Past Chapter 22

Passerby

It wasn’t a long day yet Eunhyuk felt like he could sleep for a whole day tomorrow.

Ah, there’s no time to laze around…With cup of warm lemon water in his hand – his favorite drink of all time – he rose from the couch to look at the night city view from his wide apartment window. The mesmerizing city lights somehow calms his anxious thoughts ever since he left the airport today yet has no control of ceasing it. He would have a week off starting from today, a rare one without any of his caring family members know his whereabouts. It’ll be okay. Just for a while until everything’s over, Eunhyuk said deep inside.

His phone on top of the drawer rings. He takes it to see who the caller is which turns out to be his assistant. Swiping the ‘answer’ button he positioned the phone to his ear as he waited for the other to speak. He didn’t know what he’d hear next would make his limbs weak. Hearing what’s behind the call almost making him drop the cup he’s holding.

“I’ve sent you the details through text, including the home address and picture.”

Eunhyuk rushed to the parking lot and get inside his car without any second thoughts. Turning on the engine he drives away towards the location his assistant sent him. One thing he didn’t expect it’s the same place he tried visiting years ago during high school.

He had given up since he thought he had moved. The house looked different, probably it was renovated? He could feel his heart beating radically. Finally after all these years he found him. Eunhyuk couldn’t contain his happiness and nervousness that he taps on the steering wheel. His mind rehearsing the words he wanted to say to the latter. How should he greet him? Would he recognize him at all? The last time they properly see each other was when the boy was five.

The traffic light doesn’t seem to be cooperating. Eunhyuk looked to the side at the sudden crowd that he doesn’t actually bother at all as he’s waiting for the light to turn green. He couldn’t wait to meet him, is what currently crowns his mind. However, a face he’s familiar with emerged from the small crowd that gained his attention. The figure looked in frantic as she shook the person’s body with her slender fingers..

The green light arises, Eunhyuk then make his turn to park nearby the crowds and walked out of his vehicle to approach that person.

The called person looked at him surprised, “Hyuk oppa?!”

“Save the greetings for later, Jess. What’s with the commotion-” Eunhyuk halted as he stares on the unconscious figure on the ground.

It’s him.

But why is he

“My friend just fainted! I think he’s not feeling well he even…” Jessica said out of breath. Eunhyuk dart between her and the boy.

Friend?

“I’ll tell you the rest later. Oppa, can you help me take him to the hospital?” Even before she completed her sentence Eunhyuk already start carrying the latter in his back style towards his car.

What the hell is happening?

Why is he weak like this? There’s so many question in his head however he gotta wake up.

Eunhyuk mentally cursed.

It’s not the time to ponder.

With Jessica’s help he gently rest Kyuhyun in the back seat and drive towards the hospital to get him checked.

The doctor explained that Kyuhyun fainted due to fatigue and stress. They were also told the younger can discharge once he regains consciousness. For the mean time Kyuhyun should rest alongside receiving IV drip. The doctor leaves the room after both thanked him for the time.

Eunhyuk never expect this night would be different than the rest.

“What happened to your friend?”

Jessica pulled a chair and sits next to the bed where Kyuhyun is sleeping while Eunhyuk who was leaning against the wall sighs, solemn eyes fixated on the sleeping beauty.

“I don’t know. I was on my night run when I spot him feeling sick all of a sudden. I tried calling his name but it seemed like he doesn’t realize I was there. Right after that he fainted. Thanks for helping me carry my friend here, oppa.” Jessica heaves a small smile at the man, “I see that you’re back to Seoul. I thought you’re supposed to be here next week. None of the family mentioned your return. Perhaps you have something urgent to attend?”

Kyuhyun has grown a lot, he smiled in mind. How he wished they met at a proper timing. Thank you for staying alive…I’m sorry it took me a while to find you. But…Why does our meeting have to start like this? What happened to you? Why…Why are you like this?

I have many things I wanted to tell you so please wake up soon.

That night Eunhyuk prayed for Kyuhyun to be well once he wakes up.

 

“You lied to me.”

The sharp words coming from his brother clench his heart that it suffocated him. In the dark living room stood Kyuhyun illuminated by the moonlight from their upper window looking down on the ground as lake of tears streaming down his cheeks. Yet, the face that depicts the hurt and punched of betrayals left Ryeowook speechless, no matter how he tried to take one step ahead to coax his brother and to explain everything in detail before anger crowned Kyuhyun’s fragile emotion. His heart hurt seeing the weak figure of the person he most treasure in his life, after his mother.

However – too late – it is as what he sees.

“Kyuhyun ah, I’m sorry I can explain.” Ryeowook said in broken voice. “I wanted to tell you.”

The third year high school boy shook his head as he wiped his tears with his sleeves and Ryeowook sighs in desperation. “Please trust me. I will tell you everything that you need to know.”

“Is it fun making fool of me?”

“No, all I wanted-“

“I don’t want to hear them. I can’t trust you anymore. How could you do this to me?!”

Last night’s dream made Ryeowook wake up in cold sweat. One never wished for a nightmare. Not even those who experience it in real life are used to it.

“We can find him. Any idea where Kyuhyun could have gone?” Jungsoo asked as he begins driving the car. He worriedly glances at Ryeowook who nervously play with his fingers. “Do you know his friends address? We can go to them to check. Who knows he’s staying there overnight.”

The visit to Kyuhyun friends gives them zero result. What’s worse, neither of them had talked to him on the day of his disappearance. Where did his brother go? Ryeowook wondered every possible place his brother could have gone to yet it was out of reach. This messy mind caused him not to think straight right now. However, a thing he doesn’t want to admit comes to his mind.

“Hyung…This morning Siwon told me he walked Kyuhyun home last night. You were there that night when I had a talk with father. Kyuhyun couldn’t have heard everything…right?”

“No way. I didn’t see him anywhere around the house.” Jungsoo assured, trying to put himself in the boy’s shoes as well. For Kyuhyun to find out everything that way won’t be a good idea. The kid would have a hard time accepting it – the part where Siwon is actually his half-brother. This will result the boy hating his own flesh. It’d be better if Kyuhyun hear them from Ryeowook – everything.

After a few hours of tiring drive, they decided to take a rest at the nearby park bench.

Ryeowook covers his face with hands then sighs, “Sorry. We’re supposed to be at work.”

“The president knows. After knowing the reason is regarding his children, it’s obvious he lets us go for the day. Not only I’m given a duty to watch you over but as your right-hand man it’s also my duty to help you like this. So please don’t ever feel bad.”

Jungsoo was first introduced to Ryeowook by his boss, Choi Jaehwan, the major backbone of the Choi household. One spring day when Heechul was getting ready to attend Jessica’s birthday party, the five year old boy was suddenly brought into the household by the man.

“I can’t always be here for Ryeowook since I have things to do at office and overseas so I can’t really watch him close. I know this environment is still new for him. Jungsoo, starting from now you’re his right-hand. Please watch him for me. Tomorrow there should be an update to his schedules to be the same as Heechul. Do inform me anything that regards him.” Jaehwan ordered then turns to carry Ryeowook in his arms, resting the small’s head he caressed so lovingly on his shoulders.

“Understood.” Jungsoo nodded. He discreetly admires the image of father and son before him. “Is there anything else I could help you with?” He asked after he noticed the short troubled look from his boss.

“Don’t let anyone barged in to take this child away from here.” Jaehwan said as he stared at a blank space, “Even if that someone says they’re important person for him.”

Since then Jungsoo ought to not let Ryeowook slip away from his eyes. The little boy is a bright and intelligent kid. They easily got along. Not only Ryeowook was generous towards him but the caretakers as well. Even sometimes the almond haired boy tried to contribute in taking care of the beautiful garden which the gardeners refused often however in the end gave in since he’s too adorable.

“This rose is the prettiest.” Ryeowook admired the roses he just picked in the flower basket. There are different kinds of flowers in it yet only one type that seemingly to mesmerize him.

“White rose? Is that your favorite flower?” Jungsoo curious.

“Yes.”

“It sure is pretty… There are others that stand out most. Can I ask why you choose white rose?”

“Mom.”

Jungsoo blinked at the answer. As realization hits he sighs. That’s right, ever since Ryeowook was brought into the house never once he probe about the child’s mother. All the head announced was Ryeowook is his child.

Your mom, as beautiful as the white rose. Kind, lovable, pure and honest.” Ryeowook said slowly words by word. It’s pretty difficult for a young boy as young as him to speak like that. “Auntie described mom like that. Because of it I admire mom, even though I never see her before. Auntie said soon mom will come for me. I will always wait for mom.”

“I see…” Jungsoo trails with furrow eyebrows, “Auntie?”

His curiosity arises. He couldn’t lie about it, no matter how he thinks that his job is Ryeowook’s right hand-man and he should ignore stuff related to his personal background. He asked for his friend’s help to do a background check on the boy. At night the day after that Jungsoo drives to the place his friend just texted him.

Just as his feet lands across the gate, he heard cries of arguments that made him halt.

“I’m so sorry Seojin ah… I didn’t want to break the promise, and I wanted to keep it. I thought of you but at the same time seeing Ryeowook growing bright every day, thinking of my nephew as my own son, I don’t want him growing fatherless. You don’t have to worry. I believe…Jaehwan will take care of him well. It hasn’t been that long since they’re seeing each other but Ryeowook loves his father. I could see he admires him very much.”

Jungsoo narrow his eyes at the mention of his boss. He steps closer until he could see figures of two women and a little boy seated blankly on the wooden floor.

“Don’t you remember unnie? He’s the one who threw me and my children away for another woman. Do you remember the robbery that broke my family apart…? It was all a set up so the two could get together! The Chois planned them! I lost Heechul to that family. I trusted my Ryeowook to you but now I lost them both!”

Wrong timing… Jungsoo said in his mind as he held his breath, surprised at what he knew now. Ryeowook’s mother was abandoned by Jaehwan because of another woman? Was that other woman Madam Young Ah?

It took Jungsoo around six months to finally have the courage to approach Seojin. They sat in the terrace oppositely from each other by cups of hibiscus tea. He told her everything, the truth as the reason of his visit. It made Seojin cry. She missed her children so much. The thought of being separated with your children somehow chills him. He handed her his handkerchief as a polite act of comfort while assuring once more that Ryeowook is living well.

“Thank you for having my son in your care.” Seojin smiled a little. She looked better now compared to the first time they face each other.

“I owe you with this one-”

“No… Please don’t ever think of that.” Jungsoo replied, “At first I was given a job by Mr. Choi to take care of Ryeowook because of his hectic schedules but as time passes I realize ...It is more than a mere job. Rather than taking care of someone’s child, it feels like taking care of a little brother. Heechul…is your son too, am I right? I overheard everything that night…I apologize, I didn’t mean to do it.”

“It’s okay. He is… my son. He was born six minutes earlier than Ryeowook. That makes him his older brother.” Her beautiful smile could make ones heart flutter. Above that, the way she speaks Jungsoo could see how soft and a loving person she is. How could his boss abandoned someone as kind as her, with a ‘robbery incident’ scenario planned by his family? It jumbled him because he’s working for that family. He always knew what the family is capable of. They would use anything to get what the desire. It’s a shame to admit that a few times he got his hands dirty.

The Chois prioritize family than any other. Hurting their own family is out of bound, especially when children are involved.

How contradicting.

“Since they are living under the same roof, are they getting along with each other?” Seojin questioned.

No. Despite being twins, the brothers never get along from start. Heechul, the sharp and smart kid he is always avoided Ryeowook at all cost. Jungsoo knew the boy was jealous because Ryeowook got their father’s attention. On the contrary, Ryeowook tends to get all shy whenever he’s meeting Heechul for classes. Despite all that they never fight which is a good thing.

“Honestly, Heechul is still trying to cope with Ryeowook’s presence. They barely talk, but they work well together during classes. I’m not assigned to Heechul nor has anyone been assigned to him but…If you’d like, I will watch him.”

“Thank you.” Seojin looked down, fiddling her hands. Jungsoo knew that gesture well. “It’s all in the past. I want to forget what had happened. I have a new family now. I wish to gather my children with me in the future.”

Jungsoo puts on a smile and hand her his business card. “I will update you about your sons. Please contact me if anything happens.”

For years he watched Ryeowook grow into a well-being son, who has his little brother Kyuhyun under his small wings.

 

The fresh air and a pinch of sun rays from the opened window touched their cheeks. The man in dark bomber jacket and black cap playfully spins his car keys with his finger turn his gaze at the teenage girl who hasn’t sleep since last night seated beside the sleeping boy.

“He’s a really bothersome friend.”

“Bothersome? That you were so frantic about yesterday?”

“He’s annoyingly bothersome. I hate him.” Jessica said honestly as she stares at the sleeping figure. “I’m not joking.”

It’s odd how she could be herself whenever she’s around the man who she barely share things to. Their relationship is no other than a normal acquaintance who meets only on family occasions and coincidence. It’s no doubt their family gets along because they’re business partners.

The twenty-three year old man scoffed, “You even dragged me into this.” He joked.

“Oppa!” Thankfully they’re in private room. Patients would’ve woken up by her loud voice. “It’s not like I had any other choice!”

“Oh? Why so serious? Jess, I’m just kidding.”

What makes them near to speak so comfortably is the family. If their family doesn’t know each other, he wouldn’t want to waste his time getting to know basics of her. “Right now I’m just surprised there’s another guy other than Siwon.”

Jessica sigh her annoyance. “I don’t want to talk about him. Oppa, I’m getting drink. What do you want?”

“I’m fine. Go have breakfast. You were awake the whole night. I’ll stay here and watch for your friend.” Eunhyuk looked at the boy with soft gaze which Jessica is unaware of since she’s still annoyed by his teasing.

A moment later Eunhyuk’s assistant walked into the room informing him regarding today’s schedule that his cousin is supposed to do. He may be outside of his responsibility but even so he’s attentively watching for his work, if case if anything goes wrong.

“Jess, don’t tell others about this.”

“A whole week off just to find someone? Count on me. I won’t.” Jessica assured. She told him to call her when Kyuhyun wakes up before stepping out of the room.

“Take Jessica to a nearby restaurant. She hasn’t eaten anything since yesterday so make sure she’s filled. If she wants to go somewhere else after or before that, her. She looks like she needs a break.” Eunhyuk assigned to his assistant.

 

“Thank you for always being there for me…hyung.” Ryeowook smiles sadly as he look ahead, “I plan to meet father again today. I’m… going to resign from the company.”

Jungsoo frowns, “Is something wrong? You love it there. You just received the employee of the month title!”

“Aside from my position in that family, I really do love my job.”

“Then, why? Is it because of Madam?”

“Madam confronted me yesterday regarding the family’s recent scandal and my brother’s relationship with her son. When she told me I should keep my brother away from her son and resign from the company I contemplated a lot about it then I realize what she said was…right.”

“What?”

“I can’t keep Kyuhyun and Siwon together anymore. I can’t stay in that company any longer. You know how well I got here not by my own merit but by father’s help. During the company’s recruitment content there were others that did better yet I got chosen instead. I was young, fresh out of high school, hadn’t completely finish my college degree yet. Madam is never fond of me but I had lived a good life with secure thanks to father. I want…to live a peaceful life with Kyuhyun. I’ve committed to raise him until he’s able to walk a journey himself.”

“Since when do you care about what she said?” Jungsoo confused, “Did she…threaten you?”

“No.” Ryeowook smiled bitterly when the white lie comes from his lips. “I…must act now. I don’t want the same cycle to be repeated. Our mother lost everything. She had suffered enough. I have to protect Kyuhyun from that family at all cost. This may sound cruel but I have to, even from someone that he dearly loves.”

“It’s just like I said from the beginning. Tell Kyuhyun everything before he finds out.” Jungsoo said, “It’d hurt him if he finds out everything by himself. I’m scared he won’t be able to take it.”

They were too busy with their own thoughts regarding Kyuhyun’s whereabouts to realize to men approaching them. They stopped before them and together they look at them questioningly.

Jungsoo is quick enough to catch a police car parked near them.

“Are you Cho Ryeowook?”

Ryeowook stands at the mention of his name, still puzzled of the situation. “Yes that’s me.”

“We’re the police.” The man said after showing his police ID card to them. The other that stands beside him fished out a handcuff and begins cuffing Ryeowook out of blue.

“Excuse me, what’s this all about?” Jungsoo exclaimed.

“Cho Ryeowook-ssi. You are under arrest for bribery. You have the right to remain silent. You may want to contact your lawyer as soon as possible.”

Ryeowook shook his head. He wants to deny but it’s as if everything he want to say is stuck in his throat. The confusion and anxiety broke his voice, “H-hyung…I…”

“Cooperate with them for the mean time. Everything's going to be okay.” Jungsoo assured as he tried smiling for Ryeowook.

It’s clear who is behind this.

Not only has this almost crossed the line of his patience, it’s making his blood boil as well.

 

Eunhyuk almost fall asleep while sitting on the chair beside the bed when he sees Kyuhyun slowly opening his eyes. It shook off his drowsiness now that his attention is all on the other.

When Kyuhyun begin to blinking his eyes, Eunhyuk smiled in relief.

“You’re awake…”

Kyuhyun fixes himself to sit on the bed. Eunhyuk place the pillow on Kyuhyun’s back so the boy could lie comfortably against it.

Kyuhyun stared at a blank space as his mind immediately recalls everything that happened last night. Even the preposterous things he heard between Ryeowook and their so called father. He chanted in his mind that everything that happened last night was just a mere dream. At the same time his inner feeling says this is the reality he has to face. How could his brother do this? Keeping everything and watching him getting together with Siwon…

It’s as if he’s making a fool of them.

Above all that, his heart hurts the most.

Suddenly feeling nauseous, Kyuhyun gets off from the bed without a word and hurriedly rushes to the bathroom. Kneeling before the toilet he spills his insides. The gagging sound alarmed Eunhyuk that he hurried to Kyuhyun.

Eunhyuk looks at Kyuhyun worriedly then gently pats his back. Just what is happening that made the boy a mess like this?

“I’ll call the doctor.”

“Don’t bother.” Kyuhyun stands, walking out of the toilet. Rather than asking the name of the person who is with him now, he asked how he ended up being in a hospital.

Hyukjae leaned against the wall while crossing his arms. “Your friend found you on the street. Coincidentally at that time I was there so I drove her with you to the hospital. I’m here to watch you for a while until she’s back.”

Kyuhyun turned around with his furrow eyebrows, “A friend? She?”

“Jessica.” Eunhyuk noticed Kyuhyun avoided eye contact as soon as he mentioned that name. “I told her to have breakfast since she stayed up late for you.”

“Oh…” Kyuhyun sits back on the bed. He doesn’t have a choice but to wait until Jessica returns. It is unexpected to be in the hospital, especially after what had happened. He didn’t know he’d faint in the street and that Jessica found him in weak state. Snapping out of his thought he turned to the man. He just realized they’re in the same room talking yet he doesn’t know who he is.

“Who are you?”

Eunhyuk fished out his phone. Swiping and clicking on it he then shows the screen to Kyuhyun. On the picture is a small picture of two boys standing by each other that Kyuhyun recognized. The small boy he recognizes is him and the tall one with yellow raincoat with red cap…

Why does he have the picture?

Eunhyuk tenderly smiles,

“We finally meet again, my childhood friend.”

 

A/N: Eunhyuk is here, finally!