Past Chapter 08

Passerby

“See you tomorrow?”


Right…See you tomorrow.


If there were no people around, probably by now he’ll be banging his head on the wall. He does realize his one mistake just after Siwon left the bus. He blushed, right in front of Siwon. Just because the boy ruffled his hair, why does he have to blush? Why did he blush? Why did he act as if it has a really big impact on him? He stops walking and gasps, what if Siwon noticed? Just what the hell is wrong with him? Wouldn’t Siwon might think he’s a weirdo to blush because of that?

Now he felt like screaming and hide from the world.

Just one step ahead to the class when…

“Hyunnie!”

Kyuhyun heard Jessica’s voice calling and he sighs heavily. Can he just live without having her clinging to him all the time at school? When the time he’s about to turn around, he felt a heavy weight on his back, almost bringing him down kneeling. The book he held fell down to the floor and the arms that were wrapped around his neck becoming tighter, making his face red as he chokes.

“Jessi—ca!!”

Others begin to whisper and giggle at the funny sight of two people piggy back riding, or so they thought…

Why on earth was she offering herself for a piggy back ride? Kyuhyun thought.

“I can’t breathe—” Kyuhyun chokes.

“Omo!” Jessica gets down and picks the books on the floor. “Sorry Hyunnie, you look really tall so I wanted to try jumping behind your back…” She then hands Kyuhyun the book. “Here, your books.”

“Thanks.” Kyuhyun massages his own shoulder and goes inside the classroom.

“Kyuhyun!”

“What is it?”

“N-nevermind!” Jessica walks past him and Kyuhyun just sighed.

The bell rings just in time and the math teacher came in just in time making some students whine in results. The class starts full of boredom and ends really fast and it was really unexpected for Kyuhyun. He thinks maybe from that the day will end fast.

“I almost forgot… Pair yourself in four for each group, next week the groups have to present each topic from chapter nine. Have a nice day.” The teacher said before leaving the class. Suddenly Kyuhyun felt a familiar feeling of being pulled out of his seat and when he looks to the side of course, it was no other than Jessica.

“Minho, Sooyoungie and Hyunnie,” Jessica says, “Is this group will do?”

“Sup’ fine by me.” Minho agrees and so does Sooyoung.

“Let’s do it at…” Jessica points at Kyuhyun. “Your house.”

“Not a bad idea, why not?” Minho says after seeing the disagreement face on Kyuhyun. “We could play games after that.”

“Let’s do it tomorrow.”

Kyuhyun sighed as he drag his legs towards the bus stop. The bus arrived shortly just in time when he’s not in the mood to wait for the bus any longer. He takes a deep breath before going in. Siwon will be there and he has to do his best not to blush, remembering what had happened when Siwon ruffled his hair.

 


Jessica bid her goodbyes to others before leaving the classroom. The dismissal ended really fast that Jessica thought it was a half day school. As he stepped out from the school gate her driver in the black Mercedes car was waiting for her. She went inside and closes the car door, not bothering to greet back the driver.

“Kyuhyun!”

“What is it?”

“N-nothing!”

She bites her lower lip as she nervously opens her school bag. Finally getting what she searched for, she tries to open the brown leather wallet one more time but fail and timidly taps the seat. She was aware that her driver was trying to steal glances at her action and it annoyed her,

“Ahjussi, what are you looking at?”

“Young lady, are you okay? You look quite a bit pale young lady...”

“Oh really?” Jessica touches her face and looks at it one more time at her pocket mirror “You’re right…but I’m fine.”

The wallet in her hands was not hers. She never had any old brown looking leather wallet before. Instead, it was Kyuhyun’s. He dropped it when she tries climbing on his back. The wallet was opened when she was about to return it back but something she saw in glimpse made her to keep it and thought of returning it later.

As much as she hated him for getting too near with her Siwon, as she tries to do silly things to gain his trust, she never intended to steal his wallet and take whatever money he got in there. Why would she steal it when she got tons of money in her credit card? When she sees her driver focused on the road again, she tries to open the wallet again.

What gains her attention was the one small black and white familiar looking picture. It was half burnt however it somehow gave her familiarity. It felt like she has seen the picture somewhere. It was a picture of a woman, a beautiful one indeed, standing on the left side of her three friends in their school uniform. The picture was not really clear since it’s half torn and half of it was fading black, burnt. Jessica assumed the first woman she sees was Kyuhyun’s mother given that the woman resembles him so much, or maybe his sister?

Then she averted her eyes to the one man beside the woman resembling Kyuhyun who’s smiling brightly at the camera. Seeing that the man beside her she presumed he is either his sister’s boyfriend or Kyuhyun’s father.

Jessica analyzes the picture once again and pouts. Was her mind playing tricks on her again? The picture on her hand was no other than old school group picture. She nods, she realizes of seeing too much black and white pictures that somehow made her to think that she seen the picture before. She the looks at her driver, “Ahjussi, have we passed the Kim Market yet?”

“Just half way through we will be passing there, was there something wrong Young Lady?”

“Please drive faster, I want to go home…I’m hungry…”

 

 

“Are you ill?”

“Huh?” Kyuhyun looked away, “N-no...Why?”

Siwon furrowed his eyebrows. Kyuhyun was really quiet when usually he would blabber much things. It was pretty stranger for him. Curious, Siwon sticks his hand on Kyuhyun’s forehead. It was quite warm however he wanted to make sure just a little bit longer that it was Kyuhyun’s heat, not from his hands. He couldn’t move and so does the other. Kyuhyun looked a little startled but no words came out from him. They stayed like that, mind unconscious of their surroundings.

Yet, both didn’t know for whom and why their heart is making a ruckus inside.

When the bus stops and as they could hear the bus’s door opened, they shifted from their position. Siwon free his hand from Kyuhyun’s forehead while Kyuhyun gazes down on his feet, flushed.

“Sorry I just…” Siwon fixes his gaze. “You’re warm. I think you’re not feeling well. You better take the medicine—”

“I…don’t think so,” Kyuhyun sticks his palms on both sides of his own cheek. “I’m fine…Siwon…I’m not ill…”

“Oh…”

Silence fills them for a moment until Siwon decided to start first,

“Kyuhyun?” Siwon called suddenly, making Kyuhyun flinched.

“Y-yeah?!”

“You—What’s wrong with you?” Siwon raised an eyebrow while Kyuhyun just looking dumbfounded, “Yesterday you were noisy and now you are all quite. Did something happened? Did you have a fight at school? Did someone bully you? Did you get into trouble?” Siwon asked and Kyuhyun body heat rises as he’s filled with questions that doesn’t seem to relate why he was acting such way.

First, nothing really happened except how he’s still thinking of Siwon acted affectionally to him. Two, he never once engaged into a fight at school, he’s not a gangster. Three, he never got bullied except receiving teases from his friends. Four, he sometime gets into trouble because of his cheeky personality however then the teachers doesn’t really have the will to scold the boy since he’s holding name of the ‘top student’ in school.

Why does the tall seem really care of him? “Or—Did someone just confessed—?”

“N-not in a million years!!” Kyuhyun surprised by Siwon’s last assumption. How could the boy think that far? “What made you think of that?” Kyuhyun nudge the boy playfully while Siwon chuckled. “Yah Choi Siwon, you are thinking too far!”

“Just so you know, as a future business man I have to be able to predict things. Well…I mean…who knows.” Siwon shrugs and ruffled the boy’s hair again. “At last talking normally, with that I know you are fine now.”

“Not so professional aren’t you?” Kyuhyun sighed, smiling. Siwon ruffled his hair again. Despite that he think the boy shouldn’t do that however at the same time he liked it. Nothing much nothing less, he just simply likes it.

“But you look better now!” Siwon whined. Kyuhyun blinked, did Siwon just whined?

“Alright alright.” Kyuhyun laughs, that was a really rare sight of Siwon. He stuck his tongue out to the boy and says, “Exert more effort!”

“Alright teacher!” Siwon said as he patted Kyuhyun’s hair.

“I’m not a teacher!” Kyuhyun decides play with the joke while holding out his laughter, “You’re making it sounds like I’m older!”

“What? Says who said things about being older!” Kyuhyun honestly couldn’t think anything more than being touched by how Siwon simply try to cheer him up when in fact today was all about avoiding any of Siwon’s talk. Sure Siwon doesn’t’ know because Kyuhyun was too shy to admit. However, it seems that the more he’s trying to do it the more he can’t. Right from now on, Kyuhyun will make sure he will do no more of that. He will just let things flow out like how he and Siwon normally interact. After all, they are friends, right?

“Choi Siwon, do you like my hair that much?” Kyuhyun removes Siwon’s warm hand that still placed on top of his head, placing it on the other’s head instead. “Don’t worry, I’ll cut some for your birthday.”

“This brat.” Siwon scoffs, and starts to poke Kyuhyun’s tummy.

“Yah, stop it. Stop! Wasn’t that right? You like my hair? You keep on touching them!” Kyuhyun is trying hard to hold his laughter however failed when Siwon reaches his weak spot, making Kyuhyun to burst out in laughter while Siwon couldn’t stop grinning at what he’s doing. Kyuhyun begged him to stop while trying to tickle Siwon as well.

“Didn’t you hear me?!”

“What? What did you say?” Siwon said as he kept on tickling the boy.

“Stop! That’s not fair! Let me do it too!” Kyuhyun couldn’t stop laughing. “Choi Siwon!”

 


Heechul sat there in silence for god knows how long looking at the sleeping figure ahead of him. Such scene has always been a déjà vu to him since their father has been staying in the hospital, Heechul always get to search for a free time just so he can watch his father at the hospital. Same as for his mother, she always came to watch her husband.

He wouldn’t let the kids skip school as they are in their busiest year. But at the very least Siwon and Jiwon always came to visit either or not when they are busy.

He stands and leaves the room, having the urge to get a drink from the vending machine. Heechul breathes in and out and looks around, it was nice for him to breathe a fresh air for once in a while. As because the vending machine has different kinds of drinks, it took him a while to choose one for himself. Minutes of fighting with his inner self he at last decide he should get a warm coffee.

Satisfied with taste as he takes a small sip, he made his way back to his father’s room. Sliding the door to get inside, he almost dropped the can as he saw a figure’s back facing him, seated on a chair beside his father. The figure doesn’t move at all, seemingly looking quietly at his father’s sleeping figure. Heechul halt his breathing, seems like the man doesn’t hear the sliding of the door.

A few meters away he stands still, staring at the man. Heechul also noticed a rose refilling the clear vase, he assumed the man must’ve bought it. What staggered him of his appearance was, he never saw the man before. Even from how the man looked from the back, he never recall ever meeting him before. Who is he? One of father’s acquaintances? One of mother’s acquaintances? One of the workers on his company? Heechul could consider that.

But as something hits him he frowns. The media releases more details of his father’s accident no more, including the location and etcetera. Moreover, people who doesn’t have any relation can’t have a visit unless they have a really important appointment with special permission from the Chois which Heechul will take over to represent his father.


Just how did the man get the access to visit his father?


For the second time he wonders, who is he? Trespassers? Journalists?


What the ? Did they manage to risk themselves and bribe the hospital just to get more information? Heechul was horrendous at the thoughts and was about to pull the man’s back collar and beat the out of him when his eyes catches the man’s shoulder beginning to slowly jerking up and down, head lowered, hands shifting to hold his father’s hand. Soft sobbing could be heard, within seconds it fills the silence.

The frown on Heechul fades as he saw the sight. Did he guessed them wrong? For the man who was crying like that, he must’ve been a very good friend of his father, doubting for someone who look so young. He must be someone whom his father once help since his father is the kind of person who loves to help others despite his popularity and endless wealth.

Heechul sighs and made his way out slowly, decides to rest himself by standing, leaning against the wall until he emptied the coffee. The wait took a time and when the man finally slides the door to leave, Heechul’s eyes meet with his. The man expression changed from a frown to puzzlement, yet to be followed by panic.

“Stop right there.” Heechul stopped him when the man was about to leave. “Who are you? I never saw you before.”

“I’m just…” The man continues to walk again. “His friend.”

“Friend?” Heechul scoffs and halts him again by standing in his way. “You’re hesitating. The most irrational excuses I’ve ever heard but I saw you crying there.”

“Oh…” The man sighs calmly yet playing with his nails. Heechul could see that he’s nervous since he had this same habit of playing with his nails when he’s nervous. “Is that...so?”

“I went inside and saw a stranger in my fathers room. I thought you were some journalists…If it wouldn’t for your crying I would’ve beat the hell out of you.” Heechul said. “Because I’m a kind person at heart I thought I should give some stranger a time. You should be glad that I’m in my mood to considerate things.”

“…” The man didn’t even lift up his head and see Heechul in the eyes.

Whats with this man?

“Seems like you know my father well.” Heechul sighs, “Even crying for him...What are you? His temporary assistant? Did father once help you with your life? Are you a friend of him? How... did you get the access to visit him?”

The man finally lifts up his head to meet Heechul’s eyes and no longer looking nervous as he stopped playing with his nails.

“I already said...Your father… I’m just a good friend of Mr. Choi.”

 

As simple as that?


“A friend—” Shouldn’t he just consider things then? His father has lots of connections around the countries and cities, there’s no wonder if he had a friend as young as the boy in front of him. Probably this boy is another rich family heir? As his son he wasn’t supposed to be surprised of it either. Suddenly feeling guilty, he look everywhere so that the man won’t notice them. “I was rude, but I won’t apologize. It’s best for my fathers safety. The medias out there are doing their hell job to gain more information about the company and my father’s state.”

“That’s okay. I understand.” The man gives Heechul a half smile. Through standing in front of him, Heechul could see the man’s face clearly. Once again he give the man’s eyes a look again, yet the feeling of ever seeing him before suddenly came. He’d seen those eyes before. How come he didn’t realize them? Heechul stares at the man intently until the man shifts uncomfortably.

“I should go now…Excuse me.” The man said and walk past him.

“Have we met before?” Heechul asks out loud.

The man didn’t even halt his steps anymore for Heechul, continue walking ahead of him. He just send Heechul a short wave with saying back out loud, “First time.”

 

 

“Rock, Paper, Scissors!!” Kyuhyun exclaimed. He gives out a paper while Siwon gave out a scissors which results Siwon to win. Kyuhyun pouts, crossing his arms and look upfront avoiding to whine another lost.

“You’re good.” Kyuhyun looked away.

Siwon chuckles, “My sister and I often play this. I learn quite a good things from her. She’s …fond of dragging me into the stuff that she likes.”

“Little Jiwon?” A smile formed on Kyuhyun’s lips as he asks about Siwon’s little sister. “She looks just like you. How old is she?”

“She’s fourteen.” Siwon said.

“Did by any chance she dragged you to play dolls and tea time?”

“No.” Siwon said, “That matter took care by Heechul.”

“Your brother?” Kyuhyun laughed, thinking that someone serious like Heechul would do something like that. The thought of Siwon’s brother doing something for his sister like that made him quite touched. Doing something to cheer people up despite their cold look, seems like the two brothers are the same after all.“Really? That’s awesome.”

Siwon just smiled at Kyuhyun’s answer.

“You have two siblings…” Kyuhyun nods, “I have an older brother, we live together under the same roof—” In spontaneous Kyuhyun gasped as he look around, “Wait…What time is it? Why is it dark already?!” Kyuhyun sighs, resting his head against the headrest. “I guess…The bus has been going around when we were playing.”

“Look ahead…it’s your bus stop.” Siwon said calmly and Kyuhyun remove his head from the backrest, to look at the bus stop. The bus finally came to stop and Kyuhyun stands from his seat,

“I gotta go now.” Kyuhyun smiles while Siwon just nod.

The boy head towards the opened door quickly and got off from the bus. From the place he’s standing he could hear the bus is going away further from his bus stop place, Siwon is going farther away. He couldn’t content his happiness, the day was flowing unlike his expectations.

 

He had a great time with Siwon. No avoidance and the awkwardness simply faded away.

 

Kyuhyun turned around to watch the bus when his eyes catches Siwon’s figure standing a centimeters away from him, now walking towards him holding a seemingly dark blue leathered bag.

“Your bag.” Kyuhyun look up to Siwon’s face. “You left it.”

Dark blue leathered bag? Kyuhyun touches his shoulders to find himself not carrying any bag. He faced palms and sighs, embarrassed of another burden he gave to Siwon.

Why is he always like this?

“Siwon…I-I’m sorry…Leaving you with another burden…” Kyuhyun flushed and take the bag from Siwon’s grip. “Thanks…For this.” He stared down at his feet, swaying it back and forth. “Your…bus?” He still couldn’t believe Siwon would just get off from the bus just to return his bag because of another great stubborn act.

“It went away.” Siwon sighs and walk ahead after giving Kyuhyun an obvious look. “Why are you just standing there?”

“Huh?Oh—” Exactly why was he just standing there? Wasn’t he on his way home? Kyuhyun catches up to Siwon until he’s walking beside him. Smiling while looking down on the ground, Kyuhyun managed to hide his smile from Siwon by pouting and giving the other a suspicious stare, “Why are you following me?”

“I’m not.” Siwon inserted his hands on his coat’s pockets. “Weren’t you the one who followed me?”

“I’m afraid this route is the way to my house.” Kyuhyun successfully hides his grin. What happens next is, he didn’t get any reply from Siwon. Still he thought the boy would just separate himself away from him however, in contentment Kyuhyun was still walking side by side with Siwon. Did Siwon purposely walk along with Kyuhyun because the boy wants to walk him home? No words were spoken after that, until they finally reaches Kyuhyun’s house.

“We’re here...” Kyuhyun smiles. “Thanks…for helping me returning my bag and…for walking me home.”

“Friends…help each other.” Siwon said, half smiling. “You don’t want the drunkard accident to happen again.” Kyuhyun slightly raised his eyebrows at the answer. Was that the reason why Siwon decided to walk him home?

“R-right…” Kyuhyun nods, scratching the back of his non itchy neck.

“Why don’t you get inside? The air is getting cold…”

“I ….I don’t know whether my hyung has arrived home… That’s right, since we’ve been playing…Actually I was wondering… perhaps you want to have a dinner together with us?” Kyuhyun said as a gratitude which Siwon kindly refuse.

“I have to go home now.” Siwon said and he got another chance to see the glint of disappointment from Kyuhyun’s eyes. With that Siwon gave Kyuhyun another soft ruffle on his hair again which he thought has become a habit. “Thanks for today, my friend.”

Kyuhyun nods, face heating and he couldn’t feel the cold air anymore. He wished he could slow down his heart that’s beating too fast. “Thanks for today too…I… had fun…” He said, turning his back to Siwon as if he were to stay in that position any longer his heart might explode.

After giving Siwon a last smile which the boy replies back with a smile, this time he literally decided not to look back again and instead dash inside. He couldn’t content the heartbeat that has been beating wildly. He’s not even sure whether he would survive having his heart beating really fast. His breath becomes unsteady and when he finally reaches inside, he slams the door and slide down weakly to the wooden floor, not even bother to put his shoe in the shoe box place.

“Ahh—what is happening?!” Kyuhyun breathes, gripping his right chest as he could feel it beats wildly. Drop of sweats begin to trail down on his cheeks. He tries closing his eyes and breathe calmly, however it only brings him to the moment when Siwon affectionally checks his temperature, sticking his big hand to Kyuhyun’s forehead.

 

That one moment when they stuck in their own world, eyes staring right into each other.

 

No words were spoken when their eyes speaks.

 

While at the very last moment when Siwon mesmerizingly returned his smile at him, which spontaneously gave him a butterfly in the stomach flying its ways in mess and some electric sparks.

 

“Siwon? No. That can’t be. Impossible.” Kyuhyun tries to reassure himself. He opened his eyes and stick his hands into his cheeks, feeling the heat as he’s flushed. He sighs and stands, walks ahead to his room. “Since when did I become like this?”

Kyuhyun places his bag down on the wooden floor before taking off his coat and hang it on the coat hanger. He changed clothes, taking off his uniform and change it to casual clothing. Something crosses his mind and he checks the back pocket of his pants, turns out his small wallet wasn’t there. Panic arises, he opens the zip of his bag and begin to roam his hands inside.

“Maybe I placed it here—"

The brown haired boy gasps, taking out his books one by one until he emptied the bag. “My wallet…Where did I left it?” He deepened his frown. He must’ve left it somewhere since he clearly remembers bringing it to school. He tiredly brought his palms to his face and falls to his bed on his back. His wallet went missing. Something crosses his mind, probably someone had took it? If his wallet will return by next week on his school desk with its money missing, he wouldn’t even mind nor care and give a damn about them.

The only thing that he’s concerned about now is the picture of his mother. The picture is precious and as dearest as any of them that he and his brother collected. He couldn’t bear loosing any, even one or a single piece of them.

“But…Since when huh…” Kyuhyun sighs, resting his hands on his stomach. When Siwon’s perfect figure appeared on his mind again, unexpectedly his heart skips a beat. If people were to ask whether or not he likes Siwon, yes, Kyuhyun likes him but only as a friend. Siwon has been a very good friend to him despite the great invincible icy cold wall that surrounds the boy, seemingly preventing him to accept hands from others.

Even so, the boy had always been there even when Kyuhyun never expects him to. Siwon is always there even when or not Kyuhyun needs him. Being by Siwon’s side gives him the peculiar warmth and comfort. He just likes it, being around him. He may not know him very well yet however Siwon strangely gives him the feeling of longing. As time passes he realizes that Siwon started to reveal more of himself to him and he is grateful, with that he could know more about the boy.

With that too, he now know his effort of melting down Siwon’s icy wall is working and is never been a waste.

“Choi Siwon…” Kyuhyun closes his eyes when a moment came drifting him to sleep.

But why does his heart beats in ruckus whenever he’s thinking of him?