Past Chapter 23

Passerby

I had a past…

With this stranger?

“This picture,” Eunhyuk smiled, despite sadness begins rushing through him, “Is taken by your mother.”

Kyuhyun straighten up at the mention of the word mother directed at him.

“I first met you when I was hiking at the mountain with my father when I found you sitting alone at the resting place. It was a cold day. I had to catch up to my father so I didn’t approach you. But when we came back down you were still there.”

Young Eunhyuk draped his spare jacket around the small boy. “Listen…When the night comes, this place will be very cold! Aren’t you feeling cold? Are you sure you want to stay here longer?”

Kyuhyun grinned despite his whole body is shivering. “My dad…will come soon. I have to wait for him. I have to…”

Eunhyuk convinced his father to wait for the boy’s father to come. An hour becomes two and the night falls, when the area becoming so cold that every breath they take feels stinging cold. Eunhyuk’s father looked at the boy in concern,

“Kyuhyun, do you know how we can contact your parents?”

Kyuhyun tilt his head before fishing out something in his pocket, then giving it to them.

“Mommy!”

“Your father never returned. I came on a conclusion that you were abandoned. I insisted that we take you with us, instead of leaving you there. We managed to bring you back home safely, thanks to the note you kept made by your mother. On our way, you became my friend. Not only we returned a lost boy, but unexpectedly my father got to meet his high school friend who he hasn’t seen for five years – that is, your mother. Our houses weren’t that far so from the day after that, I often came by to your house and spend my time there with you. Your mother… Cho Seojin...She was a genuine and strong person. She treated me like her real son. I…admire her a lot.”

The things the man told him felt surreal. It softens him, knowing that at least aside from his auntie and brother, there are people who knows and remembers what kind of person his mother was. However, his father left him in the mountain and abandoned him? Frankly, now that he knows his father isn’t so far away and he could see him anytime, he doesn’t want to know the reason.

Because even by knowing it won’t bring any justice as to why the man left his mother for another woman, who is his lover’s mother.

“Sorry I can’t remember but…” His lips paint a sincere smile, one that caught the other off guard for some reason. “Thank you, for remembering my mother. It’s been a while since her passing. It honestly took a toll on me. I guess I’m still not really used to her absence.”

Eunhyuk could see, beneath that smile lays an indescribable sadness.

“This still feels strange, suddenly meeting a childhood friend that I can’t remember.”

“If I wake up with someone telling me we had some history, honestly I’d feel uncomfortable.” Eunhyuk paused, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly, “Are you…?”

Kyuhyun nods, “At first. I won’t believe it if you only showed me that picture without telling me how you met me or how you knew my mother. Your name…?”

“Lee Eunhyuk.”

Kyuhyun slowly repeated that name until he decides what to call the other with.

“Just Eunhyuk is okay.”

.The man may be a few years older than him. Is it really alright to call him so casually?

“Eunhyuk.”

“That’s better.”

In midst of the conversation the doctor and nurse came to check on Kyuhyun. Coincidentally Kyuhyun recognize the nurse. She was the one who check on him the last time he was admitted due to falling off from the stairs. He greet her with only a smile which she did the same. Since no complaints are said, Kyuhyun requested for a discharge since he no longer want to stay in the medicine-scented building.

“Your mother… left something in my family for you.” Eunhyuk turns to his phone again. After some swiping on the small screen he hands the phone to his childhood friend. Kyuhyun carefully takes the phone and lands his attention to what it looks like an important looking webpage. Scroll after scrolls as he reads the page taking his time, it took him a while to understand what the site is all about. “She trusted my family to take care of it.”

“This is…”

“Navvy, beauty company. Twenty-three years ago your mother passed that company to my family with a reason she’s in a state of not having the ability to take care for it anymore. It can be said it almost went bankrupt and a certain company attempted to acquire it. Thankfully it was in our hand before it completely went a waste.” Eunhyuk explained gently while Kyuhyun still couldn’t find a word to say since this is a surprise for him. “My parents were asked in favor let you know about this once you’re grown enough.”

Not once in a lifetime Kyuhyun ever thought his mother left something like this. Does his brother know? He never heard him mentioning anything about that company.

That means the man doesn’t know or, probably acted clueless.

Just like how he acted as if he doesn’t have any relation to the Choi family at all. No matter how Kyuhyun tries to deny it, it’s still the reality. His brother deserved an award for the best actor of the year. How could his only brother do it? Out of all lies, why now? Why wasn’t he told earlier about his biological father, right before he met Siwon?

Why is his brother hiding all these?

What about his future with Siwon? How will he face his lover who he loves so much? Who he promises with, to spend more of their time together in future as they grow?

“Navvy is… famous for their skin care, right?”

Eunhyuk raise his eyebrows and smiles. “You know!”

“My friend told me about it when I accompanied her shopping. I never knew it was my mother’s. She must’ve loved the company to her heart that she gave it to the people she trust. It’s good to know it’s been taken care of. It became a successful company because it’s in your family’s care.” Kyuhyun smiled as tears are forming of the mixed emotions he’s feeling. “Thank you.”

Knock knock.

Their attention is shifted to the girl standing by the door. “What are you guys talking quietly there? Am I disturbing something?” The two male looking at each other briefly before shifting back to her again. Jessica makes her steps toward Kyuhyun then hand a plastic bag that has a small box of food. “I don’t know what you like but this is what I like so I bought dumplings. Have your breakfast before you discharge.”

“O-oh.” Kyuhyun is taken aback by her hospitality. He likes dumpling even though he barely have it at home or outside. She seemed sincere, compared to the Jessica he knew at school. Does she have a split personality or something? “Thanks.”

Jessica glances at Eunhyuk, “I bought the same, is that fine?”

“Fillings?” Eunhyuk asked when he peek at the bag. It smells like seafood but he could be wrong since he has that allergy.

“Seafood.” Jessica said plainly taking the chopsticks out from the bag while preparing it for her classmate. Eunhyuk lips turn to straight line and with a sigh he places the bag on the table. Too bad he can’t eat them. Who doesn’t like dumplings? “I didn’t know dumpling isn’t your taste.”

“It’s not that. I don’t like seafood.”

“Oh… My lucky day then. It’s mine.”

Eunhyuk rolled his eyes.

“Finish as much as you can Kyuhyun. No hurry, alright?” Jessica reminds, handing him a cup of water so he won’t choke before he start eating.

“You guys…know each other?” Kyuhyun started asking since the two of them seem to talk too casual for strangers.

“Jessica’s family and mine are business partners.” Eunhyuk answered and Kyuhyun quickly avert his eyes.

Is it a mere coincidence that the people he crossed path with know Jessica?

“How are you feeling now, better?” Jessica asked.

Mentally? Absolutely not fine. His mind is currently clouded with Siwon. Anxiety is distracting, nearly drifting himself from rationality. Physically? Yes, much better than earlier when he just wakes up, though his body aches a bit.

“Better.”

“Did you guys get along while I’m not here?”

Kyuhyun swallowed his food before replying. Staring straight he could see Eunhyuk shaking his head as if preventing him from saying what they talked about.

“He’s a bully. Is he mean?” Jessica said.

“Ah, not me after the diva. You really think everyone’s a bully.” Eunhyuk said in disbelieve.

“Let him think of me as whatever he wants. I don’t like him anyway. He’s a bothersome who likes to into people’s business.” Jessica said as she crossed her arms.

“I’m just kidding. You should be glad to have him around. He’d do anything to someone who is important to him.” Eunhyuk defended his same-age cousin.

“Beats me!”

 

“Is this all I need to sign?”

“Yes sir.”

Jaehwan proceed to sign the paper from the folder. Once done, he closed it when suddenly he remembered something. “Is Mr. Park not back yet?” He asked one of his employees who temporarily took the place of Jungsoo in the meantime until he’s back.

“We haven’t seen him anywhere around the office today.”

Jaehwan nod, and with a small smile he tells the man to go. Just as the doors about to close, out of blue Jungsoo rushed inside, looking as if he just went for a marathon since he’s almost out of breath. He fished out a flash disk out from his coat’s pocket and hand it to the CEO. It was quite a rude one but he had to do it for the sake of bailing out Ryeowook. He will do what it takes to have the younger man leave the police station.

“Please have a see, sir.”

Jaehwan looked at the flash disk in confusion.

“Ryeowook just got arrested by the police. He is charged with bribery.” Jungsoo informed, hands gripping in irritation. “I’ve been watching him like what you had told me, I know he’s not the kind of person who would take bribes from anyone. That disk…contains proof of who falsely accused him.”

Jaehwan still couldn’t believe what he heard that he can’t say anything. This is the first time that his son is brought to the police station. What’s more, because of bribery? He looks at the small item before inserting it to the laptop to see the content that Jungsoo told him. He clicks the one folder that consists of one video.

The video shows him of what looks like the family’s living room, shot by a hidden cam that is between what he could guess yet. A sight of his wife is seen walking back and forth with a phone on her ear.

“Ryeowook started this. Do whatever it takes to charge him with bribery. It’s not a heavy one. I need to give him a warning. He’s becoming bolder these days. I can’t let him stay around my family any longer. Let’s see what happen after he gets to the police station. If he doesn’t quit the company yet, target his brother.”

As soon as the screen goes black, Jaehwan sighs, rubbing his face with his hands because of the exhaustion that video gave him.

Jungsoo swear he could have just hand the evidence to the police station. It’s this one fact that drew a border from doing such – the madam is the wife of the person who he worked for almost half of his life.

“I’ll…take care of it. Go fetch Ryeowook.” Jaehwan ordered. This is not once or twice that his wife threw someone to the prison. He knew his wife is capable of doing this since she has a lot of connections. He’s been keeping his mouth shut just so his children won’t dislike their mother. But, taking his own blood and flesh to the police for something that they never done is crossing the line. “One more thing…Don’t…report my wife.”

Jungsoo glances to the side. Half of him is disappointed with his boss, yet he is not capable to do any other than do what he’s just told. “Alright, sir.”

“What about Kyuhyun, have you found him?”

“So far, no.”

“Hurry. We can’t let him get involved in this. That child knows nothing. He should stay as he is.”

It’s easier said than done. None knows what’s ahead but assumptions are always inevitably made. Secrets are bound to be revealed, just like how Kyuhyun is bound to know his roots.

It took Jungsoo a while to arrive at the police station due to the traffic. Before he gets inside he saw Ryeowook already walking out of the building looking spaced out. He approaches and takes him by the arm, then walks him to the car. The front seats are filled and no words are said as Jungsoo is waiting for Ryeowook to wears off the tension in him.

“Your father got you out. This is another of Madam’s doing.”

Ryeowook closed his eyes as he sighs, “She must’ve started this because she still thinks I was the one who give the tip. This makes me wonder who really did it. I bet it must be someone who has something against the Choi Group.”

“She did this to warn you. Thankfully your father was quick enough to take action once I informed him. I hate to say this but she’s going to target Kyuhyun if you don’t plan to quit the company sooner. I think you made the right decision.”

Ryeowook quickly turns to him. The mention of his brother is alerting. “What does Kyuhyun have something to do with this?!!” As anger within him is quickly rising, he cursed under his breath. “That wench…How dare she…?!”

“As long as Kyuhyun is still together with Siwon…I’m afraid Madam won’t let her attention off from him. She never regards their relationship in the first place. He could be her alternative to bring you down because she knows he’s your weakness. We should hurry find him and tell everything before it’s too late.”

 

So far the drive towards Kyuhyun house is going smoothly.

A ringtone is heard from the front seat. Eunhyuk connects the call to the wireless earpiece. After a few seconds listening to the one behind the call he scoffed. “What a great greeting from someone I haven’t seen in a while. Sitting in such high position…. How do you like it there? Are the people good to you?”

Curiosity crept in, Jessica poke him and soundlessly asks who it is.

“Diva.” Eunhyuk mouthed. It made Jessica rolled her eyes. “Wait…what? You just saw my car? I’m not at…Seoul. Anyway I’m busy now. Bye!” The call ends, his lips turning to straight line.

“He really saw this car?”

“Worse. He’s actually behind us.” Eunhyuk immediately make a turn contradict to the destination and dash off towards the yellow traffic light, passing to the other side of the road. From the rear mirror he saw the silver car stopped. He smiled in victory then making another sharp turn back to where they’re heading. The sudden turn and car dash kick Kyuhyun off from his thoughts. He straightens from his seat while glancing at the two people before him.

“Is everything okay?”

“We’re being chased.” The only girl in the car said bluntly.

“We’re not!” The oldest of them chuckled. “No one should know that I’m back to Seoul but earlier my cousin told me he saw this car. He was behind us. If I meet him now he’ll demand I have to go back to my position at the office since he’s currently taking care of it for me. I can’t go back now. I still have a few things to do left.”

“Oppa. You’re telling him all that? I left you guys for not more than an hour…You guys got a long pretty well.” It’s not doubt Jessica is impressed. She may not know Eunhyuk well, but she always knew the man has a trust issues.

Kyuhyun exchanged no more words with them until he arrived home. Jessica waved a goodbye at him with that flash of her sweet smile while his childhood friend gave a small smile a nod. He didn’t offer them to go inside and have some tea like what he did to other guests. As for right now his mind is crowned with everything that happened from yesterday. Standing beside the wall near the kitchen he let his body slide down to the cold wooden floor.

It’s physically and mentally exhausting.

Kyuhyun clench his jaw as he fist the floor with his knuckle. Thud, thud, thud. One after another until his hand feels numb, until the tears waiting to fall soon blurred his eyes.

He had no idea how long he’s been crying his heart out but the phone in his pocket suddenly vibrates indicating a phone call. He pressed answer without bothering to see the caller.

“Hey.”

It might take him a while to call his childhood friend by name, like what he is told to, since the other is older than him.

“I’m wondering whether we can have a meal next week with my family. If you’re not busy and…If you’d like.”

Kyuhyun was silent for a moment before he actually makes up his mind. “Sure. Please text me the address.”

Another silence fills the call. “Is…everything alright?”

“Yeah.”

“If… you need help or anything please don’t hesitate to call, whatever that is.”

The call was hung up when Eunhyuk wanted to speak further. He slumps to his sofa, staring at the white ceiling of his apartment, at the same time wondering whether Kyuhyun is already feeling better. That voice he heard on the phone… was Kyuhyun crying? It’s only been a day since they reunited. Seeing him hurting like that was the least he wanted to see.

The sound of the front door getting unlocked is heard. Knowing who it may be, he bothers not moving an inch.

“K-Kyuhyun?” He heard his brother calling in trembling voice. It didn’t take a second to feel his brother’s tight embrace. “Thank goodness you’re back! What happen? Where have you been? We’ve been searching for you everywhere!”

Forcing out a smile, Kyuhyun gently pat his brother’s back then quickly remove their hug. He supposed to feel warmth from it, yet why does it feel cold? At this moment even having eye contact with him is tough. He wanted to confront his brother right away. Unfortunately, those words of confrontation are stuck in his throat. Ryeowook cup his brother’s cheeks. As tears begin streaming down his face, he ducks his head in a heavy sigh. “I thought I lost you…”

Kyuhyun glance at the door as he caught Jungsoo walking inside. He instinctively tensed when their eyes are fixated with one another. Wariness made the mask he’s wearing accidentally falls off, revealing the dark yet sad gaze in disguise of his grimace. He hurriedly smiles and greets the man in friendly manner, as he should.

There’s no doubt, the man knows everything too.

The cold look didn’t go unnoticed by Jungsoo. It was the first time he sees the boy looking like that. What happened in one night? Who knows, surely it is bound to be found out soon.

The brothers decided not to confront each other.

Ryeowook is certain it’s best to tell everything once his brother graduates. Kyuhyun on the other side chose not to talk about the night he knew Mr. Choi is his biological father, instead waited for his brother to speak up yet to no avail. What made him change his mind? He couldn’t have known, could he? Kyuhyun is curious, but he tried not to make it look obvious.

Between the days nothing seems out of ordinary. The text calls exchanged with Siwon continues normally even though Kyuhyun’s heart feels heavy with the weight growing painfully each seconds. No matter how much he wants to maintain this relationship, but could he, while knowing the hurtful truth?

Kyuhyun fixes himself with long black pants and turtle neck, topped with long sleeved brown plaid shirt, off of three top buttons. He checks his look one more time in the mirror while styling his hair. When he thinks it’s best to go now he head downstairs.

“Heading out?” Ryeowook is amazed at how handsome his brother looks today.

“Yeah. Not sure what time I’ll be back but…”

“Take your time. Have fun.”

Ever since that night whenever Kyuhyun wanted to go out Ryeowook no longer ask where and with whom he’s going anymore. It’s not that he mind whenever he did. From now on he needs to get used to it.

 

Once the elevator door completely opens, Jungsoo walked out towards the parking lot where he’ll meet the person he just talk to by phone. When he spotted a flashlight flickering in one of the cars, he makes an approach then gets in the front seat, immediately handed a folder.

Not wasting any time Jungsoo opens the folder that consists of pictures. Looking at them one by one, he frowns the more he dive them further.

“Apparently, vice president Lee Eunhyuk returned to Korea since last week. He stayed at a private apartment in Gangnam.” The man in black cap explained while looking at the picture as well, “While following Reporter Lee, I coincidentally caught him meeting the vice president’s assistant a few times. I thought it was off. Later I arranged a meeting with that reporter. It was …Shin Donghee and Lee Eunhyuk who gave the tip. It didn’t take me long to have him spill everything. At first glance I really thought he’s a loyal one.”

This is unexpected. Who knew the one hiding behind the bushes was actually the close one? Out of all people, Lee Eunhyuk – The nephew of the man he’s working for, known to not give a damn for things that are not in his circle – is involved?

But…Why and what is he to be related to this?

The office room is cold, yet not as cold as the news the two siblings are going to hear. Ryeowook usher Jungsoo to sit beside him, facing the crossed leg Heechul who is holding a cup of cold hibiscus tea in his hand.

Silence instantly crowns the room when Jungsoo spills what he found out today.

Heechul still couldn’t believe it. He goes over the pictures of his cousin going in and out of an apartment he never knew about and the picture of assistant Shin meeting the country’s well known reporter. “H-how is he involved?” What is his cousin doing? Why is he trying to let others know that Ryeowook is the first son?

Jungsoo turns to Ryeowook who is looking down on his lap biting his lower lip. Concern grew in him.

“Could he purposely want to taint the company?” Jungsoo distracts, resulting Heechul to slam the pictures to the table that they scatter around the floor.

“As much as he’s quite stubborn, there’s no way he would do that.” Heechul exclaimed. “Father trusted him with this position. There’s no way he’s doing this to him.”

“Then why did they give that tip?” Jungsoo strikes back. This is not the time to be reluctant to state his mind because of Heechul’s high position. “Could you state a possible reason? Blurred pictures of Ryeowook are on the news. Those who are desperate to know the truth may do anything to get what they want!”

Tch, he’s right. Heechul clench his jaw as he couldn’t think of a perfect reason for his cousin’s doing. Letting ones guard down is not a choice since there are proofs that could lead people to investigate further – the pictures, and the neighborhood that consists of people who are the witness of his father’s first marriage.

 

The two unfamiliar adults – who Eunhyuk introduced to Kyuhyun as his parents greeted him with warm words. The excitement in their tone speaks a lot to their anticipation of meeting the once little boy, son of their late friend. In midst of the talks in the living room Eunhyuk reminds Kyuhyun to make himself at home. His parents show love towards Kyuhyun even though it’s been a long time since they see him. Their kindness touched Kyuhyun’s heart that he’s starting to feel a great comfort.

Surprisingly, they treat him like their own son.

After lunch Eunhyuk offered his childhood friend for a house tour. There’s not much to explore, but he wanted Kyuhyun to remember that they used to play around this house when they were little.

“Ever since your first visit, my parents told your mother to have you stay here while she’s working.” Eunhyuk turns around to his childhood friend trailing behind him, “We often have meals together. Since your mother was a chef, she would often cook for us.”

Kyuhyun could imagine that. Earlier the atmosphere was lovely. It must be merrier if his mother is still here.

Heading upstairs, they then stopped by what it seems to be a longue room. There are expensive looking couches in different designs, book shelf consist of great amount of books, TV, and mini games that attracted Kyuhyun’s attention at most.

“You really liked it here.”

He looks around, admiring every spots. A small smile paints his lips. He can see why Eunhyuk said he liked this place. There’s this nostalgic and attachment feeling the moment he sees this lounge.

“You’ve been part of us, and will always be. Nothing can change that.”

The moment when Kyuhyun wanted to reply, Eunhyuk’s phone rings. Eunhyuk look at the screen to see who dares to disturb his moment with Kyuhyun. He clicks his tongue, but still gives in by pressing the green button.

“You can leave the company today. Don’t worry… I’m taking that seat again.”

Meet me now. We need to talk.”

“Take another day. I’m having an important guest now.”

“Front house.”

Eunhyuk glance at his childhood friend playing the Pac-man arcade. He tells Kyuhyun he needs to head out for a while. Kyuhyun simply said ‘yeah’ without leaving his eyes from the game screen.

Before the gate there stood his cousin with arms crossed. Eunhyuk could see that his cousin seems struggling from the recent scandal that hits his family. He forced a smile at him, before signaling the other to follow him to the garden.

They could’ve foreseen it.

Secrets won’t last long.

“Tell me honestly, what did my family ever do wrong to yours?” What Heechul said peak Eunhyuk’s amusement.

“No nice greetings? I just got back…This is what I have to hear from you?”

Not wanting to waste any time, Heechul grip his cousin’s collar. “Lee Eunhyuk! What the are you plotting against my family?! Don’t tell me you’re… planning to stab my father behind his back?”

Revealing his first son to the public would mean that I stab your father in the back, when they have a good relationship as a father and son, huh? Eunhyuk, unimpressed by the move stayed still as he laid his gaze on his fuming cousin.

What a lame catch.

“The recent scandal on my family…It’s your doing. You tipped the reporter.”

“…What made you think so?”

“Had someone tailed on you, bastard. What’s this about the first son?”

He got the bait.

Eunhyuk tilts his head, giving his cousin a look of curiosity at the same time observing that peculiar expression. They say that eyes can’t lie. What does Heechul actually want to confront? What is he worried about? The company’s image? No way. Eunhyuk knows well that Heechul won’t care a damn about that. He removes his cousin’s hard grip from his collar.

“We have a new family member.”

Young Heechul told him while they were lying on the bed about to sleep. The night was colder than usual that the young Eunhyuk had to hug the fluffy yellow blanket tighter and snuggle into his cousin’s arm.

“I thought he’s younger than me, but turns out we’re the same age. But that doesn’t mean I like him. He’s noisy, so bubbly and annoying. I don’t want him to…”

Eunhyuk is all sleepy but still wanted to be his cousin’s listener.

“I don’t want him to take father away from me.” The worries are becoming more real as it dive deep within him, making small tears appear in those eyes. Heechul clench his jaw then fist his bed sheet. The other says no more as he doesn’t want the other to cry, deciding it’s better to put his cousin to sleep by patting his stomach gently while sings him a lullaby.

A thing crossed Eunhyuk’s mind. His cousin couldn’t have forgotten about him, right?

“Do you know who he is?”

Is Heechul pretending?

Or he really doesn’t remember?

No way, so easily? Eunhyuk averts his eye from the other’s sharp gaze. After what he had done …

His cousin wouldn’t take the new family member so far away from the family’s camping site. Eunhyuk isn’t a fan of the dark night especially when it’s situated in the forest. He tried taking his steps slowly into the path he’s not sure where it’ll take him. The owl’s call made him flinch in spot, the sudden sight of crows made him shriek, but that doesn’t make him stop from calling his cousin’s name.

A rush of relieve hits him when his tired eyes finally spotted his cousin in sight but soon replaced with terror when he saw him pushing the new boy to the not-so-deep-looking river. Immediately he rushes towards his cousin and hang on his arm so he won’t slip since the ground is looking slippery.

“Yah! Are you crazy?!” Fear is growing within when he saw the boy’s hand slipped from the short tree branch, about to be washed away by the river.

“Ah – H-help! Please!!”

“Take my hand! Fast!” He reaches his hand for him when Heechul slaps his hand away.

“Leave him.”

The anger in Eunhyuk grows that he pushes his cousin hard on the chest. Heechul scoffed, but Eunhyuk careless to bother anymore. Instead he fights his fear of the fast stream, slowly dipping his legs in the water till his feet touches the wet soil and forcefully reaches the boy’s hand and pull him back from the river despite the coldness almost weakens his strength. He takes off his brown sweater, quickly draping it to the boy’s shoulder then turns to his cousin in fury.

“Wake up! This is your brother!”

“It doesn’t feel like it.”

Heechul inaudibly gasped at the flash of slap on his cheek.

“Proven or not that’ll be your father’s responsibility. If this maddens you so much you better have a talk with him, rather than becoming someone crazy enough to do something like this!”

What happened in the past was partly his fault. If he hadn’t lowered his guard down and think lightly of that boy who was a new member of the family – that surely wouldn’t happen so easily. Someone almost lost their life. Someone almost lost a brother. A mother almost lost their son. The weight of that guilt became heavier when he later found out that boy is Cho Seojin’s son.

Knowing he’ll get emotional the longer he stands before his cousin as memories flashes in his mind, he turns around to go back inside when Heechul suddenly hold him by arm.

“Let go. I’m having a guest.”

 

“Oppa! How do I look?”

Jessica spins around slowly with the white floral dress she’s trying from the branded shop. She’s already trying five beautiful clothes to show her beauty to her favorite person, though it seems that Siwon doesn’t really mind whatever clothes she will buy him later since his mind is elsewhere.

“Oppa!” The teenager called again, finally waking Siwon off from his mind.

Siwon distractedly sip on his caramel macchiato, “Hmm? Are you done?”

Jessica told the shop’s staff that she’s buying all the other five she already tried. She walks over to Siwon, crossing her arms with a pout.

“I’m very grateful that you specially spare your time for me today but you can’t ignore me like this! Is something bothering you? Even so can’t you let it off just for today? For me?”

Kyuhyun is who he’s thinking. It was the phone call he received around a week ago at night. Siwon answered the phone but all he could hear was his lover sobbing. It got him worried that he felt like rushing to Kyuhyun’s house to give him comfort. What exactly happened that day?

Siwon may never know until Kyuhyun tell him. Whenever he attempted to ask, Kyuhyun would quickly pick another topic. Deep down he knows Kyuhyun is hiding something. But that thing…what is it?

“Alright. Sorry. Wanna get some ice cream?“

In a matter of second Siwon swear he could see stars beaming in her eyes.

One cookies and cream flavor for Jessica and mint chocolate for Siwon. Both choose to have them on cup instead, rather than cone that is without doubt tastier since they bring other things in their hand. They settled at the nearest gazebo outside of the mall, a few steps away from the gate towards the parking lot.

They discuss about their finished exam week that made their brain running errands. Thankfully they no longer have to worry about that since the last thing is to graduate. Jessica suddenly shifts back to the conversation they have earlier at the clothing shop. “You’re not sharing me what’s bothering you?”

“It has nothing to do with you.”

“That may have nothing to do with me but at least it bothers me as well. It got between our date!”

Siwon immediately flick the girl’s forehead, gaining a soft groan from her. No matter how he thinks of it, it’s ridiculous how his mother told him to have a thing with Jessica who he thought as a younger sister after Jiwon.

“Can’t you take me seriously? I’ve always like you. Stop pretending like you don’t know and stop treating me like I’m a sister to you. What’s so hard about understanding my feelings?” Jessica tried not to be hard on the edge because if she does she fear her emotion will take the lead. “What should I do to make you return my feelings? How much longer should I wait…?”

Asking that while knowing he is dating Kyuhyun pretty much hurt her pride as someone who knows Siwon longer than Kyuhyun does.

“We’re not together but we already have our mother’s approval, isn’t that a great start? I’m sure your father will give us one as well.” Jessica forces a smile now holding his hand. “You don’t have to like me now but, can’t we try…hmm?”

Siwon remove her hand from his. “Jessica…stop.”

He’s not going to say it, is he?

“I’m going out with someone.”

“...”

“Who? Is it someone I know?”

“It’s Kyuhyun.”

The honesty falters Jessica.

“K-Kyu…hyun? Our Kyuhyun?!”

She thought Siwon is keeping that as a secret yet it seems that she’s wrong about that. Being all aware of them dating hurts her, yet hearing that confession directly from someone he love hurts more, as if her chest is stabbed by countless of knife.

How nauseating.

“I see…Since when?”

“It’s been a while.”

Jessica tries to laugh while playfully push Siwon on the shoulder. “Yah! You could’ve told me. Do you know how embarrassing that was? So Kyuhyun is your taste, huh? Well if I hadn’t met you first but Kyuhyun instead, I would’ve liked him too. He’s a good person. What do you like about him?”

Her words couldn’t be compared to how she actually feels. She is screaming inside as she slowly, silently bleeds.

Don’t let your emotion takes over you.

 

Kyuhyun stayed in his childhood friend’s house until dinner. At first he planned to bid his goodbye before the sun sets to catch up for the bus – even though Eunhyuk had offered to drive him home – but Eunhyuk parents caught him, saying that he should stay for dinner before leaving.

“Kyuhyun dear, come over again anytime you want. We’ll always welcome you here.” Mrs. Lee said with her sincere smile. Kyuhyun haven’t known Eunhyuk parents that well yet they treat him like their own son. Though today was only a short visit, it amazed Kyuhyun every time they speak and treat him so kindly the same as they do towards their son.

Is this what a complete family feels like?

Kyuhyun turns his face towards the window that’s unintentionally decorated by the light rain that fell from the sky the moment Eunhyuk told him he will drive him home.

He’s going to have a date tomorrow with Siwon after a week of not seeing each other. He misses him. He long for him, but he still doesn’t know how to properly face him. They promised to tell each other everything but Kyuhyun can’t imagine having to confess that they’re half-brothers in the middle of their date. Elbows rested on the window, he slightly covers his mouth with the back of his hand.

“My parents just met you today after that long years, but mother already give you that offer.” Eunhyuk said his thoughts out loud, not noticing the other is unwell. “Having you in with us… What do you think about the idea? You’re currently living alone in that house. It must be hard for you to manage all by yourself.”

The last two sentence wake Kyuhyun from his frightening thoughts.

“I don’t live alone. I’m with my brother.”

The weather wasn’t too sunny. Eunhyuk breathed the fresh air as he stood in the balcony looking at the gardeners doing their duty. When he spot Ryeowook walking towards the rose field holding a flower basket in his hand, he immediately check on Heechul who was still asleep on the couch, before going downstairs to approach his other cousin. When he’s a few steps behind Ryeowook, he tapped his shoulder. Ryeowook flinched, then turning around with a surprised face but smile when he knows its Eunhyuk.

“Hey. Why are you here?”

Eunhyuk fake a frown. “I arrived here yesterday we haven’t greet each other because uncle said you were buying clothes with Mr. Park.”

“That’s not what I mean.” Ryeowook take a glance behind his cousin. “Where’s Heechul?”

“He’s asleep now.”

Ryeowook precede picking red and white roses with Eunhyuk following behind. The cousins ask each other of how they feel about their days since they haven’t met for months. Ryeowook inhaled the flower’s scent before putting it into the flower’s basket. Six is enough. He doesn’t want to pick much, though every one of them is tempting. They settle on the white table with only two chairs. Eunhyuk called the servant and ask for tea and hot chocolate for Ryeowook with a piece of blueberry cheesecake and brownies as sides.

“Heechul is probably looking for you.”

Ryeowook sipped the drink. It’s his taste, a little bit bitter with less sweetness.

“Worried he might saw us hanging out like this?”

“I don’t want to see another fight.”

“It’s wrong for him to treat you like you aren’t his brother. It’s been five years!”

Ryeowook smiled, “I don’t mind. We…don’t share the same mother. I can’t be expecting him to treat me like one.”

Eunhyuk pick one rose from the flower basket. He brings the flower close to his face then inhales its scent, before plucking the petals silently as the other gazes on each of them in disinterest as they descend to the grass. Enjoying their small treat in silence, Eunhyuk feels like asking the question he’s been wondering about Ryeowook but never dared to for back then they weren’t close enough until the river incident took place. That’s when he started to look out for him.

“Don’t you miss your birth mother?”

“It’s hard to say. My whole life, I never meet my mother. I lived with my auntie ever since I was born. She raised me into what I am. Auntie told me mother will come for me one day, though I still don’t know when that day will be.”

The day when he took a picture with Kyuhyun was the last day he saw the boy and his mother. It never crossed his mind that their house would be empty the day after that. Coincidentally that was the same day when Ryeowook went missing from the Choi household. On his way to Blue Memento, the same day that afternoon he saw Ryeowook going inside a bus together with Heechul, yet his cousin said he haven’t seen the boy that day. He could still recall how his uncle searched for his son everywhere but couldn’t find a single trace. Could that day Ryeowook return to his auntie’s house?

“Really? I never see your brother anywhere when you were little.”

“Our auntie raised hyung ever since he was an infant. He started living with us when he was eleven.”

“Hmm…Did he take care of you well?” Hyukjae ask as he taps his steering wheel. “Has he been a good brother to you?”

“Hyung’s a hardworking brother. He treats me very well. After mom’s not with us anymore he took part times even though he’s busy with school. We barely had the time to spend time together since he’s always busy making a living for us. I think…I’m lucky enough to have him as a…”

Eunhyuk waited for him to continue but when he heard nothing he turns at him only to see tears streaming down his cheeks. He immediately pulls over the car at the side of the road, then asks what was wrong but that only make Kyuhyun cried harder.

How Eunhyuk want to comfort him by giving a hug but he pulls his hand away. He guiltily watches his childhood friend crying his heart out. When Kyuhyun no longer cries but only let out small sobs, he offers his handkerchief to Kyuhyun which he reluctantly takes it.

“I’m sorry…”

“Don’t be. Is it enough?”

Kyuhyun confusedly look at him, “W…what?”

“If you still feel heavy, you might wanna let them all out.”

“No I’m… better now.”

“Sure?”

“Yeah.” Though Eunhyuk doubts because the expression on Kyuhyun tells him otherwise, he continues the drive since illegal parking could get them in trouble. He could ask what made the other like this, but he’s afraid it would make his childhood friend sad. So rather than probing, he’s thinking what he can do to lift that mood.

Kyuhyun breaks off from his thoughts when he realizes the car stopped moving. Looking ahead he raised his eyebrows in surprise since the surrounding doesn’t look like the area around where he lives. In puzzle he looks at the older but only receives a friendly smile. Eunhyuk locks the car when they’re already outside then begin walking leaving Kyuhyun flabbergasted behind.

Noticing that Kyuhyun haven’t taken a step away from the car, Eunhyuk look back at him.

“What are you waiting for? Let’s go.”

Kyuhyun immediately approach him – still feeling confused of other’s intention – until they finally walk side by side.

“Uhm…Why are we here at Public Park?”

To cheer you up. Eunhyuk slightly scratch his neck as he’s holding what he truly wants to say. Saying that out loud would sound very weird. He needs to search for another reason. “I need to go back to the office tomorrow so I think of spending some time here. Refreshment before going back to the wild.”

Well, that’s a lame one.

“Isn’t tomorrow holiday?”

“It’s more like a preparation before filling my position again. My cousin temporarily filled them for me when I was on my vacation. I need to properly catch up in order not to feel left out for meetings later. I don’t want to embarrass myself in front of others.”

Kyuhyun lets out a small smile, “Seems like you’re into your job.”

“I’m trusted with an important position so it’s my duty to keep going forward.” Eunhyuk said when he suddenly spots a cotton candy stall. He pulls Kyuhyun by his arm towards the stall and orders two of them. He hands the blue colored one with shape of bear to Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun feels a spark of excitement building up within and his mouth feels watery just by looking at his favorite sweets. He thanked Eunhyuk for the treat before taking a small bite of the cotton candy. Without exchanging more words, Eunhyuk continues walking with Kyuhyun following beside him.

The light night air subconsciously calms their mind and the sky that’s usually filled with no stars are looking otherwise. Kyuhyun never thought he needs this, a simple moment in calm surroundings where he walks with his thoughts solely. It doesn’t exactly cheer him to the point that he forgets the things that made him down. Instead it gives him a piece of mind to slowly start accepting for what it is, no matter how hard it’ll be.

“The stars are beautiful, aren’t they?”

Eunhyuk turns his head to look at Kyuhyun, who now has a soft smile plastered on his face as he stares at the mesmerizing night sky view. He looks up as well and spots the brightest looking star among others, “They are.”

They were heavy steps, yet Kyuhyun managed to attend their promised date.

When he sees Siwon waiting for him at the place where they supposed to meet, the sight tears him as Siwon waved at him with loving smile. Even the hurtful truth he decided to solely hold with his bare hands still can’t erase his feelings for Siwon. How could he, when he loves him so much? Holding back his tears he forced a smile.

The date was fun. They enjoyed it to the fullest.

Throughout the day Siwon noticed that his lover isn’t wearing the ring. Whenever Kyuhyun had a problem or a bad day he would always tell him about it, however he waited, yet Kyuhyun hasn’t mention anything about last week’s phone call that worries him until now. He places his hand on his lover’s cheek, giving it a gentle caress.

Kyuhyun closes his eyes with a smile as he feels his heart fluttering. He lightly leans on the touch, loving this simple warmth that he knows he should no longer seek in the future. Opening his eyes to the reality he has to face, Kyuhyun drops Siwon’s hand away from his cheek while giving that warm hand a gentle squeeze.

When Siwon could feel his lover’s hand trembles, it’s that moment when feels something is wrong.

“Siwon…I…”

For the good memories Kyuhyun shared with his first love, with all his life he will forever treasure them.