Chapter Ten

Undeniably Lost

Chapter Ten

Aeiyoung parks her car, as nearest as possible to the bar. She rushes out with her phone, sprinting inside.

Her eyes eagerly search for Kangjun, the bar is big and filled with people which makes the searching a lot harder. Then, a hand raised up in the air catches her attention. It must be the bartender she talked to earlier.

She takes her steps toward her friend who has already passed out. She sighs.

Seo Kangjun is never the type to drink until he passes out in public places. In fact, during their University days, he barely gets himself drunk. He’s the type of student who focused more on his studies like she did. All the reason why they matched, why of all the students she met back then, it was only him she hung out with apart from her best-friend.

The same time, however, Kangjun was never left out of parties or hangouts — which was one of the aspect why he managed to amaze the lady. It was something she could never do. Her University days were only filled with classes, library and then home. That’s it. Meanwhile, the male, managed to keep up with his studies while having that social life she never had.

She remembers how Mina told her that whenever she saw Kangjun in parties, the man would only limit himself to one. A glass would be enough. But what is this in front of her now. This is a side of him she never expected she’d witness.

She turns around to face him, brushing his hair aside so she can see his face. “Kangjun.” She calls but it only results for the male to moan and scrunch his itchy nose. “Kangjun, wake up. Let’s get you to rest.” She gently pats his cheek. “Kangjun.”

Getting no response from the male, Aeiyoung is at lost. Ever since he came back from Japan, she has no idea where the male lives or neither she can contact any of his friends because she doesn’t know any of them. She doesn’t even remember his parent’s number either. If only this happened years back, then maybe things will be a lot easier for her.

She runs her hand through her hair, trying to think the best possible solution she can do. As if on cue, her phone rings. It’s Kim Jongin calling.

“Hey.” she greets, trying to sound as normal as possible.

“Hello…?” he responds but rather unsurely as he hears outlandish noise from the background. It’s a kind of noise he’s too familiar with. He checks the time. Considering the time and day, he falls to wonder what she’s doing in such place. “Are you in a bar?”

Aeiyoung makes a quiet sound at the back of . She briefly wonders how he knew so quick but dismisses the thought as she answers, “Uh… yes, I am.”

He frowns, “What are you doing there?”

“Oh no, not me.” She presses and her lips together. Should she tell him? She remembers his first encounter with him — that disapproving look. Jongin doesn’t seem to like him. But how else would she explain if she won’t tell the truth? “It’s actually Kangjun.” She admits and then finds herself explaining, “He called me drunk so I came to pick him up but…” Her voice trails off.

Upon hearing the name, the crease on his forehead deepens. “Where are you?” he asks, tone slightly demanding.

“Jongin—” She cuts herself off, finally deciding to tell him the bar’s name.

“Stay there.” He says, quickly hanging up the phone, not giving a chance for Aeiyoung to react.

She puts her phone down and taps Kangjun’s cheek once again. She tries to wake him up, even attempting to carry him but he’s just too heavy for her. She would ask the bartenders to help her with carrying him out to his car but she remembers what Jongin told her.

Quicker than she expected, Jongin arrives at the bar. He strides towards their direction with an unreadable expression.

“Hi.” Aeiyoung greets awkwardly.

He glances at her and to the drunk male. He takes a deep breath.

“You didn’t have… to come here.” She utters nervously, not looking at his eyes.

Jongin’s hands are on his waist and pokes the inside of his cheek with his tongue. “I don’t like the thought of you being alone with a drunk man.” He mutters.

“He doesn’t get usually drunk. He’s usually in control…” She defends, almost in a whisper. “I just don’t know what happened to him today.”

He raises an eyebrow at her, unimpressed. Obvious so called jealousy crawling up inside him. How can she defend him? Does he matter so much to her? He feels a slight clench at his heart as he hears her say those words, with so much concern. He tries to remain composure, masking the knot gripping inside him.

“Let’s get him home.” He utters lowly.

“Ah,” She blinks, still avoiding his gaze. She gulps, looking at him before continuing, “He passed out. He needs carrying.”

Jongin knows that much. He grabs Kangjun’s arm and slings it around his neck. He’s not going to let Aeiyoung get in contact with him. He looks at the woman behind the counter, “Has everything been paid?”

“Yes, Sir.” She answers politely. “He paid for it earlier before passing out.”

He bobs his head, acknowledging her answer. Aeiyoung puts the stool Kangjun has been sitting on away, so they can move and make their way out. She gives a genteel nod to the bartender before turning to assist Jongin.

He decides to bring the unconscious man to his car, instead of hers. There’s no way he’s going to do that. When the lady notices that they are heading towards the opposite to her car, she speaks, “Jongin, it’s okay, bring him to my car.”

He stops walking and turns, making Kangjun’s head circle around. “No.”

“But he’s not your responsibility.” She reasons.

“And he’s yours?”

She purses her lips. “No, not like that, exactly. But he called me and that makes me responsible of him tonight.”

He adjusts the male’s position on him before responding, “And I’m already here so we both have our share on that.” Aeiyoung opens to say something again but he interrupts her. “He’s getting heavier. Let’s just bring him to my car since it’s closer. We’ll talk about it when he’s off me.”

Truth is, he can handle him longer but he doesn’t want to. He doesn’t want to get in disagreement with her over someone like Kangjun. He doesn’t like how Aeiyoung is so willingly making herself accountable for him.

“Okay.” She gives in. She considers the chance that he’s having a hard time.

They proceed towards where Jongin’s SUV is parked. Upon approaching, Gyo gets into his feet and carries Kangjun in place of his boss. He opens the back door and brings him inside.

When Jongin is free of him, he turns to the lady, who continues to give the intoxicated man a perturbed look with her eyes. And he’s going to admit, he can’t bear to see her worrying for another man. He feels bitter at the sight. It isn’t until the door closes when her gaze breaks — that’s only when the invisible pressure on his heart releases. Partly.

She turns to him with a grateful smile. “Thank you for that.” She says quietly.

“Wouldn’t want it any other way.” He states. His eyes appear stern but distant to her. She doesn’t like it. When she’s silent, he asks, “Where are you going to take him?”

Aeiyoung shrugs. She doesn’t know where he lives either, highly doubting that he’s still living in the apartment before he left. She realises that, although she treasures Kangjun as her good friend, she barely knows anything about ever since he came back. Because really, everything she did is avoid him due to his persistence in dating her.

She mumbles quietly, “I’m thinking of taking him to my place.”

He knits his eyebrow deeply. “In your place?”

She presses her lips before explaining, “I don’t know where he lives. It’s hasn’t been long since he came back from Japan.”

Speechless, Jongin shakes his head, totally not fond of the idea. “No.”

“But where else—”

“He’ll stay in my hotel. I can put on a special request for him. He’ll be taken care of there.” He answers, everything is set out in his mind just to assure that he won’t be in her place. “I won’t leave you alone with him.”

That’s too much, she thinks. “But he’s not going to do anything, if that’s what you’re worrying about.”

Jongin simply just doesn’t trust him; drunk at that. He stays silent, remaining adamant, not wavering what he said earlier.

“Fine… Okay.” Aeiyoung gives in. Perhaps, it’s better that way. She, herself, is tired — she feels as though if she closes her eyes, it won’t be long until she falls into deep slumber. She’s had a long and tiring day and on top of that, she also has an early start tomorrow. Even if she takes Kangjun to her place, she doubts if she could properly take care of him. Doing Jongin’s suggestion seems to be the more rational to do. Besides, she can check on him tomorrow after her morning presentation ends.

For the first time that night, she sees him smile albeit little. “Gyo will take him there.” He says. “While I drive you home.” drops ajar, about to say something. “You look evidently tired too, Aeiyoung.”

She nods her head lightly. She doesn’t have the energy to refuse.

Jongin beckons Gyo over. Promptly, he walks toward him. He turns and closely give instructions. “Take him to the hotel. VIP. Tell the manager that I personally asked for him to be attended well, complete. Give everything he needs and all the care.”

“Yes, Sir.” Gyo bows politely and turns to his heels to walk inside the car.

He turns back to Aeiyoung who is silently standing in her place. He takes steps closer to her, slipping his hand to hers. Amid heading towards her car, she gives him her keys.

Without any words, he opens the door on the passenger side and lets the lady climb in. When she’s settled, he heads towards the driver side. He fidgets with the rear-view mirror at the same time noticing that she’s slowly falling into sleep. He remains quiet, making as minimal sound as possible while he adjusts the side mirrors and turning on the car.

He gets out of the parking and joins the traffic, heading towards her place.

As they arrive, he parks at the garage. He unbuckles his seatbelt and glances at her. A smile naturally curves his lips as he sees her sleeping soundly. He leans closer to gently tuck her loose strand of hair away from her face. As much as his heart didn’t like it, he wakes her up softly, “Aeiyoung, we’re here.”

It takes a second for Aeiyoung to react. Slowly, she flutters her eyes open, looking out the window. She sits straight up, before turning to him, smiling tiredly.

“You’re home.” He says warmly before getting off the car and then walking around to open the door for her.

“Thank you~.” She says softly, as soon as she gets off. “How are you going to get home?”

“Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine.” He tells her. Gyo is not only his driver after all. “Rest and sleep well, yeah?”

“Will do.”

“Good night, Aeiyoung.” Jongin wants to hug her but he holds himself back.

“Good night, too, Jongin.” Then, what she says next induces excitement to him. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Remaining calm, he urges, “Go inside now. It’s getting colder.”

She nods, turning to head inside her flat.

It’s weird that the words I’ll see you tomorrow manages evoke excitement inside him, completely throwing off whatever supposed jealousy he felt earlier. Their meeting tonight is totally unplanned. In fact, he called her to simply hear her voice and wish a good night. He didn’t expect to rush to a bar, the place he quit going to since he met Aeiyoung, to calm his heart he found panicking, uncomfortable at the thought she is alone with him.

 

With the bright sun’s ray, Kangjun clenches his eyes, frowning at the confronting brightness before his eyes. He looks away from it and opens his eyes. He looks around and sees Aeiyoung opening the curtains as wide as she can.

It’s already eleven in the morning when Aeiyoung arrived at Jongin’s hotel. She gets access to his room to check how he’s doing. And she finds her in the exact state she expected.

The male sits up, confused, processing what’s going on and where he is.

“Where am I?” He asks, voice breaking.

She looks around, and answers sarcastically, “In a room. — Good morning to you, too.” She gestures towards the table. “There’s food there for you to eat. Fill your stomach.”

When he doesn’t move an inch, she sighs, “You’re in a hotel. You passed out, drinking last night.” Then adds a comment, “Very unusual of you, Seo Kangjun.”

He massages his temples, looking down, trying to recover what happened the night before. “How did I get here?”

“I don’t think that’s very important right now.” She answers. “What happened to you?”

“Got out of control…” He states, as though it isn’t obvious. “Hopelessly in love.”

She scoffs, can’t help but roll her eyes at him. “Is that why?” She asks, “Is that why you got yourself so drunk? Because you’re oh so hopelessly in love?” Kangjun remains silent. “I can’t believe you.”

“Aeiyoung, all I’m asking is one chance. One date. Why can’t you give that?” He questions. “I gave you everything. I gave up my career in Japan so I can go to you. I tried giving you those chocolates, flowers, doing everything an ideal boyfriend would do. But why can’t you give me that one chance?”

“I was clear to you about this.” Her tone, serious. “I didn’t ask you to give up your job in Japan. I didn’t ask you to do anything so don’t put it back on me.” She crosses her arms, “I thought you would understand. I wanted to save our friendship instead of tainting it by risking that we could be together. I don’t like you in that way, Kangjun. When will you understand?” She’s just yet to finish, “I didn’t realise you gave those because you were expecting something in return. I didn’t realise they were for conditional reasons.”

“Aeiyoung, no—” He panics and tries to get from the huge bed but the act only causes for his head to hurt. He didn’t mean it like that. He meant it nothing like that.

The lady grabs her bag and looks at him darkly. “Eat the food. It’ll help you with your hangover. I got some clothes as well. I don’t know if it’d fit you but bear with it until you can get home. Then, talk to me when you’re sober enough and your mind is clear.” She storms out, not giving the male to say anything.

She goes ahead, to the restaurant inside the hotel to see Jongin. Though she’s barely awake when she told him last night that she’ll see her the day after, she remembers it completely. They both agreed to meet at the hotel as it is the most convenient place for both of them to do so.

She enters the restaurant and a staff welcomes her. She bows and upon the mention of her name, the male staff quickly leads her, telling that Jongin is already waiting.

There, she finds him talking to someone, another male in suit, perhaps a manager or some sort. When he notices her presence, he permits for him to go and leaves politely.

“Was that work?” she asks. “You can continue. I can come back.”

Jongin shakes his head, “No, it’s okay.” He asks, “How is he?”

Her shoulders fall with a heavy sigh as she sits down, “Out of it.”

He raises a brow and takes his own seat across her as he asks again, “Still?”

“Well, he’s up and we got into a little argument. So, I walked away, to cool off. I don’t like getting angry.” She explains.

Jongin can tell that he’s nuts about her. Kangjun likes her a lot and he’s crazy about her. He knows this not solely because of what he saw back then, that morning at the reception area in Iveely. Rather, he’s certain because he went to see him this morning, hours before Aeiyoung arrived.

He went to see him for the combined reasons of curiosity and commitment. He promised Aeiyoung that he’ll be taken care of properly, just in exchange that he wouldn’t go to her place. And, Kim Jongin doesn’t go back on his word.

Curiosity because… he’s just curious about him. To see who is this man and that why of all people, it had to be Aeiyoung he called. Is that how much Kangjun likes her — that in times of intoxication, when he’s out of himself and control, she’s the only and first he thinks of. His questions were answered when he heard him calling out for the lady’s name, confessing his love, and above all, seeking for a chance. Kangjun was mumbling, talking in his sleep, barely close to soberness, but Jongin heard it clearly. He’s not mistaken, far from being fallacious.

But, he remains to act oblivious.

“I think the iced tea would help you cool down.” He bobs his head with a little grin towards the coming glass of lemon iced tea served by a waiter.

Aeiyoung cracks into a quiet giggle. “I’m fine now.” She tells him but drinks the juice anyway. “Also, thank you for what you’ve done.”

“You’re always saying thank you.” He notices.

She places the glass down. “It’s a matter of showing appreciation. Don’t you like it?”

“I do.” He likes hearing her voice, her talking, even if what she’s saying is nonsense.

She places a hand over her neck as she turns to him with a guilt-ridden gaze. “I haven’t even done anything for you.”

When she woke up this morning, she felt a pang in her heart when she realised that ever since they met, she hasn’t really done anything for him. It was always him doing things for her; so much, beyond the things she imagined. She began to wonder: What can she do for Kim Jongin, a man seems to have everything anyone would wish to have? Will anything she’d do be enough for him?

“You’ve done so much actually.” He states. The fact that she didn’t refuse his means of reaching out, that, itself, is more than enough. It’s all he wanted, at this point. “Are you hungry?” He then asks. He eyes at her suspiciously. “Did you eat breakfast?” He asks again, remembering how she isn’t fond of doing so.

“…I did.” She answers, rather hesitant.

“What did you have?”

She presses her lips together. “Coffee and…toast.”

He raises a brow. “Really?”

“I’m sorry. I was anxious about my presentation this morning so I only had that.” Dear, never once in her life she apologised for eating just that for breakfast. Or, for eating nothing at all.

“If that’s the case, then we’ll eat a hearty lunch. I’m not accepting ‘no’ for this one.”

She’s so close to rolling her eyes. When did she ever say no to him?

When he sees her nod, he calls a waiter over. “Order, Miss Ji. Nothing light.” He reminds.

Aeiyoung smirks slightly. “Understood, Mr Kim.”

Maybe, for this second, he won’t mind her calling him with that name.

 

“I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever.” Mina vents.

Aeiyoung tastes a little bit of the dish they’re cooking together with a spoon before responding, “We were literally together the entire weekend. With my parents, remember?” she asks as if her best-friend had forgotten about it.

“Yes, but I didn’t get to talk to you about so many things.”

She tilts her head towards him and turns the stove off. “Like what?”

Then, a cheeky smile is across her face as she answers, “Like what happened to you in that date with Jongin.”

Aeiyoung can feel her cheeks heat up at the reminder so she diverts the topic, “Did you sleepover in Chan’s place last night?”

“Yes, I did.” She answers, not realising what her best-friend is doing. “I saw in the morning your missed calls but then you left a message saying not to worry about it. Why? Did something happen last night?”

“Kangjun called me, drunk.” She reveals.

Mina quickly turns to her best-friend, intrigued. “What?!”

She raises both of her eyebrows with her lips pressed together, confirming it the second time.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

She shrugs, “Jongin was there. He called while I was trying to get Kangjun into some consciousness. He helped me.”

“Did he sleep here?”

“Who? Jongin? Of course not!”

Mina groans. “No, Kangjun.”

“I was going to do that but Jongin didn’t like the idea so he took him to his hotel instead.”

She hums, “Guess Mr Kim doesn’t trust Kangjun that much, huh?”

“I don’t know. Maybe.” She recalls, “I know for a fact that he isn’t fond of him when they first met, though. Kangjun just kind of interrupted us. He didn’t like it.”

“Did you see Kangjun today?”

She bobs her head. “I did, but it didn’t end so well.”

“Why not?”

Aeiyoung doesn’t know how to explain without making either of them look bad, especially Kangjun. Mina’s his friend, too. “Just disagreement.”

“This is still about him forcing himself to you, huh?”

Her eyes widen in shock. “You know?”

“Yeah. Boy kept bugging me, asking if you like someone that’s why you’re not saying yes to him.”

“What’d you say?”

“That you really just don’t like him and that, you see him better off as a friend.”

She nods in understanding, “Why didn’t you tell me about this?”

Mina snorts, “He’s Kangjun, I can tolerate and handle him. Besides, if he’s bothering me so much, I can easily shut him off. I’m Seon Mina, after all.”

That’s true. “He messaged me after but I haven’t replied to any of his messages yet.”

She nods. “Don’t. Leave him. It’ll take a while until he’ll get a grip.” She’s about to go back to what she’s doing when she stops to look at Aeiyoung once again.

She looks back at her innocently. “What?”

“You distracted me.” She notices. “So, what happened to that date with Mr Kim?”

She sighs helplessly. There’s really no escape with Mina. But now, they’re at it, she narrows her eyes at her, “Why didn’t you tell me about it? You helped Jongin and didn’t even tell me.”

“It was in the morning. You were off to work already. Not like I would tell otherwise.” She indicates. “Also, he said it’s a surprise so I didn’t want to spoil it. It was so hard for me to keep myself together, you know. Chanyeol just tried his very best to stop me.” When she realises, she’s talking too much. She stops and nudges her. “So, where did he take you?”

She looks at her in the corner of her eyes before saying in a soft voice, “On a cruise.”

Mina gasps and then squeals, “What a man!!!”

“Shhh.” Aeiyoung tries to cover , stopping her loud squealing. “You don’t have to react like this.”

She grabs her wrist, pushing it away as she continues to question. “What did you guys do?”

“Ate dinner, did some chatting, and all that.”

Mina rolls her eyes, not buying they did just that. “You mean, a romantic dinner, spending time with each other, intimate bonding…”

“Think whatever you’d like, Seon Mina.” She shrugs. “Let’s set up the table, I’m hungry.”

Mina does what she said, but still doesn’t stop questioning. “How was it?”

“It’s good.” Aeiyoung answers truthfully. “I got to know so much more about him and I feel like a big part of our wall has broken down.”

“You feel comfortable around him, don’t you?”

The lady doesn’t deny it.

“The effort he did really took me off-guard.” Mina admits, recalling that time when Gyo, who introduced himself as Jongin’s driver, came to her that morning, at nine o’ clock to politely ask for her participation, or more so, favour from his boss for her best-friend.

She wasn’t going to do it, in all honesty. He never met Gyo, and who knows he might be some fraud but her mind changed when Jongin personally appeared in front of her and asked the request himself. She sensed the amount of sincerity the male has for her best-friend, so how can she say no? He took that extra step for Aeiyoung and, for Mina, who wanted nothing but for her best-friend to be happy and feel loved, she’s willing to do anything.

Imagining what Jongin did that day, Aeiyoung can’t help but feel more and more touched. “Mina… I want to do something for him.”

“Hmm?”

“I just feel like all this time, it’s just him doing something so I want to do something for him too.”

The solution to her problem is simple, Mina thought. “Then, why don’t you try making some effort too?”

“Like what?”

“What do you think?”

Aeiyoung thinks. What can she do?

“None of it has to top or come close to what he did for you so far. I think being sincere and genuine is more important. You like him too, don’t you?” She remains still but Mina already knows the answer to her own question. No words needed to affirm it. She knows her best-friend. “Truthfully, I think Jongin will like anything from you.”

Aeiyoung is new to these things. She’s never done anything for men. “I only know how to cook.” She mumbles quietly.

Mina smiles encouragingly, “Then do that. I’m sure he’ll love it.”

“Yeah?”

“Yes!” She affirms, no doubt.

 

The night is dark and Aeiyoung is quietly sitting in the middle of her bed, holding her phone within her hand. She’s been thinking hard for the past half an hour on how she’ll approach him. She wants to do it right and properly.

She takes a deep breath and slides her phone through the screen. She taps on Jongin’s contact. Of what seems like forever, she finally types, sending him a message. Her heart is thumping hard and fast against her ribs. She doesn’t even know why she’s this nervous.

To: Kim Jongin
From: Ji Aeiyoung
Sent: Tuesday, 22:18

“Hey, are you busy? There’s something I want to ask you.”

She sends. Not even two minutes later, she jumps up, startled at the sound of her phone ringing and feel of the phone vibrating against her hands.

“Aeiyoung.” He greets.

“Hey, uhm,” She stutters. “Were you doing something?” She didn’t want to disturb him.

“No, it’s good.” He reassures. “What is it you wanted to ask?”

She breathes, “Are you free anytime this week or some time?”

He doesn’t answer for a second and it almost gives her a panic. “Why?”

“I was…” She pauses. “I was wondering if you don’t mind the idea of…”

“Of?” He prompts.

“Of me cooking for you?”

Beat of silence. “You’ll cook for me?”

“If you don’t mind.” Will he say yes? She worries.

“Of course, I don’t mind.”

Her eyes light up. “Really?”

“Of course!”

She holds back her excitement, although an evident grin is on her face. “My place.” She presents.

“Your place, it is.” He agrees. “When?”

“Whenever you’re free.” She gulps. “I don’t want to keep you from anything.”

Jongin hums, thinking. He can’t believe he is starting to hate the times that his days are all filled up and hectic. It’s only few days ago when the thought of Aeiyoung making food for him excited him, and now, here she comes offering, but then his days for the rest of the week are filled.

Noticing the silence from him, she starts, “If you’re busy, it’s okay. I can just leave some lunch for you, tomorrow. We can always do it another time.”

“Aeiyoung—” Words fail Kim Jongin.

The lady shakes her head, though her heart is heavy. “It’s okay.” She reassures. “Are you at J.KEH tomorrow at lunch time?”

“Yes, yes, I am.” He says, recalling what Reya told him that around by noon the next day, he’s finishing off with the board meeting.

“Are you fine with me bringing you some lunch?”

“Of course!” He doesn’t hesitate answering.

She beams, “Okay. I’ll bring you something then.” She informs. “Hopefully, you’ll like it.”

“I’m sure I will.” He says in a soft yet confident tone.

She manages to make a sound as she smiles, “Good night, Jongin.”

“Good night, Aeiyoung.”

As the calls end, she crawls across her bed for the bedside table and put her phone down. She unties her hair, leaving it down. Just as she’s about to lie down, her phone rings for a message.

To: Ji Aeiyoung
From: Kim Jongin
Sent: Tuesday, 22:24

“I’ll make time. I can’t wait to see you cook for me. Sweet dreams, Aeiyoung.”

If this is the much she can do for now, then she’s happy about it than nothing at all.

To: Kim Jongin
From: Ji Aeiyoung
Sent: Tuesday. 22:25

“Sweet dreams too, Jongin.”

 

The next morning, Aeiyoung wakes up at least an hour earlier than the usual. She decides to go with the meal her Mum has always prepared for her Dad whenever he gets overloaded with work and back then, for her, whenever the workload in school is too much.

She hopes that the same way with them, it’ll help strengthen up Jongin and give him more energy to keep up with his hectic schedule. Health is important above all.

It’s still early when she finishes and Mina is still in deep slumber. Considering, she already cooked, she decides to leave a packed lunch for her best-friend as well. She places over the dining table where it can easily be seen, posting a note over it.

“I already cooked so I also packed some for you. Eat well and I love ya. –Who else I be, if not me. *winks*”

Arriving at the office early, she focuses to make as much progress as possible for Jongin’s surprise event for his mother, so then, when they meet next for business, they are one step ahead. It will leave them plenty of time just in case there will be major changes or adjustments that him and/or his sisters would want.

Taking a break, she checks her phone and sees a message from Mina, dramatically thanking her for the lunch she packed. Aeiyoung can hear her voice inside her head as she reads over her message. She can’t help but laugh. She replies a sentence back. She looks up and sees Nara standing by the door.

“Everyone’s here?” She asks.

The younger lady nods.

“Okay, meeting room in two.” She instructs.

She keeps her phone and grabs everything she needed before she strolls to meet her team.

She spends the rest of her morning having a meeting with her team, as necessary and before she notices, it’s already quarter to noon. She gets up, grabbing the lunch bag she prepared along with the file she prepared and gets to her car.

She arrives at J.KEH and meets the same receptionist who accommodated them when she first came in with her team.

The lady recognises her and her eyes drops at the bag Aeiyoung is holding. She doesn’t say anything about it.

“I’m here for Mr Kim Jongin.” Aeiyoung informs.

She nods and does the same thing she did like the first.

“Mr Kim is still in a middle of a meeting but Ms Reya said you may go ahead. She’d be the one accommodating you until he will finish shortly.”

Aeiyoung bobs her head with a polite nod. “Thank you.”

Before she can take another step, she asks, “Would you like to be assisted?”

She shakes her head, “Oh, no, no. It’s fine.”

“I understand.”

She heads towards the CEO’s floor and Reya is already standing the lift as it opens, immaculately dressed as ever.

“Good morning, Ms Ji.” She greets.

“Good morning.” She returns, stepping out of the lift. “I was wondering if Mr Kim mentioned that I’ll be dropping some food for him?”

Reya looks at her unsurely, “I believe that’s not the word Mr Kim has left me.” Aeiyoung falls into confusion. “He told me that you’ll be bringing him lunch. I think he’s expecting to see you.”

She blinks, “Isn’t he in the middle of a meeting?”

She nods. “I have already informed him that you are here. He gave me instructions that I’ll let you in inside his office to wait until he gets back. He’ll be out shortly.”

“Oh,” She gulps, flustered. “no, no. I’m happy to drop this off for him. He doesn’t need to see me.”

She looks at her with uncertainty. “Are you sure?”

“Yes.” She answers. “Where can I leave this?”

“Please give it to me, I’ll leave it inside his office, ready for him to eat.” She gives a genuinely polite smile.

“Also, since I’m here, these are the progress so far regarding the event. He can take a look over it and contact me for any questions or some sort.”

“Alright.” She takes the folder. “Are you sure you won’t see him?”

“It’s fine. Please give him a call. Tell him there’s no need to rush.”

Reya takes a further step, trying to make her stay. “The meeting is supposed end soon. In fact, it should’ve ended by now.”

“It’s okay. I also have an appointment in an hour.” She says softly. “Instead, I’ll just leave a note for him.”

Reya nods, giving in. “This way.” She gestures towards her desk.

Aeiyoung grabs a pen and a square white paper. She leaves him a little note, giving it to his assistant to take care of it. When she’s done, she bids herself and heads back to the lift, leaving the building.

By the time she exits the building, turning left where her car is parked, she hears her name being called faintly. She turns and sees Jongin sprinting his way towards her, his blazer ed. She stops and walks back to meet him in the middle.

“Jongin…”

With a clouded gaze, he asks with uneasiness, “You’re not joining me?”

“You’re busy. I didn’t want to disturb you.” She reasons as an answer to his question.

“There’s no way you’ll be disturbing me.” He holds her wrist and with pleading eyes, he asks, “Come, join me, please?”

“I have to leave in less than an hour, though.”

Jongin beams. It’s better than her not staying at all.

“Are you sure I’m not disturbing or distracting you?”

He shakes his head, almost vehemently. “No.” He tilts his head with a charming smile, “Besides, I’ll get to enjoy the food you cooked more if you’re there with me.”

“Okay.” Aeiyoung finally gives in and they both take their steps back inside.

As they enter, his fingers wrapped around her wrist slides down to hold her hand — taking her slender, slim and soft hand around his.


AUTHOR's NOTE:

Yet to proofreed.

Also, just wait, haha, if you think that Aeiyoung is not doing much for Jongin, she will. Just watch, there will be a point in the story where Aeiyoung will do something for Jongin. And it'll be a big thing, both significant for the both of them. Besides, they are at the stage where Jongin is trying to enter Aeiyoung's life, so naturally, he'll reach out more than she will, at this point of their story. There are so many things in this fanficiton, hehe. XD