010

Passerby

“Bugsy! Come here boy!”

 

Heechul called the family’s adorable dog and start patting it on its head. While caressing Bugsy Heechul was smacked on the head by some kind of force that reminded him of not seeing his brother plays with Bugsy ever since his return from Incheon. Heechul wonders, Siwon really loved Bugsy and always pampered it. Sometimes whenever Heechul talked, Siwon always focused on the dog than bothered to listen to the older one.

But now, things just seem a little bit different.

Aside from those, Heechul as well noticed the boy’s peculiar behavior. Heechul may not show how he felt as he talked to Siwon, but he’s certain that the boy had something hidden within him.

Heechul in addition sensed Siwon was missing a part of himself. It’s as if Siwon was there in figure, not with his conscious mind state. “What am I thinking…” Heechul snorted as he’s refused to work with his judgments and to let any more unbelievable assumptions to enter his thoughts.

Other things shouldn’t matter. As long as his brother is back, nothing else matters. Heechul thought one more time, nothing else should matter, right? Yet, why was he feeling strange whenever he sees Siwon? He patted Bugsy on the head before leaving from his spot. Somehow he had this thought of having a brother to brother conversation as it has been quite sometime. Siwon’s room was upstairs, Heechul made his way there casually.

He halted in front of Siwon’s room and was about to knock on the door until he noticed the room was a little bit opened yet he could also hear small conversation going on between Siwon and the detective.

“Heechul hyung… He never talks fondly of her as her brother in law. Don’t you think by that something was off?”

Heechul’s thought of brag in changed as he heard his name mentioned.

“I’m not sure though...Maybe Heechul hyung was never getting along with her in the first place. My family had the same state too. My cousin never liked his brother in law and they never treat each other nicely.”

Heechul saw Siwon standing up, pacing back and forth.

“But…It could be more than that, with the reason of her not being here.” Donghae continued, “As much as he’s not fond of her, do you think Jessica will not be here just because of that?”

Siwon stopped, “Are you implying there’s another reason?”

“It could be the two of you were fighting. It could be family problem.”

“What?”

“Not a one hundred percent sure, but it’s possible. With her not being here…Maybe the two of you were on the way to…divorce?”

Heechul’s frown grew deeper as his face turned pale. He stepped back from the door and his breath hitched. Why was Siwon talking as if he didn’t know anything about Jessica? It was true Heechul never liked Jessica. It was also true that Siwon never give a damn about her however, now that Siwon was talking that way as if he really doesn’t know anything about her made Heechul more doubtful of the boy’s behavior.

The door soon opened by Siwon, followed by Donghae behind. Siwon had this staggered expression on him which was perceived by Heechul. “Heechul hyung?”

“Oh…Siwon ah….” Heechul had to remove those frown on him with a smile. “I was about to ask you for a drink outside. Are you busy buddy?”

Siwon shook his head, smiling. “I’m not. Drink? Sure, why not?”

“Donghae, you coming?” Heechul said, “My treat!”

“Thanks for the offer hyung but…I’ll leave you guys alone then since I have something to do! Have a good sibling’s time!” Donghae said before he leaves from their sight.

Heechul took Siwon to his regular café nearby. It was small yet cozy. They were seated oppositely and start to converse each other. Strange for Heechul, his brother was indeed in front of him yet he felt like talking to some random stranger. It was already on his mind that Siwon was different from the Siwon he knew.

“Do you know? Hae asked me about Jessica.” Heechul tried to bring up that topic.

“What about her?” Siwon asked, still doesn’t react.

“I heard he’s interested in her.” Heechul said, eyes sticking to his coffee cup. “He wants to know more about her. It was ridiculous. He was complimenting about Jessica being pretty, gorgeous, this and that. Anyway, Jessica won’t be home since she’s on vacation at London for the past five months. I asked for a wine souvenir but she refused to buy one for me. Oh right, the vacation…Did she tell you any of that?”

Siwon take a sip on his coffee before talking, “She did.”

 

Heechul changed his gaze from his coffee cup to his brother.

 

Did he hear that right? Jessica wasn’t on vacation. The older doesn’t even know if Jessica’s still breathing. Did Siwon lie? Yeah, he could be lying, saying things sarcastically. That was the nature of being a sibling with Heechul, he get to receive his nature from him.

“There’s something I’m curious about.” Heechul paused, “While you were in Incheon… What really happened to you?” Heechul now noticed Siwon blinked his eyes in confusion. “Siwon ah, I’m asking, while you were in Incheon for five months straight without bothering to contact us, what really happened to you? How did you get to be treated in hospital?”

“I had something to do in Incheon and I got...sick.” Siwon said, “That’s all.”

“Did you meet anyone there?”

 

Suddenly Kyuhyun appeared on Siwon’s mind.

 

“You mean Donghae? I heard from him that you sent him there in search for me.”

“Anyone else?” Heechul asked, making Siwon let out a nervous chuckle.

“What are you talking about? Who else hyung?”

“Did you not see Kyuhyun there?” Heechul doesn’t know what kind of thing he had in mind that he asked such question to Siwon. However, what made him astounded was how Siwon reacted to the question. The latter just stared at him, eyes widening with what he didn’t know it holds kinds of questions. The trembling hands of Siwon didn’t go unnoticed by Heechul.

“Siwon?” Heechul try to touch Siwon’s hand to wake him up. “What’s wrong? Siwon? Yah, did you meet him there?” What made Siwon that surprised? Heechul thought. Perhaps the latter did meet him during his days in Incheon. However, when he was talking to Kyuhyun on phone, why did the boy pretend not to know anything about Siwon’s whereabouts?

He knew it, Siwon is hiding something.

What are they hiding?

While on the other side, Siwon had these doubts in mind. How did his brother knew Kyuhyun and why? What is the connection between them? What is Kyuhyun to Siwon? What is he to Kyuhyun? Didn’t Kyuhyun confess to him that he was no one but stranger? If Kyuhyun was someone he knew, why did he lie to him?

 

All these time the person that waited for him to wake up from coma and took care of him for months is actually not a mere stranger?

 

“You got into a car accident and it happened right in front of the passersby’s... and one of them… was me. I just saved you and brought you here to hospital…When I found out that you can’t remember anything—”

 

Why?

 

“Siwon ah…I want you to get better so you can do the things you used to do.” Kyuhyun said, smiling as he taps Siwon’s hand gently. “That’s why you have to finish your meal. You might have a less appetite but your body needs it. After this you’ll drink your medicine. Come on eat, the food is getting cold.”

“Tch… alright alright.” Siwon said, “But, aren’t you going to feed me?”

“Just because I’m feeding you every time I’m here…” Despite saying that Kyuhyun take a spoon of rice and side dish and feed it to Siwon. “But don’t worry… I’ll feed you while I’m still here.”

“What is that? Are you leaving me?” Siwon stopped munching.

“I am here. I. Am. Not. Leaving. You.”Kyuhyun chuckled, “I just don’t want you to skip your meals when I’m home doing my work...”

 

“Kyuhyun…What is Choi Siwon to you?”

Kyuhyun stop pushing the wheelchair and rest his arms on the wheelchair pusher. “Hmm…Next time I should take my recorder and record that question of yours. Do you realize how many times you asked that?” He chuckled.

“I do. Maybe your answer can help me to regain my memories.”

“Alright…” Kyuhyun hummed. “Choi Siwon is my number one savior. Do you know why he’s my number one savior? He saved me many times that I lost counts of it. Whenever I’m struggling with something that I couldn’t comprehend by myself, he’s always there for me. I find it funny since I thought that he had sent some men to watch me over but the thing that he’s always there made me touched…‘Everything’s going to be alright, I’m here for you’…That… was what he always said…”

“He must’ve really cared about you.” Siwon said, “I’m sorry that it has to be like this.”

“Don’t be sorry.” Kyuhyun said, smiling. “It’s not your fault.”

“Then…Do you have something that you want to say to him?” Siwon said and he received no reply from the latter. “I know that the doctor said I have a small percentage less than three percent to regain my memories but…If you have something you been really wanting to say, please let it out. I may not be the same Choi Siwon you used to know—“Siwon halted as he felt an arms hugging his neck and a small weight on his shoulder. He could feel Kyuhyun’s calm breathing begin to harden and few sobs can be heard.

“Siwon ah…” Kyuhyun said between his soft sobs. “I missed you and…I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…”

 

“Oh…” Siwon smiled, linking his hands to prevent it from trembling longer, “I met him…"

“As simple as that…” However, the older seemed to be displeased with the answer again.  “I’m asking that... it seems that you're not here, I feel like waking the hell out of you.” Heechul plastered his frown with a smile.