives respectively.

“How was the little cruise?” The older woman asks.

A smile is instant to form on his lips as his brain starts the recount. “It was perfect.”

“Thank you for taking care of our daughter. We had no worries when you two got together because her father and I knew you’re a good man. We had no doubts. But to see our daughter braver and stronger, all because of you, because you’re with her, we can’t help but feel overwhelmed and thankful.”

“It’ll always be a pleasure.” He answers. “It is so easy to love her. She’s so beautiful.”

“And can I just tell you? Younji and I were talking the other day, and we were talking about how impressed we were to see how you’re like as a father to your children.” Jongin has a blank look on his face, making the woman continue, “You’re a busy man, Jongin. Balancing your duty as CEO of a company like J.KEH, the same time being a father and a husband to your children and wife is not easy. It’s probably very challenging more than one could ever imagine. But somehow, you managed to do it. Not everyone can be successful at it. That is the reason why your mother and I are very proud.”

Jongin shakes his head mildly, “I really couldn’t have done it without Aeiyoung.”

“Oh…” Yeonha feels herself getting emotional. She’s so happy. “I don’t think I have ever seen a couple that is very much match made in heaven like you two. Yous are so perfect for each other.”

At that, he smiles. Is that how they come off as? A match made in heaven couple?

They’re marriage may not be perfect and it will never be. They’ve fought, many times, at times clashing by simply wanting the best for each other and their family. But then the faith, love and trust they have for each other makes it work for them, letting them meet in the middle and it is through that they manage to resolve things. And each time, over the years actually, they know for sure they are stronger.

Not long after, they hear Jino run down the stairs, excited to go to the shelter and choose a new dog for the family. Aeiyoung is quietly following behind with a fond smile on her face. Jongin bows at his mother-in-law and walks to meet his son. Yeonha smiles at her daughter upon meeting her eyes before walking inside.

“Ready, young man?” Jongin asks, meeting him at the end of the staircase.

“Yes!” Jino cheers.

“But he has another request.”

He is looking at his son. “That is…?”

“Can we go and visit my older sister quickly? I have so many stories to tell her.”

Jongin’s lips curve small, soft but genuinely. “Of course.”

Despite not meeting his older sister at any point of his life, despite Jongin’s unborn daughter not meeting the world, somehow, Jino has never forgotten of her. He treats his older sister like they shared some bond, not forgetting of her existence. It makes the father feels so much at ease. Maybe this way, he can be a good father he never was to his daughter who died even before she got the chance to live. Even if he didn’t get the chance to do so, to hold her in his arms, perhaps in this way, by including her with his family he can make up for all the mistakes he’s done to her. In this way, maybe he can be that good father.

“Let’s go! Let’s go!” Jino urges, dragging his parents towards the foyer as he holds their hand with his one each.

The father instructs Mikyeong to let Gyo know that they’re leaving before they give in to their son’s power.



 

“Jongin,” Aeiyoung wakes her husband softly at half past eight in the morning while their nine-month-old baby is sitting between her curved legs. Jongin is lying close to her, his arms around his lady and nose nuzzled on her clothes, smelling his favourite scent— his wife’s. “Aena, wake Daddy up. Give him a kiss like this.” The mother talks gently and demonstrates by pressing her soft pillows over Jongin’s cheeks.

By now, the male is more than just awake, though he keeps his eyes closed, just wanting to feel and hear what is going around him. But the tug of his lips when her wife kissed him gets him caught.

Aeiyoung notices that and smiles to herself but doesn’t say anything. She turns to the baby and giggles as she holds her little toy between her tiny hands. “Kiss Daddy here.” She taps her finger over the male’s cheek.

Little Aena drops her toy and puts her soft palms over her mother’s thigh to reach over her father’s face. “Da…” She blurts in a babble.

From that moment on, Jongin can’t help but form a smile on his lips but remains his eyes closed, waiting for his daughter’s kiss. He still can’t explain the excitement he feels, hearing Aena babble. It’s just like the first— when it was Jino. Maybe now it still feels the same because it’s the family’s only princess.

As he feels Aena’s mouth land over his cheek, the smile he’s wearing turns to a big one and soon, grins. He presses his face deeper on Aeiyoung, only to hear her chuckle.

“Da!” The little baby cheers again.

Jongin finally opens his eyes and tilts it up so he can see his wife and their daughter. He gives the sweetest morning smile.

“Morning, Jongin.” Aeiyoung greets and bends over to give him another morning, quick kiss on the lips.

“Morning too, Aeiyoung.” He returns sincerely with her fingers brushing through his hair. He moans, “That feels so good.” Shifting more to lie on his back, he carries Aena and lifts her up in the air then down to kiss her all over, making the baby giggle in glee.

Just then, Jino enters the room and jumps to the bed to join the family. Following behind is Mikyeong and their dog, Obee. The young boys throws himself to his mother for a big hug, making her laugh and then nodding gratefully towards at the older lady, who stays by the door, not wanting to invade and is wearing a motherly gaze with a fond curve in her lips.

At once, the then housekeeper, now butler, takes her leave, Aeiyoung looks at his son. “You’re happy…” She takes note.

“I am!” Jino says proudly. “I was told Daddy didn’t leave for work this morning so I’m happy!” Then, he focuses his attention towards his little sister, greeting a good morning as the parents glance at each other. Jongin, who now has Aena sitting between his thighs, gives his wife an apologetic look.

For the past weeks, he has been incredibly busy with J.KEH and though he knows his wife completely understands, it doesn’t mean it’s okay. He feels really sorry, especially for the boy because he promised that he will play with him soon and it’s bad timing as his incredibly hectic days came align with the boy’s holidays from school. That’s why he really hadn’t the chance to do what he promised until now and as it’s all over, he can take some time to lay off. He is going to make the most of every minute he has.

Seeing that, Aeiyoung squeezes his hand and gives him reassuring smile. She moves to her knees so she can move closer towards the kids. “I am going to go down then kitchen and get breakfast ready, do you want to come with Mummy?” She asks the boy. “Or do you want to stay and play with Daddy and Aena?”

Jino contemplates for a bit before shaking his head. “I want to help. I want to see the food.”

The mother chuckles, “Okay, let’s go.” She turns to the other two. “You two come down in a bit?”

“After breakfast, do you think we can go and take the kids out?”

“Lotte!” The young boy quickly suggests. “Please…” He requests. “Aena will love it there! Pororo is there! Mum?” He asks, then his Dad. “Dad?”

The couple share a glance and before he can say anything, she beats him to it. “Are you not tired?” She asks concernedly, considering how tiring the past weeks have been for him. “We can still stay in and do something here.”

“No, I want to take our kids out. I still have a promise for this little boy,” He says, gently pinching his son’s cheek. “to keep.”

The little boy who has been paying attention to his parents smiles innocently, remembering exactly what that promise is.

Jongin’s gaze travels back to his wife’s and comes to a mutual and non-verbal agreement. He speaks, announcing, “Okay. Lotte, it is!”

“Yeah!” He cheers and holds both hands of his sister who also cheers because she sees her older brother happy. “Aena, we’ll go to Lotte!” He announces, then jumps off the bed. “Mum, let’s go. Let’s get breakfast ready.”

Jongin can’t help but laugh, unable to keep his face straight. “Someone’s excited.” He mumbles and his wife catches that.

“Tell me about it.” She chuckles. She leans over, propping herself with her palm to give their baby a kiss and the husband as well. “Come down in a bit.”

Jongin hums. “Will do.”

Standing on her feet, she takes her leave. She gives the father and daughter a final glance before heading off to her duties. After about half an hour, Jongin comes down to the dining area, carrying Aena securely in his arms. Then, he puts the baby girl in her high chair, giving an opportunity for Jino to play with his little sister. The brother gives Aena a soft biscuit that melts inside the mouth for her to eat. Meanwhile, Jongin has made his way to his wife, hugging her from behind. An instant smile curves the lady’s lips.

“Sit down. The food is ready.” She says gently, and caresses the back of his neck and briefly brushing her fingers through his locks as she’s finished with their baby’s bowl of breakfast.

“It feels so nice to be home.” Jongin breathes into her skin.. “I’m sorry for being barely home for the past weeks.”

She takes a breath and turns to see his sincerely apologetic eyes. “We understand. Hence, forgiven.”

“I’ll make it up.” The male says determinedly.

Aeiyoung nods. “I already see that. Don’t beat yourself so much for it. — And, just promise me that you won’t make our kids feel neglected. You’re still their father and I can only do so much, Jongin. You know that, right?”

“I do.” He presses his lips. “You, my love, and the kids are the most important. You’re my family.”

Jongin can lost everything but not her and his family. They are his pillar of strength and his source of happiness and he knows too well that with them, he’ll be happy and will always be complete. So with all of him, he will protect his love and his family, their happiness, their well-being, their everything, particularly the future they are all be going through together as a one family.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

Yay, at least I got this epilogue posted even though it's a bit late than I had planned.

Previously, as some of you would be aware, I announced that I am going to edit the chapters of this fic.. I intended to that over the month I had of my holidays, however, due to personal circumstances, I have failed to do so. And as a result, I am posting this second and final epilogue as I think that waiting for the fic to be edited would take far way too long. I do not want that. I hope you guys understand. I will still edit the chapters of this fic as the errors found on each chapters are hideous. It would just take time because it isn't my top priority at the moment. I am back to UNI and in addition to that, I have two other fanfics that I'm writing. Again, thank you for supporting this fanfic. It may not be as great, but this story have been part of me and I'll forever be grateful of those who are with me until this point.

Two of you suggested that you want to see more Jongin with Aena but the timing of this epilogue did not really fit into that. I am sorry about that too. Another reader, mymaiee, also suggested to bring back the couple back to The Aurora and have them reminisceI got the partly of that done and I hope you're satisfied with that. If not, I apologise. That's the most my head could write out. I still have to grow as a writer.

Anyway, all that considered, I am thankful. Hope we see each other again. In another and new Jongin fic, perhaps??