014

Passerby

“That’s not how you do a necktie.”

 

Kyuhyun grunts and let Minho who complained the way he did the necktie to do it for him the opposite way. Might sound strange but he couldn’t do necktie yet could do it for other people. “How do you think we look?” He mumbles, eyes looking nervous sneaking over to his own reflection. Earlier he didn’t know they were supposed to wear suits until Minho told him. Sooyoung wanted them to dress white since they are her best friends and they might look suitably different and ideal amongst her guests and relatives.      

“Didn’t you saw it yourself?” 

Minho said as he finished doing the necktie and look at his own reflection. “I thought white doesn’t really suit me but I guess Sooyoung seen a different thing there. Don’t worry about looking bad. The white suit fits you well Kyuhyun. I’m sure…Sooyoung will be very happy to see you again.”

Kyuhyun bit his lower lips as he averted his gaze from the mirror and sit on the corner of the bed, massaging the bridge of his nose. He shouldn’t be nervous like this. His palms are sweating and his heart is racing as if something was running after him. He wasn’t sure however, he thought that feeling came when he subconsciously expects something impossible to appear at Sooyoung’s wedding.

Get a grip Cho Kyuhyun, he thought. Siwon wouldn’t be there. “He won’t be there.” He murmurs before mentally repeats those words until his lips formed a forced smile, standing up and straighten his white suit. 

“Let’s go.” 

On their way to the wedding Kyuhyun listened to all Minho’s talk about a few things that he sadly couldn’t comprehend very well, especially on that marketing stuff that he knew the boy loves a lot. Alas, Kyuhyun listened attentively and try to take things to brighten up the conversation. It was almost like Minho knew how to distract Kyuhyun from thinking further of what to expect during the wedding. 

It took almost half an hour to arrive there. The car halts near the building and both got off from the car. They take their steps towards the small house-like building while admiring their beautiful surroundings. Kyuhyun takes his time to slow his steps as he is mesmerized by the breathtaking view of the spring season. The cherry blossom always look sweet and calming in his eyes and he felt like he could stay there all day whilst watching hundreds of them descends per second.

“What are you waiting for?” Minho said from afar. “Let’s go inside.”

Kyuhyun follows and hastily steps inside the building before he’s fully absorbed by the view again. To his disclosure, there weren’t many people yet. He glances at his watch and found out they are an hour earlier. Looking around he spots unfamiliar faces. His friends and classmates aren’t even there yet. The early ones are possibly Sooyoung’s relatives and some workers who were assigned of the preparation for the wedding ceremony. Everything is completely white which reminds him of Sooyoung’s special affection for white.

“Cho Kyuhyun?” The familiar voice calling his name from afar made Kyuhyun turn around, the next thing he knew he’s already hugging his long time best friend, Shim Changmin. He almost can’t breathe when the guy gave him a really tight embrace, squeezing him as if squeezing a soft boneless giant teddy bear. “Is this really you?” 

“Chang…” Kyuhyun chuckled between his chokes, “Aish… Why does everyone really like giving me tight hugs- I can’t breathe for god sake!”

“Oh, I’m sorry!” Changmin released the hug, “It’s been a while, buddy. I’m glad to see you looking well.”

Kyuhyun smiles and playfully fist his friend’s chest, “You too. Where’s Vic? I didn’t see her…”

“Vic headed straight to the dressing room to meet Sooyoung.” Changmin shrugs as he smiles, “She told me she missed you so much and really like to see you but she can’t really wait to see Sooyoung. Girls and their things, you know. They haven’t changed a bit!”

“I heard you’re going to have your first child.” 

“Minho told you? I thought I’d better tell you officially.” 

Kyuhyun only smiled and looked at Changmin with anticipation. 

“Yes, we’re having our first child soon.”

“Congrats, Chang.” Kyuhyun didn’t remove his sweet smile. “I’m happy for you. You’re going to be a father soon!” 

They take their seat at the garden where Sooyoung will likely make vows to her love one. The short talk become a long one and more from their circle join in for the talk. It was more like a high school reunion than attending friend’s wedding ceremony. Kyuhyun was glad he could be there meeting his friends again after a while hiding from his own traces, he thought they would get mad at him for leaving without a word. But to his ease it’s the exact opposite. No words of the past were brought up and it’s more than enough for Kyuhyun not to feel bad.

“You didn’t bring your brother along?”

“He’s busy.” Kyuhyun presented the white lie. Ryeowook doesn’t even know he’s visiting Seoul. It wouldn’t be a good idea either if Ryeowook knows. No excuses would work to change the man’s mind and let the boy roam around at their hometown, even if Kyuhyun had a place to stay. The older is awfully overprotective of him. Countless things happened at Seoul that changed almost everything. They could pretend nothing ever happened but the traces are still there, fresh and evident as if waiting for someone to find them.

Everyone gather in their seats as they were told the wedding ceremony will start soon. Kyuhyun sat there waiting to see Sooyoung and her soon-to-be husband. It happened quite fast than he expected or perhaps because he was drowned in his thoughts, staring blankly on the grass. He snaps his head towards familiar yet happy voice that called his name. From that he could hear everyone’s endless clapping and cheer. “Sooyoung ah!”

“Kyuhyun oppa!” Sooyoung mouthed, waving at him in excitement. Her arms are linked with her now husband who turned out to be Kyungho, the senior who he had fought with during high school.

“Surprised?” Minho said beside him.

Kyuhyun nods but smirked, “Can’t lie about that, but I always know he had his eyes on her.” 

“Oh? How?” Changmin joined. 

“He always talked about her during our toilet cleaning.”

“Gosh… So adorable aren’t they?” Victoria commented and Kyuhyun agreed. “People are getting divorce nowadays, but I bet Sooyoung and Kyungho sunbae are ready to face the challenged ahead so I wish them a long last. Grow old, have their kids and grandkids to watch them till their last breath.” 

“Look whose getting sentimental here.” Changmin teased, leaning closer to his wife. “Mood swings?” 

Victoria nudged Changmin away, earning a chuckle from Kyuhyun. “Shut up.”

Suddenly his phone rang. After looking at the caller he sighed. Anxiety grew and he excused himself, walking outside the building. The sight of the cherry blossom caught him again but it wasn’t the time to get drowned by it.

“Hyung.” 

What are you doing now?” 

“Partying with friends.” Kyuhyun said with guilt, another lie that was.

Oh. When are you coming home?” 

“Next two days.” 

Alright. Have fun.

Kyuhyun hung up the call, sighing. He suddenly heard a loud cheers behind. Smiling, something expected must’ve happened back there. He had the urge to return back to his friends when he saw two figures walking towards him. Trying to ignore what’s ahead, he tried turning around however his body didn’t seem to cooperate. No matter how he’d like to pretend not knowing them he can’t. 

Standing still frozen his eyes only glued to one person he longed to see. 

Their eyes met. Siwon seemed looking surprised to see the other before him.

The two stopped walking just a few steps from Kyuhyun and Heechul pat the latter on the shoulder.

“You’re here.”

Kyuhyun nodded, trying hard not to steal glances at Siwon while he knows the other had been staring the moment they realized each other’s presence. 

“I think we’re late. What are you doing outside?”

“Got a call.” Kyuhyun said, trying to sound casual. “The ceremony started not long ago but I think it's almost finished. Everyone’s still congratulating Sooyoung inside though.”

“Okay then. We’re going.” Heechul signals Siwon to follow him but he stood still before Kyuhyun. 

“I’ll catch up later hyung.”

“Hmm.” Heechul smirked and waved at the two before going inside. 

They stood in front of each other, at the same time creating unbearable silence that suffocates both. Siwon wanted to speak but words are stuck between his throats. Kyuhyun may be nervous now, after everything that happened a few months ago but he couldn’t help to smile at how Siwon currently look. Siwon looked healthy and well, that was what matters most. Kyuhyun noticed Siwon gained a healthy weight and didn’t look as pale and skinny as before. He was also walking normally as if the car accident never happened. 

“Mind if we take a walk?”

Kyuhyun had imagined the day he would meet Siwon. Whatever kind of situation they would be in and if Siwon wanted to know everything, he already prepared the answers.

“Sure.”

They walked side by side with proper distance between them. Kyuhyun spotted a white bench under the cherry blossom tree and took a sit there. Siwon followed and once again both were drowned by the silence they created. When the rustling could be heard no more, one of them decide to break the silence. 

“It’s good to see you well, Siwon.”

“…”

“It’s been a while. I honestly don’t know where to start but you can ask me anything you’d like to know. From the beginning until the end, I will answer everything.” Kyuhyun said, not looking away from the petals scattered on the ground. 

“I know you weren’t just a normal passerby. You were more than that to me. We know each other, didn’t we? Even before the accident?"  Siwon started with his voice calm and soft as the wind. Kyuhyun at once turn his head at him, surprised. “I found out when Heechul hyung mentioned your name. He also said I left for Incheon to meet you but on that evening I got an accident.”

“…”

“I don’t know why you created such misunderstanding during my treatment. I believe there’s a reason of your doing however I won’t ask for it. I don’t think knowing it would help me.” Siwon let’s out a small sad smile, “I have a feeling it might just… Distraught me from getting better.”

Kyuhyun secretly lets out a relief smile and stood from his seat, walking a few distance away and tip toeing taking the cherry blossom flower. He inhaled its beautiful scent as he’s attempting not to drown by Siwon’s presence. What he did was unnecessary but it’s effective enough to distract him. 

“Not even a question then?” Kyuhyun said without taking a glance. It wasn’t like he expected one or two.

“Then…Would you mind answering if there’s one?” 

“Yes.” Kyuhyun said almost confidently.

“How close are we?” 

Didn’t expect the question, Kyuhyun abruptly turn around only to see Siwon had been staring at him. Did he hear that right? He could feel his heart suddenly accelerate out of will.

“Sorry?”

“Since we knew each other before the accident, how close are we?” Siwon repeated the question. “Are we childhood friends? Close friends or high school friends?”

Kyuhyun wanted to speak up but the words in his head are jumbling and he somehow couldn’t put them into proper sentence. They are stuck, to his dismay and he always hated that part of himself. He only blinked several times while Siwon didn’t bother to remove his gaze from him.

“Are we lovers?” 

Kyuhyun was sure he was prepared for that one. He then heaves a sincere smile, too genuine and beautiful too as the clear sky above that it somehow taken aback Siwon.

“We were lovers.”