Past Chapter 07

Passerby

Siwon departed from Kyuhyun when the boy reaches his bus stop arrival. Kyuhyun hardly left him alone as he wants to accompany Siwon just a little bit longer since he’s still worried of his state however Siwon refused with gratitude, saying that it was okay to leave him as he doesn’t want Kyuhyun to be late.

Even when the boy’s presence was not there anymore, the feeling of the two minutes Kyuhyun gave him has yet disappeared. It was peculiarly comfortable. It’s as if the warmth Siwon has been looking for is within Kyuhyun which he couldn’t comprehend any further. He realized he was thinking too much of his father’s condition as his father is currently being treated in hospital sleeping soundly in coma with the doctor couldn’t predict when his father will regains consciousness.

The bus finally stops and Siwon head off from it. As if someone just skips a scene from a movie, Siwon is now seated on his desk in his class yet the sentiment of eyes upon him is something he could ever shun. For the day some students showered Siwon with questions regarding his father’s accident and condition which doesn’t make him feel any better. Despite of that, he answers them simply and short. He decides tranquility might as well help him to continue the day awaiting the time he could reach the bus and meets his friend no other than Kyuhyun again.

The school utterly ends fast within Siwon’s expectation. As he walks out from the school gate, a familiarly girl with her high school uniform stood there waving at him with black car waiting behind.

“Oppa!” Jessica said in thrill as she approached Siwon and linked her arms with his. “Just in time! I’m planning to pay father a visit! Let’s go together!” She never intends to erase the smile from her face even though she realized many students are staring.

“I’m going alone.” Siwon said as he remove Jessica’s arm from his. “Go without me.”

“You’re going alone?” Jessica pouted and looks everywhere, linking her arms with his again. “Where’s your driver? I’ll wait for your driver to arrive and fetch you! If he takes too long you’ll go with me! Okay? Okay?” Siwon didn’t reply, instead he pulls Jessica towards the black car and push her inside. Siwon knocks on the window and the driver then slides it down for him.

“Oppa!” Jessica whines.

“Park ahjussi, please take her home safely. Good work for today. ” Siwon said and the driver nod with a smile. The car then drives off shortly before Jessica gets to open the door and persuade Siwon again.

“Tch! Ahjussi!” Jessica whines, “Why did you do it?! He’s alone out there and he’s going alone! Well, he has a driver I know but…You should’ve given me a chance to wait with him! Turn around now! Turn around! ”

“Madam is—“

“I know, I know! Always the same reason…” Jessica pouted, “Ahjussi, you used to be working under his family during my primary school days…But now you’re working under my family, try not to listen and obey much of his words. This has nothing to do with me liking him, alright? But really…I’m offended, really.” Jessica scoffed as she’s displeased.

“I apologize that my action has displeased you, young lady.”

Jessica looked at him, dissatisfied. “You should learn more of your place…”

 

 

“Oh? You’re here?” Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows while Siwon just looked at him. What made the boy to say that? Both used to seat oppositely from side to side near the window, but since they build their friendship the boys had been seating side by side. Sometimes Kyuhyun would be the one to occupy the window side, sometimes Siwon would be the one to. “Jessica told me she’s fetching you.”

“She did?” Siwon says and Kyuhyun nod, staring at Siwon curiously like a kid who had seen something they’ve never seen before. “What?”

“Nothing.” Kyuhyun smiled in relief and then playfully looked at Siwon curiously again. “She didn’t fetch you? Really?” This made Siwon to half smile and challenged him back.

“Yes, she did.”

“But why are you here then?” Kyuhyun said and Siwon shut him up by pulling his nose, making the boy yelped. Siwon doesn’t want Kyuhyun to know the reason why he refuse Jessica’s offer. It was because he wants to be with his friend. “Yah! What did you do that for?! Kyuhyun rubbed his nose. “What if my nose fell off…” The statement made Siwon accidentally laugh softly. Siwon wondered, what in the world that made him to meet such ridiculous boy?

Kyuhyun gasped, “You laughed…”

“So …what?” Siwon coughed as he glances at Kyuhyun. “You…You asked too much.”

“Did I? I’m glad I did, do it once more!” Kyuhyun said in anticipation. Siwon couldn’t help but to chuckle again because of Kyuhyun’s childish behavior. “Do it once more!”

“Do you want your nose to fall off?” As Siwon said that, Kyuhyun in hurry covered up his nose with his palm.

Kyuhyun then uncovered his nose, “But …You’re like this, now I know you’re all right. ” Siwon looked at the Kyuhyun who’s now smiling sincerely. So he did that just to know whether or not he feels better? Siwon tried to hide his contentment but he should’ve caught that earlier.

“You shouldn’t be so kind to someone you barely know.”

“You’re right.” Kyuhyun nods, “But I can’t change the fact that you’ve been so kind to me all the time and yes, I barely know anything about you. Let’s get to know each other well then! My favorite food is kimchi fried rice, my favorite color are black, white and blue. I like animals but I’m not fond of keeping them as pet. My hobbies are singing and playing games and I don’t like insects. Now your turn, what’s your favorite food? What’s your favorite color? What’s your favorite animal? What are your hobbies and your dislikes?”

Siwon was taken aback by Kyuhyun’s childishness but apart from that, he somehow finds it adorable. Realizing what he’s thinking of Kyuhyun he looks away to the window, adorable? He mentally slaps himself, what was he thinking? But still, he couldn’t deny it. “Like a kid, you talk too much… How old are you?”

“I’m 17.” Kyuhyun said naively. “You? But aren’t we the same age? We look like one though… Hmm…let us see who’s the older one here is by months!” Kyuhyun smirked, “I was born on third of February. You?”

“Seventh of April—“

“I’m older than you by two months!!” Kyuhyun yelled too loud that he received stares from passengers. He stands and apologizes while Siwon secretly laughed at him. He then sits again, “You should call me hyung then.”

“You’re really noisy…” Siwon says. The bus stops nearby the hospital where Siwon’s father is treated. Siwon stands, ready to leave the bus but before he do, he could feel his uniform tugged.

“You’re leaving?”

“I have to go somewhere.”

“Oh…” Siwon did not fail to notice the disappointment tone from Kyuhyun.

Giving Kyuhyun the reassure smile, he then ruffles the boy’s hair, “See you tomorrow?”

Kyuhyun nods, “Right…See you tomorrow.”

Siwon left the bus and he watches the bus left before he walk to the hospital. His smile got wider on his way there. Siwon wonders if Kyuhyun ever realize that the blush on his face didn’t go unnoticed by him.

The clock ticks endlessly as its ticking surrounds the cold room. Heechul was seated beside her sister as he peels the apple. The thought of the accident was still on his mind, sticking like a leech. No matter how much he wants to let go of what ifs he couldn’t. Siwon was right, he is the oldest among his siblings and he should think more mature. Staring deeply with concern at his father’s coma figure, he finally sighed and put down the knife he’s holding. Nudging his sister whose busy staring at the space, he smiled at her when he offered her the apple he peeled just a while ago.

“Thanks oppa.” Jiwon said as she took a bite of the rabbit shaped apple.

“Anything for my sister.” Heechul said, caressing his sister’s soft hair. “Everything’s going to be okay, father will wake up soon. I’m sure of that.”

“But…Chulie oppa,” Jiwon called with the special nickname she gave for her brother. “Where’s Siwon oppa? He should be home…I mean here by now isn’t it? Is he not going to visit father? Could it be that Siwon oppa still mad at you?” She pouts, “I don’t want my brothers to fight…”

Suddenly the room’s sliding door got opened, revealing Jessica who has a bouquet of flowers on her arms. Heechul wasn’t surprised of her visiting as he expected Jessica to visit their father.

“What are you doing here?”

“Visiting father of course.” Jessica answered coolly.

Heechul scoffed, murmuring. “Who do you just call father…”

“Oh! Unnie! You’re visiting father?” Jiwon smiled as she approached Jessica and took the bouquet of flowers in her arms. “Thank you unnie for the flowers, they are lovely.”

Jessica glared at Heechul before smiling back at Jiwon and gives her a reassuring hug. “Anything for you Jiwonnie… I’m sorry that these happened. Where’s mother?”

“Mommy is fetching grandmother.” Jiwon said, “She will be here soon.”

Heechul never bothers to take any glances on how they sweetly interact. He just sat there, continue to peel the apple. His ears are burning of Jessica’s amiably yet disgusting phrases. Some could say they were childhood friends but he and Jessica barely get a long with each other. It wasn’t because he never gets along with her, everything changed after the incident between Jessica and her friend. Heechul’s awareness of Jessica liking his brother so much is something he always noticed and couldn’t avoid.

It all starts when she was sitting in her Junior High School. In simple words, Jessica likes Siwon to the point of putting someone to catastrophe and that someone is no other than her own best friend.

 

“I know you will never understand me…Not even until I’m dead! I’m doing these because I love Siwon oppa. What do you even know about my feelings?”

“Love? Yeah right, love. What do you even understand about it?” Heechul spats. “That’s not love… that’s obsession.”

 

Jessica’s family and his family are like one family. No one believes him when he confessed her wrongdoings.

“Siwon oppa!” The sound of Jiwon calling Siwon’s name woke Heechul from his deep thoughts. Siwon stood there smiling at his sister before spinning her around, making the girl’s giggle fill the room. The atmosphere got a little bit better and Heechul got to thank Siwon and Jiwon later for that. Just as Siwon approached and take a look at his father, Heechul rose from his seat and stand beside his brother.

“Siwon ah…How’s… school?”

“Fine…” Siwon simply said as he holds his father’s hand.

“I realized my mistake. I’m sorry for what I had said—“

“I already forgive you hyung.” Siwon said, “Even before you realized your mistake.”

“Is that so…” Heechul said, “You have a big heart yet you’re still hiding yourself from the world.”

“Doesn’t that what made me to have a big heart?” Siwon said, half smiling. “Father has no improvements?”

“Has yet no improvements.”

“Hyung.” Siwon freezes. “I think father just shifted his hands. I felt it.”

“What?” Heechul widened his eyes. First he couldn’t believe what his brother said until he saw his father’s eyes opening little by little. In panic state he called anyone there to call the nurse and the doctor.

“Father!” Heechul had tears in his yes. “Father! You’re awake! Can you hear me? Father?”

“Seo…” His father called in his breath.

“Hyung…” Siwon looked at his brother in concern with questions. But for Heechul nothing else matters when their father finally awake.