Past Chapter 16

Passerby

The little boy stands in the one fine day which every one of us always look forward to.

The sound of water flowing irregularly from the hose was played by Kyuhyun as he laughs all the way, having fun with watering the beautiful and vibrant plants. He was too happy that he didn’t realize the wet soil had dirtied the new shoes his mother bought for his birthday present. He drops the hose with the water still flowing on the grass and take the white dirtied shoes off, placing them gently near where his mother is currently washing clothes.

Seojin looks at her little hero while smiling, “Are you done watering the plants?”

“Yes.” Kyuhyun pouted, “Mommy, I’m sorry.”

“Why?”

Kyuhyun show his mother the dirtied shoes. “I made my birthday shoes dirty. That's too bad… But that’s okay my dear. Don’t worry… mommy will wash this for you after the clothes.” Seojin assured. She doesn’t like seeing her son sad, especially when the boy lets out such a deep pout.

“No mommy.” Kyuhyun sobbed, “You don’t need to…I will wash this myself.”

“Are you sure you can do it?”

“Yes!”

“Alright.” Seojin picks up another short chair for Kyuhyun to sit. “Sit here.” She told her son which he obediently followed. Seojin wash the family’s clothes while her son washes his small shoes with determination on his face, rosy cheek rose as he brushed the dirty part. As she in thought wanted to be the one to wash the shoes, she is reminded of having every soft spot for Kyuhyun and none is vacant. She had been raising her son for four years and none of the things she done to her son were devoid of love. Her son is the light of her life and she treasures the young being more than anything, even much more than she treasures her own life.

The opening sound of the house’s gate reaches her ears. Kyuhyun shot his head towards the sound and look at his mother. “Mommy, is daddy home early?” The steps were getting closer and Seojin stood, marching her son inside the house and guide him to the basement. “Hide and seek again, mommy?”

“Yes, our Kyuhyun loves to play hide and seek, right?” Seojin couldn’t hide her shaky hands as she caresses her son’s hair and pat his rosy cheeks. Kyuhyun nods, “The three of us will play hide and seek. Mommy is hiding you here and daddy will have to find you. A lovely present will wait if you win, my dear.”

“Okay mommy, I will hide here.”

“Good. Count starts now.” Seojin gives her son a peck on the forehead before leaving the basement. She locks the basement door and hides the key in her pocket. With her steady breath and prayers, she head outside to where she and her son do the washing. There stood a man with untidy work clothing, the black suit she always washed with care is off the dirty soil. The empty Soju bottle in his hand doubt her that he only drank one.

“You’re home, honey… Welcome back.” Seojin holds the urge to ask why the man came home early by taking the bag in his other hand.

“Where’s the child?”

“Kyuhyun is playing with his friends.” Seojin smiles, “I was washing the clothes here alone, but I can continue that later. You must be tired…Are you hungry? Looks like you haven’t eaten yet. I will cook something for you. What do you want, honey?”

“Because of that child and you, she refused to treat me well.” Seojin’s heart skipped a beat in alarm. “My legal wife kicked me out of the house again because she’s reminded of you and that damn child!” The man kicks the bucket with wet clothes towards Seojin, soaking her instantly. The bucket had hit her shoulder, making her secretly wince in pain. He’s drunk… he’s saying stuff that could not be true, Seojin reminds herself. “Where’s the child! He’s to blame! Bring that damn being here, right now! I’m going to kill him!”

“Minhyeol ah, there is nothing to blame our child!”

“Our?” Minhyeol scoffed and smashed the bottle on the wall, pointing the half broken bottle at her. “Our child…Don’t make me ing laugh! Why are you so sure that child is mine!? He couldn’t be mine!”

“Please calm down…”

“Move, you wench!”

Seojin backs away slowly as by each steps, the broken bottle is pointing near at her face. “You’re drunk—!” Before she could finish her sentence, Minhyeol hits her head hard mercilessly with the broken Soju bottle. She couldn’t enclose her scream and fell to the ground. As she opens her eyes she sees blood dripping into the cement. Despite getting shots of pain on her head she tries fixing her back straight and slowly stands up with the help of the wall beside.

Minhyeol dropped the bottle and messy his hair in frustration as he begins to scream. He smashed several pots to the wall and almost destroy the whole garden. Seojin could no more see vibrant color glisten under the sun, and so will their son. What would she answer if their son will ask the whereabouts of the beautiful plants? “Damn it! If you hadn’t given birth, these wouldn’t happen!”

“Please…stop!” Seojin tries holding him from doing more. Instead of stopping, she receives a hard slap that made her fall again.

She will protect and maintain her son’s happiness despite having a mask to secrete the undeniable pain.

 

 

“What else you don’t understand?”

“This fifteen…Where did you get fifteen from five?”

“Its times by three.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Sorry.”

Jessica grinned and writes another working on her math notebook.

The class was having their self study session prior another daily test for the final exam preparation. The weeks have been hectic and even though Kyuhyun was always the smart one, he even felt like his head might explode soon. Being a good friend he never hesitates lending his friends some hand who were having a hard time studying. His works pretty paid off, he’s like a private tutor for a month.

Speaking of month…Time flies fast since Kyuhyun and Siwon started dating. Even though they just surpassed a month, they spend time wisely together despite their busy schedules. Both even spare their time to study together and tutor each other. Ryeowook knew about them dating a week after from Heechul and he was quite moody about it since Kyuhyun hadn’t said a word but nevertheless gives them his blessings (There’s no way a good brother wouldn’t give blessings to something that made their brother happy.) The way Siwon and Kyuhyun treat each other doesn’t really change, only the affectionate and care deepened not as friends but new lovers. At times they can’t express how they really feel making them falling into their clumsy state. It always goes to Kyuhyun because he couldn’t contain his heartbeat whenever he’s around Siwon. That made Kyuhyun look like the one who likes Siwon more, not to mention Siwon was the one who confessed.

Also, the way Kyuhyun behave wasn’t missed by his friends. They noticed Kyuhyun’s personality change. It wasn’t like Kyuhyun changed 360 degrees. They always knew the boy has his soft, kind, cool and sweet side opposite from his cheeky and snarky ones. However, it seems a little bit odd to see Kyuhyun in his soft side simultaneously for four weeks straight. Once Minho told Kyuhyun to buy him three breads and four cans of soda milk as a joke and usually Kyuhyun would smack him on the back or throw the joke off. Instead to their surprise, Kyuhyun went to the canteen and buys them alone. Sensing Kyuhyun was hiding something, they pour questions on him but the boy only smile and hadn’t given a word about it.

Of course, they know the obvious answer when they caught a tall handsome guy fetching Kyuhyun from school. The guy look quite familiar and it took them to buy he was the same guy from the famous high school who caused a small commotion by standing in front of the school gate. From afar they may look like best friends, but once you know how they smile towards each other you might want to change your mind.

On the other side, Jessica took all her effort to tolerate what she saw on that day, the day when Siwon fetch Kyuhyun from school. It could be some bet they made. There is no way they’re dating but the possibility of it isn’t impossible. She knew they are hiding something. Siwon didn’t change that much only that he smiles often now which was quite rare. And it was quite nauseating to see Kyuhyun showed symptoms of changing into somewhat kindhearted boy. She disliked him at first glance and because of that she dislikes him even more. Her goal transferring into this public school is not to make friends with low class people, but to know more about Kyuhyun and create a distance between him and Siwon. However, as time passed she made quite a clumsy mistake. She forgotten her goal and the two is getting closer despite her already telling Kyuhyun that Siwon is hers only.

For forgetting such goal, she is out of her mind. Thus, she thought to release her long time plan. The past few months were only her way of warming up. No one can touch her Siwon, nor can anyone have him. Suddenly she felt a tug on her chest as Heechul’s words float in her mind. Was her fondness towards Siwon was only an obsession? No, Heechul doesn’t know a thing about how she felt. She loves Siwon and would do anything to make him hers.

“Hey, let’s grab snacks at canteen.” Jessica offers as he close her book, faking a yawn. “I’m quite hungry.”

“Alright.” Kyuhyun sighs and they made their way quietly down to the canteen. There are some students seated there probably skipping the boring classes. They go to the snack section and grab whatever they want to buy.

“Maybe for others too…” Jessica fakes an excuse as she look to the left side and give her signals to the two boys seated on one of the tables. “What do you think, Hyunnie?”

“Yeah, I already pick some for them.” Kyuhyun said as he pays the canteen lady. Just when he turns around out of blue two boys splashes two bowls of spicy rice cake to his face and uniform. Surprised with deep frown, Kyuhyun drop the plastic bag and wipe his face slowly with his hand to see whoever did it. His hair and uniform is now drenched in spicy cake sauce. Oh how Jessica wanted to laugh when she watch it. The canteen staffs were too stunned that they couldn’t say anything and some students are flabbergasted with the spontaneous bully scene while some snickering, secretly enjoying the show.

“Yah! Kyuhyun ah are you okay?” Jessica is trying her best faking her concern. That was her first warning, she hope Kyuhyun took it wisely. “Who are they to do this to you?!” Those are the boys Jessica paid early morning to do that to Kyuhyun. They were paid with good amount, no wonder they done a good job.

“I’m okay. Don’t mind them.” Kyuhyun sighs, it was a random humiliation of the day and to his surprise he seems like in the verge of crying. Just what did he do to them that he received this sudden treatment? He knows everyone from his batch and at times made fun troubles to them together with Changmin and Minho, but he doesn’t remember ever bullying his juniors.

“I mind! You’re not okay. What should we do? The next class might start soon.”

“No, it’s dismissal after this.” Kyuhyun picks up the plastic bag, “Let’s go back.”

“With you like that?!” Jessica smirks inside.

“Then, what else should I do? Confront them? I’m not wasting my energy talking to people like them. Do the same? It’ll make me the same as them.” Kyuhyun said in monotone and Jessica clenches her fist.

His kindness is too aggravating.

They head back to the class with the whispers still behind. When the door slide open revealing Kyuhyun with spicy rice cake sauce all over his uniform and face, everyone sat there too stunned to the sudden view. No one laugh or secretly snicker. Kyuhyun go back to his seat casually and give the plastic bag to the stunned Minho. “For you guys.” Changmin frowned as rage growing within while Sooyoung is quietly in tears.

After dismissal the group decided to accompany Kyuhyun to the infirmary for a change. Sooyoung and Jessica want to wait for Kyuhyun but it’d be awkward to see girls waiting together with boys inside so they decide to head out earlier.

“How the heck did that happen?” Changmin who is still furious ask Kyuhyun who’s opening his buttons. “Yah Cho Kyuhyun. How can you even stand still after someone did something horrible to you? Ok never mind that, tell us what they look like cause I’m gon’ bury them alive.”

“Even if you did the same that’d make you the same as them, right Kyu? Same goes for us.” Minho answers and receives a nod from Kyuhyun. “See, I know him very well. He’s so pure hearted, my role model.”

“Let’s not waste time planning that. What good will it does to you anyway. It’s my business and I decided to settle it by being quiet. It doesn’t mean I’m going to stand still and do nothing about it.”

“Then what are you planning to do?” Changmin asks, his voice sounds impatience. “You don’t want to be the new laughing stock for this school, are you?”

“No, don’t worry.” Kyuhyun smiled, patting the invisible dust off the uniform. “That’s because someone must’ve planned it to mess me, Chang.”

“What? Really?” Minho surprised. “That’s new…How do you know?”

“Well…What kind of junior braves enough to do that to their sunbae?”

“But what if it’s a prank?”

“Those boys could’ve splashed it to someone earlier before we got there.” Kyuhyun said as he uses the temporary uniform given from the infirmary, “And… it seemed planned. They must’ve bought the spicy rice cake earlier before me and Jessica arrived at the canteen. Why? The food was cold. After we arrived it took them not even five minutes to prepare, it’s kind of odd isn’t it? I’m sure they were waiting for me there…” Kyuhyun trails and realized something’s off. “I’m sure…”

Jessica?

No, that couldn’t be.

“Smart Kyu.” Minho chuckles, “At the same time you were observing huh? Man, if I were you I had no idea!”

“Odd enough…” Changmin nods, “No, that’s very odd though. Something’s strange. I think they’re targeting you on purpose.” Kyuhyun frowns. Was really it Jessica? Otherwise how come they know the perfect timing? Going back to the moment at the classroom, Jessica suddenly asked to grab some snacks at the canteen and then the incident immediately happened to him only, when there were other students who the boys could actually pull their prank on. “It happened after you got there? What a damn perfect timing.” Even Changmin thinks the same. “Someone must’ve really planned it for you then. It must be one of the people there. Say, how many were there?”

“Less than ten? Including me and Jessica.” Kyuhyun said, “Or maybe more. I don’t really pay attention to those people back there.”

“I think I know who.” Changmin yelled beside Kyuhyun, earning him nudge from the latter of the abrupt surprise. “Sorry. It could be related to that incident when you defend Sooyoung?”

Now that’s new to remember. He totally forgot that incident because basically he and that sunbae got along afterwards, in reason the boy turned out to be the secret admirer of Sooyoung. Kyung Ho talked a lot about Sooyoung during their toilet cleaning until Kyuhyun wished to have a spare time to breathe after hearing thousandths time Kyungho mentioned her name with extreme fondness. Not that the boy was obsessed. Talking about secret admirer, was fighting the best way to gain their attention? Kyuhyun shift them aside and focus on the current talk.

“Got a hold of that, I’m one hundred percent sure it’s not that guy.” Kyuhyun said confidently. They head to the lobby and go to their separate ways. Kyuhyun got into the bus and apparently Siwon wasn’t on the bus so he was all alone, staying silent yet with deep thoughts about what happened today until he gets home. Inside when he was removing his shoes he saw other shoes lining up neatly. With one raised eyebrows Kyuhyun wonders, to what extent does his brother really trust his colleagues until he invited them home? Not to mention he also saw a pink sneaker which quietly depict there’s a female species lingering in his home at the moment, which is very rare. He thought to rush to his bedroom after imagining himself shortly greeting Ryeowook’s colleagues until…

“Oh! Kyuhyun oppa welcome home!” A voice that rings a bell greeted. Yes, that young and childish familiar voice was no other than Jiwon, Siwon’s dearly younger sister. Now what is she doing here? “Welcome home.” He wasn’t surprised to see Heechul follows holding…what? Four packs of meat? It took a while to sense a delightful smell coming from inside. Curiosity risen, Kyuhyun went inside to see everyone walking here and there from the kitchen to dining table.

Ryeowook was putting the ingredients in the pot with the right order, Jiwon was taking a few stuff from the fridge such as mineral water and juice, Heechul wasn’t doing anything but standing there watching Ryeowook while holding packs of meat and there the one he longed to see, his very own lover Choi Siwon currently frying zucchini with eggs.

They exchange glances and Siwon smiled at him, which Kyuhyun does the same.

“Took you a time to get back, was it traffic?” Ryeowook was the third one to welcome him home and its obvious Siwon would be the fourth one, as much as he wanted him the first.

“I guess.” Kyuhyun said even though the road today was super smooth, “What’s up with all these? Anything I could help?”

“We’re finishing in a minute.” Jiwon answered. “It’s a special occasion, Ryeowook ahjussi- I mean, oppa said.”

“Special occasion?” Kyuhyun smiles, placing his bag on the couch, “What? Did they raise your salary, hyung?” Ryeowook only shrugged but the look on him tells as if. Now since when does the two know each other? This is the first time Jiwon stepped into their house.

“Ryeowook invited me and Siwon here but Jiwon wants to come along. I introduced them, dear.” Heechul answered as if reading his question. He gives the packs for Kyuhyun to hold and start tying his hair to a short pony tail. “What the heck happen to your hair? It seems…”

“Sticky?”

“Precisely, what did you do all day? Carrying stones?” Heechul look at his hair in antipathy and he touched them, “Go wash up.”

It didn’t take Kyuhyun fifteen minutes to go back from shower.

“It’s been so long since I have family hotpot!” Jiwon exclaimed in excitement. They were already seated and Kyuhyun was the last one to sit beside Ryeowook. The table was small but it fits everyone perfectly. As if everyone belongs there together in the first place. Ryeowook was currently bickering small things with Heechul about whether everything was cooked while Jiwon sighing as she insists they should start the meal. In the meanwhile Siwon and Kyuhyun exchange glances but weren’t missed by the other three.

They start their meal peacefully and exchange stories and words together. After what Kyuhyun horribly experienced today at school, having a family-like meal like this recovers almost everything. He can’t remember the last time having a delightful meal with people aside from Ryeowook. The atmosphere was calming yet sparkling, he would never forget this first moment. This all started because he met Siwon. He gets to know another wonderful people that are going to play a pretty role in his life. It was all thanks to Siwon he gets to enjoy what felt like a long-time meal. He realized everyone suddenly went quiet and stared at him in bewilderment.

“Kyuhyun ah, what’s wrong?” Siwon asked with concerns. What does he mean what’s wrong? He’s enjoying his meal with everyone.

“Kyuhyun oppa… don’t cry.” Jiwon said and Kyuhyun touched his face. He just cried because of the happy thoughts, why is he being so emotional right now?

“Yah is the hotpot that good?” Heechul holds his laughter. “Ryeowook-ssi, feed him this everyday. It’s so adorable.”

“Shut up.” Ryeowook spat and caresses his brother’s fluffy hair. “Kyuhyun ah… are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m okay. I’m just… really happy right now. It’s been so long since I had a lively meal like this. I…I don’t even remember I…couldn’t…Thank you so much everyone.” Kyuhyun laughed between his sobs while Ryeowook embrace him in a warm hug. “Don’t mind me.” Siwon eyes soften as he remembers his first lively family meal experience with Kyuhyun and Ryeowook. That puts them in the same boat. He also wanted to hug Kyuhyun and give him comfort but Ryeowook made the first move and he can’t do a thing about it. He wasn’t jealous…or is he?

“That’s so sweet Kyuhyun oppa.” Jiwon smiles, “We could have a meal like this everyday if you want! I’m all free!”

“That wasn’t supposed to be you, Ryeowook-ssi.” Heechul smirks, eyeing between Kyuhyun and Siwon. “Let him go, someone might get jealous.”

“Get out.” Ryeowook threatens while Heechul sticks his tongue for him.

“I’m staying! Anyway, when are we starting? I’m up for sweets!”

Siwon leaves his seat and head somewhere else. Kyuhyun wiped his tears and let go of the hug. He felt a soft tap on his shoulder and he turns around to find Siwon standing tall with chocolate cake on hold. Kyuhyun stands while Siwon look at him fondly. There are five candles with different colors similar to the number of people in the house. In the middle was written a ‘Happy Birthday’ with blue letters which is his favorite color. Before Kyuhyun speak a word everybody sings the happy birthday song cheerfully. “Happy birthday, Kyuhyun!” He was too flabbergasted that he just sat in place when the other three hugged him.

“Thank you everyone…”

“Cho Kyuhyun, happy birthday.” Siwon was the last one to congratulate him. Kyuhyun heaves an evidently soft sweet smile which mesmerizes the other completely. There was something that bugs his mind and he felt like laughing all over the place however just for today he’s just going to shrug them away. “Candles gonna melt, you better blow them now.”

“Let me make a wish first.” Kyuhyun closes his eyes and after a minute he opens them and blows the candles.

“What do you wish for, oppa?”

Kyuhyun look at everyone’s curious gaze and shyly gaze down, “That’s a secret.”

 

 

Young Ah just came home from short dinner with her friends or precisely, business acquaintances. The dinner was held to form bond between the family’s company and their soon to be in-laws. The discussions were majorly about Siwon and Jessica arranged marriage. She knew she wasn’t currently in good terms with her sons however she didn’t expect to hear hideous information from one of her servant whom she specially told to watch for her son, Siwon.

“Young masters and lady were forming a birthday party for Cho Kyuhyun and they are currently having their celebration at his house. I have the pictures sent to you madam.” She checks her message and found several picture seemingly taken from the window view. Her eyes shift from her children to the happily-smiling Kyuhyun and to the petite figure that especially caught her sharp eyes.

“You said it’s only my children and him. What is one more person doing there?”

“He’s originally part of the celebration too, Cho Kyuhyun’s brother.”

Young Ah’s hand that’s holding the phone to ear trembles, her lips is thinning suppressing the rage grown within.

“I don’t need money and…I never plan to mess with your family. Not like what you did to mine.”

She takes a deep breath and hangs up the phone, and then slams the phone hard to the wall. The screen entirely shatters as it lands hard on the marble floor. The slamming sound was heard downstairs and the maids and servants gather, wondering what the sudden sound was all about, more like the sudden rage. It wasn’t all that surprising to see their madam mad. These past few days the madam wasn’t in good mood and the maids and servants are trying their utmost best not to make the situation worst.

“Honey, what’s wrong?”

Young Ah didn’t know when her husband went inside the room thus she only turns around with a sweet smile, approaching her husband and wrap her slender arms around his neck. Not forgetting to give a peck on his cheeks as a night greeting.

“I’m not in well mood these days. The phone broke not in a good timing. I think I have to buy another one.”

“You don’t have to smash the phone like that.” Her husband tilts his head at the broken phone near the wall.

“Hm.” Young Ah stares at his husband’s features and admires them. Even though they’re in their mid 40’s, age doesn’t seem to consume them. They don’t look much different from their college days. “How’s work?”

“It’s good as usual. I don’t see the children.”

“They’re out for a useless birthday party.” Young Ah rolled her eyes and put her husband’s bag on the bed. The children were always his first priority. “They should be back by now it’s almost late!”

“Let them be. Heechul is with them, they’re going to be okay. We barely celebrate their birthdays properly. It’s not wrong for them to attend one, even though it’s not really their party.” Hearing that made Young Ah’s blood boils yet she still manage to plaster them with her sweet smile.

“Alright, if you say so.”

“You’re not the one whose working but you look really worn out. You sure you okay?”

“Yes, I’m okay.” Young Ah assured her husband, “If you’re really worried about me…Can I have a hug?”

“Of course.” Her husband then welcomes her in his embrace. “Anything for my wife.”

“Anything?”

“Yes.”

“Do you love me Jaehwan?”

“Yes, you’re my wife.” Jaehwan release the hug and search something in her eyes. “What’s wrong with you today? It’s not so like you asking that kind of stuff.”

“No, don’t mind me.”

“…”

Young Ah buried her face in his chest.

“I love you very much, honey. For whatever might happen I’d like us to stay together.