Past chapter 06

Passerby

The world may look big for people, but it was actually really small.

 

It was truly unexpected to meet Jessica, as the time he also finds out that Jessica is the childhood friend of Siwon. They were from the same school. There was no wonder Kyuhyun would found out about that. Kyuhyun groaned as he constantly felt like his chest being stabbed over and over again. It was likely as that’s the after effect of falling from such height.

His friend found him not far from where Siwon and others stayed at. They have learnt their lesson especially Changmin, of not to play truth and dare at night and as for Kyuhyun, he realized he had chosen the wrong option. However, if it weren’t for that option, he wouldn’t encounter Siwon. In the end, they found the field trip site and have taken notes of everything of what they will deliver to the class.

“Hyunnie, is this seat empty? Can I sit here?” Jessica said as she takes the seat opposite from Kyuhyun. Why would she ask of it when she’s already sitting? Kyuhyun thought, and what’s with the nickname? Looking around, there are still empty seats to occupy in the cafeteria.

“Oh…You’re already sitting though…” Kyuhyun said hesitantly.

“No one’s with you? Where are your friends?” Jessica asked as she eats. “Hmm…These are good compared to my old school canteen food.”

“They’ll be here soon.” Kyuhyun said, smiling.

Jessica nodded and she place one piece of beef on Kyuhyun’s rice bowl. “I guess I’m here early before them. But…Starting from now on…Can I sit here, if that’s okay with you…and your friends?”

“Oh…I’m…okay with it.” Kyuhyun said as he’s not giving a second thought about it. In his view, Jessica might be a little clingy but she’s kind and soft with a speck of energetic dust within her. Maybe she’s just searching for a friend which fits her best and more of that, she’s friendly. With that, Kyuhyun had no problem accepting her. Though, he still doesn’t understand what made the girl wanting to be his friend on her first day there.

“Don’t stare into space. Eat eat, the beef’s taste good.” Jessica complimented and Kyuhyun just nod. “By the way…How long have you been friends with Siwon oppa?”

“Uh…” Kyuhyun paused, “Not so long ago..”

“Hmm…is that so… It was very unlikely of Siwon oppa to have a friend. What do you like about him?” When Jessica blurted out such question, Kyuhyun choked. “Yah Cho Kyuhyun! Are you okay?!” She said as she patted Kyuhyun on the back. Exactly, why did he choke on that question? He shouldn’t be since Siwon is just a friend he met not so long time ago. And of course, Jessica’s question was not a thing he had ever thought.

Kyuhyun coughed for last time. A moment later group of his friends came and occupy the then empty table. “Look who do we have here?” Changmin whistled, “New boat is sailing, should we leave them alone guys?”

“What? Kyuhyun oppa!” Sooyoung exclaimed, “You’re dating Jessica unnie but you didn’t tell me?!”

“It’s not what you think—“Kyuhyun’s words were next cut by Minho.

“I’m seeing it. You both look sweet thought.” Minho smirked, “Congratulation.”

“Have a pity over your friend guys.” Jessica said as she winked at Kyuhyun. “Seems like he doesn’t want to be teased around and besides, I’m seeing someone. It’s pointless for you guys to match me with Kyuhyun. I am so sorry!” Kyuhyun felt a little bit uncomfortable.

Precisely, why does she need to give him a wink?

Kyuhyun got home earlier than usual since he had stayed overnight for the survey session. He placed his shoes on the floor and walk inside the house. He found Ryeowook seated on the sofa watching the TV as when he usually he found his brother busying himself in the kitchen. The TV was abnormally loud that he had to steal the remote from him and mute the volume.

“You’re back. Hear this.” Ryeowook said, snatching back the remote and turn on the volume back. Kyuhyun clicked his tongue and seated beside his brother. “One of the biggest companies CEO got into car accident.”

“Oh…Which company?”

“LT Food.”

Kyuhyun furrowed his eyebrows and eyes stick to the TV, listening to the news. The reporter said it happened in the morning. There are pictures of the car crash. It was ghastly that Kyuhyun had to look away. He then takes the remote again and switches the TV off, making Ryeowook whines. “I thought you never care about news. Cook me something hyung, I’m hungry.”

“You brat! Cant I at least watch news for once?” Ryeowook scoffed. “You’d think I’ll watch drama for the rest of my life?”

“Says who loves drama.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and pull Ryeowook’s hand, pushing him to the kitchen. “Don’t you feel bad to see your little brother starving?”

 

Ryeowook sigh, he can never say no to the boy. “Alright, kimchi friend rice that is?”

 

“You’ll always be my best brother ever.” Kyuhyun nodded as he patted Ryeowook on the head, before leaving to his room. Walking to his room he passed his brother room. However, something caught his attention. The room was half opened and he peeked through it. It was stunningly messy. Books are thrown everywhere. Almost every drawer was opened and few papers scattered on the floor messily. Kyuhyun wondered, maybe his hyung was going to rearrange some stuff.

“Hyung!” Kyuhyun called.

“What?” Ryeowook answered from the kitchen.

“Do you mind if I helped you tidy your room? It’s really messy…” Kyuhyun offered, “Or…Were you going to rearrange some stuff?”

“Oh…You don’t need to, just leave it.” Ryeowook said.

“Tell me if you need any help!” Kyuhyun said however he didn’t get any reply from the boy.

 

 

Siwon sighed heavily for the god knows how many times as he pace back and forth. His brother was seated, looking at the blank space with thousands of what ifs on his mind while his sister has been crying her heart out nonstop. On the fine morning he received news that his father got into car accident. After hearing the news, the siblings made their way to the hospital where their father will be treated.

He couldn’t think of anything else except for his father’s safety.

His younger brother had left him of illness. He doesn’t want to lose another family member.

“ those drivers.” Heechul cursed under his breath and Jiwon tried to calm him down as she’s still crying. “ them. And if they’re awake, I will kill—“

“Stop….” Siwon eyes never leave the surgery room entrance. “There’s no use of blaming. No ones to blame. Do you think by releasing your anger on them will change everything?... What’s happened already happened….”

“You—“Heechul stood up and grab Siwon on the collar. “Shut your mouth. You don’t understand—do you want to lose another family member? If father were to die in this surgery—”

“If father were to die in this surgery… What will you do?” Siwon said with challenging tone.

“I-It’s their fault and I’m going to tear everything out of them.”

“Alright, you’re going to blame everything on them, sue them, releasing your anger or either kills them, do anything you want. Go ahead. But, will that change everything?” Siwon paused, “Will that bring father back?”

“…” He stared at Siwon and the boy stared at him back, eyes blank but Heechul knows the boy is holding up his tears.

Siwon scoffed, “You’re the oldest one here…Try to think mature for once.” As Siwon let those words out, Heechul loosen the grip. The surgery entrance opened and one surgeon walked out from the room. Siwon directly approached him and showered him with lots of question regarding the surgery and his father’s health.

“The surgery was a success.” The siblings sighed in relief as they heard that. “It was a miracle. Right now he needs lots of rest. Thank you so much for waiting patiently.”

 

 

Kyuhyun offered to wash up the dishes after the fine lunch made by no other than his brother. For the things his brother had done for him, suddenly the thought of helping his brother to rearrange the room emerged on his mind. He then asked Ryeowook whether he could help him with the rearrangement. After persuading him several times the older finally agrees.

“Careful not to step on these papers, they might be the important ones.” Ryeowook said and Kyuhyun instigate to collect the papers. “What’s wrong with you today? You’re not being yourself. You never like tidying someone’s room, especially your own room.”

“I don’t know.” Kyuhyun knelt down as he checked on some papers. “It appeared on my mind after I saw how messy your room was. My room might be messy but, I think you’re the one who’s not being yourself here hyung. You never liked your room messy. Was it bad if I want to help you? Can’t I be a nice brother for once?” He sighed, “Books doesn’t have a life, but it’s not worth to be thrown hyung.”

“I’ve red all of them.” Ryeowook said as he places some stuff on the box. “By the way, it’s been quite a while. Are there any news of that tape player returner?”

Kyuhyun smiled, if he were to mention Siwon, he would remember what happened during the night when he’s lost. “The tape player boy, his name is Choi Siwon.” Kyuhyun remembered Siwon saying he’ll be staying by his side and that made him feel blissful. “We became friends.”

“Really? I told you before that you two would get along.” Ryeowook said contently.

Kyuhyun hides his smile again and grab more stuff to hand it over to his brother. Helping his brother like this was the thing he barely do. Maybe from now on he should help his brother more often. While picking up some stuff and asking Ryeowook whether it’ll be thrown away or be kept, he spotted some black and white picture frames.

“How about these hyung?” Kyuhyun asked, “Are those going inside the box? They look really old though…”

“It’s mothers.” Ryeowook said plainly. “I’m going to put them in the box, unless you want to keep them.”

“Oh…” Kyuhyun smiled as he saw the picture of his mother. The small picture frames consist of the picture when their mother was still in high school. “Mother looked beautiful.” As Kyuhyun place the last small picture frame on the floor, his smile fades as he came to the medium sized picture frame.

“It’s burnt and… half torn.” Kyuhyun frowned. “Why keep it here?”

“That picture…It happened when you were still a little boy Kyu.” Ryeowook sighed, “Back then I still couldn’t understand what mother was feeling, until now I never know why it happened. It was the first time I saw mother breaking down. She torn the picture in half and burnt it down. The other half was completely burnt but still it was mothers’ so I decided to keep it secretly. Did you find it there? I don’t even remember ever putting it there. You could still see half of her body figure though.”

Kyuhyun’s gaze changed to look at the picture once again before taking it out of the frame. “I’ll keep this one.”

“Fine by me.” Ryeowook chuckled, “That reminded me when I first met you Kyu.”

“Why?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Aunt said that mother asked her to take care of me since I was a baby. That way I never had the chance to meet mother until she came to auntie’s house with you, Kyu.” Ryeowook smiled as he reminisce the time. “You were so small and cute that I kept on having the urge to play with you but I was so shy. I was so happy to meet mother for the first time and hearing that I’ll be having a baby brother too made me happier. So I bought mother a flower and a teddy bear for you as a gift. That time you were hugging your own teddy bear which has its left hand torn. When I said you could have a new better one because I bought a new one for you, you cried saying you like the torn one better!” Hearing such story from Kyuhyun made him to stare at his brother in disbelieve,

“Hyung, you’re saying that I like things that were torn?”

“Exactly.” Ryeowook laughed, “The fact that you wanted to keep mother’s picture which was already torn in half.”

“Doesn’t mean I like things that were already torn!” Kyuhyun yelled as he throws Ryeowook a pillow.

The next day Kyuhyun carry out the same routine he did every week. The air was really cold and plus it was raining. Running with his highest speed, he quickly closed his umbrella as he gets himself into the bus. He wondered whether Siwon will be there. He somehow expected Siwon not to be there though something different happened. Siwon was there seated on the usual spot looking out to the window, not giving any response as Kyuhyun take a seat beside him until Kyuhyun decided that he should be the one who moved first.

“Choi Siwon—“

“How are you feeling?” Siwon suddenly asked, making Kyuhyun taken aback.

“I’m…fine.” Kyuhyun said, biting his lower lips as he thought of what to say next. “Say…About that morning…I’m sorry I had to leave first since…” He halted as he realized Siwon closed his eyes in force and breathing unevenly, drops of sweat begin to trail down to his cheek. The air was really cold and it was strange for Kyuhyun. “Siwon, you okay?”

“…”

“Siwon?” Siwon opened his eyes then in force closing it again. Kyuhyun frowned and begin to worry of his friend’s condition “Siwon? You’re sweating… Are you okay?” He discerned that the boy’s hand seems to tremble in which Kyuhyun doesn’t know why. He had this urge to hold his hand too and calm the boy down but should he? Kyuhyun mentally shook his head and decided to take a hold of Siwon’s hand in case if it could quiet him down. Out of the blue Siwon linked his hand with Kyuhyun and the boy could feel him gripping his hand too tight, still trembling and making him stunned.

“Two minutes.” Siwon said, turning his head over to the window again. “Two minutes Kyuhyun….Lend me your two minutes…” Kyuhyun couldn’t say anything aside from sympathetic of Siwon’s request. Seconds later he could hear silent sobbing as Siwon cover his nose to prevent the sobbing to be heard but it was too late since Kyuhyun already heard them. Kyuhyun sighed and with his other hand he brought Siwon’s head to rest in his shoulder.

“It’s okay…Let it out…” He didn’t know what happened to him nor the thing made him cry. But what he could do right now is to comfort him. It may not be enough however at least as a friend he cares of him, just like how Siwon is always there for him, that’s what he could do.