Chapter 1; How Our Story Begins

Two People (두 사람)

"Seoul, 2006. The weather is really good today." 

 

A girl sit under the tree. She is busy write something on her book while eating her gimbap. Sometimes, she fix her glasses when it slides down from her nose. From her uniform, we can see she's still in high school. 

 

Kang Yoo-hee. That nerdy girl. 

 

Yoo-hee is still writing on her pastel-colored book. Not long after that, she take a look at the field where a bunch of boys is happily playing soccer. 

 

"As always.. I watch everyone during the recess time since i don't have anyone to talk to. Who wants to be friended with a nerdy girl like me?" 

 

Yoo-hee sighs. The thought of "nerdy girl" is flying around her head. She doesn't understand why even everyone is afraid to talk with her. Just because she moved from a country? Or just because she is too quiet that sometimes never realizes someone's appearance around her? 

Yoo-hee continue to write again.

"It's my 2nd year in this school and yet.. I still clueless about everyone. Except someone.."

Yoo-hee turns her head. She fixes her glasses as she take a look at the field. Soon, a little smile appear on her face. 

"That's him." 

A 175 cm boy walking into the field, joining a bunch of boy who's welcoming him happily while doing a high five with him. Yoo-hee take a look at him. 

 

"That 3rd grade boy, Baekhyun sunbae." 

 


2017, present day.

 

Yoo-hee is in front of her computer while typing in a speed of flash. There's a big amount of paper beside her. Everyone around her is as busy as her. 

"Kang Yoo-hee! Where's the proposal i asked you?!" Said one of the employer. Yoo-hee turns her head. She fixes her glasses.

"Uh.. Can you give 5 more minutes?" Yoo-hee said slowly. The employer in front of her sighs. He turns his head towards her. 

"Yah, Kang Yoo-hee you stupid!" 

Yoo-hee walk into the vending machine slowly. She looks really tired as everyone that passes her seeing her in a pity. Yoo-hee sighs. 

"How can life really mean to me? It's already 11 years since i moved to Seoul and i don't have any friends at all. High school.. College.. I don't have any memories about them."

Yoo-hee put the money into the vending machine and press the button. Soon, a can of soda is coming. She hurrily take it and drink it in one shot. 

"The only friend i have is a can of soda." Yoo-hee said as she staring at her soda. She is about to drink it again when someone is yelling at her. 

"Kang Yoo-hee!!" A woman said as she looks really worried. Yoo-hee turns her head. 

"Ah.. Yes, So-jin ssi?" 

"Hurry! Director is looking for you!" 

Suddenly, Yoo-hee's heart is beating faster as a "Director" word come into her head.  Yoo-hee take a look at the woman. 

"Eh?!"  

Yoo-hee take a steps into a room. She bring a document with her. 

"Ever since i worked in here, nobody ever called me in a peace. They always call my name in a tense situation and in a worry. There must be something wrong if they called my name." 

Yoo-hee arrive in front of her director's room. She fix her glasses as she take a breath. Then, she knocked the door. 

"But.. It's okay. As long as i can see this person face.. I don't care about their harsh words towards me." 

"Come in." 

"This voice. The voice that i always wanted to hear." 

Yoo-hee grab the knob and open the door slowly. She slowly entering the room as she scan everything around her. 

"Aigoo.. After making a big mistake yet you still walk like nothing happened." 

Yoo-hee stop her steps. She turns her head into the table in front of her. 

"Director Byun Baekhyun"

Baekhyun take a look at Yoo-hee, who is just frozen in her place. Baekhyun sighs. 

"I actually don't want to say this anymore.. But.. Is this what you called a proposal?!" Baekhyun said as he throw a bunch of paper in front of him. Yoo-hee just quiet. She lowering her head as she bow towards him. 

"I.. I'm sorry.. Director." 

"You should feel sorry about your poor work." Baekhyun said, coldly. He lay his back into the chair. 

"Don't you know that around 180.000 people out there is trying to work in here? They can do your work a hundred times better. What you do now is nothing but just sit in front of computer and get paid. You work for nothing." 

Yoo-hee just quiet. Altough it really hurts her, she just quiet. 

Baekhyun get up from his position. He take a look at the window. 

"You can go now."

Yoo-hee turns her head. A little bit shocked. 

"Eh? I can.. Go now?" 

"Yeah. And don't forget to write your letter of resignment."

 

Everyone in the office is paying their attention towards Yoo-hee, who is packing her things. Yoo-hee just quiet. 

"So director is finally doing the right things to do."

"She stayed here for a quite long time. Her luck." 

"She deserve that."

Yoo-hee is finish packing her things. She close the box. And before leaving, she take out something from her blazer. 

A letter of resignment. 

"What should i do now.." Yoo-hee said as she hold her box. Everyone around her is looking in a confuse look. Yoo-hee sighs. 

"And after 11 years.. I got my first heartbreak from him. Getting fired by him and hearing him swearing in front of my face.. What else can more hurting than this?"

Yoo-hee sit in a bench as she wait for the bus. But then, her phone is vibrating. She takes her phone, and there's a message. 

Unni, don't forget to buy me a box of choco pie today! -Seol

Yoo-hee smile. She quickly type a message. 

Okay. Wait for me. I'll buy you delicious food!

But soon after she pressed a "sent" button,  tears is slowly fall from her eyes. Yoo-hee can't help but cry. How much her family lean on her shoulder and how young her siblings.. She can't help but feel sorry for them. 

"And that's how i live my life. A pitiful life. Where my father is nowhere to be found and my mother is only working as a cashier. And more sad now, their only hope is getting fired by her first love." 

Yoo-hee covering as tears is falling down like a waterfall from her eyes. She lean her head into the box. 

And from afar, someone is watching her from inside the car. He can't take his eyes off her. 

"Director.. Should we go now?" 

Baekhyun just quiet. He keep staring at Yoo-hee. 

"Just wait.. Until the bus is coming." 

 

*****

 

Yoo-hee is walking uphill. She turns her head to the left, to the right, as if she's looking for something. Not long after that, she stop her steps. She smile into something in front of her. 

A tomb. Yoo-hee put the box on the ground as she bow politely into the tomb. 

"Good afternoon, grandpa." Yoo-hee said as she smile. Then, she place a flower on top of the tomb. 

"Grandpa.. Want to have a talk?"

Yoo-hee is sitting beside the tomb. She is staring at nothing. 

"Grandpa.. Why my life is turning out like this?" Yoo-hee said as she remember how she get cursed and fired today. She let out a sigh. 

"If you are here.. Will i be like this?" 

"Yoo-hee ah!" 

Yoo-hee turns her head. A woman in her 60 is standing in front of her. She also bring the same flower as Yoo-hee. 

"Grandma Park." Yoo-hee said as she stand up from her position and bows politely. Grandma Park take a look and her  

"What are you doing in here? You should be at the office now." Grandma Park said as she put her flower beside Yoo-hee's. Yoo-hee just smile. 

"Why? Can't i met grandpa?" 

Grandma Park take a look at Yoo-hee softly. She walk closer towards her. 

"Something must be happened, right?" 

Yoo-hee blink her eyes. She lowering her head. 

"I don't know what am i going to do now, grandma. Everything just crumbled in a speed of lights."

Grandma Park take a look at Yoo-hee. She smile wisely. 

"Are you fired?" 

Yoo-hee just quiet. Grandma Park let out a sigh. 

"Aigoo that bad tempered bastard. He sure will regret it soon." 

Yoo-hee surprised. "He? How can you know my director is a guy-

Grandma Park shakes her head. "No no! I'm just guessing! By the way, it suddenly makes me feels angry!" 

Yoo-hee laughs. She walk closer into Grandma Park and hug her.

"Thank you, grandma. You make me feel better." 

Grandma Park let out a sigh. She hold Yoo-hee's hand. 

"I guess Grandpa is already know what will happen." 

Yoo-hee raised her eyebrows. "Huh?" 

Grandma Park take a look at Yoo-hee. Then, she take out a an envelopes from her bag and give it to Yoo-hee. 

"This is Grandpa's will. And i know you're the one who should open this." 

Yoo-hee shocked as she widen her eyes. "Eh? But you're the one who can open it! Not me! I'm not related anything to him!" 

Grandma Park smile. She pats Yoo-hee's head. 

"You'll find out something once you open it. Come into my house tonight at 7 pm. My driver will pick you up." 

 

*****

 

Baekhyun walk out from the car. He is arrive at his home. His maid hurrily open the door for him. 

"Oh! You're home!" His mother said happily. She soon run into his son and linked into his arm. Baekhyun raised his eyebrows. 

"Wait.. Wait eomma. Did something happened? Or something will be happened?"

Baekhyun's mother turns her head to see if there's someone but nope. Then, she take a look at Baekhyun. 

"Your grandpa will is already opened!"

"What?!" Baekhyun said, surprised. "How?! How can?! But grandma said until she found the right time and the right people she can trust, she will open it! And she's not the type that trust people easil-

"Oh! My grandson is home!" 

Baekhyun turns his head. He hurrily bow towards the voice owner. Then, he turns his eyes happily. 

"Aigoo Madam Park! You look really happy today!" 

Grandma Park laugh. She open her arms as Baekhyun run towards her and hug her. Grandma Park take a look at him. 

"Hey you stinky boy! Better now take a bath! We will welcoming a special guest!" 

Baekhyun turns his head. "Special guest? Who?"


Yoo-hee looking at herself in a mirror. She wear a pink dress that suit her body really well. She keep looking at her lower body, to make sure that it save enough to not make any turn their attention towards her. 

"It's pretty good." 

Yoo-hee turns her head. Her mother is standing in front of the door. Yoo-hee smile. 

"Eomma." 

"Hey.. Eventough you're fired you should make yourself pretty too!" Yoo-hee's mom said as she take off her daughter's glasses. Yoo-hee just quiet. 

"I'm sorry.. Eomma."

"I'm working pretty fine now that i can make a living for 3 of you. Don't worry. Calm yourself and find a better job soon." 

Yoo-hee smile. Her eyes are teary. She hug her mom. 

"Thank you, eomma." 

Her mother take a look at her. "Okay.. Now, i should make my daughter pretty first." 

 

Baekhyun is buttoning his shirt. He thinks of something. 

"Guest? A special guest? Who is it? A lawyer? Or a monk? Since grandma always pray in the temple so she trust grandpa's will to a monk?" Baekhyun asked himself. He shakes his head. 

"I don't know. I really don't get any clue." 

Baekhyun walk downstairs as he see his grandma is already sit at the couch on the living room. Baekhyun hurrily run into the couch. 

"What make you look so nervous grandma?" Baekhyun said in a joke. Grandma Park take a look at him. But then, she make a serious facial expression. 

"Baekhyun ah, you're almost 30 and already adult now."

Baekhyun nods. "Yes. Then?" 

"Have you.. Ever think about marriage?" 


Yoo-hee is sit at the bench. She's staring at the floor. Then, she take a out something from her clutch. 

It's an envelopes that Grandma Park gave to her earlier. She's staring at it. 

"Why i should be the one who keep this? How can i related to him?" 

But before she could answer herself, a black car is stop right in front of her. A guy is walking out from the car as he walk approaching Yoo-hee. 

"Excuse me, are you Miss Kang?"


 
"Marriage? Nah i never ever think about it." Baekhyun said as he lay his back into the couch. Grandma Park shakes her head.

"Baekhyun.." 

"It's enough, grandma." Baekhyun said as he smile eventough he is faking it. He grab his grandma's hand. 

"Grandma know very well that i was a free spirited, right? Marriage? That's really not my style! How can-

Baekhyun's grandma suddenly turns her head. And soon, a wide smile is forming on her lips. 

"She's here."

Baekhyun raised his eyebrows in confused. 

"Huh? Who?-

"Your wife. Your choosen wife is here."

Baekhyun stand up from his position as he turns his back to see who is it. But then, his eyes are widen. 

Yoo-hee is standing in front of him. She is also shocked when her eyes met with Baekhyun's. 

"Wait.. What?!" 

"Oh?! You stupid nerd?!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello! I'm a newbie writer here, nice to meet you! 😁 If you want to give your opinion, you can leave a comment. Thank you!