It's so cold again

Childhood friends

A/N:  I am back again! Welcome to the next chapter. is about to get down now and this and the next chapter is something you have been waiting for. 


 

 

"I don’t like you like that anymore” Doyeon clarified “I like someone else now, just thought you might wanna go as friends” 

Tao thought about it for a short moment “Sure” he answered with a small smile. "Can I ask you who you like though?” he cautiously let out. He didn’t want to cross a line, but he was rather curious. 

Doyeon averted his eyes for a moment, and he was about to apologize but then she spoke “Sure” with a shy smile. She stepped closer and whispered it into his ear. 

"Wait” Tao let out and leaned away from her “Seriously?!” he asked, and she nodded in embarrassment. 

"Omg! I’m so happy!” 

"Thank you for telling me” he let out in a softer voice, knowing how hard it could be to admit that. 

"I wish the best for you!” he encouraged, and pulled her into a hug, which shocked Doyeon and himself as well “Tao? What are you doing?” 

"I’m just happy for you” he reasoned “It’s no big deal” she chuckled. “It is” he argued “I’m happy for you” He let go of her, and she averted his eyes again 

"Thank you, Tao, see you on Monday” she replied with a small wave and began to leave “See you” 

Another one of his friends was biual. Now that’s interesting. 

 

"I thought you said you were alright?” Jaemin asked Jeno after they had lost sight of the two seniors. The boy who was leaning against the wall let out a quiet “I am”, but the absent look in his eyes told Jaemin he wasn’t. He was stuck inside his own head, mind spiraling into chaos. 

Jaemin let out a sigh, knowing what had happened, and that Jeno wouldn’t be okay for a long time.

"I’m okay because you are here” Jeno confessed in a small voice and with a soft smile on his face. Jaemin sported a small smile too, happy that Jeno was able to open up to him. He pulled Jeno into a hug “If you say so” he whispered. 

"I swear” Jeno whispered back “And even if I’m not, you’re here”. Jeno's arms tightened around Jaemin’s waist “and I love you” 

"I love you too” Jaemin smiled at him “Come on, let’s go”, Jeno nodded with a smile and followed Jaemin who held his hand tight. His heart was bursting, and he was happy he had Jeno. 

 

"Are you gonna pick me up for the ball?” Kris’ girlfriend asked him as they walked home. Kris didn’t answer her, too caught up in his own thoughts, so she let out an annoyed breath “Kris!” she called out, and the boy turned to her. 

"What?” he asked with a confused expression plastered on his face “Didn’t you hear me?” she asked, and Kris hesitantly shook his head “No?” 

"I asked you if you’ll pick me up for the ball?” 

"Uhm, yeah of course” he answered, but his focus was already gone. Her expression changed to worry. 

"Are you okay?” she asked him “Yeah, I’m fine” he let out, but his focus was somewhere else, and she followed his eyes. 

"That’s Tao isn’t it?” she more or less stated “Yeah” Kris answered “And the girl people think is his girlfriend” 

"They are dating, aren’t they?” she asked, seeing how close they were. “They’re not” Kris spoke.

"Are you sure?” She asked again, as Doyeon leaned into Tao who smiled. “They are not”, he scoffed. They are not dating. He’s confident about it, but then Tao hugged Doyeon. Something Tao rarely did and had never done with a girl, that wasn’t his family. Kris wanted to look away, he didn’t like the thing his heart did when he watched them but he couldn’t. 

Seeing them like that, reminded him of one thing, time was running out. 

He has to move quickly.


 

"I’m going to kill him” Sehun growled, and Minhyuk didn’t take it as seriously as the rest of their group did. 

"Relax” he let out and slung an arm around Sehun who sat tense in his seat. Luhan cringed at this, seeing as Sehun wasn’t in the mood for Minhyuk’s stupidity at all.

"Minhyuk” Sehun growled, “I’m gonna kill you if you don’t let go”. The drunk one only laughed, unable to register Sehun’s mood. 

"Nah you won’t,” he teased but when Sehun turned to him, Hyungwon quickly pulled Minhyuk away, scared for his well-being. Sehun was not to be messed with tonight.

"Don’t you think you’re a bit too...” Onew’s voice sounded. 

"A bit too what?” Sehun snapped, and Onew took a sip of his beer before answering “Affected?” 

Sehun clenched his fists, and let out a sigh, not wanting to get on Onew’s bad side even more “I already told you” Sehun spoke and crossed his arms.

Onew looked away from him for a moment, and neither realized how they affected the rest of the table who didn’t understand what the two of them were discussing. 

"Prove it” Onew spoke, and Sehun’s frustration had a hard time calming down “I am”. I’m trying, he wanted to spit out. 

"Wanna update the group?” Minseok asked, flicking his eyes between the two. 

"It’s probably loverboy~” Minhyuk giggled from Hyungwon’s hold, his head leaning onto Hyungwon’s chest. Minhyuk’s eyes kept falling shut, and both Sehun and Hyungwon let out disappointed sighs.

"You want to kill him?” Luhan cautiously asked Sehun. 

"No” Sehun scoffed. “I still wanna meet him” Minhyuk whined, with an arm flailing around. “Shut up!” Sehun snapped and turned to Luhan “No, I don’t. It’s his friend. The one who’s the reason for his unhappiness” 

"His crush?” Hyungwon asked, sitting with a less annoying Minhyuk as he had finally fallen asleep. 

"Yes” 

What did he do?” Luhan pushed, ignoring the scoff that Minseok let out. Sehun’s knuckles turned white from the harsh grip he had on his glass. He locked eyes with Onew who stared at him with cold eyes, watching his every move. “Too many things” Sehun reasoned, unable to find the words to explain everything Kris had done “He doesn’t deserve Tao”

He downed the rest of his drink and gestured for a refill to a nearby waiter. He didn’t realize he accidentally let out his “loverboy’s” name. 

"I met him a few days ago” he spoke with his eyes locked onto Onew. “He was heartbroken, and he cried for the whole night because of him!” he snapped “and it’s not the first time!” 

"Too many times I’ve picked up the pieces of Tao’s heart because of his “Friend” Onew!” 

"Maybe you don’t believe me, but I am going to take Tao away from that guy!” He exclaimed and stood up. “It’s getting late, I’m leaving”, and then he left the bar. He waited outside for his chauffeur to arrive.

"You really love him” A voice spoke, and Sehun turned to face Luhan, and let out a snicker. 

"Finally talking to me, what does your boyfriend think of that?” He asked with a grin and leaned on the building wall. Luhan kept his eyes off of Sehun. “He dislikes your childish games” he answered, and Sehun snickered again. 

"Is that so. How could you go behind his back?” 

"I'm not going behind his back” Luhan argued, still not looking at him “And I believe he wouldn’t mind me rejecting you” 

Sehun looked away from Luhan with a lower snicker “Is that why you came out here?”. Finally, Luhan looked directly at Sehun, and Sehun didn’t like the serious expression on his face. His heart hurt at it. 

Sehun, please stop, you love him so much” 

"I’d do the same for you” Sehun blurted out in a soft voice, and Luhan’s expression faltered to a sad expression. He stared directly into Sehun’s soul as he spoke “That’s why I said you really love him”

He understood the length Sehun would go for him, but Sehun had to move on. He’s with Minseok, and he’s happy. 

Sehun was now the one to avert Luhan’s eyes.

"Maybe, but don’t think I wouldn’t” he spoke again. His voice was fading out, and Luhan felt guilty somehow. Perhaps because he was the one who caused Sehun to fall for him, but that’s not his fault. It’s Sehun’s fault for not backing down.

"If ever Minseok isn’t treating you the way he should be-” 

"-I’m more than capable of getting out of that relationship myself” Luhan voiced, and Sehun looked at him and shook his head. 

"No, you won’t” He spoke, and stepped closer to Luhan.

"They all say that but everyone is too blinded by love to do so,” he paused for a moment, “just look at Tao!” he snapped, and Luhan saw the tears form in his eyes, even if Sehun himself wasn’t aware of them. 

He’s a cut that keeps on bleeding!” he took in a deep breath, “Even if he tells me and his friends that he’ll move on, that he’ll let go, he still keeps on loving him!” 

His voice was breaking, and so was Luhan’s heart “He’s still yearning for that guy, he still keeps on bleeding for him!”. His voice broke in the end and he choked on a sob. 

"You won’t be able to leave Minseok when that day comes”. He tried to stay stern, but his shaky voice showed Luhan the truth. 

"This isn’t fair” Luhan voiced in a low voice. “This isn’t fair to Tao. You want to protect him from getting hurt, but you keep chasing after me like he is chasing after his friend, and it’s only going to hurt both of you!” He snapped at Sehun, and even though he was lecturing him, his eyes were soft. 

"How can you promise him your heart, when you try to do that here as well?” Sehun didn’t answer but listened to everything Luhan said. 

This isn’t fair to anyone” Luhan continued, and Sehun understood, even if he didn’t want to. “You’re going to get hurt. You’re the cut that keeps on bleeding” he stated, and it hit home. Sehun froze as he took in Luhan’s words.

"Please, stop this childish and obsessive chase Sehun, and actually give your heart to him” Luhan’s voice was shaky as well at this point, but he still needed Sehun to understand. He was playing around and messing with Luhan’s relationship, while he had an amazing opportunity to get his happy ending with someone else. He took a deep breath and stared Sehun down.

"I’m never going to love you Sehun”. The other wasn’t looking at him anymore, but staring at the ground. “So don’t contact me anymore until you’ve moved on from this stupid game. I’m not gonna be a part of it” Luhan finished and walked inside again. Sehun’s car finally arrived, and as soon as he was inside, his tears fell. He could hear his driver ask if he was okay, but he didn’t have the words to answer. He just wanted to go home, he just wanted to be held together. Maybe it’s like Luhan said.

Maybe he’s the one who’s going to hurt, but then again, isn’t love about sacrifice? He stared out of the window. He didn’t like the Christmas lights. He didn’t like the cold either. He didn’t like the shiver that goes through his body when he’s alone.

 

"What’s going on with Jeno and Jaehyun?” Taeyong asked Doyoung who was at his locker. His mouth turned into a grin. Oh, how easy it would be to win, how easy everything is, falling into place by itself. 

He turned around and faced Taeyong “Are you sure you wanna know?” he asked, and the brave facade Taeyong always put on around him, showed up “Where is this even coming from?” he further asked.

Taeyong let out a sigh, and leaned against the lockers beside Doyoung “We ran into Jeno a few days ago, and he was just, he was acting weird” 

"Who? Jeno or Jaehyun” Doyound asked as he closed his locker and leaned against it.

"Both of them” 

Taeyong let out a sigh before continuing, “Jeno didn’t even look at him, he looked scared, and Jaehyun was- I have never seen that look on his face before” Taeyong was far away. The look in his eyes was sad, and he wasn’t aware of his surroundings anymore. 

"Seems like Jaemin hates Jaehyun’s guts as well” he continued. 

Doyoung took a moment to speak. “So you met Jaemin as well” and Taeyong nodded his head. “Yeah, he’s a friend of Jeno right?” 

Doyoung’s breath hitched, and with closed eyes, he corrected, “Boyfriend,” Taeyong’s head shot towards Doyoung in shock, “Oh, sorry” he apologized.

"So something happened right?” he pushed again, and Doyoung was silent for a while again “I thought you’d want to win, so why are you asking me?” 

"Because I need to know who I love” 

"Okay” Doyoung answered, but left Taeyong’s question unanswered, and walked away. 


 

"What are you going to do during the break?” Tao asked as he and Johnny walked from the canteen “Ten and I are going to hang out” he hesitantly answered, but he still smiled.

"That’s great!” Tao exclaimed in excitement and his reaction sent relief through Johnny.

"What about you?” 

Tao’s mood immediately changed, and in a monotone voice he let out “There’s a gala at the company, and I have to attend”, but then a smile came back on his face, and it caused a stir of bad emotions in Johnny’s stomach “luckily Sehun will be there” Tao continued, and Johnny’s throat closed up but he had the lingering sensation of puke pushing its way up. 

"That’s great” he let out with a forced smile. It looked real enough for his discomfort to go unnoticed. 

"Yeah, I’m really happy I met him”. His smile grew wider “He’s making me forget about everything” 

Even if Johnny hated that Sehun won, he was happy it was him, just seeing what Sehun did to Tao. Johnny wouldn’t be able to make him that happy. 

 

"Did you tell him?”. Doyoung didn’t answer Jaehyun who softly pushed him against the locker.

"Did you tell him?!” Jaehyun asked again, and this time he slammed his hand against the locker by Doyoung’s head. Doyoung flinched shortly but remained unfazed as he stared into the frustrated eyes of Jaehyun. He tilted his head and asked, “Why?” 

"You scared he’d leave if I did?” 

"Is that why you haven’t told him yet?” 

Doyoung eyed Jaehyun up and down with a smirk and there was a lingering look in his eyes. 

"You should take care of your playboy, playboy”. Jaehyun searched for an answer in Doyoung’s eyes “What’s that supposed to mean?” but Doyoung didn’t answer and lightly pushed Jaehyun’s shoulder so he could leave. 

Jaehyun watched Doyoung, dumbstruck at what he had said. Taeyong wasn’t a playboy, he’s too soft for that. He walked outside the school and met up with the latter person, who began to drag him along somewhere. 

"Are you serious?!” Taeyong’s furious voice sounded, Taeyong had dragged him to a cafe where they met up with Ten and Jaehyun couldn’t care less. After all, they’d constantly fight about this. Taeyong was looking at Ten who sat with crossed arms. He rolled his eyes “Why can’t you just let me go?” he asked his friend. Taeyong scoffed at this “That’s not the point-”

"It is!” Jaehyun interrupted and Taeyong turned to him. Jaehyun let out a frustrated breath as they’d constantly fight like this, and Taeyong had told him he had moved on. 

"He has no problem with Johnny, but you do! And it’s all because you can’t let go!” he continued. “You keep telling me that you like me, and I believe you, but you’re too invested in Ten’s affairs for it to be because you’re friends”. 

He calmed down, and neither of the two others said anything. “I like you too you know, but please, can’t you just move on?” He begged Taeyong, whose eyes turned soft. Ten grew uncomfortable at the sight and looked away from them. 

"How much longer are we gonna fight about this? How long until I know if you actually like me or just in need of a distraction?” he questioned, but then got up from his seat with his bag. “Call me when you’ve made up your mind” and then he left, and understood what Doyoung said. 


 

Tonight was the night, and as Johnny was getting ready, he recalled the day he stumbled into Sehun.

He tightened his tie, as he recalled what Sehun had told him. 

"You won’t go after him anymore” 

It hurt. It hurt a lot as well to remember that he had actually accepted the deal. He wished he hadn’t, but with a deep breath, he straightened his back and told himself to follow the plan, even if he was at a breaking point. He just, he just needed guts to go through with it. 

He looked at his watch and knew he had to pick up Irene soon. Hopefully, everything would go smoothly tonight. 

Music was already blaring when they arrived at the ball. He didn’t see Tao yet but knew he’d come soon, so he decided to find some of his friends instead together with Irene. 

Kyungsoo and Kai were happily laughing together at one table, while Jeno and Jaemin were just entering the hall as well with Doyoung walking behind them sporting a proud smile. Jeno turned and threw an annoyed glance at his brother who grinned, and so did Jaemin. Embarrassed, Johnny believed. Lucas and Jungwoo were by the snacks, stuffing their faces as usual, and he could hear Lucas’ loud laugh over the music. He also spotted Taeyong walking up to Jaehyun who was walking inside the hall. 

Jaehyun arrived a bit after the others, mostly because he didn’t go with Taeyong due to what happened a few days ago. Instead, he had gone with some of his friends from the music club, but they had disappeared as soon as they stepped inside. 

 

Tao and Doyeon walked inside, arm in arm, and Tao felt on edge. Just picking up Doyeon had been a challenge, and now they were at the ball. 

He was a nervous wreck because for the first time his friends would see him that close with a girl. Sure, they knew he and Doyeon were friends, but when has he ever touched a girl? 

Doyeon, though smiling, was nervous as well he noticed. She had her free hand on his linked arm, and it was a tight grip as well. As if she was scared, and needed reassurance before stepping out of her comfort zone. Tao glanced around the room, trying to spot his friends, and his eyes fell onto Johnny and Irene. 

They went to the two standing by a small table, small-talking. Somehow their cold, but cool, appearances matched each other well. Really well, and Irene was actually softly smiling while they talked. They were both equally good looking as well. Even if Tao wasn’t attracted to girls, he still had eyes. 

Johnny was handsome in his suit. A clean black suit, ordinary but on the tall guy, it was breathtaking. His hair was in a comma hairstyle, different from his usual hairstyle, and Tao found himself staring at his friend. 

He shook away the thought, but couldn’t help but wonder if there was anything between Johnny and Irene, even though he knew there wasn’t.

Irene left after having been introduced to Doyeon, and it was just the 3 of them now, just like it had been the last few months, and Tao didn’t hate it. He had grown fond of them. They danced and met up with some of their friends before Tao made a suggestion. 

"Hey let’s take a picture together” he spoke as he noticed the photo booth set up. His two friends excitedly agreed and they all ran over to the students waiting in line. Tao caught himself smiling, and realized he was having fun, just like Johnny had said he would.

He didn’t even think about Kris that much, even if his eyes fell on him from time to time. How he’d see him dancing with his date out on the dance floor, how he’d be having fun with their friends as well. Even if that happened, he was still having fun. 

After their picture, Doyeon announced she had to leave them while staring at something. Tao followed her eyes and saw what it was. 

"Okay,” he laughed and threw her thumbs up as she left for her date. She was in love. 

He glanced around, spotting some of his friends in the crowd.  

Mark and Hyuck who had decided to take things slow, hung out with the rest of the dreamies, and Mark was happy, finally, he was home again. Finally, he could hang out with his friends again. Jeno and Jaemin were there as well of course, but almost completely in their own world. 

Yuta and Sicheng were snacking together, and Yuta kept clinging to the Chinese student who pretended to hate it. An old married couple between the many young couples. Baekhyun was mingling with a lot of other friends. Even if his mind was filled with Chanyeol’s empty promise about the ball, a long forgotten one, he still enjoyed his night even if he couldn’t share it with the one he loved. 

 

"Tao!” A voice called and Tao saw Kai making his way towards him “Wanna take some pictures together?” and Tao yelled an excited yes, and dragged him to the booth. Johnny got an idea and gathered the rest of the gang for a photo; Yuta, Sicheng, Baekhyun, and Taeyong so they could get a closeted group photo. As they got ready for the picture, Johnny looked over at Tao.

He was in love with the look on Tao’s face as they took the picture. He loved the glee on his face, and he loved that it would be eternalized with that picture. He loved how the suit he was wearing looked on him. He loved the small glittery shadow on his eyelids he so daringly had put on. He loved Tao’s messy bangs that were less messy and parted tonight.

It only hit him after the flash had gone off, that he had been openly staring at him the whole time. Tao luckily only threw him a smile when he caught him, and Johnny’s heart did that weird thing again. 

The group decided to go dance together, but Taeyong didn’t join them. 

He wanted to find Jaehyun and apologize to him and tell him he loves him. He had tried earlier, but Jaehyun had dismissed him.

He recognized some of the singer’s club members and asked if they had seen him. A few of them gestured to the hallway that led to the rest of the school. 

The music was still audible and his footsteps echoed as he walked down the brightly lit hallway. 

He saw other students lingering, but didn’t see Jaehyun, and he decided to call out his name when he rounded a corner and finally spotted Jaehyun. 

Jaehyun making out with Doyoung.
Doyoung who had warned him about Jaehyun.

Doyoung who had backed down. 

Jaehyun who had just told Taeyong he liked him a few days ago.

The worst part was that Jaehyun seemed into it. Hand by Doyoung's head and the other behind his neck

"He’s a playboy” 

It rang in his head."You’re going to get hurt”  

He wasn’t sure if he actually locked eyes with Doyoung as everything happened so quickly. Suddenly he was making his way back to the ballroom, not even once looking back, and with tears threatening to fall. He ignored his friends calling out to him, he wasn’t sure if they even were, as the music and his beating heart were all he heard as the scene replayed inside his head. He went for the exit and didn’t stop walking until he was far away from the school. Only then, on the small bridge, did he let go and cry. Jaehyun wanted Taeyong to prove he liked him, but he’s the one making out with someone else. Was it all really just a joke? 

"I’m a fool” he let out in a broken voice.

 

Back at the ball, Tao and Johnny decided to go out for some fresh air and sat down on the stairs in front of the entrance of their school. 

They were both smiling and softly laughing as they recalled everything that had happened tonight. Tao especially reminisced about everything. They could still hear the music playing from inside, and Tao smiled brightly, unaware of the way Johnny was staring at him. All he could think about was how Johnny was right. It was indeed a fun night. 

Then suddenly, without warning “I love you” Johnny’s voice sounded.

 


"Why did you do that?" 

"Did you not want me to? Wasn't it enjoyable?" 

"Is this your revenge?" 

"Yes, thank you. He deserves better anyway" 

_ _ _

He knew he shouldn't have followed them, but time was running out, and he didn't want them to end like that. 

He pushed through the crowd of students, to get to them. 

"I love you" 

He just managed to catch. 

He was too late