Past Chapter 21

Passerby

“Twinkle, twinkle little star. How I wonder what you are. Up above the world so high, like a diamond in the sky….” Sang the young boy in yellow raincoat while carrying the little one on his back who continue singing the next line,

“Twinkle, twinkle little star…How I wonder what you are!”

“Are you feeling better now Kyu?” The eleven year old boy asked. “Tell me if you feel cold. We can rest nearby.”

“I’m sleepy …” Kyuhyun tightens the hug on other’s neck, “I miss mommy. When can we get home?”

“We’re still playing hide and seek, remember?” The taller forced a smile, “Don’t you worry, your mom will find us soon. For now, just sleep. Hang on tight otherwise you will fall.”

“Okay…” The young Kyuhyun agreed sleepily, “Hyung.”

“Yes?”

“Thanks for being my hyung for the day.”

Kyuhyun opened his eyes only to close them again from the bright light. He tried opening them again and slowly getting up wanting to properly sit however his body seemed rejecting. Shortly after that he felt a sharp pain on his head. Disliking the feeling, he winced in pain yet shrugs them off when he felt the need to leave the hospital-like room. As he sat there staring blankly at the blue blanket he then realize he indeed had been sleeping at hospital. For how long, he’d like to know. Talking to Jessica near the stairs at school was the last thing he remembered before blanking out.

He sighed as he felt another throb of pain. At that moment he recalled that very last moment when Jessica pushed him off the stairs. Just as he’s about to get up from the bed he heard the opening of the sliding door. Looking up to the person in white coat before him he blinked in confusion then a small smile paints his face.

The raven haired man approached him, replying the other’s smile with assures one.

“Yesung hyung.”

“How are you feeling, Kyuhyun?”

“I feel weird.”

“I was told by your friends that you fell off the stairs and fainted. It’s pretty normal to feel that but don’t worry you’re going to be okay. Thankfully there’s no complication, only head trauma.” Yesung checked his watch. “You’ve been sleeping for half a day since the fall. Are you still feeling tired? If you are then you should rest more.”

“No.” Kyuhyun didn’t expect his brother’s boyfriend is still a chatterbox at work. He smirked, “Hyung…I mean, doctor Kim, I thought you’d be different here but I guess you’re not. You’re still the same talkative guy, just like my brother. I was expecting you’d be cooler.”

“Am I? But aren’t I cool enough?” Yesung shows off his white coat. “I look good in this right? Your brother totally fell for me with this. Ah right, I haven’t informed him.” He fished out his phone from the coat and about to call Ryeowook when Kyuhyun shook his head, smiling reassuringly.

“No. That’s okay, hyung. I don’t think there’s a need to tell him now. He’s probably still at work. We shouldn’t make him worry.”

Yesung hesitates but put back his phone, “Alright, then I’ll tell him after work. He needs to know that you’re here.”

“Thanks hyung.”

Yesung smiled back. “By the way, your friends are here.”

“My friends?” Kyuhyun face lit up. “Where?”

“I told them to wait here for you but they’ve been waiting outside.” Just as the raven haired doctor opens the door, Changmin, Minho and Victoria burst inside the room and lunged at their friend who just woke up. Kyuhyun softly laughed at the affection he receives. It was warm and loving. Somehow it eases the pain away. He closes his eyes and wraps his arms around them as he savors their warmth but only to open them again with a slight frown on his face when he couldn’t feel Siwon presence.

Yet, he managed to smile again. He shouldn’t be sad in front of his friends after they waited for almost half a day.

“So guys, I’m craving for spicy rice cake after this. Let’s go for them. My treat, how about that?” Kyuhyun offered with a smirk, receiving whines from others. “I’m just kidding.”

“Yah, don’t you know how worried we are and you can still joke at times like this?” Minho sighs, rolling his eyes and crossing his arms. Changmin couldn’t agree more with that, same goes with Victoria who’s about to flick the head of her friend who fell off from school’s stairs but remembered he’s currently in process of recovery.

“How do you feel now?” Victoria turned to ask. “What did the doctor say?”

“Not so lightheaded.” Kyuhyun admitted calmly, “I feel a little pain on my back but I’m sure I’ll be fine because the doctor say so.” He smiles. “Also, I don’t think I should stay any longer here. That might worry my hyung so I’m going to request for a discharge today.”

 

- Rumor: The First Hidden Son of Choi Group -

Young Ah never thought the article would reach the national TV news.

“Oh? Mom, is that true?” Jiwon asked; her eyes fixated on the big screen before them while Siwon who is seated by her wordlessly analyzing the news header over and over again. Same goes for Heechul who had his eyes wide the moment he saw the news.

“It’s not.” Young Ah sipped her tea, trying to be calm, “Don’t believe any other news related to that. Those people are just trying to taint our family’s image.” To make things worse, right after that article was published the house received countless calls from journalists.

Siwon smiles a little as he leaned on the sofa, “Well, who had such an idea? But, wouldn’t it be interesting if it’s true? Suddenly having another sibling we never know of?”

You don’t know what you’re talking about…Heechul faltered by what his brother just said. A sigh escaped his lips. Surely Siwon would change his mind once he learns that a certain person he loves is actually his half-brother. Just sitting there being the second person from the four who’s aware what the news said is true is nauseating. “Siwon, Jiwon, how about some coffee outside?”

“Sounds good.” Jiwon exclaimed and the three leaves the living room.

Feeling her chest tightened in anger, Young Ah right away switched off the TV and distractedly plays with her nails as she pace around the living room, wondering how they managed to get such secret information. No one knows about this except her husband and Seojin’s son, Cho Ryeowook. Could it be that Jaehwan tipped a journalist?

“No, that can’t be.” Young Ah murmured, “He cares a lot about the family’s image. No way had he tipped them with that. If it’s not him then…” She paused as she doesn’t even want to mention that certain name again.

The guy had been hanging around the family like leech ever since he approached Jaehwan, admitting of being his son. The two couples had kept that as a secret from the children to make things not complicated. What would they think once they know they have siblings from a different mother? More importantly, as they know this is their father’s first marriage.

Young Ah dialed a number she would always call whenever she needs something to be done. She stopped pacing once she heard the other line picked up, “Find out who tipped the journalist and erase the article at all cost. I don’t want to see them anymore by tonight.”

 

Ryeowook felt his phone vibrate in his hand. He looks at the screen for the caller’s name before picking up the call. Behind the line was Jungsoo asking where he is.

“W-what did you just say?”

Kyuhyun…He’s at the hospital.

It made his blood run cold. Ryeowook immediately rushed towards the hospital and asked for his brother’s room. Once he found where it is he opened the sliding door and see Kyuhyun standing beside the bed with school uniform, surprised at his older brother’s presence. It took Ryeowook a few moments to realize that the man in brown coat is Jungsoo, standing before the window now facing back at him.

“Hyung!” Kyuhyun called and Ryeowook wordlessly rushed to him, giving him a tight embrace.

“Kyuhyun ah, what the hell happened? Are you okay?” Ryeowook asked as he examines Kyuhyun and cup his cheeks, “How come you’re here? Did someone hurt you? Do you remember what they look–?”

“He slipped off the stairs.” Jungsoo cuts and slightly irritated on how Ryeowook asked things too far of context. “Yesung said it’s a head trauma only with no complications, thankfully. He just needs to rest more but overall he’s all okay.”

“Kyuhyun ah, are you sure?” Ryeowook frowned at his brother.

“Hyung, I’m really okay now. I’ve rest enough. I told Yesung hyung not to call you because I know you’re busy but I never thought he’d call Jungsoo hyung instead.” Kyuhyun awkwardly smiles as he scratches the back of his neck, “I have no idea they know each other and now you’re here because Jungsoo hyung called you… Sorry you had to come all the way here.”

“What’s important is that you’re okay.” Ryeowook said as he embraces his brother again. “Don’t let things like this happen again, okay? How can you be so stubborn…?”

 

Just as Young Ah expected, the press fortunately cease down by night. She no longer could see articles related to the family.

It was usually twice a month when the Chois have their dinner at the Jungs. The two families are like one family of no other. But of course that doesn’t really apply to one of the oldest child in the dining table. Choi Heechul, who in every seconds steal glances almost at everyone as for the things that happened today. Seated in the same old table and same spot yet the only difference are the more years added the more uneasy it feels.

Everyone was eating well while with less appetite the attractive short haired man barely touch the rice and delicious looking dishes served. He only finished the seaweed soup cooked by Mrs. Jung Yuna especially for him. Yet, what was supposedly a taste dish somewhat tasted bitter today.

It didn’t take a while for Yuna to notice the uneasy expression on her friend’s eldest son. With her chopsticks she picks a piece of his favorite braised meat, putting it on his rice bowl. “You need to eat more.” Heechul quietly thanked her after what she said shortly.

“Oppa, are you alright? Something’s bothering you?” Jessica breaks the silence as well as pulling her caring role. That’s what she has to do in front of her parents and others who don’t have a slightest hunch of her terms with Heechul. “Tell me if you need anything. I’ll do my best to help.”

“An unfortunate event happened to my friend today.”

“What kind?”

“Apparently he slipped off the stairs and was brought to the hospital.”

Jessica immediately freezes at the statement, feeling an edgy tug in her chest and hands trembling. Did Heechul just referred to Kyuhyun? If so how did he know?

“That’s dangerous. Is he okay?” Siwon concerned, not aware that it’s about his lover.

“Thankfully other than mild head trauma there’s nothing wrong with him. Oh well, he’s like my little brother. I guess I’m just too worried about him.”

“T-that’s …too… bad. I hope he recovers soon.” Jessica said trying to remain calm.

“So have you visited that friend of yours?” His father asked.

“I didn’t get to since I’m told about it before this dinner. I think I’ll take half the day off tomorrow and visit him.” Heechul place the spoon back on the table, now eyeing daggers at the girl who caused trouble that afternoon. Asking someone to watch for Kyuhyun right after he knew Jessica would do anything to make Siwon hers, even if it means spoiling anyone like what she had done before was the best decision he made. Hearing the news that Kyuhyun fell off the stairs because Jessica pushed him after a small argument of jealousy was enough to trigger his anger. “Jessica, how about you come with me tomorrow? Help me choose gifts for my friend. You have a good taste when it comes to giving them.”

“A-ah…Yes. Why not?” Jessica forced a smile. Just what exactly is Heechul planning? She thinks of another topic, “There’s a place I want to show you. Perhaps we can go there tomorrow? I’m sure you will like it since you love arts.”

“Is it that new museum?” Jung Minhyeol, the head of the Jung family interests. “I heard it’s a good place. You should go. It’s been a while since I saw the two of you hang around together.”

“Dad! You spoiled it.” Jessica whined, “I wanted to surprise Heechul oppa.” Meanwhile Heechul somehow feeling disgusted at her clingy behavior.

“The meeting with that investor from China, how was it?” Young Ah asked but it’d be preferable for Heechul if at least she smile a bit, considering how he had to stay in the private room in restaurant for two hours just for the man to sign the deal.

“Nothing out of ordinary.” By all means it went well.

Jaehwan smiled in satisfaction at his eldest son’s work. “I told him your position as vice chairman is temporary. He said you have so much potential. Why don’t you give it a thought again, hmm?”

The answer is simple, working as that position is not his thing.

“No father, I’m just filling for my cousin who’s currently on vacation. He’ll be back next week. We should wait for him.” Heechul said, exactly in his casual demeanor. “He loves the company so much. If I tell him I’d take over his position he might get mad. The ground will split for that. Trust me you don’t want that to happen.”

Just sometimes, Young Ah couldn’t be more than agree at the first son.

“Our cousin is scary when he’s angry.” Jiwon said with a slight sour face as she filled in for the first time ever since the dinner starts. “Last time when I visited the company with Siwon oppa, I saw him throwing a fit at an employee who accidentally spilled coffee on his suit. Poor guy, he could’ve just charge for a dry cleaning.”

“I remember it like it was just yesterday.” Yuna sighs and her husband follows,

“That was on news.”

“The legal department did an enough job to drop the press. It didn’t spread that much.” Young Ah clarified.

The Chois return to their home after dinner. The three siblings left for their own room while Young Ah stayed in the garden waiting for a phone call. When her phone finally rings, she immediately picks up the call. With heart racing in anxiety she attentively listens to every word the caller said.

 

Heechul turns to the figure that just walked out of the pastry shop. Jessica eyes are everywhere but him as he now stands before her crush’s brother. Heechul fetched her up at her house in the morning and ever since they left the place they haven’t exchange a word regarding the incident. It was more like; Heechul couldn’t say a thing for the horrible thing the teenage girl had done. He was utterly speechless and pissed off. As for Jessica, she felt bad but the feeling didn’t last long.

As expected for someone who did the same to a friend long time ago because of jealousy.

“What did you buy?”

“Cheesecake.”

“Treating yourself?” Heechul asked uninterestedly as he looks ahead to the road, hands rested on steering wheel.

“No. This is for Kyuhyun.” Jessica said. Unexpectedly she felt a lump of guilt in her chest. “Who knows he might like it.”

“It’s good you know who we’ll be visiting.” Heechul clenched his jaw.

“It can’t be a coincidence that your friend fell off the stairs when my friend did as well, exactly on the same day.” Jessica stated frankly while Heechul lightly scoffed. “Since when have you been watching him, oppa? It hasn’t been a while since you guys know each other and yet you care for him so much as if he’s a family.”

Kyuhyun is someone that my brother treasures.

Not long after, they at last arrive at Kyuhyun house. Ryeowook greeted them by the door and lead them inside. Heechul give the petite a gentle embrace while Jessica shortly bows.

He is half of my blood and flesh too.

“You are Jessica, right?” Ryeowook asked with a sincere smile, not having a slightest awareness that he’s talking to the perpetrator. “It’s good to see you again.”

Jessica smiled back and hand the man the pastry gift. “Oppa, for Kyuhyun.”

Ryeowook peeked what’s inside the bag, “Cheesecake?! Kyuhyun love this! Thank you, Jessica!”

“Ah, is that so? What a relief then. I wasn’t sure what his favorite is so I thought of giving what I like.”

On the other side Heechul sits comfortably on the couch. He often comes to the Cho house. Somehow the place has been more comfortable than where he actually lives. Kyuhyun, a while later upon hearing noises from outside his room he comes out and greet the two guests. Despite what Jessica had done to him he looks at her calmly and usher her to follow him to his room. Ryeowook quietly ask his half-brother what happened between the two youngsters but the short haired man don’t bother instead, continue to share his days of being a temporary vice chairman.

Kyuhyun sits on the soft white carpet and Jessica follows hesitantly. Her eyes are avoiding Kyuhyun’s and hands trembling. It was too transparent. She looked nervous.

“Kyuhyun ah, for what happened…I’m sorry. It was an accident. I…I didn’t know you’d fall off.” Jessica said while tears are forming on her eyes. “Please don’t –”

“‘Please don’t tell Siwon and others.’” Kyuhyun continued. His calm demeanor stayed intact. Jessica widened his eyes. How did he know what she’s thinking? “I won’t tell them about what happened. I’ll keep it between us only.”

“R-really?! You won’t?!” Jessica gasped and holds Kyuhyun hands. “Thank you Kyuhyun ah… You don’t know how happy and relieved I am to hear that!”

Seeing Jessica smiling so brightly, Kyuhyun only nod and forces a small smile in return. For him to say all of that doesn’t mean he forget what happened and everything that Jessica said that day.

“Right, I have something to show you.” Jessica then fished out two small papers that looked like tickets from her bag and show them to the other, “I booked this musical ticket last week. I planned to take Siwon oppa but he’s not the kind who loves stuff like that. It’s not nice going there alone and these will be wasted…I don’t know who to give either. So what I’m saying is…Do you want to go with me?”

Kyuhyun thought about it for a moment as he stared between the tickets and her. Right now, is Jessica seriously trying to mend her mistake after all the bullies she had done?

“Accept it as my apology, please?”

Should he give her a chance?

“It’s tomorrow!” Jessica said excitedly as she push the ticket to him then fake a frown, her lips pouting. “Don’t you dare stood me up.”

As another morning ascended, Ryeowook in his non-office clothing since it’s a casual day at work told Kyuhyun to rest more instead of going to school but the boy refused and fix himself with his school uniform.

Kyuhyun’s mood brightens as he’s handed a lunch box and thanked the hardworking man for sparing his time making them. Knowing Ryeowook had been the one working from place to place ever since high school – He remembered the man doesn’t want to burden their aunt – until he’s where he is now, Kyuhyun always admire him for that and made sure to pay back his brother’s kindness and care somewhere in the future.

“Yah, you sure you’re feeling well now?” Changmin asked as Kyuhyun is arranging his books under the desk. Kyuhyun looked back at his friend and shrug, plaster a reassuring smile on his face.

“See, I’m okay.”

“Tell us if you’re not feeling any well.” Victoria concerned, “Cho Kyuhyun, I still can’t believe that happened to you.”

The youngest in their group joins, “Oppa, sorry I didn’t visit yesterday. I had family gathering. But…How did you just fell like that? Do you remember anything before the accident? Were you alone, oppa? Why do I feel like something’s quite off? As far as I know no one had fallen from that stair before…”

“I remember everything. I was alone and just slipped. It’s my fault.” Kyuhyun said.

Sooyoung pouted, “Be careful next time. We don’t want the same thing happened to you again, oppa.”

“I should look my way better from now.” Kyuhyun said with an awkward force smile, avoiding eye contact with his friends. They better not know what happened. It could rise up problems between Jessica and them. He wouldn’t like it to happen. Friendship problems could make you stay awake for nights.

“Kyuhyun ah, let’s talk.”

Minho takes him by the arm and brings him out of the classroom towards where the accident happened. At first Kyuhyun didn’t notice where he’s standing but when he does he pulls his arms away, feeling his heart now beating erratically.

“I know what happened. Jessica pushed you, didn’t she?”

Kyuhyun immediately look away, “She’s not involved in this.”

Minho frowned, “Don’t lie. I heard you were arguing with her but when I got here I saw her pushing you off the stairs! What is wrong with you? This isn’t like you. Why are you trying to cover her?”

The girl could be having more things under her sleeve and the same thing could happen again or even worse.

“From the very start you know him I know you might steal him away from me.”

Kyuhyun realized the things she did were out of jealousy. It was truly frightening how jealousy could shape a person like that. What if soon Jessica knows about his relationship with Siwon, a childhood friend she always had her eyes on? As he recalled more words from her, he gripped his fist and a sweat trailed down his cheeks.

“I hate you. We’ve been by each other’s side until now and I really like him…No…I love him and yet why…Why did he choose you, why not me, who knows him longer than you?! Why, why, why?!”

It could be worse than the previous days.

“Don’t tell me you’re… scared of her?” Minho asked in disbelieves.

“I’m doing this because it’s the only way for her to stop.” Kyuhyun finally lets it out, while his friend’s frown grow deeper not understanding what the other meant. “She won’t disturb me again.”

“What do you mean?” Minho asked and holds his breath as he takes the hint, “Y-you’re not saying that…it’s her who did those horrible things to you?!” Kyuhyun didn’t say a thing but only sigh. “Why? What have you done wrong? You’re always nice to her. I can’t believe this! That wench –” He’s about to storm back to class and confront Jessica when Kyuhyun hold his arm, stopping him from going beyond.

“Don’t.”

“You’re going to let her be?!” Minho snapped.

“It’s all in the past now. Do me a favor, don’t tell others about this. I don’t want to worry them and cause any more trouble.” Kyuhyun said with a sad smile. “Let’s go back. Class is starting soon.”

 

Her wavy brown shoulder length hair made her look fresher regardless her age. The expensive sapphire necklace around her neck and red dress that suits her slim figure portrays her exclusivity, unlike the young man seated before her. With only formal casual clothing which hardly shows class yet oddly striking, his eyes fixated on the watch on his arm, not bothering his no longer warm coffee.

Ryeowook sighs inaudibly and slowly moves his eyes on hers – impassively – for the first time since they entered the café. Until when are they going to stay like that? Who knows but he’d like to admit how blatant Mrs. Choi is for wasting his time on purpose.

“Why did you call me here?” Ryeowook breaks the silence.

Young Ah anger towards the other enlarged. “Stop acting like you don’t know. Yesterday was your doing, isn’t it?”

“It’s not me.”

“Who else know about this except you?”

Ryeowook remembered seeing the news on his phone. It was confusing at the same time surprising for him as well. He wondered who gave such accurate information. No one knew about all that except Jungsoo, Mr. Choi, Mrs. Choi, him and Heechul. The day after the news he asked Heechul and Jungsoo to make sure whether or not they’re the one who give the information but both denied.

“Even if I say that over and over again, I know you will never believe me.”

“What do you expect to get out of this?” Young Ah asked, her face depicts uninterested as if yesterday’s news about the family doesn’t have a great impact on her. She may look composed however her impassive yet sharp glare is enough to lower anyone’s guard. “Money? Tell me how much you want.”

“Excuse me? Are you seriously implying that I’m the one who tipped them?” Ryeowook raised one of his eyebrows in confusion. “I see, now you’re accusing me for something I don’t do! I know you hate me because I’m the son of Mr. Choi’s first wife but do you have to go that far?”

“I am the first wife!” Young Ah raised her voice. “Your mother was nothing but a low life mistress.”

“No. Once a second will stay as it is and will never be the first.” Ryeowook looked around the place, “It’d be nice if father’s here listening to our talk.”

“How dare you call him that?”

“Why can’t I, the first son of your husband’s first wife, call him father?” Ryeowook fired back making the other taken aback.

In a flash a hand landed solidly on his cheek. The voices inside the café ceased. Some stopped what they’re doing shifting their attention to the small commotion.

Ryeowook touched his stinging cheek and lightly scoffed. He doesn’t want to remember how many times she had done this but he didn’t expect she would do that again, this time humiliating him in public.

“Quit the company. I’ll give you three days to hand in your resign. I want you to know your place. I don’t want to see you anywhere near my family again.” If Ryeowook didn’t say all the things above, she wouldn’t have offered him that chance. “I have enough of you leeching on my family. Tell your brother to stop hanging around my son before I take care of it.”

“Please stop. Isn’t it enough? You have everything you ever wanted now. My father, wealth and you were blessed with good children. What more do you want?” Ryeowook closed his eyes and touch the bridge of his nose, feeing mentally exhausted already. “After accusing and threatening me… By now you should be reflecting on yourself after what you did to my family. I’m not going anywhere or quitting the company. You can do anything to me but don’t you dare lay a hand on my brother.”

Ryeowook refused to neither wait for any reply nor spare a look on the lady. Having her presence before him and being showered with accusation made his chest feel too stuffy and with that he just straightly walked out of the café. He doesn’t want to know where his feet are bringing him. They make him carelessly walk on the clear street. People who bumped by his figure shot him kinds of glare yet he’s too unsympathetic to care about such.

How can I make Kyuhyun understand…?

A meeting after another gave Heechul headaches. He sits in the comfortable chair, takes a painkiller bottle from the drawer and gulped down a pill and water right after. He sighs as he massages the bridge of his nose, wondering how his cousin Eunhyuk was able to work so well when they’re literally the same age. “Crazy, that guy’s a total workaholic. Is he even eating well?” He murmured in concern. They may not see each other as often as back when they were young but his care for the other doesn’t change a slightest.

Out of blue he heard a knock from the door. He tiredly asks whoever behind that door to get inside and finish whatever business they have with him. Yet, he didn’t expect to hear a familiar cheerful voice he knew so pretty well lately. It’s still unbelievable how they met through a misunderstanding conflict.

“I thought you aren’t back yet. How’s the meeting going?” Ryeowook said with a smile of sunshine as he placed a bag of lunch. The contagious smile made Heechul did the same, despite how hellish tired he is.

“Fine. I just got back. The one I attended a while ago is the last meeting. I better hurry up and finish the rest before going home.” Heechul eyes landed on the bag, “What’s this?”

“Cheese tonkatsu. Have you eaten lunch?”

Heechul raised his eyebrows and fished out what his half-brother bought for him. Happiness is erupting that he felt tired no more.

He later thanked Ryeowook for accompanying him lunch. Like usual, with chamomile tea before them they proceed with a small chat regarding today’s work. Ryeowook looked at the other with an impressed smile, “You’re getting used to this place. Why don’t you try reconsidering father’s offer?”

“Even though this place isn’t that bad after all, it’s still not my field. I don’t have any second thoughts of filling this position. Have father ever offer you the same?”

Ryeowook slowly nod while looking away. “Yes. But I refused.”

“Ah…I see.” Heechul pursed his lips, thinking of another topic to start again. Perhaps he shouldn’t have asked that question. He could see the uneasiness from him. “By the way, did you saw yesterday’s news?”

Ryeowook only hummed.

“Are you okay?”

“I was surprised. After that, nothing much.”

“It wasn’t you…right?”

“I wouldn’t set myself in trap.”

“I know you’re not that reckless. I’m just asking in case.”

Ryeowook chuckled softly, “That means you’re also suspicious of me.”

“That’s normal. Weren’t you feeling that way towards me too?”

“Like you said, that’s normal.”

“I don’t have anyone in my mind that could come up with that anymore.” Heechul clicked his tongue and murmur, “Who could’ve tipped a media with personal problem like that?”

“Before I came here Mrs. Choi confronted me.” Ryeowook sighed, “Your mother thought I did it as well.”

“There’s no one beside us who knows about it. I don’t think mother is aware that I know about it as well so it’s obvious she’d only suspect you.”

“How is father coping?”

“Father didn’t talk about it with the family so he’s probably coping well.” Heechul smiled a little, “He did the right thing. Otherwise it would confuse Jiwon and Siwon.” After some moment he noticed Ryeowook biting his lips. Is he worried that everything might be exposed and Kyuhyun finding out about them? “Don’t worry, I’ve asked someone to find out who tipped the information. How could they be accepted so easily by the reporter...?”

“It means that someone gave concrete evidence.” Ryeowook placed down the cup back on the table and look down. “Heechul ah, I’ve been thinking about this...” He paused as he could feel his hand trembling. Should he tell the man the things he’s been thinking about earlier?

Heechul dropped his smile and look at the other in concern. “What is it?”

“Should I…tell Kyuhyun the truth before it’s too late? No matter how I wish to turn blind eye so I could maintain their happiness, I don’t think what I’m doing is right. They share the same father and shouldn’t be together because it’s morally wrong. What should I do? I’m scared Kyuhyun might be disappointed if he find out.”

“Oh…” Heechul nods after giving them a thought, “We can’t keep this long. It’s the reality. I think it’s better if you tell him everything. Father will add you and Kyuhyun into our family registration. I’m sorry I couldn’t help convincing him. Just like mother, he still doesn’t know yet that I know you and Kyuhyun are my half.”

“It’s…alright.” Ryeowook smiled apologetically. He felt like it’s partly his fault for involving Heechul as well. The guilt is growing. He somehow felt nauseous from that.

“When are you planning to tell him?”

All Ryeowook wanted is the best for Kyuhyun. He can’t let his brother stay near a family that caused their mother’s death. He’d do anything for that.

“Tomorrow.”

 

The handsome almond haired man in light brown coat removed his sunglasses and hangs it on his suit’s pocket. His striking light brown eyes as he’s now staring at a tablet that was handed by his personal assistant. His sharp jaw line tensed and he shifted his eyes to the other in confusion.

“Anything related to news of Choi Group yesterday can no longer be found.”

He heaves a mocking smile and starts swiping the screen with his finger. He searched and searched between every word yet just like what his assistant said none of the news about Choi Group is written there anymore. He hands the tablet back, “Who stopped them?”

“It’s Madam Choi. The news stopped spreading right away that night. Some users on the webs are still discussing it on forums but most are taken down. I think they’re taking a fast action in removing the traces.”

Shin Donghee didn’t get a reply. From the rear mirror he could see the young man resting his elbow on the car’s window and thumb brushing on lips, one habit that he’s currently in thoughts.

After two stops of traffic light, the silence finally ceased.

“Any complain regarding my temporary replacement?”

“Nothing.” Donghee smiled. “It’s true on the first week he had a hard time adjusting to the work there. So far your cousin is getting better, improved and is doing well.”

“That guy…” Lee Eunhyuk crossed his legs, “He better be ready to fill that position once I hand in my resign letter.”

“I’m afraid your father and uncle won’t permit you doing that.”

“Why do you think so?”

“Because the second son will fill your position once he finishes his studies. But as far as I know none of the son has any interest at the company.”

“I know. If that’s the case they better let others who have the potential to take it. I think that won’t be any problem.” Eunhyuk rolled his eyes as he felt annoyed then murmured, “Sometimes I never understand that family. Why the hell are they worshipping nepotism so much as if it’s the only way to succeed the family’s company? Anyway, you haven’t told my father that I’m here, right?”

The said man nodded, “Yes sir. I’m not going to say anything unless you tell me to.”

“Use the time wisely. We only have a week. Keep doing what should be done.” Eunhyuk ordered.

“Yes sir.”

“Also…Can you look for him again?”

“You mean…The same person you searched for during high school?” Donghee said.

“Yes.”

“Pardon me for asking because this may be rude but, why do you want to search for him again?” Donghee asked since it hasn’t been that long since his boss told him to give up searching for that person.

“There’s something important I have to tell him.”

The car headed for the place he longed to visit instead of his apartment. Back when he was young he thought being a vice chairman might give him the advantage to look cool in front of the family and others. He did his best and does whatever it takes to succeed earlier than anyone would’ve expected at such young age. However now after being in that position he always dreamed of, at certain times he’d like to take back his words. Title is cool, but schedules are busy like hell. Due to that he’s unable to focus on his main goal and personal life.

Everything he done is to look good for the family. He wanted to make the people he adore and love proud of him. Experiencing failure for the first time is enough. Since then it’s never in his dictionary. The personality that he shaped will not make him look weak, ever. Embracing perfection is the best way to survive in this chaotic and cruel world.

Once the car stops in front of the building, Eunhyuk tells his assistant that he’ll be back. With bouquet of roses in his hand he stepped out of the car and heads inside. Each step he takes somehow felt heavy. His eye gently softens at the little houses of people’s loved one. The name that won’t ever be forgotten by their heart is engraved on the small urn. Sole and family pictures were placed there together with their precious belongings.

Eunhyuk breaks his steps in front of the little house of the person he hardly could remember sharing any memories with.

Cho Seojin.

“It’s been a while.” He dropped his head as he pays his greetings before sticking the beautiful bouquet on her house. Standing there for how long he doesn’t bother a minute. One thing he’s aware now is how his mind recaps his lifetime, from childhood, the people he met and interact with that causes roller coaster impacts on his life and perception and lastly on the day when he was told that everything is not what it seemed to be.

“Where should I start? Strange, I can’t even think of any proper words right now.” Eunhyuk murmured with a bitter smile and eyes feel somehow warm, a hint that tears will fall soon. “Have you been well? I’m sorry I haven’t visited you often.”

As he’s now standing outside the building he looked back at the entrance. Please wait…I promise I’ll put everything back to its place He said by heart and head towards the car where his assistant is waiting. Eunhyuk told his assistant the place where he wanted to go next before they went inside the car.

Blue Memento. The shop may have less customer as years goes by however without doubt it holds countless books of memories. When Eunhyuk was young he remembers asking the shopkeeper what the shop name means. She had told him there’s no exact meaning because it varies. It depends on how one would like to understand it.

Eunhyuk touches the wooden table as he looks at the items that are being sold there. Barely anything changes. From snacks, accessories and books that you can rent, this place was a complete play house for his childhood days. With his hand he shakes the small bell on the table. The familiar sound resonate the place, bringing a smile to his face. Apparently it is always placed there for the customer to pay their greetings. He stood there until a figure of elderly woman he hasn’t seen for so long appeared from the TV room.

“Granny!” Eunhyuk greeted first with his gummy smile as he walk towards her. “It’s been a while!”

The old woman adjusted her glasses, “Who…are you?”

Eunhyuk chuckled, no way the old woman he thought as his own granny forgets about him, right? “It’s me, Lee Eunhyuk!”

“Eun…hyuk?” The woman blinked confusedly, “Lee…Eun…hyuk? I don’t remember anyone by that name.”

Hearing that, a rush of disappointment hits him. “Y-you…Really don’t remember me?”

“I can’t be mistaken. But you must be an old customer. Not everyone knows the use of that bell. Is there anything you’d like to buy, young man?” The old woman takes a small book log from the drawer and begins flipping the pages. “Or is there any time capsule you wanted to open or letter you remember sending for someone?”

Eunhyuk gasped, realizing something he missed. He sighed in relief knowing why she couldn’t remember him! “Granny. Ten strawberry milk, six vanilla wafer and two rainbow gums.”

The old woman scans him from head to toes. “Aren’t you too old for that?”

 

The night park that is usually packed with people now looking otherwise yet, the fresh night air and sky decorated with visible stars made him feel that loneliness stays temporary.

“Kyuhyun ah!”

As his name was called by the person he adore Kyuhyun flashes a smile of content as he waves at the voice owner. The boy that’s younger than him only by two months is now before him gaining his breath. Whenever they get to meet like this Kyuhyun tends to ask mentally why Siwon always look handsome in whatever he’s wearing. On the other eye Siwon, admiring his lover from head to toe, often thinks how lucky he is to have such a kind, beautiful and stunning lover.

Soft fluffy brown hair, drowning amber eyes, kissable plump lips and plain white shirt with jeans – such a simple looking clothes – Right now, he is in fact mesmerized by Kyuhyun for the hundredth time.

“Did you wait long?” Siwon asked worrying that he made his lover wait. Kyuhyun shook his head, smiling reassuringly.

“I just got here.” Kyuhyun said and immediately linking his hand with Siwon’s. They fit perfectly with each other as if they were lost puzzle pieces that’s meant to be together. “Siwon ah, you said you want to tell me something that’s why you called me here. What is it you wanna tell me?”

“Are you curious?”

“Of course. It’s what my handsome lover wants to tell me.” Kyuhyun pouted, “Why wouldn’t I be curious?”

“I…” Siwon squeeze their linked hands, “I called you here because I want to see you. I can’t help myself. I just missed you.”

The tip of Kyuhyun ears and is turning red and so does his cheeks, blushing from the unexpected confession. Words are jumbling in his mind and he can’t think of any proper words to say how much he’s happy to hear that. They’ve been dating for a while and yet, just by those gentle words and walking side by side with him, hands fitted perfectly is still making his heart beats faster like during their first date.

“You’re cheesy.” Kyuhyun whispered yet Siwon could hear it.

“Oh, I don’t think so? Is that even considered one?” Siwon chuckled.

“I… missed you too.” Kyuhyun shyly said making the other smiling ear to ear.

The love birds strolled around the park sharing how their day went by. After seeing some snack stall lined up on the street they decided to stop by to fill their stomachs. Kyuhyun bought his favorite childhood snacks. Skewers of fish cake, roasted cheese and sausage, corndog and spicy rice cake with cheese – foods he hadn’t get to eat for quite a time. However, Siwon only stood there by his lover not knowing what he should buy.

They sat at the bench nearby. Kyuhyun then noticed his lover’s empty hand.

“You didn’t buy anything?”

It took Kyuhyun aback at first but when he thought about it again, it’s that not surprising. Siwon being the second son of the family which is why his parents are so overprotective of him, especially when it comes to food he consumes, not to mention Siwon once told him the major places he’s gone to are school and house only.

“Say ah.” Kyuhyun offered to fee the fish cake which Siwon obediently did. After the taste, the taller raised his eyebrows. Whenever he does that Kyuhyun would chuckle since he looked cute and funny. “It’s good, isn’t it?”

“Beyond words.”

Nevertheless, they fondly share the meals.

“By the way, before I came here to meet you I actually hanged out with Jessica. We went to musical together.”

Siwon raised his eyebrows. “Really?”

“Yeah…” Kyuhyun nods, hesitate a bit.

“How did it go? Did you two have fun?”

“Yes. Sorry I didn’t tell you earlier.”

“It’s okay.” Siwon smiled. “Its nice hearing my lover and childhood friend hangs out well.”

“She gave me the ticket yesterday when she went to my house with Heechul hyung. She told me you don’t like musical, that’s why she gave it to me.”

“Wait, yesterday she went to your house with hyung?” Siwon asked quite not believing what he just heard. During dinner with Jessica family Heechul was planning to visit a friend that got an unfortunate incident. Kyuhyun realized what he had said and closed his eyes, did he just slipped? “Heechul hyung said his friend fell off stairs…Kyuhyun ah, don’t tell me that friend is actually…you?”

“Won…”

“It’s true? Why didn’t you tell me?” Siwon frowned.

He never planned to make Siwon worry. Moreover, it involves Jessica, Siwon’s childhood friend.

Siwon takes a hold of Kyuhyun hands and squeeze them gently, “Are you okay now? How badly were you injured? Did you go to the hospital and get checked? And…How did Heechul hyung know?”

“I’m okay now. The doctor said I only have minor injuries.” Kyuhyun assured. “Probably Ryeowook hyung told him.”

“Thank you God.” Siwon sigh in relieve then take Kyuhyun in his embrace. “You’re so lucky you’re okay. Please be careful next time. Watch your steps around stairs now… I don’t want you hurt again, Kyuhyun ah.”

“Sorry for not telling you. I just don’t want to make you worry.”

“You don’t have to. Thing like this of course I should be worried about you.” Siwon said, “But just know one thing. Don’t hide things from me anymore. I don’t like it.”

“Alright…” Kyuhyun smiled, gently patting the back of his lover. “I won’t hide them again from you.”

Siwon then release the hug and fished a box out of his pocket. “I have something for you. Close your eyes.”

Kyuhyun closed his eyes as he was told. He heard a click sound that made him curious. “What is it?”

“Open them now.”

Kyuhyun open his eyes to see two beautiful rings in the small box Siwon’s holding.

“Surprise?” Siwon grinned at Kyuhyun’s bewildered reaction.

“Siwon this is…”

“Do you like it? Your hand, Kyu.” Siwon asked and Kyuhyun extend his hand. Siwon takes a ring out and inserting it on Kyuhyun’s ring finger.

“It’s beautiful…”

Kyuhyun then did the same to Siwon, inserting the ring around his finger. They smile at each other as they stare at their hand that has couple ring on them.

“Thank you, Siwon ah. I love it so much.” Kyuhyun said in verge of tears.

“I’m glad you like it.” Siwon smiled, “This beautiful ring… Will keep us from being apart.”

“It really says that you’re taken.” Kyuhyun chuckled, “And that you’re mine.”

“Yours as well.”

Like usual, hand in hand Siwon walked Kyuhyun home. Ever since that incident when Kyuhyun was attacked by a drunkard, Siwon did his best to never let Kyuhyun walk home alone at night. Before walking in separate ways they hug as they bid their goodbye not far from the house.

“Text me later.” Kyuhyun said, waving at Siwon from afar until he can no longer see him. He turns around nearing his steps towards his house when he spotted a black car parked before their gate. “Is hyung home already? I thought he said he’s working late.” He murmured, “But that’s not his car… Are we having a guest –?”

“Please don’t add us to the family registration. I’m afraid it would cause conflict. The family is gaining the media’s greatest attention due to the recent scandal.” Kyuhyun halted his step as he heard his brother’s voice. Who is he talking to? “We may be half related by blood but my family is my family and yours is yours, father. Think about the image of your company and family.”

Kyuhyun frowned as he mouthed, “Father...?”

“I’m sorry…I always feel bad for leaving the two of you outside my world.” The man said, “Are you sure about this?”

“Yes. Thank you for the offer. Whether we’re not added to the registration, it won’t ever change the fact that we’re your son. Do please respect my decision. I think it’s for the better. I’ve also decided to tell Kyuhyun everything tomorrow before it’s too late. I can no more turn blind eye on his relationship with Siwon. It hurts me knowing that he can’t be with Siwon because they’re half related.”

Frozen in place, Kyuhyun felt like his heart dropped. Suffocation hits him making the view before him turns wobbly that he places his hand on the wall so he could stand still and not falling to the ground.

“For the outcome, I’ll take the consequences. Kyuhyun is a smart kid, I’m sure he understands, hopefully.”

Before his mind continues speaking his inner feelings all of the sudden he felt nauseous that he hurriedly leave the place, emptily throwing up somewhere in the way.

“I mean…the thing you talked about with your friend yesterday night. Don’t you have something to tell me?” Kyuhyun open his eyes now to see Ryeowook staring at him, vaguely bewildered yet despite still in sleepy state it’s pretty much evident for him.

“How much were you listening?” Ryeowook asked seriously almost like whispering.

“I heard you mentioning my name.”

“Hey!!”

Oddly he suddenly heard incoherent alarming voice beside him.

“Are you actually close with Siwon’s family?”

Ryeowook suddenly bang his fist on the table with a very loud thud, making Kyuhyun instantly flinch and stop whatever he’s doing. “You’re really annoying!”

He’s gathering his breath to look at the person who is talking to him when his vision turning blurry.

What’s the meaning of this?

Siwon and I are...

No. That can’t be.

 

AN: First of all I’d like to apologize for the late update. Writer's block got me well this time TTTTT. This may have been the longest chapter for this story but it’s still a long way to go. I hope I'm not too dramatizing this story or...Is this already a melodrama?! Now that Kyuhyun discovered the secret his brother has been keeping, what will happen to Wonkyu and what's with Donghee and Eunhyuk??! Stay tune for more! Thank you for reading! I'll do my best to update more!